Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
I deleted an album from iTunes (Deftones - Around the Fur), then re-imported it. The reason for that is because it was annoying me that track 10 appeared before track 1, for reasons unknown.

Obviously I've lost my playcounts for this album, but is there anyway to rescue them for that album from my iPod? If I sync up my iPod, will it update the playcount automatically, or will it reset it back to 0 to match up with iTunes?

I dont know if i can somehow connect my iPod to my Mac Mini, enable disk mode, copy a file, then connect my iPod to my PB (my main iTunes library) to sync then copy over the play counts for that album?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
You could have fixed the order of the songs in tags, usually I "get info" on each song individually, make sure each has the right Song Number, then "get info" on all the tracks at once, and make sure they all have the exact same album name (click the checkbox to sync it) and total number of tracks. If track 10 had an extra space in the album name, or it didn't have the same number of songs as the rest of the album, it'll appear at the top or bottom of the album.

Moving on, you should be able to find an app at versiontracker.com to restore files from your iPod (there are several apps, I don't know which one is better). If you get the song files back, just fix the tags (PM me for help if the above instructions are confusing) and you're good to go.

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
If you happen to remember the playcounts or want to make a blind guess, this script lets you set the playcount for a song.

Edit: If you connect the iPod using "Manage songs manually", you should be able to select a song, Get Info, and see the playcount (summary tab). You could then use the script to then set the playcount of the file in iTunes.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Playcounts and last-played are not stored in the song file, they're stored in the library database file "iTunes 4 Music Library" (in Home > Music > iTunes) which also has your playlists.

I don't know what the iPod will do when you connect--it's worth a try--but what you really need is a recent backup of that library file. You could move the current file out for safekeeping, drop the backup in, then launch iTunes to see what the count was. Then quit iTunes and put the current library file back (since it's probably more up-to-date in other ways).

Once you know the count, you could use that script--or if we're talking low numbers, just play the end of the song a few times to trip the counter. Drag the dot almost to the end while playing a song, let the very end play, and that's what gets counted.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Thanks for all your suggestions.

Yeah I did manually do get info and check boxed - Artist and Album are exactly the same.. wierd huh?! I still have the songs on my harddrive, so iPod recovery doesnt really matter. I can get the ratings off my iPod, and I'll try that script to get the play counts back, once I can hook the iPod up to my mini.

I figure when I hook it up to my mini it'll tell me that its synched to another computer, so i'll say no when it asks me if I wanna sync to my Minis library. that way I can enable manual updates, write down the play counts then use that script.

I'm liking AppleScript more an more each day - especially when I can get scripts from websites.

:EDIT: Oh I figured out why the last track was played first - I hadnt put in the disc count! Pff!
Oh and Plugging it into my Mac Mini didnt work well at all - it looked as though it synched up with that, but it actually deleted some tunes (although both iTunes librarys should be almost the same). It didnt ask me if i wanted to sync with this library, wheras it always did when I had it formatted for PC and used with Mac.
Now my Powerbook library is loading over to my iPod from scratch - and its times like these you realise how slow Firewire 400 actually is!

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
Whyren said:
If you happen to remember the playcounts or want to make a blind guess, this script lets you set the playcount for a song.

Edit: If you connect the iPod using "Manage songs manually", you should be able to select a song, Get Info, and see the playcount (summary tab). You could then use the script to then set the playcount of the file in iTunes.

Whyren, you are awsome! I have been looking for a script to do this for a very long time. I downloaded it and it is sweet. Thanks for telling everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.