PDA

View Full Version : New Pen-Based 'Modbook Pro' Tablet Launching in Early Fall

MacRumors
Jun 28, 2012, 10:20 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/28/new-pen-based-modbook-pro-tablet-launching-in-early-fall/)

Five and a half years ago, a company by the name of Axiotron unveiled the Modbook (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/04/mac-tablet-from-other-world-computing-axiotron/), a MacBook that had been converted into a pen-based tablet by repackaging the internals into a new casing to yield the one-piece tablet form factor. Two years later, Axiotron introduced the Modbook Pro (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/01/07/mwsf-tidbits-modbook-pro-matte-screens-tune-blocker-gorilla-pod/) based on a similar concept, but delays in delivering its products ultimately led Axiotron to fade away.

Earlier this year, one of Axiotron's founders returned with a new company carrying the Modbook name, and today the company is announcing the new generation of Modbook Pro (http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro) products.Built from a unique enclosure conversion kit, the Modbook Pro incorporates and completely encases the original hardware of a new Apple MacBook Pro 13.3-inch base system. Its Wacom digitizer delivers 512 levels of pen pressure sensitivity -- more than any other tablet computer on the market. And its ForceGlass screen provides an etched, paper-emulating drawing surface.

The result is a sleek tablet computer run by a powerful Mac base system, with a highly sensitive pen interface and a natural drawing surface, all fused into one device you can take with you and use anywhere.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/modbook_pro_2012.jpg

The Modbook Pro components connect to the original MacBook Pro through one of its two USB 3.0 ports, with the entire assembly being enclosed in a new casing for an integrated OS X-based tablet solution that also supports Windows 7.

The Modbook Pro is scheduled to launch in "early fall 2012", with pricing and retail partners yet to be announced.

Article Link: New Pen-Based 'Modbook Pro' Tablet Launching in Early Fall (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/28/new-pen-based-modbook-pro-tablet-launching-in-early-fall/)

cmChimera
Jun 28, 2012, 10:23 AM
In before someone says they should do this with the iPad.

gadget123
Jun 28, 2012, 10:24 AM
So a new tablet different to the ipad range.

Inreresting.

MDomino
And how are you supposed to type on this thing? Will you always have to connect a keyboard?

motulist
Why is this Page 1 news?

gadget123

No way. :eek:

CrAkD
Jun 28, 2012, 10:25 AM
Why not use a MacBook air? Smaller components thinner "mod book"

un10101
Jun 28, 2012, 10:25 AM
Well this is interesting. I wonder how Apple will react to this.

Rocketman
Jun 28, 2012, 10:26 AM
I like the fact it doesn't modify the Mac itself.

Oops. Spoke too soon.

Construction of the Modbook Pro requires permanent removal of the base system’s enclosure, including the display (with the FaceTimeģ camera) and the keyboard/trackpad assembly. Hard drive, RAM and other configuration options vary and may only be available from specific sales partners.

The Modbook Pro is an enclosure conversion kit designed to exclusively contain an original MacBook Pro base system manufactured by Apple Inc. Apple Inc.’s one-year limited warranty on the base system is voided by the conversion and replaced with Modbook Inc.’s warranty.

What applications are ripe for this device?

Here's what they say:

The Modbook Pro is the only tablet computer with the ability to boot into both OS X and Windows 7, unlocking the whole world of available applications on either platform: Adobeģ Photoshopģ, Encoreģ and Premiereģ Pro; Autodeskģ Sketchbookģ Pro and AutoCADģ; Apple Apertureģ and Logicģ Pro; Corelģ Painter™; and many others.

I am sure the folks waiting years for it know, but I sure don't.

The 13" MacBook Pro, and all 2012 non SSD Macbook Pros, are going to be one of those bridge Macs from old to new in this year of forsaking ports, storage systems, and software compatibility.

It looks like they dispose of the display, casing, keyboard, trackpad and install HD, SSD, RAM as needed in the pre-install bare bones system. All ports remain active except one USB3 port which the "accessory" itself uses.

I guess they can buy up MBP units with defective or broken displays to lower their cost.

Rocketman

SBlue1
Jun 28, 2012, 10:26 AM
Looks great. But this thing is heavy! Cant imagine holding it for a long time.

skeep5
Jun 28, 2012, 10:29 AM
me no likey

kurosov
Jun 28, 2012, 10:29 AM

Likely the same as last time.

Not at all.

paradox00
Jun 28, 2012, 10:30 AM
Why is this Page 1 news?

Look at how many other sites already have articles on it and ask yourself that again.

pubwvj
Jun 28, 2012, 10:31 AM
This is along the lines of what the iPad should be. I don't want a different operating system. I want a MacOSX/Classic/Rosetta/iOS all in one in the iPad tablet form factor with both finger and pressure sensitive pen.

Apple's really missing out on this one. The iPad is a natural for working with Photoshop and Illustrator. Not the dumb downed crippled versions of drawing software they have for the iPad but the real thing.

slrandall
Jun 28, 2012, 10:32 AM
Is this legal? I thought Mac OS couldn't be licensed.

Stig McNasty
Jun 28, 2012, 10:33 AM
Going, going, gonÖ

An idea, unfortunately, after it's time?

ru4real
Jun 28, 2012, 10:33 AM
Looks great, and I can really see how this would be a useful device that will fill an existing void in the market.

However, it'll be way too expensive for most people that would otherwise be interested.

east85
Jun 28, 2012, 10:34 AM
How useful is OS X without a keyboard? Really?

Bluefusion
Jun 28, 2012, 10:34 AM

Who said anything about licensing? It IS a 13.3" MBP.

paradox00
Jun 28, 2012, 10:35 AM

This runs on Mac hardware. They literally take a Macbook Pro and modify it.

gpat
Jun 28, 2012, 10:35 AM
Why did they base it on the Macbook Pro and not the Air? It would have been great, especially on the 11" version.

WestonHarvey1
Jun 28, 2012, 10:37 AM
This is along the lines of what the iPad should be. I don't want a different operating system. I want a MacOSX/Classic/Rosetta/iOS all in one in the iPad tablet form factor with both finger and pressure sensitive pen.

Apple's really missing out on this one. The iPad is a natural for working with Photoshop and Illustrator. Not the dumb downed crippled versions of drawing software they have for the iPad but the real thing.

No, the iPad absolutely should not be this. Its success proves that iOS was the way to go. This is a niche product, and I hope it does well. But this is not a core business Apple wants to be involved in.

Maybe someday Apple will create an optional way to make an ARM-only OS X run on an iPad. But you'll never see a TV commercial for it.

SteveLV702
Jun 28, 2012, 10:38 AM

Its not being licensed and doesn't need to be its not like they taking Mac OS X and installing it on a PC or some other hardware... It's Mac OS X installed on Mac hardware..... Its a mac laptop in another case....

----------

pretty sure the digitizer software has a on-screen keyboard...

east85
Jun 28, 2012, 10:39 AM
Its not being licensed and doesn't need to be its not like they taking Mac OS X and installing it on a PC or some other hardware... It's Mac OS X installed on Mac hardware..... Its a mac laptop in another case....

----------

pretty sure the digitizer software has a on-screen keyboard...

Oh okay! :D

brdeveloper
Jun 28, 2012, 10:39 AM

This is simply a repackaging of an actual Macbook, so I presume it's perfectly legal. Once you buy original hardware, you can do any mod you want including selling it.

AQUADock
Jun 28, 2012, 10:40 AM

More power perhaps?

AppleFan1984
Jun 28, 2012, 10:41 AM

We've seen this pattern before:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outbound_Laptop

kustardking

This is why the x86 Surface has a chance.

GREEN4U
Don't these people know the 13" MBP is on its way out?? Even the 13" Air has better screen resolution. They should be working on the Modbook Air!

Leaping Tortois
Jun 28, 2012, 10:43 AM
There is one thing that would make this huge in the uni world (as far as a modbook is concerned, anyways) and that's OneNote for MacOS. I currently have a macbook pro and I run windows for OneNote and use a Wacom tablet for engineering applications. Would be brilliant to be able to run this thing native in mac instead of having to boot into bootcamp or deal with parallels.

Depending on the price... I would buy it!

iZac
Jun 28, 2012, 10:44 AM
Why did they base it on the Macbook Pro and not the Air? It would have been great, especially on the 11" version.

This!

Also, they talk about a wacom digitiser, so ... is this basically a hacked cintiq and MBP, shoehorned in a case?

hobo.hopkins
Jun 28, 2012, 10:44 AM
This can only have an extremely limited appeal. Just not practical when an iPad can be had for so much less, as can a MacBook air.

balconycollapse
Jun 28, 2012, 10:45 AM
Isn't the advantage here pressure sensitivity. That's not on an iPad. In fact drawing on the iPad with the stylus is no where near what a Wacom tablet paired with a pro 27" display offers and the fullblown autodesk or adobe tools. I'm sure future iPad offerings will get pressure sensitivity and more granular stylus tip support. Seems to fill that gap for pro users.

mobi
Jun 28, 2012, 10:45 AM
These have been around for a loooong time. They fill a gap and carve out a small niche for lets say Mmmm the healthcare industry.

adildacoolset
Jun 28, 2012, 10:49 AM
Post-PC era mixed with PC era :eek:

----------

most likely costs and power

Marx55
Jun 28, 2012, 10:49 AM
"the world's most powerful and largest-screen tablet computer."

Great, but also needed is another Mac based on the MacBook Air 11-inch, being the lightest (400 to 600 g) and smallest (pocketable) as possible. Not for heavy work. Great for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. Whatever form factor (clamshell, slider or tablet). The Mac in your pocket. Always.

DayVe3000
Jun 28, 2012, 10:51 AM
Sounds a bit daft to me!

What are these things going to retail at, if they have to buy a £999 MBP to start with!?

Amazing Iceman

Really?

Here you have a company trying to turn a Macbook into a Tablet, while there are others trying to turn the iPad into a Laptop.

Just like the brunette trying to become a blonde and the blonde trying to become a brunette.:eek:

gkarris

How about take the left over MacBook Pro parts and install the insides of an iPad? :eek:

iOS laptop... :D

Love this old conversion:

http://lowendmac.com/clones/outbound.html

;)

nagromme
Jun 28, 2012, 10:52 AM
That vintage 1995 Wacom pen in the picture is worth the price alone! A collector’s item for sure.

They should base this on the 27-inch iMac for maximum art area. Remove foot, add battery and pen!

cameronjpu
Jun 28, 2012, 10:52 AM

You can bet that if this thing ever hits the streets it will have a different name.

AppleFan1984
Jun 28, 2012, 10:53 AM
No, the iPad absolutely should not be this.
Maybe not the iPad, but perhaps something else down the road - from last month's patent filings:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/24/apple-applies-for-stylus-patent/

Amazing Iceman
Jun 28, 2012, 10:56 AM
Sounds a bit daft to me!

What are these things going to retail at, if they have to buy a £999 MBP to start with!?

They'll probably add at least 50% to the price of the MBP to compensate for additional components, labor and other related expenses.

Regardless, it looks great!

I don't think they will be able to do this with the MBP Retina, as the display is embedded to its enclosure.

----------

How about take the left over MacBook Pro parts and install the insides of an iPad? :eek:

iOS laptop... :D

Love this old conversion:

http://lowendmac.com/clones/outbound.html

;)

Crap! I remember those monsters. You would really need to workout everyday to be able to carry these things.
At least these were lighter than the Osbourne's and IBM's first portables. Those really looked like giant sewing machines!

eternlgladiator
Jun 28, 2012, 10:57 AM
It would be insanely expensive if they could do it with a retina MBP. You have to buy a 2012 13" macbook pro and then they mod it by taking up one of the USB 3.0 ports to connect the digitizer and what not. Base price will probably be 1999 and fully loaded I could see them clearing 3K or 3.5K if they stick to the apple pricing model, which they probably will.

cameronjpu
Jun 28, 2012, 10:57 AM
These have been around for a loooong time. They fill a gap and carve out a small niche for lets say Mmmm the healthcare industry.

This is for one thing only. Drawing. Period. I don't understand how anyone could miss that from the description.

Thunderhawks
Jun 28, 2012, 10:58 AM
This can only have an extremely limited appeal. Just not practical when an iPad can be had for so much less, as can a MacBook air.

The company owner should be prepared to fade away again and not make it again.

Flawed in so many ways!

OldSchoolMacGuy
Jun 28, 2012, 10:59 AM
Modbook never really took off. Woz endorsed it at Macworld back in '07 or so when it was released but who was gonna pay more than laptop prices to have someone hack up a laptop and make it a tablet. I would have thought that the introduction of the iPad would have totally killed what little sales it got but I guess they're gonna give it another go.

LimeiBook86
Jun 28, 2012, 11:00 AM
And how are you supposed to type on this thing? Will you always have to connect a keyboard?

Since 2002 with Mac OS X 10.2 "Jaguar" Apple has a piece of software that helps users type with a pop-up keyboard or write on the screen with the pen and it'll translate into text. This technology is called InkWell, and it's alive and well in OS X Lion. Plug in a supported drawing tablet and open up System Preferences to see it in action. This is how you'll be able to type on the tablet.

I think the product is good for a niche market. It would be interesting to have an 11" MacBook Air or 13" MacBook Air with the same Wacom digitizer built-in. I can't say I haven't wished for an item like this before. Although if their pricing is anything like it was last time, I'd rather get a cheap PC tablet with a Wacom digitizer (if I remember there are some out there, or were) and use that. To me I wouldn't mind using a different OS if I was saving a good chunk of change. But for others I know this would be a valuable option to have. :)

jaison13
Jun 28, 2012, 11:00 AM
it has the one thing i wish iPad had but as of yet still doesn't. pressure sensitivity. as an artist i still very much love my iPad. it's a fairly great daring device. but it's miles away from a wacom tablet, but also much cheaper. i'm hoping these companies making pens that are pressure sensitive actually work.

i would say, to those saying why not just buy a macbook? last i checked all the apple notebooks are missing a touch screen.

i'd LOVE for apple to make a "pro" edition iPad. try to get it in under $1300.00. 128gb storage, more power,better graphics card, better cams, and a touch sensitive screen/pen. and possibly running lion.

DaDalle
Jun 28, 2012, 11:02 AM
Wait, it isn't April 1st, is it?

troop231
Looks great. But this thing is heavy! Cant imagine holding it for a long time.

Gain some muscle? :confused:

gkarris
You can bet that if this thing ever hits the streets it will have a different name.

In the past, as long as they are a "value added reseller" and buy entire Macs and do the mod (maybe even have to give the customer the left over parts) - it's okay.

You in a sense authorize the company to modify your MacBook.

Sackvillenb
Jun 28, 2012, 11:03 AM
Well, that's a great idea, assuming it's actually executed well. With this, you can have the best of both worlds... a tablet interface and touch sensitive screen, and the full hardware and software horsepower of a "real" computer... Even just having a full-on complete OS would make a huge difference alone... that combined with robust hardware... I'd love to try one of these out... Hopefully this company will actually release their product this time!

Chupa Chupa
Jun 28, 2012, 11:05 AM

Inreresting.

No, not new. Reborn. The former company modifyed MacBooks a few years ago before shutting down.

Probably same as last time... a collective yawn. Understand these are not priced for consumers. Last time they were about 2x the cost of a stock MBP.

Chrisg2014
Jun 28, 2012, 11:06 AM
Love it! I don't know why people keep saying "how am i expose to type on it" Hello Really? how do you type on the iPad? Or "why don't I just use a MacBook Air" Ok, your at your job, maybe it's construction. You need to look at something. You pull out your macbook air hold it in one hand and type in the other. Or you just take out a tablet. The tablet would be "smaller" in surface area, making it easer to use wall walking. This question could also be said about the the iPad.

Just wish apple would make it...

pugnaciousp
Jun 28, 2012, 11:08 AM
Why is this Page 1 news?

Why do people keep saying this? MacRumors is formatted so that the most recent post will be on the "front page." Get it together.

nick_elt

prob much cheaper too.

GorgonPhone
lame idea

cameronjpu
In the past, as long as they are a "value added reseller" and buy entire Macs and do the mod (maybe even have to give the customer the left over parts) - it's okay.

You in a sense authorize the company to modify your MacBook.

But a company buying a MacBook does not have the right to sell it under any name they want. And this name to me sounds likely to confuse typical consumers as to who makes it.

Piggie
Jun 28, 2012, 11:10 AM
I think Apple should put a stop to products like this. It damages the brand is confusing to many people who may think this is an Apple product.

Should car companies also ban others from taking stock cars they make and modifying them into other vehicles?

Often retuning the engine, better brakes, changing the suspension.

They make stretch limo's this way taking a stock car, cutting it in half and customising it into a new vehicle.

Bullet proof cars also.

Ambulances also used to be stock vans that came of the production line and went to a customiser company.

NewbieCanada
Jun 28, 2012, 11:10 AM
This is simply a repackaging of an actual Macbook, so I presume it's perfectly legal. Once you buy original hardware, you can do any mod you want including selling it.

Yes, it's essentially an overpriced case. :p

pubwvj
Jun 28, 2012, 11:16 AM
No, the iPad absolutely should not be this. Its success proves that iOS was the way to go.

Wrong, the iPad's success proves nothing of the sort. As the iPad stands it is crippled. If the iPad ran all of iOS plus MacOS/Classic/Rosetta for those of us who want them it would greatly increase the amount of available useful software, especially for education and small business. This would in turn make the iPad even more successful than it is. By limiting the iPad to just iOS Apple has abandoned a tremendous resource of excellent software and culture as well a crippling their hardware. A shame.

gnasher729
Jun 28, 2012, 11:22 AM

There's a MacBook Pro inside.

Wrong, the iPad's success proves nothing of the sort. As the iPad stands it is crippled. If the iPad ran all of iOS plus MacOS/Classic/Rosetta for those of us who want them it would greatly increase the amount of available useful software, especially for education and small business. This would in turn make the iPad even more successful than it is. By limiting the iPad to just iOS Apple has abandoned a tremendous resource of excellent software and culture as well a crippling their hardware. A shame.

Fact: There were plenty of tablets that ran a "grown-up" operating system, basically some version of Windows. And they were all failures.
Fact: Apple made a tablet that has a somehow reduced version of the "grown-up" operating system, iOS instead of MacOS X, and it is a huge, huge success.

Combining these two facts I would say you are wrong. What you suggest would improve the iPad to a small number of people, but hugely reduce its value to the majority.

I think Apple should put a stop to products like this. It damages the brand is confusing to many people who may think this is an Apple product.

Everyone buying this is buying an Apple product, so Apple doesn't lose any sales.

MH01
Jun 28, 2012, 11:23 AM
I read that as Macbook Pro tablet coming... and cringed!

manu chao
Jun 28, 2012, 11:26 AM
Well, that's a great idea, assuming it's actually executed well. With this, you can have the best of both worlds... a tablet interface and touch sensitive screen, and the full hardware and software horsepower of a "real" computer... Even just having a full-on complete OS would make a huge difference alone... that combined with robust hardware... I'd love to try one of these out... Hopefully this company will actually release their product this time!
99% of the tasks you would want to do with your fingers will be easier on an iPad and 1% will be easier on this ModBook. (Things will be different once you plugin a keyboard.)

djpuma
Jun 28, 2012, 11:30 AM
finally a real tablet.

sillypooh
Jun 28, 2012, 11:30 AM
This is brilliant. I don't think it violates any of Apple's legal restrictions except the laptop's warranty. It's like reselling an old computer, no restrictions about that. Plus it fills a niche market that still fuels Apple's business. I like it. Let them be big.

Bubba Satori
Jun 28, 2012, 11:36 AM
lame idea

Yeah, if it isn't made by Apple it's lame.
Why do these other companies keep trying to think different?
That's just wrong.

DDGator
Jun 28, 2012, 11:38 AM
Why is this Page 1 news?

This is a Mac Rumors site. This is a announcement about a new product that incorporates a MacBook Pro into a tabel form?

Why wouldn't this be "front page" news? :confused:

LaazyEye
Jun 28, 2012, 11:46 AM

I highly, highly doubt ANYONE looking for a macbook or ipad would ever find out about this. I'm fairly certain the only way to stumble upon this is to actively look for it, and I'm even more certain the dealers would make sure this is the product the customer is really asking for.

brdeveloper
Jun 28, 2012, 11:53 AM
Yes, it's essentially an overpriced case. :p

The funny part is seeing Apple serving as a component supplier in this particular case.

Artey
Jun 28, 2012, 11:53 AM
Did anyone else read "fall" as "fail"?

That's just what my brain went to automatically

Rmafive
Jun 28, 2012, 11:55 AM
Very interesting. I can't wait to see the reviews on this unit!

PeterQVenkman
Jun 28, 2012, 11:56 AM
I would much rather go with this than a surface tablet. At least I know where the apps and OS stand. That 512 levels of pressure is better, too.

We'll see what the price is, though!

brdeveloper
Jun 28, 2012, 11:57 AM
If Apple doesn't "Surface" the iPad, others will do.

Sackvillenb
Jun 28, 2012, 11:59 AM
99% of the tasks you would want to do with your fingers will be easier on an iPad and 1% will be easier on this ModBook. (Things will be different once you plugin a keyboard.)

That's not what I meant. There's not that much I would want to do with my fingers here anyway... I like the touch-screen for some general uses, but it would be great for graphic design and image editing and artistic applications (although the touch interface could still be useful some other stuff, e.g. audio editing, depending on how they implement the interface). And, since there's a full blown OS on there, you could have applications like photoshop, etc, and, importantly, you could have a real file system. So, as per my prior post, you could have the best of both worlds: a touch screen interface with powerful hardware and powerful software, and a powerful OS. And yes, a keyboard would make it better.

Apple Key
Jun 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
I don't see what all the hype is about. This is nothing new. Axiotron (the same company, but rebranded as modbook, I guess?) has been doing this for years. The problem is that they don't add much value, and it is very expensive.

JAT
Jun 28, 2012, 12:01 PM
I don't think they will be able to do this with the MBP Retina, as the display is embedded to its enclosure.
It's not that, they remove the display, anyway. It would just be too expensive for no benefit. They are basically scooping out the logic board and putting it in a new case. Other than if you want a different cpu speed, they should use the cheapest version of the MBP. They can no doubt add RAM cheaper than Apple's retail price, too.

Since this has a dedicated display, prob no need for advanced gpu, either. I mean, there's only need for one version of gpu. IDK which offhand, but choice won't be necessary in this product.

mjtomlin
Jun 28, 2012, 12:06 PM

Are you for real? You do know there have been Windows tablets for over 10 years now and guess what? They were a failure. Why? Because they were expensive, huge, heavy, hot machines that had crappy battery life. And the UI itself was not meant to be used as a touch based interface.

Apple made a device the way they wanted to make it; inexpensive, light, long battery life, and a new interface paradigm designed around touch. It's not at all a crippled device; it is what they wanted it to be.

It's like saying a car is a crippled truck because it can't haul the same stuff! Or a toaster is a crippled oven because you can't bake cookies in it! Two different products for two different purposes that can do some of the same things in different ways.

What you're asking for is currently NOT possible with all the specs you think you need. And don't even bring up Microsoft's Surface Pro... Wait until people try running Office on it... It's going to be a cumbersome dog... it is nothing more than a netbook trying to be a tablet. Tablet sized screens are too small to be productive with desktop designed software... It's why all those other small PC's never gained any traction. They were just novelties.

The iPad works because it is not trying to be a PC.

WordMasterRice
Jun 28, 2012, 12:09 PM
No, the iPad absolutely should not be this. Its success proves that iOS was the way to go. This is a niche product, and I hope it does well. But this is not a core business Apple wants to be involved in.

Maybe someday Apple will create an optional way to make an ARM-only OS X run on an iPad. But you'll never see a TV commercial for it.

No, it doesn't prove that iOS was the way to go, it only proves that with iOS this many have been sold. You have absolutely no way of knowing if it would have had the same or even more success with a real OS.

The only way for you to make your argument is if they launched both and the OSX version faded away, since that isn't what happened you are basing your post on things you pulled from your ass.

kiljoy616
Jun 28, 2012, 12:16 PM

Built in keyboard I think this still has a keyboard underneath the screen, at least that what it looks like on their webpage. :cool:

TsunamiTheClown
Jun 28, 2012, 12:18 PM
I don't know..."HackBook Pro" actually rhymes...

js :)

Lochias
Jun 28, 2012, 12:19 PM
Why is this Page 1 news?

Because it is a Mac rumor. An interesting one, it would seem from the number of replies, including yours.

Asclepio
Jun 28, 2012, 12:20 PM
real stuff.

Capt T
Jun 28, 2012, 12:21 PM
Going, going, gonÖ

An idea, unfortunately, after it's time?

It was before it's time 5 years ago when they first had them. Unfortunately it and the windows tablets of that time, we're not really set up for touch interface.

Wonder with the new OS if that will change how well it works.

notjustjay
Jun 28, 2012, 12:23 PM
For those asking "Why not the Air?", check out the interview with the company (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/the-original-os-x-tablet-how-modbook-got-its-groove-back/) at Ars Technica.

Basically they figure anyone looking to buy one of these wants the most powerful machine they can get under the hood.

Sixtafoua
Jun 28, 2012, 12:27 PM
This actually looks really cool. And it's completely legal, too! :D

Rizzn
Jun 28, 2012, 12:31 PM
Time for the lawsuits.

G5isAlive
Jun 28, 2012, 12:31 PM
Why is this Page 1 news?

why wouldn't it be? at least its not the latest greatest app for that.

though, I give them about as much chance for success as last time. still fun to read and think about.

ThunderSkunk
Jun 28, 2012, 12:32 PM
Awesome! Finally!

Though we keep a few original Modbooks around, they're big, bulky and a bit underpowered working with large files.

This will be great, with the new Wacom panel & more horsepower. Kind of wish they used the 15", but what can you do.

I put a couple of our engineers on building our own version of this, but it turned into a timesink & we abandoned it.

We'll take a dozen.

Back to your regularly scheduled FUD... This is not a Mobile organizer, or a PDA, kiddies, this is a design & graphics tablet. ...for that tiny segment of the market that designs and engineers the physical world around you, which still very much requires a full-featured OS and an accurate pen or stylus.

Yamcha
Jun 28, 2012, 12:33 PM
This will be great for graphic professionals..

ellsworth
Jun 28, 2012, 12:34 PM
I've played around with an older modified iBook version of the Modbook and it was definitely a heavy chunk of a hardware. Their was a "software" based keyboard that was accessible from a little arrow below the app dock that would pop-up when selected. The probably that I saw right-off the bat (aside from the weight of the thing) was the pen/digitizer screen's responsiveness. It seem that every time you would click or try to select something, the cursor would move away slightly selecting something else. It was very annoying. You would literally have to "stab" the screen to select what you wanted sometimes. I only had access to it for about a half hour so it's not a significant review of the old product. I remember noting that the thing cost $2,000. Back in 2009'ish, that was a lot of money for an ibook+conversion.

The stylus pen is honestly a thing of the past. I know Nintendo DS and a few other hardware still use them but they honestly should have thought about using a touchscreen/digitizer combo with this thing. I also agree that they should have build this around the macbook air.

We graphic professionals are smart enough to stay away from something like this that just isn't at all practical or financially reasonable.

Prodo123
Jun 28, 2012, 12:38 PM
This company'll get sued just like Psystar...

GorgonPhone
Jun 28, 2012, 12:39 PM
Yeah, if it isn't made by Apple it's lame.
Why do these other companies keep trying to think different?
That's just wrong.

cause they are lame.

RebelScum
Jun 28, 2012, 12:44 PM
This is why the x86 Surface has a chance.

Absolutely agree.

http://www.rgbfilter.com/?p=16081

Of particular interest I think; the difference between X86 and SOC:

Microsoft set out to do something different: create a tablet that could replace a laptop. And it looks like that, with Surface, they succeeded. But then, itís as though Microsoft said to themselves, ďWow. Weíve created the best tablet experience on the planet. Now do it again, but this time, leave some stuff out.Ē MS needs to honour its legacy client base, but there is no RT base to speak of that needs the same consideration. If you have a tablet in-hand that answers the needs of almost all of your clients, why make another one?

----------

Psystar was selling Hackintoshes built from scratch with unlicensed copies of OSX (or multiple installs of a single purchased copy).

These guys are selling you back your own machine in a modified case.

I don't see them getting sued for that.

G5isAlive
Jun 28, 2012, 12:44 PM

a consumer who does zero homework deserves to be confused.

spritelyjim
Jun 28, 2012, 12:45 PM
What most of you don't realize is that not only is this perfectly legal, but that Apple ALREADY SANCTIONED the Modbook in the past. They've been through several different license types sorting this out, but they basically treat this like a third-party accessory.

As far as usefulness, this is in essence a way nicer, more convenient version of the Cintiq, and portable too. So it fills a professional niche; you know, the kinds of professional niches that Apple can't or won't fill.

mdelvecchio
Jun 28, 2012, 12:47 PM

uh, bluetooth?

its for artists and those who rely on pressure-sensitive apps. likely not you.

WestonHarvey1
Jun 28, 2012, 12:50 PM

I disagree. You've been able to buy fully functioning Windows computers in tablet form for a decade now. They've never attracted consumers. They have specific niche uses and that's where they're always going to stay.

Take a person who has used an iPad and hand them a new tablet and say "here's your stylus! Pretend it's a mouse. You want to close that window? Tap on that tiny X right there... wait no you missed it... nope you missed it..." That's not going to fly.

----------

You have absolutely no way of knowing if it would have had the same or even more success with a real OS.

Yes I do. See above. There's this thing called "history" - it's really useful. When you have an idea, you can look to history to see if someone already tried it, and see how it worked out for them.

Lindenhurst
Jun 28, 2012, 12:54 PM

Flawed in so many ways!
Explain please? How is it flawed.
Who wouldn't like to have a tablet that runs OSX. Certainly capable of doing more productive things than an iPad would do.

If for one am interested in seeing the details....

jgorinac
Jun 28, 2012, 12:55 PM

With dictation coming to mountain Lion, typing shouldn't be an issue... And you would be doing most of your tasks with the pen. I've seen this product before. They have software that you literally write stuff with your own hand writing and it's read and typed into the field. It's pretty neat. Plus people won't be buying this to be doing stuff requiring a lot of typing or navigating but rather drawing!

LethalWolfe
Jun 28, 2012, 12:56 PM
A couple years ago a graphic artist friend went the ModBook route and loved it. The price though is a big hurdle.

Lethal

WestonHarvey1
Jun 28, 2012, 01:00 PM
Explain please? How is it flawed.
Who wouldn't like to have a tablet that runs OSX. Certainly capable of doing more productive things than an iPad would do.

If for one am interested in seeing the details....

That kind of tablet is good at a specific kind of task. It's when you're walking around a shop floor, warehouse, or a hospital with your hands full of other things and no good place to set a laptop down. When all the software you use is proprietary custom stuff you spent millions of dollars on that will never, ever have mobile versions unless you spend millions more.

jgorinac
Jun 28, 2012, 01:06 PM
No, it doesn't prove that iOS was the way to go, it only proves that with iOS this many have been sold. You have absolutely no way of knowing if it would have had the same or even more success with a real OS.

The only way for you to make your argument is if they launched both and the OSX version faded away, since that isn't what happened you are basing your post on things you pulled from your ass.

It's safe to say that iOS was successful because it was designed around a touch interface AND it's simplicity. Apple didn't put OS X in it because people buy an iPad for basic use.... lol only a select group of people would have use for a pressure sensitive screen and the power that OS X would bring to the iPad. Not everyone needs or actually uses programs that are on OS X only.... Majority of the iPads sales are for the general public that uses it for web, email, and games. Period. Apple is in it for the money and iOS is a better choice because of its simplicity. Apples sees it like this; if you need to run programs such as aperture, photoshop, final cut, etc. BUY A MAC. If you can't see that than I don't know what to tell you....

Spectrum Abuser
Jun 28, 2012, 01:07 PM
That's an awesome product! And it's the exact same reason as to why I'm waiting for the surface tablets. Running a full fledged operating system is what I want in a tablet. Having a 'mobile' OS[iOS, Android] just deters me from purchasing.

einmusiker
Jun 28, 2012, 01:12 PM

Inreresting.

This has been around for a while and apple doesnt really bother them because they are still purchasing and using apple hardware and software. Theyre also very small, sell maybe a few hundred a year

Yumunum
Jun 28, 2012, 01:17 PM
As someone mentioned earlier.. It would be nice if this used a MacBook Air instead of a Pro.

You'd have a higher-res screen, a SSD, and thin & light (important things for a tablet)

And what's with the bad design? I'm not the only one who thinks it looks bad, right? The enclosure around the screen has an odd color.

hayesk
Jun 28, 2012, 01:18 PM
People here must be new to the Mac platform or have short memory.

This was a shipping product five years ago. They sold some, but very little. It was selling when Apple announced the iPad and people griped that they wanted a tablet that ran MacOS X. This was their chance, but did they buy it? Nope.

This product has a niche, but it is a small one. Mac apps are not designed for tablets, but you can make due with the onscreen keyboard, and handwriting recognition that is built into OS X. It's not an optimal way of using it though, except for graphics apps.

This product will sell as well as it did before, possibly a little better due to increased awareness of tablets these days, but it's not going to be a mainstream product.

steveh
Jun 28, 2012, 01:22 PM

Yes, it's legal. They're using Apple-made hardware, with the OS license that came with it from the factory.

coldmack
Jun 28, 2012, 01:27 PM
There's a MacBook Pro inside.

Fact: There were plenty of tablets that ran a "grown-up" operating system, basically some version of Windows. And they were all failures.
Fact: Apple made a tablet that has a somehow reduced version of the "grown-up" operating system, iOS instead of MacOS X, and it is a huge, huge success.

Combining these two facts I would say you are wrong. What you suggest would improve the iPad to a small number of people, but hugely reduce its value to the majority.
The reason why the iPad did so well was the fact it's using a superior ARM cpu, which allows good battery life and allows it to be fanless, something those brickbooks could never offer. Plus, you have to remember that "grown-up" OS they were/are running is pretty damn bloated OS with little to no useful software for the general masses. Seriously who wants to use Outlook with touch, or pen when it's not really optimized for it?

baryon
Jun 28, 2012, 01:35 PM
Strange but interesting idea! I do like the Wacom pen, which makes sense as it allows a full featured mouse to be used, with right click, pointer movement and clicking, that you can't do on other tablets at all.

As for the keyboard, I have no idea how that would work. You can obviously type with the onscreen keyboard and the pen, but come on, you won't ever, ever do thatÖ And an external keyboard? So if you lug that around, might as well buy a MacBook Pro instead, which has it built in!

I don't think anyone needs this: the whole point of a tablet is to be portable, which this isn't really since it still needs a keyboard. The whole point of a laptop is to be full-featured, which this isn't either.

It's like an iPad that can run OS X and Windows, non-optimized for tablets at all, with faster hardware. And it's probably illegal to sell itÖ

Carouser
Jun 28, 2012, 01:46 PM
This is not a Mobile organizer, or a PDA, kiddies, this is a design & graphics tablet. ...for that tiny segment of the market that designs and engineers the physical world around you, which still very much requires a full-featured OS and an accurate pen or stylus.

Is this supposed to be impressive or something? "Specific industries/occupations require specific tools", whoop-de-doo. Maybe get over yourself?

willcapellaro
Jun 28, 2012, 01:50 PM
it has the one thing i wish iPad had but as of yet still doesn't. pressure sensitivity. as an artist i still very much love my iPad. it's a fairly great daring device. but it's miles away from a wacom tablet, but also much cheaper. i'm hoping these companies making pens that are pressure sensitive actually work.

i would say, to those saying why not just buy a macbook? last i checked all the apple notebooks are missing a touch screen.

i'd LOVE for apple to make a "pro" edition iPad. try to get it in under $1300.00. 128gb storage, more power,better graphics card, better cams, and a touch sensitive screen/pen. and possibly running lion.

Yes, pressure sensitivity would be nice, but if that's your only complaint you're not digging deep enough. Styluses are jumbo crayons, capacitive input is not ideal (resistive would be worse), accidental touches are a fact of life. I would just wrap it up into a big general request: please make stylus input not suck, or replace with make it pen input. They could give you pressure sensitivity and it would still suck.

However, Wacom has been around for nearly two decades and their tablets have worked flawlessly for the most part. Apple get off your duff and give them some Yen to help make an artists ipad. You have to get over yourself first--find a way to accept that people use styluses and pens.

Note: the ModBookPro has been promised for 2+ years. I thought they had shut down, there was no web site updates. I'll be surprised if these see the light of day, and I'd be hard pressed to let them Mod my 'Book.

JAT
Jun 28, 2012, 01:53 PM
As someone mentioned earlier.. It would be nice if this used a MacBook Air instead of a Pro.

You'd have a higher-res screen, a SSD, and thin & light (important things for a tablet)

They replace the screen with their own, and the aluminum Apple enclosure. And SSD is an option. Read more than headlines.

coldmack
Jun 28, 2012, 02:01 PM
Yes, pressure sensitivity would be nice, but if that's your only complaint you're not digging deep enough. Styluses are jumbo crayons, capacitive input is not ideal (resistive would be worse), accidental touches are a fact of life. I would just wrap it up into a big general request: please make stylus input not suck, or replace with make it pen input. They could give you pressure sensitivity and it would still suck.

You do know companies like Wacom and N-Trig offer palm rejection to minimize accidental touches.

mixel
Jun 28, 2012, 02:14 PM
If I had the disposable income I'd be all over this. Photoshop and Illustrator, Manga Studio and Sketchbook are really asking for a good tablet.

It's not like Cintiqs are cheap (or portable!) either so if the new modbook works well it will definitely find a niche.

kitsunestudios
Jun 28, 2012, 02:20 PM
This is a niche, but it's MY niche. :D

The iPad dosen't offer pressure sensitivity or Pro creative apps. Direct drawing on a Macbook Pro requires the Cintiq, which is a pain in the butt to connect and tote around.

Yes, the iPad touch system is a superior portable computing metaphor for the vast majority of people. There are, however, some artists who want to be able to do work on the road, and the iPad falls short there for creatives.

I'm VERY interested in one of these.

ThunderSkunk
Jun 28, 2012, 02:51 PM
Is this supposed to be impressive or something? "Specific industries/occupations require specific tools", whoop-de-doo. Maybe get over yourself?

Yep, impressing you is my #1 priority. That's what it's all about.

Not, countering the posts about how this won't be a mobile device with more mass appeal than the iPad, which it's not trying to be.

But hey, great points you made about it. Keep on being awesome.

willcapellaro
Jun 28, 2012, 02:54 PM
You do know companies like Wacom and N-Trig offer palm rejection to minimize accidental touches.

I was criticizing the iPad, but good to know.

In my dream world, Apple would do one of the following:
(All of these fall under the category of "Apple, you have a responsibility to acknowledge that a large number of your iPad users use, or want to use, a stylus/pen implement for certain applications. After said acknowledgement, keep these people in the ecosystem and make their lives delightful and easy."

1. Retina-ize the capacitive sensor: this would allow for much smaller stylus tips and possibly an micro-two pronged stylus tip that would act like Wacom's eraser. Let app developers have more access to actual sensor data so that they can make it more fluid, realistic, or usable.

2. Work with Wacom already. Buy digitizers from them - enabling pen (not stylus) input. Slap it on the new Ipad, allow the OS and apps to selectively disable or interpret the capacitive sensor.

3. Something else that replicates #2, but works with Apple's huge pride/legal hurdle.

willcapellaro
Jun 28, 2012, 03:07 PM
This is a niche, but it's MY niche. :D

The iPad dosen't offer pressure sensitivity or Pro creative apps. Direct drawing on a Macbook Pro requires the Cintiq, which is a pain in the butt to connect and tote around.

Yes, the iPad touch system is a superior portable computing metaphor for the vast majority of people. There are, however, some artists who want to be able to do work on the road, and the iPad falls short there for creatives.

I'm VERY interested in one of these.

Repeating my earlier augmentation of a similar comment, I'm all aboard the pressure sensitivity train as long as I get an actual pen akin to a Wacom.

Not a stylus. If you had a pressure sensitive stylus you'd still find it lacking. Evaluate what you actually like about Wacom's Intuos and Cintiq products - the implement is tapered to an actual point, the input is precise as well as sensitive. Plus hovering above the surface gives you an indication of cursor location without any actual drawing input until you touch it down - that subtle feedback is huge for precision. Plus: the eraser. I'd rank pressure sensitivity at the bottom of this list. I could even live without it: plenty of apps make do with some tapering at the beginning and end of strokes. The rest of the list, I kind of need.

As an Apple user who uses Windows reluctantly, I will be very torn if the Microsoft Surface Tablet gives use most of these. And I'd rather spend my money on a Cintiq than this ugly duckling (Cintiq's no prize pig either).

-tWv-
Jun 28, 2012, 03:10 PM
This actually looks promising. If they can pull it off I think it will still be a niche product but still very cool.

JAQ
Jun 28, 2012, 03:18 PM
All of the "how can they do this?" comments tell you something about how well the original Modbook was marketed: not nearly well enough. Conceptually, legally, there's nothing new here.

First, this is not "what the iPad should have been". Based on its sales, it's obvious the iPad was just about exactly "what the iPad should have been".

Second, there is most definitely a use for something like this. I'm a cartoonist, and work almost entirely digitally these days. I currently use two machines: a MacBook with a Wacom Intuos tablet for input, and a Lenovo Tablet PC convertible (the screen pivots and folds back to be used like a slate). Neither of them is ideal: with the MacBook/Intuos I can't use the stylus directly on the screen, and with the Lenovo the keyboard/mouse assembly adds to the bulk... and it doesn't run OS X. The lack of a keyboard on this is a big "so what?", when I'm drawing in Manga Studio, I rarely have any reason to touch the keyboard. I have a desktop computer for uses that involve typing.

The iPad is ideally suited for media consumers, and suitable enough for those who dabble in media creation. For professional media creators, it isn't that great... but this is. Whether the price will be affordable, and whether it'll reach a large enough market to be profitable, remains to be seen. This still isn't perfect (bigger and lighter would be nice) but the Modbook Pro is almost exactly what I want for drawing.

Pilgrim1099
Jun 28, 2012, 03:22 PM

That's exactly why this is a practical way to work using a pressure sensitive pen for graphic professionals, especially digital artists. Pen sensitivity is a must to have accurate line drawings with light to dark tones. And having a full version of Sketchbook Pro on that is KILLER. I use it on my iMac and it's as good as Corel Painter, but lighter and faster.

I say good for Modbook.

You know what's ironic? Steve Jobs said that styluses are a no-no. And yet, he ran the Pixar company that utilized 3-D graphic workstations that the pros there used with the mouse and tablets using a stylus. Most likely the latest and state of the art wacoms at the time. Right now, they're all probably using Cintiqs in every workstation. They even ray-trace 3-D physical models or mannikins to mo-cap, if I'm not mistaken.

----------

All of the "how can they do this?" comments tell you something about how well the original Modbook was marketed: not nearly well enough. Conceptually, legally, there's nothing new here.

First, this is not "what the iPad should have been". Based on its sales, it's obvious the iPad was just about exactly "what the iPad should have been".

Second, there is most definitely a use for something like this. I'm a cartoonist, and work almost entirely digitally these days. I currently use two machines: a MacBook with a Wacom Intuos tablet for input, and a Lenovo Tablet PC convertible (the screen pivots and folds back to be used like a slate). Neither of them is ideal: with the MacBook/Intuos I can't use the stylus directly on the screen, and with the Lenovo the keyboard/mouse assembly adds to the bulk... and it doesn't run OS X. The lack of a keyboard on this is a big "so what?", when I'm drawing in Manga Studio, I rarely have any reason to touch the keyboard. I have a desktop computer for uses that involve typing.

The iPad is ideally suited for media consumers, and suitable enough for those who dabble in media creation. For professional media creators, it isn't that great... but this is. Whether the price will be affordable, and whether it'll reach a large enough market to be profitable, remains to be seen. This still isn't perfect (bigger and lighter would be nice) but the Modbook Pro is almost exactly what I want for drawing.

Manga Studio is a SICK program. In fact, their digital inking tool is probably the most accurate I've ever seen next to Sketchbook Pro.

AppleFan1984
Jun 28, 2012, 03:23 PM
Crap! I remember those monsters. You would really need to workout everyday to be able to carry these things....
...yet the Outbound was smaller and lighter than Apple's best effort at the time.

Apple isn't always first or best at everything. Now and then a third party comes along that introduces something that inspires Apple.

Remember where iTunes came from? Just one of a long list.

Whether this stylus effort will pan out remains to be seen. But keep in mind that Apple filed a patent on a stylus just last month....

JAQ
Jun 28, 2012, 03:26 PM
I don't think anyone needs this: the whole point of a tablet is to be portable, which this isn't really since it still needs a keyboard. The whole point of a laptop is to be full-featured, which this isn't either.
You don't know what you're talking about. Just because you can't conceive of a use for it doesn't mean that other people don't have one. I've been begging for something like this (at an affordable price) for years, and I haven't been alone.
It's like an iPad that can run OS X and Windows, non-optimized for tablets at all, with faster hardware. And it's probably illegal to sell itÖ
You really have no idea whatsoever what you're talking about.

Renzatic
Jun 28, 2012, 03:26 PM

Flawed in so many ways!

Nice signature, by the way. Very appropriate.

Just because you don't see the appeal of it doesn't mean it's inherently flawed. For anyone interested in art or drafting, it's a godsend.

Pilgrim1099
Jun 28, 2012, 03:33 PM

Apple had five years to sue them.

Guess what?

They never did. Think about it.

Renzatic
Jun 28, 2012, 03:36 PM
Apple had five years to sue them.

Guess what?

They never did. Think about it.

Exactly. They're not selling 3rd party clones running OSX, they're modifying actual Apple hardware. They buy the hardware from them at (I assume) retail price, gut it, mod it up, and sell the results. Perfectly legal.

Pilgrim1099
Jun 28, 2012, 03:41 PM
Are you for real? You do know there have been Windows tablets for over 10 years now and guess what? They were a failure. Why? Because they were expensive, huge, heavy, hot machines that had crappy battery life. And the UI itself was not meant to be used as a touch based interface.

Apple made a device the way they wanted to make it; inexpensive, light, long battery life, and a new interface paradigm designed around touch. It's not at all a crippled device; it is what they wanted it to be.

You mean those tablets that were on sale at CompUSA on Chagrin Blvd in Beachwood? Yeah, those were the days. At least, Bill Gates was right that tablets were going to become a future reality and here we are among the craze of that technology.

The iPad is just a consumer media device, not built for professional work. However, Apple could have offered a 'pro' version of it, although they knew that Axiotron existed and therefore it provided a means that they did'nt have to go through the trouble of manufacturing. So, consumers had two choices: 1. Apple's iPad or 2. Axiotron (professional work)

Sooner or later, 'pro' tablets are going to be sought after and I think using the stylus is very handy for precision work and creating signatures on digital documents and so forth. I think Modbook has the right idea. It may not go mass market but eventually it could happen.

Sure, the Wacom Cintiq is very expensive, but that thing is a monster compared to any consumer tablet. If I had the money, that would be the first thing I'd buy for my studio work.

Oh, and I'm formerly from zip code 44121. Peace out.

APlotdevice
Jun 28, 2012, 03:47 PM

If Apple relaxed some of the restrictions in iOS we might just get more powerful art programs. Remember that it's built on Darwin, just like OS X. So in theory it could be made just as capable.

mjtomlin
Jun 28, 2012, 04:01 PM
The iPad is just a consumer media device, not built for professional work. However, Apple could have offered a 'pro' version of it...

So please tell me... As you're standing around with your pro tablet in one hand... what are some of professional things you would use it for?

Just curious, because I'm not exactly sure what you would do with it one handed that you can't do with the iPad as it is now? Stylus, Nope. Plenty of those including a soon to be released pressure sensitive stylus (http://tenonedesign.com/bluetiger.php) or that it can't do handwriting recognition (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/writepad/id293033512?mt=8) for note taking.

And do not tell me you'd need to set it down on a table to do anything professional with it, because then you've just completely removed the single advantage a tablet has over a laptop.

If the Axiotron was something people wanted it would've taken off years ago when it was first released, long before the iPad, I might add. There is an extremely limited audience for a full desktop computer in this form factor.

Renzatic
Jun 28, 2012, 04:06 PM
So please tell me... As you're standing around with your pro tablet in one hand... what are some of professional things you would use it for?

This (http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/)

or maybe...

This (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop.html)

...possibly even...

This (http://www.solidworks.com/)

:cool:

MacDav
Jun 28, 2012, 04:15 PM

They will yawn...as I'm doing right now.

Renzatic
Jun 28, 2012, 04:17 PM
Yawn? Really? Some of you people have no imagination whatsoever.

mjtomlin
Jun 28, 2012, 04:23 PM
This (http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/)

or maybe...

This (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop.html)

...possibly even...

This (http://www.solidworks.com/)

:cool:

You're joking right? In that case, why doesn't my desktop system provide me with a holodeck? Really? So you're saying a tablet computer that you would hold in one hand for an hour or so should contain a 2GHz Core processor in order to accomplish these types of things.

And please tell me why iOS wouldn't be able to do this on beefier hardware?

Yawn? Really? Some of you people have no imagination whatsoever

You're being more unrealistic then the other dude. Wake me up after computers can teleport real objects back and forth.

Cheffy Dave
Jun 28, 2012, 04:31 PM
Methinks we need to buy this Company, complete with employees, and blend the
MBA/iPad into an Industry leading Post PC product:eek::rolleyes::cool:

----------

Apple hasn't screwed with them yet, they may buy them, but they won't sue them, the Technology is :apple: perfect:cool:
My friends, it's coming! WAIT FOR IT!

Pilgrim1099
Jun 28, 2012, 04:35 PM
You're joking right? In that case, why doesn't my desktop system provide me with a holodeck? Really? So you're saying a tablet computer that you would hold in one hand for an hour or so should contain a 2GHz Core processor in order to accomplish these types of things.

You're being more unrealistic then the other dude. Wake me up after computers can teleport real objects back and forth.

Renzatic is not joking. The Modbook Pro CAN do a full version of Photoshop, CAD, Corel Painter, Anime Studio Pro, Manga Studio Pro, InDesign (page layout), Sketchbook Pro, or any content creation application.

I'm talking FULL versions compared to a stripped down iOS app. And with that Modbook, one can take it to a client in person and present the visuals there, even on the spot making changes if needed. Plus, from what I see on the Modbook, one can multi-task fully with a true file system.

2Ghz is pretty good but you're looking at the wrong specs. It's the RAM that's most important, not speed.

Oh, and as for computers teleporting real objects back and forth, you watch too much TRON. The day that happens, it'll be close to the 22nd Century or beyond. Of course, I'm well aware of early experimentation within the private sector on this but it is not perfected.

EDIT: Oh, and tablets are NOT meant to be held on your hands 24/7. They are meant to be held, placed on a surface or lap. When you digitally draw on the tablet, you hold it like you would with a sketchbook.

mjtomlin
Jun 28, 2012, 04:40 PM

How exactly can Apple sue them? They buy a MacBook (or you send yours in) and then they take it apart and Frankenstein it. There's nothing illegal about it.

Psystar got sued for illegally hacking Apple's operating system and then reselling it on non Apple hardware.

Renzatic
Jun 28, 2012, 04:45 PM

Hell, the Surface Pro does. As does a EEE Slate. As does this. I don't expect any of these tablets to have the battery life of the iPad (though in the case of the EEE Slate, it'd be nice to have some at least), but that doesn't mean they're completely useless otherwise. It's a work tablet, as opposed to a media tablet.

See, the programs I listed above all work best by touching a stylus directly to a screen. There's no disconnect, it's right there in front of you. You want to sculpt a bit on something in Zbrush, just touch the screen with your pen and apply pressure.

And guess what? A tablet is the perfect form factor for that kind of work. It's a type of PC that's nothing but a screen. You hold it in one hand, and draw.

And please tell me why iOS wouldn't be able to do this on beefier hardware?

Did I say it never would? Nothing's stopping the iPad from eventually becoming a fully capable media creation device in it's own right. Eventually being the key word here, because as of right now, it's most definitely not. It doesn't even have proper stylus support at the moment.

So until the day comes that iOS can run it's own rev of Photoshop (and I mean real PS, not what we've currently got), people are going to look for alternatives. This being one of them.

Yeah, I know. Might as well ask for the moon, right? Wait. What? How am I being unrealistic here?

robbyx
Jun 28, 2012, 04:47 PM

Wrong. Look at Mac sales versus iPad sales. There's a very small niche of power user geeks who would want the iPad you describe. And there surely aren't enough of them to warrant the R&D, support, and other associated costs.

mjtomlin
Jun 28, 2012, 04:52 PM
Renzatic is not joking. The Modbook Pro CAN do ...

I know what the ModBook Pro can do. I remember when they first did this years ago (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2279996,00.asp).. and guess what, it failed. There is an extremely limited audience for this. If you REALLY want this, then buy a ModBook Pro for christ's sake. There's a solution to your problem. I'm telling you Apple doesn't want to make this type of device, because it only appeals to an extremely limited number of people; mostly to people who want to do really high art / drawing directly on screen.

Apple doesn't make touch screen computers either, but there are companies that can install digitizers in your Macs to give you touch screen capabilities. Does that mean Apple will do the same thing someday. Nope. They've pretty much gone down the route of continuing to use touch based input devices instead. But the option is always there for people who need it.

Furthermore, there is no reason why a company couldn't write an iOS app to do this once the CPU/GPU become more powerful and enough RAM is installed... and I'd argue they are getting pretty damned close to it now.

Oh, and as for computers teleporting real objects back and forth, you watch too much TRON.

Yeah, that... was... a... joke... or something.

Renzatic
Jun 28, 2012, 04:59 PM
I'm telling you Apple doesn't want to make this type of device, because it only appeals to an extremely limited number of people; mostly to people who want to do really high art / drawing directly on screen.

So what you're saying is us pie in the sky dreamer types who want to user our iPads for more than looking at porn (SHUT UP YOU ALL DO IT TOO :mad:) and reading webpages should just give up because it won't appeal to my Grandma.

Guess Grandma is Apple's core market now. She'll be thrilled. HEY GRANDMA! YOU'RE SPECIAL NOW!

: old lady voice : yayyyy

Furthermore, there is no reason why a company couldn't write an iOS app to do this once the CPU/GPU become more powerful and enough RAM is installed... and I'd argue they are getting pretty damned close to it now.

It's getting there, but I don't expect it to reach that point for another 3-5 years yet. Not as long as Apple keeps using ARM processors to keep the battery life up.

mjtomlin
Jun 28, 2012, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I know. Might as well ask for the moon, right? Wait. What? How am I being unrealistic here?

Apple doesn't see the point in having a full fledged desktop OS running in a tablet type of device. That's why they don't make one. It's really that simple. It seems very unrealistic to me that you and a few others waste your time whining about it.

Again, if it is something you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY need to have, then write Axiotron and let them know you're interested. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to sell you a ModBook Pro. OR... go buy one of the devices you claim can already do these things.

Renzatic
Jun 28, 2012, 05:10 PM
I'm not whining about it. I'm calling out the "yawn stupid pass" people cuz they're ignert.

DaveSM
Jun 28, 2012, 05:23 PM

Totally agree with that. When they introduced the iPad I was disapointed that they wouldn't go that way...

XDL
Jun 28, 2012, 05:31 PM
The Modbook is awesome. When you want to get something done on the fly, this is how you do it.

The iPad is a fantastic device too. But itís for consumption. For productivity needs itís lacking. And why shouldnít be? Itís designed for people to enjoy media, not create it. If it were my only machine to generate material on then the screen is too small, the chip is too slow and the memory is too lacking. In itís present form itís not practical for professional use. Remember that term because there are many people who have been alarmed with Appleís product strategy. For a while there the iPad represented where Apple was headed in the years to come, but more on that later.

Enter the Modbook, which is a fantastic productivity device. Itís everything the iPad is not and vice-versa the iPad is everything itís not. Itís deigned for professionals to use to create media. It has a solid-size screen, a decent chip and interchangeable hard drive to knock iPadís spec right out of the market. And it has a stylus, which with its pressure sensitivity helps generate a wide range of creations in with the most natural and intuitive of ways. No more kindergarden-finger-painting. This is a number 2 pencil along with every other pencil weight ever conceived of by man.

I have a Modbook. I love it. As an illustrator, I have so much at my command. I have digital brushes and paints and pens that Iíd otherwise have to spend a fortune on the purchase in the non-virtual world. And I have the almighty power of ďlayersĒ and ďun-doĒ which gives you flexibility and choices in your work, not to mention ďcutĒ and ďpaste.Ē To illustrate, imagine writing anything without the ability erase back an idea let alone the ability to cut segments out and paste them in different areas. Thatís the difference between the iPad and the Modbook - one is a sheet of paper with words on it, the other is a sheet of paper with words on it and you have the pencil.

Also as a filmmaker, I very much enjoyed the power of the Modbook. Iíve been able to do a quick drawing of camera positions and send them out to my crewsí iPhones within moments. And editing film with a stylus is a cool experience. I have to admit itís not the permanent interface Iíd like to work with but in conjunction with a wireless mouse and keyboard, itís a very welcome break to the carpel inducing norm.

With Photoshop, the Modbook gives you greater control over your photo post-production. Touching up is very fine art, requiring very specific mouse movements. Many professionals use Cintiq monitors ( monitors that come with stylus interfaces ) and theyíre very cool to use but unfortunately theyíre not especially mobile. The Modbook allows you to work with Adobe directly on the screen and you can do it anywhere. And because itís essentially an Apple product, it works well with Apple peripherals like the wireless Bluetooth keyboard. Ok, sure, not always fun walking around with that in you bag but once you set up shop working with the keyboard and stylus ( and with FCP and Adobe you need a keyboard ) is a great work flow.

So why didnít the Modbook sell like hotcakes? Well, besides the niche aspect of itís market, as a user I can tell you it has one major problem: it weighs like three bricks. Iím not kidding, itís heavy. And because of that weight, it can be clumsy. Sure, itís about the weight of an earlier Macbook but that was something built to rest on your lap. That doesnít work with the Modbook. For it to function well with a human, you either hold it in your hands like a five pound clipboard or you lay it on a table flat like a pad of paper. On a table is fine. But in your hands man it gets tough after a while. I kinda think itís like holding a kid. Sure itís fine at first, but try walking around all day like that. Yeesh!

The Modbook is also not something I use exclusively. Itís not my primary computer. I do most of my correspondence and text composition on my Macbook Pro 17. I do most film editing on my Mac Tower in the office. I find it supplements, not replaces. There are some people I know who use it as their primary machine and I know itís possible. But for me the screen is not large enough or the chip ultimately isnít powerful enough for multiple graphics program use. It could be the function of the heaviness and clumsiness of the screen. Iíve propped it up and typed with it (there are these stands you can get which means one more thing in your bag) or I can just use my Macbook pro. Consequently, my computer bag weighs a ton between the two machines if I have to use them and the power plugs, drives and various junk. On set, PAís hate having to lift it.

Now, when I heard about the new Modbook Pro my first thought was what are the weight specs. I havenít found any yet. To be honest, I love my current Modbook. I donít need it to be more powerful per se. Itís powerful enough for my needs because itís rare that I work with more than one program at a time. When Iím there, Iím there for a reason. Therefore when Photoshop, Sketchbook Pro or After Effects are open itís usually just those one programs. So power - relatively speaking because you can always use more power - is something you donít necessarily need immediately.

What I do need is mobility. So if the Modbook Pro weights a ton Iím not interested. I need it to be as thin as the iPad only bigger. I know, it ainít gonna happen. But if itís a Mod of a Macbook Pro I suspect it will be still plenty heavy. It may be that itís lighter than the current Modbook but I canít see it being a lot lighter. Iím hoping Iím wrong though and until I hold one in my hands Iíll never know. Maybe Iíll be surprised though. Now if the Modbook Pro conversion kit converts a Macbook Air, then done - Iíll put my money down today. Thatís what professionals need.

But what does this mean for Apple? Well, with the recent launch of the slimmer Macbook Pro it would appear mac has not completely abandoned itís professional users and more importantly may never be. Neglect for a bit sure, but not disavow. And while weíre on the subject, ďProfessional UserĒ probably is too haughty of a word for a computer. ďProductivity UserĒ versus ďConsumption UserĒ ( reading books, watching movies, playing games, etc. ) is probably better. After all, there are plenty of people who would like to author a paper or spread sheet or budget that arenít getting paid for it. They just like the Apple product catalog to do so. So anyone who wants to get something done on a computer would certainly enjoy using Mac. Thatís obvious and yet with the iPhone and iPad tripling Macís already high-priced stock maybe itís not so obvious. But the point is, thereís room for productivity on devices and Mac still believes that.

So what do I want? An iPad Pro!

I need something that has a stylus. I need something that is portable. I need something that is powerful. I need a 13 to 15-inch screen thatís essentially just the screen ( like the iPad ). And if I really wanted to go bonkers, a 17 or 20 inch screen would be awesome. Putting a stylus to an 8-inch screen just wonít cut it. The surface is too small and mostly why most artists enjoy isles and two-foot sketch pads. Is that a pipe-dream? Maybe, but then again maybe not. The iPad has to grow up at some point. At some point it canít get any faster or clearer to work with, itís plenty fast and plenty retina clear as it is now. It has to diversify what it does and who it caters too.

A 15-inch iPad Pro would create a newer, larger niche, one that firmly supports those who have productivity needs. Thatís a growing population. People would interface with these devices and produce more human, personal creations. Imagine if every student took notes on a properly-size digital notebook in their own handwriting. This alone might just bring back hand-writing and penmanship, and for that individual-enough-of-an-expression-alone I support the iPad Pro.

So final words:

Modbook Pro - if itís lighter Iím there. If itís more powerful even better. If it can replace my laptop and tablet productivity combo, well thatís just bliss. Hereís hoping Modbook can achieve this with a Macbook Air-type specs though or even better, hereís hoping Mac says, ď You know what, we need to do this anyways.Ē

At least, one can hope.

mjtomlin
Jun 28, 2012, 05:33 PM
So what you're saying is us pie in the sky dreamer types who want to user our iPads for more than looking at porn (SHUT UP YOU ALL DO IT TOO :mad:) and reading webpages...

It's getting there, but I don't expect it to reach that point for another 3-5 years yet. Not as long as Apple keeps using ARM processors to keep the battery life up.

The iPad is as popular as it is because it does have the battery life it has. It can be out in the field and away from a power source for a long time. That's one of the main benefits of it. Another main benefit... it's dead simple to use, there is no OS overhead that comes with desktop computing; you turn it on, there's your apps, touch the one you want to use.

Furthermore,

I've created spreadsheets for work using Pages.
I've ssh'd into my web server.
I've edited web pages.
I've designed web pages, forms and signs.
I draw.
I've written long stories (using a keyboard no less).

...and many other productive things all on my iPad.

Are all these things easier to do on my iPad then at my desktop computer? Absolutely not! The iPad wasn't designed to be a replacement... no tablet or any other device with a small screen can be as productive as a larger screen device. Period. But don't try and tell me that I can't do all those things on the iPad, because it is possible and I have done them.

Sure there's one thing that a tablet is absolutely perfect for, and that's design and drawing because it's direct. That's why there have been tablet displays for a long time now.

mjtomlin
Jun 28, 2012, 05:47 PM
I'm not whining about it. I'm calling out the "yawn stupid pass" people cuz they're ignert.

Honestly, I don't think the ModBook is a stupid idea. I think it's great that there's a company out there that wants to fill a niche.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, there's another company that will install a digitizer to make your Mac display touchable.

There used to be a company that sold Macs with Linux preinstalled.

All of these are great ideas and more power to those companies and the people that needed these things. All I said is that they've tried this ModBook before (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2279996,00.asp) and it didn't work. Why would Apple want to attempt it?

I just think it's pretty stupid to lament a product because it doesn't do the one thing you need it to when it is obviously a product millions and millions of people do find useful. And the whole notion that it's ONLY a content consumption device just reeks of ignorance. You want to blame others as having a lack of imagination when they've obviously found many, many more ways to make the iPad useful then you have. Sorry, that's just how some of these posts come across to me.

petsounds
Jun 28, 2012, 06:05 PM
For a moment, when I saw "pen-based" and "book" it made me think Apple was coming out with a book form-factor tablet similar to Microsoft's Courier tablet concept. That is still the type of tablet I'd like to have, at least for most tasks like writing, note-taking, drawing, calendars, etc. I'm still disappointed that MS canceled the project. Surface makes sense in terms of their overall Windows 8 branding, but that doesn't mean it's a better product than Courier would have been.

OLDCODGER
Jun 28, 2012, 06:13 PM
For some time now, I've wanted a laptop - without the lap! This looks like a good start - providing that I could run Snow Leopard and Ubuntu on it.

Carouser
Jun 28, 2012, 06:53 PM
Yep, impressing you is my #1 priority. That's what it's all about.

Not, countering the posts about how this won't be a mobile device with more mass appeal than the iPad, which it's not trying to be.

But hey, great points you made about it. Keep on being awesome.

So you agree that it's a niche product for a small set of users. Well done. I just wonder why you think people who don't need it are 'kiddies' and why anyone (including the actual P. Engs you don't realize you're talking to) would care about some Wacom jockey who blabs about their Serious Work as though anyone who uses a ModBook is helping "design the whole physical world around us". As the kids say, "LOL".

shelob8888
Jun 28, 2012, 07:46 PM
so, this Modbook company buys a 13" Macbook Pro from Apple, modifies it, puts it into their case, and re-sells it as their own product, with their own branding? There is no way apple will allow this, this is just silly, not to mention illegal... Is there something I'm missing? :confused:

Renzatic
Jun 28, 2012, 08:01 PM
I just think it's pretty stupid to lament a product because it doesn't do the one thing you need it to when it is obviously a product millions and millions of people do find useful. And the whole notion that it's ONLY a content consumption device just reeks of ignorance. You want to blame others as having a lack of imagination when they've obviously found many, many more ways to make the iPad useful then you have. Sorry, that's just how some of these posts come across to me.

I'm not bashing the iPad so much as using it as a counterpoint whenever someone comes in and holds it up as the standard all tablets should adhere to. If it's an x86 tablet capable of running desktop applcations, well...that's not how the iPad does it, so it's dumb. If it has a USB port, then HA! The iPad sold millions without a USB port! It's completely unnecessary. Nevermind the fact that it'd make an already useful device that much more useful with its inclusion. It doesn't have it because it's dumb to have it, and it's dumb to have it because the iPad doesn't have it already. It's a mobius strip of dumb, and an incredibly narrow point of view.

Don't think I hate the iPad or anything. I've got one myself, and I think it's grand. It's simple to use, easy to carry around, and lasts forever on a charge. To me, it's the closest anyone has come to making a perfect portable computer. I like it so much, I wish I could do more with it. But right now I can't. And that's what I lament.

so, this Modbook company buys a 13" Macbook Pro from Apple, modifies it, puts it into their case, and re-sells it as their own product, with their own branding? There is no way apple will allow this, this is just silly, not to mention illegal... Is there something I'm missing? :confused:

Man. Son. Sir. Have you not read any of the replies in this thread? They're not taking Macbooks and rebranding them, hoping that Apple doesn't notice. They're taking Macbooks they paid for with their own money, converting them, and selling them as...that's right...converted Macbooks. It's an aftermarket thing, and perfectly legal.

charlituna
Jun 28, 2012, 09:31 PM

Same way they always have - unauthorized modification = no service. Next customer

----------

Look at how many other sites already have articles on it and ask yourself that again.

Just because another site or even several have doesn't mean something is worthy of top bill or even inclusion

----------

They aren't building a computer but modifying an Apple one. So the OS issue isn't one

----------

And yet hospitals etc are getting iPads by the drove.

blow45
Jun 28, 2012, 09:39 PM
I'm not bashing the iPad so much as using it as a counterpoint whenever someone comes in and holds it up as the standard all tablets should adhere to. If it's an x86 tablet capable of running desktop applcations, well...that's not how the iPad does it, so it's dumb. If it has a USB port, then HA! The iPad sold millions without a USB port! It's completely unnecessary. Nevermind the fact that it'd make an already useful device that much more useful with its inclusion. It doesn't have it because it's dumb to have it, and it's dumb to have it because the iPad doesn't have it already. It's a mobius strip of dumb, and an incredibly narrow point of view.

Don't think I hate the iPad or anything. I've got one myself, and I think it's grand. It's simple to use, easy to carry around, and lasts forever on a charge. To me, it's the closest anyone has come to making a perfect portable computer. I like it so much, I wish I could do more with it. But right now I can't. And that's what I lament.

Cool post, 100% with you on this one. Yes it is the closest to a perfect portable computer, i love my ipads too.

Apple has made choices with pros and cons on the iPad, overall it's been such a success story because on the whole it has been a very effective combination of elements. But who wouldn't want to just stick it in via USB to their mac or pc and just drag and drop a few videos, music, photo whatever files without having to go through the monstrous iTunes, with sync this, sync that, dont sync this... Who wouldnt want it to power an extrenal 2.5" hd, just stick it there and get some files to the iPad....There the iPad doesn't work that well. It's a great product, it's what finally broke tablets through, but it's not the end all and be all.

coldmack
Jun 28, 2012, 09:44 PM
And yet hospitals etc are getting iPads by the drove.

This is one case I could say they don't know any better. Then again the last hospital I visited they were still using craptop Dell tablets.

hayesk
Jun 28, 2012, 09:51 PM
The Modbook is awesome. When you want to get something done on the fly, this is how you do it.

The iPad is a fantastic device too. But itís for consumption.

Thank you for saying this up front, it saved me from reading your long post. The moment anyone claims the iPad is only for consumption, they lose all credibility. That's not to detract frm this modbook, but people create on the iPad every day.

----------

This is one case I could say they don't know any better. Then again the last hospital I visited they were still using craptop Dell tablets.

You could say that. You'd be wrong though. The iPads are perfect for hospital applications.

Kwill
Jun 28, 2012, 09:52 PM
The Modbook could be desirable to artists as a portable, less expensive, all-in-one Cintiq (http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Cintiq/Cintiq24HD.aspx)

http://www.youtube.com/embed/79SdxuA1WjY?rel=0&modestbranding=1&autoplay=1

charlituna
Jun 28, 2012, 10:30 PM
Wrong, the iPad's success proves nothing of the sort. As the iPad stands it is crippled.

that is your opinion and it is not a universal one.

if you don't like what the iPad can do, don't buy it. simple enough. But just because it doesn't do what you think it should doesn't make it 'crippled'

----------

Sure but it won't be by Apple. It will be by some buyer that has a computer with a failed logic board or hard drive that is refused service by Apple even though they got Apple Care because it was modified only to find out that the ModBook warranty only covers the parts they installed.

----------

What most of you don't realize is that not only is this perfectly legal, but that Apple ALREADY SANCTIONED the Modbook in the past. They've been through several different license types sorting this out, but they basically treat this like a third-party accessory.

If they had 'sanctioned' this they wouldn't be considering it a warranty void.

THey aren't suing the company for doing it but that doesn't mean that they actually approve of it or consider it a legit move to make. Which is why the warning that you won't have a warranty through Apple anymore

----------

Steve Jobs said that styluses are a no-no.

First off, Steve NEVER said that. Second he was talking about a touchscreen phone NOT a computer.

He was speaking directly to the current state of PDAs and phones that required a stylus or the damn thing wouldn't work. THAT is what he said "if you see a stylus" about. NOT that he hated them, that he didn't want them used etc. the iPhone and iPad have supported a stylus if you want to use it since day one. Hell Apple even sold them in the stores until the shoplifting got so bad they had to pull them.

----------

So what you're saying is us pie in the sky dreamer types who want to user our iPads for more than looking at porn (SHUT UP YOU ALL DO IT TOO :mad:) and reading webpages should just give up because it won't appeal to my Grandma.

if that is all you are doing on your iPad then you might want to take a night school class or something cause the iPad can do a hell of a lot more than that. Learn to use it instead of just listening to Ballmer's version of what it can and can't do and then we can talk

----------

The iPad is a fantastic device too. But it’s for consumption. For productivity needs it’s lacking.

Hey look guys. it's Steve Ballmer.

The iPad is for way way more than consumption. Perhaps if you actually used one, really used it, you would know that.

Just because you can't edit a 4 hour imax 3d movie on it with only one battery charge like you think you should be able to doesn't mean that it can't be used for productivity or creation.

----------

The Modbook could be desirable to artists as a portable, less expensive, all-in-one Cintiq (http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Cintiq/Cintiq24HD.aspx)

this would be comparable to the 12 inch Cintiq which is $1000. And this mod will cost you about $1200 more than the price of the computer they are modifying. so no it's not really less expensive at all.

ThunderSkunk
Jun 28, 2012, 10:33 PM
I just wonder why you think people who don't need it are 'kiddies' .

I don't know why either, since that's not what I said or implied.
I'd expect better reading comprehension from a P.E..

----------

There is no way apple will allow this, this is just silly, not to mention illegal... Is there something I'm missing? :confused:

Plenty. Try reading the article, or the thread, before posting next time.

MattInOz
Jun 28, 2012, 11:15 PM

The original Modbook company was an official 'Apple Value-adding Reseller' as long as the new company is as well, Apple not only allows it they provide the company with Licensed hardware to modify. Most of the other value added resellers are very niche but there are a few around.

Scott6666
Jun 28, 2012, 11:28 PM

I agree. Legal for end user to mod. Not agree its legal for company to mod and try to profit from resell.

Anything that impacts the Apple brand, even tangentially, will be challenged.

Nothing for Apple to gain by leaving this kind of crazy stuff out there. Nothing to be lost by Apple by shutting it down.

Renzatic
Jun 28, 2012, 11:51 PM
I agree. Legal for end user to mod. Not agree its legal for company to mod and try to profit from resell.

Apple made their profit off the laptops when they sold them to the company to mod. They're theirs to do with as they please.

Think of it like this: they're charging extra for the labor and the parts for the conversion. As far as Apple is concerned, they're only yet another retailer selling Macbooks.

linkgx1
Jun 29, 2012, 12:26 AM
that is your opinion and it is not a universal one.

if you don't like what the iPad can do, don't buy it. simple enough. But just because it doesn't do what you think it should doesn't make it 'crippled'

----------

Sure but it won't be by Apple. It will be by some buyer that has a computer with a failed logic board or hard drive that is refused service by Apple even though they got Apple Care because it was modified only to find out that the ModBook warranty only covers the parts they installed.

----------

If they had 'sanctioned' this they wouldn't be considering it a warranty void.

THey aren't suing the company for doing it but that doesn't mean that they actually approve of it or consider it a legit move to make. Which is why the warning that you won't have a warranty through Apple anymore

----------

First off, Steve NEVER said that. Second he was talking about a touchscreen phone NOT a computer.

He was speaking directly to the current state of PDAs and phones that required a stylus or the damn thing wouldn't work. THAT is what he said "if you see a stylus" about. NOT that he hated them, that he didn't want them used etc. the iPhone and iPad have supported a stylus if you want to use it since day one. Hell Apple even sold them in the stores until the shoplifting got so bad they had to pull them.

----------

if that is all you are doing on your iPad then you might want to take a night school class or something cause the iPad can do a hell of a lot more than that. Learn to use it instead of just listening to Ballmer's version of what it can and can't do and then we can talk

----------

Hey look guys. it's Steve Ballmer.

The iPad is for way way more than consumption. Perhaps if you actually used one, really used it, you would know that.

Just because you can't edit a 4 hour imax 3d movie on it with only one battery charge like you think you should be able to doesn't mean that it can't be used for productivity or creation.

----------

this would be comparable to the 12 inch Cintiq which is $1000. And this mod will cost you about $1200 more than the price of the computer they are modifying. so no it's not really less expensive at all.
This is all just terrible, everything you said.

Now we're going to go all vague with productivity? What the HELL?

iPad simply are not good for creating professionally. AT.ALL.

The iPad is almost compltely opposite from a Macbook Pro. Meaning, Macs are usually used FOR creativity because of their versatility, quickness and power. An iPad can't really do what a Mac does.

If, say, Micro$oft we're to come out with a tablet that lets you use a pen and full photoshop, then that certainly goes beyond what the iPad can do.

The iPad (and so far Android devices) are more or less for consumption than creation. Unreal 3 Engine runs on the Surface PRO tablet....it doesn't on iPad or the Nexus 7. Those devices right now are just focused on CONSUMPTION.

The reason why tablets failed before was that they always tried focusing on productivity, creation, etc. They didn't realize, until Apple (and still don't) people prefer consuming until there is a way to create the right way.Not saying that an iPad can't be productive, but Windows has sorta defined productivity.

Renzatic
Jun 29, 2012, 12:29 AM

Eh...I've done a little more than watch porn with it (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3018396/Tut.jpg).

...and another shot at full res iPad 3 resolution just to show off (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3018396/Tut_2.jpg).

Yup. Wrote a little Photoshop tutorial using Pages. It was alright. I kinda like the simplicity of it all, plus laying out and resizing images using the touchscreen was kinda cool. But I sure as hell didn't like trying to land the cursor in one specific spot using only my finger. If you want to get in front of the first line of a paragraph, you'll spend at least a good 30 seconds stabbing at it with your finger. It really needs a good thin point stylus for those moments when you need to get exacting. Oh, and sure as doubly hell didn't like the constant crashing. I'd be doing my thing when suddenly...boop. I'm on the springboard. At least I didn't lose any work.

The iPad isn't quite there yet as far as heavy duty computer work goes. It's great for showing us a preview of what the future will hold. I mean I do have to admit that laying back in my chair with my feet propped up on the desk while I worked on a document was a neat experience...

...but...

...it's too rough, too weak. The iPad doesn't offer nearly enough flexibility or power to go head to head with even a Macbook Air yet. It's almost there, but not quite. We've still got a few more miles to go before we're truly living in a post-PC world.

Edit: The iPad is a good device to use while you're in a pinch and don't have any other options. It's capable enough to be usable, but only just.

Also I play Nintendo games on it, too.

blow45
Jun 29, 2012, 12:50 AM
Boys don't over complicate, it's not about creating on the iPad or not, it's about the format, book type format makes for lovely reading of the web,books etc, touch interface gives possibilities for ui vs. Notebook format for keyboard use and mouse use with added screen real estate. At the end of the day it's simple. Would a tablet mac have plenty of uses, it sure would, the mod book looks really nice, but no one can have it all on one device, that is in one fom factor. Ample as that.

I love my iPad cause I lean back and read my rss feeds, my news, my books, the web (reader mode in anything I can), mail, readabilty, etc. this is all very liberating without the keyboard thing,mthats why I personally was waiting for the iPad for years, for Presicely this type of usage, the added bonus is the countless great apps that take advantage of the interface of added uses.

When I got to do some work I wither stick a keyboard, or most probably I get to a mac with a keyboard. I mean there are not that many things to do with a computer, some cad or design app, some scientific specialised app, a database, , excel word processing, YouTube and porn.

benji888
Jun 29, 2012, 03:13 AM
I'm glad to hear they are doing this again, now that the iPad has come out I think the modBook can find it's market. :D

"why not use the MacBook Air?" ... "They should do this with the Retina MacBook Pro!" ...I think there are several reasons for this, the biggest being: if I am not mistaken, the MacBook Pros (according to iFixIt.com, but, their site is down for maintenance ATM) are more accessible than either the Air or Retina, and, for legal reasons, I think it needs to be a mod that you can make yourself.

I think there are 3 reasons they are using the MacBook Pro 13", really,
1: this is the easiest to gut-out and modify.
2: this will be something for people who create content and needs to have the power/ports they need.
3: cost. this is the least expensive and easiest way to do this mod and keep Apple's hardware intact.

(Maybe they can also do the 15" later?)

the iPad is a consumer device, it is designed for consumerism, not for creating content...this will be useful for artists and others that do photo-retouching and such as well.

Basically, this is a Wacom tablet integrated into a screen, they take the innards out of a MacBook Pro, make a new case for the Apple hardware and put it all together. So anyone that has or would consider using a wacom or other such touch device with their computer would most definitely be interested in this. :cool:

Sure, compared to an iPad, it might be heavy, but this would most likely be on your lap or desk, not held in your hand like an iPad. It is as mobile as a laptop. For the desk, I'm sure one could get an adjustable stand/device already made for laptops that would work with this.

"Is it legal?" ... "They will just get sued like Psystar!" ...Unlike other companies that have tried to use Apple's MacOS with their own hardware, this is not the case here, here they are keeping Apple's hardware intact, gutting it out of the MacBook Pro unibody and putting it in a new body that has a built in wacom pen-based touchscreen. They leave the ports intact, except one: it uses one of the USB3 ports (which makes this a USB peripheral device, they have conformed to Apple's standards for this, and even worked with them)... (anyone click on the links in this article? no? try this: http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro).

cost: it won't be cheap. You are buying a MacBook Pro 13", and then you are buying a wacom touchscreen, and paying them for the modifications. Why don't they just buy the parts and make their own computer? Because that is where they would get into legal issues w/Apple. I think it is done this way to keep on the up and up with Apple. (Ultimately, if they succeed, Apple could end up buying them out at some point. I do see, at some point in the future, all of Apple's products becoming touchscreen devices.) ...(check out the previous model of modBook: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ModBook)

dr Dunkel
Jun 29, 2012, 04:16 AM
Jobs: If you see a stylus or a task manager, 'they blew it'

gloryunited
Jun 29, 2012, 04:33 AM
960GB SSD...how much would this thing cost?! :eek:

Amazing Iceman
Jun 29, 2012, 09:36 AM
...yet the Outbound was smaller and lighter than Apple's best effort at the time.

Apple isn't always first or best at everything. Now and then a third party comes along that introduces something that inspires Apple.

Remember where iTunes came from? Just one of a long list.

Whether this stylus effort will pan out remains to be seen. But keep in mind that Apple filed a patent on a stylus just last month....

Well, Steve is not around anymore. He had a special way of thinking that most of us wouldn't understand.
Tim is more business oriented and I'm sure he is more open to supply the demand for certain products.

kitsunestudios
Jun 29, 2012, 10:08 AM
Repeating my earlier augmentation of a similar comment, I'm all aboard the pressure sensitivity train as long as I get an actual pen akin to a Wacom.

Not a stylus. If you had a pressure sensitive stylus you'd still find it lacking.

I think you might be cutting the definition a little fine; my wacom pen is technically a stylus. But yes, according to the site, this will be a full Wacom-branded pressure-sensitive pen.

Despite the popularity of the iPad and Android tablets, there are still a few Windows tablet devices like the modbook out there. The ASUS EEE Slate EP121 is a good example of the breed, and one I've actually been considering instead of an MBA for a portable system.

BornAgainApple
Jun 29, 2012, 11:47 AM
Not sure if anyone else has posted earlier, but what about heat dissipation? This thing looks to be fully enclosed from the few photos they offer on their website.

Thunderhawks
Jun 29, 2012, 11:54 AM
Nice signature, by the way. Very appropriate.

Just because you don't see the appeal of it doesn't mean it's inherently flawed. For anyone interested in art or drafting, it's a godsend.

My daughter is in art and needs to sketch, draft, use CAD etc., but she can do all of that with her MacBook Pro and she does:-)

You can use tablets (yes, another thing to log around) for input, so the only drawback is having to lug around another piece of equipment.

Don't know about the weight comparison.

The MOD is an extreme niche product born out by the fact that it was not successful the first time around.

With the MBA and ipad the initial gap to this MOD is getting narrowed.

I just don't see the owner (kudos for not giving up if he believes) /inventor
being successful with it.

Success as in sales = profits to survive.

SQUALL8765
Jun 29, 2012, 12:11 PM
I've had my eyes on the Modbook for years but the lack of updates and the Pro version kept me from buying one. I admit, I kind of wish they used a higher end Macbook Pro for their hardware but I understand that if they did that then the Modbook Pro would really be too bulky and power hungry.

I have a 15" Fujitsu Lifebook touchscreen that I've used for Photoshop work and it's just a Core i5 with 8gb of RAM and it does everything I need it to. So, I can see that the Modbook Pro with Core i7 and 16gb of RAM would be awesome by comparison. The best part has to be the Thunderbolt port because that will open it up enough for high-end peripherals and expansion if somebody ever releases a PCI-Express Thunderbolt chassis. Should be a winner this time around!

Stingray454
Jun 29, 2012, 02:06 PM
I wonder what model MBP is required for this. I have a 2008 MBP (first Aluminium case one, with removeable battery) that has a broken keyboard. This would be a perfect application for it.

baryon
Jun 29, 2012, 03:00 PM
You don't know what you're talking about. Just because you can't conceive of a use for it doesn't mean that other people don't have one. I've been begging for something like this (at an affordable price) for years, and I haven't been alone.

You really have no idea whatsoever what you're talking about.

How about this: you have no idea what I'm talking about. Let me say it again: you have no idea what I'm talking about. Maybe if I said it a third time I'd win the argument?

I'm not saying no one has a use for this, but that it's not something that many people will find a use for. Actually, they did do a version of this before and only sold very few of it.

Many people say that this is what the iPad should be like. What I'm saying is that the iPad is a product designed for a majority of people, while this isn't, so the iPad would not benefit from being like this, it would actually not work very well at all.

Fandongo
Jun 29, 2012, 03:35 PM

Don't be so naive.

Imagine how fluid and accurate an onscreen keyboard will be...

once I install those pen tips into each of my fingers.
(intensified haptic feedback)

JoJo Zzang
Jun 29, 2012, 09:14 PM
Why is this Page 1 news?

Because it is Apple related and newsworthy as it is interesting and borderline innovative utilizing an existing product and "shaping" it to what consumers are demanding. There is an interest with individuals involving this product.

So why be a negative nancy? Just ignore it and don't read the news posted. It is a choice. Otherwise - how about posting something contributing rather than a self absorbed sense of importance on what you deem important? Thanks. :D

MagnusVonMagnum
Jun 30, 2012, 12:55 AM

The iPad should have a pen/stylus option for artists. Using your finger simply doesn't cut it for those people/uses. I know Steve Jobs didn't like the idea of a stylus for the iPhone (because people tend to lose it and it's a PITA for basic stuff), but having the OPTION for certain applications (signature signing, drawing, Photoshop type editing, etc.) is invaluable. I think I read Apple is reconsidering its position for just these reasons. Using a finger to draw fine art is like being forced to use kindergarten finger paints instead of a fine brush and canvas.

Carouser
Jun 30, 2012, 09:35 AM
Using a finger to draw fine art is like being forced to use kindergarten finger paints instead of a fine brush and canvas.

Following your analogy, complaining that the iPad doesn't have a stylus option is like complaining that finger paints don't also have a 'fine brush and canvas option'. Instead of just buying the fine brush and canvas which already exist, you go out and buy finger paint, complain that it's not something else, and then expect the manufacturer to kludge their hugely successful product into something significantly different.

MagnusVonMagnum
Jun 30, 2012, 06:57 PM
Following your analogy, complaining that the iPad doesn't have a stylus option is like complaining that finger paints don't also have a 'fine brush and canvas option'. Instead of just buying the fine brush and canvas which already exist, you go out and buy finger paint, complain that it's not something else, and then expect the manufacturer to kludge their hugely successful product into something significantly different.

That has to be one of the most short-sighted posts I've ever read. Because something sells a large number of units, does that mean they shouldn't try to increase the reach and scope of the product? I guess that explains why they never put decent graphics cards in their machines (so they can make it 1/8th an inch thinner since that is just SO much more important than performance) and fanboys like to toot their horn for them with the "it's selling well so it MUST be perfect" routine. :rolleyes:

And FYI, not having a stylus option is one of the reasons I have NOT bought an iPad, so your after the fact concept is a bit flawed. If I haven't bought one for that reason, so have others. But Apple is making money, so a stylus option MUST be a bad idea. :rolleyes:

earwax69
Jun 30, 2012, 07:45 PM
Just to say, the last ModBook Pro was $4,998 for the basic configuration!

What a joke!

http://ca.askmen.com/entertainment/gadget/modbook-pro.html

Carouser
Jun 30, 2012, 09:25 PM
bla bla bla

Hey, I just followed your analogy to its logical conclusion. If you don't like it, try making a better post next time.

EDIT: You don't need to post the rolleyes after every strawman you type, everyone already knows what to do.

Glootyguy
Jul 2, 2012, 01:56 AM
I really really want this. My ONLY requirement is at least two (programable) buttons somewhere to the left or right of the screen. I work in animation, and use a cintiq every day. I absolutely need a quick undo button, as well as another button that I could assign as the space bar so I can easily move around large canvasses in photoshop. This thing would allow me to be in the writers room, drawing as we are breaking story. Dream come true. I would pay 5k for this if it had those buttons.
Without the buttons, I don't think its worth it for any price. SO CLOSE.

bertman
Jul 2, 2012, 10:47 AM
Just to say, the last ModBook Pro was $4,998 for the basic configuration!

I'm guessing touchscreens are cheaper now; I'd anticipate less of a difference from the MBP to the Axiotron product.

No joke, they are making a product, and if people want to pay for them to package it rather than attaching a Wacom to the own MBP, great.

Good luck Axiotron!