PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome Browser, Google Drive Coming to iOS [Now Available]

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 28, 2012, 12:42 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/28/google-chrome-browser-google-drive-coming-to-ios/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/chrome.jpg

Google announced today (http://allthingsd.com/20120628/google-chrome-310-million-active-users-nearly-double-that-of-2011/?mod=tweet) that it is releasing a version of its Google Chrome for the iPhone and iPad. The company says it will go live on the App Store later today. Macquarie analyst Ben Schacter predicted last month (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/15/google-chrome-browser-coming-to-ios/) that Google Chrome was coming to iOS.

While Chrome for iOS will include a number of key features, including incognito mode and tab syncing across devices, the browser will still use Apple's WebKit-based engine required by the App Store developer guidelines. It also will lack the Nitro JavaScript engine that Apple uses to speed Safari's performance. But, there is one main obstacle to Chrome on iOS, as noted by The Next Web (http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/06/28/google-announces-chrome-for-iphone-arriving-later-today/):
The biggest hurdle that Chrome features, of course, is that it cannot be set to be the default browser on iOS devices, a capability that Apple also reserves for Safari. So, while you can use the browser to your heart's content, it will not be the default handler for any URLs clicked. That's a huge hurdle to overcome.tSKZy2ayvMs
Google Drive -- the DropBox competitor released earlier this year (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/24/google-drive-dropbox-microsofts-skydrive-offer-replacements-for-idisk/) -- also gained an iOS client (http://www.macstories.net/news/google-drive-for-ios-now-available/). [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-drive/id507874739?mt=8)]

Update: Chrome for iOS is now live on the App Store. [Direct Link (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chrome/id535886823)]

Article Link: Google Chrome Browser, Google Drive Coming to iOS [Now Available] (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/28/google-chrome-browser-google-drive-coming-to-ios/)

Skika
Jun 28, 2012, 12:43 PM
oh my

Feed Me
Jun 28, 2012, 12:43 PM
Cool, a chrome Android skin for UIWebView.

mac.cali
Jun 28, 2012, 12:44 PM
Can't wait to try them out.

Kurwenal
Jun 28, 2012, 12:44 PM
While Chrome for iOS will include a number of key features, including incognito mode and tab syncing across devices

I wonder if it syncs bookmarks and passwords.

ETA:

Google chrome for iOS features all of the tab syncing and credential syncing features of Chrome for Android, allowing you to carry over your settings and browsing from any device to the iPhone and iPad.

Awesome.

vtstarck
Jun 28, 2012, 12:45 PM
More iOS users will have Chrome than Android users.

cypherpunks01
Jun 28, 2012, 12:45 PM
Apple, give us the choice!

Competition leads to better browsers.

Kyrra
Jun 28, 2012, 12:46 PM
I wonder if it syncs bookmarks and passwords.

ETA:

It does. It will sync bookmarks, passwords, and open tabs from all other chrome browsers you're logged into.

Source: I'm watching the live stream.

blackhand1001
Jun 28, 2012, 12:46 PM

This is essentially gonna be safari with a chrome tab interface. The engine is pretty much identical to safari. Its not like the android version that blows the lid off in speed of every other mobile browser.

enklined
Jun 28, 2012, 12:47 PM
Annnnnnd now the wait begins for a jailbreak dev to make a tweak to allow Chrome to be the default browser (pretty please?).

Looking forward to trying Chrome out, though. And, of course, Google Drive.

SandboxGeneral
Jun 28, 2012, 12:47 PM
This is welcomed news! Too bad though on the Apple default browser requirement.

maximus06
Jun 28, 2012, 12:48 PM
Annnnnnd now the wait begins for a jailbreak dev to make a tweak to allow Chrome to be the default browser (pretty please?).

This.

Fandongo
Jun 28, 2012, 12:48 PM
And targeting more expensive ads!

Mazda 3s
Jun 28, 2012, 12:49 PM
So, while you can use the browser to your heartís content, it will not be the default handler for any URLs clicked. Thatís a huge hurdle to overcome.

Jailbreaking will fix that pretty quickly :)

TvdW
iOS Chrome requires iOS 4.3, while Android Chrome requires Android 4.0. Ironically that means that 99% of the iOS users can use Chrome, while only 10% of the Android users can.

Roessnakhan
This is great, I really wanted tab syncing, but didn't want to start using Safari once Mountain Lion rolls around.

jontech
Keep your Google off my Apple devices

I am not a product

bartszyszka
Jun 28, 2012, 12:50 PM
They could ask developers of popular apps to have an "Open in Chrome" option like they do for "Open in Safari" and use the same code any app loads to open another app (chrome:// URL?). I could see RSS and Twitter apps implement this since they often have options for loading a URL into other services.

Also Google could have an Instapaper-esque API that instead of saving something to a reading list lets people save to their list of open tabs.

ChazUK
Jun 28, 2012, 12:51 PM

I am not a product

Don't download it?
Not that hard is it?

evorc
Jailbreaking will fix that pretty quickly :)

Browserchanger ;)

Kurwenal
It does. It will sync bookmarks, passwords, and open tabs from all other chrome browsers you're logged into.

Source: I'm watching the live stream.

Thank you. Can't wait to switch now.....Ironically, among other features, Chrome handles displaying websites on high-resolution screens better than does Safari and I prefer one browser across all of my devices.

The default browser thing is annoying but I can deal with it.

slicecom
This is essentially gonna be safari with a chrome tab interface. The engine is pretty much identical to safari. Its not like the android version that blows the lid off in speed of every other mobile browser.

Doesn't the desktop version of chrome run on webkit anyways?

SandboxGeneral
Jun 28, 2012, 12:54 PM
Thank you. Can't wait to switch now.....Ironically, among other features, Chrome handles displaying websites on high-resolution screens better than does Safari and I prefer one browser across all of my devices.

This is precisely how I feel too. :)

Snypod
Hopefully now that we have Sparrow and Chrome in the App Store, enough people will complain to Apple and convince them to give users the ability to set default apps.

Mortalias
Definitely gonna use Chrome. And wait for the JB tweak to make it default. :cool:

KnightWRX
the browser will still use Apple's WebKit-based engine required by the App Store developer guidelines.

Just like the real Google Chrome browser does ? ;)

Too bad about the javascript engine though, V8 on the desktop really shines and on iOS, Nitro really is heads above the default engine the UIWebView utilizes.

teknikal90
why is this a big deal :confused:
What can chrome do that safari doesnt

adildacoolset

I think its customized. Anyways, the speed you'll get is mostly the speed of your internet. The rendering will be ok.

SandboxGeneral
Jun 28, 2012, 12:55 PM

Yep, sure does. ;)

aziatiklover
Jun 28, 2012, 12:56 PM
I hope it will play flash content without having flash install like on the osx chrome version! Amidaydreaming?

emwgradstudent
Jun 28, 2012, 12:56 PM

I agree, but you have a choice. There are a number of browsers in the App Store. Just like the Mac, just because iOS ships with Safari does not mean you have to use it.

SandboxGeneral
Jun 28, 2012, 12:57 PM
I agree, but you have a choice. There are a number of browsers in the App Store. Just like the Mac, just because iOS ships with Safari does not mean you have to use it.

What he is saying is that Apple should give us a choice of what our default browser can be. Currently the default is Safari and there is no way to change it. So when you click a link in, say, Twitter, it will open in Safari and not Chrome.

Apple Key
Jun 28, 2012, 12:57 PM
It was a big deal when Opera released their browser for iOS. I tried it out, and wasn't happy with it at all. I'm sure it'll be the same with Chrome. Safari just works perfectly for me, so why should I switch?

When Google stop doing things solely because they can, Google will be great once again.

Oletros
Jun 28, 2012, 12:58 PM

Slightly different webkit and totally different javascript engine

Highcroft
Jun 28, 2012, 12:58 PM

I believe he means that he wants Apple to give us the option to set those other browsers as default.

aristotle
Jun 28, 2012, 01:00 PM
Ok, while some people want more "choice", what does this really give us? Safari Mobile beats Android browsers in the Sunspider benchmarks even when pitted against quadcore Tegra 3 hardware versions an A5 iPad 2 or A5X iPad 3.

So even if Apple allowed a non-Safari webkit engine based browser on iOS, it would be slower anyway than just having a skin on the standard webkit control.

ADMProducer
Jun 28, 2012, 01:00 PM
Can't wait for Drive, and especially for Chrome!

Have used Chrome on my Mac for years and I almost thought that when Mountain Lion comes along next month, I'd have to switch to Safari to take advantage of tab syncing etc. Now with Chrome on iOS, all is well and I can continue using my favourite browser.

Richdmoore
Jun 28, 2012, 01:01 PM
Might be worth a download if I can use it to print to my home printer when I am away from my wifi network. I doubt I will use it instead of safari for most browsing however.

KnightWRX

Well, incognito mode, syncing your tabs (a feature coming "soon" to Safari), you know, the stuff listed in the first post ? ;)

Oletros

No, you don't have a choice, you have to use the same UIWebkit for all the browsers and the same rendering and js engines

SandboxGeneral
Ok, while some people want more "choice", what does this really give us? Safari Mobile beats Android browsers in the Sunspider benchmarks even when pitted against quadcore Tegra 3 hardware versions an A5 iPad 2 or A5X iPad 3.

Not everything is about speed. I want Chrome because I use it on OS X and Windows 7. Now that it will be on iOS, I can have synced tabs and bookmarks across everything I use.

MacBird
Jun 28, 2012, 01:02 PM
Will Chrome have ad-blocking as an option? This is the only thing I really miss in iOS Safari.

marcusj0015
Jun 28, 2012, 01:04 PM
Too bad they can't use V8, but Chrome's minimalist UI and Chrome Sync will deffo be great.

fishmoose
Jun 28, 2012, 01:05 PM
Wouldn't use this even if they paid me to use it. Trying to cut myself free from all Google products and services.

TsunamiTheClown
Jun 28, 2012, 01:05 PM

i like Safari too, but Chrome can run sandboxed C++ apps. This opens up a lot of options on browser based apps for business and gaming.

Don't know if the iOS version will be able to handle that tho since it is gonna be a "webkit based" engine.

As far as the default browser thing. I wonder if you can just disable safari if you wanted to in the restrictions and perhaps force the OS to fail to launch it.

Might be a pain tho.

SBlue1
Jun 28, 2012, 01:06 PM
well choice is good. lets see what this thing looks like.

blackhand1001
Jun 28, 2012, 01:07 PM

So even if Apple allowed a non-Safari webkit engine based browser on iOS, it would be slower anyway than just having a skin on the standard webkit control.

No it doesn't The stock ICS browser on my nexus blows away the ios browser in sunspider, even the ios 6 one, and chrome for android kills it even more.

I got about 1500 Ms on the stock ics browser. Chrome from my experience is about 1200. Lower is better.

JAT
Will it ever not say "Beta"?

KnightWRX
Wouldn't use this even if they paid me to use it. Trying to cut myself free from all Google products and services.

Yet you posted in this thread. Fascinating.

Lennholm
iOS Chrome requires iOS 4.3, while Android Chrome requires Android 4.0. Ironically that means that 99% of the iOS users can use Chrome, while only 10% of the Android users can.

About as ironic as the fact that iPhone 4(S) is supported on a 11 year old Windows OS but not on a 7 year old Mac OS.

samcraig
Jun 28, 2012, 01:08 PM

Yes. But in a year that won't matter at all because people update their phones every 1-2 years typically and if they're buying a new phone, it will have ICS o Jellybean.

Meanwhile, Android users will still "enjoy" a fuller-functioning version of Chrome vs Apple's version which will be restricted in several ways.

cgk.emu
Jun 28, 2012, 01:09 PM

Recall when Steve got up there and said "we believe in choice" in regard to browsers with the whole IE deal...now they lock us in with no way to switch default browsers? Hm.

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 01:11 PM
i like Safari too, but Chrome can run sandboxed C++ apps. This opens up a lot of options on browser based apps for business and gaming.

Don't know if the iOS version will be able to handle that tho since it is gonna be a "webkit based" engine.

Chrome on OS X/Linux/Windows also uses Webkit. What you're talking about is NaCL (http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/). It requires an outside plug-in, something you won't ever see on iOS unfortunately.

----------

No it doesn't The stock ICS browser on my nexus blows away the ios browser in sunspider, even the ios 6 one, and chrome for android kills it even more.

But Chrome for iOS won't beat Safari Mobile, because it won't be able to use Nitro.

----------

Recall when Steve got up there and said "we believe in choice" in regard to browsers with the whole IE deal...now they lock us in with no way to switch default browsers? Hm.

Steve believed in choices that lined Apple's pockets with money. He doesn't believe in choices that don't.

teknikal90
Jun 28, 2012, 01:11 PM
Well, incognito mode, syncing your tabs (a feature coming "soon" to Safari), you know, the stuff listed in the first post ? ;)

Yeah..but there's private browsing on mobile safari. and tabs will get the icloud treatment

rmwebs
Jun 28, 2012, 01:13 PM

Actually Apple forked webkit and did some big changes specific to mobile safari. You'll probably find Chrome (which always tends to run a much newer version of Webkit than Safari) will have a few differences.

Also dont forget that Chrome has tab sandboxing, safari does not. That in addition to a HUGE library of extensions.

This is good news. Chrome is the best browser on the desktop and will certainly add value to iOS.

At this point I really do have to question why Apple are still not allowing free choice. It'll come down to a lawsuit, forcing them to allow the user to choose their default mail client and browser.

cruisencode
Yeah..but there's private browsing on mobile safari. and tabs will get the icloud treatment

Exactly. So we're basically getting a slower version of Safari. :rolleyes:

KnightWRX

Except for people who don't have iCloud accounts and don't use Safari on OS X or Windows.

monkeylui
Jun 28, 2012, 01:14 PM

Same here. So excited.

mac.cali
google drive is now live in the app store.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-drive/id507874739?mt=8

JAT
Also dont forget that Chrome has tab sandboxing, safari does not. That in addition to a HUGE library of extensions.

For mobile?

blackhand1001
Jun 28, 2012, 01:15 PM
Actually Apple forked webkit and did some big changes specific to mobile safari. You'll probably find Chrome (which always tends to run a much newer version of Webkit than Safari) will have a few differences.

This is good news. Chrome is the best browser on the desktop and will certainly add value to iOS.

At this point I really do have to question why Apple are still not allowing free choice. It'll come down to a lawsuit, forcing them to allow the user to choose their default mail client and browser.
Yes I know chrome is different but apple isn't letting google use those changes.

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 01:16 PM
For mobile?

It does for Android :

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2440264&p=mktg_mobile_security

From the keynote going on, there's not much meat :

10:20 am: Here we go, news! Chrome is coming to the iPhone. Later today Chrome will roll out in the App Store. Rakowski demos features like closing tabs with a swipe and dragging tabs from side to side.

And Chrome is also coming out for the iPad, with tabs on top because there’s more space on the tablet.

He shows his credentials — in this case for the New York Times — are synced across devices, even though he’d never been to nytimes.com on that device before. Nice.

Also, Incognito works on iOS. Rakowski: “I hope you’ll find that using Incognito on a touch device is a great experience.” That gets a giggle.

rmwebs
Jun 28, 2012, 01:17 PM
Will Chrome have ad-blocking as an option? This is the only thing I really miss in iOS Safari.

Given the huge extension library, yes. Chrome extensions outnumber safari extensions dramatically, and they are designed to work on all platforms so I see no reason why they wont work on iOS.

This is where chrome has a HUGE advantage over Safari - the extensions library.

Yamcha
Jun 28, 2012, 01:17 PM
I'd love to see Chrome on iOS..

Kaibelf
Jun 28, 2012, 01:18 PM

Covertly report all your data back to Google, which they can later claim was a "mistake" the same way they did with the network-sniffing cars.

TsunamiTheClown
Jun 28, 2012, 01:19 PM
What you're talking about is NaCL (http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/). It requires an outside plug-in, something you won't ever see on iOS unfortunately.

Yep thats it. And i agree, it will probably not make it to iOS (read until iOS merges with OSX).

Netherscourge

Safari has Private Browsing mode already.

rmwebs
Yes I know chrome is different but apple isn't letting google use those changes.

Could you point to where this was said for chrome? As I recall, when the rules on browsers was relaxed, every new browser ran a standard UIWebKit instance just because it was easier. Nobody has yet tried using a non-UIWebKit based browser on iOS. I cant imagine Chrome would be released if it has to use such a limited instance of the framework.

nfl46
Jun 28, 2012, 01:20 PM
Yikes. Poor Apple.

Google is taking over.

rmwebs
Jun 28, 2012, 01:20 PM
For mobile?

No idea, we'll find out later today. Chrome is pretty consistant across all platforms - if it was significantly different it would be called something like 'Chrome Mobile' (a bit like Opera did) to differentiate the software.

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 01:21 PM
(read until iOS merges with OSX).

iOS and OS X never were split apart to being with.

rmwebs
Jun 28, 2012, 01:21 PM
Covertly report all your data back to Google, which they can later claim was a "mistake" the same way they did with the network-sniffing cars.

Take the tinfoil hat off. It does no such thing.

JohnDoe98
Jun 28, 2012, 01:22 PM
Except for people who don't have iCloud accounts and don't use Safari on OS X or Windows.

Aren't iCloud accounts free? Regarding your second point, the same problem happens if people don't use Chrome on their OS X or Windows, so really the only difference is the password syncing (hopefully Apple will add that soon) and the fact that there is no Safari/iCloud, so far as I know, for linux. +Extensions if those work.

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 01:23 PM
Could you point to where this was said for chrome? As I recall, when the rules on browsers was relaxed, every new browser ran a standard UIWebKit instance just because it was easier. Nobody has yet tried using a non-UIWebKit based browser on iOS. I cant imagine Chrome would be released if it has to use such a limited instance of the framework.

Nothing was said for Chrome. Look what I posted, that's all they said for now :

- Incognito mode
- synced credentials
- probably synced tabs
- available later today.

Natesac
Jun 28, 2012, 01:23 PM
No nitro speed, no default, no care......

I would like the option to set defaults (mail, browser, etc) and I wish apple would allow 3rd party browsers to make JavaScript speed improvements. Until then it's pointless for me to even download it.

piecloud
Jun 28, 2012, 01:24 PM
This is welcomed news! Too bad though on the Apple default browser requirement.

While it may not be a perfect solution, a bookmarklet to open in Chrome would be an acceptable work around. If you click a link from say Mail app, it would open in safari by default. A tap on the bookmarklet would open it in Chrome. It's extra tap, but not too bad in my opinion.

http://www.icab.de/blog/2009/09/07/calling-icab-mobile-from-within-safari-on-the-iphone/

rmwebs

^ This. The only difference is that iOS has a different "frontend gui". The core OS is in fact just a fork of OS X. You'll probably find it was slimmed out a bit to lower the resource usage (e.g stripping out driver support and such) but its still the same OS and Kernel under the hood.

KnightWRX
Aren't iCloud accounts free?

Sure, but I still don't have one and have no reason to register for it.

Regarding your second point, the same problem happens if people don't use Chrome on their OS X or Windows, so really the only difference is the password syncing (hopefully Apple will add that soon) and the fact that there is no Safari/iCloud, so far as I know, for linux.

True, but us Chrome users welcome the chance to sync our stuff between out devices now. ;)

samcraig
Jun 28, 2012, 01:25 PM
Aren't iCloud accounts free? Regarding your second point, the same problem happens if people don't use Chrome on their OS X or Windows, so really the only difference is the password syncing (hopefully Apple will add that soon) and the fact that there is no Safari/iCloud, so far as I know, for linux.

Just because something is free doesn't mean people are using it. There are several major free online email services - but that doesn't mean people have accounts on all of them. There a few free cloud services and people don't have accounts on all of them.

imgonephishin
Does anyone know if this (or any other decent iOS browser, for that matter) will eventually support plugins?

rmwebs
While it may not be a perfect solution, a bookmarklet to open in Chrome would be an acceptable work around. If you click a link from say Mail app, it would open in safari by default. A tap on the bookmarklet would open it in Chrome. It's extra tap, but not too bad in my opinion.

http://www.icab.de/blog/2009/09/07/calling-icab-mobile-from-within-safari-on-the-iphone/

Thinking about it, it may actually be possible to nock up something to hook into Safari to automatically close it and re-open chrome with the link. I'm sure we'll see a few attempts at it appear on Cydia.

(Sidenote: See, this is why Jail breaking your device is awesome! :p )

KnightWRX
No nitro speed, no default, no care.....

Sure, Apple is really making sure that Mobile Safari remains the only true choice on iOS, but you know what ? I'll use Chrome as often as possible either way.

TsunamiTheClown
Jun 28, 2012, 01:26 PM

Not quite sure if your implying that they are not dissimilar enough to consider them different operating systems, or if you do not see them on a path toward eventual (albeit not total perhaps) union.

Either way. That discussion has deff seen play around here :D

rmwebs
Jun 28, 2012, 01:26 PM
Does anyone know if this (or any other decent iOS browser, for that matter) will eventually support plugins?

It *may* support chrome extensions out of the box, we wont know till its released (Extensions are here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions). I hope it does - it'll be the best mobile browser around if it does!

JohnDoe98
Jun 28, 2012, 01:27 PM
Just because something is free doesn't mean people are using it. There are several major free online email services - but that doesn't mean people have accounts on all of them. There a few free cloud services and people don't have accounts on all of them.

That's besides the point. The point is you can do almost everything Chrome does with Apple's Safari if you really wanted to. Chrome has passwords + extensions, Safari has the Nitro javascript engine. Them be the differences.

ugahairydawgs
Jun 28, 2012, 01:27 PM
Take the tinfoil hat off. It does no such thing.

You're right. No need to do it in Chrome. Google can just backdoor this stuff through Safari.

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 01:28 PM
Not quite sure if your implying that they are not dissimilar enough to consider them different operating systems, or if you do not see them on a path toward eventual (albeit not total perhaps) union.

I'm saying they never were split, they are not dissimilar enough to consider them different and I don't see them converging more. Superficial features like launchpad looking like Springboard is not what I call merging.

rmwebs
Jun 28, 2012, 01:28 PM
You're right. No need to do it in Chrome. Google can just backdoor this stuff through Safari.

Oh grow up. If you dont like Google, dont post in the Google threads...hardly rocket science. :rolleyes:

Besides, that wouldn't have happened if Apple patched the bug they knew about long ago ;)

TsunamiTheClown
Jun 28, 2012, 01:29 PM
google drive is now live in the app store.

I saw a demo of drive this past week at a Googlefest near where i live. I must saw i was pretty impressed.

JohnDoe98
Jun 28, 2012, 01:30 PM
True, but us Chrome users welcome the chance to sync our stuff between out devices now. ;)

Yeah this is a huge bonus, glad Apple approved it. If extensions work, though I was never particularly impressed with Chrome, I might convert. One of my main, perhaps my only, reason for jail-breaking is to install Ad Block. I can't stand ads and wish Apple would just allow mobile Safari-extensions already. Sometimes I can't understand what Apple's hangup is with adding obvious features.

KnightWRX
That's besides the point. The point is you can do almost everything Chrome does with Apple's Safari if you really wanted to.

Sure, but I don't want to use Safari on my Mac. I don't like it as a browser.

JAT
It does for Android :

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2440264&p=mktg_mobile_security

From the keynote going on, there's not much meat :
Thanks, kinda figured that.

But I really meant extensions, should have been more clear. I don't recall discussion of that. Here:

Google FAQ (https://developers.google.com/chrome/mobile/docs/faq)

Does Chrome for Android support apps and extensions?
Chrome apps and extensions are currently not supported on Chrome for Android. We have no plans to announce at this time.

hobo.hopkins
Should be interesting to try out, although the restriction on the default browser will likely keep this from becoming all too popular.

samcraig
Jun 28, 2012, 01:32 PM
Thinking about it, it may actually be possible to nock up something to hook into Safari to automatically close it and re-open chrome with the link. I'm sure we'll see a few attempts at it appear on Cydia.

Jailbreaking is awesome. So is having an Android phone in situations like this.

(disclosure: I have both an iPhone 4 and a Samsung Skyrocket). I'm looking forward to using Chrome on the Android when updated to ICS. Not that I have any real issues with the stock browser or the Dolphin browser which is pretty great.)

KnightWRX
If extensions work, though I was never particularly impressed with Chrome, I might convert.

I doubt we'll see extension support, the Android version doesn't seem to support them. Though I don't have an Android device, so I don't really know for sure, I can only go from what is posted on their site :

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/mobile/android.html

We'll know later today I guess.

Menneisyys2

1. They (Apple) never will.

2. Google should release the REAL thing for jailbroken devices.

gorskiegangsta
Jun 28, 2012, 01:34 PM
So excited for this.

JohnDoe98
Jun 28, 2012, 01:35 PM
Sure, but I don't want to use Safari on my Mac. I don't like it as a browser.

Point taken. Incidentally, since you always have well reasoned positions, would you be up for sharing what you dislike about Safari? I've never understood the appeal to use another browser, but perhaps my needs are too plebeian.

TsunamiTheClown
I'm saying they never were split, they are not dissimilar enough to consider them different and I don't see them converging more. Superficial features like launchpad looking like Springboard is not what I call merging.

i think i see your point. And i agree about the superficial elements not really lending the substance of a merge. However I am not sure that I would not still make a distinction between the two (iOS and OSX) as being separate operating systems. They have two different SDKs and all...i feel you tho.

chompop
Will we be able to zoom in and double tap to make text fit the screen like browser on android?

I hate to swipe horizontally to read the web.

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 01:36 PM
Point taken. Incidentally, since you always have well reasoned positions, would you be up for sharing what you dislike about Safari? I've never understood the appeal to use another browser, but perhaps my needs are too plebeian.

Purely subjective aesthetics. I don't like how the UI looks. Nothing fancier than that.

super tomtendo
Jun 28, 2012, 01:37 PM
I can't edit my google docs... whats the point of this app? Just to view a document? Why can't anyone correctly create an app with actual good editing?

JAT
2. Google should release the REAL thing for jailbroken devices.
What differences are you seeing?

mjillard
About as ironic as the fact that iPhone 4(S) is supported on a 11 year old Windows OS but not on a 7 year old Mac OS.

Well if u have an iPhone 4S you don't need to hook it up to a computer anyway!

samcraig

Purely subjective aesthetics. I don't like how the UI looks. Nothing fancier than that.

For me - Safari hangs and crashes far more than either Chrome and/or Firefox. I don't mine the Safari UI or functionality. But I was tired of the spinning beach ball/crashes

Menneisyys2
Jun 28, 2012, 01:39 PM

While I'm not the OP, let me answer:

- no download manager
- no page saving
- no full screen mode
- no User-Agent faking
- no ad blocking
- no picture-less mode
- no upload support at all
etc.

Fortunately, all of the above shortcomings have been fixed by either JB tweaks or third-party AppStore apps. Too bad the latter aren't allowed to make full use of the WebKit engine (see: JS engine and choppy scrolling).

piecloud
Jun 28, 2012, 01:40 PM

The bookmarklet solution will work without jb. If you are jailbreaking it, Cydia already has options to change the default browser.

Menneisyys2
What differences are you seeing?

I'm speaking of the engine itself, not just another thin layer (just like all the other AppStore browsers, except for Opera Mini) over UIWebView.

super tomtendo
While I'm not the OP, let me answer:

- no download manager
- no page saving
- no full screen mode
- no User-Agent faking
- no ad blocking
- no picture-less mode
- no upload support at all
etc.

Fortunately, all of the above shortcomings have been fixed by either JB tweaks or third-party AppStore apps. Too bad the latter aren't allowed to make full use of the WebKit engine (see: JS engine and choppy scrolling).

I have ad blocking... AdBlock...

Menneisyys2
The bookmarklet solution will work without jb. If you are jailbreaking it, Cydia already has options to change the default browser.

Yup, Browser Changer, works just great under 5.1.1. (See my above post.)

KnightWRX
Jun 28, 2012, 01:41 PM
i think i see your point. And i agree about the superficial elements not really lending the substance of a merge. However I am not sure that I would not still make a distinction between the two (iOS and OSX) as being separate operating systems. They have two different SDKs and all...i feel you tho.

Actually, iOS and OS X don't really have different SDKs. Both support the foundation framework and CoreGraphics/Data/Audio, etc.. etc.. Only UIKit/AppKit diverge (things like UIButton vs NSButton, etc...).

So much so, that iOS apps running on the Simulator in Xcode are actually linked to the OS X version of frameworks and compiled for x86. And it just works well enough for testing.

That should tell you how much both OSes are just that merged already.

hot spare
Jun 28, 2012, 01:42 PM

If you are talking about SunSpider, Google is already saying that it's outdated. You can read more about that here:

http://blog.chromium.org/2011/05/updating-javascript-benchmarks-for.html

But anyways, here are some numbers for SunSpider and BrowserMark. How does iPhone/iPad numbers look compared to SGS3?

http://i49.tinypic.com/5mi9ac.png

http://i46.tinypic.com/drf8gm.png

Menneisyys2
Jun 28, 2012, 01:43 PM
I have ad blocking... AdBlock...

You mean the third-party AppStore app(s)? They're just a thin layer over UiWebView, with all the involved problems because of Apple's restrictions (choppy scrolling, no access to the latest JS engine etc.)

polaris20
Jun 28, 2012, 01:44 PM
Chrome is cool, but I'm more excited about Google Drive app. So much more versatile than Dropbox, and their pricing is fantastic.

Menneisyys2
Jun 28, 2012, 01:45 PM
Will we be able to zoom in and double tap to make text fit the screen like browser on android?

I hate to swipe horizontally to read the web.

Why don't you use text size increaser scriptlets? They're the way to go - even in Safari itself, and even w/o jailbreaking - if you want much larger characters WITHOUT horizontal scrolling.

super tomtendo
Jun 28, 2012, 01:45 PM
You mean the third-party AppStore app(s)? They're just a thin layer over UiWebView, with all the involved problems because of Apple's restrictions (choppy scrolling, no access to the latest JS engine etc.)

I didn't get it thru the app store... It's on the Safari Extension page. Works perfect. Same as FireFox... no scroll lag

Yvan256
Jun 28, 2012, 01:46 PM

Where did you get that 99% figure, because those of us with a first-generation iPhone or iPod touch can't upgrade beyond iOS 3.1.3.

ViperDesign
Jun 28, 2012, 01:46 PM
I see google drive is available, but when will chrome be available?

JarScott
Jun 28, 2012, 01:48 PM
Apple should reject Google Drive out of respect for Dropbox. As Drive is another stolen product by Google. Also the fact that Google clearly states they own anything you put in it.

super tomtendo
Jun 28, 2012, 01:48 PM
How do you edit documents? I can only view my google doc that I have up right now...

"The Google Drive app gives you access to your files stored in your Google Drive folder and all of your documents stored in Google Docs. You can pull up PDF documents on your iPad, edit documents, view images in full-screen, and more. Best of all, if you're working on a document offline, you can continue working in your document and your changes are cached locally and are synchronized as soon as you come back online. Offline editing for Google Docs is available right now."

Highcroft
Jun 28, 2012, 01:49 PM
I've felt absolutely no need to jailbreak but the idea of having Chrome default might actually be my tipping point.

blackcrayon
Jun 28, 2012, 01:50 PM
If you are talking about SunSpider, Google is already saying that it's outdated. You can read more about that here:

http://blog.chromium.org/2011/05/updating-javascript-benchmarks-for.html

But anyways, here are some numbers for SunSpider and BrowserMark. How does iPhone/iPad numbers look compared to SGS3?

Image (http://i49.tinypic.com/5mi9ac.png)

Image (http://i46.tinypic.com/drf8gm.png)

Looks like Android is inefficient in that a quad core higher clocked A9 barely beats a 1ghz dual A9 ;) (Well, i don't know that Sunspider scales linearly with cores... :)

JarScott
Jun 28, 2012, 01:51 PM
Google just seem to be throwing out product after product after product in a hope one of them will become profitable. They don't have the ideas or skills that Apple had to become as big as it is. They're just stealing everything they've seen other people do well, sell it cheap as chips and sell it to morons.

super tomtendo
Jun 28, 2012, 01:52 PM
Google just seem to be throwing out product after product after product in a hope one of them will become profitable. They don't have the ideas or skills that Apple had to become as big as it is. They're just stealing everything they've seen other people do well, sell it cheap as chips and sell it to morons.

+100 billion

Westside guy
Jun 28, 2012, 01:53 PM
Have they solved bookmark syncing yet?

When I was an Android user, one of the biggest frustrations I had was there's no apparent way to sync your desktop bookmarks with the Android browser's bookmarks. You could grab a separate app that would grab your Google bookmarks and launch them in the browser, but - that's just klunky as all get out, switching apps just to get to your bookmarks!

It just seemed like such a bizarre thing to not support. Every other browser on every other mobile platform does it...

samcraig
Jun 28, 2012, 01:53 PM

So you're saying Apple no longer has ideas or skills? Afterall - you used the past tense. :)

Oletros
Jun 28, 2012, 01:57 PM

You have to try harder, this parody of a fanboy is still a little dull. Perhaps readin gon other forums like the insiders you will get it

ugahairydawgs
Jun 28, 2012, 02:03 PM
Oh grow up. If you dont like Google, dont post in the Google threads...hardly rocket science. :rolleyes:

Besides, that wouldn't have happened if Apple patched the bug they knew about long ago ;)

Lighten up, Francis. It's a joke. No need to get so worked up about a web browser.

And....well, yeah.

alent1234
Jun 28, 2012, 02:03 PM
Apple should reject Google Drive out of respect for Dropbox. As Drive is another stolen product by Google. Also the fact that Google clearly states they own anything you put in it.

so is dropbox

MS had a dropbox like product in alpha testing in 2008. it became skydrive. i think the dropbox founder even came from MS. at the very least a lot of people knew about it since it was easy to get in on the alpha

Oletros
Jun 28, 2012, 02:07 PM
Also the fact that Google clearly states they own anything you put in it.

Any thing to back this or it is more crap from you?

kemo
Jun 28, 2012, 02:07 PM
Until Google Drive let's me to directly edit Google Docs I'll pass, but thanks Google :)

On the other way Ill hope Chrome will be synced with desktop version - then I'll switch to Chrome since it would be a pleasure to use same bookmarks/history items as on the desktop (laptops) and it could be even better - if Apple give us an option in iOS 6 to select custom default browser...which is not likely to happen...

boomboom2
Jun 28, 2012, 02:10 PM
Remember Microsoft getting in trouble for Internet Explorer? How long until Apple is forced to let us choose our own default browser! I want this to be the default browser on my iPad so bad.

unlinked
Jun 28, 2012, 02:11 PM
Have they solved bookmark syncing yet?

When I was an Android user, one of the biggest frustrations I had was there's no apparent way to sync your desktop bookmarks with the Android browser's bookmarks. You could grab a separate app that would grab your Google bookmarks and launch them in the browser, but - that's just klunky as all get out, switching apps just to get to your bookmarks!

It just seemed like such a bizarre thing to not support. Every other browser on every other mobile platform does it...

Bookmark sync was added in Android 3.1.

geniusj
Jun 28, 2012, 02:13 PM

Google has self-driving cars working on public roads. I think that's all that needs to be said about that.

jroadley
Jun 28, 2012, 02:13 PM
Welcome Google Drive - just can't see me making the move when Dropbox provides the perfect workflow between all my Apple/Microsoft/Mobile devices.

But bring on Chrome - want that as default brower in iOS

unlinked
Jun 28, 2012, 02:14 PM
so is dropbox

MS had a dropbox like product in alpha testing in 2008. it became skydrive. i think the dropbox founder even came from MS. at the very least a lot of people knew about it since it was easy to get in on the alpha

And AOL had XDrive in 2005.
I imagine people have been syncing files over the internet since they invented the internet.

Dogface
Jun 28, 2012, 02:14 PM
Be nice if you can retain your custom background.

gmanist1000
Jun 28, 2012, 02:16 PM
It's live in the international store. Just waiting for the US store now....

Mazda 3s
Jun 28, 2012, 02:16 PM
That's besides the point. The point is you can do almost everything Chrome does with Apple's Safari if you really wanted to. Chrome has passwords + extensions, Safari has the Nitro javascript engine. Them be the differences.

But I don't use Safari on my MBA -- I use Chrome. So syncing with my MBA to my iPad and iPhone is useless.

With Chrome for iOS, all of my devices will be in sync.

Chrisg2014
Jun 28, 2012, 02:20 PM
built in flash? is that even possible?

Dogface
Jun 28, 2012, 02:22 PM
When is Chrome out in UK?

baller1308
Jun 28, 2012, 02:23 PM
I'll probably try it out but I don't think it will be as fast as Safari. Safari works well for me. The only thing I wish they would bring is the unified adress bar.

dthmtlgod
Jun 28, 2012, 02:26 PM
I'll probably try it out but I don't think it will be as fast as Safari. Safari works well for me. The only thing I wish they would bring is the unified adress bar.

Chrome is the fastest browser on my iMac and Macbook, nothing is even close.
I hope the same holds true for iOS.

super tomtendo
Jun 28, 2012, 02:27 PM
Why don't these companies allow us to edit our documents within the app? IT BOGGLES MY MIND!

This is the #1 feature want. Instead, we still can't edit it. Google Drive, DropBox... I want the same editing capability as the web browser or inside Office or iWork.

PLEASE!

shyam09
Jun 28, 2012, 02:29 PM

lol what's apple doing... They tweak the designs (for the better) of already existing products and sell it super high to morons (like us who can't stop craving apple products ;) )

Apple is big because they sell stuff super expensive and people actually buy it. Essentially we are paying $1000 bucks for an operating system, and the design is a bonus, but that's about it...

Now I know people are going to raging on me, so just to be clear: It's my two cents :D

starbird
Jun 28, 2012, 02:34 PM
Yikes. Poor Apple.

Google is taking over.

Yeah. Yet, ironically, all the others (amazon, google, Microsoft) release their services for iOS, where the others may have some of the completion, none of them have iBooks, iTunes, etc.

As far as where you purchase your consumable content? Apple is the most flexible and, open.

rezzo
Jun 28, 2012, 02:37 PM

Sadly I don't think so. Chrome will still use Apple's WebKit-based engine required by the App Store developer guidelines.

gmanist1000
Jun 28, 2012, 02:38 PM
It's Live in the US

http://itunes.apple.com/app/chrome/id535886823?mt=8

KaPOWitsCHRIS
Jun 28, 2012, 02:38 PM
Available now, but not in the UK store :(

Getting this >.<

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4606/screenshot20120628at203.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/99/screenshot20120628at203.png/)

bushido
Jun 28, 2012, 02:43 PM
a samsung and an apple in one ad, who would have ever thought this day would come :D

Oletros
Yeah. Yet, ironically, all the others (amazon, google, Microsoft) release their services for iOS, where the others may have some of the completion, none of them have iBooks, iTunes, etc. flexible and, open.

Doesn't work iTunes on OS X and Windows?

iBooks? What's that?

super tomtendo
lol what's apple doing... They tweak the designs (for the better) of already existing products and sell it super high to morons (like us who can't stop craving apple products ;) )

Apple is big because they sell stuff super expensive and people actually buy it. Essentially we are paying $1000 bucks for an operating system, and the design is a bonus, but that's about it...

Now I know people are going to raging on me, so just to be clear: It's my two cents :D

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Where are you getting the $1000 for an OS? I paid $29.99 for Lion... Since when is the hardware free?

A friend of mine put it perfectly a few years ago.
If you were shopping for a refrigerator and their were two to chose from;

#1, cheaper, but were told you had to spend X amount of money a year to maintain it and will most likely be out dated within the month(PC).

or

#2, pay more, built with quality and last longer - owes you no money when you upgrade next(Mac)

Which would you buy? You would buy #2. Apple builds high quality computers and products. I am more than happy to pay a 'premium' for a Mercedes-like computer over a cheap Toyota. Either buy a Mac or buy a PC. Up to you. But IMO, I'll pay the extra for something I can rely on.

mac.cali
Available now, but not in the UK store :(

Getting this >.<

Image (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/99/screenshot20120628at203.png/)

Worked for me on my iPhone. :)

Menneisyys2
Jun 28, 2012, 02:44 PM

It won't be as

1, it's based on WebKit

2, AppStore apps, "thanks" to Apple, are not allowed to use private API's to provide as stuttering-less scrolling and as good JavaScript as Safari.

All in all, it'll be slower than Safari for both scrolling and JavaScript.

Over The Hill
Jun 28, 2012, 02:45 PM
Only when iím dead and thatís till a big if.

samcraig
Jun 28, 2012, 02:46 PM
As far as where you purchase your consumable content? Apple is the most flexible and, open.

What the what?

Maybe I am misinterpreting - but one can't read an iBook on anything other than an iOS enabled device. If one rents a movie on iTunes - they can't watch it on their kindle fire. And so on.

If by flexible and open you mean that they are fortunate to have other companies develop apps to allow their content on Apple's devices... then sure..

SandboxGeneral
Jun 28, 2012, 02:46 PM
Sweet. Downloading now to iPad, then iPhone...

WeegieMac
Jun 28, 2012, 02:47 PM
Just tried to download it here in UK and it started then said "the item you tried to download is no longer available".

WTF?!

klamse25
Jun 28, 2012, 02:48 PM

Do you not use Google web search then?

tech4all
Jun 28, 2012, 02:49 PM

I am not a product

I was wondering how far I was going to have to read before I ran into a Google-hating Apple fanboy. Post #17, not bad compared to yesterday.

Then don't use it, nobody really cares. ;)

adztaylor
Just tried to download it here in UK and it started then said "the item you tried to download is no longer available".

WTF?!

Getting the same message.

Dogface
It's been pulled as there was the bad aids hidden in the code

JohnDoe98
Jun 28, 2012, 02:50 PM
What the what?

Maybe I am misinterpreting - but one can't read an iBook on anything other than an iOS enabled device. If one rents a movie on iTunes - they can't watch it on their kindle fire. And so on.

If by flexible and open you mean that they are fortunate to have other companies develop apps to allow their content on Apple's devices... then sure..

Not entirely true. Thereis an app that lets you read your books outside of ibooks. Also there is an app that will let you watch itunes movies outside of itunes/quicktime. Obviously this won't work for rentals though. It is called reqiuem. And yes, it is legal if used properly.

Ubuntu
Jun 28, 2012, 02:50 PM
The biggest hurdle that Chrome features, of course, is that it cannot be set to be the default browser on iOS devices, a capability that Apple also reserves for Safari. So, while you can use the browser to your heart's content, it will not be the default handler for any URLs clicked. That's a huge hurdle to overcome.

Hurdle? How about brick wall? I can't think of a way Google can overcome that.

WeegieMac
Jun 28, 2012, 02:51 PM
Getting the same message.

See if this is another iMame and has snuck through only to be pulled, I'll be pissed.

nick_elt
Jun 28, 2012, 02:51 PM
Don't download it?
Not that hard is it?

Exactly! What a tool!

ViperDesign
Jun 28, 2012, 02:52 PM
just downloaded the browser, it is very nice! Nice to be able to select my other browser tabs and the ui is solid to me.

SandboxGeneral
Jun 28, 2012, 02:52 PM
Ahhhh.... (breathes a sigh of relief and excitement) this post brought to you via Google Chrome for iOS on iPad.

NewAnger
Jun 28, 2012, 02:54 PM
Works pretty good so far. Love the tabbed browsing instead of selecting open pages like in Safari.

adztaylor
Jun 28, 2012, 02:54 PM
See if this is another iMame and has snuck through only to be pulled, I'll be pissed.

Hope not. It just probably hasn't reached the UK store yet.

starbird
Jun 28, 2012, 02:55 PM
What the what?

Yes, that is what I mean. Granted, it is Apple not allowing others to have it's video and book drm capability, but as far as a 'from the consumer' POV, I can truly shop for the best price.

Azzin
Looks like its vanished as fast as it appeared from the UK App Store... :(

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/n1zz3r/th_4c50d04d.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/n1zz3r/?action=view&current=4c50d04d.jpg)

JohnDoe98
Smart guys/gals, downvote me for telling you how to strip DRM, lol. :eek:

SandboxGeneral
Jun 28, 2012, 02:56 PM
I've actually now done two things this week that I never did before. That is move the native Mail app and Safari off the Dock of iOS and replace them with Gmail and Chrome. Whoa! :eek:

NewAnger
Hope not. It just probably hasn't reached the UK store yet.

It's still available in the US, I downloaded it five minutes ago.

bushido
browser ui looks pretty awesome and clean on the iPad :) and i like the "voice" option

seems quiet fast on the iPad too. it first gets "stuck" for like a second and boom the whole page is suddenly loaded

Frankied22
I knew they would gimp the iOS apps. Googles iOS apps are always gimped compared to androids. You can't make chrome the default. It's running on a slower kit. You can't edit google docs.

And people are expecting a full blown Google Maps app for iOS? Keep dreaming.

NewAnger
Jun 28, 2012, 02:57 PM
I've actually now done two things this week that I never did before. That is move the native Mail app and Safari off the Dock of iOS and replace them with Gmail and Chrome. Whoa! :eek:

For me it's been to replace the mail app with Sparrow and now Safari with Chrome.

daneoni
Jun 28, 2012, 02:57 PM
Am I the only one getting app not available?

KaPOWitsCHRIS
Jun 28, 2012, 02:58 PM
Apparently it's been pulled

saxon48
Excited to check this out!

ristlin

Owned : O

applesith
iPhone showing "waiting..." then progress bar zooms complete, disappears, rinse repeat. whats up?

rezzo
Jun 28, 2012, 02:59 PM
For me it's been to replace the mail app with Sparrow and now Safari with Chrome.
Same here.
Mail.app << Sparrow
Safari <<< Chrome

nfl46
Jun 28, 2012, 03:00 PM
NICE! It works on iOS 6 Beta 2. I'm using it now on my phone.

FourCandles

WTF?!

Me too. I guess the links will go to the US store, but odd that the App Store even lets you get as far as clicking Install if it's the wrong country.

emwgradstudent
I like how tabs are handled and the fact we are not limited to 8 tabs like in Safari. I am up to 23 and it is still going!

obom
Jun 28, 2012, 03:04 PM
The app page is still in the app store but the app has been pulled I think as I keep getting the message "The item you tried to buy is no longer available"
Hope Apple didn't pull the app, if they did shame on you Apple!

MacBird
Jun 28, 2012, 03:05 PM
Chrome does not have Ad-blocking on iOS, either. It's quite fast though.

powaking
Jun 28, 2012, 03:05 PM
The Chrome to Mobile Beta extension works. Just pushed a web link to the phone, Chrome notification popped up with the url.

NewAnger
Jun 28, 2012, 03:07 PM
The app page is still in the app store but the app has been pulled I think as I keep getting the message "The item you tried to buy is no longer available"
Hope Apple didn't pull the app, if they did shame on you Apple!

Still available to download in the US:

starbird
Jun 28, 2012, 03:07 PM
I have a hard one believing they pulled it. Unless there is something wrong with it they didn't catch. But it's on my iPhone now. (using it to type this).

Checking to see if it downloaded to iTunes on the iMac at home automatically. If so, I'll sync to the iPad so it's there when I get home.

Edit: yup. Was in iTunes. Synced to iPad for when I get home.

bushido
Jun 28, 2012, 03:08 PM
ironically the chrome voice imput feature understands english words unlike siri (if its set to german)

Renzatic
Jun 28, 2012, 03:11 PM
The Chrome to Mobile Beta extension works. Just pushed a web link to the phone, Chrome notification popped up with the url.

You don't even need that. Right now, I have this site, my gmail, Ars Technica, and Rock Paper Shotgun open in Chrome on my desktop. When you create a new tab, go to the "other devices" menu at the bottom, and boom! There they are, all my desktop browser tabs, available to choose from in one spot.

It's not as immediate as pushing a link, but it still works great.

obom
Jun 28, 2012, 03:11 PM

I am in the UK, hopefully its coming across the pond soon
Its when I click on that button that I get the error message

NewAnger
Jun 28, 2012, 03:13 PM
You don't even need that. Right now, I have this site, my gmail, Ars Technica, and Rock Paper Shotgun open in Chrome on my desktop. When you create a new tab, go to the "other devices" menu at the bottom, and boom! There they are, all my desktop browser tabs, available to choose from in one spot.

Of course you have to login for that to work right? I really hate logging in to anything Google.

AlphaVictor87
Jun 28, 2012, 03:13 PM
App keeps telling me my password is incorrect and that my "account sign-in details are out of date."

not sure whats wrong. i know i'm typing in correctly, going as slow as possible.

anyone else having the problem?

utahman130
Jun 28, 2012, 03:15 PM
Pretty great! Only complaint I have is when on Forum Spy, when I click on a thread, it takes me to a new tab and the address bar says "about:blank". I have to hold down on the thread in Forum Spy and then choose "Open in new tab." Anyone else having this problem?

Renzatic
Jun 28, 2012, 03:15 PM
Of course you have to login for that to work right? I really hate logging in to anything Google.

Yeah, you do. If you don't want to log in, you'll have to use the extension.

Also, I just tried it out on my iPhone. It displays the open tabs on both the iPad and my computer, which is pretty damn neat.

Bezetos
Jun 28, 2012, 03:16 PM
Sorry pal but the stats are against you. Although probably before Chrome stops being in beta for android that might be true for a while.

WeegieMac
Jun 28, 2012, 03:16 PM
US account here I come!

andybrown44
Jun 28, 2012, 03:18 PM
I'm in UK and using it now. Downloaded about 45 minutes ago, 2 mins later it wouldn't work for my friend.

Very impressed so far!
Love swiping from the side to change tabs as well as showing tabs open on other devices.
I think Safari is getting replaced in my dock, at least until iOS 6.

SandboxGeneral
Jun 28, 2012, 03:19 PM

I made sure to download it quickly to my devices, just in case of the event that Apple decides to pull it for some odd reason. Ya never know....

obom
Jun 28, 2012, 03:20 PM
The two different error messages when downloading, kind of torture seing how everyone has chrome :(

http://oi45.tinypic.com/34y71n5.jpg

http://oi45.tinypic.com/2dl7y91.jpg

andybrown44
Sorry pal but the stats are against you. Although probably before Chrome stops being in beta for android that might be true for a while.
iOS chrome needs 4.3.3 or above, which almost all iOS users have.
Android Chrome needs 4.0 or higher which is much less widespread.

Frenchjay
No dice still here in the UK.

http://i.imgur.com/6pan5.jpg

lordllanover
Jun 28, 2012, 03:22 PM
The two different error messages when downloading, kind of torture seing how everyone has chrome :(

Image (http://oi45.tinypic.com/34y71n5.jpg)

Image (http://oi45.tinypic.com/2dl7y91.jpg)

I get both of these as well. I really want to try it to compare speeds and see if they've crippled chrome entirely for iOS

vtstarck
Jun 28, 2012, 03:23 PM

Are they?

99% of iOS users can use Chrome.
7.1% of Android users can use Chrome.

patrickowtf
Jun 28, 2012, 03:23 PM
i can't find it in the app store...

did apple pull it?

obom
Jun 28, 2012, 03:24 PM
Anyone from the UK had any luck creating and downloading from a US account?

starbird
Jun 28, 2012, 03:24 PM
I get both of these as well. I really want to try it to compare speeds and see if they've crippled chrome entirely for iOS

Speed isn't bad at all, at least for these forums. And I am on Verizon 3G.

bushido
Jun 28, 2012, 03:25 PM
funny enough ...

Voice Over on Chrome ...

http://i46.tinypic.com/j14sx2.png

Siri on Safari:
http://i46.tinypic.com/11lu684.png

SandboxGeneral

did apple pull it?

Direct link (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chrome/id535886823)

vtstarck
I was able to download the app but I can't log in.

Menneisyys2
I like how tabs are handled and the fact we are not limited to 8 tabs like in Safari. I am up to 23 and it is still going!

(BTW, if you JB, you can use the free Tab+ to remove that limitation from Safari...)

obom

did apple pull it?

Link here: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/chrome/id535886823?mt=8

It still there but if you will be able to download it its a different story

shyam09
Jun 28, 2012, 03:26 PM
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Where are you getting the $1000 for an OS? I paid $29.99 for Lion... Since when is the hardware free?

#1, cheaper, but were told you had to spend X amount of money a year to maintain it and will most likely be out dated within the month(PC).

or

#2, pay more, built with quality and last longer - owes you no money when you upgrade next(Mac)

Which would you buy? You would buy #2. Apple builds high quality computers and products. I am more than happy to pay a 'premium' for a Mercedes-like computer over a cheap Toyota. Either buy a Mac or buy a PC. Up to you. But IMO, I'll pay the extra for something I can rely on.

Apple controls their OS, unlike Microsoft which licenses their OS. You cannot get a true OS X experience unless it's on a product built by apple (hackintosh is possible, yes, but it's still a bit unstable). Yes Apple designs great products and I'm all for that (I have a MBP and an iPad, I'm a fan of Apple) but the specs aren't fancy. They are typical borderline specs (I'm not saying it's a low class computer, but it isn't exactly a high class one either... that's worth a thousand bucks)... Apple computer specs are just "enough" for the user. Yes hardware isn't free, but honestly, people are buying macs for the OS experience, not the specs...

meh, but maybe you do have a point :)

sau124
Managed to pull a copy on my devices in the US store... it is not as great as it sounded. Free to try so download and test it yourself...

coldmack

I am not a product

Says the guy who is running an Intel based Mac. Lol ironic, just as ironic Honeycomb and Android 2.3 doesn't support Chrome, but iOS now does.

sloan47
Jun 28, 2012, 03:28 PM
I just downloaded it and it's great. I love being able to easily sync my bookmarks between all my devices now. :)

bitfactory
Jun 28, 2012, 03:29 PM
The sync between my desktop browsers is AWESOME. Love to see what's open on my other systems and pop them open on my phone.

... would love to try as my default browser for a bit.

starbird
Jun 28, 2012, 03:29 PM
Is dictation 4S only? Did not sound it from the posts, but don't see option on my 4

phobic99
Jun 28, 2012, 03:30 PM
I just downloaded it and it's great. I love being able to easily sync my bookmarks between all my devices now. :)

Agreed. It seems pretty snappy as well but could be the "wow this is new!" effect.

I like it for the time being.

rhett7660
Jun 28, 2012, 03:31 PM
Here is the link for those who are having trouble finding it.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chrome/id535886823?mt=8

bushido
Jun 28, 2012, 03:33 PM
Is dictation 4S only? Did not sound it from the posts, but don't see option on my 4

works on my iPad 2 which does not have siri (theres a mic icon next to the search bar in chrome)

and it certainly works a LOT better than siri on my iPhone 4S

tigertazz
Jun 28, 2012, 03:34 PM
No dice still here in the UK.

http://i.imgur.com/6pan5.jpg

Still seeing this in uk :mad:

Lennholm

The OS standalone is cheap, but can't you see how the low price is subsidized by the high price you pay for the hardware?

or

PC's are out dated within a month, Macs are basically out dated at launch.
If Macs are so reliable and durable, why is there AppleCare?, it should be pointless.
The fact is, Apple by default wont even guarantee that your Mac will last more than one year, unlike other PC manufacturers like Asus that has a two year warranty. Not until you pay Apple an additional 2-3 hundred dollars will they give you the promise that the Mac will last at least three years.
My previous PC was a Windows PC, I had it for almost 4 years and didn't have to spend a cent "maintaining" it.

Schmitty11

It better. Period.

starbird
Jun 28, 2012, 03:35 PM
works on my iPad 2 which does not have siri (theres a mic icon next to the search bar in chrome)

and it certainly works a LOT better than siri on my iPhone 4S

Found it. Thought it was dictation. But it is just search.

chompop
Jun 28, 2012, 03:37 PM
Voice search accuracy is very impressive. Especially for a non native English speaker like me. :)

powaking
Jun 28, 2012, 03:37 PM

Thats true but if I just want to send a link to view later on it does work pretty well.

Frenchjay
Jun 28, 2012, 03:38 PM
Still seeing this in uk :mad:

:(

utahman130
Jun 28, 2012, 03:38 PM
Whenever I try to load a thread from Forum Spy, it says about:blank and never loads. Anyone else having the problem I'm having?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7107/7462781202_a33113a678.jpg

I noticed that Chrome on Mac does that, but loads it after a second

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8014/7462801120_87c936e9fe.jpg

Other than that problem, Chrome for iOS is great!

rhett7660
Jun 28, 2012, 03:40 PM
It hasn't been pulled from the US store, just downloaded it and installed.

turtlebud
was excited about google drive (been using documents to go with limited success) until I realized that it's read only. i hope they will add editing capabilities similar to that on the android app.

fabianjj
Love the tab switching, Apple needs to steal this ASAP!

andybrown44
Jun 28, 2012, 03:41 PM
Thats true but if I just want to send a link to view later on it does work pretty well.

You can also shut your PC down with the tab open and it will still show them on iOS

dendenvel
Jun 28, 2012, 03:42 PM
It' still not in the App Store.. :(

Limboistik
Not available in Canada yet.

uknowimright
awesome, safari has been crashing like crazy lately

WeegieMac
Jun 28, 2012, 03:43 PM
Got it from the US store, got a feeling this is being pulled and wasn't meant to make it through.

Edit:

Downvoted by either:

A) trained chimps who are in the UK and annoyed they don't have it yet.
B) trained chimps who are annoyed a UK person has dared to use a US account.

Idiots.

Daveoc64
This has replaced Safari on my dock.

They've implemented it so well considering the limitations of a 3.5" screen.

I hope that Apple can:

a) Put some sort of default system in iOS.
b) Sort out some of the limitations of the UIWebView API to enable more of the features that can't be done right now.

Note: I copied and pasted the App Store link into Safari on my iPhone (in the UK) to download it.

lyricthejoe
Not seeing Chrome in the App Store:(

andyplace
Jun 28, 2012, 03:48 PM
Sunspider Javascript performance test:

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1:

Chrome for iOS: 9038.7 ms
Mobile Safari: 2235.0 ms

Safari performs 4X faster.

SandboxGeneral
Jun 28, 2012, 03:49 PM
Not seeing Chrome in the App Store:(

Rmafive
Jun 28, 2012, 03:49 PM
Hmm... I still don't see it.

Roessnakhan
Jun 28, 2012, 03:50 PM
Sunspider Javascript performance test:

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1:

Chrome for iOS: 9038.7 ms
Mobile Safari: 2235.0 ms

Safari performs 4X faster.

Of course it does. Third party browsers don't have access to the same engines as Mobile Safari. But some things are more important (to me at least) like tab syncing across devices.

shady825
for everyone "not seeing it"...... how bout clicking the direct link on the story??
Worked for me... :rolleyes:

SandboxGeneral
Hmm... I still don't see it.

ADMProducer
Jun 28, 2012, 03:51 PM
Downloaded and using it on my iPhone 4 in the UK. Great browser. Unfortunately it won't be fast like the real Chrome but we're getting many great features.

Perhaps this might pull Apple's head out of its ass when it comes to making simple improvement to their stock apps. Safari needs big changes. Not just tab syncing and full screen in landscape (ONLY).