PDA

View Full Version : Apple Planning Major Overhaul of iTunes to Emphasize iCloud and Sharing

MacRumors
Jun 27, 2012, 08:33 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/27/apple-planning-major-overhaul-of-itunes-to-emphasize-icloud-and-sharing/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/itunes_10_icon_150.jpg

Bloomberg reports (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-27/apple-said-to-prepare-itunes-overhaul-improving-storage-sharing.html) that Apple is preparing a major overhaul of its iTunes software to more closely integrate its iCloud services and add new features for sharing music.With an increasing amount of content available on the store, the overhaul is intended to improve how people manage all their files, one person said. That includes changes to how users find new material and how they access what they already own on different Apple devices, said one person.

One of the main ways Apple will attempt to improve discovery is by making it easier for people to share songs, a popular feature of Spotify Ltd.'s music-subscription service. Apple has been negotiating with major record labels for rights that would let a user listen to a song sent to them from a friend for free, one person said.Apple's iCloud efforts will improve organization of users' own content while also the company is also considering splitting out some functions of iTunes as it did yesterday on iOS with its new Podcasts app.

Apple is also looking to include more multimedia content in the iTunes Store, requesting more photos and music videos from artists to help broaden its offerings.

The revamped iTunes application is set to launch before the end of the year and is said to be one of the largest sets of changes since the iTunes Store's debut in 2003. As announced at its Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this month, Apple is also working to improve the iTunes experience on iOS, revamping its digital store apps in iOS 6 to aid users in discovering new content.

Article Link: Apple Planning Major Overhaul of iTunes to Emphasize iCloud and Sharing (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/27/apple-planning-major-overhaul-of-itunes-to-emphasize-icloud-and-sharing/)

AustinIllini
Jun 27, 2012, 08:34 PM
With the increasing popularity of streaming services like Spotify, this update is LONG overdue.

smallnshort247
Jun 27, 2012, 08:35 PM
This is great news. Hopefully they get rid of some of the iTunes Match/iCloud issues that I've been experiencing.

unplugme71
Jun 27, 2012, 08:36 PM
With the increasing popularity of streaming services like Spotify, this update is LONG overdue.

I hope they don't divide the app into individual stores. iTunes and Mac App Store are enough. No need to put more icons on my dock.

AustinIllini
Jun 27, 2012, 08:36 PM
This is great news. Hopefully they get rid of some of the iTunes Match/iCloud issues that I've been experiencing.

Agreed. I'm hoping that iTunes match will feel more "native" if that makes any sense.

unplugme71
Jun 27, 2012, 08:37 PM

and not only have the option to hide unwanted stuff, but also delete it permanently.

gmanist1000
Jun 27, 2012, 08:41 PM
I could see them mimicking the stores on iOS 6 to keep them consistent from iPhone to Mac.

URFloorMatt
Bet this takes up a slot at the iPhone 6th gen unveiling.

1) LTE
2) Larger Retina display
3) NFC
4) Revamped iTunes
5) Quad core processor?
6) 720p front facing camera?

That could be everything.

AaronMT
I wonder if we're finally getting a Cocoa re-write of iTunes.

kiwiboi87
Jun 27, 2012, 08:43 PM
yay, great news

hopefully we will see it come september?
i also hope they don't break it up, keep it all in the same app.
just more easy to use.

also i would welcome the option to remove stuff from iTunes match,

LagunaSol
Jun 27, 2012, 08:43 PM
Good. Dump that ugly icon while you're at it.

belltree
Jun 27, 2012, 08:45 PM
Please keep this as an option and not mandatory as I have no intentions of using any iCloud services at anytime.

thederby
Jun 27, 2012, 08:45 PM
and not only have the option to hide unwanted stuff, but also delete it permanently.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4915?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

rorschach
Jun 27, 2012, 08:46 PM
LONG, LONG overdue.

Hopefully we will finally get better ways to organize content. I mean, jeez, we're still forced to tag movies using "Artist" and "Album" fields. :rolleyes:

http://i.imgur.com/8ScUJ.png

DTphonehome
Jun 27, 2012, 08:46 PM
About time. iTunes was overdue for an overhaul a long time ago. It's a bloated mess at this point.

Keebler
Jun 27, 2012, 08:47 PM
I'm interested to see what they'll do. Overall, I enjoy iTunes, but some tweaks here and there would be good.

I don't, however, care much at all for the sharing music integrating spotify etc... I don't use that at all. I wouldn't be using the cloud either for music. I'm still manual at updating the families music interests. Everyone has different choices in my house so I'm not sure how that would affect us.

but who knows...maybe it would in a good way.

driceman
This sounds like good news to me. iCloud content does feel a bit hidden on Mac and PC since it's under the "Purchased" section, one of many on the righthand side. I don't really like the organization of the store in the first place, either. There's got to be a better way to find stuff than sifting through content sideways, whether on the computer version or iOS.

The Store needs more help than searching through the content you already own, though- I think they've got a pretty good system for that. I would like some changes in the Music app on iPad, though. I don't know about anyone else, but I like listening to all of the songs by a certain artist and nothing else on my iPhone, and on iPad it stops after the album is done. Sure you can make a playlist, but I see no reason not to change it.

deannnnn
The fact that it's still called iTunes is what bothers me the most. If the app was renamed, then iTunes could be the name of the music store within the app.

AxeluteZero
I've been dying for a new iTunes forever. It's a big, bloated program. :\

dsuriano
Jun 27, 2012, 08:48 PM
The revamped iTunes application is set to launch before the end of the year and is said to be one of the largest sets of changes since the software's debut in 2003
iTunes 1.0 was released on January 9, 2001

AidenShaw
About time. iTunes was overdue for an overhaul a long time ago. It's a bloated mess at this point.

Yes, put the bloated pig on a diet.

nagromme
Maybe the iOS device management panes will no longer contain separate, non-scaling, independently scrolling interfaces boxes WITHIN the larger scrolling iTunes view? Maybe that madness will end?

Jason S.
Jun 27, 2012, 08:50 PM

iTunes became a Cocoa app for OS X Lion last year: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/20/apple-releases-itunes-10-4-as-64-bit-cocoa-app-for-lion/

IzzyJG99
Jun 27, 2012, 08:54 PM
Aside from the introduction of Coverflow not much as far as the interface has changed. Be nice to see something new overall.

marcusj0015
Jun 27, 2012, 08:56 PM
APPLE STOP SPLITTING APPS, holy **** what is your obsession with having a hundred icons everywhere?!

----------

The fact that it's still called iTunes is what bothers me the most. If the app was renamed, then iTunes could be the name of the music store within the app.

There's almost a decade of crazy marketing and brand awareness surrounding the "iTunes" name, Apple won't just throw that all away.

coder12
Jun 27, 2012, 08:56 PM
Thank goodness! iTunes is one of the most pivotal (if not the most pivotal) pieces of software out there for Windows/Mac, and it's also become one of the most bloaty. May this update be great!

AustinIllini
Jun 27, 2012, 08:57 PM
APPLE STOP SPLITTING APPS, holy **** what is your obsession with having a hundred icons everywhere?!

Sounds like iOS. Hopefully they don't force five apps on us.

gregwyattjr
Jun 27, 2012, 08:58 PM
Can they fix the Music app on the iPad now?

PlaceofDis
for the love of all things i hope they do split it up finally. i don't know why i am managing books in a music app or my mobile applications in a music app. and ffs make an OS X iBooks app so we can read our books on our Macs too. no reason not to since the displays are being retnified there too.

mtrctyjoe
Since I have discovered Spotify months ago I have not even accessed my music through iTunes. Subscription for me has been a far better option for discovering new music and listening to whatever I want, whenever I want. iCloud for me has also been a big disappointment - it works spoty at best. I don't think a new UI will bring me back to Purchasing music through iTunes - at some point in time Apple is going to need to move to a subscription model - I am sure that I am not alone.

kiljoy616
Jun 27, 2012, 08:59 PM
I hope they don't divide the app into individual stores. iTunes and Mac App Store are enough. No need to put more icons on my dock.

Not impressed either with all the icon littering in IOS One place to do everything is what I like, checked out the podcast app, went back to old music app, not impressed on either the iPad or iPhone needs way more work. :(

Podcast more than half don't have a standard icon showing what its about and the new iPad podcast app does not show name. :(

Jason S.
Jun 27, 2012, 09:01 PM
There's almost a decade of crazy marketing and brand awareness surrounding the "iTunes" name, Apple won't just throw that all away.

I could see Apple keeping the iTunes brand for music, but using the iCloud brand for movies, TV shows, and other media.

WildCowboy
Jun 27, 2012, 09:01 PM

Thanks...I fixed the wording on that. They were using the 2003 debut of the iTunes Store component as the reference point.

kiljoy616
Jun 27, 2012, 09:02 PM

1) LTE
2) Larger Retina display
3) NFC
4) Revamped iTunes
5) Quad core processor?

That could be everything.

Quad core if only. Not holding my breath on A6 just yet, thinking same CPU as iPad v.3 NEW :rolleyes:

mtrctyjoe
Jun 27, 2012, 09:03 PM
for the love of all things i hope they do split it up finally. i don't know why i am managing books in a music app or my mobile applications in a music app. and ffs make an OS X iBooks app so we can read our books on our Macs too. no reason not to since the displays are being retnified there too.

Agreed.

kiljoy616
Jun 27, 2012, 09:03 PM
Can they fix the Music app on the iPad now?

If you don't like that try putting podcast app on the iPad :rolleyes:

AustinIllini
Jun 27, 2012, 09:04 PM
If you don't like that try putting podcast app on the iPad :rolleyes:

The podcast app is a good idea, but its execution is poor. I wish Apple would go back to spitting out quality software at day 1, not after being in beta for a year.

kiljoy616
Jun 27, 2012, 09:05 PM
Agreed.

Originally Posted by PlaceofDis

That fine if you can remove them but to have to create a folder just to put all the useless icons that people don't use or want to use. iOS need to have a way of deleting obsolete apps. :mad:

Sedrick
Jun 27, 2012, 09:08 PM
So I can listen to a tune a friend sends me for free. I'll stick to spotify, thank you.

I will welcome the rebuild of that bloated sack that is iTunes on the PC.

fertilized-egg
Jun 27, 2012, 09:08 PM
As an iTunes match user, I just hope to have a really light music player that goes well with the service...but it'll be tough job splitting up all the different functions served by the current incarnation of iTunes.

Quad core if only. Not holding my breath on A6 just yet, thinking same CPU as iPad v.3 NEW :rolleyes:

My guess is a quadcore CPU with higher clocked GPU from A5 (not A5X) as it's probably an easy upgrade for Apple. I really wish we could get a dualcore A15 instead though but that probably won't happen until the next iPad.

ablashek
Jun 27, 2012, 09:12 PM
I hope they dont incorporate the wooden interface. It looks good on n ipad, not sure about a mac.

kiljoy616
Jun 27, 2012, 09:13 PM
The podcast app is a good idea, but its execution is poor. I wish Apple would go back to spitting out quality software at day 1, not after being in beta for a year.

Here, here, hard to believe how fast things have changed. Does anyone miss iOS 4 iTune? I don't hate iTunes on iOS 5 but having no control of what I can see or not is so ANNOYING.

haruhiko
Jun 27, 2012, 09:15 PM

I need to have a dedicated "Apple" folder on my iPad, and it's almost full now:-

iPad's Apple folder: Messages, Youtube, Music, Videos, Photo Booth, iMovie, iPhoto, GarageBand, Reminders, Find Friends, Cards, Trailers, Contacts, iTunes, Camera, FaceTime, Podcasts...:eek:

noty
Jun 27, 2012, 09:16 PM
I could see Apple keeping the iTunes brand for music, but using the iCloud brand for movies, TV shows, and other media.

I agree, they really need to offer a subscription option. I love Spotify but recently switched back to iTunes just for Siri support since I listen to a lot of music in my car. So I either want Siri support for third party apps or a subscription option from iTunes.

Unfortunately I don't think either will happen anytime soon.

Obi-Wan Kubrick
Jun 27, 2012, 09:18 PM
From something called iTunes I would say that only a small fraction of it is for music. They need to move the iphone/ipad/ipod touch apps to it's own store. At least for OS X users.

Icaras
Jun 27, 2012, 09:20 PM
I can't wait for this update. Really excited about a major overhaul. Hopefully not just the app but also the store layout as well.

On that note, what I'd personally really like to see is Apple dismantle the iTunes app completely. I actually prefer enjoying and managing my content in iOS through it's separate Music, Video, iTunes U, and Podcast apps, so I would love to see Apple mimic this feature in the next version of OS X by having these separate media apps. Then the iTunes app could simply be the Store. I'd rather have several separate smaller, streamlined apps than one huge bloated iTunes app that tries to do everything.

Just my two cents. Though I know many people might not want to go this direction.

Thunderhawks
Jun 27, 2012, 09:23 PM

Not to worry.

It s going to be

The NEW ITunes

EbookReader
Jun 27, 2012, 09:24 PM
I wonder when Apple will debut a streaming subscription service like Spotify.

Spotify is already the #2 "sellers" in term of revenue for the major labels. More than Amazon, Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart etc..

Spotify is now the No. 2 revenue source for the major music labels, a source close to the company tells us.

The No. 1 revenue source for labels is Apple's iTunes.

iTunes paid approximately $3.2 billion to record labels in 2011, Business Insider Intelligence estimates.

The gap between Apple and Spotify remains extremely large, our source tells us.

"iTunes is way up here," our source said, gesturing up high, "and everyone else is way down here."

It's easy to see why

http://spotifyroyalties.blogspot.com/

Spotify Revenue:

2008: $0.612 million USD
2009: $18.1 million USD
2010: $99 million USD
2011: $236.4 million USD
2012: projected at $889 million USD

Spotify Valuation:

February 2011: $1 billion valuation
May 2012: $4 billion valuation

riverfreak
Jun 27, 2012, 09:24 PM
Since I have discovered Spotify months ago I have not even accessed my music through iTunes. Subscription for me has been a far better option for discovering new music and listening to whatever I want, whenever I want. iCloud for me has also been a big disappointment - it works spoty at best. I don't think a new UI will bring me back to Purchasing music through iTunes - at some point in time Apple is going to need to move to a subscription model - I am sure that I am not alone.

You're not alone at all. Apple needs to tone down the rhetoric about how people don't want a subscription service, that they want to "own" music. There's really no point in owning digital music, except for the compulsive chroniclers and librarians (of which I am admittedly one) who need to change tags to suit their whim. Spent decades acquiring music on LPs, cassettes, CDs, another decade ripping and organizing. Done with that.

Record companies, sinking under the weight of piracy were pitched a stopgap option from Apple -- the sale of digital copies, but better yet without the headaches of hardcopy distribution. The prospects of subscription models put forth by dorks like Napster were pathetic. Spotify, despite some bizarre and annoying quirks, gets it right. Why buy some stupid album that I then have to store, and back up, and think about?

Of course, the implementation of usage based internet charges (in the US) could seriously put a crimp on subscription services...

pheenix11
Jun 27, 2012, 09:26 PM
How about iTunes Match for Movies and let me store all 2TB of my movies that I already ripped from Blu Ray & DVD in the Cloud?

dotheDVDeed
Jun 27, 2012, 09:27 PM
I assume this version will require an intel chip.

Pretty cool that I can run iTunes server with the current version on a Mac Mini with a PPC Chip.

CaryMacGuy
Jun 27, 2012, 09:27 PM
Maybe they could change the name of the software. iTunes is not just about "tunes" anymore.

bedifferent
Jun 27, 2012, 09:29 PM
Maybe they could change the name of the software. iTunes is not just about "tunes" anymore.

iMedia?

(Wow, didn't realize I'd offend)

nuckinfutz
Jun 27, 2012, 09:29 PM

Or maybe it's a verb now.

"Tune" into the store and grab the content you need!

Drunken Master
Jun 27, 2012, 09:30 PM
Please keep this as an option and not mandatory as I have no intentions of using any iCloud services at anytime.

Resistance is futile.

EbookReader
Jun 27, 2012, 09:30 PM
Of course, the implementation of usage based internet charges (in the US) could seriously put a crimp on subscription services...

Spotify does have the "offline" mode option. You can store up to 3,333 songs and listen to them without an internet connection.

So it is possible to use Spotify on your smartphone and not use even 1MB of data.

as for Usage charge, Comcast has a 300GB monthly limit. Even if you stream spotify 24 hours a day for 31 days, it would only be a fraction of that 300GB limit.

GovtLawyer
Jun 27, 2012, 09:32 PM
When iCloud debuted I lost some calendar entries as it attempted to sync all of my devices. I do not want everything on one device to be on all of the others. If it gives me compete control over what I have and where, and it allows me to control it all - simply - then I'm for it.

nuckinfutz
Jun 27, 2012, 09:35 PM
Isn't it about time for a GD home server??

guzhogi
Jun 27, 2012, 09:36 PM

it's also become one of the most bloaty.

If it stays a single app, how can it become less bloaty?

lzyprson
Jun 27, 2012, 09:36 PM
I can already see the iTunes store on the apple tv box set being the next MTV in terms of watching or setting up music video playlists on a tv.

http://http://skreened.com/render-product/i/u/y/iuyaahfyejwwdyjalohr/wtf-happened-to-the-music-t-shirt.american-apparel-unisex-fitted-tee.lemon.w760h760.jpg

Earendil
Jun 27, 2012, 09:37 PM
You're not alone at all. Apple needs to tone down the rhetoric about how people don't want a subscription service, that they want to "own" music.

While we're making request, could all you subscription junkies tone down the speaking for others? Why must all these discussions be a zero sum game? Can't we have both, and that be okay?

There's really no point in owning digital music

There is for me. I rent things I throw away, or can't take with me. I buy things I have a continued use for, and want to do with as I please. There was an argument in the past that renting all your LPs might have made sense, because incompatible formats were coming and going by the decade. There is little argument for that now, as the "format" is transferable and flexible. Heck, it's already been in existence for over two decades!

But to each their own. If that makes financial sense to you and your use, fine. I have my own desires and expectations for my music, and spotify doesn't cover it. Digital non-DMR files do.

iEvolution
Jun 27, 2012, 09:44 PM
The iCloud service is just terrible in my opinion.

Its been how long since itunes match was released and it STILL cant distinguish explicit from clean music. Not to mention its incredibly intrusive and just does what it wants with virtually no options.

iCloud is also automatic in nature with crap for options, it just does it own thing too.

Both need a serious overhaul because they are awful services in the way they are now, hopefully this big refresh will finally give iCloud some usefulness.

I really hate how Apple has one program for music content, another for podcasts, another for books, another for apps its just ridiculous that they couldnt have streamlined them all together on the iPad.

darbus69
Jun 27, 2012, 09:44 PM

why so narrow minded? iCloud works great and is friggin convenient!

PlaceofDis
Jun 27, 2012, 09:47 PM

and its free unless you want iTune's Match.

adversus
Almost immediately when I signed up for Spotify when it came out in the US. I loaded iTunes maybe twice since then.

And I've saved tons of money from buying music. Instead of buying 4-5 albums per month at, a minimum, $10 a pop, I just Star it on Spotify.

If Apple had a streaming service, I'd be all over that. But at the end of the day having ACCESS to tens of millions of songs for one low monthly price far outweighs owning the 1's and 0's.

Radio
about damn time

for years ive been saying how bloated itunes was

but noooooooooooooo take some apple koolaid and it's okay it's a huge itunes.exe file that takes a while to load up

MacAddict1978
Jun 27, 2012, 09:56 PM
And if they take out the bloat and make iTunes actually responsive, I'll be really happy. I mean, because every music player needs 20 seconds before it understands the pause command.

MattInOz
Jun 27, 2012, 09:58 PM

Why do I even need an app to manage those things?

I like the Newstand model. A super lightweight app that just presents me a browser of that content. Sure it does some stuff in the background to keep things up to date, (or sharing with other devices and apps). Each gets a store button if I want something new, but for the most part it's right to the content.

Some what like a Smart Folder but it can generate the search dynamically based on content and use the search on the collective stores.

jmull
Jun 27, 2012, 10:03 PM
All I really need from iTunes is Flac support. They never throw me a bone.. Everything else is fun but I'm not a silly nilly so I don't pay those prices for that type of format. :) Put some actual CD's up for sale like Amazon, mail them to me and I'm a customer, or just offer the equivalent to CD quality for download. Ain't no lossy content in my house! :apple:

gco212
Jun 27, 2012, 10:08 PM
Terrific news. iTunes is by far the worst application I use on a regular basis.

drewyboy
Jun 27, 2012, 10:11 PM
I need to have a dedicated "Apple" folder on my iPad, and it's almost full now:-

iPad's Apple folder: Messages, Youtube, Music, Videos, Photo Booth, iMovie, iPhoto, GarageBand, Reminders, Find Friends, Cards, Trailers, Contacts, iTunes, Camera, FaceTime, Podcasts...:eek:

To play devils advocate... what would you put together that doesn't create a swiss army knife of an app.

aurora21
Jun 27, 2012, 10:17 PM
I have been using spotify now for close to a year. Paying customer, btw. Couldn't be happier. Here's to hoping for a complete revamp of iTunes, I would love to go back. But I don't want to keep all those songs local... just sayin'

Patriot24
Jun 27, 2012, 10:17 PM
If Apple is going to get into the TV/content business, they'll need to add a whole new section of the store as well as management features so that you can discover, subscribe, purchase, and manage your virtual DVR from all devices, including the PC. It would make sense for iCloud to be the backbone of such a system.

Just thinking out loud...

Ajones330
Jun 27, 2012, 10:39 PM
I really wonder what the planned changes will be. iTunes definitely could use the make over...

rockosmodurnlif
Jun 27, 2012, 10:43 PM
"It's about damn time." — LeBron James

iDuel
Jun 27, 2012, 10:43 PM
I have to agree with the others regarding Spotify's subscription-based model. It's more cost effective for me to pay a flat fee to access X million songs than to buy each song off iTunes for $1.29 each.

My fingers are crossed for an Apple subscription based model with iTunes.

ethana
Jun 27, 2012, 10:44 PM
ABOUT TIME!!! Don't F it up Apple! This is your chance to make a killer product.

tkhan456
Jun 27, 2012, 10:46 PM
This sounds like a great idea. It's take something that is all in one place, simplified and well organized, then split it into 10 different things and make it more complicated. Sounds like a greeeeaaat idea. :rolleyes:

jasonefmonk
Jun 27, 2012, 10:48 PM
I mean, jeez, we're still forced to tag movies using "Artist" and "Album" fields. :rolleyes

You're example shows a TV Show. You can use the Video tab and label it by Show, Season Number, and Episode Number as you wish. The episode title can go under Name in the Info tab.

charlituna
Jun 27, 2012, 10:51 PM
While I believe that Apple might be working on revamping iTunes I do NOT believe that Bloomberg has any reliable info on it.

first off, Apple isn't about to diminish sales potential by letting folks share music across users. UNLESS it's a one time listen idea.

Seconds, splitting the app a la Podcasts on iOS is NOT the way Apple would likely go. More like splitting the store from the player and the player from the syncing. at least on Macs.

For the store they would do one of three possibles
1. split it into a new app a la the Mac App Store
2. Merge it into the app for the Mac App Store
3. go web with it (and perhaps the Mac App Store)

I think the first is the most likely at least at this point

For the player they would basically just go back to the original iTunes style. They might add some plug ins (or at least the ability for us to add them) to handle other file types. on the whole iCloud front I think that that might be an iTunes Match ish merged list where you can see your purchased but not on that computer movies, tv shows etc with a direct download button rather than having to go to the store, to the purchased area etc. They would hopefully also give you a merging of shared libraries or at least the ability to see them on the same list.
They might also merge DVD player into this Media Player app. And of course making playlists etc would remain in that app

On the syncing and importing front. I see them having your CDs, iPhones etc appear as a desktop icon. you click it and there you see your sync screens, your import etc. You can do what you need to do without even having iTunes or iPhoto open. At the same time this also means that you could share over to your Apple TV etc without having iTunes open. And if you make changes like rate something or make a playlist they sync back to the computer and load up the next time you open iTunes.

I think we could also see some changes in offerings in the store in terms of when tv shows etc are released, upgrading back seasons and older movies to 1080p (and hopefully adding some audio and subtitle tracks to tv and movies), getting the rest of the studios 'in the cloud' and better way late than never, getting LP and Extras to work under iOS.

Bloomberg's source also blew it by saying a generic later this year. by tradition all iTunes overhauls go with the iPod/iphone event in the fall. Expected to be mid to late Sept

blow45
Jun 27, 2012, 10:57 PM

amen.

a0me
Jun 27, 2012, 10:59 PM
Sure it does some stuff in the background to keep things up to date, (or sharing with other devices and apps).
That's what iTunes is to me. It's the app that syncs my content with my other devices and sends the video, music to my Apple TV.
I usually buy content from my iPhone or my Apple TV, and not from within my Mac's iTunes Store.
Obviously if you spend more time in front of your Mac than with your different devices your experience will vary, but it seems to me that with the personal computer slowly moving away from being the center (the "hub") of the digital life, content purchases are bound to happen more frequently on your other devices.

It seems to me that Apple should relaunch iSync as the app that would sync your iOS devices and take out of iTunes all that's not necessary.

Steve Jobs himself used to say (or quote) that good design is when you can’t take away anything else, and clearly this concept hasn't been applied to iTunes for a long, long time.

charlituna
Jun 27, 2012, 11:00 PM
How about iTunes Match for Movies and let me store all 2TB of my movies that I already ripped from Blu Ray & DVD in the Cloud?

IF they did it and it would be a hard call on that if, expect it to cost you another $100. The studios are tight as hell. no way would they let it be rolled into the current match or go for something as cheap as $25 a year.

coolfactor
Jun 27, 2012, 11:01 PM

iTunes predates the iPod, which was released on October 23rd, 2001 (my birthday!). So more than a decade of brand awareness. That said, change can sometimes be necessary. "Apple" is the key brand that Apple is pushing.

a0me
Jun 27, 2012, 11:15 PM

Having an "Apple" folder on an iPad makes as much sense as having a corner in your bookshelf reserved for Warner Bros movies, or a "Sony Music" CD shelf.

skellener
Jun 27, 2012, 11:29 PM
apple planning major overhaul of itunes long over due!!!!!!

L-U-R-C-H
Jun 27, 2012, 11:30 PM
That fine if you can remove them but to have to create a folder just to put all the useless icons that people don't use or want to use. iOS need to have a way of deleting obsolete apps. :mad:

No kidding! Who actually still uses Compass!? I mean yeah it was cool when they added the compass sensor to the 3GS a few years ago, but come on, we should be able to remove that and other apps from our phones! Same with Newsstand, Stocks, etc.

AJ1BostonMASS
Jun 27, 2012, 11:32 PM
Speaking of them all being separated into different apps, can they at least
Make a ping app?

MacNut
Jun 27, 2012, 11:44 PM
They need a stand alone bloat free simple music player called iTunes, then something new that can handle the apps and movies.

un10101
Jun 28, 2012, 12:02 AM
I will be glad to see a revamped iTunes. I don't feel that the iTunes experience is very "Apple" feeling. It needs to be more concise and integrated. It has improved over past updates, but with iOS6 coming out, this would be the perfect time to roll out the "perfect" iOS. Also, iTunes Match, while much much better in iOS6, could still be improved. I would love to be able to sync my iPod Classic and Shuffle (even though they are clearly not iOS devices) with my iTunes that is on the Cloud. Seeing that my MacBook Air is only the 64GB version, and I don't always want to be hooked to my external drive, I feel that being able to sync iTunes Match items on those devices would be a great benefit to myself and probably a lot of people.

Doombringer
Jun 28, 2012, 12:02 AM
I personally can't wait. The interface needs a refresh. Hopefully the cloud/matching services are improved, too.

un10101
Jun 28, 2012, 12:04 AM
No kidding! Who actually still uses Compass!? I mean yeah it was cool when they added the compass sensor to the 3GS a few years ago, but come on, we should be able to remove that and other apps from our phones! Same with Newsstand, Stocks, etc.

Ugh, I HATE newsstand. I have it on its very own, unused, wasted home screen so I don't have to see it and mistake it for iBooks.

cycomiko
Jun 28, 2012, 12:12 AM
Hopefully they dont just cock it up by makign it even more bloated, in combination with making it worthless to anyone outside of the USA, aka cloud garbage.

mentaluproar
Jun 28, 2012, 12:21 AM
I'm okay with the mac version of iTunes as is. The iPad music app, however, I would PAY to go back to the old one. This is awful.

Lvivske
Jun 28, 2012, 12:35 AM
I have one request - bring back large album art!

With the push towards high dpi and retina displays, they really better bring this back. I've been sticking to iTunes 9.2 because I refuse to ugglify my music library; and don't use iTunes for anything other than music.

CaryMacGuy
Jun 28, 2012, 12:58 AM
iMedia?

My first reaction would be iPlay but Google would be quick to sue.

MH01
Jun 28, 2012, 12:58 AM
About time it was put on a serious diet, once a trim fit piece of software has hit serious bloated proportions!!!!!

motulist
Jun 28, 2012, 01:24 AM

Absolutely! 100%!!! If I want to listen to a podcast, why on earth should I use a program that is packed full of buttons and menus that have NOTHING to do with podcasts? It makes doing every function much worse. iTunes is an okay jack of all trades, but a master of none.

There is NO good reason for wholly separate activities to all be crammed into a single piece of software. If I want to listen to an MP3, why on earth should I have to hunt through menus and/or icons that perform functions for renting movies and syncing phone apps? It makes no sense and it makes the software worse at every single job it's in charge of.

The apps for entirely separate uses should be allowed to flourish in its own separate application. But at the same time the separate apps will naturally be functionally interoperable so that they work with each other seamlessly on the few occasions when it's required.

For example, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are all separate apps because they're all mainly separate activities. This allows the apps to excel at the job they're designed to accomplish. Yet when you need the apps work with each other they do it super easily. This is exactly what makes sense for the entirely unrelated jobs that are currently all crammed into itunes.

MythicFrost
Jun 28, 2012, 01:28 AM
Fantastic! This will be great!

ScottishDuck
Jun 28, 2012, 01:28 AM
Great. Another step towards the media monopolies dystopian vision of us paying out the ass for content we have no ownership over.

kirky29
Jun 28, 2012, 01:31 AM
This is well due, each time I look at the iTunes icon.....I can feel an update coming.

Since switching to Spotify I haven't used iTunes as a player since...I still buy some songs and albums from there though & play them through Spotify.
Don't know why really, iTunes is much better...you can loop a single song, have EQs, sound-check, sort by Genre etc

But I love the social side of Spotify.

paulgarb
Jun 28, 2012, 01:32 AM
Spotify and iTunes I mean.
Despite the absolute certainty of many posters at both ends of the spectrum my use of surely isn't untypical. Spotify is, for the most part, a research tool - try a track, discover a new artist, sample an album, etc. iTunes is where I go to buy the stuff that makes it through the filter. Unlike many I really do want to own my music - I mean I can see streaming has a place and for some it is all they will ever need but, for me, there is still a direct link between me & the artist if I actually buy their product.
On the main topic iTunes really does need a root & branch update - I can't say I care whether it is split up or kept together the main thing has to be ease of use and it is failing across all platforms in that respect.
iCloud seems to have a lot of detractors but I like the idea. iTunes Match is a complete wonder. Both need some serious attention in terms of presentation and access but I am pretty confident that is in the works.

petsounds
Jun 28, 2012, 01:39 AM
Apple's iCloud efforts will improve organization of users' own content while also the company is also considering splitting out some functions of iTunes as it did yesterday on iOS with its new Podcasts app.

iTunes is the MTV of software. In the beginning, it was about the music. They put a store in. Then came the tv shows, the movies, the books, the apps. Suddenly, music was the last thing on Apple's mind, except to put in new ways to drive you to their store. Now it seems they're on the Spotify tip, a service which only seems to make major labels money, not indie artists.

I for one hope that they put the store into a separate iStore app, and just make iTunes...about the music again. And bring some innovation to music playback. We still have no good way to tag songs, unless we appropriate other metadata fields. We still don't have lossless music, or the ability to buy vinyl copies of records with digital downloads.

Indie bands have no way to communicate with music purchasers. Apple should be taking the Bandcamp.com model and running with it. Empower indie artists and give customers more options. Help create relationships between musicians and fans. But no, they are stuck in an outdated mindset.

----------

But I love the social side of Spotify.

Well, we all know how Ping turned out!

Unfortunately, Apple doesn't 'get' social. Or if they do, they fought against it, because they didn't really provide social in Ping. They just used it as an attempt to drive people to their store. They never really cared about people interacting with each other; they just saw users as consumers. But I guess they finally realized people didn't want to use such a lifeless service, and instead of improving it, they just plan to shut it down. Which makes me think that they just don't get it.

iOzzie
Jun 28, 2012, 01:40 AM
Release this along-side a new iPod Classic, thanks!

Manderby
Jun 28, 2012, 01:54 AM
Will the new version be able to JUST play music?

Serious question.

Skika
Jun 28, 2012, 02:09 AM
Release this along-side a new iPod Classic, thanks!

Whats that?? :confused:

Colpeas
Jun 28, 2012, 02:31 AM
Great, my PowerMac G5 doesn't support iCloud anyway... If that means that the next version of itunes won't be available for PPCs I'll be very pissed.
Yes, I do have a MacBook Air, but the G5 still remains a computer where I store all my stuff and I ain't gonna change it.

Regardless, while we are at it, what about adding a possibility to sort music by label and to add a second artist, so I could get rid of all that "feat. someone" BS. The song would be then sorted under both original and featured artist. Nothing more I can think of right now...

accountedge
Jun 28, 2012, 03:31 AM

That's what happened to me too, I've moved to subscription and Spotify, so much better. Apple is going to have to answer to that, sooner or later. I think that a redesign using the old model is just a waste of time.

jovada
Jun 28, 2012, 03:34 AM
I don't want everything in the cloud and I don't want to stream music. I'm old-fashioned and I want everything offline on my own machine. Yes I'm from Belgium and yes an internet connection is way to expensive to transfer this amount of data.

iBug2
Jun 28, 2012, 03:59 AM
Will the new version be able to JUST play music?

Serious question.

I'd have to say "no frikking way". :) It'll have to play every content sold in store. Please not a separate Videos app. We already have Quicktime which can play iTunes DRM content. If they want to have a separate app for video content, they should update Quicktime Player to interact with the iTunes library instead of introducing a 3rd app. And so far nothing indicates that the QT player in ML has features like that.

SBlue1
Jun 28, 2012, 04:13 AM
Good news, curious what they are gonna do.

Fresh Tendrils
Jun 28, 2012, 04:54 AM
Absolutely! 100%!!! If I want to listen to a podcast, why on earth should I use a program that is packed full of buttons and menus that have NOTHING to do with podcasts? It makes doing every function much worse. iTunes is an okay jack of all trades, but a master of none.

There is NO good reason for wholly separate activities to all be crammed into a single piece of software. If I want to listen to an MP3, why on earth should I have to hunt through menus and/or icons that perform functions for renting movies and syncing phone apps? It makes no sense and it makes the software worse at every single job it's in charge of.

The apps for entirely separate uses should be allowed to flourish in its own separate application. But at the same time the separate apps will naturally be functionally interoperable so that they work with each other seamlessly on the few occasions when it's required.

For example, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are all separate apps because they're all mainly separate activities. This allows the apps to excel at the job they're designed to accomplish. Yet when you need the apps work with each other they do it super easily. This is exactly what makes sense for the entirely unrelated jobs that are currently all crammed into itunes.

I admit that I used to roll my eyes when people talked about iTunes being bloated, but over the past year I've changed my mind. Jamming all types of media into the one app just isn't very user friendly. It's fine if you don't have a lot of content in iTunes, but if you have a lot it's just a pain trying to access it.

For instance, I have about 10 different desktop spaces set up, including one for iTunes and another for document creation and reading. I have a lot of PDFs in iTunes for syncing to my iOS devices. If I'm in word and I want to open one of these PDFs I have to navigate to my music desktop, and navigate through a music app to find it, and then navigate back, and do this each time I want another to open another one of the PDFs [yeah, I know use spotlight, but that will only work if you know the name of the file]. It's silly and clumsy. They need to split the books section into a separate app.

They should also make a separate podcast app. I like to listen to music while I'm cooking, working out etc. But if I want to quickly check a cooking or fitness podcast, I can either 1) watch it in iTunes [which will stop the music playing], and then I have navigate back into music and find what I was listening to, and then find the spot in the track that I was listening to it or 2) click on the podcast and choose show in finder and then open it in quicktime. Again it's just unnecessary steps arising from a clumsy implementation, and its what happens when you jam everything into the one app.

I think your iWork example is spot on. If you combined all 3 into 1 it would be a mess. They are good apps because each focus on what it needs to focus on, and plays nicely with each other. iTunes should be the same. Unfortunately, I fear that rather than splitting iTunes up into 3 or 4 apps, they'll probably just jam more features into it instead.

roadbloc
Jun 28, 2012, 05:12 AM
Good. iTunes as it currently stands is ****ing awful.

zedsdead
Jun 28, 2012, 06:10 AM
That hideous yellow bar at the top of iTunes better be gone. It looks like an old gameboy dot matrix screen.

I also would love some color back in the sidebar, but seeing how Aperture just went grayscale (which makes even less sense than iTunes or Finder), I doubt that is happening.

I am in favor of the split apps. iTunes is too bloated. Let the apps control their files like they do in iOS. Bookstore app, Video app, Music app, etc...

Let iTunes just sync and be the store.

paulcdb
Jun 28, 2012, 06:16 AM
*yawns* must be recycle rumours day!

This has been said for months and while i'm sure an overhaul is in the works... is there any point repeating rumours from last year... again?

mrtune
Jun 28, 2012, 06:40 AM
Another vote here for not splitting up more apps.

I already hate the address book, calendar and mail are 3 separate apps taking up 3 spots on the dock. Apple should look no further than outlook and combine those into 1 app. There's no good reason those apps should be all standalone.

rorschach
Jun 28, 2012, 06:43 AM
You're example shows a TV Show. You can use the Video tab and label it by Show, Season Number, and Episode Number as you wish. The episode title can go under Name in the Info tab.

Yeah I know, but an actual, full-length movie uses the same fields.

marcusj0015
Jun 28, 2012, 06:47 AM
Having an "Apple" folder on an iPad makes as much sense as having a corner in your bookshelf reserved for Warner Bros movies, or a "Sony Music" CD shelf.

Nope, I have an Apple folder for all the default **** I hardly use too.

----------

Speaking of them all being separated into different apps, can they at least
Make a ping app?

Ping's dead lol, We found the only Ping user! nice to meet you!

----------

Ugh, I HATE newsstand. I have it on its very own, unused, wasted home screen so I don't have to see it and mistake it for iBooks.

Exactly, I do too lol.

Thunderhawks
Jun 28, 2012, 07:03 AM
Nope, I have an Apple folder for all the default **** I hardly use too.

----------

Ping's dead lol, We found the only Ping user! nice to meet you!

----------

Exactly, I do too lol.

We need to organize a million user march to Cupertino to take ping off!

shadowlawless
Jun 28, 2012, 07:08 AM
I'd be happy if itunes stopped insisting it want to delete all files on my iphone.

conversation with itune

me: "add audio book"
itunes :"adding audio book will delete all music and videos from iphone whould you like to continue"

me : "no"

Me sync music : "sycing music will delete all music videos and apps would you like to conitune"

me: -_- "No"

Me " authorise my computer now i must be able to sync"

itunes : "syncing iphone with computer, all apps and media have now been deleted"

Me : "FFFFFFFFFF UUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

xSPRINTERx
Jun 28, 2012, 07:11 AM
Spotify does have the "offline" mode option. You can store up to 3,333 songs and listen to them without an internet connection.

So it is possible to use Spotify on your smartphone and not use even 1MB of data.

as for Usage charge, Comcast has a 300GB monthly limit. Even if you stream spotify 24 hours a day for 31 days, it would only be a fraction of that 300GB limit.

This is how we use spotify in the sprinter household. 2 iPads, 2 iPhones and a mac. It's ace for the price of 1.5 albums a month..

Even stream it round the house with the help of airfoil and the speaker app..

marcusj0015
Jun 28, 2012, 07:12 AM
i'd be happy if itunes stopped insisting it want to delete all files on my iphone.

Conversation with itune

me: "add audio book"
itunes :"adding audio book will delete all music and videos from iphone whould you like to continue"

me : "no"

me sync music : "sycing music will delete all music videos and apps would you like to conitune"

me: -_- "no"

me " authorise my computer now i must be able to sync"

itunes : "syncing iphone with computer, all apps and media have now been deleted"

me : "ffffffffff uuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

i know right?!

Rogifan
Jun 28, 2012, 07:20 AM

Yep i can't remember the last time I used iTunes. I use Spotify and Pandora every day.

njgeek
Jun 28, 2012, 07:33 AM
Please, for the love of God, just fix playlist syncing. It is the biggest source of pain in my iTunes experience.

SpyderBite
Jun 28, 2012, 07:33 AM
I'm content with the way things work now with one exception. I'd like my iTunes Match music to stream instead of download to my devices the first time I want to listen to it.

I'd prefer to have my own personal streaming music service for $25/year. I used Rhapsody for a couple of years and enjoyed the access to unlimited music. But, I'd rather be limited to my own purchased music for $100 less per year.

Reddkryten
Jun 28, 2012, 07:36 AM
I was using itunes last night to listen to a song and as usual my Mac locked up, turns out iTunes was using about 2GB or ram...yeah bloated doesn't even begin to cover that.

However I am a little bit worried about this update, will iTunes remain as powerful as it currently is, or will it be stripped down, features like lyrics tagging and the ability to add hq artwork removed?

I'm slightly obsessive with my music, I have everything tagged as i like and (almost) every song has lyrics (in some cases the lyrics had to be manually altered for live recordings etc), sorted into the correct genre etc.

So a snappier version of iTunes, capable of doing everything the current version can do, excellent. A dumbed down version...no thanks.

iBug2
Jun 28, 2012, 07:39 AM
My personal wishlist:

•Stop locking away the user input when iTunes is adding files or changing ID3 tags.

•Give brightness/contrast sliders for video content. The only way to actually change the settings on video is to play them at QT 7 player (shame that the ML QTX player still doesn't have this)

•Stop slowing down the entire UI when the app is checking things in iCloud for iTunes match. Do this in background as a separate task.

•More supported formats please. I'm sick of converting each FLAC to ALAC. (Though I don't see this happening like ever)

•Better batch tag handling (Again I don't see this happening but I desperately need stuff like "Capitalize" to work on a batch of files.)

•Better album art and track name find (Look for them on places other than the store)

•Use Core animation like in Safari ML for the library (It's been much faster since iTunes 10.2 due to Core Image, but adding core animation would make it even smoother)

•Better navigation and tabbed browsing. Add tabs for different albums I'm checking so I can go from one album to the next one with ease. As it stands today, switching between albums is basically impossible without typing the name on search bar over and over again or creating a temporary playlist, which is lame.

mdriftmeyer
Jun 28, 2012, 07:44 AM

Not unless they port the Yellow Box modern equivalent to Windows [and all necessary mach-o, pbs, etc.] or they expand the team and fork the project to maintain two separate branches for Windows and OS X.

brentonbrenton
Jun 28, 2012, 07:46 AM
If Apple would like to have more music discovery and help tie things together some more while possibly giving Ping some meaning - why not integrate a concerts ticket purchase type function. Your favorite artist could list upcoming concerts, buy tickets which then show in your iOS 6 passbook app. This would pump blood through Ping again, 'tickets on sale from iTunes'.

Doing this could take on tickettek/ticketmaster who at least in Australia, most people hate because they have ridiculous extra charges. Apple give them competition, they could easily win Australia. And concert tickets would bring in good money for them, how many arena concerts are less than $50-100 a ticket these days!

They could also offer to purchase music concerts instead of having to buy on dvd-I've wondered for years why they don't offer this, it naturally lends itself to it.

iBug2
Jun 28, 2012, 07:47 AM
If Apple would like to have more music discovery and help tie things together some more while possibly giving Ping some meaning - why not integrate a concerts ticket purchase type function. Your favorite artist could list upcoming concerts, buy tickets which then show in your iOS 6 passbook app.

Doing this could take on tickettek/ticketmaster who at least in Australia, most people hate because they have ridiculous extra charges. Apple give them competition, they could easily win Australia. And concert tickets would bring in good money for them, how many arena concerts are less than $50-100 a ticket these days!

They could also offer to purchase music concerts-I've wondered for years why they don't offer this, it naturally lends itself to it.

I love this, would be great if they could get this to work.

bboyredcel
Jun 28, 2012, 08:06 AM
said this yesterday. +1 for separate apps. Like someone said before "i have PDF's in iTunes"... how stupid does that sound? But its true. We need "Music" ,"iBooks" & "Video" apps so effing bad.
jesus, when will they separate music and movies? iTunes has become a jack of all trades, master of none. Its time to split iTunes down the middle and create a Video/Movie/TV Show management app and leave iTunes to do the Music (they can even rename iTunes, "Music" like on iOS). iTunes sucks at video management in all forms. I'd also like to see them take "apps" out of iTunes and put them into the AppStore app that they already have on OSX.

iTunes should:
Manage Music and all other Audio

Movies should:
Manage Movies, TV Shows, and all other video

iPhoto does:
manage photos, fill your hdd with 356 copies of each photo.

"Sync" should be integrated into the OS, maybe have it show up in Notification Center when someone connects a device... For more detailed management there can be a separate app or preference panel "Sync Preferences" where you can manage stuff like pages of apps in iOS and what does/doesnt sync (exact functionality iTunes sync page provides now... but simpler).

iTunes makes me furious and embarrassed because its shittiness is what PC users judge us based on due to the app existing in all of its asstastic glory on both OS's. Its an embarrassment. /rant

donlphi
Jun 28, 2012, 08:13 AM

I would not only say LONG overdue, but I might say TOO LATE. There is no way Apple is going to compete with a free service (or much lower cost service).

I am (was) a long time iTunes user, spending easily $50-$100 a month buying music. and I was recently introduced to Spotify. I actually feel a little resentment towards Apple's business model. I will never buy another song through iTunes. I would be a fool to do so.

I could do it for free, but I pay $120 a year for premium (which is less than what I was paying for Sirius) and listen to nearly everything from every genre and any era. I have playlists of:

New "Pop" music
Old Pop music (60s, 70s, 80s, 90s)
Classical music (w/ great orchestral recordings, not some scrubby community orchestral recordings which I often times find on iTunes)
Jazz (incredible selection - including some really hard to find selections)
Some stranger "Older" stuff (Les Baxter, Swingle Singers, and more)

On top of that, Spotify offers SEVERAL 'spotify apps' that help you discover like no other music services.

Why would I pay $.99 a track to hear something one or two times?

Apple needs to either BUY Spotify or offer a second business model for distributing their music.

I don't think I'm a 'know it all' or anything, but I work as a high school music teacher. I interact with students and talk about music a lot. Every kids seems to have a spotify account. Kids push the music industry. Spotify is not a fad, it is the real deal and if you haven't used it before, try it and you will see why Apple's music service is in trouble.

brennt
Jun 28, 2012, 08:15 AM

It is great until all of your contacts get wiped out when trying to set up a new device to use iCloud. Apple does not provide an automated way to backup and restore iCloud contacts. The only option available is to manually export the contacts from iCal. Which I guess is fine if you can remember to do that frequently or your good at writing scripts to do it automatically.

sflagel
Jun 28, 2012, 08:16 AM

I hope they get rid of the iTunes Store on iOS devices completely and make purchases available through the Music, Videos, Bookstore, and Podcast Apps. This would allow them to add subscription packages and other things into the App and get rid of the distinction between he shop and your own music.

bommai
Jun 28, 2012, 08:43 AM
All I really need from iTunes is Flac support. They never throw me a bone.. Everything else is fun but I'm not a silly nilly so I don't pay those prices for that type of format. :) Put some actual CD's up for sale like Amazon, mail them to me and I'm a customer, or just offer the equivalent to CD quality for download. Ain't no lossy content in my house! :apple:

If you want lossless, why dont you use Apple Lossless. Works great. All my CDs have been ripped using Apple Lossless using error correction, etc. Also, Apple Lossless is now royalty free. There are also free FLAC to Apple Lossless converters.

i\/i
Jun 28, 2012, 08:44 AM
One feature that is long overdue is the ability to share libraries between different users on the same machine without having to resort to the kludge of sharing a common media folder for each user account.

Itunes is bloated and needs to be revamped from the ground up. I have no issue with Itunes as a single app managing your media, but the server/sharing functionality should be broken off into a separate service that is always running.

Also they need to update to the latest ID3 tagging and include the ability to tag songs with multiple artists, genre's... its annoying that collaborations become a new artist rather than appearing under both artists.

Wolfpup
Jun 28, 2012, 08:46 AM
Ugh...after seeing how bad the 'podcasts' program is, I dread what they may do to iTunes.

I'd like any bugs nailed down, and performance could be better, but otherwise I LOVE iTunes and I have since launch.

I don't care about "sharing music". And I want to sync with *MY* PC, not Apple's server on Mars.

It's like they have all these strengths versus Android and Windows Phone so they're getting rid of them :mad:

Ugh, I guess I'll hope for the best, but I went from excited to buy an iPhone tomorrow, to I'm not buying one until I've seen iOS 6 and this new iTunes, so to see if they even still do what I need them to do. :(:mad:

pubwvj
Jun 28, 2012, 09:14 AM
This is not good. Apple is making iTunes more and more dependent on having access to iCloud. More than half the people, even in America, don't have the necessary high speed access to make using iCloud feasible. Then there is the problem that iCloud is not reliable, not secure and the laws have not been updated to keep the police out of your data. iCloud is a bad idea. Making anything dependent on iCloud is an even worse idea.

AustinIllini
Jun 28, 2012, 09:16 AM
I would not only say LONG overdue, but I might say TOO LATE. There is no way Apple is going to compete with a free service (or much lower cost service).

I am (was) a long time iTunes user, spending easily $50-$100 a month buying music. and I was recently introduced to Spotify. I actually feel a little resentment towards Apple's business model. I will never buy another song through iTunes. I would be a fool to do so.

I could do it for free, but I pay $120 a year for premium (which is less than what I was paying for Sirius) and listen to nearly everything from every genre and any era. I have playlists of:

New "Pop" music
Old Pop music (60s, 70s, 80s, 90s)
Classical music (w/ great orchestral recordings, not some scrubby community orchestral recordings which I often times find on iTunes)
Jazz (incredible selection - including some really hard to find selections)
Some stranger "Older" stuff (Les Baxter, Swingle Singers, and more)

On top of that, Spotify offers SEVERAL 'spotify apps' that help you discover like no other music services.

Why would I pay $.99 a track to hear something one or two times?

Apple needs to either BUY Spotify or offer a second business model for distributing their music.

I don't think I'm a 'know it all' or anything, but I work as a high school music teacher. I interact with students and talk about music a lot. Every kids seems to have a spotify account. Kids push the music industry. Spotify is not a fad, it is the real deal and if you haven't used it before, try it and you will see why Apple's music service is in trouble.

Since I started using spotify, I would say my music purchases have dropped a good 60%. The truth is, Spotify's library is still quite limited. Also, many artists (Black Keys are the first that come to my mind) only put their earliest albums on Spotify. We will see in the future where this goes. For now I only buy music from artists I support on iTunes.

Navdakilla
Jun 28, 2012, 09:18 AM
Sounds good to me

Tanguyvd
Jun 28, 2012, 09:24 AM

that doesn't make sence,
i understand iCloud to be more like a device or service, like iMac, iPhone, iPad, rather than the an application.

however, using iCloud for all repository (songs, movies, shows, docs, etc) could make sense...

adamryan1983
Jun 28, 2012, 09:28 AM
As much as I love iTunes as an app, it needs some tidying up. Too much going on in one app. Just don't make it all big and iOS-ish. Leave it somewhat pro user looking.

JHankwitz

Are people really so vain that they are willing to quadruple their bandwidth use just to make their ugly faces clearer?

German
Multi-user support!!!

[ACID (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACID)]

Thunderhawks
Jun 28, 2012, 09:29 AM
Since I started using spotify, I would say my music purchases have dropped a good 60%. The truth is, Spotify's library is still quite limited. Also, many artists (Black Keys are the first that come to my mind) only put their earliest albums on Spotify. We will see in the future where this goes. For now I only buy music from artists I support on iTunes.

Spotify is the greatest FREE solution for old geezers like me. It has all the songs I grew up with and a way more international catalog than itunes ever had.

Used to own albums (LPs, remember those) which are now collecting dust.
Converted whatever was possible to CDs which are now collecting dust.

The way we consume audio and video these days makes it unnecessary to own it. It is just so easy to type in what you want to hear and seconds later it starts.

Don't even have to remember which track was on which CD, let alone look around where I put it.

I understand that it's personal preference to own music, but as I am getting older I want as little "stuff" to keep track off or take up physical space.

Do people really still rummage through their CD's to find tracks?

About the only thing I miss is being able to sometimes read the song lyrics.

Would be great if lyrics would be streaming on my screen while the music is playing.

Of course as an option that can be switched on or off.

AidenShaw
Jun 28, 2012, 09:32 AM
Not unless they port the Yellow Box modern equivalent to Windows [and all necessary mach-o, pbs, etc.] or they expand the team and fork the project to maintain two separate branches for Windows and OS X.

You mean make Itunes on Windows look and feel like a Windows app? Blasphemy!

Actually, that might be how Apple will make the Metro version of Itunes.

thenaes
Jun 28, 2012, 09:33 AM
I really hope they introduce a streaming service just like Spotify along with this. I really like the idea of Spotify but in its current incarnation it is really buggy. I suppose that is what you get with something that has really grown/blowing up.

I personally like the way that Rdio does it better but there are certainly some downfalls with that service as well. (Sound quality, no gapless...etc).

Wolfpup
Jun 28, 2012, 09:49 AM

I hope there is a Metro version of iTunes...really do!

I'm not necessarily opposed to changing the look (although I like it), but my only real complaint is just that it's kind of sluggish and a little flaky, and I'm not crazy about how iTunes keeps spewing more and more and more background processes.

Honestly, I've never had issues with them, and today's PCs have gobs of RAM, but like I just looked, and Apple appears to have EIGHT processes running on my system right now not counting iTunes itself :lol: (and I might be missing some). My iPod and iTunes are a big part of my life, and actually Tivo Desktop uses Bonjour too, but still...

diamond.g
Jun 28, 2012, 09:53 AM
It is great until all of your contacts get wiped out when trying to set up a new device to use iCloud. Apple does not provide an automated way to backup and restore iCloud contacts. The only option available is to manually export the contacts from iCal. Which I guess is fine if you can remember to do that frequently or your good at writing scripts to do it automatically.

I thought we were able to undelete (or restore) contacts deleted from iCloud. I swore that was a major point of contention, when Apple dropped iSync.

artificemm
Jun 28, 2012, 09:59 AM
From several years I've been wishing that the app just becomes splitted, it's too bloated, I freaking hate the store being built-in, plus using it to sync (wtf? really), music, videos, geez it does everything, and on iOS all these functions are separate apps... can't be done the same for the Mac?

Just my ¢2

conradzoo
Jun 28, 2012, 10:01 AM
I'm content with the way things work now with one exception. I'd like my iTunes Match music to stream instead of download to my devices the first time I want to listen to it.

I'd prefer to have my own personal streaming music service for $25/year. I used Rhapsody for a couple of years and enjoyed the access to unlimited music. But, I'd rather be limited to my own purchased music for $100 less per year.

Dunno about you, but I can stream my iTunes Match music from the cloud without downloading (on my mac).

Wolfpup
Jun 28, 2012, 10:11 AM
From several years I've been wishing that the app just becomes splitted, it's too bloated, I freaking hate the store being built-in, plus using it to sync (wtf? really), music, videos, geez it does everything, and on iOS all these functions are separate apps... can't be done the same for the Mac?

Just my ¢2

I think the exact opposite. I think it would be an absolute pain having to launch separate programs to do all those obviously related functions. I don't see the advantage at all save for it being more difficult for me, and I dislike that they're separate programs (or at least front ends) on iOS in some cases. And why wouldn't syncing be built in?

bedifferent
Jun 28, 2012, 10:16 AM
If iTunes were to be split into various app's, how would syncing devices work? As it stands, iTunes is acting as a conduit, a media hub, for devices. If it were to be broken down into separate music, video, applications (an iPhoto revamp would be nice), etc how would syncing all the media work? A revamped "iSync"?

TheRainKing
Jun 28, 2012, 10:23 AM

Just my ¢2

That would suck.

Who wants to use different apps for music and videos. Ewwww.

Also, the iTunes store being built in is convenient because when you buy a song it goes straight into your library, without you having to add it yourself. If you just want a music or video player I'm sure there are loads on the internet.

Daalseth
Jun 28, 2012, 10:40 AM
However I'm going to disagree with a number of posters here.

I WANT them to chop iTunes into several Apps. It's become bloatware that takes too long to start and consumes too many resources. I want one app for music (iTunes) and separate apps for movies and video, and another one for games etc that synch with my iPad and iPod Touch, and how about a separate one for streaming sources like internet radio. Seems silly to me to load several massive libraries when I just want to do one thing.

It's time to do a Lizzie Bordon on iTunes

mdriftmeyer
Jun 28, 2012, 10:43 AM

With WebKit 2 Codebase I expected Apple to separate the two lines mainly by their interfaces and only the necessary OS specific API calls while leveraging WebKit 2 and thus extend more on OS X than they already do while maintaining accessibility for all iOS based hardware for Windows users.

chrisbru
Jun 28, 2012, 11:06 AM
I think splitting it into several apps would be great.

If iTunes can already sync your photos to your iDevice, there's no reason a standalone sync application wouldn't be able to sync your photos from iPhoto, your apps from the app store (now combined with the Mac app store), your music from iTunes, your videos from whatever that would be called, Podcasts from, well, Podcasts app, etc. This keeps everything pared down and focused on the media you want to consume.

Do people really switch seemlessly from music, to videos, to movies, to audiobooks regularly in iTunes? If I want to listen to music, I don't need to see my movies/videos. I just want music. Same with podcasts. It's not like quitting iTunes and launching Podcasts is a hassle - it will also likely put less of a strain on your system.

I would like to see the "i" prefix drop from a lot of these things, too, like it is on iDevices (how backwards is it that iDevices, running iOS, are no longer calling everying "i"whatever, but OSX is?) We just need Music, Podcasts, Videos, Photos, and Apps.

Sackvillenb
Jun 28, 2012, 11:08 AM
Well, I know it's been said before, but iTunes really does need an overhaul. iCloud and sharing, sure, but many primary sections of iTunes are TERRIBLE. I don't have any problem with the media playback and organization features, and the store is ok, but the sections for syncing things to iOS devices is ridiculous! It's soooo poorly layed out... Especially since Apple is so focused on simplicity and intuitiveness, etc., and while they usually pull this off, iTunes has been a huge FAIL in this regard...

powers74
Jun 28, 2012, 11:14 AM
Apple's iCloud efforts will improve organization of users' own content while also the company is also considering splitting out some functions of iTunes as it did yesterday on iOS with its new Podcasts app.

Well that's a good sign.

Wolfpup
Jun 28, 2012, 11:34 AM
It's become bloatware that takes too long to start and consumes too many resources.

It really doesn't take that much RAM, and splitting programs up-or at least making a bunch of front ends-won't necessarily improve that situation at all.

I want one app for music (iTunes) and separate apps for movies and video, and another one for games etc that synch with my iPad and iPod Touch, and how about a separate one for streaming sources like internet radio.

So now I've got to load a bunch of separate programs to replace what I used to be able to do with one program? How is that good for *ME* as a user?

If iTunes can already sync your photos to your iDevice, there's no reason a standalone sync application wouldn't be able to sync your photos from iPhoto, your apps from the app store (now combined with the Mac app store), your music from iTunes, your videos from whatever that would be called, Podcasts from, well, Podcasts app, etc. This keeps everything pared down and focused on the media you want to consume.

Yikes-then they've got to either duplicate a ton of code, actually making the whole mess MORE bloated, or you're just dealing with separate front ends. Either way makes it more difficult for the end user to deal with, and for no apparent benefit.

Do people really switch seemlessly from music, to videos, to movies, to audiobooks regularly in iTunes?

Yes. Of course.

Taking this one level up, this is like asking "do people really watch movies and edit documents and browse the web on one PC? I want separate PCs for each task!"

If I want to listen to music, I don't need to see my movies/videos.

So? You don't have to see them. At worst you've got a single small icon on your screen telling you they're there. And you can hide that if you really hate it.

It's not like quitting iTunes and launching Podcasts is a hassle

Of COURSE that's a hassle. I have to replace a single program with a slew of them that I have to switch between? That's a big hassle.

it will also likely put less of a strain on your system.

How? It still has to have all this stuff on there, only now it's either all duplicated, so takes up even more resources then before, or it's all just different front ends. Either way the end result is more work for the end user.

We just need Music, Podcasts, Videos, Photos, and Apps.

And why should those be separate programs? You're really that opposed to looking at a small icon in a list reminding you that iTunes can also do other functions you're not currently using?

weaponEX
Jun 28, 2012, 11:40 AM
I'm half way through reading the Walter Issacson's Steve Jobs Biography. With this fresh perspective in mind, I can honestly say that iTunes doesn't feel fundamentally Apple-ish any more.
In particular, it doesn't provide features that customers don't even know they want. If it ever did, it no longer feels like an artifact of pathological perfectionism. So what's missing?

I'm sure the Apple designers will provide some innovation with The Cloud and sharing, but what about the one feature that matters most: the human experience of listening to music. How does iTunes propose to enhance that?

One feature of iTunes which I've enjoyed from the start is the simple Play Count column. I was surprised one day to discover that I'd listened to a particular Pendulum track over 100 times while others only a couple. I wouldn't've realized that unless iTunes had been keeping count. This has profoundly affected the way I relate to my music. Features evidently doesn't have to be complicated to enhance the experience.

I've never used Spotify, but I can vouch that StumbleUpon has changed the way I experience the internet. Any move further in that direction is a step forward in my opinion.
The whole design philosophy of providing features that we customers don't even know we want necessarily precludes me from even imagining what any given visionary should be implementing - but I hope they will remember that Apple is more than an expensive consumer lifestyle commodity, it's The Most Valuable Company In The World.

Mike Valmike
Jun 28, 2012, 11:45 AM

If only, my friend. If only.

tkermit
Jun 28, 2012, 11:55 AM
I have to replace a single program with a slew of them that I have to switch between? That's a big hassle.

Why even stop at Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, iTunes U content, Books, Apps, Ringtones, Radio content and a store all in one application? Let iTunes manage pictures as well. And put a full-fledged internet browser in there. And eMail functionality while we're at it. Plus, the address book and calendar should probably be added as well.

Wolfpup
Jun 28, 2012, 11:57 AM
Why even stop at Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, iTunes U content, Books, Apps, Ringtones, Radio content and a store all in one application? Let iTunes manage pictures as well. And put a full-fledged internet browser in there. And eMail functionality while we're at it. Plus, the address book and calendar should probably be added as well.

It already handles syncing for those things, and some of that may make sense. At any rate, having "media" together certainly makes sense, as does having the store there...which is mainly what it does.

SeattleMoose
Jun 28, 2012, 11:59 AM
The name iTunes was perfect when iTunes was JUST music.

But with the store, videos, photos, files for iDevices all bottle-necked thru "iTunes"...Apple needs a another name for all of the stuff currently crammed under the iTunes name. Leave iTunes for the music part, but come up with different names for the various pieces and a name for the aggregate functionality.

For a company that prides itself on straight forward Zen-like simplicity....the mess that is today iTunes is just embarrassing.

Luckily Apple was not in charge of this country as it grew, because Delaware was the first state in the union and as new states were added, Apple would just keep calling the whole thing....Delaware. ;)

dknightd
Jun 28, 2012, 12:05 PM
So now I've got to load a bunch of separate programs to replace what I used to be able to do with one program? How is that good for *ME* as a user?

You would not have to start up programs you did not use.
Each program could have access to one (or more) cpu cores.
You could actually do more than one thing at a time.
They could split itunes up, or, make it multithread capable,
that would be a benefit to some people

Roofy.
Jun 28, 2012, 12:07 PM
Thank god!

I have said this from nearly the beginning since I converted to a Mac user, iTunes is one of the worst applications to ever be on a computer, not just macs. The only thing it does right is play music, but every other thing about it is completely bloated. You need to be a brain surgeon to figure out how to sync your iphone with it. I dont know how many times it has erased my apps, or told me I have applied changes when I havent.

A new simpler, less bloated, icloud based itunes can not come sooner enough.

Wolfpup
Jun 28, 2012, 12:08 PM
You would not have to start up programs you did not use.

Yes, but they'd all have to be connected at the back end to one extent or another-and for that matter, even if they're part of the same program, that doesn't mean you need to load all of them, if that's your concern.

Besides which, iTunes uses < 100MB as it is, which is hardly a ton.

Each program could have access to one (or more) cpu cores.

They can now.

You could actually do more than one thing at a time.

You can now.

They could split itunes up, or, make it multithread capable

Splitting it up is what we're talking about, and presumably it already is multithreaded...regardless that's not related to splitting it up.

but every other thing about it is completely bloated.

How so?

You need to be a brain surgeon to figure out how to sync your iphone with it.

Umm...you plug it in.

I dont know how many times it has erased my apps, or told me I have applied changes when I havent.

I've never had it erase anything, and if it did, how would splitting the program up be related to fixing that? Wouldn't their coding time be better spent FIXING that then randomly splitting up a program?

A new simpler, less bloated

How could it be simpler? How is it bloated?

icloud based itunes can not come sooner enough.

You don't have to use a PC at all right NOW for iOS if you don't want to, so why demand that no one get to? I have zero interest syncing with someone else's computer. That's one of the huge ADVANTAGES iOS has over Windows Phone and Android, and you're saying Apple should dump it?

edwurtle
Jun 28, 2012, 12:11 PM
Seems to be a large debate over splitting into multiple apps or keeping it all together. Here's my compromise:

iTunes: explore/play/buy/share/(download from iCloud) music, videos, apps

iPhoto: explore/edit/view/share photos

iSync: new app dedicated to moving music, videos, apps, photos between devices, macs, pcs, and iCloud. Makes it simple to drag/drop or change sync settings between devices and iCloud. Also performs backups/software updates of devices.

Basically chops out the device management out of iTunes into a separate app. Everything else is basically the same.

theelysium
Jun 28, 2012, 12:12 PM
good. Dump that ugly icon while you're at it.

lol no *****! :)

Wolfpup
Jun 28, 2012, 12:13 PM
Basically chops out the device management out of iTunes into a separate app. Everything else is basically the same.

That would only potentially help people who use iTunes, but never with anything except their PC.

Otherwise, dealing with my iPod and iPad is something I'm almost always going to want to do when I'm dealing with my podcasts and the like.

brennt
Jun 28, 2012, 12:14 PM
I thought we were able to undelete (or restore) contacts deleted from iCloud. I swore that was a major point of contention, when Apple dropped iSync.

I have not found anything that will allow this. All my devices use iCloud for contacts. If any contact gets deleted, it is gone for good. So to protect myself, I wrote a Automator script to export my contacts and save to a file each hour. Time Machine then backs the archive file up. That is not a very good solution though, imho.

Frobozz
Jun 28, 2012, 12:23 PM
iTunes really, really, really needs this. It's spot on. The overall purpose of this app has changed over the years. There's a lot of old thinking in the interface, especially when it comes to the iCloud syncing. It really doesn't make much sense to me in it's current form.

edwurtle
Jun 28, 2012, 12:46 PM
That would only potentially help people who use iTunes, but never with anything except their PC.

Otherwise, dealing with my iPod and iPad is something I'm almost always going to want to do when I'm dealing with my podcasts and the like.

Huh? Was this a google translation?

bedifferent
Jun 28, 2012, 12:51 PM
I have not found anything that will allow this. All my devices use iCloud for contacts. If any contact gets deleted, it is gone for good. So to protect myself, I wrote a Automator script to export my contacts and save to a file each hour. Time Machine then backs the archive file up. That is not a very good solution though, imho.

"Time Machine" also backs up your contacts. If you open "Contacts", then click on the "Time Machine" icon you can open "Contacts" in "Time Machine" and restore individual or groups of contacts. No need to create an hourly backup with a script, it's redundant. :)

(this is true for Mail and other OS X apps, open the app first, then "Time Machine", it will open restore points for that opened app, this used to be the case for iPhoto as well but Apple changed that with version 9 which has been a MAJOR contention)

URFloorMatt
Jun 28, 2012, 03:19 PM
Are people really so vain that they are willing to quadruple their bandwidth use just to make their ugly faces clearer?

That would certainly be a reason against doing it, but the 720p iSight seems to be making its way across Apple's lineup. Didn't show up on the new iPad, but that's usually six months behind, rather than six months ahead, of the iPhone (LTE being the exception rather than the rule).

But there's been no rumor of it; that's just pure speculation on my part. Camera spec bumps are an annual thing, but the iSight hasn't been upgraded since the iPhone 4 now.

Sedrick
Jun 28, 2012, 04:18 PM
I'd be happy if:
It didn't take so long to load that I've double clicked the icon six times.
It didn't freeze up for 30 seconds every single time I click on anything.

Gemütlichkeit
Jun 28, 2012, 04:48 PM
Been ready for this since I switched to mac in 08.

----------

I'd be happy if:
It didn't take so long to load that I've double clicked the icon six times.
It didn't freeze up for 30 seconds every single time I click on anything.
Sounds like permission problems. How big is your library anyway?

AidenShaw
Jun 28, 2012, 04:51 PM
Yikes-then they've got to either duplicate a ton of code, actually making the whole mess MORE bloated, or you're just dealing with separate front ends.

Shared libraries would mean no duplication.

Separate front ends makes much more sense than the "kitchen sink" approach.

wikus
Jun 28, 2012, 04:57 PM
I hope they split iTunes into two; one fore media services and one for STRICTLY mp3 playback and nothing more. Theres no need to have a bloated heap of crap take up 200mb of ram for simple mp3 playback. Nearly every friend of mine who has a library that exceeds 200gb in size complains of slow performance and frequent crashes with iTunes.

idunn
Jun 28, 2012, 05:14 PM
;) Since I'm largely happy with iTunes as is, I tend to view any major "improvement" with a certain skepticism. Although sure there are many who will welcome various features wished for.

While not particularly concerned with sharing music, I would suggest a possible change or two. The addition of 1080p video in movies and television programs is most welcome. And even if Apple does not exactly control this, the suggestion they encourage their studio partners to release all the many older titles they have yet to in HD. There are many excellent movies, even decades old, which are still only offered in SD, even when many new releases—and sometimes of very questionable merit—are more routinely now offered immediately in either SD or HD. Good that they are, but how about everything else?

I've noticed some older titles that were formerly only offered in SD, at least now also the option to rent in HD. But that is milking the cow to utter exhaustion. Anyone who has paid attention has surely wised up to such schemes, and perhaps wait until the eventual desired release for purchase in 1080p.

Other than this? Oh, probably a few things. But most of all, please Apple do not tamper too much with what is basically a great media resource. As well, thank you for it.

belltree
Jun 28, 2012, 05:35 PM

Narrow minded? Wouldn't the opposite, making it mandatory, be (by definition) "narrow minded"? Users should have the option not to use any iCloud services if they so choose. You need to get off your "anything Apple does is great" fanboy cart lad.

kumquat
Jun 28, 2012, 07:25 PM
I have absolutely no interest in ever using cloud storage nor will I ever purchase a streaming music subscription.

Additionally, there is no need for a separate podcast app at all. All audio content (and all media content, for that matter) should be stored and accessible together.

I completely disagree that iTunes is bloated other than I'd be perfectly fine with them removing the store from the application and, if necessary, creating a new app just for buying overpriced crap. Their selection and pricing are ridiculous and horrible. Also, I'll argue that, even though I'm completely against even the existence of digital books, they do belong in "iTunes"/iMedia/iExperience/iIntake because they go hand in hand with audio books and can be filed under a Literature menu which can also include magazine subscriptions for those who use those.

Video:
- Movies
**** - Movie Extras
- TV Shows
- Music Videos
- Vlogs

Audio:
- Music
- Audio Books (optional)
- Radio
**** - Stations
**** - Podcasts/Radio Shows

Literature:
- Books
- Audio Books (optional)
- Magazines

What iTunes needs is a new name to cover all the media it can play, appropriate tags for movies, a built-in metatagger that actually works, a separate section for music videos and movie extras, the ability to show artwork for every tv episode instead of just by season without the user inputting bogus information, the ability to encode .VOB files and a built-in editor which can simply do the basics that Quicktime Pro can instead of the terrible Start play at xx:xx:xx etc.

If this new version requires iCloud usage for full functionality, I will completely move all my media to a 3rd party app.

And those of you getting the beachball of death when trying to use the app really need to check your permissions and possibly upgrade your ram and content locations; even my old PPC G5 running Tiger can use iTunes without a hitch and no problem on newer machines either even with 300 movies and 18,000 songs.

brennt
Jun 28, 2012, 07:34 PM
"Time Machine" also backs up your contacts. If you open "Contacts", then click on the "Time Machine" icon you can open "Contacts" in "Time Machine" and restore individual or groups of contacts. No need to create an hourly backup with a script, it's redundant. :)

(this is true for Mail and other OS X apps, open the app first, then "Time Machine", it will open restore points for that opened app, this used to be the case for iPhoto as well but Apple changed that with version 9 which has been a MAJOR contention)

I just tried this and you are absolutely correct! I've never tried opening up the address book then going into Time Machine. Even though my contacts are in iCloud, it was able to restore one of the ones I deleted as a test. This makes me feel way more at ease about iCloud. I can get rid of my script now:o Thanks for the info!

bedifferent
Jun 28, 2012, 09:39 PM
I just tried this and you are absolutely correct! I've never tried opening up the address book then going into Time Machine. Even though my contacts are in iCloud, it was able to restore one of the ones I deleted as a test. This makes me feel way more at ease about iCloud. I can get rid of my script now:o Thanks for the info!

Any time. Glad I could help. :)

mofunk
Jun 28, 2012, 10:04 PM

lol The "iTunes Store" was released in 2003. iTunes was released in 2001. They are two different things. I'm using iTunes 1.0 on my Mac and it still runs smooth :) No Store.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77634324@N00/2414376965

iTunes the media player was released in 2001. It doesn't not recognize iPods or any other device.

This whole thing sounds like MobileMe ?? with all the sharing.

sennekuyl
Jun 29, 2012, 06:14 AM
If iTunes were to be split into various app's, how would syncing devices work? As it stands, iTunes is acting as a conduit, a media hub, for devices. If it were to be broken down into separate music, video, applications (an iPhoto revamp would be nice), etc how would syncing all the media work? A revamped "iSync"?

Well, syncing is just copying files, so as long as they were in an expected location or had the correct tag/meta-info* the such factors are well and truly achievable.

It could be Apple could potentially do a synchronise/online store program, an audio-visual media & a textual document program (Please! There is no fundamental difference between a book & a 'periodical' except the faster publishing rate. Sure there is differences in how it is presented.) You could have a single database interface for the playlist & album information.

* I keep hoping someone will bring out a filesystem that does away with rigid hierarchy. It should be possible to extend ZFS to do it but I don't show any great aptitude for programming. In my wildest dreams it kinda functions like PersonalBrain (http://www.thebrain.com/).

Wolfpup
Jun 29, 2012, 09:30 AM
Shared libraries would mean no duplication.

But what's the advantage? They can do separate pieces of code NOW and pull them in as needed.

Separate front ends makes much more sense than the "kitchen sink" approach.

Why? Why should I have to launch a bunch of separate programs to do related tasks, and switch between them?

I hope they split iTunes into two; one fore media services and one for STRICTLY mp3 playback and nothing more.

Audio is media...what are you saying? Separate programs for audio and video? Why?

Theres no need to have a bloated heap of crap take up 200mb of ram for simple mp3 playback.

It doesn't use 200MB, it wouldn't really matter if it did, randomly taking out features isn't the only way to get a smaller memory footprint, and on what basis are you calling it "bloated" or "a heap of crap"?

Nearly every friend of mine who has a library that exceeds 200gb in size complains of slow performance and frequent crashes with iTunes.

At most I've probably got 30-40GB, and maybe something goes wrong if you go even bigger, but why do you suppose randomly pulling out features would improve things? If there's a problem with the program, fix the problem. Pulling the program apart doesn't fix the problem, it creates more work that takes away time they could be spending on fixing the problem, assuming there even is a problem.

Additionally, there is no need for a separate podcast app at all. All audio content (and all media content, for that matter) should be stored and accessible together.

Yep, and you know it occurred to me today too as I was searching for Chrome in the iTunes store how great it is having ALL iOS related stuff show up in one single view...it's neatly organized, but made me aware of podcasts on the subject, etc.

Do these people want a separate program to run audio books too?

If this new version requires iCloud usage for full functionality, I will completely move all my media to a 3rd party app.

Yeah, I'll see what it entails, but I have a lot of stuff I don't WANT on other people's computers, and I LOVE that iTunes lets you have control over a lot of this stuff on your own PC...that's been a big selling point and advantage over Windows Phone and Android.

And those of you getting the beachball of death when trying to use the app really need to check your permissions and possibly upgrade your ram and content locations; even my old PPC G5 running Tiger can use iTunes without a hitch and no problem on newer machines either even with 300 movies and 18,000 songs.

Yeah, iTunes runs just fine on a system I have with a 1GHz AMD c50 chip even, let alone something even vaguely modernish.

bedifferent
Jun 29, 2012, 03:37 PM
Well, syncing is just copying files, so as long as they were in an expected location or had the correct tag/meta-info* the such factors are well and truly achievable.

It could be Apple could potentially do a synchronise/online store program, an audio-visual media & a textual document program (Please! There is no fundamental difference between a book & a 'periodical' except the faster publishing rate. Sure there is differences in how it is presented.) You could have a single database interface for the playlist & album information.

* I keep hoping someone will bring out a filesystem that does away with rigid hierarchy. It should be possible to extend ZFS to do it but I don't show any great aptitude for programming. In my wildest dreams it kinda functions like PersonalBrain (http://www.thebrain.com/).

AMEN on the file system. I still have Leopard beta's with ZFS+ integration. A shame what became of it. Good points in all. :)

unplugme71
Jul 23, 2012, 08:39 AM
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4915?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Can't seem to do that with apps though