PDA

View Full Version : Sold MBP; that person can't update iLife apps

justaregularjoe
Jun 28, 2012, 03:49 PM
Having a bit of an annoying issue here. I owned the laptop for a few months, using it under my Apple ID. Have since sold it, but now the new owner is finding that she has to enter *my* ID, saying something like that I "purchased the apps" with that ID; while obviously they are free, but I updated and used them under my ID.

What can she or I do to fix this? I feel like it's my fault.

iVoid
Jun 28, 2012, 09:07 PM
How did you get the iLife apps? With the computer or buying them from the app store?

If you bought them from the Mac App Store (MAS), then app store apps can't be resold or given to other people (and expect them to be able to update them from the MAS at least). Apple and other digital distributors LOVE this part of their business since it reduces competition from used software sales.

If they came with the computer, then usually they are tied to the serial number and the first apple ID used on a Mac. Basically the serial number tells apple what apps came with it and allows you to use that version with your appleID.

Or is she trying to update the iLife '09 version to the current MAS versions? If this is the case, then the new verisons are PAID upgrade (well PAID buying of the new versions sicne the MAS doesn't have upgrade pricing for anything). She'll have to buy them using the MAS and her own appleID.

justaregularjoe
Jun 28, 2012, 10:21 PM
Machine came with Lion. Apps were already installed on first use, I think, and when I first browsed the MAS, the updates popped up. Typed in my Apple ID, and the downloads of the updates started. I didn't buy these apps. I updated them.

Mainly I am just trying to figure out how to detach my ID from these apps and anything else on the machine.

justaregularjoe
Jun 29, 2012, 07:43 PM
Still looking for possible solutions, any ideas?

Jaben3421
Jun 29, 2012, 08:03 PM
As soon as you turn on the computer and you log in, and open the MAC, I would believe it registers your those apps on the computer with your UDID or serial number, with that account. I got a new MacBook Pro last year and it asked me for my account and now the apps appeared in my purchased tab, so I now have iLife '11 on all my computers. Long story short, there in your account and Apple doesn't allow you to transfer them. It's a stupid policy but it makes money for Apple, so I guess they're happy.

justaregularjoe
Jun 29, 2012, 08:22 PM
What if I have her do a clean (fresh) installation?

This is stupid. The apps come with Lion, not each machine. Multiple users on the same computer can all use iLife, but I can't simply deauthorize my purchases to allow them to be transferred to a new owner?

astrorider
Jun 29, 2012, 08:25 PM
I'm fairly sure the apps that came with your computer are tied to your serial number, such that if you were to completely clear your mac you can reinstall Lion and those apps from the App Store. Once installed, it sounds like they are additionally tied to your Apple ID. So it may be that the only way to not have them tied to your Apple ID is to have the new buyer erase and clean install the OS and apps.

Mal
Jun 29, 2012, 08:37 PM
What if I have her do a clean (fresh) installation?

This is stupid. The apps come with Lion, not each machine. Multiple users on the same computer can all use iLife, but I can't simply deauthorize my purchases to allow them to be transferred to a new owner?

No, they don't. iLife is completely separate with Lion. When you purchase a new Mac, you get iLife included as well as OS X. Because of the way Apple has implemented this, they belong to you and are not transferrable when you sell the machine. The buyer will need to delete them and purchase their own copies from the App Store.

jW