PDA

View Full Version : [mobile OSs] iOS and Jelly Bean (merged)

Pages : [1] 2

AustinIllini
Jun 27, 2012, 08:53 PM
There is a big thread about the Google keynote this morning, but i just want to focus on the new android OS version. With the big Google Announcement earlier today about Jelly Bean (link below), how Jelly Bean change your perception of iOS 6? What does the next gen iPhone need in order to be on the same plane? Do the current android features tempt you to try an android device out?

http://reviews.cnet.com/operating-systems/google-android-4-1/4505-3671_7-35339167.html

diogolg
Jun 27, 2012, 09:07 PM
There is a big thread about the Google keynote this morning, but i just want to focus on the new android OS version. With the big Google Announcement earlier today about Jelly Bean (link below), how Jelly Bean change your perception of iOS 6? What does the next gen iPhone need in order to be on the same plane? Do the current android features tempt you to try an android device out?

http://reviews.cnet.com/operating-systems/google-android-4-1/4505-3671_7-35339167.html

I didn't see anything special... maybe that Google now thing

nuckinfutz
Jun 27, 2012, 09:12 PM
Underwhelmed really.

irDigital0l
Jun 27, 2012, 09:15 PM
Just like iOS 6...it was alright.

Some cool new features, didn't get me really excited though.

realeric
Jun 27, 2012, 09:29 PM
I would never allow Google now to collect my personal information. :mad:

mbell1975
Jun 27, 2012, 09:34 PM
Since both will be released within a few months of each other, which looks to be better?

iOS 6
http://gizmodo.com/5917359/ios-6-new-features-coming-soon-to-your-iphone-and-ipad

Jelly Bean
http://phandroid.com/2012/06/27/all-the-new-features-in-android-4-1-jelly-bean/

nuckinfutz
Jun 27, 2012, 09:38 PM
iOS by a landslide.

iOS is already "butter smooth"

All I need in the notification center is Twitter & FB and my notifications.

Siri is still better

Exio
Jun 27, 2012, 09:41 PM
I'm going to reply to this thread, how some of the apple fan boys are replying to the GS3 vs. 4s threads;

Jelly Bean was released way before iOS therefore it's not a fair comparison. Wait for 5.0 than talk to me.

:rolleyes:

But in all seriousness, iOS 6 doesn;t really add too much to iOS5, whereas Jelly Bean doesn't add that much to ICS, hence 4.1 to 4.0. But if we must compare, I'd take JB 4.1 over iOS 6.

----------

iOS by a landslide.

Siri is still better

Wait...so...your basing it off of 2 features, one of which will be equal in the next update? :rolleyes:

Calidude
Jun 27, 2012, 09:43 PM
Unlike Apple, Google keeps their minor updates to X.1 releases. :p

If this were 5.0, I would be disappointed, but nope, its 4.1, which fits the full changelog, which can be found here.

http://developer.android.com/about/versions/jelly-bean.html

And don't tell me you guys aren't jelly of these Jelly Bean notifications I'm about to install with the delta update that was just rolled out.

http://i.imgur.com/dNclZ.png

depths
Jun 27, 2012, 09:44 PM
I'm more excited about JB for my GSM Nexus that IOS 6 for my IPad 3.

It's like Google Christmas today. JB/Nexus tablet revealed and almost every Google app got updates and great UI improvements. The G+ and YouTube apps are really nice now.

gmanist1000
Jun 27, 2012, 09:44 PM
At least Jelly Bean is 4.1

iOS 6 should be 5.2

Calidude
Jun 27, 2012, 09:49 PM

iOS 6 should be 5.2
Truer words have never been spoken.

nuckinfutz
Jun 27, 2012, 09:52 PM
But in all seriousness, iOS 6 doesn;t really add too much to iOS5, whereas Jelly Bean doesn't add that much to ICS, hence 4.1 to 4.0. But if we must compare, I'd take JB 4.1 over iOS 6.

----------

Wait...so...your basing it off of 2 features, one of which will be equal in the next update? :rolleyes:

iOS 6 chops Jelly Bean up. JB is a bunch of surface stuff. iOS 6.0 is changing the way developers will deliver their UI in a more meaningful way.

iOS got the UI responsiveness "correct" the first time and didn't have take 5 versions before it got rid of stutter.

Meanee
Jun 27, 2012, 09:56 PM
iOS 6 chops Jelly Bean up. JB is a bunch of surface stuff. iOS 6.0 is changing the way developers will deliver their UI in a more meaningful way.

iOS got the UI responsiveness "correct" the first time and didn't have take 5 versions before it got rid of stutter.

ROFL

So, how's iOS "changing the way developers will deliver their UI" and what in the holy name of titties does that mean anyway?

So, just because JB will be buttery smooth, iOS6 chops it up? Great logic there.

By simple feature comparison, JB runs circles around iOS.

Technarchy
Jun 27, 2012, 09:57 PM
Basically google finally admitted openly that android runs like ass. Kinda defies everyone that claims android never lags.

Exio
Jun 27, 2012, 09:58 PM

One of the few reasons android had slight stutter in some instances in due to the amount of processes android runs at one time compared to iOS. iOS is a locked down OS with virtually no customization stock so therefore of course it will be more streamlined, if only by a little bit.

cyks
Jun 27, 2012, 10:00 PM
A poll based on 2 products that are yet to be released, both which are sure to have a few surprises in store before then... especially iOS 6 where, outside 5 or so items, almost nothing is fully known.A poll based on 2 products that are yet to be released, both which are sure to have a few surprises in store before then- especially iOS 6 where, outside 5 or so items, almost nothing is fully known....

Can't say I see the point of this.

That said, the answer is easy since only one of the two will work on my current phone.

onthecouchagain
Jun 27, 2012, 10:02 PM
Quite easily, Jelly Bean.

Chrome Beta was already a better mobile browser than Safari, and it'll come out of beta now. The keyboard is getting Swiftkey-like predictions. There'll be offline dictation. Google Maps is getting better. Notifications is expandable. They'll add smoothness to an already very stable and smooth OS. Google Now is interesting. I think Google is doing the right thing; they already made a huge overhaul with ICS and brought it close to or on par with iOS, and now with JB, they're going to build upon that.

At the same time, I'm not necessarily knocking iOS 6, but what Apple showed just didn't affect me the way I was hoping it would. It's great that dedicated iOS users will now get their own native Maps and Navigation system, but without any word on an improved keyboard (which so sorely needs to be updated) or improved Safari or improved Mail (when are we going to get full threaded messages?), iOS is beginning to show its age. The intentionally small incremental updates may work for some -- and again, kudos to you dedicated iOS-iPhone users -- but for others who want their phones to do more, it's becoming too frustrating to stick with iOS.

irDigital0l
Jun 27, 2012, 10:03 PM
A poll based on 2 products that are yet to be released, both which are sure to have a few surprises in store before then... especially iOS 6 where, outside 5 or so items, almost nothing is fully known.

Apple announced 10 of the most major features already.

I see a couple new things, but if your expecting tons of new OS features when they announce the iPhone '5', you'll probably be disappointed.

People are hoping for an "iPhone 4S Siri announcement". The problem with that though is that Apple only put in the Siri announcement so people would by the iPhone 4S. Imagine if previous iPhones also game with Siri.

It makes sense.

I honestly think all the features that Apple announced is what iOS 6 will pretty much be. Any other features will probably be iPhone 5 exclusive.

0m3ga
Jun 27, 2012, 10:05 PM
iOS6 features = Google Android 1.0 features

iOS5 notification center = Google Android 2.0 notifiction center

iOS6 is a step up for developers, but feature wise for the consumer, it's a bunch of copying from Android.

As for smoothness of the OS, GB 2.3.5 was smooth and ICS just gave Android a turbo boost on all mobile devices running that OS. My S3 in stock form is faster than a jailbroken and tweaked to the hilt iPhone 4s in every way.

I, and many on here, use both Android and iOS on a daily basis. We have the experience to know which is faster. The iFaithful that spout baseless crap from only using an iPhone, have very little credibility.

depths
Jun 27, 2012, 10:10 PM
Basically google finally admitted openly that android runs like ass. Kinda defies everyone that claims android never lags.

Why Android has UI lag for people that like to read things
https://plus.google.com/app/plus/mp/341/#~loop:view=activity&aid=z12rgpcobomeyvj0b222fzkqnwfgdbgrk04

SurferMan
Jun 27, 2012, 10:13 PM
iOS by a landslide.

Siri is still betterThat's such a played out response... sorry but my phone is every bit as smooth and fast as iOS, or at least how iOS used to be. Since after iOS5 I've noticed much more stutters and glitches here and there then before, even on the replacement 4S. Plus majority of my employee's have iPhones either provided by us or their own and we take care of service, I can say the "just works" argument is not accurate....

iOS6 is a step up for developers, but feature wise for the consumer, it's a bunch of copying from Android.

As for smoothness of the OS, GB 2.3.5 was smooth and ICS just gave Android a turbo boost on all mobile devices running that OS. My S3 in stock form is faster than a jailbroken and tweaked to the hilt iPhone 4s in every way.

I, and many on here, use both Android and iOS on a daily basis. We have the experience to know which is faster. The iFaithful that spout baseless crap from only using an iPhone, have very little credibility.Bingo, and my phones are jailbroken as well. I don't have a single issue as to lag, non smoothness and whatever else people on here like to post about. I too never cared for Android before and that was one of my excuses even with my limited experience of them. Then I get this phone last year on a whim and completely changed my mind. Smooth and fast stock, and wicked on the custom rom especially battery life during use.

If I had all those bs issues, especially lag, I wouldn't have made my phone my primary over the 4S:rolleyes:

I'll still upgrade to the next iPhone though, I don't have a problem using both, Just greatly prefer Android now. GF uses the 4S now for work. It's nice not being drunk off the koolaid like some on here and use both OSs.

jlwilsonjr
Jun 27, 2012, 10:15 PM
I thought this was also a good read. Great time to be a technology lover!

http://gizmodo.com/5921789/android-jelly-bean-vs-ios-6-vs-windows-phone-8-the-ultimate-mobile-comparison

nuckinfutz
Jun 27, 2012, 10:23 PM
ROFL

So, how's iOS "changing the way developers will deliver their UI" and what in the holy name of titties does that mean anyway?

So, just because JB will be buttery smooth, iOS6 chops it up? Great logic there.

By simple feature comparison, JB runs circles around iOS.

Features hahah. Notice how Google wants to do EVERYTHING for people rather than do what a platform provider should do and just back up and let your apps do the hard work.

Meanwhile Apple creates Auto Layout so that I can have a UI that tailors itself smartly. Great if I want to address portrait vs landscape or or even account for text in some languages that are longer/shorter than others.

Apples Map has the ideal way to deal with Transit routes. Let the developers handle it rather than trying to funnel their hard work through a generic service (GTFS). Expect iOS Transit apps to be far better and more current

iCloud for easy document sync.

Accessibility settings that allow you to ensure that the child that is using the iPhone or iPad stays in the intended app

It's not even close. Most of the people at Google I/O are press that oooh and ahhh over everything. WWDC is about delivering features that people can earn a living of of.

One of the few reasons android had slight stutter in some instances in due to the amount of processes android runs at one time compared to iOS. iOS is a locked down OS with virtually no customization stock so therefore of course it will be more streamlined, if only by a little bit.

No. It's because Google is a web company and doesn't understand how to deal with graphic and CPU pipelines. Apple's been doing it for decades with their OS and it shows. It's not about being locked down it's about knowing how to leverage threads and compute resources. Google is woefully outmatched here.

----------

I, and many on here, use both Android and iOS on a daily basis. We have the experience to know which is faster. The iFaithful that spout baseless crap from only using an iPhone, have very little credibility.

LOL. You keep on believing that.

depths
Jun 27, 2012, 10:24 PM
No. It's because Google is a web company and doesn't understand how to deal with graphic and CPU pipelines. Apple's been doing it for decades with their OS and it shows. It's not about being locked down it's about knowing how to leverage threads and compute resources. Google is woefully outmatched here.

Come on, really?

I think it's fair to say that's Google has progressed quite a bit since 1998 and are now more than just a "web company".

I'm sure some of the 33,000 employees who have nothing to do with search would be pretty upset to hear they're redundant.

onthecouchagain
Jun 27, 2012, 10:26 PM
It's getting very easy to tell who's used both ICS and iOS. Those that haven't will cling onto the failings of Android from yesteryears.

nuckinfutz
Jun 27, 2012, 10:31 PM
Come on, really?

I think it's fair to say that's Google has progressed quite a bit since 1998 and are now more than just a "web company".

I'm sure some of the 33,000 employees who have nothing to do with search would be pretty upset to hear they're redundant.

Certainly. They've done an AMAZING job with Android. But fair is fair. Google > Apple in web technology (looks at my Chrome browser) but Apple can do things with graphics that only Adobe can outdo. The Retina Macbook Pro is a prime example. Few companies could make it work which is why they haven't tried.

Apple has many disciplines that they are strong in that come from being a platform vendor for desktops. Look at Microsoft's phones...they show the same prowess in handling graphics and GPU compute resources.

Google, being a web company, just doesn't have that experience and it shows. They have to toss a lot of HW at their OS to get it to perform. If Apple delivers a smaller iPad it'll be a dual core that is more responsive than a Nexus Quad. Bank on it.

depths
Jun 27, 2012, 10:55 PM
Technology is always improving. Currently Apple is a market leader in mobile computing and in some aspects leading the way when it comes to new technologies. It's not that other compainies can't do things like the Retina Display, they just haven't yet. Apple has poured R/D into that area and reaped the rewards.

They've also fallen behind in the desktop market (Mac Pro I'm looking at you). Is that related to their focus on mobile? I don't know, I don't work for Apple.

Adobe makes software. They are not the only ones able to match Apple's graphical prowess. They're not related.

In regards to IOS and Android, I think it has more to do with the fundamental differances between the two OS's and what they are trying to acheive than Apples employee's superior coding ability.

Apple engineers the hardware and supllies the OS.
Google cooperates with other companies to produce their hardware and developes open source software.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each.

onthecouchagain
Jun 27, 2012, 11:03 PM
The list of iOS advantages over Android have seriously shrunk in the past year or so.

UseYourIllusion
Jun 27, 2012, 11:07 PM
I've used countless android devices, I work for a major carrier and get easy access to all new devices, but always went back to whatever jail broken iPhone I had at the time. I sold my 4S a couple weeks ago after having used my One X for over a month now and can't really see myself going back to ios permanently, especially with the big disappointment that iOS 6 was. The far superior notification system and easy customization of android has gotten me locked in and it's finally polished enough to match iOS IMO. I still love my iPad though and can't see switching from that any time soon. Competition only benefits us all and hopefully Apple takes the android threat more seriously as they continue to close the gap and go back to innovating in the mobile space instead of trying to litigate away their problems.

canucksfan88
Jun 27, 2012, 11:10 PM
i have had the 3G and iPhone 4...
i might actually give the S3 a shot when my contract expires.

really...comparing it now is too hard. its about user experience and personal preference. if someone likes android...good for them. if someone likes iOS...good for them.

to each his own

nuckinfutz
Jun 27, 2012, 11:10 PM
The list of iOS advantages over Android have seriously shrunk in the past year or so.

People don't buy based on a feature list they buy based on ease of use.

Android simply isn't going to be either Microsoft or Apple. Eventually both companies will leverage the respective platforms and Android will have the web and that's about it.

0m3ga
Jun 27, 2012, 11:16 PM
LOL. You keep on believing that.

No worries, I will. I know what these phones can do... you know... cause I actually own them and use them.

I do enjoy posts by people like you though. It's like the kool-aid drips from your posts with the sheer amount of ignorance. I particularly enjoyed this bit from you:
Notice how Google wants to do EVERYTHING for people rather than do what a platform provider should do and just back up and let your apps do the hard work
google wants to do everything for people, rather than just back up and let the apps do the work? Really?
I actually laughed at this statement. 1. I think you need to learn about open source and oem UI's. 2. Android is about having choices and NOT have everything done for you. I know you have become one of Apple's assimilated drones, but even you should know this. 3. You basically just called every Apple user an idiot. Great job.

depths
Jun 27, 2012, 11:17 PM
I'd argue that 'having the web' is a pretty big deal in 2012.

Exio
Jun 27, 2012, 11:18 PM

Android simply isn't going to be either Microsoft or Apple. Eventually both companies will leverage the respective platforms and Android will have the web and that's about it.

Nice off topic post. What you are referring to is technology retarded consumers. This thread is dealing with which is better, so those consumers should not be taken into account, as they don't care, just so long as facebook and youtube work.

markrox7
I think it's a good thing that Google made Jelly Bean 4.1 and not 5.0. I can see how people are upset with Apple naming iOS 6 as "6," but compared to the Android update, it's a little bit more significant. Both OS updates feature improved UIs and stability and all the other basics. Jelly Bean didn't add anything new (except for Google Now, which looks awesome but creepy,) they just changed some stuff. I'm not saying this is bad, ICS was alright and Jelly Bean is just building off of it.
Although iOS 5 and iOS 6 aren't immediately different to the user, I think iOS 6 deserves to be called iOS "6." Dumping Google Maps is a big deal, especially since Apple's creating their own Maps.app from the ground up. Passbook has a lot of potential (much more useful with NFC in the next iPhone, I'm assuming.) Say what you will, but iOS 6 really does feel like a new OS. It feels snappier and more intuitive.
Whether you love them or hate them, these OSes are both fantastic. And many people are upset that Apple and Google didn't offer more. Google's planning something fantastic for Android 5.0, they're just preparing it with JB. Apple updated their OS (maybe not worthy of a whole 1.0 OS update, but I think it's because they just wanted to keep things simple with their OS updates and naming) and I'm looking forward to iOS 6 because I know it'll be great.
You'll see, iOS 7 and Android 5.0 are going to be huge updates. Both companies are just setting up for them.

0m3ga

Awesome, another post by you calling Apple users morons.

So no one buys a phone based on anything but ease of use? Your ignorance is boundless.

nuckinfutz
Jun 27, 2012, 11:20 PM

iOS 6 should be 5.2

Truer words have never been spoken.

What features would iOS require to be a worthy 6.0? Widgets? Bluetooth and Wifi toggles? Cold fusion?

nuckinfutz
Jun 27, 2012, 11:31 PM
No worries, I will. I know what these phones can do... you know... cause I actually own them and use them.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"

Reminds me of when Android users try to show me swype. I then grab my phone. Hit a button and dictate a paragraph of text with punctuation. Then I just look at them and they get the point without me having to say another word.

baller1308
Jun 27, 2012, 11:37 PM
I remember trying to use an Android phone a while back and it was a terrible experience. But, things are looking better than ever and it's good competition. The only thing I am afraid of is if I buy a phone with Jelly Bean on it, and Android comes out with another OS update, when will I be able to get my hands on it. I know a lot of people that are still waiting for ICS to come to their devices. That's one of the major setbacks I see with Android phones.

nuckinfutz
Jun 27, 2012, 11:38 PM
Nice off topic post. What you are referring to is technology retarded consumers. This thread is dealing with which is better, so those consumers should not be taken into account, as they don't care, just so long as facebook and youtube work.

No this is patently false. It was the consumer that realized that the Mac was a big deal with a GUI and mouse and keyboard input. Geeks at that time were crowing about command line. Which paradigm became the standard? :D

Intelligence is not in how you manage to work around obstacles it's in working to ensure those obstacles no longer exist.

Like my swype scenario. Why would someone take the effort to learn a new way of using a keyboard over using the very power they've had for 95% of their life. Speech.

Technology is cool but in the end it must be relevant and even pragmatic for the masses to utilize it.

dylanursula
Jun 27, 2012, 11:41 PM
Always used Apple products, however JB 4.1 looked very very good. I am not a Fan boy of either; just a general end user but did preorder the Nxus7 today.

Vincent7
Jun 27, 2012, 11:42 PM
Well if the rumors are true about the 4-inch iphone then it might bring more features to ios6.

Calidude
Jun 27, 2012, 11:42 PM
Jelly Bean 4.1 is clearly a more advanced OS than iOS6.

If anything, iOS6 and its Maps feature took one step forward and two steps back.

DodgeV83
Jun 27, 2012, 11:45 PM

I could also say iOS features < Windows Mobile 5.0 features (released in 2005)

Apple will always be behind in a straight features list comparison, it's not their focus. I could do pretty much everything today's Android phones do, on my 2005 Windows Mobile device, doesn't mean I want to use it :)

Calidude
Jun 27, 2012, 11:51 PM
I remember trying to use an Android phone a while back and it was a terrible experience. But, things are looking better than ever and it's good competition. The only thing I am afraid of is if I buy a phone with Jelly Bean on it, and Android comes out with another OS update, when will I be able to get my hands on it. I know a lot of people that are still waiting for ICS to come to their devices. That's one of the major setbacks I see with Android phones.
All you have to do is be an informed consumer with the know-how to flash software onto hardware and you will be absolutely content with Android phones. ICS can easily be had on MANY handsets. It's just that some manufacturers out there aren't doing their jobs.

The only people who are upset with Android are the people who have an Apple mentality about their gadgets. They want the almighty Google to do everything for them, even with the fact that Android is on hundreds of devices now while Apple only ships out a single handset every year. Those people are going to sit there for a long time because they're too scared to actually be independent and use the tools provided by their open-source community for their handset, provided that they didn't cheap out and got something nice like an HTC One X.

With open-source software, you have to be a man and do some things yourself. The jailbreakers here know what I'm talking about to some extent, while the helpless non-jailbreak iOS users out there simply have no clue.

Meanee
Jun 27, 2012, 11:57 PM

Reminds me of when Android users try to show me swype. I then grab my phone. Hit a button and dictate a paragraph of text with punctuation. Then I just look at them and they get the point without me having to say another word.

So, you are showing off technology that Android had for quite some time, and according to Gizmodo, outperforms Siri? Great "demo" there. Android users can Swype and dictate a paragraph of text.

Next argument?

----------

I could also say iOS features < Windows Mobile 5.0 features (released in 2005)

Apple will always be behind in a straight features list comparison, it's not their focus. I could do pretty much everything today's Android phones do, on my 2005 Windows Mobile device, doesn't mean I want to use it :)

I owned 3 Windows Mobile devices. And this post cannot be further from truth.

depths
Jun 27, 2012, 11:57 PM

The Nexus line directly addresses this problem.

The Galaxy Nexus, the Nexus Tablet launched today and the rumored 5 Nexus phones to be released at the end of the year will all receive updates directly from Google.

Even the Nexus One that was pulled from receiving an ICS update because it's hardware was a bit **** by then received official updates for 22 months so you're almost certain to receive Key Lime Pie (or whatever it is called) and possibly the next release as well.

If you're really keen to get updates quickly you can flash the latest version the moment it's released by Google instead of having to wait for an OTA update.

Calidude
Jun 28, 2012, 12:00 AM
What features would iOS require to be a worthy 6.0? Widgets? Bluetooth and Wifi toggles? Cold fusion?
We've discussed this in the other thread, man. You know exactly what people are asking for.

Stop acting like a Apple shill.

bidwalj
Jun 28, 2012, 12:04 AM
Forgot the naming and numbering aspect for a second and just look at how the overall ui looks similar for both updates. I don't know what google has planned, but I won't be surprised even if their next update doesn't change the ui much. Google in the past overhauled their os with each update because they had to. Android was not where they wanted and was not on the level of ios. Now that it has developed into its own, I don't doubt google will also just refine for the next little bit. Apple seemed to have gotten it right off the bat and have continued to just add to it.

Even windows, for ui purposes only, largely looks very similar to what they already had.

DodgeV83
Jun 28, 2012, 12:08 AM
All you have to do is be an informed consumer with the know-how to flash software onto hardware and you will be absolutely content with Android phones. ICS can easily be had on MANY handsets. It's just that some manufacturers out there aren't doing their jobs.

The only people who are upset with Android are the people who have an Apple mentality about their gadgets. They want the almighty Google to do everything for them, even with the fact that Android is on hundreds of devices now while Apple only ships out a single handset every year. Those people are going to sit there for a long time because they're too scared to actually be independent and use the tools provided by their open-source community for their handset, provided that they didn't cheap out and got something nice like an HTC One X.

With open-source software, you have to be a man and do some things yourself. The jailbreakers here know what I'm talking about to some extent, while the helpless non-jailbreak iOS users out there simply have no clue.

Replacing the entire operating system, on the one technology device that holds nearly all of our personal information, with one posted from an unknown source in a message forum, is the epitome of insecurity.

I'm sure if Google posted official ROMs on their website, many more people would take advantage of this...now that I think about it, why doesn't Google do this? Do the carriers really have that much power?

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 12:08 AM
.... and according to Gizmodo,

LOL. You're dead to me. Gizmodo is trash. If that's where you get your info It speaks volumes.

Calidude
Jun 28, 2012, 12:10 AM
Forgot the naming and numbering aspect for a second and just look at how the overall ui looks similar for both updates. I don't know what google has planned, but I won't be surprised even if their next update doesn't change the ui much.
Yeah, they don't have to change the UI much because they already include the ability to actually customize the UI, unlike Apple.

When you find something that works for most people, you stick to it, obviously, but you don't lock people into that grid of icons without giving your users the freedom to go past a grid of icons.

onthecouchagain
Jun 28, 2012, 12:10 AM
People don't buy based on a feature list they buy based on ease of us.

I'm not even necessarily talking about feature list though I'm glad you're conceding the feature list for android is larger than iOS. I'm talking about things like "iOS is more stable and smoother". First of all, iOS is not without its hiccups and occasional lag and issues (I've had folders lag, freezing at the lock screen, and icons go missing...). And secondly the disparity between the two OS' smoothness and stability is becoming a non factor. ICS is already amazingly stable and smooth; on par with iOS. And now it looks like jelly bean is going to take it further.

DodgeV83
Jun 28, 2012, 12:14 AM
I owned 3 Windows Mobile devices. And this post cannot be further from truth.

Hey, if I'm wrong I'd love to hear how :)

From what I see, widgets, custom ROMs, "true multitasking" custom launchers, custom keyboards, installing software directly from websites, fully browsable file-system, heck I even had Flash support and could rip YouTube videos directly to the memory card.

Nearly all of the Android features I've read about, seen, and heard people tout in arguments, I was doing all of it back in 2005.

bidwalj
Jun 28, 2012, 12:15 AM
Yeah, they don't have to change the UI much because they already include the ability to actually customize the UI, unlike Apple.

When you find something that works for most people, you stick to it, obviously, but you don't lock people into that grid of icons without giving your users the freedom to go past a grid of icons.

I'm talking about the core ui, not just how you skin it or change the home screen. Android 4.0 saw drastic changes from gingerbread. If google now sticks to this interference, android users will begin to complain that it's old and boring too eventually. Sure you can customize certain aspects of the ui, but you can't totally make it something else.

depths
Jun 28, 2012, 12:22 AM
I'm sure if Google posted official ROMs on their website, many more people would take advantage of this...now that I think about it, why doesn't Google do this? Do the carriers really have that much power?

That's exactly what google does do
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

and that's where you'd go to get updates from Google the moment they are released if you didn't want to wait for an OTA update.

The security of custom ROMS is another matter but being open source the code is readily available to scrutinise. I've never heard of anyones phone being compromised.

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 12:27 AM
I'm not even necessarily talking about feature list though I'm glad you're conceding the feature list for android is larger than iOS. I'm talking about things like "iOS is more stable and smoother". First of all, iOS is not without its hiccups and occasional lag and issues (I've had folders lag, freezing at the lock screen, and icons go missing...). And secondly the disparity between the two OS' smoothness and stability is becoming a non factor. ICS is already amazingly stable and smooth; on par with iOS. And now it looks like jelly bean is going to take it further.

Even an Android at parity doesn't provide safe haven. Google does not run a platform that is as stable as Windows or Mac OS X. The Web is important but notoriously difficult to gain control of as evidence by Google+ not really making a dent in Facebook's momentum.

Android's success came at the right time. Microsoft had lost its strategy for phones, RIM turned into a "push email" one trick wonder and and Apple was on a single carrier.

Today :

RIM's on its death bed
Microsoft has fought its way back
Apple is on more carriers than ever and has largely unified their mobile and desktop platform.

Android is FAR from a shoe-in to even remain in the race.

MattInOz
Jun 28, 2012, 12:30 AM
Wait Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean is only x.1 update?
That makes no sense at all, it's like a completely unrelated method of production.

Not holding out much hope for Jelly Bean. Only the baked goods Androids are ever any good :)

Calidude
Jun 28, 2012, 12:30 AM
If google now sticks to this interference, android users will begin to complain that it's old and boring too eventually.
No, they won't, because Android is modular. Don't like the launcher? Install a custom one. Don't like the setting page? Install a custom rom. Don't want to use the same SMS client? Download another one from the store. Want a more useful homescreen? Install some widgets or a custom homescreen.

This is what Apple is missing, simply because they KNOW their users are mostly helpless people who beg some kid at an Apple store to make their iPhone do something.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 28, 2012, 12:31 AM
Why not just make a Apple fanboy vs Android fanboy thread? Cause that's basically what the results are from all these versus threads. Can't have nobody state a reason why they like one or the other without some childish replies. And for the simple reason of this being an iPhone section, I gotta place most blame on the Android fanboys.

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 12:36 AM
http://gigaom.com/2012/06/27/google-vs-everyone/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=gigaom

Good article on the challenges that face these behemoth companies.

DodgeV83
Jun 28, 2012, 12:36 AM
That's exactly what google does do
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

and that's where you'd go to get updates from Google the moment they are released if you didn't want to wait for an OTA update.

The security of custom ROMS is another matter but being open source the code is readily available to scrutinise. I've never heard of anyones phone being compromised.

Very interesting! I read earlier someone was complaining that Verizon was delaying updates on the Nexus or something like that, guess not.

Yes, the code is available to look at, but unless you compile it yourself, there is no guaurantee that the binary you're downloading was from that source code.

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 12:41 AM
Why not just make a Apple fanboy vs Android fanboy thread? Cause that's basically what the results are from all these versus threads. Can't have nobody state a reason why they like one or the other without some childish replies. And for the simple reason of this being an iPhone section, I gotta place most blame on the Android fanboys.

I enjoy the threads (obviously). I don't have a problem with Android. In fact this Xmas I may just grab a Nexus 7".

However if someone tells me somethings better they have to be persuasive. I'm ok with someone telling me that Android is best for them. Because I reserve the right to do the same but discussing the relative platform benefits across larger groups of users lets us discuss what we like about our platform, what we dislike and more.

I learn by this exchange of ideas even if it appears to be heated discussion.

Calidude
Jun 28, 2012, 12:42 AM
Replacing the entire operating system, on the one technology device that holds nearly all of our personal information, with one posted from an unknown source in a message forum, is the epitome of insecurity.

These aren't unknown sources. These are developers with high traffic websites who release their source code, officially recognized and reviewed by major publications, with a huge paper trail headed to their bank accounts from donations. They aren't some shady guy lurking in some forum. They're people with a reputation to uphold that can easily be found and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Sure, I wouldn't trust some custom ROM that was cobbled by some kid on a forum that few people frequent, but that's where your intelligence comes in so you can avoid that.

And btw, the carriers have power because Google allowed them to have that power due to their business model, since getting this OS into as many people's hands is how they do business. This is why Apple only started on AT&T at first.

jeffe
Jun 28, 2012, 12:45 AM
I can think of plenty of reasons why someone would want both swype and voice dictation. Anyways, Android currently offers both and Jellybelly brings improvements which is demonstrated at the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOQPU7YxQ4Q

Nothing wrong with having choices IMO, whether it be in phone OS/ecosystems or in how you are able to use the device.

Like my swype scenario. Why would someone take the effort to learn a new way of using a keyboard over using the very power they've had for 95% of their life. Speech.

Technology is cool but in the end it must be relevant and even pragmatic for the masses to utilize it.

0m3ga
Jun 28, 2012, 12:47 AM

LOL. You believe the iPhone invented speech to text? Just about every phone with Android has had that feature for years. It is a nice feature on the iPhone, assuming you don't have any sort of accent and speak English. Otherwise, not so great on iphone.

Next thing I am gonna hear from you is how great iPhones notificaion center and turn by turn navigation is (as if Apple invented them for phones.) it is amazing that some people believe Apple invented everything and nothing can be better.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 28, 2012, 12:49 AM
I enjoy the threads (obviously). I don't have a problem with Android. In fact this Xmas I may just grab a Nexus 7".

However if someone tells me somethings better they have to be persuasive. I'm ok with someone telling me that Android is best for them. Because I reserve the right to do the same but discussing the relative platform benefits across larger groups of users lets us discuss what we like about our platform, what we dislike and more.

I learn by this exchange of ideas even if it appears to be heated discussion.

Yes I agree with that. But that's why I stated fanboys on both sides. They just can't accept anyone having a differ opinion. And I much as I like comparisons and opinionated discussions, the rampant wave of fanboys from both sides which leaves to nothing but trolling is not entertaining no more.

depths
Jun 28, 2012, 12:54 AM
Very interesting! I read earlier someone was complaining that Verizon was delaying updates on the Nexus or something like that, guess not.

Yes, the code is available to look at, but unless you compile it yourself, there is no guaurantee that the binary you're downloading was from that source code.

Verizon customers received a differant version of the Nexus (32gb instead of 16gb, larger battery and LTE) and unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, are dependant on the carrier to provide updates (I'm Australian and use an international version).

I'm not doubting downloading ROMS from XDA or Rootzwiki could potentially be dangerous but I've never heard of anyone having an issue. I'd guess that as long as you stick to trusted developers like the cyanogenmod team or AOKP you're pretty safe.

0m3ga
Jun 28, 2012, 12:56 AM

And there is no guarantee what you download from the app store isn't safe. How many apps do we hear about weekly that have to be taken down? How many Apple apps have sneaky ways of getting money off unsuspecting people?

You know how many times I have heard that someones iTunes account was hacked and money stolen out of their account because someone was puchasing hundreds of dollars worth of apps? Don't believe for one second, that Apple = security. At least with Android, you can check every app before you download it to see what it does with your info and OS.

Calidude
Jun 28, 2012, 01:13 AM
And there is no guarantee what you download from the app store isn't safe. How many apps do we hear about weekly that have to be taken down? How many Apple apps have sneaky ways of getting money off unsuspecting people?

You know how many times I have heard that someones iTunes account was hacked and money stolen out of their account because someone was puchasing hundreds of dollars worth of apps? Don't believe for one second, that Apple = security. At least with Android, you can check every app before you download it to see what it does with your info and OS.
Heck, you can't really trust Google OR Apple with your info these days, even.

You're completely right. At least with open source, people can actually choose to rid themselves of malware, both officlal and unofficial.

0m3ga
Jun 28, 2012, 01:21 AM
I think it's ironic that the poll above shows that about two thirds of people on a Mac board voted for Android 4.1 over iOS6.

Calidude
Jun 28, 2012, 01:22 AM
I think it's ironic that the poll above shows that more than two thirds of people on a Mac board voted for Android 4.1 over iOS6.
It's because Steve Jobs is gone so Apple's reality distortion field isn't as strong anymore, especially with the massive disappointment iOS6 was.

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 01:22 AM
I think it's ironic that the poll above shows that about two thirds of people on a Mac board voted for Android 4.1 over iOS6.

Where exactly is the irony?

0m3ga
Jun 28, 2012, 01:36 AM
It's because Steve Jobs is gone so Apple's reality distortion field isn't as strong anymore, especially with the massive disappointment iOS6 was.

True that. But I would never say anything bad about Jobs. Man was a visionary,hard worker and an amazing salesman. I respect him for what he gave the world and his impact on the tech industry.

----------

Where exactly is the irony?

GPS tracking shows it at 1 Infinite Loop.

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 01:45 AM

It hasn't shipped yet Calidude

AppleHater
Jun 28, 2012, 02:00 AM

Unlike Google, Apple doesn't give their minor updates a name. :P

faroZ06
Jun 28, 2012, 02:22 AM
And don't tell me you guys aren't jelly of these Jelly Bean notifications I'm about to install with the delta update that was just rolled out.

Sorry to disappoint you, but although you may find Android features useful for you, it is not useful for others here. We're not all the same.

----------

No, they won't, because Android is modular. Don't like the launcher? Install a custom one. Don't like the setting page? Install a custom rom. Don't want to use the same SMS client? Download another one from the store. Want a more useful homescreen? Install some widgets or a custom homescreen.

This is what Apple is missing, simply because they KNOW their users are mostly helpless people who beg some kid at an Apple store to make their iPhone do something.

Or maybe iPhone users don't want to install that stuff? I'd rather just not have to deal with it and go to Cydia for my riskier stuff, and so would the other ones. You don't see many iOS users on Android forums, but on the Apple forums...

Judging by your avatar, you're just here to insult Apple users. Why do you care so much about Apple if you don't use their products? Do you own a lot of GOOG or something, and you hope to at least convert one user so you can make $0.00001 extra? If you care so much about your phone, go use it without bugging everyone about it. Maybe you can bug your friends so they can have the same phone as you, fine.

mrsir2009
Jun 28, 2012, 02:30 AM
Not bad for a .X update.

Cod3rror
Jun 28, 2012, 03:32 AM

If this were 5.0, I would be disappointed, but nope, its 4.1, which fits the full changelog, which can be found here.

http://developer.android.com/about/versions/jelly-bean.html

Image (http://i.imgur.com/dNclZ.png)

That new notifications menu is awesome!

8a22a
Jun 28, 2012, 04:06 AM
Unlike Google, Apple doesn't give their minor updates a name. :P

And iOS 6 isn't called Custard Cream or Strawberry Donut. :rolleyes:

LostSoul80
Jun 28, 2012, 04:18 AM
It's awesome. I'd love to try it out.

ixodes
Jun 28, 2012, 04:22 AM
I like them both.

The iOS deal breaker for me is the tiny size. I wouldn't have known the difference had I not bought into the Galaxy S series just out of curiosity.

Two years ago I bought the S, then this year I bought the SII. While the 4.0" S was nice, the larger screen of the S2 was even better. Now that I've had such a great time with Android & all the customization that can be done I'm hooked.

I'll still use my iPhone 4S as part of my Mac Eco-system, and I will save money by avoiding the iPhone 5 or whatever they call it. Besides I've already pre-ordered a Galaxy S III. Samsung has really improved. The nicely designed body with it's comfortable rounded edges, reminds me of how comfortable my 3GS was.

Actually the SGS III is very comfortable. Due to it's great ergonomics it feels like a perfect fit in hand. Perhaps in the coming years Apple will abandon the flat slab sided form factor of the last two years and make something fresh.

----------

It's because Steve Jobs is gone so Apple's reality distortion field isn't as strong anymore.

Very true, its a new era at Apple.... Finally :)

MonkeySee....
Jun 28, 2012, 04:38 AM
LOL. You believe the iPhone invented speech to text? Just about every phone with Android has had that feature for years. It is a nice feature on the iPhone, assuming you don't have any sort of accent and speak English. Otherwise, not so great on iphone.

Next thing I am gonna hear from you is how great iPhones notificaion center and turn by turn navigation is (as if Apple invented them for phones.) it is amazing that some people believe Apple invented everything and nothing can be better.

What!? haha

I've never cared for voice dictation until I used it on my iPhone. Its incredibly accurate and I use it all the time.

Zamolxis
Jun 28, 2012, 04:39 AM
The reason is simple really. Since most people on Android are still on Gingerbread or less, it would be quite embarrasing for google to move to 5.0 when most people aren't even on 4.0. That's why. They had a lot of pressure from carriers and OEMs to make it "incremental".

As to comparisons between the two...if Apple could just give us an SBsettings solution to toggle wifi, brightness, bluetooth and 3G... I would have everything I need.

Calidude
Jun 28, 2012, 04:40 AM
Remind us where that Notification Center came from? :rolleyes:

MonkeySee....
Jun 28, 2012, 04:42 AM

Thats the problem right there. Is it important who does it first or who does it better?

(not saying Apple is doing stuff better)

depths
Jun 28, 2012, 04:44 AM
The reason is simple really. Since most people on Android are still on Gingerbread or less, it would be quite embarrasing for google to move to 5.0 when most people aren't even on 4.0. That's why. They had a lot of pressure from carriers and OEMs to make it "incremental".

Any links to back that up?

Here's a nice summary of todays Google I/O announcements regarding JB for iPhone users who don't follow Android blogs.

via androidpolice.com
http://bitly.com/KOaey6

ggmissmolly
Jun 28, 2012, 04:54 AM
I'd say it's another Google asteroid to be blasted into bits by fragmented manufacturers where the only hardware support is the carriers and software updates are unheard of after you walk out of the carrier store.

The Microsoft-everybody-uses-it-even-the lowest-quality-hardware-providers is doomed to give every Google release a black eye eventually.

The Apple model of controlling hardware and software, updating regularly, actually earning a profit, and using part of the profit to support customers will win every time. Android devices are in a dog eat dog race to be the cheapest..and that makes them the worst possible choices for users. Cheap now , cheap later!

depths
Jun 28, 2012, 05:00 AM
Only if the company that gets there first is granted a patent. We've seen how that plays out.

Calidude
Jun 28, 2012, 05:10 AM
Thats the problem right there. Is it important who does it first or who does it better?

(not saying Apple is doing stuff better)
Actually the main problem is that because Apple made the first touchscreen phone and that Apple is Apple, it's impossible, literally impossible for a competitor to outshine the iPhone according to some people here.

Calidude
Jun 28, 2012, 05:15 AM
The Apple model of controlling hardware and software, updating regularly, actually earning a profit, and using part of the profit to support customers will win every time.
I don't disagree with this at all, but it's not ever going to affect people who are technically inclined. They will always want to do more with their phone than what Apple allows, and they will always be a force not to be reckoned with.

depths
Jun 28, 2012, 05:23 AM
because Apple made the first touchscreen phone

Didn't Palm make the first touchscreen phone?

Technarchy
Jun 28, 2012, 05:28 AM
So not having a laggy ass UI is now a feature? Who knew?

And here I thought that is the way its supposed to be.

japasneezemonk
Jun 28, 2012, 05:30 AM
Jelly bean looks cool but it's not for me, I actually think it's too busy. It reminds me of those collages High school kids make when they are starting out in Art 101. As far as customization goes, I'm the type of person that once something works I leave it alone. I've heard many people complain about iOS being boring and overly simplistic but that's actually what I like. However, I am interested in the Nexus 7 tablet because of its size. Since this is a tablet, as long as I can get netflix, kindle, instapaper, evernote, log me in, dropbox, audible, and a few other must have apps I'll be happy. If there was one thing holding me back it's the fact that i'm so invested in iOS and OSX. My computers, apple tvs, ipad, iphone, even my Airport express all work flawlessly together. Once you use airprint it's hard to go back to not printing pdf's or baseball game tickets directly from your iphone or ipad.

roadbloc
Jun 28, 2012, 05:31 AM
Underwhelmed really.

I assume you were vastly underwhelmed by iOS 6 then?

Calidude
Jun 28, 2012, 06:01 AM
If only his bias were that subtle:

iOS 6 is pretty damn amazing.

No one features stands out but when you take the collective features and improved efficiency in implementing features.

surjavarman
Jun 28, 2012, 06:06 AM

You nailed it. I think google is a lot more secure than ios. But if I say that people will think I am retarded

MonkeySee....
Jun 28, 2012, 06:21 AM
You nailed it. I think google is a lot more secure than ios. But if I say that people will think I am retarded

Correct. :D

roadbloc
Jun 28, 2012, 06:21 AM
If only his bias were that subtle:

Lol. So basically he is amazed by an upgrade which adds a few cool things to features that we had before (many people arguing that we should have already had the stuff new in iOS 6 in iOS 5 or even 4), but a large upgrade such as Jelly Bean with a dramatic UI change and a shed load of new features (however useful or pointless) and he is underwhelmed.

Just... :rolleyes:. I'm not a fan of Android at all but I admit that Jelly Bean is a better upgrade for Android users than iOS 6 is for iDevice users.

Technarchy
Jun 28, 2012, 06:25 AM
Actually the main problem is that because Apple made the first touchscreen phone and that Apple is Apple, it's impossible, literally impossible for a competitor to outshine the iPhone according to some people here.

How many phones before the iphone featured Color, capacitive, multitouch displays?

How many do we have after the iPhone?

MonkeySee....
Jun 28, 2012, 06:29 AM
Lol. So basically he is amazed by an upgrade which adds a few cool things to features that we had before (many people arguing that we should have already had the stuff new in iOS 6 in iOS 5 or even 4), but a large upgrade such as Jelly Bean with a dramatic UI change and a shed load of new features (however useful or pointless) and he is underwhelmed.

Just... :rolleyes:. I'm not a fan of Android at all but I admit that Jelly Bean is a better upgrade for Android users than iOS 6 is for iDevice users.

I suggest people need to manage their expectations then.

I'm looking forward to the Maps App and the increased Siri integration. This alone is a big update on the way I use my phone.

Leedsnyc
Jun 28, 2012, 06:36 AM
That new notifications menu is awesome!

I agree and quite liked the social stream service. Not sure if Apple have any plans to do that with AirPlay via Apple TV?

MythicFrost
Jun 28, 2012, 07:03 AM
There's no way iOS 6 should be "iOS 5.2"... It's a full release, just like any other.

Zamolxis
Jun 28, 2012, 07:07 AM

Here's a nice summary of todays Google I/O announcements regarding JB for iPhone users who don't follow Android blogs.

via androidpolice.com
There were a few stories about that a month or two ago leading up to Google IO plus it seems quite logical to me. I can't be bothered to find an actual link right now. Don't get me wrong, it's not a knock on them.

maflynn
Jun 28, 2012, 07:12 AM
ICS and Jelly Bean which builds on the ICS really looks solid. I'm tempted to go back to android, if only google would cut the price of their nexus phone. 350 is a nice price for contract free unsubsidized phone but its still outside of my budget ;)

ericrwalker
Jun 28, 2012, 07:19 AM
can't really see myself going back to ios permanently, especially with the big disappointment that iOS 6 was.

Yeah, it's been a huge disappointment, so far most people haven't upgraded because it's such a terrible upgrade. :rolleyes: Oh wait, it hasn't been released yet, my bad.

Calidude
Jun 28, 2012, 07:22 AM
There's no way iOS 6 should be "iOS 5.2"... It's a full release, just like any other.
Yikes. Standards are really going down among iOS users these days...

I also love when statements like this coincide with a nice bright Apple avatar.

asr10 user
Jun 28, 2012, 07:23 AM
Been pro iOS and very anti Android for about 2 years. But recently got an ICS tablet that runs very good and am very impressed. I'll wait until the specs of the iPhone 5, but unless its as sexy as when I first saw the iPhone 4, Apple will lose me.

Its like when I was pro Blackberry and hated Apple because iOS 1.0 was so bad, then iOS4 came out and it was awesome. Now JB 4.1 looks awesome and iOS5 looks very outdated.

Widgets and the 'share to app' have made me a believer.

Dangerous Theory
Jun 28, 2012, 07:24 AM
Really liking the list of features for 4.1. The fluidity of UI is what I'm most looking forward to - it's great on the S3 but it still suffers sometimes, and browser scrolling is certainly not up to par with iOS. New keyboard, notifications, and the resizable widgets sound great too.

My only concern is how long until Samsung will release it.

Stonefly
Jun 28, 2012, 07:27 AM

via androidpolice.com

http://news.cnet.com/8301-33620_3-57449588-278/android-updates-embarrassing-but-do-users-notice/

sk1wbw
Jun 28, 2012, 07:28 AM
I watched the video of Jelly Bean at CNET. Looks like Google is copying webOS now? Slide a widget or a window up out of the top of the screen to delete it?

Zaft
Jun 28, 2012, 07:28 AM

Everyone copies from eachother. Why dont you remind us where android comes from? it would be a blackberry style OS if it wasent for the iphone coming out.

The Phazer
Jun 28, 2012, 07:30 AM

iOS 6 should be 5.2

Pretty much this. Jelly Bean is fairly underwhelming for an update. But at least Google isn't trying to claim it's an X.0.

Phazer

depths
Jun 28, 2012, 07:36 AM
Sorry, It was the last portion of the quote that I was interested in hearing more about.

re. Google choosing a point release
They had a lot of pressure from carriers and OEMs to make it "incremental".

MythicFrost
Jun 28, 2012, 07:37 AM

I love it when someone -- usually very biased "haters" or "fanboys" -- reply with insulting posts as soon as someone else disagrees with them.

And for the record I like Android 4.0/4.1 a lot, and Windows Phone 8. I'm no fanboy, as you're clearly implying.

There's no "drop in standards", I've been running iOS 6 on my 4S and iPad 3 since it was first released, give or take a day, and it's a solid update much like iOS 5 and iOS 4 were.

It seems to me you make the mistake of comparing iOS updates to Android updates -- whilst improvements will be made, and new features will be added, iOS will always look as it does, as Apple isn't trying to woo the tech community with new UIs or designs, rather they're to maintain a consistent and familiar UI so that it's as simple as possible to use for everyone. And they're also trying to unify features between OS X and iOS, which is great too. Mountain Lion and iOS 6 will work very well together.

Zaft
Jun 28, 2012, 07:38 AM

and you are on the opposite side, look at your avatar..:confused::confused:

MonkeySee....
Jun 28, 2012, 07:46 AM
I love it when someone -- usually very biased "haters" or "fanboys" -- reply with insulting posts as soon as someone else disagrees with them.

And for the record I like Android 4.0/4.1 a lot, and Windows Phone 8. I'm no fanboy, as you're clearly implying.

There's no "drop in standards", I've been running iOS 6 on my 4S and iPad 3 since it was first released, give or take a day, and it's a solid update much like iOS 5 and iOS 4 were.

It seems to me you make the mistake of comparing iOS updates to Android updates -- whilst improvements will be made, and new features will be added, iOS will always look as it does, as Apple isn't trying to woo the tech community with new UIs or designs, rather they're to maintain a consistent and familiar UI so that it's as simple as possible to use for everyone. And they're also trying to unify features between OS X and iOS, which is great too. Mountain Lion and iOS 6 will work very well together.

Well said

nomik2
Jun 28, 2012, 08:04 AM
Jelly Bean has offline Google Maps, that one feature alone is a killer for me.

nefan65
Jun 28, 2012, 08:14 AM

Says the guy with the bright SJ/Kool-Aid avatar.

Calidude
Jun 28, 2012, 08:15 AM
So basically, nobody in this entire forum can call themselves a tech enthusiast because they use a phone that even a small child or very old senior citizen with no tech knowledge can use.

Is that what you're getting at?

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 08:18 AM
Jelly bean looks cool but it's not for me, I actually think it's too busy. It reminds me of those collages High school kids make when they are starting out in Art 101. As far as customization goes, I'm the type of person that once something works I leave it alone. I've heard many people complain about iOS being boring and overly simplistic but that's actually what I like. However,

Agreed. This is why I laugh every time someone says "Android has more features". Of course it does! Apple's ethos is one of minimalism. That said though at $199 the Nexus 7 isn't bad at all and if there's not a smaller iPad coming this fall i'll grab it as an adjunct to my iPad 2.

Yup

Until I watched the WWDC videos and realized how extensive the non user facing features are going to be. Even with NDA there are very few developers that aren't happy with the changes coming.

Dramatic UI change. LOL You don't get it. The OS should get the hell out of the way and let me run the cool apps that I want to. Instead of this we got Google delivering another way to data mine us (Google Now)

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/06/android-getting-crushed-by-ios-in-app-retention

Like I said...iOS is a better platform for developers and iOS 6 will not be understandable to you unless you look at it through the lens of a developer.

diamond.g
Jun 28, 2012, 08:28 AM

Sadly once a phone manufacturer changes the ROM it is out of Googles hands. that is why folks recommend getting the (international) Google phones. They will get their updates straight from Google.

macingman
Jun 28, 2012, 08:34 AM
I must admit I do like jelly beans all sweet and sugary.

nfl46
Jun 28, 2012, 08:39 AM
Am I the only one who wishes Apple did NICE upgrades for their 5.x updates, like Android. I can only imagine how Android 5.0 will look. Probably will be amazing.

Hell, Android 4.x updates looks sort of like Apple full 5.0, 6.0 updates. :(

Not going to lie, if it wasn't for Apple bringing all their systems together (Macbook, iPad and iPhone), I would fully ditch the iPhone.

Anyway, I voted Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean). You have to have this on a Nexus to experience it.

onthecouchagain
Jun 28, 2012, 08:40 AM
Even an Android at parity doesn't provide safe haven. Google does not run a platform that is as stable as Windows or Mac OS X. The Web is important but notoriously difficult to gain control of as evidence by Google+ not really making a dent in Facebook's momentum.

Android's success came at the right time. Microsoft had lost its strategy for phones, RIM turned into a "push email" one trick wonder and and Apple was on a single carrier.

Today :

RIM's on its death bed
Apple is on more carriers than ever and has largely unified their mobile and desktop platform.

... okay.

It's clear you've decided to change the subject because you have no case against the fact that Android (ICS/JB) is closing the gap -- some would argue already on par -- with iOS' stability and smoothness.

As a dedicated iOS user, not sure why that bothers you.

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 08:46 AM
... okay.

It's clear you've decided to change the subject because you have no case against the fact that Android (ICS/JB) is closing the gap -- some would argue already on par -- with iOS' stability and smoothness.

What subject have I changed? I've been fairly clear.

OS X and iOS have never been more unified at a framework level before.

iCloud "is" a big deal

iOS 6 is a developer laden release which means a bunch of people here don't understand it.

iOS graphic pipeline is far superior to Android. A quad core tablet with big graphics just to get the UI running smoothly? Seriously?

How are people going to talk about Android catching up when they aren't cognizant of where Apple is today in iOS 6?

onthecouchagain
Jun 28, 2012, 09:05 AM

As I said earlier, it's gotten to a point where you can really tell whether people have given both platforms a fair chance and usage. People who have will talk very candidly about both platform's strengths and weaknesses. This is known as intellectual honesty, and whenever someone doesn't uphold to this, and clearly interested in only showing and defending their bias, the conversation is essentially over.

Eventually, you just grow to ignore the likes of Nuckinfutz, Techarchy and ilk.

----------

To elaborate on my point, it just seems to me Android users are far more honest about Android's shortcomings than iOS users are about iOS' shortcomings. How many times have we heard "it just works" as an argument? Or when Samsung's Galaxy SIII is discussed, that S-Voice is a copy of Siri, while ignoring all the novel features that if Apple introduced, they'd be claiming Apple is once again pushing the frontier of innovation? And if Apple should do any copying, ah, then they're just "adopting industry standards."

These disingenuous conversations happen here all the time.

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 09:10 AM
As I said earlier, it's gotten to a point where you can really tell whether people have given both platforms a fair chance and usage. People who have will talk very candidly about both platform's strengths and weaknesses. This is known as intellectual honesty, and whenever someone doesn't uphold to this, and clearly interested in only showing and defending their bias, the conversation is essentially over.

Ignore away. I'm simply not going to come onto Macrumors and sit around and let people slag my phone of choice. I'm not bashing Android ...I just don't think it's as good as advertised.

In the end if I'm wrong a bunch of people would descend and rip my posts apart in a persuasive manner and backed with technicals. That's hasn't happened. What't I've got is

"You're a fanboy" "You're drinking the koolaid"

In the end it simply comes down to the mobile platforms mirroring their desktop counterparts.

Android, being Linux based, appeals to those that like to tweak.
iOS appeals to those that like a seamless interface and great design.

Calidude
Jun 28, 2012, 09:11 AM
it just seems to me Android users are far more honest about Android's shortcomings than iOS users are about iOS' shortcomings.
This is absolutely 100% true. I have yet to meet an Android user who doesn't admit that Android has shortcomings.

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 09:15 AM
This is absolutely 100% true. I have yet to meet an Android user who doesn't admit that Android has shortcomings.

There are plenty of people here that are more than happy to share their feelings on iOS shortcomings.

I've spoken about the lack of an easy way to share files or the clunky app store that yanks users out after every purchase.

This is why i'm happy to see both Android and iOS slow down a bit with these releases and polish a bit more.

MonkeySee....
Jun 28, 2012, 09:15 AM

----------

To elaborate on my point, it just seems to me Android users are far more honest about Android's shortcomings than iOS users are about iOS' shortcomings. How many times have we heard "it just works" as an argument? Or when Samsung's Galaxy SIII is discussed, that S-Voice is a copy of Siri, while ignoring all the novel features that if Apple introduced, they'd be claiming Apple is once again pushing the frontier of innovation? And if Apple should do any copying, ah, then they're just "adopting industry standards."

These disingenuous conversations happen here all the time.

I always wonder why people hate on the iPhone on an Apple site. Surely it would be more productive to hate on Android forum??

AustinIllini
Jun 28, 2012, 09:22 AM
... okay.

I'm actually concerned that the gap has closed. I don't know that ICS is leaps and bounds ahead of iOS, but they are clearly equals at this point. I just do not know how long (i'm sure it's a long time) Apple can hold out being trendy without serious innovation.

I have said, however, in previous threads, that I will buy the next gen iPhone so long as it is LTE compatible. We are finally to the point where anything short of LTE is unacceptable.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 28, 2012, 09:34 AM
I never thought I'd see the day where on the iPhone section of MacRumors, majority of people in a poll prefer Android to iOS...

So my question to all the androids. Why do you waste your time here? Are you on some sort of a quest to prove to iPhone users that Androids are better? That seems kinda sad...

onthecouchagain
Jun 28, 2012, 09:41 AM
I always wonder why people hate on the iPhone on an Apple site. Surely it would be more productive to hate on Android forum??

Understandable point. I was a former 4 and 4S user, and though I've since switched to the Galaxy Nexus and have said before that the ship is sailing for me and iOS/iPhone, I also admit that Apple is still on my radar (I'm an iPad and Mac user also, if that matters any). I'm as eager to see what Apple unveils this Fall for their next-gen iPhone as anyone, and still enjoy talking iPhone. I don't hate the iPhone (far from it).

I never thought I'd see the day where on the iPhone section of MacRumors, majority of people in a poll prefer Android to iOS...

So my question to all the androids. Why do you waste your time here? Are you on some sort of a quest to prove to iPhone users that Androids are better? That seems kinda sad...

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 09:42 AM
I'm actually concerned that the gap has closed. I don't know that ICS is leaps and bounds ahead of iOS, but they are clearly equals at this point. I just do not know how long (i'm sure it's a long time) Apple can hold out being trendy without serious innovation.

I have said, however, in previous threads, that I will buy the next gen iPhone so long as it is LTE compatible. We are finally to the point where anything short of LTE is unacceptable.

LTE for the win! iOS 6.0 has innovation in it but it's not something that is easy to package and discuss with the rank and file user.

iOS is a much stronger media platform and changes to Game Kit, OpenGL/OpenCL have not let me down. Expect games to run better on iOS with lesser processing power due to some nice updates.

Or better yet can we get some more solid reasons other than

Widgets! Toggles!

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 28, 2012, 09:43 AM

But I hear Android users all say all the time "That's being worked on" , "Wait til next update", "use a custom rom".

There's plenty shortcomings about Android's history and some still exist. But yet most Android users seem willing to wait it out or take a proactive approach until it get fixed. When iPhone users do the same concerning iOS, they're immediately called fanboy, sheep, and etc. Kind of a double standard. ;)

onthecouchagain
Jun 28, 2012, 09:51 AM
To me, the most exciting thing about JB is the Swiftkey-like keyboard upgrades. That's going to be nuts.

I'm still disappointed, and amazed that Apple didn't announce any dramatic upgrades to the iOS keyboard. It is outdated, and fails to keep up with fast thumbing. There are constantly missed keys, which lead to typos, which lead to incorrect auto corrections. And there are a plethora of examples of this from the web via all those "Damn you iPhone Auto Correction" type sites; the iOS keyboard gave birth to this internet phenomenon.

This is especially poignant when dealing with work related email. Speaking of which, none too crazy about iOS Mail either. It's so cumbersome that emails aren't fully threaded.

nefan65
Jun 28, 2012, 09:53 AM

That's a load of bunk. Maybe not for you, but for me and others it is.

Also, check out some other forums [Engadget is a good one], and see how "honest" those Android proponents are about the shortcomings of the OS. :cool:

onthecouchagain
Jun 28, 2012, 09:54 AM
But I hear Android users all say all the time "That's being worked on" , "Wait til next update", "use a custom rom".

There's plenty shortcomings about Android's history and some still exist. But yet most Android users seem willing to wait it out or take a proactive approach until it get fixed. When iPhone users do the same concerning iOS, they're immediately called fanboy, sheep, and etc. Kind of a double standard. ;)

Good point, and certainly there are intellectually honest iOS users, but to clarify, I'm talking about the ilk who only respond with "it just works!" or "the iPhone is perfect!". They exist on the Android side, for sure, but you just don't hear that sort of thing as frequently or fervently. I, myself, have posted on this very forum my disappointments with my Galaxy Nexus and ICS in a thread discussing Android (it'll be pretty far back if anyone feels like digging through my post history). And before ICS, I was an even harsher critic of Android (the GB keyboard was horrendous).

Plus, the level of misunderstanding and obfuscation of Android is revealing of people's ignorance of the platform. Like I said earlier, it's getting to a point where it's become pretty obvious who has used both platforms fairly.

Zamolxis
Jun 28, 2012, 10:02 AM
Good point, and certainly there are intellectually honest iOS users, but to clarify, I'm talking about the ilk who only respond with "it just works!" or "the iPhone is perfect!". They exist on the Android side, for sure, but you just don't hear that sort of thing as frequently or fervently. I, myself, have posted on this very forum my disappointments with my Galaxy Nexus and ICS in a thread discussing Android (it'll be pretty far back if anyone feels like digging through my post history). And before ICS, I was an even harsher critic of Android (the GB keyboard was horrendous).

Plus, the level of misunderstanding and obfuscation of Android is revealing of people's ignorance of the platform. Like I said earlier, it's getting to a point where it's become pretty obvious who has used both platforms fairly.

because it doesn't "just work"... you have to tweak the hell out of it and remove a lot of crapware...

onthecouchagain
Jun 28, 2012, 10:08 AM
And again, I point to the Samsung Galaxy SIII as a prime example of this. The vast majority of Apple tech sites and fans could only talk about how S-Voice is a copy of Siri, which it is. But they failed to acknowledge or decided to ignore novel features like Smart Stay, Direct Dial via proximity sensor, wireless charging, pop out video, tilt to scroll, gestures, etc. -- all of which are either new to smartphones, or at the very least, not copied from Apple.

Copying goes both ways, and I don't care who copies who. It just means things are getting better for each respective platform. But credit should be given where it's due (I would never deny the impact and influence of the iPhone on the industry). And if Apple introduced these features? Forgetaboutit. Everyone would be calling them innovators or pushing the frontier again. But if Samsung does it? It gets completely ignored, and not just that, but the one thing that they did copy gets focused on so much.

----------

because it doesn't "just work"... you have to tweak the hell out of it and remove a lot of crapware...

That's fair. Indeed, given the plethora of devices that run Android, and given the huge range of markets Android devices are targeting, it's true one can get an incredibly poor Android device. This is where research helps. It's just the nature of the beast.

Personally, I'd never get anything outside the Nexus line.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 28, 2012, 10:12 AM
Understandable point. I was a former 4 and 4S user, and though I've since switched to the Galaxy Nexus and have said before that the ship is sailing for me and iOS/iPhone...

Ok, now you have illuminated another type of smartphone user that has always baffled me, and you are far from the only one so nothing personal. You have owned (at least) 3 different smartphones in less than 2 years. I've noticed that trend here where many people get a new phone about every 6-8 months. Many times people go back to their old phone after a 6 month hiatus.

So I wonder both how and why? So first how? I guess you just always buy phones off contract or with early upgrade prices? So then each phone costs in the $400-$600 range. Do you just not care about friviously wasting your money (regardless of how much you have)? And secondly why? Do you really get so bored by your phone after a few months? That would be like switching computers every 8 months. I feel like these people have smartphone ADD.

onthecouchagain
Jun 28, 2012, 10:41 AM
Ok, now you have illuminated another type of smartphone user that has always baffled me, and you are far from the only one so nothing personal. You have owned (at least) 3 different smartphones in less than 2 years. I've noticed that trend here where many people get a new phone about every 6-8 months. Many times people go back to their old phone after a 6 month hiatus.

So I wonder both how and why? So first how? I guess you just always buy phones off contract or with early upgrade prices? So then each phone costs in the $400-$600 range. Do you just not care about friviously wasting your money (regardless of how much you have)? And secondly why? Do you really get so bored by your phone after a few months? That would be like switching computers every 8 months. I feel like these people have smartphone ADD.

Baffling, isn't it, doctor?
http://ih2.redbubble.net/image.10096080.4575/fc,220x200,white.jpg

mbell1975
Jun 28, 2012, 10:41 AM

You don't get it do you? Look at the join date of these people and you will see many have been here for years. These aren't Android fans coming here to cause trouble, they are former iPhone users who realized there are better phones out there and switched over.

Technarchy
Jun 28, 2012, 10:47 AM
You don't get it do you? Look at the join date of these people and you will see many have been here for years. These aren't Android fans coming here to cause trouble, they are former iPhone users who realized there are better phones out there and switched over.

Trolls are trolls

mbell1975
Jun 28, 2012, 10:51 AM
Trolls are trolls

And fanboys are fanboys...

0m3ga
Jun 28, 2012, 10:54 AM

Bingo. Some of us woke up and realized there was a better option outside of Apples control.
*que Apple's 1984 commercial here*

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 10:58 AM
I'm all for personal choice.

If Apple doesn't give you what you want then don't buy their product[s].

VulchR
Jun 28, 2012, 11:01 AM

@ Calidude:

This is the kind of insulting, belittling crap that makes wish that Android threads be put into a separate forum. The simple fact is that you have no idea what experience and knowledge Apple fans have. Instead, you rely on a stereotype that inflates your own sense of self-worth.

I am very computer literate, having used and programmed computers since the days of punch cards. I use Apple products for one reason only: They get the job done elegantly and reliably. You believe Android products do the same. That's fine. Thanks for sharing.

onthecouchagain
Jun 28, 2012, 11:05 AM
This is the kind of insulting, belittling crap that makes wish that Android threads be put into a separate forum. The simple fact is that you have no idea what experience and knowledge Apple fans have. Instead, you rely on a stereotype that inflates your own sense of self-worth.

I am very computer literate, having used and programmed computers since the days of punch cards. I use Apple products for one reason only: They get the job done elegantly and reliably. You believe Android products do the same. That's fine. Thanks for sharing.

You have a point, and I see no reason to belittle others, but I also don't hear anything terribly inaccurate about Calidude's post regarding most iPhone users. Some people even at this forum have stated that Apple Maps is better than Google Maps because their grandparents will actually know how to use it (not quoting for the strength of the argument, of course). It's no secret that the iPhone's entire philosophy is to appeal to all users, be they computer savvy or not. It's obviously a strategy that has reaped success.

----------

Engadget's JB review: http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/28/android-4-1-jelly-bean-review-a-look-at-whats-changed-in-googl/

"In our testing, an already zippy phone simply felt perfectly smooth. Buttery, even. Chrome loaded in an instant. Toggling voice search didn't result in a single pause. Swiping between photos was shockingly brisk. We could go on, but it's really simple: Android is finally at a place where it feels completely buttoned-up from a silkiness standpoint."

mbell1975
Jun 28, 2012, 11:06 AM

Why wouldn't you want to use an open source platform then? Just curious. If I had programming skills, I would learn Android and build my own custom ROM to my own needs. Would be awesome.

mrfrosty
Jun 28, 2012, 11:12 AM
People have been describing IOS as buttery smooth......really ?

I'm sure 'droid phones have their problems too but if i buy from Apple i pay a premium to get something of 'quality'.........and right now they miss quality.For that reason i'm strongly considering an S3, it's a real shame but i feel apple are 'blowing it'.......and not in a good way.

One example. itunes match....amazing for me in theory, just what i need....but even with all data connections disabled on the phone, working locally with less than 50 songs it can take 30 seconds to open the music app......sometimes 60 seconds pauses to scroll around of course i have been through all the potential fixes...I just think the implementation of something quite simple is garbage.

I havn't bought an S3 yet though..... :-)

VulchR
Jun 28, 2012, 11:15 AM
.... It's no secret that the iPhone's entire philosophy is to appeal to all users, be they computer savvy or not. It's obviously a strategy that has reaped success.

Hence my use of the word 'elegant'. No mobile OS is perfect. iOS has its rough edges. Android certainly does as well. However, my main point is to dismiss personal preference for Apple products as due to ignorance, to a fad, or to a cult of SJ personality – as often appears in iOS/Android threads – is silly and rude. The MR guides to debates in the forums specifically states that 'fanboy' should not be used. And yet how many times do we see this in the Android threads?

As I have stated many times before, I believe the iOS-versus-other-OS threads should be in their own sub-forum. At least then any trolls would have a smaller audience. Who knows - moving this type of thread to its own sub-forum might reduce the smack-talk.

Why wouldn't you want to use an open source platform then? Just curious. If I had programming skills, I would learn Android and build my own custom ROM to my own needs. Would be awesome.

I guess it's because I believe that iOS a better alternative for me. I do keep track of what is available on Android (and somewhat less so from Microsoft's mobile OS), and if one day it looks better to me I'll switch. If I ever switch to Android, however, I hope I would have the sense not to insult the people who remain with iOS, and particularly not in MR.

MonkeySee....
Jun 28, 2012, 11:20 AM
People have been describing IOS as buttery smooth......really ?

I'm sure 'droid phones have their problems too but if i buy from Apple i pay a premium to get something of 'quality'.........and right now they miss quality.For that reason i'm strongly considering an S3, it's a real shame but i feel apple are 'blowing it'.......and not in a good way.

One example. itunes match....amazing for me in theory, just what i need....but even with all data connections disabled on the phone, working locally with less than 50 songs it can take 30 seconds to open the music app......sometimes 60 seconds pauses to scroll around of course i have been through all the potential fixes...I just think the implementation of something quite simple is garbage.

I havn't bought an S3 yet though..... :-)

I have iTunes Match and i Honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Meanee
Jun 28, 2012, 11:22 AM
@ Calidude:

There's a bit of truth there, you have to agree. Apple treats their customers as a cattle. They point where to go, and whip the ones who refuse to.

Steve Jobs famously said that "users don't know what they want" so Apple took it upon themselves to dictate everything about the phone. I understand that, and I can see why some people are ok with it. But also, they locked it up tight, not giving people options.

For example, with Android, it has capability for widgets. Not your cup of tea? Don't use them. You are ok with your default keyboard? Do not use Swype. But, there's an option to do it if you want to. While with iPhone, you get same thing that you saw in 2008. With a small change of being able to use a different background and improved notification. And maybe this sort of consistency is good for some people, but I honestly cannot imagine myself using it.

At the end, Apple did take a position similar to North Korea's leadership. They are called "Democratic People's Republic," making it look like people actually have a say in things, but at the end, leadership has ultimate authority how people work, live, eat and whatever else. Apple pushed the point that average user is too stupid to think on his own and must be guided by them.

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 11:22 AM
I have iTunes Match and i Honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Yes that kind of slowdown is not normal for iTM. I can open up my Music app and start playing music pretty fast.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 28, 2012, 11:25 AM
There's a bit of truth there, you have to agree. Apple treats their customers as a cattle. They point where to go, and whip the ones who refuse to.

Steve Jobs famously said that "users don't know what they want" so Apple took it upon themselves to dictate everything about the phone. I understand that, and I can see why some people are ok with it. But also, they locked it up tight, not giving people options.

For example, with Android, it has capability for widgets. Not your cup of tea? Don't use them. You are ok with your default keyboard? Do not use Swype. But, there's an option to do it if you want to. While with iPhone, you get same thing that you saw in 2008. With a small change of being able to use a different background and improved notification. And maybe this sort of consistency is good for some people, but I honestly cannot imagine myself using it.

At the end, Apple did take a position similar to North Korea's leadership. They are called "Democratic People's Republic," making it look like people actually have a say in things, but at the end, leadership has ultimate authority how people work, live, eat and whatever else. Apple pushed the point that average user is too stupid to think on his own and must be guided by them.

REALLY???? Didn't know phone politics were that serious. :eek:

VulchR
Jun 28, 2012, 11:30 AM
...Apple pushed the point that average user is too stupid to think on his own and must be guided by them.

And of course you have evidence about the intelligence and background of the average iOS user... or have you completely missed the point of my post about stereotyping Apple users? Could it be that intelligent, informed people might chose iOS because there are advantages to using it that for their purposes outweigh the advantages of Android?

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 11:32 AM

If you add a feature to your OS/app that can be turned off/on then you must add that UI element to manage the feature. This isn't bad if you have just a few items to toggle but can become an unruly mess if you add too many features.

Apple's pretty much made their choice. They are not making the OS the focus they are making the apps a focus. iOS 6 is about giving developers more power to create great apps. This ideology isn't going to appeal to everyone but it's the road that Apple is walking down.

batting1000
Jun 28, 2012, 11:43 AM
I see iOS as a more "professional" and robust operating system that's simple to use and looks great, while Android is more laid back and a "do what you want" kinda thing.

Sir Ruben
Jun 28, 2012, 11:43 AM
LOL I love the way Android users come to this forum and say things like "Apple iSheep eat up anything Apple gives them" and "iSheep are so blind!"

Few points:

1) You have come to an Apple specific forum, did you not expect there to be many Apple fans here?

2) Many iPhone users are not even remotely interested in Android, and because of this you get angry when they show no interest and say "meh I'll stick with my iPhone thanks" - again you have chosen to come to an Apple specific forum.

3) The classic fandroid line of "many iPhone users wouldn't be able to cope with Android because its customisable and not simple like iOS" - What a load of rubbish lol. I have been a technician for a major ISP for 11 years. I have tried both Android and iOS and prefer iOS. Its simple and it works well. My days of customising the cr@p out of an OS were over back in the Windows 98/XP days. As someone who has spent much of his working life fixing problems I appreciate Apple's take on its products.

Come to our Apple specific forum and willy wave your latest quad core phablet if you really must. Just don't get all bitchy when people here disagree with you in favour of a simple smooth OS that gets the job done. Not everyone is a customiser nerd who spends his days tinkering with a wonky flakey OS on his phone ;)

dgree03
Jun 28, 2012, 11:48 AM

Yes the fact that I still cannot do Ipsec VPN NOR can I group message with people and have them all stay in ONE THREAD!!

Once google fixes these, there is absolutely nothing else I would have Android change!

chambone
Jun 28, 2012, 12:13 PM
Apple has many disciplines that they are strong in that come from being a platform vendor for desktops. Look at Microsoft's phones...they show the same prowess in handling graphics and GPU compute resources.
That's because MS and Apple have been optimizing operating systems for battery powered devices for more than two decades, while Google is really just getting started. Hence Androids poor battery life and often laggy interface.

----------

Even gingerbread or ios4 have more features than I'll ever use, I don't need the kitchen sink. I just want my phone to give me 6 hours of screen time and a couple of days stby. Only Android phones the size of a dvd case achieve that, so ios 6 it is. At least for now. Android finally getting 'buttery smooth' -which I will believe when I see it- is probably going to hurt battery life significantly. So let's not get overly ecstatic before we get our hands on it, shall we?

And don't get me started on that 90's wannabe hacker white on black text. Jeez.

----------

LOL I love the way Android users come to this forum and say things like "Apple iSheep eat up anything Apple gives them" and "iSheep are so blind!"

While blindly trusting a company like Google :rolleyes:

Amazing indeed.

virginblue4
Jun 28, 2012, 12:20 PM
I haven't read through all 7 pages, but I do have 1 thing to say.

Google have announced 'Project Butter', a project to sort out lag. I think this says it all.

Apple would have called this bug fixes and enhancements, yet Google go and create a whole project for something that Apple had sorted from day 1.

People say that there wasn't much announced with iOS 6 (which is untrue) but the same can be said for Jelly Bean. This 'Project Butter' crap just makes it look like they are bringing out more than they actually are.

onthecouchagain
Jun 28, 2012, 12:43 PM
I haven't read through all 7 pages, but I do have 1 thing to say.

Google have announced 'Project Butter', a project to sort out lag. I think this says it all.

Apple would have called this bug fixes and enhancements, yet Google go and create a whole project for something that Apple had sorted from day 1.

People say that there wasn't much announced with iOS 6 (which is untrue) but the same can be said for Jelly Bean. This 'Project Butter' crap just makes it look like they are bringing out more than they actually are.

I guess you can say iOS 6, and more specifically Maps, is huge for dedicated iOS users. It's not very huge for Android users. And vice versa for "Project Butter" but that's hardly the most important or biggest feature of JB. I personally think ICS already puts Android close to or some would argue on par with iOS' smoothness and stability. To me, the biggest news of JB is the Swiftkey-like prediction for the stock keyboard.

----------

Woah, in other news, Chrome is coming to iOS. Should be in the App store later today, but can't be set as default browser and will "lack the Nitro JavaScript engine that Apple uses to speed Safari's performance."
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/28/google-chrome-browser-google-drive-coming-to-ios/

blackhand1001
Jun 28, 2012, 12:49 PM

Android has had dictation built into the stock keyboard since like version 1.6. It also quite a bit more accurate than apples.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg140/scaled.php?server=140&filename=screenshot2012062813510.png&res=landing (http://img140.imageshack.us/i/screenshot2012062813510.png/)

matttye
Jun 28, 2012, 12:49 PM
As long as the voice search works as well as or better than Siri, I'll be really happy with it! S voice on my phone is pretty rubbish in all honesty!

Project butter is a nice update too, although my phone is really smooth already...hope the difference is noticeable!

Google Now looks really impressive, just hope it works as well as they showed it :D

New notifications look really useful. Voice search is a flashy feature, but I think I'll get the most use out of the new notifications more than the other features.

More excited for this than the iOS update despite it being a minor update, as its updating a lot of the core Android features, things we use constantly every single day. :)

matttye
Jun 28, 2012, 12:52 PM
iOS by a landslide.

Siri is still better

Early comparisons show that Siri is slower and doesn't provide as much information by default. The voice is also more robotic than Googles.

I haven't used either of them myself. Have you read comparisons that indicate Siri is better? If so, do you have a link?

matttye
Jun 28, 2012, 12:54 PM
Quite easily, Jelly Bean.

Chrome Beta was already a better mobile browser than Safari, and it'll come out of beta now. The keyboard is getting Swiftkey-like predictions. There'll be offline dictation. Google Maps is getting better. Notifications is expandable. They'll add smoothness to an already very stable and smooth OS. Google Now is interesting. I think Google is doing the right thing; they already made a huge overhaul with ICS and brought it close to or on par with iOS, and now with JB, they're going to build upon that.

At the same time, I'm not necessarily knocking iOS 6, but what Apple showed just didn't affect me the way I was hoping it would. It's great that dedicated iOS users will now get their own native Maps and Navigation system, but without any word on an improved keyboard (which so sorely needs to be updated) or improved Safari or improved Mail (when are we going to get full threaded messages?), iOS is beginning to show its age. The intentionally small incremental updates may work for some -- and again, kudos to you dedicated iOS-iPhone users -- but for others who want their phones to do more, it's becoming too frustrating to stick with iOS.

Chrome, maps and another ton of google apps have already been updated, check your play store!

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 01:06 PM
Early comparisons show that Siri is slower and doesn't provide as much information by default. The voice is also more robotic than Googles.

I haven't used either of them myself. Have you read comparisons that indicate Siri is better? If so, do you have a link?

My problem with these "bake offs" is that they don't provide much context. It's not an assistant unless it can handle multiple requests that may vary in context. Typically in human interactions we queue many questions and then dispatch them. To be fair the WWDC 2012 demo of Siri wasn't impressive. Great you can tell me the score of the latest Giants game. I'm sure a web search would yield the same.

What if I requested

"Remind me to purchase the symphony tickets tonight at 9pm, set my alarm clock for 6am and send my wife an email at 5pm with the message "baby I love you".

Both of these "Assistant" technologies will fail. So with that in mind perhaps I should temper my enthusiasm or false confidence in Siri until proven otherwise.

matttye
Jun 28, 2012, 01:09 PM
My problem with these "bake offs" is that they don't provide much context. It's not an assistant unless it can handle multiple requests that may vary in context. Typically in human interactions we queue many questions and then dispatch them. To be fair the WWDC 2012 demo of Siri wasn't impressive. Great you can tell me the score of the latest Giants game. I'm sure a web search would yield the same.

What if I requested

"Remind me to purchase the symphony tickets tonight at 9pm, set my alarm clock for 6am and send my wife an email at 5pm with the message "baby I love you".

Both of these "Assistant" technologies will fail. So with that in mind perhaps I should temper my enthusiasm or false confidence in Siri until proven otherwise.

So you had no basis for saying Siri was better, you just posted it so that people would argue with you? :p

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 01:13 PM
So you had no basis for saying Siri was better, you just posted it so that people would argue with you? :p

No the basis stems from the architecture of Siri being more advanced than competing technologies but if that cannot be proven in demo then I've no choice but to concede.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 28, 2012, 01:20 PM

Bingo. Some of us woke up and realized there was a better option outside of Apples control.
*que Apple's 1984 commercial here*

and yet both of your join dates are 3 months ago... :rolleyes:

matttye
Jun 28, 2012, 01:34 PM
No the basis stems from the architecture of Siri being more advanced than competing technologies but if that cannot be proven in demo then I've no choice but to concede.

Google has always been the king of search and wants to remain that way. They'll do everything they possibly can to beat something that threatens their primary business, and Siri does.

Early comparisons show that Googles voice search is faster and provides more info, but well obviously need to wait before forming an opinion as so far we've only seen what was in the keynote!

Frankied22
Jun 28, 2012, 01:48 PM
I currently have had the iPhone 4 for two years and had the 3GS before it, but I just ordered the unlocked Galaxy Nexus. For $349 that is a crazy good deal, and I can already get JB on it. I'm really looking forward to trying it out with a pure google experience. Offline voice dictation, google now voice search, project butter, Improved notifications, offline maps, improved camera app, etc. all sous awesome. I think Google I/O really smoked Apples WWDC this year personally.

matttye
Jun 28, 2012, 01:49 PM

Just wanted to throw this in.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/comparisons/google-search-vs-apples-siri-voice-off-battle/

Google voice search is faster at every comparison and also requires less input from the user, it just does it, or should I say it just works :p

mbell1975
Jun 28, 2012, 01:50 PM

Not that I need to explain myself to you but I have been a member of this site for over 6 years. However, I stopped using the email associated with my original account. The email was closed and I didn't remember my login details for this forum, thus I had to create a new account. I have actually been here longer than you :)

oBMTo
Jun 28, 2012, 01:59 PM

How about my join date? :rolleyes:

nefan65
Jun 28, 2012, 02:00 PM

http://www.technobuffalo.com/comparisons/google-search-vs-apples-siri-voice-off-battle/

Google voice search is faster at every comparison and also requires less input from the user, it just does it, or should I say it just works :p

That's funny...I thought Siri was a gimmick?

asr10 user
Jun 28, 2012, 02:01 PM
Only if Android had airplay (send all sound to airplay, not just certain apps) and do not disturb. Those two are the only reasons why I see reason to stick with Apple when the next iphone arrives.

As an iphone 4 owner, I was looking forward to using the next Siri on the next iphone. But Google Now looks amazing.

virginblue4
Jun 28, 2012, 02:03 PM

Doesn't provide as much information as Siri though. Also with basic things with a timer, which you want to set quickly, Siri just does it, with google voice you have to confirm etc.

Also with setting reminders, you can speak to Siri with the time, whereas on that video you have to manually enter it.

Google voice is fast, I'm not denying that, but Siri was not more than 1 second behind in any of those and EVERY time it provided more information. As a personal assistant, Siri is much better.

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 02:04 PM
Newbs

LOL

I will say this thread has gone better than I thought. We all have our reasons for choosing our respective platforms but in the end the competition delivers all of us better phones.

0m3ga
Jun 28, 2012, 02:06 PM

Actually, I joined in 2008. Some of us military folks get sent places for long stretches. I came back at the end of 2011. I know, you'd think I would remember a simple thing like a login name, but alas no. Then started making tweaks for cydia, so had to come up with a name.
But feel free to have this belief that your join date means something or somehow makes you feel superior. :rolleyes:

matttye
Jun 28, 2012, 02:09 PM
Doesn't provide as much information as Siri though. Also with basic things with a timer, which you want to set quickly, Siri just does it, with google voice you have to confirm etc.

Also with setting reminders, you can speak to Siri with the time, whereas on that video you have to manually enter it.

Google voice is fast, I'm not denying that, but Siri was not more than 1 second behind in any of those and EVERY time it provided more information. As a personal assistant, Siri is much better.

Were we watching the same video? He didn't have to confirm the setting of a timer with google voice. He just said "set a timer for ten minutes" and they both did it.

You can most likely manually speak the time; he had to enter the time on that because he just said "remind me" without saying when he wanted to be reminded. If he said "remind me to buy milk in ten minutes" it should work with no further input. I do agree that Siris way of asking what time to set the timer by voice is more desirable though. I would primarily be using these features while driving and its imperative I don't have to look at or touch the screen!

From what I could see Siri didn't provide any further information either, other than in the weather forecast. :confused:

nfl46
Jun 28, 2012, 02:13 PM
Pretty amazing that JB is leading on an Apple forum. lol. But most Apple users on here are not bias though.

matttye
Jun 28, 2012, 02:15 PM
Were we watching the same video? He didn't have to confirm the setting of a timer with google voice. He just said "set a timer for ten minutes" and they both did it.

You can most likely manually speak the time; he had to enter the time on that because he just said "remind me" without saying when he wanted to be reminded. If he said "remind me to buy milk in ten minutes" it should work with no further input. I do agree that Siris way of asking what time to set the timer by voice is more desirable though. I would primarily be using these features while driving and its imperative I don't have to look at or touch the screen!

From what I could see Siri didn't provide any further information either, other than in the weather forecast. :confused:

I just realised what you meant; it did provide further information when asking for scored and how tall Kobe Bryant was, but the extra information wasn't relevant to the questions asked! So not really an advantage IMO. I'd rather get a quicker answer to the question I actually asked, than a slower answer to the question I asked along with a load of other information I didn't ask for.

matttye
Jun 28, 2012, 02:17 PM
That's funny...I thought Siri was a gimmick?

I don't recall saying that.

nefan65
Jun 28, 2012, 02:20 PM
I don't recall saying that.

That's what most Pro-Android [Fandroid] folks said when Siri was first announced. I wasn't implying you said it, but based on all your posts here today, and some of your replied, it seemed to fit.

Redjericho
Jun 28, 2012, 02:21 PM
I thought this was also a good read. Great time to be a technology lover!

http://gizmodo.com/5921789/android-jelly-bean-vs-ios-6-vs-windows-phone-8-the-ultimate-mobile-comparison

The whole time I was reading that I was thinking "Oh, Microsoft, just stick to making PC's and Xbox's, leave the mobile stuff to the pros."

Frankied22
Jun 28, 2012, 02:23 PM
Apparently you can activate the Google Now on the GNex by just saying "google". Seriously, it looks way more useful than Siri and quicker. Add that to offline dictation, improved notifications, project butter, offline maps, improved camera app, etc I think Google just spanked Apple this summer. I just ordered the unlocked Necus for $349 and an really looking forward to giving it a try with pure JB.

And as for Chrome coming to iOS, it's already gimped like most of googles iOS apps. And people are expecting a full blown G Maps app this fall? Doubt it.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2012/06/28/chrome-for-ios-is-live-and-ready-for-download-heres-what-you-need-to-know/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheNextWeb+%28The+Next+Web+All+Stories%29

matttye
Jun 28, 2012, 02:24 PM
That's what most Pro-Android [Fandroid] folks said when Siri was first announced. I wasn't implying you said it, but based on all your posts here today, and some of your replied, it seemed to fit.

In what way am I an android fanboy? I have an iPad and I criticise Android all the time. I look at things objectively and I can recognise a superior product. Googles voice search, from what I have seen, answers questions very fast and has a loud, clear, human voice. I personally think it looks better than Siri.

Until yesterday's keynote I thought Siri was the best. If I was a fanboy, I would've argued that S voice, vlingo, voice actions or any other number of assistants were better, but they clearly weren't.

Zaft
Jun 28, 2012, 02:34 PM
If you add a feature to your OS/app that can be turned off/on then you must add that UI element to manage the feature. This isn't bad if you have just a few items to toggle but can become an unruly mess if you add too many features.

Apple's pretty much made their choice. They are not making the OS the focus they are making the apps a focus. iOS 6 is about giving developers more power to create great apps. This ideology isn't going to appeal to everyone but it's the road that Apple is walking down.

You can always jailbreak if you want new home screens ect. It's legal according to the US government : P

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 02:34 PM
Apparently you can activate the Google Now on the GNex by just saying "google". Seriously, it looks way more useful than Siri and quicker. Add that to offline dictation, improved notifications, project butter, offline maps, improved camera app, etc I think Google just spanked Apple this summer. I just ordered the unlocked Necus for $349 and an really looking forward to giving it a try with pure JB.

And as for Chrome coming to iOS, it's already gimped like most of googles iOS apps. And people are expecting a full blown G Maps app this fall? Doubt it.

Google Now is quicker but I haven't seen any substantial test to show that either assistant technology is really beyond what we had 4 years ago. Right now they're able to pull up custom UI based on a query but that's still caveman era technology as compared to what the technology needs to be.

Offline dictation is nice but on my phone my cellular connectivity is always going. Could be useful for tablets though that aren't always on wifi.

Improved Notification- ???? sounds like a changelog. This is a forum which means you "can" expound upon what is special about these notifications.

improved camera app - again brainless regurgitation of a changelog.

----

I'm pretty happy with the current iOS Notification Centre. It does what it's intended to. Keep an easy to access history of my notifications and quickly takes me to the app that spawned it. I don't mind Twitter and/or Facebook joining the party but i'd prefer it not get too cluttered, distorting what a notification system is intended for.

I'm quite impressed with Game Center/Game Kit updates in iOS 6/ML. I haven't done online or multiplayer gaming but these updates make it easy to engage in challenges, turn by turn and multiplayer (including adhoc). I see no reason why Apple need cede any of the gaming market on mobile.

matttye
Jun 28, 2012, 02:42 PM
Google Now is quicker but I haven't seen any substantial test to show that either assistant technology is really beyond what we had 4 years ago. Right now they're able to pull up custom UI based on a query but that's still caveman era technology as compared to what the technology needs to be.

Offline dictation is nice but on my phone my cellular connectivity is always going. Could be useful for tablets though that aren't always on wifi.

Improved Notification- ???? sounds like a changelog. This is a forum which means you "can" expound upon what is special about these notifications.

improved camera app - again brainless regurgitation of a changelog.

----

I'm pretty happy with the current iOS Notification Centre. It does what it's intended to. Keep an easy to access history of my notifications and quickly takes me to the app that spawned it. I don't mind Twitter and/or Facebook joining the party but i'd prefer it not get too cluttered, distorting what a notification system is intended for.

I'm quite impressed with Game Center/Game Kit updates in iOS 6/ML. I haven't done online or multiplayer gaming but these updates make it easy to engage in challenges, turn by turn and multiplayer (including adhoc). I see no reason why Apple need cede any of the gaming market on mobile.

The camera borrows a feature from windows phone by allowing you to swipe to the right after taking photos to quickly view photos you've taken. You can then pinch to show a big list of the recent photos snapped. From this list, you can swipe photos up or down to delete them. When you delete photos there's an undo option in case you deleted the wrong one.

The notification improvements look really useful to me. They now allow "rich notifications" which allows developers to add actions to notifications. This means, for example, a missed call notification could show two buttons along with the notification; call back and message. The notification at the top automatically shows the extra actions, and to show extra actions on any other notification you just swipe down with two fingers.

Here's a picture:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jelly+bean+notifications&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=QLPsT62sJ4SX0QXF4Lz6DA&ved=0CDYQ_AUoAQ&biw=768&bih=928#biv=i|0;d|KbJfJaKyDzvaHM:

As you can see, you can email guests invited to an event directly from the notification bar. Pretty useful.

LSUtigers03
Jun 28, 2012, 02:50 PM
Jelly Bean is very slick. It's not a huge update but it improves on the overall experience. The voice to text is much better than on iOS and Google Now is very cool. The speech recognition is very accurate and it's very quick with the answer to your question. The voice also sounds more human than Siri does on my 4s. The Siri voice has never bothered me but having it sound more human is pretty nice. I haven't played with it very much but so far it seems nice. It improves on the vast improvement that ICS brought to the Android experience. If anyone has a GSM Galaxy Nexus make a nandroid backup and head on over to xda and flash the JB ROM.

mbell1975
Jun 28, 2012, 02:55 PM
I think I might have to open a line with AT&T and get an unlocked Galaxy Nexus in a few weeks when JB is released now that its only $350. Better than waiting another 6 months for it to land on my current phone when they will be about ready to launch KLP.

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 02:56 PM
The camera borrows a feature from windows phone by allowing you to swipe to the right after taking photos to quickly view photos you've taken. You can then pinch to show a big list of the recent photos snapped. From this list, you can swipe photos up or down to delete them. When you delete photos there's an undo option in case you deleted the wrong one.

The notification improvements look really useful to me. They now allow "rich notifications" which allows developers to add actions to notifications. This means, for example, a missed call notification could show two buttons along with the notification; call back and message. The notification at the top automatically shows the extra actions, and to show extra actions on any other notification you just swipe down with two fingers.

Here's a picture:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jelly+bean+notifications&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=QLPsT62sJ4SX0QXF4Lz6DA&ved=0CDYQ_AUoAQ&biw=768&bih=928#biv=i|0;d|KbJfJaKyDzvaHM:

As you can see, you can email guests invited to an event directly from the notification bar. Pretty useful.

They are useful features but in the end they are really neither better nor worse that other current options or options that preceded. The Notification Center in JB is a bit heavy on the UI widgets IMO and the camera is a nice feature but these aren't iOS spanking features. If it was ...I'd say so.

LSUtigers03
Jun 28, 2012, 02:59 PM
I think I might have to open a line with AT&T and get an unlocked Galaxy Nexus in a few weeks when JB is released now that its only $350. Better than waiting another 6 months for it to land on my current phone when they will be about ready to launch KLP.

You could just move your sim card between two phones and not have to pay for another line.

Frankied22
Jun 28, 2012, 03:01 PM

I just ordered myself one. Really looking forward to trying it with JB.

bjones521
Jun 28, 2012, 03:03 PM
I currently have an Iphone 4s. I was an Android user for the last 2 years up until about 8 months ago. I can say after watching this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNRAOg5jUk&feature=player_embedded

I cant name anything IOS does better than JB. I am a Nexus kinda guy and now Android is just as fluid as IOS. Thats the only thing it was missing.

The only thing i can say Apple may be better at is its Music App. But google wins by a landslide with youtube and maps plus notifications and multitasking. With IOS 7 there should be NO reason Apple cant multitask!! Google does it and its fluid and it has better battery life. Ask my old Galaxy S2.

matttye
Jun 28, 2012, 03:04 PM
They are useful features but in the end they are really neither better nor worse that other current options or options that preceded. The Notification Center in JB is a bit heavy on the UI widgets IMO and the camera is a nice feature but these aren't iOS spanking features. If it was ...I'd say so.

The thing I like about jelly bean is they theyve improved most of the core Android features.

- speed
- notifications
- search
- voice search
- google now (basically a really intelligent organiser..improves on and combines existing features like calendar, navigation etc.)

This is why despite the jb update being minor and the iOS version having more actual new features, I consider the jb update to be a bigger and better update because it's going to improve on the way the device is used every day.

onthecouchagain
Jun 28, 2012, 03:07 PM
The thing I like about jelly bean is they theyve improved most of the core Android features.

- speed
- notifications
- search
- voice search
- google now (basically a really intelligent organiser..improves on and combines existing features like calendar, navigation etc.)

This is why despite the jb update being minor and the iOS version having more actual new features, I consider the jb update to be a bigger and better update because it's going to improve on the way the device is used every day.

Don't forget the Swiftkey-like predictions for the stock keyboard!

Conversely, the iOS stock keyboard gave birth to the internet phenom of "Damn You iPhone Auto Correction". And yet Apple still doesn't care to update or improve on what is clearly an outdated keyboard.

matttye
Jun 28, 2012, 03:08 PM

Conversely, the iOS stock keyboard gave birth to the internet phenom of "Damn You iPhone Auto Correction". And yet Apple still doesn't care to update or improve on what is clearly an outdated keyboard.

I did actually mean to include that, the typing experience is a big one!

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 03:16 PM
I cant name anything IOS does better than JB. I am a Nexus kinda guy and now Android is just as fluid as IOS. Thats the only thing it was missing.

Content sync through iCloud is better than any any other mobile device.

matttye
Jun 28, 2012, 03:22 PM

Agreed, but only because it's all in one place :p

Google syncs contacts, calendars and mail to the cloud and it's supported on more platforms than iCloud. Android can sync music to Google play music (although not in my country yet :( ), it can sync photos and videos to Picasa and Google+. Google doesn't have a decent iMessage competitor.

bigjnyc
Jun 28, 2012, 03:24 PM
I dont get how these Android releases work.... I thought ICS hasnt even been pushed out to most of their phones, and they're already on their next OS? doesnt seem to be any organization or order. I'll stick to iOS where I know I can get the newest iOS on my device for at least 3 years.

matttye
Jun 28, 2012, 03:27 PM
I dont get how these Android releases work.... I thought ICS hasnt even been pushed out to most of their phones, and they're already on their next OS? doesnt seem to be any organization or order. I'll stick to iOS where I know I can get the newest iOS on my device for at least 3 years.

You can get updates for longer than that but only if you're willing to use custom roms.

lilo777
Jun 28, 2012, 03:30 PM

With Android, if getting timely updates is your priority, you buy Nexus devices. This gives you exactly the same level of support as with iOS. It's that simple.

Spectrum Abuser
Jun 28, 2012, 03:31 PM
[IMHO]Apple lost the spark with iOS 6. The whole experience is like stale bread. You'll still eat it, but you know there's a fresh loaf sitting on the shelf.

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 03:34 PM

Of which most of those are fake.

----------

[IMHO]Apple lost the spark with iOS 6. The whole experience is like stale bread. You'll still eat it, but you know there's a fresh loaf sitting on the shelf.

Maybe you need some [project] butter for that bread ;)

marcusj0015
Jun 28, 2012, 03:44 PM

No, I"ll never use Android, and this is a ridiculous post, I vote this thread be sent to the wasteland (I think that's what it's called.)

----------

Apple needs to rethink their UI, almost the entire UI (Minus the lether and linen) looks like god damn Vista. -_- And as a man who's made his own custom Themes, I have the right to say that.

onthecouchagain
Jun 28, 2012, 03:49 PM
Of which most of those are fake.[COLOR="#808080"]

No doubt, but it still gave birth to that phenomenon and the keyboard hasn't changed much (an understatement) since.

My own experience typing on the 4/4S gave similar results. I thumb pretty fast thanks to my old Blackberry days, and the keyboard simply doesn't keep up. It frequently misses keys and letters, leading to typos, which lead to incorrect auto corrections. (Happens on my iPad too, but for some reason, I mind less on the iPad).

But it's more than the inability of the keyboard to keep up. The lack of a suggestion bar and the inability to pick what words the dictionary remembers and doesn't remember also hurts the typing experience. The suggestion bar makes such a huge difference in giving you the option to select the right word you want versus trying to hit that little "x" for a word you don't want on iOS (without options to choose something else).

And if you want to talk beyond stock keyboards, options like Swype and Swiftkey offer incredible alternatives to traditional typing. Other keyboards also offer the customization to change which letter corresponds to which symbol key, or offer things like long press for every letter (something I wish stock Android keyboard adopts too one day).

Stock versus stock, the Android keyboard is leaps and bounds ahead of iOS'. I'm not being hyperbolic either. I've used both extensively because email is a big part of my life and work. And JB is going to push it even further with Switftkey-like predictions.

onthecouchagain
Jun 28, 2012, 03:59 PM
If this poll were close, I'd be amazed still, but the fact that JB is winning...

Sedrick
Jun 28, 2012, 04:01 PM
Both are point releases. ICS was big and maybe iOS 4, but not these. It is fair to compare both, though, because of that.

AustinIllini
Jun 28, 2012, 04:09 PM
No, I"ll never use Android, and this is a ridiculous post, I vote this thread be sent to the wasteland (I think that's what it's called.)

I think it's a fair thread. Thank you for answering my question!

----------

If this poll were close, I'd be amazed still, but the fact that JB is winning...

That's the reason I think this thread is fair, because people clearly don't agree on this.

oBMTo
Jun 28, 2012, 04:14 PM
The only thing i can say Apple may be better at is its Music App.

Poweramp smokes Apples music players.

onthecouchagain
Jun 28, 2012, 04:16 PM
Poweramp smokes Apples music players.

Better than DoubleTwist?

mbell1975
Jun 28, 2012, 04:17 PM
The funny thing is, I am willing to bet probably 80% of the people who voted for iOS 6 are those who have never even held an Android phone. They just vote for it blindly because its Apple :rolleyes:

oBMTo
Jun 28, 2012, 04:17 PM
Better than DoubleTwist?

I only use DoubleTwist to sync music. I like Poweramp better as a music player.

0m3ga
Jun 28, 2012, 04:20 PM

I know you really want to believe this, but it's not the case, and for one simple reason... It is limited to the Apple ecosystem. With Google syncing, it doesn't matter what platform you have, you can access your content from anywhere and on any type of device from pc, mac, Android based devices, Windows phone, iDevices, smart tv, tablets, etc...

In other words, I can go into google webpage, login and have instant access to email, docs, notes, music, app store, calendar, g drive, etc...

If you want to stay within the Apple ecosystem, iCloud provides what you need. But to say it is better is hardly justifiable.

onthecouchagain
Jun 28, 2012, 04:20 PM
The funny thing is, I am willing to bet probably 80% of the people who voted for iOS 6 are those who have never even held an Android phone. They just vote for it blindly because its Apple :rolleyes:

Very possible. But I think it also reflects a growing discontent from some with iOS.

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 04:22 PM

No I think it's more that iOS for a lot of current iPhone owners is a known quantity and frankly the features that people laud on Android (open source, widgets, technical interfaces) just isn't that appealing.

Also we cannot discount the platform. If you're web centric Google's foo will be strong. If you're a Mac owner that relies on Apple built tools then iOS is the way to go.

0m3ga
Jun 28, 2012, 04:23 PM

Yep, I would hazard to guess this is true, but it would be just an opinion. I haven't used Jellybean or iOS 6 yet, so my opinion doesn't mean much... in my opinion. :D

SR45
Jun 28, 2012, 04:36 PM

And you sir, don't have a anything to back that 80% statement up. Its just smoke coming from the rear end. I had an Android, and did not like it and returned it, and will buy the iPhone 5. Why?, because its to my liking, and can careless about all these comparison garbage posts that pop up all the time. It won't affect my decision. If you want the other smartphones, than go and get one, and leave this forum. :mad:

PS: Why don't you all JB lovers wait until the reviews are in and wait until iOS 6 reviews are in as well, than post your garbage as to which one is the better

milk242
Jun 28, 2012, 04:36 PM
I'll use any OS if they provide me a 4" screen and use the webkit engine for their browser or allow webkit based browsers.

funkdoctor
Jun 28, 2012, 04:43 PM
Today :

RIM's on its death bed

Microsoft has not fought its way back yet. They have come out with an updated OS that has gotten nice reviews - but people aren't buying them yet.

0m3ga
Jun 28, 2012, 05:06 PM
If you want the other smartphones, than go and get one, and leave this forum. :mad:

PS: Why don't you all JB lovers wait until the reviews are in and wait until iOS 6 reviews are in as well, than post your garbage as to which one is the better

Some of us own both iDevices and Android devices. I suggest you leave the forum or don't read the threads, if you have an issue. Love the 'mad' emoticon by the way.

As for JB and iOS6, both beta's are out and can be reviewed. There are already reviews on them.

----------

Be sure to let iPad 1 owners know this. :rolleyes: Or the iPhone 3G owners that were left behind at 4.2.1
Maybe you should amend your stqtement to say 2 years, instead of 3?

Anyway, Jellybean is an incrimental update to ICS, not the next OS.

lordofthereef
Jun 28, 2012, 05:09 PM
Be sure to let iPad 1 owners know this. :rolleyes: Or the iPhone 3G owners that were left behind at 4.2.1
Maybe you should amend your stqtement to say 2 years, instead of 3?

With Apple's decision to still support the 3GS, I think it is safe to say that they plan to support all devices for at least three years following launch date here on out. Truth be told I am not sure I like that. My feelings are that iOS6 was lackluster due to the fact that they geared it towards running on legacy devices.

0m3ga
Jun 28, 2012, 05:17 PM
Agreed, but only because it's all in one place :p

Google syncs contacts, calendars and mail to the cloud and it's supported on more platforms than iCloud. Android can sync music to Google play music (although not in my country yet :( ), it can sync photos and videos to Picasa and Google+. Google doesn't have a decent iMessage competitor.

True that. The stock messenger service blows on Android. It works, but nothing like iMessage. Maybe Google should buy RIM and give all Android based phones BBM! Now that would be awesome.

Anyway, I use GoSMS or Handcent. Apple has the clear advantage here... Nothing except BBM touches iMessage.

----------

With Apple's decision to still support the 3GS, I think it is safe to say that they plan to support all devices for at least three years following launch date here on out. Truth be told I am not sure I like that. My feelings are that iOS6 was lackluster due to the fact that they geared it towards running on legacy devices.

I agree with you. I don't feel devices should be supported past 2 years, due to legacy issues. It was perfect timing for those of us that bought the S3, since JB is about to be released. We lucked out on a matching cycle. Unlike all those Nokia Lumia 900 buyers that are getting screwed over.

Carlanga
Jun 28, 2012, 05:20 PM
Both OSes are improvement to the current ones (optimization) kinda like Snow Leopard. I did get excited w/ the cheap tablet (competition = lower prices!) and the for geeks only glasses

lordofthereef
Jun 28, 2012, 05:43 PM
True that. The stock messenger service blows on Android. It works, but nothing like iMessage.

I actually find myself wishing there was a better option for GTalk on iOS all the time. I guess it depends on how many android versus iOS users you know. I agree it would be nicer to meld it into one service (as they do in iMessages) but I don't REALLY find myself missing iMessages on my Android device.

LSUtigers03
Jun 28, 2012, 05:46 PM
I actually find myself wishing there was a better option for GTalk on iOS all the time. I guess it depends on how many android versus iOS users you know. I agree it would be nicer to meld it into one service (as they do in iMessages) but I don't REALLY find myself missing iMessages on my Android device.

While I don't miss iMessage I do miss how well iOS handles group texts.

cynics
Jun 28, 2012, 06:27 PM
While I don't miss iMessage I do miss how well iOS handles group texts.

Go SMS Pro. You'll be able to do group messaging like and with ios users.

Just enable group messaging in the settings.

mbell1975
Jun 28, 2012, 06:52 PM

Yep. Go SMS Pro makes iMessage look like a toy

jlwilsonjr
Jun 28, 2012, 06:55 PM
You could just move your sim card between two phones and not have to pay for another line.

This may be the approach I take that way I can use both and see which one I like the best.

alphaod
Jun 28, 2012, 06:58 PM
I like iOS; seems easier to use and the keyboard is more accurate. Browser experience is good, and of course all of my music is on iTunes, so I'm sort of stuck on that front. I don't have issues with app compatibility, and that nonsense. App use is consistent and the task switcher seems to work perfectly. I can leave my iPhone running for months between updates and it doesn't really seem to slow down much, though now I tend to reboot it once in a while after installing a new app and such.

As with Android, well really I like the ability to default applications with different file formats. For example I can choose a different video player, or browser, or even default my phone calling to Skype instead of the regular phone app. I have SwiftKey 3 which seems to be an improvement over the default keyboard, but it still gives me weird predictions and defaults. For example, if I type P, choose the letter P (in the autocomplete) and then type a space it types out 'Please'; even if I go back to correct it back to 'P', it still autocorrects my correction. That's not good. I have to flash my software between different firmware versions just to get different input languages; for example I want to input in Chinese PinYin and it turns out my firmware doesn't support it. I need an Asian firmware, but then I may be stuck with a bunch of built-in applications I can't use and marketplace restrictions (I know I can get Google IME, but then I have to go back into settings every time I want to switch between keyboards just to get an input language). Speaking of marketplace restictions, another annoyance is the app compatibility. I use Hulu, and of course it doesn't work on my device. Currently I have a Galaxy S III, and even with all it's power I can't seem to be able to run it for a couple days before needing to reboot it. I get browser crashes, apps randomly closing, etc.; not the sort of thing expected in a mature OS. I had earlier Android devices and didn't like them, and right now I'm not very impressed.

Finally an unmentioned OS in this poll, I rather enjoy Windows Phone 7; I'm probably in the minority these days to loving Windows Mobile (6.5 and earlier) and still enjoy using Symbian. I picked up a Samsung Focus with WP7 two years ago and have been very impressed with the usability of the OS. Keyboard is very easy to use. Interface is fluid and easy to look at; love the Xbox Live integration. As I mentioned my previous OS experience, I was disappointed with the rather lackluster application choices, lack of multitasking (things that existed with Windows Mobile 6.5 and earlier, as well as on Symbian). Microsoft seems to have improved on some of these things with Windows Phone 7.5 on my Lumia 900, but it still looks like some work needs done. Right now I'm a bit disappointed that in less than a few months my new Lumia 900 won't be able to support their next generation OS, instead will be stuck on an interim update, Windows Phone 7.8; not a good way to keep loyal users.

Zaft
Jun 28, 2012, 07:20 PM

Really? I'm gonna try this on my wife's android. I use iMessage so it's annoying when I can't see her name when we do group messages with friends.

xraydoc
Jun 28, 2012, 07:42 PM
For many people, it doesn't matter that JB4.1 has a longer feature list than iOS 6 (which is up for debate). For many people, like me, it's the iOS-OSX ecosystem that is the killer "app."

For example, I'm a heavy Keynote user. My files get auto-synced between my iPad, my iPhone and, soon (with 10.8), my Macs.

Pages will do it. Numbers will do it. GoodReader will do it. iBooks will do it (even for PDFs, not just purchased items). Many other apps will sync through iCloud to keep data automagically synced. This is huge. Were I to use an Android device (or even multiple Android devices), I'd still need to manually sync many of my apps to/from Dropbox or Google Drive.

Take an app like QuickOffice. I have to manually sync files to one or another cloud service. Google just bought QuickOffice, so I presume Google Drive sync will be built in to some degree in the future, but it's yet to be seen to what degree.

iOS isn't perfect. It's missing many features that other mobile OSs have. Some look to be added in iOS 6, but if we're simply tallying the number of bare features, Apple may lose. But the whole is more than the sum of its parts. And for me, and many, many others, iOS is the better solution.

But that's why more than one OS exists (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Blackberry, etc.). One size does not fit all.

But this childish my-OS-is-better-than-yours is just stupid. It's just as stupid as it was when it was Windows 95/98/98SE/ME/2000/XP versus MacOS.

Watch what I do on a daily basis and try to replicate it on Android. You can't. Not that Android is crap (some parts are, some aren't IMHO), but show me an Android tablet where I can create/edit a full-featured high-quality Keynote/PowerPoint presentation, connect to an HDMI or VGA projector, sync my phone via BT or WiFi to use as a presentation controller with presenter notes, and do it all while automatically keeping all edits between Mac, tablet and phone in perfect sync. You can't. Tons of people don't need features like this. But tons do. And for them, iOS has the better solution right now.

NovemberWhiskey
Jun 28, 2012, 08:11 PM
Aside from the fanboy chatter:

I just upgraded my Nexus to a JellyBean Leak and I can say that it is a marked improvement over ICS, bringing new functions that improve the user experience.

I was blown away initially by the voice search/dictation (siri competitor) engine, but ran into some recognition problems later. Maybe I just don't know the proper commands yet, but bringing up the weather was fast and perfect. The voice is much better than the old voice on Android (Navigation is conducted entirely in this new smooth female voice that sounds completely natural) and MUCH better than SIRI. It's like listening to a 29 y/o female talking to you on the phone. No stuttering, no AI tinge.

Cards is cool, and has already come in handy a few times. I love how if you have an appt with the address on there, it will automatically calculate your route time, and give you an easy one-click navigation option. When your appt is over, it automatically calculates your route back home. AWESOME. You also get traffic info both ways, which was crucial today for LA traffic.

You get email blurbs in the notification bar now, which is great, and voicemail transcription through google voice in there too. Awesome.

New animations, some things are smoother/faaster, etc. All great. Very few problems. In fact, none for me personally.

I can't wait until the custom ROMS.

Overall, compared to iOS, I would say Android is innovating more in utility, while iOS innovates more in smoothness/user experience/design/build quality. Just my personal opinion.

This is coming from an iphone 3gs user, that went through 4 diff android models, and was/am considering going back to the new iphone 5 when it comes out.

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2012, 08:19 PM
Overall, compared to iOS, I would say Android is innovating more in utility, while iOS innovates more in smoothness/user experience/design/build quality. Just my personal opinion.

Very astute observation. I agree 100%. Everything in iOS 6 smacks of polish in developer tools. Apple apparently is going to lean heavily on developer to cover the gaps.

Calidude
Jun 28, 2012, 08:41 PM
I'll admit, GTalk on Android sucks. You can't even send pictures on it. It needs to be turned into a full BBM/Whatsapp/iMessage-like suite, but without the closed nature of iMessage. I'd like to have those messages sync to my account that I can access on any web browser and be able to chat with anybody on an IM service that uses XMPP.

That being said, Apple should make the Messages app more like the OSX beta Messages app, where you can chat with people on other networks.

MythicFrost
Jun 28, 2012, 08:41 PM
So basically, nobody in this entire forum can call themselves a tech enthusiast because they use a phone that even a small child or very old senior citizen with no tech knowledge can use.

Is that what you're getting at?
What? Where did I ever say that? I consider myself a tech enthusiast, I like all technology.

0m3ga
Jun 28, 2012, 08:59 PM
Watch what I do on a daily basis and try to replicate it on Android. You can't. Not that Android is crap (some parts are, some aren't IMHO), but show me an Android tablet where I can create/edit a full-featured high-quality Keynote/PowerPoint presentation, connect to an HDMI or VGA projector, sync my phone via BT or WiFi to use as a presentation controller with presenter notes, and do it all while automatically keeping all edits between Mac, tablet and phone in perfect sync. You can't. Tons of people don't need features like this. But tons do. And for them, iOS has the better solution right now.

Well, since very few companies use Keynote in comparison to M$ Office and Powerpoint, let's stick with powerpoint, shall we? I'll use my S3 as an example.

Using Google docs (which is accessible by ios, android and windows and saved in the cloud via GDrive), everyone in my meeting will automatically be able to read/write (since I will have given them permissions to this 'team' folder) in word docs or powerpoint and make changes in real time via auto-syncing.

Next, I'll simple connect my phone via bt to a bt mouse and bt keyboard and hdmi direct to whatever kind of display there is. Now my phone will act just like any pc and display just like a regular pc, with arrow pointer, click and drag, open apps with a click of the mouse, go through folders, etc.... Now, just to add a bit of fun, let's say we want to show a video while presenting on the same screen. Just click on the vid file and click the pop-up play button. Now we can see the video play in a small section of the screen while we continue presenting our powerpoint. And we can click and drag the video anywhere we want, even partially or completely off screen, but still hear it.

This is why Google Drive was added to the app store today. Cross collaberation and team effort, regardless if you are on a pc, mac, android phone, iphone or windows phone or any tablet.

So, really, which is the best solution for people today? The one that can't do as much and is stuck to one manufacturer? Or the one available to everyone and can function like a 'team' player? ;)

mbell1975
Jun 28, 2012, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE=NovemberWhiskey;

Overall, compared to iOS, I would say Android is innovating more in utility, while iOS innovates more in smoothness/user experience/design/build quality. Just my personal opinion.[/QUOTE]

Disagree. The fact that you cant even do something as simple in iOS as changing your default browser when you click a link in an email to changing keyboards easily to downloading and setting a custom ringtone without using iTunes is laughable. Not to mention all the other things you can't do with iOS.

DodgeV83
Jun 28, 2012, 10:17 PM
Well, since very few companies use Keynote in comparison to M$ Office and Powerpoint, let's stick with powerpoint, shall we? I'll use my S3 as an example.

Using Google docs (which is accessible by ios, android and windows and saved in the cloud via GDrive), everyone in my meeting will automatically be able to read/write (since I will have given them permissions to this 'team' folder) in word docs or powerpoint and make changes in real time via auto-syncing.

Next, I'll simple connect my phone via bt to a bt mouse and bt keyboard and hdmi direct to whatever kind of display there is. Now my phone will act just like any pc and display just like a regular pc, with arrow pointer, click and drag, open apps with a click of the mouse, go through folders, etc.... Now, just to add a bit of fun, let's say we want to show a video while presenting on the same screen. Just click on the vid file and click the pop-up play button. Now we can see the video play in a small section of the screen while we continue presenting our powerpoint. And we can click and drag the video anywhere we want, even partially or completely off screen, but still hear it.

This is why Google Drive was added to the app store today. Cross collaberation and team effort, regardless if you are on a pc, mac, android phone, iphone or windows phone or any tablet.

So, really, which is the best solution for people today? The one that can't do as much and is stuck to one manufacturer? Or the one available to everyone and can function like a 'team' player? ;)

Can't do as much? Have you compared Google Docs to Keynote? Have you compared a bluetooth mouse to Keynote Remote on the iPhone?

Having a separate video overlay on your presentation? Highlighting the importance of giving your presentation audience the power to edit your presentation (assuming they sign up with Google)?

This example exemplifies exactly what sets iOS apart from Android. Yes, both salesmen can walk in and pitch their services, but xraydoc's example will look professional, while yours...won't.

If you can look at the example xraydoc described, compare it to yours, and honestly believe yours is the "best solution for people today", then you don't get it.

----------

Disagree. The fact that you cant even do something as simple in iOS as changing your default browser when you click a link in an email to changing keyboards easily to downloading and setting a custom ringtone without using iTunes is laughable. Not to mention all the other things you can't do with iOS.

Everything you said can fall under the definition of utility. By the way, my Windows Mobile from 2005 did all of that :p

mbell1975
Jun 28, 2012, 10:38 PM
Everything you said can fall under the definition of utility. By the way, my Windows Mobile from 2005 did all of that :p

Thanks for proving my point. Even more embarrassing that iOS cannot do this :rolleyes:

DodgeV83
Jun 28, 2012, 10:44 PM
Thanks for proving my point. Even more embarrassing that iOS cannot do this :rolleyes:

That depends on your viewpoint. Do you find it embarrassing when my iPhone 4S does something your phone cannot do?

Zaft
Jun 28, 2012, 10:48 PM
I didn't realize macrurnors got infested with so many trolls

mbell1975
Jun 28, 2012, 10:49 PM
That depends on your viewpoint. Do you find it embarrassing when my iPhone 4S does something your phone cannot do?

I had a 4s with my Maxx. I really can't think of one important thing the 4s could do the Maxx couldn't. However, I can think of at least 20 things off the top of my head the Maxx can do the 4s couldn't...run at LTE speeds, use an SD card, flash, go 3 times as long without a charge...