Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacH4X0r

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
I've got some loose cash and am looking for killer accessories.
I have a G4 powerbook 15'' w/ the 1.67
I need a new bag thats big enough to hold my powerbook, a SLR (canon rebel XT), some lenses, power supply, mouse, 2-3 large textbooks, 2-3 binders, notebooks, pens, pencils, etc., a mobile harddrive, and not be a camping backpack. I really like the idea of a messenger, but I don't think that's big enough. Any suggestions?

What are some good mac goodies to get, I used to have all the nifty top of the line stuff, ipod accessories and the such, but that stuff just seems aggravating now, I really just want an efficient digital setup.

Also interested in upping the ram to 2 gigs, if anyone knows a good, dirt cheap retailer taht would be much appreciated.

Anything else cool I should know about?

Thanks
--mach4x0r
ichat: hackyourmacaroni
hackyourmacaroni@gmail.com

MacH4X0r

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
almost forgot, I'm a journalist

so rugged things I can use anywhere are preferrable

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
If you live near an Apple Store, they carry of a lot of very nice bags to carry a PowerBook and additional items. My wife purchased one for her PowerBook and she loves it very roomy for additional items.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
MacH4X0r said:
I need a new bag thats big enough to hold my powerbook, a SLR (canon rebel XT), some lenses, power supply, mouse, 2-3 large textbooks, 2-3 binders, notebooks, pens, pencils, etc., a mobile harddrive, and not be a camping backpack. I really like the idea of a messenger, but I don't think that's big enough. Any suggestions?
Timbuk2 is rather popular. I think that they have messenger bags that would fit all that stuff you want to carry (although why carry such a heavy load and as a messenger/shoulder bag is beyond me :p ). It's also widely appreciated as very rugged and hardy bags. I think something like the ilap would be nice to have because these G4 laptops sure do get toasty.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
You want to carry all that stuff AND your powerbook? :eek: good luck finding it in messenger bag form.

Of course, you can always just give the money to some poor college student in need of a new logic board for their PowerBook... not that I know any of those... :rolleyes:

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
id deffinitly say timbuk2 if you want to go the messanger route. the only thing is carrying that much in a messanger back could have harmfull effects on your body!!! but timbuk2 deffinitly has large enough bags, probably even bags that are too large. here is a quote about their largest bag availble from their website "We are also introducing an XXL size, available only in the Pro Series, for maximum payload capacity. The XXL model has more than 3300 cubic inches of interior volume and is proportioned to carry a standard office file box." you could fill that up with so much that you couldnt even carry it!

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
I'm gonna put in a vote for Crumpler. Some of their bags can be quite expensive but they are incredibly well made. They do a lot of bags catering for powerbooks + camera equipment.

They do one backpack (cant remember what its called) that has "weasel-proof" zips - the zips meet up at the top, next to your back, so theres no way theives can get into the bag without you knowing (unless they slash the bag which you'd probably feel as the material used is immensly strong). Loads of padding too.

I have a XL McBains Baby bag (made for 17"), they sent me the wrong one by mistake, but its a tight enough fit when I have my PB in its Second Skin. Theres still enough room for me to sling in my iPod and the chargers.

Even if you dont get anything by Crumpler, I recommend you check out there site - its hillarious :D

iDM

macrumors 6502a
MacH4X0r said:

What are some good mac goodies to get, I used to have all the nifty top of the line stuff, ipod accessories and the such, but that stuff just seems aggravating now, I really just want an efficient digital setup.

Also interested in upping the ram to 2 gigs, if anyone knows a good, dirt cheap retailer taht would be much appreciated.

Anything else cool I should know about?

Thanks
--mach4x0r
ichat: hackyourmacaroni
hackyourmacaroni@gmail.com

Upping to 2 gigs of ram, having top of the line stuff, and still having money "burning" a hole in your pocket. I would suggest sending me some via PAYPAL I'll gladly take whatever extra money you have and I promise scouts honor to do something cool with it. I'll maybe become like a product tester for you. You can buy me products i'll use them and then tell you if their any good or not. Let me know and I'll email you with my PAYPAL name.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to make a suggestion on your bag. "I need a new bag thats big enough to hold my powerbook, a SLR (canon rebel XT), some lenses, power supply, mouse, 2-3 large textbooks, 2-3 binders, notebooks, pens, pencils, etc., a mobile harddrive" hmm I'd suggest maybe a suit case or like a dolly, sled with mush dogs?

MacH4X0r

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Thanks for the suggestion,

and I am a starving college student, but I did a site for a group and scored some cash, and good food just isn't as attractive as gadgets...

when my powerbook board fried i sent it to apple and got this new 1.67 for FREE

You really don't want to carry all that around on one shoulder. Get a backpack form factor bag; it distributes the weight much more evenly, especially if it has a waist strap. I carried around a messenger bag with my 12" iBook, a couple notebooks, a couple textbooks, and a few accessories (iPod, power adapter, mouse, P&S digicam (Powershot A75)) last semester, and got back to my dorm every night with a sore back, until I transferred the notebooks and textbooks back into my regular backpack. Then it was no problem at all, and I could even carry three or four textbooks in the backpack with no more difficulty.

I'm considering a sleeve for next year to replace my messenger bag, at least for around campus, so I can move even more of the load onto two shoulders. A large messenger bag is nice for the airplane though. My backpack is my carry-on, and they let me take a "personal item, such as a briefcase, laptop bag, or purse" as well. I can fit my iBook, Linksys WRT54G, power adapters, books, papers, several CDs and DVDs, all my cords, a mouse, and several other knick-knacks into the laptop bag, and a week of clothes into my backpack, along with toiletries, and go home for thanksgiving, winter or spring break without wasting time checking luggage.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
eva01 said:
good and dirt cheap NEVER go well together
That's because it comes out as a strange equation about life and the value we place on goods on the street ...

good + dirt cheap = stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.