PDA

View Full Version : What just happened to my new Air?

Mjmar
Jun 27, 2012, 09:31 PM
I just got a new 2012 Air and in the middle of using iMovie and having a few other apps opened the computer became unresponsive for about 5 minutes and then the screen just shut off. I tried to turn it on after it shut off, with no luck... Then about 5 minutes after that I pressed the power button and it turned on again. This is very strange to me because I had a white MacBook for 4 years nothing like this ever happened to it. Could anything be damaged inside of the Air? Should I see a genius? Thanks.

GREEN4U
Jun 27, 2012, 09:45 PM
I just got a new 2012 Air and in the middle of using iMovie and having a few other apps opened the computer became unresponsive for about 5 minutes and then the screen just shut off. I tried to turn it on after it shut off, with no luck... Then about 5 minutes after that I pressed the power button and it turned on again. This is very strange to me because I had a white MacBook for 4 years nothing like this ever happened to it. Could anything be damaged inside of the Air? Should I see a genius? Thanks.

I think you need to upgrade to 8GB. Just messing.

Rather than taking it to a Genius, I would just exchange it.

BTW, was this an online purchase or in-store?

KPOM
Jun 27, 2012, 09:55 PM
You can take it to a Genius Bar. However, you might see if there is a crash log. Click on Finder, and then hold the option key down while selecting the "Go" menu. Select the "Library," and then look for the Logs folder. Open it, and you will see a Crash Reporter folder. If there is one for today, that will help the Genius figure out what happened.

Mjmar
Jun 27, 2012, 10:04 PM
I think you need to upgrade to 8GB. Just messing.

Rather than taking it to a Genius, I would just exchange it.

BTW, was this an online purchase or in-store?

It was online. It's the 13/i7/8/256 version.

GREEN4U
Jun 27, 2012, 10:56 PM
It was online. It's the 13/i7/8/256 version.

Thanks. I'm collecting data to see if more lemons are BTO macs or in-store configurations. I've long hypothesized that the BTO macs that Apple ships from their website are junk and more prone to failure on arrival. The data, despite a limited sample size, is currently supporting that hypothesis. :)

Mjmar
Jun 27, 2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks. I'm collecting data to see if more lemons are BTO macs or in-store configurations. I've long hypothesized that the BTO macs that Apple ships from their website are junk and more prone to failure on arrival. The data, despite a limited sample size, is currently supporting that hypothesis. :)

I knew I shouldn't have gotten 8gb of RAM. ;)

jsolares
Jun 27, 2012, 11:19 PM

seems like it shut off due to temperature, it shouldn't happen, i'd take it in