PDA

View Full Version : BlueStacks Allows You to Run Android Apps on a Mac

MacRumors
Jun 28, 2012, 01:58 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/28/bluestacks-allows-you-to-run-android-apps-on-a-mac/)

BlueStacks announced (http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/27/bluestacks-brings-android-to-mac/) a public alpha version of their Android App Player for the Mac today at Google I/O.

The company had originally released (http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/27/bluestacks-beta/) a beta version of their App Player for Windows back in March. The software allows users to run Android apps directly on their Windows PCs, and the newest version begins to extend that functionality to the Mac.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/bluestacks.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/bluestacks.png)
While the Windows version allows you to run any Android app without modification, the early Mac version seems to be limited to 15 initial apps that comes bundled with the download. The bundled apps include Air Control Lite, Alchemy, Basketball Shot, Drag Racing, Elastic World, Facebook, Glow Hockey, Guns'n'Glory, Paper Toss, Pulse, Robo Defense, Seesmic, Twitter, Whatsapp, and Zebra Paint.

Their support page (https://getsatisfaction.com/macbstk) claims that "in the very near future", they plan on opening the Mac version up to over 400,000 Android apps:The BlueStacks App Player for Mac OSX (alpha) supports both Lion and Snow Leopard. You can test drive a fixed set of curated apps for the first release (alpha-1). In the very near future, BlueStacks will let you select from over 400,000 Android apps to play on your Mac.The alpha version is available as a free download (http://bluestacks.com/bstks_mac.html) from the BlueStacks website.

Article Link: BlueStacks Allows You to Run Android Apps on a Mac (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/28/bluestacks-allows-you-to-run-android-apps-on-a-mac/)

devinher
Jun 28, 2012, 02:01 AM
I don't really get this. Why would you want to run Android apps on a Mac? Doesn't Mac already have a much better selection of quality apps than Android?

FlameofAnor
Jun 28, 2012, 02:03 AM
I don't really get this. Why would you want to run Android apps on a Mac? Doesn't Mac already have a much better selection of quality apps than Android?

I'll admit, that I too am perplexed by this. What "amazing" Android apps don't already have an iOS counterpart?

Apple Poptart
Jun 28, 2012, 02:06 AM
mmm k?
:confused:
Why do I need to run Android apps on my Mac?

I feel like I'm missing something here.

gorskiegangsta
Jun 28, 2012, 02:09 AM
I'll admit, that I too am perplexed by this. What "amazing" Android apps don't already have an iOS counterpart?

Not the point. The point is that you'll be able to run mobile apps on your desktop/laptop OS - something you cannot do with iOS apps. Whether it's at all productive or useful is a whole another argument.

Exotic-Car Man
Jun 28, 2012, 02:10 AM
Perhaps it could be used by developers. I know this isn't an Android simulator, but I could see it (maybe) coming in handy for devs. It seems like they would just use the Android simulator, though.

Ramsos
Jun 28, 2012, 02:11 AM
Hooray...........no thank you.

Siggen
Jun 28, 2012, 02:11 AM

Cross platform gaming, and access to Android only apps for your Mac. There are many apps for android I just wish I had on my Mac, and I have an Android phone, an iPhone, an iPad, a Mac and a PC.

TBH I almost only use my Mac/iPad/Android Phone, and next to never use my iPhone and my PC.

Minimoose 360
Jun 28, 2012, 02:12 AM
Well I think it's pretty cool. I'm not sure how the emulation works, but it could help developers maybe?

chrismarle
Jun 28, 2012, 02:13 AM
Great, enlarged phone apps. Just what I needed on my Mac.

a0me
Jun 28, 2012, 02:14 AM
Console emulators? Google apps? Flash Player? Task Manager?

faroZ06
Jun 28, 2012, 02:16 AM
Bringing apps that require a touch screen to a PC with a keyboard and mouse. Genius.

----------

There are Google apps on the iPhone. As for the emulators.... jailbreak :D:D

roadbloc
Jun 28, 2012, 02:16 AM
This is sorta useless for the consumer, for the dev, I have no idea. It's great they've got it working though.

faroZ06
Jun 28, 2012, 02:19 AM
I actually got Android for Intel processors running in VirtualBox. I think it was an outdated, illegit, Chinese edition though.

----------

It seems like it could only remotely be useful for games, and even the games already have PC versions anyway.

----------

This is sorta useless for the consumer, for the dev, I have no idea. It's great they've got it working though.

This reminds me of iOS Simulator, which I tried fruitlessly for hours to get Cube Runner onto.

gorskiegangsta
Jun 28, 2012, 02:19 AM
Great, enlarged phone apps. Just what I needed on my Mac.

No one says you "need" it, or that you have to download it. Some people might find it useful. Personally, I find it cool, in a nerdy sort of way ;)

tomtom2234
Jun 28, 2012, 02:22 AM
... What use is this? I have an iphone and an ipad...

JoEw
Jun 28, 2012, 02:26 AM
now I can run apps designed for touch input with my keyboard and mouse on my mac, just what I have been waiting for! :rolleyes:

Durendal
Jun 28, 2012, 02:31 AM
Isn't this already possible with Eclipse and the Android dev tools? They have an emulator that lets you run/debug software you're building in Eclipse. I can't imagine that it wouldn't let you install your own.

a0me
Jun 28, 2012, 02:32 AM
Bringing apps that require a touch screen to a PC with a keyboard and mouse. Genius.

----------

There are Google apps on the iPhone. As for the emulators.... jailbreak :D:D
Google apps for Android have many features that the iOS version don't have... which is perhaps to be expected.
As for jailbreaking, in my opinion the security/privacy concerns outweighs the added functionality.

MacGurl111
Jun 28, 2012, 02:33 AM

I'm no techy person but this was my first thought after reading the title. :D

There's more mac Apps than android and they're usually the first to come out then it becomes available for android. Is this not the case?

iMikeT
Jun 28, 2012, 02:36 AM
And what would be the purpose of running an app to run apps made for another platform on a platform where I can all ready get superior versions of the same apps?

faroZ06
Jun 28, 2012, 02:51 AM
Google apps for Android have many features that the iOS version don't have... which is perhaps to be expected.
As for jailbreaking, in my opinion the security/privacy concerns outweighs the added functionality.

Jailbreaking does not open any security or privacy holes, but the thing that just keeps me worried is how it installs stuff like MySQL when you jailbreak. Would that slow it down? I've jailbroken my iPhone and only installed a couple of emulators and Terminal, and it seems to be running just as well as before, but I'm still wondering.

The only Google app I've been annoyed with has been their Maps app and its lack of voice navigation. Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm talking about this. All Google services are available fully on the PC anyway.

----------

And what would be the purpose of running an app to run apps made for another platform on a platform where I can all ready get superior versions of the same apps?

I don't know, but I bet $20 that at least 1000 people will get this so they can use Flash on their Mac :rolleyes:
When the iPhone 4 first came out, 60% of the people surveyed thought it had 4G LTE.

urbanlung
Jun 28, 2012, 02:51 AM
This is all well and good but when am I join to be able to run my Nokia N95 apps on my Mac, want to be able to boot into Symbian.

batchtaster
Jun 28, 2012, 02:58 AM
Cross platform gaming, and access to Android only apps for your Mac. There are many apps for android I just wish I had on my Mac, and I have an Android phone, an iPhone, an iPad, a Mac and a PC.

Good luck playing those games without an accelerometer, digital compass, GPS and so forth.

malias4
Jun 28, 2012, 02:59 AM
now I can run apps designed for touch input with my keyboard and mouse on my mac, just what I have been waiting for! :rolleyes:

hehe exactly :) :D

jlnr
Jun 28, 2012, 03:01 AM
Nobody spotted WhatsApp? That's something I might have used on the desktop...if most people hadn't jumped ship already. But hey, pretty close to a use case for BlueStacks.

adamantpradeep
Jun 28, 2012, 03:06 AM
isn't most of the android apps riddled with spyware?

this is going to run on a java runtime I presume? which as it has own security layer is poorly designed. I have completely uninstalled java on my MBP and have never felt a need to use them.

400,000 doesn't make it sound great... most of them would be junk of course

ChazUK
Jun 28, 2012, 03:07 AM
isn't most of the android apps riddled with spyware?

http://www.bisaidso.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/facepalm_picard2.jpg

No. Just no.

ghettochris
Jun 28, 2012, 03:16 AM
This I could care less about, but is there any reason apple can't make ios apps run in osx? there is the simulator for developers, and even if it's cpu intensive emulation, the computer should be able to handle it.

Not that I'd use it too often, but it just seems stupid you can't double click on an app in itunes and open it.

a0me
Jun 28, 2012, 03:21 AM
Jailbreaking does not open any security or privacy holes,
Except for the worms targeting jailbroken iOS devices or the fact that the jaibroken apps haven't been reviewed by Apple for potential virus and privacy concerns.
The only Google app I've been annoyed with has been their Maps app and its lack of voice navigation. Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm talking about this. All Google services are available fully on the PC anyway.
Google Maps for Android has many features not available for iOS such as Indoor Maps, 3D Maps, Offline Mode and turn-by-turn GPS.
Hopefully Apple's own Maps app won't take too long to catch up to Google Maps feature wise.

jlnr
Jun 28, 2012, 03:28 AM
No. Just no.

Have you worked with any mobile ad SDK? Compared to "classic" desktop apps, at least every ad-powered mobile app is spyware. The same would be true for iOS apps of course.

akbarali.ch
Jun 28, 2012, 03:34 AM
Its great to hear that now you can run Android apps on mac. I wont don't need it is a different thing.
Thanks for the development though.

Dr. McKay
Jun 28, 2012, 03:35 AM
Does this mean that eventually, we'll be able to run apps from google's play store ?

simon the diver
Jun 28, 2012, 03:37 AM

yes that turn by turn GPS will come in real handy on my GPS-lacking Apple hardware - particularly so on the desktop machine

still, I'm sure some enterprising soul could always knock up a GPS dongle and special car seat belt for the 27inch iMac so you can take advantage of this :)

isoMorpheus
Jun 28, 2012, 03:40 AM
Pointless stupidity.

a0me
Jun 28, 2012, 03:51 AM
yes that turn by turn GPS will come in real handy on my GPS-lacking Apple hardware - particularly so on the desktop machine
I was comparing the features of the respective mobile apps, not their value emulated on a desktop computer.
Indoor Maps and Offline Mode would still be pretty cool for iMac and particularly MacBook models.

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 03:59 AM
This would be as pointless if it were for iOS applications. A Mac already has about every application under the sun you could want, and with its full browser and decent screen, web apps make up the bulk of what isn't there (native facebook kinda crap...).

boomish
Jun 28, 2012, 04:00 AM
Great 400,000 inferior clones of what I have on my iPad! and I don't even want those on my Mac..
What is wrong with manufacturers, they sometimes seem so out to sea with what their customers want sometimes, having not long got a new Mac Pro with Lion, is a good example, I mean what were Apple thinking removing so many features, that we have manulaly to replace, I simply don't get it.

SBlue1
Jun 28, 2012, 04:03 AM
Did they say why they are making this? :confused:

mac1984user
Jun 28, 2012, 04:13 AM
This seems pretty cool to me. There are a handful of Android Apps that simply do not exist on iOS that are actually pretty useful (a specific guitar chord app springs to mind, but there are others). Whether or not they will translate well to the MacBook Pro's trackpad is still left to be seen. Either way, it's kind of nice someone is working on this. I'd be quite happy to see the same done for iOS, but THAT will never happen.

Winni
Jun 28, 2012, 04:18 AM
I actually got Android for Intel processors running in VirtualBox. I think it was an outdated, illegit, Chinese edition though.

Can't be illegit. Android is Open Source, you know.

That being said, it's cool that somebody works on a product that allows me to run my Android software on my Mac. That's the beauty of open platforms: You CAN do something like this. People who use Android devices WILL find uses for this. And if Apple allowed you to run your iOS apps on OS X, the iOS users here would quickly shut up and instead try to find uses for that feature, too.

----------

Does this mean that eventually, we'll be able to run apps from google's play store ?

I would think so. They won't sell those 400,000 apps themselves.

----------

Did Erik the red say why he wanted to discover America? And why did people decide to go to the moon?

colour
Jun 28, 2012, 04:22 AM

Whatsapp ! This was out before iMessage and a great app ! This is really good news imo, I think android has a lot to offer that apple doesn't, now you can run windows, apple and android on your mac talk about one stop shop !

CortoMaltese
Jun 28, 2012, 04:56 AM
I see this being useful for a developer, quickly checking compatibility of a cross platform app.
And for general users, well perhaps occasionally. There are bound to be at least a handful highly useful android apps without proper equivalent.

entropys
Jun 28, 2012, 05:15 AM

Because they can.

Some people build lego versions of the death star...
Some people go to scifi conventions dressed as Spock...
Some people get excited about extreme sport....
Others get to have sex with random strangers on a frequent basis.

One or two people have to settle for making android emulators.

stephen1108
Jun 28, 2012, 05:20 AM
Now when there's a jailbreak tweak for running Android apps, THEN I'll be interested.

rusty2192
Jun 28, 2012, 05:27 AM

I believe the PC version does have access to Google Play. This is the main reason I am interested in this. My wife has a Kindle Fire, which only has access to the Amazon App Store, not Google Play. There are definitely more apps available from Google than Amazon. You can side load any apps you want onto the Fire, but I just don't trust downloading apps from random sites around the web. Who knows what kind of malware has been added. If I can get access to Google Play with Bluestacks, then I can get the .APK legitimately and then side load it onto the Fire.

KieranDotW
Jun 28, 2012, 05:52 AM
A Netflix app might be nice once it's opened up to Google Play, but it still seems pretty inconvenient having to open the emulator just to open another app. What I need is a one-click solution right from the launchpad.

kiljoy616
Jun 28, 2012, 05:56 AM
mmm k?

Because you can't run iOS on them. ;)

----------

Forgive us oh great God of Mac we did not know all things are about you and your big head.:rolleyes:

Dave00
Jun 28, 2012, 06:01 AM
Yeah, this is pretty much a file under "don't care."

Now, if an iOS emulator came to Android, that would be a real worry for Apple (though not necessarily for consumers) since that's the one thing that really preserves their market dominance. Even if there's an Android device that I like better, the lack of iOS apps makes it a non-starter.

Dave

Jessica Lares
I believe the PC version does have access to Google Play. This is the main reason I am interested in this. My wife has a Kindle Fire, which only has access to the Amazon App Store, not Google Play. There are definitely more apps available from Google than Amazon. You can side load any apps you want onto the Fire, but I just don't trust downloading apps from random sites around the web. Who knows what kind of malware has been added. If I can get access to Google Play with Bluestacks, then I can get the .APK legitimately and then side load it onto the Fire.

No, the PC version doesn't have access to Google Play either. You can root it to install it though.

whooleytoo
This thread makes me feel old! I remember paying for magazines just to get a cover floppy with a handful of Mac apps on it, but now there are so many Mac apps out there we don't need any more? Wow.

Maybe we're iNstitutionalised. We just can't handle choice any more. ;)

This I could care less about, but is there any reason apple can't make ios apps run in osx? there is the simulator for developers, and even if it's cpu intensive emulation, the computer should be able to handle it.

Not that I'd use it too often, but it just seems stupid you can't double click on an app in itunes and open it.

I believe the iOS apps are built for Intel architecture when running in the simulator; it doesn't run ARM executables. So you wouldn't be able to download an app from the App Store and run it on the simulator. Still, it's something that could be written.

Datalinks
Jun 28, 2012, 06:03 AM
I would very much like to run iOS apps on my mac instead...

ogee
Jun 28, 2012, 06:12 AM
Cool….but why ?

BTW anyone know of an app so I can run OS X programs on my Atari ST ?

:D:D:D:D:D

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 06:42 AM
And if Apple allowed you to run your iOS apps on OS X, the iOS users here would quickly shut up and instead try to find uses for that feature, too.

If Apple did, as an iOS user that said this Android stuff is useless, you'd know what I'd say ? I'd say it was equally as useless. Aside from games, there is no real value in running smartphone/tablet "apps" on a full desktop that has more full featured software already available for it natively or through web applications.

Don't generalize please.

----------

Now, if an iOS emulator came to Android

You technically wouldn't need an emulator to run ARM iOS code on ARM Android. Emulation comes into the game when you need to translate the machine code from one architecture to another.

Technically, what Android would need is an implementation of the Objective-C runtime in order to launch bundles and an implementation of the Foundation (already exists, it is known as GNUStep. It also includes much of Cocoa, though not 100% OS X/iOS compatible) and UIKit frameworks.

Just like the iOS simulator does not emulate any ARM machine, when you build an iOS application on a Mac and run it on the simulator, you're running a x86 built binary, linked to the OS X frameworks.

----------

I believe the iOS apps are built for Intel architecture when running in the simulator; it doesn't run ARM executables. So you wouldn't be able to download an app from the App Store and run it on the simulator. Still, it's something that could be written.

Yep, that's how it is. The simulator "simulates" an iOS environnement on x86 and using OS X's frameworks.

----------

I would very much like to run iOS apps on my mac instead...

What for ? Which app is missing on OS X that is available on iOS ? :confused:

Popeye206
Jun 28, 2012, 06:48 AM
This seems totally useless. What were they thinking? :rolleyes:

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 06:50 AM
This seems totally useless. What were they thinking? :rolleyes:

Rising up to the challenge. We all do useless stuff all the time, just for the fun of it. If all you ever did had to be useful to somebody or even yourself, your life would be pretty boring.

Jessica Lares
Jun 28, 2012, 06:53 AM
Figured it out myself, hahahaha.

You need the Android SDK beforehand.

Open Terminal

adb install PATH-TO-APK

Done.

No rooting or hacking required really. Some things aren't installing though. Amazon App Store gave me [INSTALL_FAILED_CPU_ABI_INCOMPATIBLE].

Here's Flipboard for laughs.

http://f.cl.ly/items/2F011J2f3P112H1O072D/flipboard.tiff

:rolleyes:

dedalus
Jun 28, 2012, 06:55 AM
Does this mean i can finally watch flash webistes on the ipad without puffin or photon?

JayMysterio
Jun 28, 2012, 06:57 AM
I'll go out on a limb here and point out the obvious to those not trapped in the bubble...

Maybe there are Mac owners who use Android phones? :eek:

If I recall, it isn't a requirement for those who own a Mac to have to own an iPhone, and it isn't a requirement of Android phone users to own a PC. To those that own a Mac & use an Android product it might be nice to have a desktop version of a particular app. Example; Whatsapp available on your desktop when you are home or the office and want to use your keyboard to text instead of the phone.

I'm guessing that is one possibility.

needthephone
Jun 28, 2012, 07:02 AM
Why???

Wouldn't even want to run android apps on my iPhone/ipad

adder7712
Jun 28, 2012, 07:02 AM
I'll go out on a limb here and point out the obvious to those not trapped in the bubble...

Maybe there are Mac owners who use Android phones? :eek:

If I recall, it isn't a requirement for those who own a Mac to have to own an iPhone, and it isn't a requirement of Android phone users to own a PC. To those that own a Mac & use an Android product it might be nice to have a desktop version of a particular app. Example; Whatsapp available on your desktop when you are home or the office and want to use your keyboard to text instead of the phone.

I'm guessing that is one possibility. I'm one of those Mac users that opted for an Android phone over an iPhone.

I'd say your PC choice shouldn't dictate your choice of mobile platform. :)

Anyway, concerning the app, why would you want to run phone apps (except for dev purposes) on a computer? I have a phone for that and would probably run them better too. I wouldn't mind WhatsApp though.

Also, this thread shows how uninformed some Mac users of the other side of the fence. Not all Android apps are riddled with malware. :rolleyes:

whooleytoo
Jun 28, 2012, 07:06 AM

Given that there are maybe 500,000 iOS apps, I'd guess there are a LOT of iOS apps that don't have OS X equivalents. ;) Admittedly, many wouldn't work (no gyroscope, GPS, back facing camera, 'flashlight' etc.) or would have limited utility; and there's a limit to how many fart apps we need on OSX.

Still, if you could - say - play iOS/Android games on a bigger screen (maybe with Mountain Lion Airplay to a ATV), and all the while multi-tasking with other apps or OSX applications, I'd find that quite useful & entertaining.

p.s. Now all we need is a Mac emulator for the iPad, and the circle is nearly complete!

samcraig
Jun 28, 2012, 07:08 AM

Thought of one and only one that people might use if the Mac had an iOS emulator.

iBooks.

But I'm not one to read books on my computer anyway. But that's one App on the iPhone/iPad that has no counter on the Mac because iBooks are proprietary to iOS.

Kaibelf
Jun 28, 2012, 07:13 AM
This is like ordering a fine steak, and then asking for ketchup.

timmodugdale
Jun 28, 2012, 07:15 AM

Um, I think I"m missing something, but maybe I'm wrong. You are on a Mac with a fully functional browser capable of connecting to the web-based Google Apps. Why do you need or want to use a mobile version on your Mac when you can use the "real thing" in a browser? I am not sure, but I doubt the mobile version has features that the web-based version doesn't. True?

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 07:17 AM
Does this mean i can finally watch flash webistes on the ipad without puffin or photon?

The iPad isn't a Mac.

----------

Thought of one and only one that people might use if the Mac had an iOS emulator.

iBooks.

But I'm not one to read books on my computer anyway. But that's one App on the iPhone/iPad that has no counter on the Mac because iBooks are proprietary to iOS.

Which is the number reason to not use iBooks at all if you ask me. ;)

Kindle is so much more ubiquitous.

Takeo
Jun 28, 2012, 07:18 AM
Why?

knightlie
Jun 28, 2012, 07:19 AM
Technically interesting, I suppose (presumably they used the necessary parts of the Android codebase). But bloated, unstable, ad-supported and generally naff phone apps isn't something I feel my Mac is missing.

Having said that, my Android phone is such a piece of junk, it may be intriguing to actually see those apps running on a platform that doesn't suck.

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 07:20 AM
Given that there are maybe 500,000 iOS apps, I'd guess there are a LOT of iOS apps that don't have OS X equivalents. ;) Admittedly, many wouldn't work (no gyroscope, GPS, back facing camera, 'flashlight' etc.) or would have limited utility; and there's a limit to how many fart apps we need on OSX.

That's the point though, what apps are missing from OS X. 500,000 iOS apps that offer all unique functionality not found on a Mac already ?

Still, if you could - say - play iOS/Android games

And I covered that. I did say games would be the only reason really, and even that, just games that are Android/iOS exclusives.

EEXOOO
Jun 28, 2012, 07:22 AM
Initially I thought I could have a "desktop" version of Whatsapp, then I realized that you can't have 2 devices (with the same number) verified at the same time -_-

samcraig
Jun 28, 2012, 07:26 AM

I agree. But you did question what app is available on iOS that isn't on the Mac. My answer was strictly factual ;)

hstaniloff
Jun 28, 2012, 07:31 AM
This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Why in the world would I want to run Android apps on my Mac? Maybe if I'm a developer for Android apps - along with iOS apps - then maybe. But other than that, I can't see a Mac user playing with Android apps on their Mac.
It seems like sometimes people create things just to say they can do it without any rhyme-or-reason as to what purpose it would serve.

Bubba Satori
iAngst, the breakfast of champions.

samcraig
Initially I thought I could have a "desktop" version of Whatsapp, then I realized that you can't have 2 devices (with the same number) verified at the same time -_-

Well further - unless you do some workaround - you can't use WhatsApp without a phone number associated with it to route the messages. So how would that work on a computer (easily) ?

Macclone
Jun 28, 2012, 07:33 AM

TBH I almost only use my Mac/iPad/Android Phone, and next to never use my iPhone and my PC.

Name five.

christophermdia
Jun 28, 2012, 07:37 AM
i downloaded this just to use the whatsapp messenger. I have friends who send me messages on my phone through there all the time, but I am spoiled by the messages app to txt from my mac. Just last night I was thinking, why dont they make whatsapp a mac app! so here it is somewhat:) I think this will also be useful for an app I used to use with an android tab called Torque for my car. Torque + MBA 11 would be amazing!

samcraig
Jun 28, 2012, 07:40 AM
This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Why in the world would I want to run Android apps on my Mac? Maybe if I'm a developer for Android apps - along with iOS apps - then maybe. But other than that, I can't see a Mac user playing with Android apps on their Mac.
It seems like sometimes people create things just to say they can do it without any rhyme-or-reason as to what purpose it would serve.

Let me ask you this, oh smart one. Do you believe that anyone that owns a Mac would not own or have use for Android apps/etc? Because it sounds to me like you believe that Mac users would only be interested in something like this if it ran iOS apps. I'm not trying to introduce a strawman argument. But that's how your post came across.

drnycallstar19
Jun 28, 2012, 07:41 AM
For those people that have downloaded this and are using whatsapp, how exaftly does it work? As far as I know it whatsapl works with a phone number. So do ur messages get recieved to both ur phone and Mac?

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 07:43 AM
I agree. But you did question what app is available on iOS that isn't on the Mac. My answer was strictly factual ;)

I should have stated I meant functionality though. App availability of course you can find examples, but in the end, it's the task that the app performs that crucial, not the actual app itself.

----------

Maybe if I'm a developer for Android apps - along with iOS apps - then maybe.

People keep saying that, yet all the SDKs already come with simlators.

phillipduran
Jun 28, 2012, 07:47 AM

/thread

It's like making an adapter to put Schwinn tires on your Ferrari. :rolleyes:

kurosov
Jun 28, 2012, 07:47 AM

There are far more useful emulators available natively on mac, access to everything google and full access to flash in any browser you like.

What would you want with a sandboxed task manager on a desktop OS? it would only be able to manage the emulated apps if at all.

This is not android apps on iOS but OS X.

If it was android apps on iOS i can only find one useful app atm and that would be OnLive. The greatly touted iOS version is still in limbo.

And if Apple allowed you to run your iOS apps on OS X, the iOS users here would quickly shut up and instead try to find uses for that feature, too.

No. It would still be useless. all the best iOS software has a native desktop counterpart as long as hardware permits.

Bezetos
Jun 28, 2012, 07:48 AM
Lol, how can you compare a selection of apps available for a desktop computer with apps available for a mobile phone?

spooky2k
Jun 28, 2012, 07:49 AM

This is for Mac OS, not iOS. So all those things you listed already have more functional counterparts on the Mac.

JohnDoe98
Jun 28, 2012, 07:55 AM

iBooks.

Though I rather read on my iPad, it would be nice to sometimes be able to load up the epub on the Mac to quickly check a reference. Apple really should enable preview to open our epubs.

phillipduran
Jun 28, 2012, 08:01 AM
When the iPhone 4 first came out, 60% of the people surveyed thought it had 4G LTE.

Can't blame them. This naming convention for phone generations and the cellular network naming conventions causes a lot of confusion. 2g, 3g, edge, 4g, 4g LTE. Will the 5g phones have faster data speeds than my old 4g with lte is what people will be saying next. After all, it is 5g, that's faster than 4g rite?

It's like using iI1lLoO0s5S characters in those stupid captcha things or passwords and license codes. :rolleyes:

JohnDoe98
Jun 28, 2012, 08:02 AM

I don't like iBooks all that much either, but frankly it's functionality is much better than the Kindle and Google Books alternatives on the iPad. Last time I checked neither of those alternatives lets you open up your pdfs and epubs from other stores. iBooks doesn't have that great handling of pdfs, but at least it is possible to load up your pdfs and non-drmed epubs into it. Even the advanced PDF readers typically don't handle epubs all that well. Anyway, all this to say the book handling on the iOS and OS X environment lacks interoperability.

Preview should be able to open all epubs, and ibooks should add the advanced features in Preview so that there is a single App that can handle all our needs. This is my biggest frustration with the Apple ecosystem as it's currently implemented. One would have thought with all this iOS influence in OS X, iBooks would have made an appearance in ML. I guess there is always next year.

Plus, iCloud ought to push all our books and changes, not only for those purchased on the iTunes store.

hexx
Jun 28, 2012, 08:06 AM
don't want that **** on my mac :apple:

neroroxxx
Jun 28, 2012, 08:20 AM
YES!!!! AMAZING!!!! now i can run ugly, unstable, cheaply made apps on my mac! oh my!

wovel
Jun 28, 2012, 08:24 AM
Name five.

Or even 1.

whooleytoo
Jun 28, 2012, 08:24 AM
That's the point though, what apps are missing from OS X. 500,000 iOS apps that offer all unique functionality not found on a Mac already ?

Without trawling through hundreds of thousands of apps, I can't easily answer that question. :)

But I can think of several reasons why an Android/iOS simulator could be very useful to some people:

- Try before you buy. Try out apps before you buy an Android/iOS device.
- Present iOS/Android content on a bigger screen, capture & record it maybe.
- iOS/Android multi-tasking.
- iOS/Android with a physical keyboard! Maybe - if the simulator is clever enough - with built-in keyboard shortcuts for copy & paste etc.
- Keep using your apps while your new iPad is in it's torturous charge cycle ;)

aajeev
Jun 28, 2012, 08:30 AM
i downloaded this just to use the whatsapp messenger. I have friends who send me messages on my phone through there all the time, but I am spoiled by the messages app to txt from my mac. Just last night I was thinking, why dont they make whatsapp a mac app! so here it is somewhat:) I think this will also be useful for an app I used to use with an android tab called Torque for my car. Torque + MBA 11 would be amazing!

Same here, for those who has a good amount of friends/relative overseas. Whatsapp is a must, sure you can use iMessage but since it can't guarantee all the time that your message will go through data, whatsapp is a safer bet. Also, whatsapp is cross platform. I might just give this a try over the weekend.

mono1980
Jun 28, 2012, 08:30 AM
Why would I want to run an Android version of Facebook or Twitter on my Mac? Most of these apps are totally pointless and inferior to the iOS or Mac version. Of course, there are probably some Android apps that I would like to check out, so this can only be good news. I just can't think of any at the moment.

Lgreer
Jun 28, 2012, 08:38 AM

This comment wins.

charlituna
Jun 28, 2012, 08:38 AM

I rather felt the same way. Why would you want to run a phone app on your computer.

I could see it as perhaps a development tool but that's it

IvoAndre
Jun 28, 2012, 08:40 AM
Why someone would like to have Android App's on Mac??

jclardy
Jun 28, 2012, 08:45 AM

Those are valid in an iOS vs android debate, but why would you ever run any of those on your Mac?

Console emulators would have an extra layer of emulation on top of the console emulation that a native emulator doesn't have. Google apps are all built for touch, flash player can already be embedded and there would be absolutely no use for an android task manager on a Mac.

Even games would be useless, as they don't have keyboard/mouse controls.

a0me
Jun 28, 2012, 08:45 AM
This is for Mac OS, not iOS. So all those things you listed already have more functional counterparts on the Mac.

----------

There are far more useful emulators available natively on mac, access to everything google and full access to flash in any browser you like.

What would you want with a sandboxed task manager on a desktop OS? it would only be able to manage the emulated apps if at all.

This is not android apps on iOS but OS X.

If it was android apps on iOS i can only find one useful app atm and that would be OnLive. The greatly touted iOS version is still in limbo.
Looks like I should have added the sarcasm tag.

Bubba Satori
Jun 28, 2012, 08:46 AM
Why someone would like to have Android App's on Mac??

Why didn't somebody think of asking this before? :confused:

Is there an app for that? :cool:

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 08:47 AM
Without trawling through hundreds of thousands of apps, I can't easily answer that question. :)

But I can think of several reasons why an Android/iOS simulator could be very useful to some people:

None of which are truely good reasons.

- Try before you buy. Try out apps before you buy an Android/iOS device.

I buy my phone for its capabilities as a phone. And how would you try out the apps if you can't buy them ? Piracy ? Might as well just pirate them directly to a device that can run them.

- Present iOS/Android content on a bigger screen, capture & record it maybe.

Both iOS and Android can already stream the display over the air or use HDMI to have their content displayed on a bigger screen. But then again, just use native ways to get "content" on your bigger screen.

- iOS/Android multi-tasking.

Hum... I don't even understand what you mean here. iOS/Android are both multi-tasking OSes and you'd be running it on OS X, a multi-tasking OS. What multi-tasking are you open to achieve here that you can't with proper OS X software ?

- iOS/Android with a physical keyboard! Maybe - if the simulator is clever enough - with built-in keyboard shortcuts for copy & paste etc.

Both OSes already support physical keyboards. No need to emulate apps on OS X for that. And again, why not just use OS X applications ? What advantage is there to running the software with a physical keyboard if you can get the same tasks done already with OS X software ?

- Keep using your apps while your new iPad is in it's torturous charge cycle ;)

The iPad works with a wire coming out of it. You can use apps while it charges. But again, if you're going to sit down on your Mac while your iPad is charging, why limit yourself to iOS/Android applications ? Doesn't even start to make sense...

a0me
Jun 28, 2012, 08:48 AM
Um, I think I"m missing something, but maybe I'm wrong. You are on a Mac with a fully functional browser capable of connecting to the web-based Google Apps. Why do you need or want to use a mobile version on your Mac when you can use the "real thing" in a browser? I am not sure, but I doubt the mobile version has features that the web-based version doesn't. True?
As far as I know, Indoor Maps and Offline Mode are only available in Google Maps for Android.

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 08:51 AM
As far as I know, Indoor Maps and Offline Mode are only available in Google Maps for Android.

Indoor maps are available in the web application. Offline mode... why would you need that on a Mac ? :confused: That's what your cellphone/GPS unit is for.

mjtomlin
Jun 28, 2012, 08:53 AM
Example; Whatsapp available on your desktop when you are home or the office and want to use your keyboard to text instead of the phone.

I understand you were just making an example, but...

If I'm at home, why wouldn't I just connect my keyboard to my phone then?

M.a.r.k.
Jun 28, 2012, 08:53 AM
downloaded to give WhatsApp on the desktop a try. Right now I'm at the "Waiting to automatically detect an SMS sent to .." screen.

I'm not really sure if this will work. I already have that number associated with WhatsApp on my phone.

Anybody able to use the same number on iPhone and BlueStacks?

I understand you were just making an example, but...

If I'm at home, why wouldn't I just connect my keyboard to my phone then?

can't hit "send" from the external keyboard, that's one of the reasons for me

barkomatic
Jun 28, 2012, 08:59 AM
If the emulator worked on an iPad it might be useful. Google Maps is far better on Android -- but that's really the only one I'd like to be able to use.

drnycallstar19
Jun 28, 2012, 09:00 AM
downloaded to give WhatsApp on the desktop a try. Right now I'm at the "Waiting to automatically detect an SMS sent to .." screen.

I'm not really sure if this will work. I already have that number associated with WhatsApp on my phone.

Anybody able to use the same number on iPhone and BlueStacks?

can't hit "send" from the external keyboard, that's one of the reasons for me

I already tried it. It won't work. Apparently whatsapp won't work on more then one device at a time. When you activate one the other one stops working.

shartypants
Jun 28, 2012, 09:04 AM
Q: Why would anyone want to run Android apps?

samcraig
Jun 28, 2012, 09:07 AM
Q: Why would anyone want to run Android apps?

Why would anyone repost a question that several others already posted?

Mak47
Jun 28, 2012, 09:10 AM
Hey, this is pretty cool for the six people that will use it.

mabaker
Jun 28, 2012, 09:11 AM
Now even Mac users will be able to see what a huge bloated mess the Android apps are. Brilliant.

lzyprson
Jun 28, 2012, 09:12 AM
No thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

whooleytoo
Jun 28, 2012, 09:13 AM
None of which are truely good reasons.

...to you. Ok, I get that. Then you shouldn't use this simulator. I'm not a salesman trying to get you to use BlueStacks, I'm pointing out what I and others might find useful about it. There is no "wrong".

I buy my phone for its capabilities as a phone. And how would you try out the apps if you can't buy them ? Piracy ? Might as well just pirate them directly to a device that can run them.

The point is, you can try apps without having a device; free apps or lite/freemium versions. So if you hear about a great app on another platform, you can try it out. In what way is that a bad idea?

Both iOS and Android can already stream the display over the air or use HDMI to have their content displayed on a bigger screen. But then again, just use native ways to get "content" on your bigger screen.

And for capturing and recording, and editing, it would be useful to have it directly on a Mac/PC. Perhaps not useful for you, but you aren't everybody. ;)

Hum... I don't even understand what you mean here. iOS/Android are both multi-tasking OSes and you'd be running it on OS X, a multi-tasking OS. What multi-tasking are you open to achieve here that you can't with proper OS X software ?

As in having two apps open and visible at the same time. So, playing a game, and having a video stream in another app. You can't do it that with iOS, and I doubt if you can with Android. Sure, you can with OSX, but this app could let you do more with your existing iOS apps. Again, in what way is that a bad thing?

Both OSes already support physical keyboards. No need to emulate apps on OS X for that. And again, why not just use OS X applications ? What advantage is there to running the software with a physical keyboard if you can get the same tasks done already with OS X software ?

Yes, but you already have a keyboard in your Mac/PC, why buy another one, and have to carry that around too, and batteries for it? Having a physical keyboard (without the awkwardness of carrying around another physical device) could make iOS/Android usage a lot easier.

An repeat after me: iOS/Android apps are not just sad, pathetic imitations of OSX apps. :) If you don't want to use BlueStacks, fine. But don't argue it's of no use to anyone.

The iPad works with a wire coming out of it. You can use apps while it charges. But again, if you're going to sit down on your Mac while your iPad is charging, why limit yourself to iOS/Android applications ? Doesn't even start to make sense...

A very short wire, which means sitting by the power socket or trailing an extension cord to your seat. And, IIRC, the new iPad might stop charging depending on the power draw.

mrgraff
Jun 28, 2012, 09:15 AM
Because they can.

LEGO death star... CHECK
dressed as Spock... CHECK (OK, I was a Bajoran actually)
extreme sports... CHECK (I guess they're cool)
frequent random sex... WORKING ON IT

ThunderSkunk
Jun 28, 2012, 09:25 AM
I've been looking forward to this since iPhone 1. ...but with iOS apps. All your information should be available on both devices, at your fingertips, regardless of which device you're on, and the data sync'd between them automatically. Make em show up as Dashboard widgets, I don't care.

Working on an inkpad drawing on the iPad, get back to the office, continue working on it at the desktop and be able to copy parts of it into CAD & Illustrator etc as needed, without going through a lengthy & tedious export & transfer process & winding up with a pile of copies in different places in different formats.

Like what iCloud aspires to do, but can't, until every iOS dev also writes a separate OS X version of their app and builds iCloud support in. Tons of work, not practical, not going to happen.

trip1ex
Jun 28, 2012, 09:26 AM
Throw mud, ..er tech at the wall and see what sticks

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 09:44 AM
...to you. Ok, I get that. Then you shouldn't use this simulator. I'm not a salesman trying to get you to use BlueStacks, I'm pointing out what I and others might find useful about it. There is no "wrong".

No, but you fail to provide any insight into why you need the keyboards/display streaming/multi-tasking. You just say that enables those things for iOS/Android apps, not what you need the apps for exactly.

That's the point, OS X and Windows have very mature application ecosystems that pretty much cover any computing tasks you could want to perform. What functionality is missing that is found only in iOS/Android apps ?

Why would I use iSSH on my Mac when I have OpenSSH/TightVNC ? Why would I use the Facebook app when I can open a full browser ? Why would I use iOS mail when I have OS X mail.app ?

Etc.. etc..

The point is, you can try apps without having a device; free apps or lite/freemium versions. So if you hear about a great app on another platform, you can try it out. In what way is that a bad idea?

Because it's piracy. This thing has no access to Google Play. You'd still need to pirate the app. So you're saying this is a good piracy tool ? I don't get it. You can't try apps with this unless the developer offers the APK to anyone already.

And for capturing and recording, and editing, it would be useful to have it directly on a Mac/PC. Perhaps not useful for you, but you aren't everybody. ;)

Hum.. HDMI to your video capture card ? What am I missing here ? Not to mention, at least you get to capture, record and edit something that's actually useful, ie, running the app on the device using all the device's capabilities that your Mac doesn't have (accelerometer, GPS, etc..).

As in having two apps open and visible at the same time. So, playing a game, and having a video stream in another app. You can't do it that with iOS, and I doubt if you can with Android. Sure, you can with OSX, but this app could let you do more with your existing iOS apps. Again, in what way is that a bad thing?

What iOS apps do you want to multi-task ? What tasks are you trying to accomplish side by side that requires iOS apps to begin with ? :confused:

That's the whole issue... If I want to see my e-mail while playing a game, I have OS X games and an OS X mail application, I don't need iOS/Android apps for that. I'll just use the OS X equivalents.

That's what as me quite dubious of the utility of this.

Yes, but you already have a keyboard in your Mac/PC, why buy another one, and have to carry that around too, and batteries for it? Having a physical keyboard (without the awkwardness of carrying around another physical device) could make iOS/Android usage a lot easier.

But if you're on your Mac, what iOS/Android app are you looking to use that you can't just use the native Mac counterpart ?

An repeat after me: iOS/Android apps are not just sad, pathetic imitations of OSX apps. :) If you don't want to use BlueStacks, fine. But don't argue it's of no use to anyone.

What app don't you already have on your Mac ? What functionality is missing ? Whatsapp ? iBooks ? Macs have tons of messenging apps and eBook apps.

A very short wire, which means sitting by the power socket or trailing an extension cord to your seat. And, IIRC, the new iPad might stop charging depending on the power draw.

Plug it into your Mac ? You're sitting down on the Mac to use it... for what anyway ?

Again, "using iOS apps" means trying to get a task accomplished. What task requires iOS/Android apps that can't be done with native software or from the browser with a web app already ?

That's the point. When I'm on my Mac, using any of my iPhone applications is the last thing I want to do.

Wicked1
Jun 28, 2012, 09:47 AM

Yep +1

Next they will find a way to run Palm OS apps on a Mac :eek:

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 09:48 AM
Working on an inkpad drawing on the iPad [...] be able to copy parts of it into CAD & Illustrator etc as needed, without going through a lengthy & tedious export & transfer process

Inkpad on iPad supports Dropbox. What's lenghty & tedious about that ? Any sync process would be the same, regardless of the app you use on OS X, you'd have a sync step.

That's why this is a non-solution, If I'm going to sync the device to work on my Mac, I'll then use full-featured Mac software, not limited InkPad for iPad to do vector graphics.

a.gomez
Jun 28, 2012, 10:03 AM
wow did people even download it?... you really have to be stupid or have your head in the sand not to see the benefits of cross platform Apps. Regardless if Apps are ready or not, the tech is introduced and software comes after. For an Alpha it is well set up.

The dumbing down of the Apple community by iOS is just rampent

HatterZero
Jun 28, 2012, 10:08 AM
I can't wait for the beta version, I will be able to play games with my friends from my computer. I have big hands and it annoys me to play games on my phone. I.E. words with friends and others.

ThunderSkunk
Jun 28, 2012, 10:13 AM
Inkpad on iPad supports Dropbox. What's lenghty & tedious about that ? Any sync process would be the same, regardless of the app you use on OS X, you'd have a sync step.

That's why this is a non-solution, If I'm going to sync the device to work on my Mac, I'll then use full-featured Mac software, not limited InkPad for iPad to do vector graphics.

Ok, to focus in on this example,

open ink pad and draw something.
Those bezier lines are stored in .inkpad format, kept locally on your iPad.
Now export a copy to dropbox in .svg format
This copy is no longer linked to what your locally using on iPad.
Now open that .svg in Illustrator, because Inkpad isn't available on OS X.
Now look it over and find which parts didn't import right and redraw them.
Now make a tweak to this shape, and go through all this over again backwards to get that tweak back to your design on your iPad.

vs.

On iPad, open inkpad, draw something.
(sync's via cloud, wifi, or cable)
On OS X, open inkpad, there it is! View or copy/paste as necessary.

Much simpler.

If you're going to carry a MBP and wacom around with you everywhere you go, I'm going to get a lot more done than you are.

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 10:15 AM
wow did people even download it?... you really have to be stupid or have your head in the sand not to see the benefits of cross platform Apps. Regardless if Apps are ready or not, the tech is introduced and software comes after. For an Alpha it is well set up.

The dumbing down of the Apple community by iOS is just rampent

Wait, running Android apps on Mac is some kind of advanced feat of computing ? :confused: OS X apps aren't as advanced and anyone not understanding the utility of running Android apps on a Mac is "dumbed down by iOS" ? :rolleyes:

Bubba Satori
Jun 28, 2012, 10:16 AM
Why would anyone repost a question that several others already posted?

:D

My work is done here. ;)

SBlue1
Jun 28, 2012, 10:22 AM
Because they can.

ah ok, but there is no real need for this? i thought i was missing something. :)

whooleytoo
Jun 28, 2012, 10:22 AM
That's the point, OS X and Windows have very mature application ecosystems that pretty much cover any computing tasks you could want to perform. What functionality is missing that is found only in iOS/Android apps ?

Why would I use iSSH on my Mac when I have OpenSSH/TightVNC ? Why would I use the Facebook app when I can open a full browser ? Why would I use iOS mail when I have OS X mail.app ?

Etc.. etc..

You're working on the flawed assumption that everyone will always want to use an OSX app over its iOS equivalent. That may be true a lot of the time, but it's one hell of a sweeping assertion.

Why would I buy video capture cards or bluetooth keyboards, when a simulator like this could achieve the same thing cheaper? You really are going out of your way to argue it's of no use to anyone, when in truth you're just revealing a strong personal preference.

App would be far more useful than - say - Dashboard widgets, which are integrated prominently into OS X. I'd love to be able to pull up an iOS/Android simulator instead, for a quick gaming session or to use a remote app which isn't available on OS X, or to enter some text into an app which I also have on my mobile device. In what perverse universe can I be "wrong" in that preference?

s15119
Jun 28, 2012, 10:42 AM
Why? And how does this get front page?

faroZ06
Jun 28, 2012, 10:56 AM
Except for the worms targeting jailbroken iOS devices or the fact that the jaibroken apps haven't been reviewed by Apple for potential virus and privacy concerns.

Are you talking about the SSH thing? That was because people installed OpenSSH and left the password as "alpine", the default. And the act of jailbreaking itself does not install any apps. Just be careful what apps you install. The emulators I have and Terminal can't really have security holes unless they are deliberate trojans.

oliversl
Jun 28, 2012, 10:57 AM
Now I feel complete! Just kidding

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 10:59 AM
Are you talking about the SSH thing? That was because people installed OpenSSH and left the password as "alpine", the default.

So jailbreaking did open a security hole in that case. ;) If the device hadn't been jailbroken, there would have been no exposed remote access with "alpine" as the default password.

faroZ06
Jun 28, 2012, 11:06 AM
So jailbreaking did open a security hole in that case. ;) If the device hadn't been jailbroken, there would have been no exposed remote access with "alpine" as the default password.

No, because SSH was enabled by users installing an app (well actually nothing with GUI) after jailbreaking. The app was on Cydia and still is but with warnings to change the password now. By the way, Apple actually set that default password. I know because my cousin and I jailbroke his iPod touch 2nd gen using Terminal back in the day.

Sackvillenb
Jun 28, 2012, 11:06 AM
Cool! Even though this wouldn't have any real practical purpose for me, but it would still be fun to have access to Android apps, just to mess around... Glad someone thought of this...

faroZ06
Jun 28, 2012, 11:10 AM
Now all we need is a Mac OS X emulator on Android... Then you might guess what I'm thinking.

http://everyboty.net/shared/emotipix/silly/yo%20dawg%20-%20dog%20-%20xzhibit.png

faroZ06
Jun 28, 2012, 11:26 AM
Cool! Even though this wouldn't have any real practical purpose for me, but it would still be fun to have access to Android apps, just to mess around... Glad someone thought of this...

I see you're rooting for that 37" iMac still :)

ChazUK
Jun 28, 2012, 11:28 AM
Now all we need is a Mac OS X emulator on Android... Then you might guess what I'm thinking.

Image (http://everyboty.net/shared/emotipix/silly/yo%20dawg%20-%20dog%20-%20xzhibit.png)

You dawg, I made an emulator for your emulator so you can emulate while you emulate?:D

whooleytoo
Jun 28, 2012, 11:33 AM
Maybe I was wrong... ;)

After running the simulator and quitting, I noticed I have 30+ extra processes called uHD-Pal (and a half dozen others with similar names), and this is when the simulator isn't running. One of them is consuming 20% of the CPU.

Hmmm. I can't be certain these were part of the BlueStacks install, but I'm sure I would have noticed these previously.

a0me
Jun 28, 2012, 11:52 AM
Indoor maps are available in the web application.
Link? Google seems to think they're only available on Android: http://support.google.com/gmm/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1685872&topic=1685871&ctx=topic

----------

No, because SSH was enabled by users installing an app (well actually nothing with GUI) after jailbreaking.
Thanks for proving my point. Jailbreaking their iPhone allowed then to install an app which made their device vulnerable.

SvenSvenson
Jun 28, 2012, 12:26 PM

It's of no use to you as you don't have a Mac.

MasterThorn19
Jun 28, 2012, 12:55 PM

I think this is good thinking. I personally have an iPhone however I work for apple and we do get people in who purchase a Mac but can't then afford an iPhone or they like their android device. So think about it very soon apple I'm sure will get even closer to cross platform apps, this means in stead of an app for iOS and an app for Macs it will.be one single app that runs on both. My point is android users who have a computer wither its Mac or windows will soon want to do something similar to make life a little Easyer and this is a perfect solution.

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 01:12 PM
Link? Google seems to think they're only available on Android: http://support.google.com/gmm/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1685872&topic=1685871&ctx=topic[COLOR="#808080"]

Digged around and you're right, it is an Android only feature. Though legally getting a version of Android maps for Bluestacks is probably not something you can look forward too, making the point moot.

Kinda sad to see Google go this route, they are usually good at making their features available as web applications first.

iSee
Jun 28, 2012, 01:26 PM
Perhaps it could be used by developers. I know this isn't an Android simulator, but I could see it (maybe) coming in handy for devs. It seems like they would just use the Android simulator, though.

There's already and Android enumator that developers use. It's included with the Android SDK. (I wouldn't be surprised if this project is based on the same emulator.) The SDK emulator is fine for devs but is probably too tricky for general use.

I just can't figure out why anyone would want to do this.
I see people mention WhatsApp a lot, but that just means they should come out with a native Mac client. So I guess this is a stop-gap workaround until they do. Of course people could just use better messaging app too.

Jazwire
Jun 28, 2012, 01:29 PM
Rather have an iOS emulator on Mac. :P

damir00
Jun 28, 2012, 01:43 PM
There are lots of neat Android apps, I like this very much. Would also like to be able to run iOS apps on OSX.

iMacFarlane
Jun 28, 2012, 01:58 PM
This is definitely a cool "proof of concept" for the Android and Mac OS. Many people here are wondering what the point is.

I think it's marketing.

Let's say you're on the Android side of the house. You know there are millions of iOS users out there who may be getting bored with their iPhones or are curious about the Android phones. You know many iOS people have converted to Mac OS X from Windows. Now, you make this emulator/widget/thingie that lets them download and try out ALL the apps in your marketplace. They find the parallels to their favorite iOS apps, and maybe something better. They find loads of cool stuff that Apple won't allow in their ecosystem. Then they decide their next phone is going to be an Android. Mission accomplished, clever Android marketing person.

My son has an Android. I am an iGuy, and will not sway. Just trying to make sense of this weirdness like everyone else.

JAT
Jun 28, 2012, 02:06 PM
Did Erik the red say why he wanted to discover America?
Pardon? You've created a temporal loop that cannot be calculated.

Did you write for Star Trek the Next Generation?

polaris20
Jun 28, 2012, 02:08 PM
mmm k?

Sounds like a "because I can" kinda thing. I don't really see the point either.

samcraig
Jun 28, 2012, 02:10 PM
Could be. But when I was ready to make the switch it was because I wanted a new experience and a bigger screen. Before switching though - I did run through the list of apps I used regularly (and even the not so used ones) to see if the same apps were available on Android. All of my "musts" were and most of my "would be nice to have" were as well. That clinched the deal. But that was an easy search through the (now) play store. I didn't need an emulator.

This is definitely a cool "proof of concept" for the Android and Mac OS. Many people here are wondering what the point is.

I think it's marketing.

Let's say you're on the Android side of the house. You know there are millions of iOS users out there who may be getting bored with their iPhones or are curious about the Android phones. You know many iOS people have converted to Mac OS X from Windows. Now, you make this emulator/widget/thingie that lets them download and try out ALL the apps in your marketplace. They find the parallels to their favorite iOS apps, and maybe something better. They find loads of cool stuff that Apple won't allow in their ecosystem. Then they decide their next phone is going to be an Android. Mission accomplished, clever Android marketing person.

My son has an Android. I am an iGuy, and will not sway. Just trying to make sense of this weirdness like everyone else.

JAT
Jun 28, 2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks for proving my point. Jailbreaking their iPhone allowed then to install an app which made their device vulnerable.
And allowing "them" to leave the Apple Store with their iPhone opens up all sorts of vulnerabilities. Sitting on, spilling on, dropping in toilet, theft....maybe Apple should just limit all usage of their products to padded rooms, monitored by someone who won't let anything happen. :rolleyes:

faroZ06
Jun 28, 2012, 03:14 PM
You dawg, I made an emulator for your emulator so you can emulate while you emulate?:D

I thought about using VirtualBox to run Windows in Linux in Windows in Linux in Windows in Linux in Mac, but I decided that it was a waste of time since I'd be running Windows.

doobybiggs
Jun 28, 2012, 04:44 PM
not a bad idea ... surprised it took that long to get something like this.

a0me
Jun 28, 2012, 06:57 PM
And allowing "them" to leave the Apple Store with their iPhone opens up all sorts of vulnerabilities. Sitting on, spilling on, dropping in toilet, theft....maybe Apple should just limit all usage of their products to padded rooms, monitored by someone who won't let anything happen. :rolleyes:
Nice way to missinterpret what i said. I hope that makes you feel better about yourself.

Analog Kid
Jun 28, 2012, 07:10 PM
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do that thing...

zzLZHzz
Jun 28, 2012, 08:15 PM

last i remember, this doesn't even works on my windows machine.
won't even bother trying it on my mac.

Cybernanga
Jun 28, 2012, 10:35 PM
I drive, a lot! I also wait in the car for long periods of time.

So, I installed a mac mini with a 7 inch touch display. connected to the stereo, it gives me access to my large itunes library, which I can't fit on my iPhone, iPad or even my MacBook Pro.

I have a gps dongle attached, and wanted turn-by-turn directions, but there is NO such software for OS X, so I have to run Windows in VMWare.

There are many Nav apps for IOS (& Android), but I can't run IOS Apps my touch enabled Mac Mini, so I'll be installing this to see if it's "lighter" than VMWare and Windows.

I'd love to be able to do this with IOS apps, but android might be acceptable.

There is one valid reason, but is it good enough for the naysayers?

Siggen
Jun 29, 2012, 05:50 AM
Name five.

to lazy, ill just give you a list of lots more. http://www.gamespot.com/android/games.html?games=popular

MagnusVonMagnum
Jun 30, 2012, 01:10 AM
I'd like to be able to run iOS Apps on my Mac. Why? There's a LOT of games available for iOS, some of which would be better suited to a mouse/joystick/keyboard than a touch screen and some of them just aren't available for the Mac or any regular computer platform. For example, while Bejeweled is available for the Mac, it's not the same as the iOS game (which I believe is far superior). There's a LOT of pinball games for iOS and very few for the Mac since the Intel switch. Apple already has a simulator setup for developers. I don't see why they couldn't have one for the Mac itself. This would greatly increase the software base, especially for games.

Kerry Sanders
Jun 30, 2012, 02:23 PM
Actually, it has nothing about the coolness of running mobile apps on the Mac. It's that Android is so bad, even their developers want to find some way of getting their apps on the Mac platform. :D

Siggen
Jul 2, 2012, 12:48 AM
Good luck playing those games without an accelerometer, digital compass, GPS and so forth.

I'll just look at my iPad (because I happen to have it here, and more games on it too). Let me look at which games i have enjoyed most.

Jetpack Joyride (no accelerometer, digital compass, GPS and so forth.)
Wordfeud (no accelerometer, digital compass, GPS and so forth.)
Touchgrind (scateboard and bmx) (no accelerometer, digital compass, GPS and so forth.)
Worms 2 (no accelerometer, digital compass, GPS and so forth.)
Amateur Surgeon (no accelerometer, digital compass, GPS and so forth.)
Cut the Rope (no accelerometer, digital compass, GPS and so forth.)
Draw Something (no accelerometer, digital compass, GPS and so forth.)
Magic The Gathering 2013 (no accelerometer, digital compass, GPS and so forth.)
Whale Trail (no accelerometer, digital compass, GPS and so forth.)

I dont game much on my Android phone, but I'd sure want games that can run in BlueStacks.

nonukez
Aug 10, 2012, 04:18 PM
I've never seen a forum page of so many misinformed, ignorant people. Running Android suddenly means viruses and trojans? Maybe if you install an unsigned apk from a Chinese porn site. An APK from XDA or the Play Store, never.

Do all Apple users talk like this? "Why would anyone want it lol i has iPad and iPhone already". Wow, talk about close-minded.

Just because you may not have a use for it doesn't mean others don't either. Some of the many I'll mention are: games that are only available for mobile devices, messenger apps that are only available for mobile devices (whatsapp, kakaotalk, Tango, etc), use an app to be able to read and send text messages/initiate calls from your mobile number (both online (via wifi) and offline (via bluetooth)), and much more. Let's not forget the devs, being able to run Android on their computer, may definitely find it useful. Hell, XDA even came up with a way to root Bluestacks, allowing much more uses.

Really, there are many uses for different people, and again, just because you can't find a use for it doesn't mean others don't either. If this project was such a useless dud, they wouldn't have been able to raise 13 million dollars, not to mention one of the contributors being AMD.

I will say that the Windows version is far better than the Mac version for now, but this is bound to change, as they're working on the Mac version to bring it to Beta. But please, for the love of god, open your minds a bit. And please, try out a recent Android device, the usability and quality of apps is on par with iOS devices and with Jelly Bean the smoothness is also matched. This is coming from someone with an iPhone 4 and a Galaxy Note.

----------

Sorry to double post, but I'd just like to add something. Some people stated they wanted an iOS emulator, which would again bring advantages I've listed before. Why is there no iOS emulation? It's not because no one bothered making it, it's that they would be sued to oblivion if they did make it (check out iEmu, which was almost a reality but cancelled due to possible future legal issues). Since Android is open-source, no such problems exist.
While I do like many Apple products, their obsessiveness to patent everything is just ridiculous. It's hurting the consumers and benefiting only themselves while simultaneously slowing innovation.

hulk2012
Aug 10, 2012, 05:32 PM
Maybe I was wrong... ;)

After running the simulator and quitting, I noticed I have 30+ extra processes called uHD-Pal (and a half dozen others with similar names), and this is when the simulator isn't running. One of them is consuming 20% of the CPU.

Hmmm. I can't be certain these were part of the BlueStacks install, but I'm sure I would have noticed these previously.

Same here. Thinking of uninstalling it. Did you uninstall it yet or also thinking about it?

Michaelgtrusa
Aug 10, 2012, 05:38 PM
Same here. Thinking of uninstalling it. Did you uninstall it yet or also thinking about it?

Glad is passed.

hulk2012
Aug 10, 2012, 06:02 PM
Glad is passed.

What u saying mate?

Michaelgtrusa
Aug 11, 2012, 09:25 AM
What u saying mate?

I never installed it.

hulk2012
Aug 11, 2012, 11:22 PM
I never installed it.

"A cat in gloves catches no mice" mate... However i deleted it already and i'm glad it's gone.

takezo808
Aug 11, 2012, 11:40 PM
Well I think of it as a way for Android developers to migrate to using Macs to dev android apps. With Windows 8 stinking up a storm, more and more people will switch to Mac, even Android developers.