PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's Xbox Music Service to Include Streaming, Downloads, and Cloud Storage?

MacRumors
Jun 28, 2012, 01:35 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/28/microsofts-xbox-music-service-to-include-streaming-downloads-and-cloud-storage/)

Earlier this month, we noted (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/04/microsoft-makes-xbox-centered-living-room-push-with-smartglass-wireless-streaming-and-more/) that Microsoft was making a major push into the living room, seeking to use its Xbox hardware as the hub for new streaming video content and a "SmartGlass" app for various platforms that will allow two-way Airplay-like wireless streaming between devices and an Xbox connected to a television.

Bloomberg now reports (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-28/microsoft-said-to-plan-xbox-music-rivaling-apple-spotify.html) that Microsoft is also making a substantial push on the music side, talking to labels about launching a hybrid music service that would offer both iTunes-like downloads and Spotify-like streaming content.The Redmond, Washington-based software maker is in talks with major record companies for the needed rights, and plans to begin service later this year, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the discussions aren't complete.

By combining the best features of competing services, Microsoft seeks to build a digital product that lets customers consume music any way they like. The maker of the Xbox console is building the new music business after its unsuccessful effort with the Zune service, which will close and move customers to Xbox Music, the company said on its website.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/xbox_music_banner.jpg

Microsoft's music service will reportedly also include a digital locker similar in some respects to iTunes Match, allowing users to host their entire music collections in the cloud for access from multiple devices. Talks with labels are still underway, and Microsoft may yet find itself unable to obtain all of the rights it is seeking, but it is clear that the company is once again working hard to compete with Apple in the digital media arena.

Article Link: Microsoft's Xbox Music Service to Include Streaming, Downloads, and Cloud Storage? (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/28/microsofts-xbox-music-service-to-include-streaming-downloads-and-cloud-storage/)

Small White Car
Jun 28, 2012, 01:38 PM
Is it time to switch over to only reporting things that don't have cloud storage? It may be easier.

macnisse
Jun 28, 2012, 01:39 PM
good, more to choose from, lets see how it turns out :D

Leonard1818
Jun 28, 2012, 01:39 PM
Welcome to the party Msft.

LaWally
Jun 28, 2012, 01:44 PM
Late to the game, but it will be interesting to see what they are ultimately able to offer.

kurosov
Jun 28, 2012, 01:45 PM
I'll stick with match as i don't own anything microsoft.

Would be nice to actually have information about it other than they plan to release something.

Kaibelf
Jun 28, 2012, 01:48 PM
This will work out wonderfully for all 100 people who own an Xbox AND MS Surface AND Windows 8 phones AND wants to jump to a new ecosystem within the next 7-8 months.

Dionte
Jun 28, 2012, 01:52 PM
I will search all the major music stores before I buy a song, whoever has it for 99 cents is the winner.

iMikeT
Jun 28, 2012, 01:54 PM
Will this have a longer shelf life than Zune?

GenesisST
Jun 28, 2012, 01:57 PM
Will this have a longer shelf life than Zune?

Likely. If Microsoft supports the iOS as a controller, and I don't see why not, it would be a nice feature for people who only have an iPhone as an Apple thingy.

whooleytoo
Jun 28, 2012, 01:57 PM
I will search all the major music stores before I buy a song, whoever has it for 99 cents is the winner.

Is eMusic.com available in the US? While they lack a lot of big-name artists, they're a lot cheaper than that. I'm paying 36c per track.

(That said, you can't just buy just 1 song from them. You have to to buy a monthly package and if you don't use the downloads, you lose them. Still, you can cancel after you've downloaded your month's worth).

inhalexhale1
Jun 28, 2012, 02:04 PM
Likely. If Microsoft supports the iOS as a controller, and I don't see why not, it would be a nice feature for people who only have an iPhone as an Apple thingy.

That would be great if they brought a Zune Pass type service to iOS. I ditched my Zune because 2 devices became annoying quickly, but their interface and price plan was excellent. 10 downloads (to keep) and unlimited streaming for $10 (I think it was $10, may have been $15) was a great deal. I'm happy with Rhapsody at the moment, but I'd definitely give MS's app/service a try if it comes to iOS.

Amazing Iceman
Jun 28, 2012, 02:09 PM
So many Clouds out there are darkening my day.

I can't see the Sun anymore... :D

doctorossi
Jun 28, 2012, 02:11 PM
PlaysForSure!*

*until it's abandoned and no longer plays at all

Navdakilla
Jun 28, 2012, 02:13 PM
So is it fair to say we are looking at:

1. Apple Ecosystem
2. Google Ecosystem
3. Microsoft Ecosystem?

Lindenhurst
Jun 28, 2012, 02:30 PM

1. Apple Ecosystem
2. Google Ecosystem
3. Microsoft Ecosystem?

Yep, but there is always a way to make them all play together...I use an Android phone but still buy songs via iTunes on my iMac. I then use google Music Manager to stream them to my Android device. If I ever go back to Apple for my smartphone, iTunes will be already set up.

Is anyone else getting tired of the word "ecosystem"?

emvath
Jun 28, 2012, 02:32 PM
As long as it works better than iTunes match (which should be extremely easy) I may give it a shot.

techsmith
Jun 28, 2012, 02:40 PM

1. Apple Ecosystem
2. Google Ecosystem
3. Microsoft Ecosystem?
4. Amazon Ecosystem

I think the Apple ecosystem is a major reason that people stick with Apple, so it makes sense that others are trying to copy it. I won't lie; I've been very tempted by what I've seen in the pipeline from Windows Phone, Blackberry 10 (it actually looks quite good and everyone I know who has a Playbook loves it), Windows 8, etc. Everyone is putting up their A game! But I just can't imagine giving up my Mac or my iPhone because they are just great products that work so perfectly together! Since I used to carry a Palm Pilot in 2000 I've been trying to find a way to keep my mail, addresses, etc. in sync between devices and Apple has got this down to a science and has taken it much further by keeping music, photos, notes, to do lists, etc. in sync. They've had this down for years via iTunes sync, and now have done even better by keeping everything in sync via the cloud.

miniroll32
Jun 28, 2012, 02:45 PM
Microsoft are a bit late to the party on this one...

Chupa Chupa
Jun 28, 2012, 02:46 PM

1. Apple Ecosystem
2. Google Ecosystem
3. Microsoft Ecosystem?

You forgot Amazon ecosystem.

I think this the short reality, and the fact is people don't use the iTunes ecosystem b/c it's Apple. They use it b/c they use Apple products. And the longer they use Apple products, and buy from the iTunes ecosystem it makes it that much harder to move to another platform, even if the others make less expensive h/w or have one or two better features. At this point a "me too" product won't cut it. It's going to take either something revolutionary or a colossal Apple stumble.

I suspect all of these formats will survive but they'll never de-throne Apple at this rate.

bungiefan89
Jun 28, 2012, 02:48 PM
Would be nice to actually have information about it other than they plan to release something.
Ditto!
So much tech news these days is companies just unveiling vague things. They're not releasing new products, they're not selling anything to the public, they're just feeding the tech media a line about "Look at this toy we've made that might be a product some day. Feel free to blog about it with months of speculation so we get some free advertising in the lead up to whenever we decide to sell something or not."
This is what we got with Google Glass, with Microsoft Surface (the one from a few weeks ago AND the table-top computer from 2007), with Nintendo's Wii U, and even with Apple and their slow releases of "previews" of Lion and Mountain Lion.
I remember the Microsoft releasing their first video of the Kinect in mid 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIbGnBQcJY) with Peter Molyneux saying explicitly, "And this technology works now. Today." And then they didn't actually release the thing until some time late 2010, and it worked almost nothing like promised with all the facial recognition and the taking pictures of your skateboard and being able to interact emotionally with a character on screen.
Call me cynical, but after being jerked around by so many teasers of great things to come and so much speculation to gush over and so little information on tech specs, pricing, availability, compatibility, or even release dates, I can't help but take "news" like this with a grain of salt.

CorComp
Jun 28, 2012, 03:05 PM
Microsoft are still playing catchup and trying to compete in areas already well established.

Microsoft have lost their mojo, they need to innovate like Apple did with the iPad, iPod and iTunes.

samcraig
Jun 28, 2012, 03:17 PM
I clicked on my bookmark for MacRumors and wound up on Engadget? I know.. I know.. downvote this for me being snarky. I can take it...

SeattleMoose
Jun 28, 2012, 03:17 PM
Some real innovation coming out of MS.....;)

John IV
Jun 28, 2012, 04:20 PM
Nexus Q $299
XBox 360 $299
Apple TV $99
:confused:

iSee
Jun 28, 2012, 04:27 PM
This seems like the 3rd or 4th music service MS has created... will anyone buy in this time around?

bungiefan89
Jun 28, 2012, 04:40 PM
Yep, but there is always a way to make them all play together...I use an Android phone but still buy songs via iTunes on my iMac. I then use google Music Manager to stream them to my Android device. If I ever go back to Apple for my smartphone, iTunes will be already set up.

Is anyone else getting tired of the word "ecosystem"?I think it's just the latest iteration of "e-commerce" from the 90s.

thekev
Jun 28, 2012, 04:45 PM
Nexus Q $299
XBox 360 $299
Apple TV $99
:confused:

The Apple TV and the XBox 360 have different capabilities :p. Beyond that Apple is most likely able to share parts with the Apple TV. There was speculation regarding lower binned ARM chips not suitable for the ipad making their way into the Apple TV instead with one core turned off.

MS just wants to allocate more functions to an existing product. We'll see how it works out for them.

faroZ06
Jun 28, 2012, 04:53 PM
So they just changed the name to match a successful product they have...

----------

The Apple TV and the XBox 360 have different capabilities :p. Beyond that Apple is most likely able to share parts with the Apple TV. There was speculation regarding lower binned ARM chips not suitable for the ipad making their way into the Apple TV instead with one core turned off.

MS just wants to allocate more functions to an existing product. We'll see how it works out for them.

Add iOS games to Apple TV? Or remake the Pippin?

Renzatic
Jun 28, 2012, 05:02 PM
I think it's just the latest iteration of "e-commerce" from the 90s.

I get my digital e-music by cybersurfing the Information Superhighway. To the max. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3018396/Misc/arms.gif

faroZ06
Jun 28, 2012, 05:23 PM
I get my digital e-music by cybersurfing the Information Superhighway. To the max. Image (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3018396/Misc/arms.gif)

Aren't personal computers great?

thekev
Jun 28, 2012, 05:31 PM
So they just changed the name to match a successful product they have...

----------

Add iOS games to Apple TV? Or remake the Pippin?

The Apple TV doesn't have quite the hardware specs of the ipad, so while it's possible, you may not get the same experience. The Xbox 360 also grew from a gaming platform, so they have a higher level of maturity here. Many of you seem to underestimate the potential they have there. MS has great engineers and a lot of people. They've primarily messed up on execution. A few people on here have even mentioned that their zune music service under Windows 7 isn't bad, yet they never really made it with that platform. The potential is there. The execution just needs to be better. Microsoft always just tries to force their way into saturated markets by spending large amounts of money, and that seems to be a major problem. They could do something interesting for once rather than just try to match the direction of their competition. Anyway... I've used both devices (Xbox 360 and Apple TV). I don't personally own either as I don't want them.

inreasonsimage
Jun 28, 2012, 05:37 PM
Microsoft is also making a substantial push on the music side, talking to labels about launching a hybrid music service that would offer both iTunes-like downloads and Spotify-like s

What??? The Zune Pass already has these features. The Zune Pass is great. It's a shame it's not better known. The original subscription plan, which I have and is no longer available to new members, includes both an all-you-can-eat subscription plan and 10 DRM-free song credits per month for only $14.99/month or $149.99/year.

DingleButt
Jun 28, 2012, 06:35 PM
What??? The Zune Pass already has these features. The Zune Pass is great. It's a shame it's not better known. The original subscription plan, which I have and is no longer available to new members, includes both an all-you-can-eat subscription plan and 10 DRM-free song credits per month for only $14.99/month or $149.99/year.

Yes. Zune pretty much has all this stuff (Except Cloud storage of your personal music which may be getting introduced based on what has been said). Im wondering if its a re-branding a re-hyping of Zune with a bigger integration and social push or if its something completely new.

It sounds good though and Im interested since I have XBOX and Windows 8.

Im not a fan of the current Music app on Win 8 though so I hope it's improved a lot.

Dr McKay
Jun 28, 2012, 06:37 PM
I understand why they dropped the Zune name, but why change to Xbox Music, I think it'll confuse people having an "Xbox Music" app on Windows and Windows Phone. Why not simply "Music" or "Microsoft Music"?

It should have streaming etc, Zune allows streaming of songs and this seems to be a rename. They wouldn't remove features would they?

DingleButt
Jun 28, 2012, 06:39 PM
I understand why they dropped the Zune name, but why change to Xbox Music, I think it'll confuse people having an "Xbox Music" app on Windows and Windows Phone. Why not simply "Music" or "Microsoft Music"?

It should have streaming etc, Zune allows streaming of songs and this seems to be a rename. They wouldn't remove features would they?

Because XBOX is now their entertainment brand it seems

faroZ06
Jun 28, 2012, 07:02 PM
The Apple TV doesn't have quite the hardware specs of the ipad, so while it's possible, you may not get the same experience.

There are a lot of apps that could work on it. You don't need iPad specs to use most of the apps anyway, so the only real limitation is the remote control. Certain utilities and games would work, especially if they added support to use an iPhone/iPod as a game controller.

LethalWolfe
Jun 28, 2012, 07:44 PM

1. Apple Ecosystem
2. Google Ecosystem
3. Microsoft Ecosystem?
And with SmartGlass MS is opening up its ecosystem to iOS and Android users.

thekev
Jun 28, 2012, 07:56 PM
There are a lot of apps that could work on it. You don't need iPad specs to use most of the apps anyway, so the only real limitation is the remote control. Certain utilities and games would work, especially if they added support to use an iPhone/iPod as a game controller.

I'm sure they've talked about it, but we don't have this functionality shipping today. Does the Apple TV have a developer API?

Yes. Zune pretty much has all this stuff (Except Cloud storage of your personal music which may be getting introduced based on what has been said). Im wondering if its a re-branding a re-hyping of Zune with a bigger integration and social push or if its something completely new.

It sounds good though and Im interested since I have XBOX and Windows 8.

Im not a fan of the current Music app on Win 8 though so I hope it's improved a lot.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did rebrand it. While it matured into a decent service, it carries the stigma of a product that failed to survive alongside the ipod.

faroZ06
Jun 28, 2012, 08:06 PM

What is the all-you-can-eat subscription plan?

jonnysods
Jun 28, 2012, 08:06 PM
I hope they do well. There always has to be companies out there trying to put Apple's feet to the fire. It works out great for all of us!

Renzatic
Jun 28, 2012, 08:07 PM
Aren't personal computers great?

They are totally radical, brah!

What is the all-you-can-eat subscription plan?

If I'm remembering right, think of it as a cross between iTunes and Spotify. As long as you're paying your $15 a month, you can stream any song off the Zune marketplace. I also believe it allows you to download a few songs a month to keep for yourself.

edit: Pretty much what the guy you quoted said.

marconiusrex
Jun 28, 2012, 09:05 PM
Wow! It's like what someone without any design ability, talent or imagination would think a good media site would look like! :confused:

Renzatic
Jun 28, 2012, 09:15 PM
Wow! It's like what someone without any design ability, talent or imagination would think a good media site would look like! :confused:

I use Apple computers. I'm good at judging these things.

DougB541
Jun 28, 2012, 09:22 PM
As a user a BIG fan of the Zune pass...if they take the zune pass multi-platform i will be VERY happy.

revelated
Jun 28, 2012, 09:40 PM
Late to the game, but it will be interesting to see what they are ultimately able to offer.

They're not.

MSN Music started it years ago. Zune Marketplace took over. Zune Marketplace quite frankly is and was superior in presentation to iTunes, from its general look and feel to navigation and music management. Zune's failing is that it only worked with Zune devices and didn't properly support other OS's or even mass storage.

The issue I see with Xbox Music or whatever they call it is that I think it's quite unwise to name your market after your gaming device. Could you imagine Nintendo Music?

Right now Amazon MP3 is the best deal running. Wide open music, not limited by device or OS, great prices, and lots of free storage.

DougB541
Jun 28, 2012, 09:56 PM
They're not.

MSN Music started it years ago. Zune Marketplace took over. Zune Marketplace quite frankly is and was superior in presentation to iTunes, from its general look and feel to navigation and music management. Zune's failing is that it only worked with Zune devices and didn't properly support other OS's or even mass storage.

The issue I see with Xbox Music or whatever they call it is that I think it's quite unwise to name your market after your gaming device. Could you imagine Nintendo Music?

Right now Amazon MP3 is the best deal running. Wide open music, not limited by device or OS, great prices, and lots of free storage.

Disagree a bit here...xbox is microsoft's probably most popular consumer facing brand. And xbox has been making strides as an entertainment device....I think a lot of people are shifting away from "xbox = games" and to xbox = entertainment.

And Amazon is the best for buying music. But Zune pass is really my favorite subscription service. Only held back by having to have a zune to carry the music with you. Granted i have a Zune 80 and i was using windows phone for a bit, but if there was a zune app on every platform i think it would gain popularity.

notjustjay
Jun 28, 2012, 10:21 PM
Welcome to the party Msft.

You mean "Welcome to the social" :D

revelated
Jun 28, 2012, 11:22 PM
Disagree a bit here...xbox is microsoft's probably most popular consumer facing brand. And xbox has been making strides as an entertainment device....I think a lot of people are shifting away from "xbox = games" and to xbox = entertainment.

And Amazon is the best for buying music. But Zune pass is really my favorite subscription service. Only held back by having to have a zune to carry the music with you. Granted i have a Zune 80 and i was using windows phone for a bit, but if there was a zune app on every platform i think it would gain popularity.

I guarantee you if I walked on the street and polled people about what they thought an XBox was, half of them would not know ("is that like a PlayStation?"). The other half would not associate the brand with Microsoft.

Microsoft's problem is that they can't just create brands randomly. That's a recipe for failure. Look at Kin for evidence of that.

I actually think they were on the right track with the "Live" sub-branding. Windows Live, Xbox Live, Hotmail Live, etc. That way they keep their existing mantras but open the door for Live Video, Live Music, etc. Too bad they ended up dropping it.

faroZ06
Jun 29, 2012, 02:18 AM
I still hold a grudge against the XBOX platform because it cut so far into Gamecube sales because of its DVD-playing features that require a @#$%ing separate remote anyway. Gamecube is the best! Well at least XBOX had way better controllers than the PS2...

Oh, and the fact that my XBOX broke for no reason doesn't help. The new (used) one I got is already glitching occasionally.

kiljoy616
Jun 29, 2012, 07:29 AM
I'll stick with match as i don't own anything microsoft.

You must be new to MS this is normal for them making announcements a year or more before hand and then nothing is not that uncommon for MS. Still I doubt this is not for real but will hold judgement till they actually bring it out.

Oh MS you never cease to entertain me. :rolleyes:

----------

Is it time to switch over to only reporting things that don't have cloud storage? It may be easier.

Well that going to get harder since everyone and their mother is going in that directions. Even Cisco is pushing it as personal cloud computing. No where to run from it. :eek:

----------

Ditto!
So much tech news these days is companies just unveiling vague things. They're not releasing new products, they're not selling anything to the public, they're just feeding the tech media a line about "Look at this toy we've made that might be a product some day. Feel free to blog about it with months of speculation so we get some free advertising in the lead up to whenever we decide to sell something or not."
This is what we got with Google Glass, with Microsoft Surface (the one from a few weeks ago AND the table-top computer from 2007), with Nintendo's Wii U, and even with Apple and their slow releases of "previews" of Lion and Mountain Lion.
I remember the Microsoft releasing their first video of the Kinect in mid 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIbGnBQcJY) with Peter Molyneux saying explicitly, "And this technology works now. Today." And then they didn't actually release the thing until some time late 2010, and it worked almost nothing like promised with all the facial recognition and the taking pictures of your skateboard and being able to interact emotionally with a character on screen.
Call me cynical, but after being jerked around by so many teasers of great things to come and so much speculation to gush over and so little information on tech specs, pricing, availability, compatibility, or even release dates, I can't help but take "news" like this with a grain of salt.

Will call you "cynical" but also "realist" because you are so right every count.:D

Renzatic
Jun 29, 2012, 07:34 AM
You must be new to MS this is normal for them making announcements a year or more before hand and then nothing is not that uncommon for MS. Still I doubt this is not for real but will hold judgement till they actually bring it out.

Oh MS you never cease to entertain me. :rolleyes:

I just logged into it not even 3 minutes ago. From the looks of it, this is an extension to the Windows 8 music marketplace, which is an update to the been out since forever now Zune Marketplace.

VenusianSky
Jun 29, 2012, 08:15 AM
So many Clouds out there are darkening my day.

I can't see the Sun anymore... :D

Actually, there is only one cloud. It use to be called the Internet.

3. Microsoft Ecosystem?

You mean the Microsoft ecosystem that has been running businesses for over ten years, or that consumer stuff that rotates like a merry-go-round?

SBlue1
Jun 29, 2012, 08:31 AM
Now that sounds interesting.

Amazing Iceman
Jun 29, 2012, 08:59 AM
Actually, there is only one cloud. It use to be called the Internet.

As you said: It used to be...
So the question now is: What the heck happened?

The term Cloud is being used everywhere. You'll hear of Corporate Cloud, Personal Cloud, Remote Cloud, iCloud, IBM Cloud, Ingram Micro Cloud Services, etc...
What's going on???

whooleytoo
Jun 29, 2012, 09:03 AM
As you said: It used to be...
So the question now is: What the heck happened?

The term Cloud is being used everywhere. You'll hear of Corporate Cloud, Personal Cloud, Remote Cloud, iCloud, IBM Cloud, Ingram Micro Cloud Services, etc...
What's going on???

It's just the latest buzz word for a concept that's been around for quite some time. Once the business/marketing folk got their hands on it, everything suddenly was all about being "in/on the cloud". In a year's time most of us will be taking cloud storage for granted, and there'll be a new buzz phrase/technology..

Major.Robto
Jun 29, 2012, 10:58 AM
I doubt this will even come to canada.

Knowing us canadiens are left out of the american fun all the time... Microsoft is bad with us at times,

I know I had a live outage for a week and it was only canadiens reporting the problem.

Be nice if microsfot does snyc and stuff like apple does. Would make them go higher in the world if you ask me.

Sackvillenb
Jun 29, 2012, 11:27 AM
If implemented well, this could be good. That being said, I doubt I would buy much form them... but, I do really like my 360, and having more functionality in it will be great.

Howardchief
Jun 29, 2012, 11:33 AM
Anyone know what kind of tv that is in the picture?

KevinN206
Jun 29, 2012, 06:21 PM

Oh MS you never cease to entertain me. :rolleyes:[COLOR="#808080"]

They announced the rebrand of Zune Music to Xbox Music along with the launch of Xbox SmartGlass for the launch of Windows 8 of THIS year. It's expected that Windows 8 would be available in October for the holiday season.

THIS story was NOT something Microsoft announced. If you read the article, some unidentified sources LEAKED this information. Now, you could be saying that someone from Microsoft did, but what about all the rumors and leaks from Apple? Likewise, how do these annoucements differ for Apple's annoucement for iOS 6 in Fall of this year?

Microsoft has a lot of things launching by the end of this year:

Windows 8 PC
Windows 8 tablet
Windows Phone 8
Xbox SmartGlass
Xbox Music with 30 million songs

These products don't even include enterprise and development software.

smoledman
Jun 29, 2012, 06:37 PM
So the consensus is that Microsoft is late to the party on just about everything, therefore they should just give up? Even some diehard MS haters admit that Microsoft can be in business forever just doing enterprise stuff.

----------

They announced the rebrand of Zune Music to Xbox Music along with the launch of Xbox SmartGlass for the launch of Windows 8 of THIS year. It's expected that Windows 8 would be available in October for the holiday season.

THIS story was NOT something Microsoft announced. If you read the article, some unidentified sources LEAKED this information. Now, you could be saying that someone from Microsoft did, but what about all the rumors and leaks from Apple? Likewise, how do these annoucements differ for Apple's annoucement for iOS 6 in Fall of this year?

Microsoft has a lot of things launching by the end of this year:

Windows 8 PC
Windows 8 tablet
Windows Phone 8
Xbox SmartGlass
Xbox Music with 30 million songs

These products don't even include enterprise and development software.

C#/.NET >>>>> Objective-C/Cocoa. The only thing going for Apple is the fact that there is more money to be made right now in iOS apps.

Dionte
Jun 29, 2012, 11:03 PM
Is eMusic.com available in the US? While they lack a lot of big-name artists, they're a lot cheaper than that. I'm paying 36c per track.

(That said, you can't just buy just 1 song from them. You have to to buy a monthly package and if you don't use the downloads, you lose them. Still, you can cancel after you've downloaded your month's worth).

Thanks, it says you gets a $20 credit for signing up and most artist songs I buy are around 79 cents. #winning

whooleytoo
Jun 30, 2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks, it says you gets a $20 credit for signing up and most artist songs I buy are around 79 cents. #winning

Nice. I'm on a grandfathered plan, which is why I'm getting songs for 36c (Euro), but 79c sounds almost pricey. I guess it depends on which monthly option you go for.

FYI, there is one down-side to eMusic relative to iTunes and others. If you buy albums with lots of tracks (say, 50+), most stores will give you an album price of 10-15 euros, whereas eMusic still charges per-track, which could be up to 10 times the album price. If I find one I want, I cancel my eMusic subscription, buy it much cheaper on iTunes or alternative, and then re-sign up on eMusic the following month (they let me re-start my grandfathered plan).

Dionte
Jun 30, 2012, 09:03 AM
Nice. I'm on a grandfathered plan, which is why I'm getting songs for 36c (Euro), but 79c sounds almost pricey. I guess it depends on which monthly option you go for.

FYI, there is one down-side to eMusic relative to iTunes and others. If you buy albums with lots of tracks (say, 50+), most stores will give you an album price of 10-15 euros, whereas eMusic still charges per-track, which could be up to 10 times the album price. If I find one I want, I cancel my eMusic subscription, buy it much cheaper on iTunes or alternative, and then re-sign up on eMusic the following month (they let me re-start my grandfathered plan).

I rarely buy albums anymore unless amazon is having one of those $5 sales.

noty
Jun 30, 2012, 11:41 PM
I really wish Apple would offer an iTunes subscription service. I love Spotify but I also miss Siri support when playing music in my car (when it works).

divinox
Jul 6, 2012, 08:29 PM
You forgot Amazon ecosystem.

I think this the short reality, and the fact is people don't use the iTunes ecosystem b/c it's Apple. They use it b/c they use Apple products. And the longer they use Apple products, and buy from the iTunes ecosystem it makes it that much harder to move to another platform, even if the others make less expensive h/w or have one or two better features. At this point a "me too" product won't cut it. It's going to take either something revolutionary or a colossal Apple stumble.

I suspect all of these formats will survive but they'll never de-throne Apple at this rate.

You are missing the obvious part that MSFT doesn't need to take a single user from Apple, but only retain the ones they already have - which last time i checked were quite a few. Also, i have yet to see any hard numbers suggesting that ecosystem buy-ins for the average user are worth mentioning in dollars.

Chupa Chupa
Jul 9, 2012, 07:57 AM
You are missing the obvious part that MSFT doesn't need to take a single user from Apple, but only retain the ones they already have - which last time i checked were quite a few. Also, i have yet to see any hard numbers suggesting that ecosystem buy-ins for the average user are worth mentioning in dollars.

XBOX customers are dwarfed by iOS customers. MSFT, like any company, strives to grow it's business, not maintain it. I wouldn't be so bold to lump Win customers into the same bucket as XBOX customers. It's already been proven w/ MSFT's previous offerings that Win customers are not loyal to Win or MSFT. If that were not the case the iPod wouldn't have made a significant and import ant sales boom when Apple opened up iPod to Win. That was the true start of the iOS revolution.

divinox
Jul 9, 2012, 09:43 AM
XBOX customers are dwarfed by iOS customers. MSFT, like any company, strives to grow it's business, not maintain it. I wouldn't be so bold to lump Win customers into the same bucket as XBOX customers. It's already been proven w/ MSFT's previous offerings that Win customers are not loyal to Win or MSFT. If that were not the case the iPod wouldn't have made a significant and import ant sales boom when Apple opened up iPod to Win. That was the true start of the iOS revolution.

Way to compare two different markets. AppleTV customers are dwarfed by Xbox customers. What now? Second, certainly MSFT wants to grow their business, but its hard to grow your business when you have 90% of the market. Further, if tablets take off, and MSFT manages to hold their position, how is that not growing? Once again, they do not need to take a single customer from Apple, they just need to retain the ones they have. The issue for MSFT isn't the number of customers they have, but the money they are able to get from them - which in turn is linked to the number of products each has, and the frequency within which these are replaced.

Further, even if we buy your premiss that MSFT customers aren't loyal, what is the relevance? What i said was that MSFT only needs to retain their customers. If they retain them through loyalty, through superior offerings, or through cakes, doesn't matter as far as the argument goes.

EbookReader
Jul 9, 2012, 11:37 AM
X-Box is looking to get in on some of this

Spotify Revenue:

2008: $0.612 million USD
2009: $18.1 million USD
2010: $99 million USD
2011: $236.4 million USD
2012: projected at $889 million USD

AMAZING GROWTH.....

DougB541
Jul 30, 2012, 10:05 AM
I guarantee you if I walked on the street and polled people about what they thought an XBox was, half of them would not know ("is that like a PlayStation?"). The other half would not associate the brand with Microsoft.

Microsoft's problem is that they can't just create brands randomly. That's a recipe for failure. Look at Kin for evidence of that.

I actually think they were on the right track with the "Live" sub-branding. Windows Live, Xbox Live, Hotmail Live, etc. That way they keep their existing mantras but open the door for Live Video, Live Music, etc. Too bad they ended up dropping it.

You do know xbox is outselling Playstation here in the good ol' US of A right?

Xbox is not this unknown brand anymore.

Bubba Satori
Jul 30, 2012, 12:35 PM

1. Apple Ecosystem
2. Google Ecosystem
3. Microsoft Ecosystem?

Yes, but you forgot Amazon.

And in 5 years consolidation.