PDA

View Full Version : 2012 mba lg display and toshiba ssd

tim100
Jun 28, 2012, 01:02 PM
how many 2012 mba buyers with lg displays and ssd are returning them?

infectedfall
Jun 28, 2012, 01:05 PM

This is ridicules. Enough with these topics... After calibrating the LG screen the difference between the two screens is minor. Some have argued that the LG screen even looks better to them. If you want to return it, return it, there is not reason to make a thread about it!

Kaith
Jun 28, 2012, 01:07 PM
My mba has those, but I don't care :D

trashmouth12
Jun 28, 2012, 01:20 PM
I have an LG display. Taking it to the store tonight. I'm not dissatisfied with the LG display per say but there is clearly dark spots near the bottom of the screen from uneven backlighting. Not sure if I am being too nitpicky but I will see what they say.

calvol
Jun 28, 2012, 01:24 PM
I have a Toshiba SSD // Samsung Display in a 2010 13 UMBA. I wouldn't return it just to get a Samsung SSD, the Toshiba performs excellently. For the display, it's user preference, but I would try some the color profiles before returning. Also, in this discussion for the 2011 model, some have said the LG has better viewing angles.

trashmouth12
Jun 28, 2012, 01:28 PM
I have a Toshiba SSD // Samsung Display in a 2010 13 UMBA. I wouldn't return it just to get a Samsung SSD, the Toshiba performs excellently. For the display, it's user preference, but I would try some the color profiles before returning. Also, in this discussion for the 2011 model, some have said the LG has better viewing angles.

Would color profiles help the uneven lighting? My test was to basically full screen Firefox about:blank and I was able to see darker areas towards the bottom bezel.

PhazonUK
Jun 28, 2012, 01:54 PM
I don't even know what my MBA has...and I don't care. It works great.

jimboutilier
Jun 28, 2012, 02:10 PM
These posts come up every year. Its more a matter of individual likes and needs than one panel being "better" than another.

My 2010 MBA had an LG display. The colors seemed lighter but I could turn the brightness way down and still have a perfectly readable display which did great things for battery life. My 2012 has a Samsung panel with richer colors but I have to keep the brightness higher. I thought both displays were terrific and wouldn't return either one. But thats just me.

orangezorki
Jun 28, 2012, 02:17 PM
Ultimately you have to be happy with your purchase, but don't spend loads of time and stress on what may be a very minor issue. First, take your MBA with you to an Apple store or wherever you got the machine and compare with the display units. If yours has a worse screen, explain politely and assertively that you're not happy with it and I'd expect that you would get a refund, swap, or possibly in a reseller, a discount if you are happy to accept a minor flaw.

As for the SSD, are you really going to notice a very minor speed difference, when all are so fast? If there is a reliability difference (which I haven't heard of), I might consider sending it back, but others will know more about this.

David

mattopotamus
Jun 28, 2012, 02:38 PM
These posts come up every year. Its more a matter of individual likes and needs than one panel being "better" than another.

My 2010 MBA had an LG display. The colors seemed lighter but I could turn the brightness way down and still have a perfectly readable display which did great things for battery life. My 2012 has a Samsung panel with richer colors but I have to keep the brightness higher. I thought both displays were terrific and wouldn't return either one. But thats just me.

That is very true, with the LG you can have a really low brightness (to save battery)....with the samsung if you go below half it is too dark.

DVD9
Jun 28, 2012, 09:51 PM

What speed does the Toshiba drive provide when encrypted with Filevault2? The Toshiba drive has a Sandforce controller which is said to have problems with encryption that severely degrades performance.