PDA

View Full Version : text size

jena55
Jun 27, 2012, 08:43 PM
I just received my 13" macbook air tonight. It is an awesome machine, but I am getting kind of hung up on the font sizes. My eyes are very strained after working on it for about 2 hours. I did all the zooming and all that stuff, but it still just wasn't great. I am worried it is going to be too much of a strain to do a lot of work on. I didn't think my eyesight was that bad, but maybe I was wrong! Would it be crazy to exchange for the 13" pro with poorer resolution to get larger native fonts? Did any of you think the text was small at first but then get used to it? :confused::confused:

jena55
Jun 27, 2012, 08:58 PM
Would switching the airs resolution to 1200x800 make it look the same as the pros or would the pro look better because it is its native resolution? (i know it sounds dumb to decrease resolution, but i gotta be able to read!)

No1nfoProvided
Jun 27, 2012, 09:05 PM
Would switching the airs resolution to 1200x800 make it look the same as the pros or would the pro look better because it is its native resolution? (i know it sounds dumb to decrease resolution, but i gotta be able to read!)

If you decrease the resolution, everything would look bigger but would be a little bit more blurry than if the screen had a default resolution of 1200x800. I do not believe there is a native OS X method of increasing font size. Which applications are you having trouble seeing? Which zooming method did you use (for instance, the zooming feature in the Universal Access portion of System Preferences is pretty terrible, but the individual zooming features in Firefox, Word, etc are pretty good)?

jena55
Jun 27, 2012, 09:20 PM
If you decrease the resolution, everything would look bigger but would be a little bit more blurry than if the screen had a default resolution of 1200x800. I do not believe there is a native OS X method of increasing font size. Which applications are you having trouble seeing? Which zooming method did you use (for instance, the zooming feature in the Universal Access portion of System Preferences is pretty terrible, but the individual zooming features in Firefox, Word, etc are pretty good)?

I was just using the pinch method on the trackpad and the text size increase tool on the safari toolbar. I am having trouble with internet text and text in applications like iTunes.

brentsg
Jun 27, 2012, 09:33 PM
If the Air is too small with text then you should try the Pro. Native will be much better than scaled.

No1nfoProvided
Jun 27, 2012, 09:43 PM
I was just using the pinch method on the trackpad and the text size increase tool on the safari toolbar. I am having trouble with internet text and text in applications like iTunes.

With Safari, I believe you're using the same zoom feature as the one in the toolbar. I would try changing the resolution like you suggested to see how you like it. I don't know of any other way to increase text size. You might want to exchange for the 13" MBP like you mentioned earlier if you end up not liking the reduced resolution. I also have a link here with stuff for you to try as well from the Apple's website.

http://www.apple.com/accessibility/macosx/vision.html

Also, try posting in the Mac OS X part of the forums. People might have more input there as well.

GBlansten
Jun 27, 2012, 09:59 PM
To hell with Safari. I agree about the font sizes. I just installed Google Chrome and went to 110% font size on the Chrome options.

hfg
Jun 27, 2012, 10:17 PM
If the "double tap zoom" isn't doing it for you ... simply go to a drugstore and get a cheap pair of reading glasses which work for you at the exact viewing distance you normally sit from the screen. Find the proper strength for you, then find a pair of that strength you can live with on your face.

I know ... it sounds stupid ... but just try it! ;)
You might like it! Much less eye strain!

You can even find ones which sit low on your nose so that by looking up at the TV you actually look over the lenses for normal distance viewing.

You probably won't find much relief moving from a 11" Air to a 13" Air ... the font size is very similar, there is just more of it. You can of course set the resolution lower and still have a useable screen display with the extra physical size of the screen. The 13" Pro would probably help, but with a larger, heavier computer.

GBlansten
Jun 27, 2012, 10:25 PM
If the "double tap zoom" isn't doing it for you ... simply go to a drugstore and get a cheap pair of reading glasses which work for you at the exact viewing distance you normally sit from the screen. Find the proper strength for you, then find a pair of that strength you can live with on your face.

You can even find ones which sit low on your nose so that by looking up at the TV you actually look over the lenses for normal distance viewing.

You probably won't find much relief moving from a 11" to a 13" ... the font size is very similar, there is just more of it. You can of course set the resolution lower and still have a useable screen display with the extra physical size of the screen.

I doubt he has presbyopia.

hfg
Jun 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
I doubt he has presbyopia.

OK ... I had to look that up ... :)

Regardless of the OPs age or eyesight ... the 2X or 2.5X magnification makes a big difference in the eyestrain for me. The display is plenty crisp, so making it slightly bigger is perfect! ;)

mattopotamus
Jun 28, 2012, 12:07 PM

You probably won't find much relief moving from a 11" Air to a 13" Air ... the font size is very similar, there is just more of it. You can of course set the resolution lower and still have a useable screen display with the extra physical size of the screen. The 13" Pro would probably help, but with a larger, heavier computer.

He is already on the 13" air

tsboy69
Jun 28, 2012, 12:12 PM
He is already on the 13" air

He didn't see that :D

lannisters4life
Jun 28, 2012, 04:16 PM
This is where the MBP retina display overcomes the marketing hysteria and become amazingly useful. I would love the retina scaling to become a fixture of OS X regardless of the screen in use. Scaling the 1400x900 down to 1280x800 like the retina does 2880x1800 to 1920x1200, would be a great feature.

pressplay
Jul 2, 2012, 03:23 AM
I'm in the same exact boat my friend. Just got my Air 3 days ago and I've been trying to get used to it. So far I'm on the fence, and that's such a shame because this is such a good computer in all other respects. I'm going to the Apple Store tomorrow to check out the 13" MBP. I'm not excited about it though--never wanted to get a Pro in the first place.

What have you decided for your Air?

jena55
Jul 2, 2012, 06:53 AM
I'm in the same exact boat my friend. Just got my Air 3 days ago and I've been trying to get used to it. So far I'm on the fence, and that's such a shame because this is such a good computer in all other respects. I'm going to the Apple Store tomorrow to check out the 13" MBP. I'm not excited about it though--never wanted to get a Pro in the first place.

What have you decided for your Air?

I actually went ahead and ordered a 13" MB Pro just so I could compare the two hands on. I had checked them out at Best Buy, but that wasn't enough time for me to figure it out. I ordered the Pro last week. Since then, I have been using the Air and getting a little more used to the font size and zooming. I love the form factor and crispness so much, I am starting to think the Pro will be going back. The Pro should come today, so hopefully I will be able to make a decision soon.

pressplay
Jul 2, 2012, 10:28 AM
I actually went ahead and ordered a 13" MB Pro just so I could compare the two hands on. I had checked them out at Best Buy, but that wasn't enough time for me to figure it out. I ordered the Pro last week. Since then, I have been using the Air and getting a little more used to the font size and zooming. I love the form factor and crispness so much, I am starting to think the Pro will be going back. The Pro should come today, so hopefully I will be able to make a decision soon.

Keep me posted if you can. I'd love to hear what your conclusion is.

robvas
Jul 2, 2012, 11:42 AM
11" Air, 13" Air, 15" Pro hi-res, and 17" Pro all have just about the same size fonts - 130 ppi or so

pressplay
Jul 3, 2012, 11:02 AM
11" Air, 13" Air, 15" Pro hi-res, and 17" Pro all have just about the same size fonts - 130 ppi or so

Really interesting. I went to the Apple Store yesterday to try out the different Macbooks and yeah, all the font sizes felt the same. I'm not sure what to think now.

jena55
Jul 3, 2012, 11:48 AM
Really interesting. I went to the Apple Store yesterday to try out the different Macbooks and yeah, all the font sizes felt the same. I'm not sure what to think now.

I got the 13" MB Pro in yesterday, so I played around with it last night and did some comparisons. The font size is bigger in most instances on the 13" pro due to the lower resolution. There are some apps where it isn't very noticeable, but on most it is. The font is also darker in most places, which makes it a little easier to read for me.

Overall though, I am undecided and will need to spend a little more time with each machine before I decide which one to send back. For your information, I will post my personal pros and cons of each machine at the moment. I know for most power users, they would disagree with these... but these are coming from a casual user who just needs to be able to work comfortably.

MB Pro 13" pros

-text is easier to read in most instances due to being slightly larger and darker

-easier to type on for long periods of time due to more feedback on the keys, good for paper writing

-color is more intense

MB Air 13" pros

-obviously it is lighter which makes it easy to rest about anyway when working on the couch. Although, the pro is by no means heavy.

- i do like the wedge design for comfort when typing

-it seemed to be cooler. The MB Pro got hot pretty quick

-much less glare

Overall, the Air does look slicker... but I really need to weigh that against my comfort in using it. My two main hangups are text size and also the shallower keyboard.

I have a paper to write tonight and tomorrow, so I am going to play with them more while doing that and try to make a decision by Thursday on which to send back. I really want to like the Air the best because it seems more cutting edge, but just not sure yet.

Hungry&Foolish
Jul 3, 2012, 12:09 PM
I got the 13" MB Pro in yesterday, so I played around with it last night and did some comparisons. The font size is bigger in most instances on the 13" pro due to the lower resolution. There are some apps where it isn't very noticeable, but on most it is. The font is also darker in most places, which makes it a little easier to read for me.

Overall though, I am undecided and will need to spend a little more time with each machine before I decide which one to send back. For your information, I will post my personal pros and cons of each machine at the moment. I know for most power users, they would disagree with these... but these are coming from a casual user who just needs to be able to work comfortably.

MB Pro 13" pros

-text is easier to read in most instances due to being slightly larger and darker

-easier to type on for long periods of time due to more feedback on the keys, good for paper writing

-color is more intense

MB Air 13" pros

-obviously it is lighter which makes it easy to rest about anyway when working on the couch. Although, the pro is by no means heavy.

- i do like the wedge design for comfort when typing

-it seemed to be cooler. The MB Pro got hot pretty quick

-much less glare

Overall, the Air does look slicker... but I really need to weigh that against my comfort in using it. My two main hangups are text size and also the shallower keyboard.

I have a paper to write tonight and tomorrow, so I am going to play with them more while doing that and try to make a decision by Thursday on which to send back. I really want to like the Air the best because it seems more cutting edge, but just not sure yet.
I had the same font being too small on Air problem, tried everything, I wear glasses, used to get splitting headaches, my eyes would start watering, but I just loved the Air's form factor too much. In the end settled for this solution. Go to safari, then Preferences, then Advanced, then Universal Access, Check the box with Never use font smaller than, by default it is 9, I changed it to 12. Close safari and then open back. For me personally this works. Hope it helps.

Hungry&Foolish
Jul 3, 2012, 12:48 PM
For itunes I tried this http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/01/change-font-size-itunes-track-list/

jena55
Jul 3, 2012, 06:38 PM
I had the same font being too small on Air problem, tried everything, I wear glasses, used to get splitting headaches, my eyes would start watering, but I just loved the Air's form factor too much. In the end settled for this solution. Go to safari, then Preferences, then Advanced, then Universal Access, Check the box with Never use font smaller than, by default it is 9, I changed it to 12. Close safari and then open back. For me personally this works. Hope it helps.

Thank you. That does help a little bit. Have you found your eyes have adjusted well? Or do you still get some eye strain?

entatlrg
Jul 3, 2012, 06:44 PM
And people want higher resolution screens on the MacBook Air's :rolleyes::eek:

I suggest trying it for a full week and see how your eyes adjust. You won't enjoy the lower resolution of the 13" MBP I don't think ... yes, the fonts are larger but very pixelated.

dmelgar
Jul 3, 2012, 09:29 PM
On my MBA, the default screen color profile is very washed out, its an LG display but my old 2010 did the same thing.

I used the advanced calibration option in system preferences. It greatly increases the contrast which makes the text much easier to read.

DVD9
Jul 3, 2012, 09:46 PM
This is where the MBP retina display overcomes the marketing hysteria and become amazingly useful. I would love the retina scaling to become a fixture of OS X regardless of the screen in use. Scaling the 1400x900 down to 1280x800 like the retina does 2880x1800 to 1920x1200, would be a great feature.

If the OP doesn't stop playing with those crappy Air screens and get a Retina he'll be blind in six months.

Sounds Good
Jul 3, 2012, 10:01 PM
And people want higher resolution screens on the MacBook Air's :rolleyes::eek:.
Not me. I'll never understand it.

jena55
Jul 3, 2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks for all the tips, everyone. I think I have made up my mind. I have been typing a paper for the last several hours. I decided to give it a shot on the Macbook Air to see how it would go. It went pretty well and I became accustomed to the keyboard in no time. Well, my Air is about to go dead (yes, i have been typing the paper that long, it sucks!!) so I plugged it in and decided to give the Pro a try. After being on the Air for several hours, the differences when switching to the Pro were obvious. I definitely like the Air's wedge design better for typing, I no longer care for the deeper keys of the Pro and the screen is much less sharp. Also, the Pro got hot in mere minutes, and my Air remained cool the entire time I worked on it. With the tips of everyone on this forum, I was able to adjust the Air well enough to where it is comfortable for me to work on it for long periods of time.

So, there you go- Air it is!!! ;);):p:):)

JMountainDew
Jul 4, 2012, 04:25 PM
I see the difference! Just spent a good amount of time at the local BestBut playing with the the 13" pro and air side-by-side. Fonts on the air are a little smaller, but more crisp. Pictures and videos on the pro are a bit more colorful, but less defined. With my astigmatism, I have been leaning toward getting the pro (because fonts etc were a bit larger), but now I'm certainly in favor of the air precisely because of the detail.

Now my only remaining dilemma is 128 gb vs 256 gb ssd and 4 gb vs 8 gb memory.

pressplay
Jul 4, 2012, 11:47 PM
So, there you go- Air it is!!! ;);):p:):)

Great! I'm on the other side--got a MBP 13", 2010. Money become more of an issue for me. Oddly enough, my girlfriend decided to get a 2012 MBA lol, so I guess we can compare our notebooks forever.

lannisters4life
Jul 4, 2012, 11:56 PM
I see the difference! Just spent a good amount of time at the local BestBut playing with the the 13" pro and air side-by-side. Fonts on the air are a little smaller, but more crisp. Pictures and videos on the pro are a bit more colorful, but less defined. With my astigmatism, I have been leaning toward getting the pro (because fonts etc were a bit larger), but now I'm certainly in favor of the air precisely because of the detail.

Now my only remaining dilemma is 128 gb vs 256 gb ssd and 4 gb vs 8 gb memory.

Did you try the retina? You can make the text size bigger than both the 13" Pro and Air, and it'll be clearer than both.

JMountainDew
Jul 5, 2012, 08:15 AM
Did you try the retina? You can make the text size bigger than both the 13" Pro and Air, and it'll be clearer than both.

No. Unfortunately, the retina is both too big to lug around and a bit out of my price range. Would be nice, though.

CoMoMacUser
Jul 5, 2012, 08:37 AM
This is why I wish that the Apple stores had a few desk chairs and recliners so shoppers could try the MBA and MBP in the positions they'll be using them.

jksu
Jul 5, 2012, 11:44 AM
Wirelessly posted

yup, for improved legibility:

- calibrating monitor
- increasing minimum font size in browsers
- zooming office documents to 125-150%
- 2 finger tap or pinch zoom
- and full screen browsing

all help.

or buy an external ips monitor for prolonged use. 23" 1080p ips models are under $200 (ie. aoc)

jena55
Jul 8, 2012, 12:08 PM
Wirelessly posted

yup, for improved legibility:

- calibrating monitor
- increasing minimum font size in browsers
- zooming office documents to 125-150%
- 2 finger tap or pinch zoom
- and full screen browsing

all help.

or buy an external ips monitor for prolonged use. 23" 1080p ips models are under $200 (ie. aoc)

I just wanted to say for me the best solution was downloading the extension ALLPAGESZOOM. This has pretty much solved all safari problems for me. Love it. Also, doesn't hurt that I had to exchange my macbook air and ended up getting one with a Samsung display (had LG before). The difference in contrast has made a huge difference to my eyes. I am having no issues now! :)

Hungry&Foolish
Jul 16, 2012, 02:30 PM
Thank you. That does help a little bit. Have you found your eyes have adjusted well? Or do you still get some eye strain?

Deleted