PDA

View Full Version : Mac keeps changing its name

Pagemakers
Jun 28, 2012, 01:11 PM
My Mac keeps renaming itself by adding a (2) to the sharing name.

I have 3 Macs on on a network (no Windows) and this happens after the Macs wake from sleep.

Each Mac has a unique name and each time I take off the (2) or whatever number it has added to the name, it happens again randomly later.

I think part of the problem is each Mac connects to the network via Ethernet and wifi.

I need Ethernet for speed, but Apple's "Find my Mac" feature only works with wifi so I need that on too.

Any ideas if there is a workaround for this? I've trawled the forums for days and can't seem to find any answers.

Jun 28, 2012, 01:12 PM
Eh, I'm up to number 8 or 9. I don't worry too much about it.

I'll be watching this thread though to see if there's a quick and easy fix.

Intell
Jun 28, 2012, 01:14 PM
This happens because of Apple Wake On Lan setup. If you go into the Energy Saver pref pane and uncheck "Wake for network access" it should stop.

Pagemakers
Jun 28, 2012, 01:22 PM
NathanMuir: The number changes causes problem on the network, plus the fact that I have to cancel a popup window after wake.

Intell: Sometimes I need wake on wan if I have to connect back to my machine when I’m away from home. I have 2 different wifi networks in the house. Do you think if I connect to the other wifi network that is not part of the Ethernet network would fix the problem?

Intell
Jun 28, 2012, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure. You could make a script that runs every time the Mac is woken up or restarted that resets the hostname.

robgendreau
Jun 28, 2012, 03:15 PM
The order of the connections in the Network pref pane will determine what gets used to send stuff.

But why have wifi on? do you keep losing your macs within the office? put that MBA in a drawer and forget where :p

Pagemakers
Jun 28, 2012, 03:16 PM
robgendreau I only have wifi on for Apple’s “Find My Mac” feature to work. With wifi off, your Mac cannot be located.

robgendreau
Jun 28, 2012, 03:22 PM
robgendreau I only have wifi on for Apple’s “Find My Mac” feature to work. With wifi off, your Mac cannot be located.

That's what I'm asking; why do you need to locate it if you know it's at the end of an ethernet cable? If you're doing for theft protection, you don't need wifi on all the time. As soon as someone turns it on and enables wifi it will become visible to iCloud.

Pagemakers
Jun 28, 2012, 03:35 PM
Oh yea!! Never thought of that :)

I guess they could just turn find my mac off too - so thinking about it, it’s not much of an anti-theft device!

Pagemakers
Jun 28, 2012, 04:53 PM
Hmmmm

Turned wifi off. Put my machine to sleep and woke it up...

The name of your computer “‫Paul Mac Pro‎‬” is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to “‫Paul Mac Pro (2)‎‬”.

sk8r1230
Jun 28, 2012, 06:27 PM
this has been discussed before. its a bug within lion that apple doesn't realize or isn't concerned about

Pagemakers
Jun 28, 2012, 11:23 PM
I've had lion since day 1 and this has only started a few weeks ago

Big-TDI-Guy
Jun 28, 2012, 11:28 PM
Are you using a static IP on your LAN?

Pagemakers
Jun 28, 2012, 11:35 PM
Yes I am

phyrexia
Jun 29, 2012, 03:01 AM
Yes I am

is it hardcoded in your network settings or in the router?

sk8r1230
Jun 29, 2012, 10:42 AM
Yea and there have been many updates since day one that could introduce bugs...

Pagemakers
Jun 29, 2012, 03:05 PM
I have rebooted the router as well as doing all of your other suggestions and so far it’s behaving itself…

thanks guys.

Big-TDI-Guy
Jun 29, 2012, 03:07 PM
I'm wondering if you have a DHCP release / renew conflict, running both Cat5 AND 802.11 at the same time. Maybe one is beating the other to the punch for the DHCP renew - causing a "sorry, this spot's taken" reply from your router?

Are both the hardline and WIFI static IPs, or just one? I had a similar issue (though not with the same OS, mind you) and I got around it by decreasing the release / renew time from 24 hours, and by moving the static IPs higher up the chain. (from 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.150 - so other devices would not get near the fixed IPs)

What part of that actually resolved this - I'm not sure, but it did help. (in my case, I was running an open network for media server with no WAN access, then a secure one that did)

Pagemakers
Jun 29, 2012, 03:29 PM
I turned wifi off and only used Ethernet and rebooted the router.

Today, it’s been fine, but who knows if it’s really fixed.

Each machine has it own IP.

DHCP is set by my Virgin SuperHub and then routed to an APE. Release time was increased from an hour to a week.

Pagemakers
Jun 29, 2012, 06:26 PM
I'm wondering if you have a DHCP release / renew conflict, running both Cat5 AND 802.11 at the same time. Maybe one is beating the other to the punch for the DHCP renew - causing a "sorry, this spot's taken" reply from your router?

Are both the hardline and WIFI static IPs, or just one? I had a similar issue (though not with the same OS, mind you) and I got around it by decreasing the release / renew time from 24 hours, and by moving the static IPs higher up the chain. (from 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.150 - so other devices would not get near the fixed IPs)

What part of that actually resolved this - I'm not sure, but it did help. (in my case, I was running an open network for media server with no WAN access, then a secure one that did)

Oh you mean do I have the wifi and Ethernet on dedicated IPs on each machine. No I don't but that's a great idea that I'll try in the morning. Thanks.