Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frlane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
Hi all, I have a i7 iMac running Lion. Something is currently sucking up my hard drive space. I don't mean 'Boy I've put a lot of crap on my machine, what do I get rid of'. I mean, I have over 200GB of space last week and I have watched as the free space has slowly drained until it warns me that the HD is full. Even today I erased a bunch of items, cleared up about 20 GBs and then watched as it dwindled before my eyes back down to nothing.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

Ray

MartyF81

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Chicago IL
Install a program like Daisy Disk, and it will show you what is using your space. That can help you determine the culprit.

frlane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
Install a program like Daisy Disk, and it will show you what is using your space. That can help you determine the culprit.

Running it now, thanks! Will it be able to show me what is slowly sucking this up, or just show me where an old video file is that I forgot about. I have already gone through the drive, cleared out a ton of space and with no programs running, watched as the hard drive space goes down. In fact, while typing this, I have watched my hard drive go from 167.5 down to 165.22 :confused:

ianray

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
@
Daisy Disk looks nice (though I did not buy it yet). I have previously used Disk Inventory X, that provides great visualizations too.

DavidEther

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
Just to drop my two cents:

I personally prefer Spacie for scanning my hard drive(s). DaisyDisk is pretty but I feel like Spacie is a lot more straightforward. Just scans your disks, orders folders by the largest, and you just browse through them like Finder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.