Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
For the people using Mountain Lion DP, What does it exactly mean when Apple says "OS X software updates are available through the Mac App Store"?

Can I install my iLife '11 from a DVD on ML and still expect to get software updates through the Mac App Store?

Will non-Mac App Store purchased OS X apps have a facility to download updates through 'Software Update' just like in Lion?

Thanks in advance for answering this question, I just don't want to buy iPhoto again on the Mac App Store just for the sake of getting updates. :)

bobbba

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Well "OS X software updates are available through the Mac App Store" means that updates for the OS itself go through the app store along side app updates.

Regarding your questions:

Can I install my iLife '11 from a DVD on ML and still expect to get software updates through the Mac App Store?

Probably

Will non-Mac App Store purchased OS X apps have a facility to download updates through 'Software Update' just like in Lion?

Probably not (apart from Apple's own apps)

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
Well "OS X software updates are available through the Mac App Store" means that updates for the OS itself go through the app store along side app updates.

Regarding your questions:

Probably

Probably not (apart from Apple's own apps)

Thanks for the answer. So Mac App store doesn't require Apple ID authentication for geting Software updates for Apple Apps that weren't purchased on app store?

Also, do Java updates, EFI Firmware, Printer driver updates, etc... updates also come through Mac App store? If they do, it seems Apple is also updating non-Apple apps from the Mac App store. That's unusual or maybe, I'm missing something.

(Would greatly appreciate an answer from someone already using ML DP 4 :))

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Everything that was previously handled through Software Update is now handled through the App Store, including printer and java updates. Software Update is no more.

bobbba

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks for the answer. So Mac App store doesn't require Apple ID authentication for geting Software updates for Apple Apps that weren't purchased on app store?

Also, do Java updates, EFI Firmware, Printer driver updates, etc... updates also come through Mac App store? If they do, it seems Apple is also updating non-Apple apps from the Mac App store. That's unusual or maybe, I'm missing something.

(Would greatly appreciate an answer from someone already using ML DP 4 :))

Yes updates happen without further authentication. I can't be 100% sure but as DVD iLife installed updates were handled by the OS software update setup that has been completely moved into the App store updates I very much suspect so.

As CougarCat said, Apple was already updating a limited range of 3rd party software through software updates it's likely that ML will do exactly the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.