Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slapbang12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
Hi,

I have an iPod touch 4th gen and i have changed the screen on it (done about 12 now, so I like to think I know what im doing haha)

Tested the screen and everything worked fine, passcode lock came up - happy days.

Then I went away from it, I knew it had to be charged so I went to put it on charge - just as I was about to plug it in i noticed that the ipod wasnt on. So I went to turn it on and now the apple logo flashes on and off and it wont power on. Its just on a constant loop of flashing on and off with the apple logo - even when its not plugged in!

Im now waiting to see if the battery dies anytime soon so I can let it "rest"

Just to make matters even more annoying the ipod wont even connect to itunes - or rather my computers wont detect it, even in a range of ports

Any suggestions?? Is it possible for it to just blow up??

Your help is much appreciated :)

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
I think you have the right idea of letting the battery go completely flat. When the iPod Touch is completely off, THEN try your restore procedures.

On a similar note, I had an iPod Nano that exhibited that same problem. Ended up that its battery was having problems accepting a charge. This was one of the old ones that could charge from the Firewire cable (with more voltage). Charging that iPod up from Firewire fixed the battery! Weird, huh?

slapbang12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
Yes it did work! Was a pain waiting for it to discharge - could have been a surge of some sort! Alls well ends well :)

kippywylie

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
Yes it did work! Was a pain waiting for it to discharge - could have been a surge of some sort! Alls well ends well :)

Whew!!! I am SO HAPPY I stumbled upon this thread!!! I too replaced my digitizer/lcd screen, and upon powering had the crazy FLASHING.
Caused by?:
1) At some point I must have powered the ipod 4th gen on and mucked something up (wild guess) by touching things in the power-on mode?
2) When I finally did get the screen to light up after about 30 failed re-assembles of the digitizer-ipod connector, the device said LOW BATTERY so I plugged it into my larger iPad cord and 120v "block". The screen almost immediately when into a "flashing" apple mode.

Late last night I found this thread and then allowed the iPod 4th gen to flash all night long and deplete the battery. This morning it is connected to my PC and seems to be responding absolutely normally... slow charge, loading iTunes, asking to restore.
One other note, during this crazy flashing attack the device was not "see-able" USB by any PC. Now it is shown as an iPod in "My Devices'
WHEW!!! Almost tossed it in the trash. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.