PDA

View Full Version : iPod cloning software?

Jedi128
Jul 24, 2005, 05:23 PM
I'm looking for some software that will let me clone the songs from my current iPod to a new iPod. I really don't feel like re-importing 3GB's worth of songs back into iTunes and reloading all that music to a new iPod. Is there anyway I can just plug both iPod's in at once and clone the one to the other?

Note: I do have an iMac with two firewire ports so this is possible(or I suppose I could use fireware and USB 2.0 together....).

combatcolin
Jul 24, 2005, 05:37 PM
Took me 2 hours to copy 5000 odd tracks back over to my iPod.

Of course Firewire is slow on my pc, normal plain vanilla PCI slots and not the groovy new faster wider PCI that is on new MB's.

Took 30 minutes on my sisters 1.25Ghz eMac.

javiercr
Jul 24, 2005, 05:55 PM
I'm looking for some software that will let me clone the songs from my current iPod to a new iPod. I really don't feel like re-importing 3GB's worth of songs back into iTunes and reloading all that music to a new iPod. Is there anyway I can just plug both iPod's in at once and clone the one to the other?

Note: I do have an iMac with two firewire ports so this is possible(or I suppose I could use fireware and USB 2.0 together....).

you don't feel line importing it to itunes? don't be some lazy, it's a one off thing and you should have a copy of everything in a HD or DVD anyway, an Ipod is a hardrive that you carry in your pocket, the thing will eventually break, you better have a backup of the music.

Although it's an April's fool joke I guess and iCopulate would be what you're looking for http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/icopulate.shtml

Jedi128
Jul 24, 2005, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the laugh, but I'm not dropping $70 on a one time deal. I guess its not much of a problem..... it will take forever to re-upload all those songs from CD's though. I keep all my music I buy from iTMS on two computers plus my iPod. All the other music on my iPod is from CD I've purchased. Which I usally delete those CD's after importing them and adding them to my iPod. So now I will have to re-import about 12 CD's and add all those songs to my iPod. I have 500 songs on the thing right now, but I've only purchased 50 some of them from iTMS. I guess the only way is re-importing everything.....

iJon
Jul 25, 2005, 02:50 AM

I have some suggestions but some questions too. First of all, why would you have to reimport all your songs into iTunes just cause you have a new iPod? Did you never have the songs in iTunes to begin with? Also, I transfer 30GB of music at any given time when I get new iPods, 3GB shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes if that long.

Now if all above doesn't apply, just use Carbon Copy Cloner to make an exact copy of the iPods. Despite the music is hidden in invisible folders, CCC should work regardless.

jon

katie ta achoo
Jul 25, 2005, 02:52 AM
just a thought, but could he make a disk image from it in disk utility, plug the new iPod in, and restore to it? (i think thats the word... hmm)

Jedi128
Jul 25, 2005, 12:19 PM
I have some suggestions but some questions too. First of all, why would you have to reimport all your songs into iTunes just cause you have a new iPod? Did you never have the songs in iTunes to begin with? Also, I transfer 30GB of music at any given time when I get new iPods, 3GB shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes if that long.

Now if all above doesn't apply, just use Carbon Copy Cloner to make an exact copy of the iPods. Despite the music is hidden in invisible folders, CCC should work regardless.

jon

Here's the deal: I usally get a CD, import it in iTunes, transfer it to my iPod, then delete the CD from iTunes to save space on my HD. SO... If I wanted to clone the iPod I would have to re-import all my music from CD's. I have 17 CD's that I have music from. I would have to re-import 17 CD's and thats what would "take forever." Transfering music from iTunes to an iPod is very fast and I wouldn't complain about that! Sorry if there was any confusion.... and thanks for the advice.

iJon
Jul 25, 2005, 01:05 PM
Here's the deal: I usally get a CD, import it in iTunes, transfer it to my iPod, then delete the CD from iTunes to save space on my HD. SO... If I wanted to clone the iPod I would have to re-import all my music from CD's. I have 17 CD's that I have music from. I would have to re-import 17 CD's and thats what would "take forever." Transfering music from iTunes to an iPod is very fast and I wouldn't complain about that! Sorry if there was any confusion.... and thanks for the advice.

Ah ok, that makes sense. Just CCC then, should work just fine.

jon

Heb1228
Jul 25, 2005, 01:09 PM
17 CDs? Yeah that would take forever... :rolleyes:

tdhurst
Jul 25, 2005, 02:59 PM

You are going through all this trouble for SEVENTEEN CDs? Come on man, five minutes a CD would take about an hour and a half...you will spend five times that waiting on the forum for answers and then downloading, figuring and using any software.

tdhurst
Jul 25, 2005, 03:01 PM
Carbon Copy Cloner doesn't work with Tiger, by the way.
Quick tip though..rumor has it Apple hired the guy who wrote the program and incorporated it into Disk Utility's Restore function. It works just as well.

Heb1228
Jul 25, 2005, 03:06 PM
Quick tip though..rumor has it Apple hired the guy who wrote the program and incorporated it into Disk Utility's Restore function. It works just as well.

Interesting info on CCC, can anyone confirm?

Jedi128
Jul 25, 2005, 03:36 PM
You are going through all this trouble for SEVENTEEN CDs? Come on man, five minutes a CD would take about an hour and a half...you will spend five times that waiting on the forum for answers and then downloading, figuring and using any software.

Actually I haven't even bought a new iPod yet... I'm just checking to see what I'm in for if I do decide to buy one. I have 3G 10GB if you can't read my signature and I'm looking to buy a new 60GB iPod. I might wait though to see if Apple will come out with a middle line iPod (kinda werid with the 20/60 dont you think, what I really want is a 40GB.... guess I could look on eBay..) or just drop the price of the 60GB. I'll probably buy it late 2005 like Oct, Nov, or Dec...... I just want to be prepared and know what I'm in for to answer your question...

iJon
Jul 25, 2005, 04:33 PM
Then he can use SuperDuper (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22126). Works just as well.

jon

musiclover137
Jul 25, 2005, 05:42 PM
17 cds?
i doubt many people here will have much pity on you. i won't, for one.

Jedi128
Jul 25, 2005, 05:56 PM
17 cds?

Ya, I know its not a lot compared to some people..... just looking for a way to save time. Thought it was a question that not just I would benefit from.......

iJon
Jul 25, 2005, 07:07 PM
17 cds?
Last time I checked he wasn't looking for any pity :rolleyes:. He wanted an answer to a question and from the looks of it only I and a few others actually gave him some answers.

jon

Jedi128
Jul 26, 2005, 10:11 PM
lol. Thanks iJon....