PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my new Air?

Buckeye2012
Jun 28, 2012, 08:38 AM
Hi all,

I received my new base model 2012 13" Air with 8GB RAM upgrade last week. I've been pretty disappointed. It has frozen several times where I've had to shut it down and one time it got gray and a message poped up and told me I had to shut down due to some failure. Also, I leave it to sleep during the day and when I come home and open it, it has lost around 5-10% of its battery! Then I proceed to use it with no keyboard back light and the brightness below 50% while browsing the Internet and it loses one percent about every other minute! Please tell me something's up, as this is my first Mac and I'm not impressed at the moment.

Thank you for your time.

KPOM
Jun 28, 2012, 08:41 AM
Are you running Google Chrome? If so, lots of people are having problems with it, so it's possible Chrome is doing something that is causing crashes.

If not, then have Apple take a look at it. This is not normal. A bad logic board can cause these crashes, which are called "kernel panics."

Regarding the battery drain, do you have anything plugged into the USB or Thunderbolt port? If so, that will prevent the Mac from going into "deep sleep," and it will drain faster. If not, try restarting as sometimes something causes the Mac to think something is plugged in. Usually when I leave my Mac unplugged overnight it loses 2% or less.

Buckeye2012
Jun 28, 2012, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the speedy reply!

I am indeed using Google Chrome so that explains that. Now the issue is the battery. I have nothing plugged in, brightness down, and all I'm doing is browsing sites such as this - not even listening to music in the background. I truly don't understand why the battery is so poor.

DVD9
Jun 28, 2012, 10:17 PM
Hi all,

I received my new base model 2012 13" Air with 8GB RAM upgrade last week. I've been pretty disappointed. It has frozen several times where I've had to shut it down and one time it got gray and a message poped up and told me I had to shut down due to some failure.

The Gray Curtain of Death.

Stopped booting into my Hackintosh because of this.

KPOM
Jun 28, 2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply!

I am indeed using Google Chrome so that explains that. Now the issue is the battery. I have nothing plugged in, brightness down, and all I'm doing is browsing sites such as this - not even listening to music in the background. I truly don't understand why the battery is so poor.

The battery usage seems odd. Perhaps have it checked out.