Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BlueStacks announced a public alpha version of their Android App Player for the Mac today at Google I/O.

The company had originally released a beta version of their App Player for Windows back in March. The software allows users to run Android apps directly on their Windows PCs, and the newest version begins to extend that functionality to the Mac.

While the Windows version allows you to run any Android app without modification, the early Mac version seems to be limited to 15 initial apps that comes bundled with the download. The bundled apps include Air Control Lite, Alchemy, Basketball Shot, Drag Racing, Elastic World, Facebook, Glow Hockey, Guns'n'Glory, Paper Toss, Pulse, Robo Defense, Seesmic, Twitter, Whatsapp, and Zebra Paint.

Their support page claims that "in the very near future", they plan on opening the Mac version up to over 400,000 Android apps:
The BlueStacks App Player for Mac OSX (alpha) supports both Lion and Snow Leopard. You can test drive a fixed set of curated apps for the first release (alpha-1). In the very near future, BlueStacks will let you select from over 400,000 Android apps to play on your Mac.
The alpha version is available as a free download from the BlueStacks website.

Article Link: BlueStacks Allows You to Run Android Apps on a Mac

devinher

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
I don't really get this. Why would you want to run Android apps on a Mac? Doesn't Mac already have a much better selection of quality apps than Android?

FlameofAnor

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
I don't really get this. Why would you want to run Android apps on a Mac? Doesn't Mac already have a much better selection of quality apps than Android?

I'll admit, that I too am perplexed by this. What "amazing" Android apps don't already have an iOS counterpart?

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'll admit, that I too am perplexed by this. What "amazing" Android apps don't already have an iOS counterpart?

Not the point. The point is that you'll be able to run mobile apps on your desktop/laptop OS - something you cannot do with iOS apps. Whether it's at all productive or useful is a whole another argument.

Exotic-Car Man

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2010
USA
Dev use?

Perhaps it could be used by developers. I know this isn't an Android simulator, but I could see it (maybe) coming in handy for devs. It seems like they would just use the Android simulator, though.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway

Cross platform gaming, and access to Android only apps for your Mac. There are many apps for android I just wish I had on my Mac, and I have an Android phone, an iPhone, an iPad, a Mac and a PC.

TBH I almost only use my Mac/iPad/Android Phone, and next to never use my iPhone and my PC.

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
Well I think it's pretty cool. I'm not sure how the emulation works, but it could help developers maybe?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Bringing apps that require a touch screen to a PC with a keyboard and mouse. Genius.

----------

Console emulators? Google apps? Flash Player? Task Manager?

There are Google apps on the iPhone. As for the emulators.... jailbreak :D:D

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
This is sorta useless for the consumer, for the dev, I have no idea. It's great they've got it working though.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I actually got Android for Intel processors running in VirtualBox. I think it was an outdated, illegit, Chinese edition though.

----------

It seems like it could only remotely be useful for games, and even the games already have PC versions anyway.

----------

This is sorta useless for the consumer, for the dev, I have no idea. It's great they've got it working though.

This reminds me of iOS Simulator, which I tried fruitlessly for hours to get Cube Runner onto.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
now I can run apps designed for touch input with my keyboard and mouse on my mac, just what I have been waiting for! :rolleyes:

Durendal

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
Isn't this already possible with Eclipse and the Android dev tools? They have an emulator that lets you run/debug software you're building in Eclipse. I can't imagine that it wouldn't let you install your own.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Bringing apps that require a touch screen to a PC with a keyboard and mouse. Genius.

----------

There are Google apps on the iPhone. As for the emulators.... jailbreak :D:D
Google apps for Android have many features that the iOS version don't have... which is perhaps to be expected.
As for jailbreaking, in my opinion the security/privacy concerns outweighs the added functionality.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle

I'm no techy person but this was my first thought after reading the title. :D

There's more mac Apps than android and they're usually the first to come out then it becomes available for android. Is this not the case?

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
And what would be the purpose of running an app to run apps made for another platform on a platform where I can all ready get superior versions of the same apps?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Google apps for Android have many features that the iOS version don't have... which is perhaps to be expected.
As for jailbreaking, in my opinion the security/privacy concerns outweighs the added functionality.

Jailbreaking does not open any security or privacy holes, but the thing that just keeps me worried is how it installs stuff like MySQL when you jailbreak. Would that slow it down? I've jailbroken my iPhone and only installed a couple of emulators and Terminal, and it seems to be running just as well as before, but I'm still wondering.

The only Google app I've been annoyed with has been their Maps app and its lack of voice navigation. Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm talking about this. All Google services are available fully on the PC anyway.

----------

And what would be the purpose of running an app to run apps made for another platform on a platform where I can all ready get superior versions of the same apps?

I don't know, but I bet $20 that at least 1000 people will get this so they can use Flash on their Mac :rolleyes:
When the iPhone 4 first came out, 60% of the people surveyed thought it had 4G LTE.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Cross platform gaming, and access to Android only apps for your Mac. There are many apps for android I just wish I had on my Mac, and I have an Android phone, an iPhone, an iPad, a Mac and a PC.

Good luck playing those games without an accelerometer, digital compass, GPS and so forth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.