PDA

View Full Version : Apple Announces Retirement of Bob Mansfield, Senior VP of Hardware Engineering

MacRumors
Jun 28, 2012, 05:15 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/28/svp-of-hardware-engineer-bob-mansfield-to-retire/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/NewImage33.png

Apple Senior Vice President of Hardware Engineering Bob Mansfield is retiring, according to an Apple press release (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/06/28Bob-Mansfield-Apples-Senior-Vice-President-of-Hardware-Engineering-to-Retire.html). He joined Apple in 1999. He has led Mac hardware engineering since 2005, along with iPhone, iPod, and iPad engineering since 2010.
Apple® today announced that Bob Mansfield, Apple's senior vice president of Hardware Engineering, will retire and the role will be transitioned to Dan Riccio, Apple's vice president of iPad Hardware Engineering, over several months. The entire hardware engineering team will continue to report to Mansfield until his departure.

"Bob has been an instrumental part of our executive team, leading the hardware engineering organization and overseeing the team that has delivered dozens of breakthrough products over the years," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "We are very sad to have him leave and hope he enjoys every day of his retirement."
Mansfield has been instrumental in Apple's success in recent years, overseeing the development of the very successful MacBook Air notebooks, as well as recent iPhone and iPad designs. With rumors of an iPhone redesign coming this fall, it's possible that Mansfield wanted to stay with Apple through the introduction of that product.

He has sold off more than $70 million (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/27/apple-svp-bob-mansfield-sells-off-99-of-aapl-shares/) in Apple stock and options (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/01/apple-hardware-chief-bob-mansfield-cashes-in-nearly-12-5-million-in-stock-options/) in the past few years.

Dan Riccio (http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dan-riccio/10/922/160), the executive taking over Mansfield's responsibilities, has been with Apple since 1998. He was vice president of product design for 12 years before taking over the iPad division in 2010. Apple's press release says Riccio "has been a key contributor to most of Apple's hardware over his career."

In a separate announcement made today in a filing (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/320193/000118143112038301/rrd349607.htm) with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Apple reported that Corporate Controller and Principal Accounting Office Betsy Rafael will also be retiring, effective October 19.

Article Link: Apple Announces Retirement of Bob Mansfield, Senior VP of Hardware Engineering (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/28/svp-of-hardware-engineer-bob-mansfield-to-retire/)

GBrooks
Jun 28, 2012, 05:17 PM
He's done a great job. Deserves a rest! :)

nuckinfutz
Oh man. Mansfeld seemed like a solid guy but hell if I had millions in stock options I too would get on with my life.

Godspeed Mansfeld!

LimeiBook86
Well he has certainty deserved it! Thanks and best of luck Bob! :D

But I'll miss seeing his face in the videos Apple releases. :)

jav6454
Jun 28, 2012, 05:19 PM
How old is he? He looks very young. Goes to say he will have a nice retirement....

vivithemage
Jun 28, 2012, 05:19 PM
This dude is probably loaded!

chrmjenkins
Jun 28, 2012, 05:20 PM
Maybe he'll come back with a slimmer redesign from Ive.

dpruitt
Jun 28, 2012, 05:20 PM
Have fun, Bob. Now you can sit around wiping your a$$ with $100 bills, and enjoy your grandkids.

Zimmer62943
Jun 28, 2012, 05:21 PM
just following the trend, RIP Bob

Eduardo1971
I too will miss his presence during keynotes. Mr. Mansfield has his quirky charm that I enjoyed.

All the very best.

macnerd93
its understandable, but if I had his job (me personally & no one else) I think I'd work literally until the day I died. He's done Apple well these past few years and deserves his break.

TSE
Jun 28, 2012, 05:22 PM
He was a huge part of Apple's success, no doubt. Good luck to him. :)

TwinMonkeys
This dude is probably loaded!

Yes. He's probably loaded, and has the opportunity to spend the next 20-30 years living it up anywhere he wants doing almost anything he wants to do. I don't blame him for wanting to get out and live a stress-free life even if he's a bit younger than traditional retirement age.

troop231
I'm sure going to miss him in those new iPhone and iPad promotional videos.

thekev
Oh man. Mansfeld seemed like a solid guy but hell if I had millions in stock options I too would get on with my life.

Godspeed Mansfeld!

It doesn't have to mean that he'll never work again. It could be a new job or it could just be personal projects.

Gregintosh
Jun 28, 2012, 05:23 PM
The dream in business is to get rich so you can enjoy life. This is what he seems to be doing, so good for him!

Granted, designing products may be fun for a while, but everyone burns out doing the same thing day in and day out. And if you spend all your life in the office, you won't get to enjoy any of the benefits of making all that money.

And you really have to make some good memories and have great experiences to truly live life.

No one on their deathbed has ever said "gee, I wish I spent more time at the office."

Peace
Jun 28, 2012, 05:24 PM
Good luck Bob.

"the role will be transitioned to Dan Riccio, Apple's vice president of iPad Hardware Engineering, over several months"

This has me wondering if Apple truly is becoming an iToy company.

east85
Jun 28, 2012, 05:25 PM
The conclusion: If you don't like iOS inclusion in OS X, prepare to accept it or move on. I think we're going to start seeing some of it on the hardware level as well, maybe the inclusion of touch based hardware anyone?

fs454
Jun 28, 2012, 05:26 PM
Good luck Bob.

"the role will be transitioned to Dan Riccio, Apple's vice president of iPad Hardware Engineering, over several months"

This has me wondering in Apple truly is becoming an iToy company.

Yeah, kind of scary. Bob Mansfield knew what was up on all courts.

isoMorpheus
Really, any SVP at Apple can retire right now with enough money for the rest of their lives. So Mansfield quits.

Drew n macs
Apple will miss him but he has every right to enjoy retirement.

dsass600
Jun 28, 2012, 05:27 PM
Solid dude. But couldn't handle the android!

aPple nErd
Jun 28, 2012, 05:28 PM
there goes apples design success for the last part of apples life...

Cheffy Dave
Jun 28, 2012, 05:29 PM
just following the trend, RIP Bob

Grow up!

chrmjenkins
Jun 28, 2012, 05:31 PM
Good luck Bob.

He was just the next most qualified, most likely. The fact that he was the head of engineering for a media consumption device does not mean that's the only thing he comprehends or will be competent at. It also seems likely to me that the head of iphone engineering probably stayed in place to have laser focus on the end of the next iphone's design cycle and the next iphone going forward given the competition in that market segment is much stiffer for apple.

teknikal90
Jun 28, 2012, 05:32 PM
I hope apple's culture goes beyond the senior VPs!

clukas
Jun 28, 2012, 05:34 PM
sad to see him go, but its very understandable. He has worked very hard to make apple what it is today. Im a little jealous, but I hope he enjoys and gets the most out of his retirement.

LaWally
Jun 28, 2012, 05:35 PM
He must be in a hurry to get out.

According to the last paragraph of the linked MR story from February of this year, he is walking away from two restricted stock grants that he would have been eligible to receive had he stayed through 2016, which were valued at $114M at the time of the story.

Linked Story (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/01/apple-hardware-chief-bob-mansfield-cashes-in-nearly-12-5-million-in-stock-options/)

apolloa
Jun 28, 2012, 05:39 PM
What do you reckon Apple gives it's high level employees when they leave after several years? I mean I know he gets the stock etc, but do you think they get Gold Macs? Or iPhones?

Beasty34
Jun 28, 2012, 05:43 PM
I'll miss when he does that little circular motion with his hands on product videos and that his surname is a small town near me. Enjoy retirement Bob!

fiveainone
Jun 28, 2012, 05:46 PM
hmm.. retiring so young? forced retirement? ;)

Peace
Jun 28, 2012, 05:46 PM
He must be in a hurry to get out.

According to the last paragraph of the linked MR story from February of this year, he is walking away from two restricted stock grants that he would have been eligible to receive had he stayed through 2016, which were valued at $114M at the time of the story.

Linked Story (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/01/apple-hardware-chief-bob-mansfield-cashes-in-nearly-12-5-million-in-stock-options/)

hmmmmm.

He gave up $100 million to leave 3 years early ?

Something doesn't seem right here

samcraig
Jun 28, 2012, 05:47 PM
I wish Chris Farley -err I mean Bob all the best :)

Michaelgtrusa
Jun 28, 2012, 05:49 PM

Marzzz
Jun 28, 2012, 05:50 PM
I wish Chris Farley -err I mean Bob all the best :)I DESIGN HARDWARE IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (apologies for all caps, but Chris Farley lived his life with the caps lock on....)

dashiel
Jun 28, 2012, 05:50 PM
The dream in business is to get rich so you can enjoy life. This is what he seems to be doing, so good for him!

Granted, designing products may be fun for a while, but everyone burns out doing the same thing day in and day out. And if you spend all your life in the office, you won't get to enjoy any of the benefits of making all that money.

And you really have to make some good memories and have great experiences to truly live life.

No one on their deathbed has ever said "gee, I wish I spent more time at the office."

I disagree. The dream is to find something you love to do and an environment that enables you to excel Truly excellent people thrive on the challenge, the money is secondary. Steve exemplified this, working through cancer until weeks before he passed away. He’s certainly an outlier, but

I don’t begrudge the guy a day or dollar, but I won’t be surprised to find him at another company like Rubenstein or doing a start-up like Fadell.

G5isAlive
Jun 28, 2012, 05:52 PM
hmm.. retiring so young? forced retirement? ;)

could be, a company almost never says they booted an exec for a negative reason. Unless the story comes out in the press (or court).

But eh, either way he is smiling on his way to the bank.

Rychy
Jun 28, 2012, 05:52 PM
Sad to see him go, I loved the videos where he'd talk about the new hardware advances in a product. Can't say I blame him for wanting to retire early though. If I had the money I'd quit my job today.

Glideslope
Jun 28, 2012, 05:53 PM
Well deserved Bob. Many will miss you.

Enjoy it. :)

BC2009
He was just the next most qualified, most likely. The fact that he was the head of engineering for a media consumption device does not mean that's the only thing he comprehends or will be competent at. It also seems likely to me that the head of iphone engineering probably stayed in place to have laser focus on the end of the next iphone's design cycle and the next iphone going forward given the competition in that market segment is much stiffer for apple.

One correction -- iPad is not just a media consumption device. If you think that, then you either do not own one or you not using it to its full potential.

Incidentally, Mansfield got his BSEE degree in 1982 so that makes him roughly 52 years old (assuming he graduated from college at 22). I think retiring at 52 when you are a multi-multi-millionaire makes sense. For all we know, Bob would like to spend some time with his kids and grandkids or pursuing other talents he might have.

Porco
hmmmmm.

Well, how much money does anyone really need once they can live extremely comfortably and provide the same for their family? I'm sure Steve Jobs would have passed on $100 million of surplus cash in the bank for another 3 years in a heartbeat (though in his case it'd probably be so he could continue working!). If I had $70 million+ already, the mere promise of yet more money alone wouldn't be a good enough reason to stay on.

Something seems very right indeed here to me, good luck to the guy.

jaw04005
Jun 28, 2012, 05:54 PM
Good luck Bob.

Riccio was formerly vice president of Mac hardware before becoming head of the iPad division.

He's well rounded.

swingerofbirch
Jun 28, 2012, 05:54 PM
I'm on my lunch break from a pretty stressful wage job when I saw this, and I read how much money he's made off of stock, and my instant thought was: white sand beaches, clear blue waters, yachts. Of course I would retire, hehe. It made me relax for a split second imagining it all.

Glideslope
Jun 28, 2012, 05:57 PM
hmmmmm.

Could be health related. Can you imagine the stress of that position?

Stay 3 more and not see your grandchildren grow up, or leave now and help them on their way? Pretty simple to me. :apple:

obom
Jun 28, 2012, 05:57 PM
Does anyone know how old he is?

EDIT: found it, he is 50

Rocketman
Jun 28, 2012, 05:59 PM
http://investor.apple.com/sec.cfm

The filings detail grants of 150,000 shares for each of six senior vice president falling under the SEC's definition of directors, officers, and principal stockholders: general counsel Bruce Sewell; senior vice president of Operations Jeffrey Williams; worldwide product marketing SVP Philip Schiller; chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer; hardware engineering SVP Robert Mansfield; and iOS software SVP Scott Forstall.

At current market prices, 150,000 shares would be worth $60 million, but grants don't begin to vest until June of 2013, and the second half of the grant isn't available until March 2016, contingent upon the executives staying with Apple over the next half decade. Is he giving up hundreds of millions of dollars by retiring right now? If so, why?

BTW $114m on 2-1-12 ($456) would be worth about $142m today ($569) in a very down market for AAPL. Some folks claim AAPL will be over $1000 in the relevant time frame so $250m. Working 3 more years is a tiny price to pay for those earnings, so something is up.

Either it is a personal problem or there is a separation agreement we have not heard about yet where he retains some or all of his options, or like Steve he really doesn't care about money at all.

BTW the math is 75,000 shares on June 2013, a full year from now. At about $600 per share that is $45m.

the role will be transitioned to Dan Riccio, Apple’s vice president of iPad Hardware Engineering, over several months. The entire hardware engineering team will continue to report to Mansfield until his departure.Maybe by several months they mean 11-12 months?

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-05-02/tech/31534842_1_mercury-news-mansfields-current-laws

Rocketman

Jeff3f
Jun 28, 2012, 06:00 PM
I liked watching Bob Mansfield's appearances in apple videos because he is more like me (an overweight computer nerd style dude), and less like the other apple leadership (skinny health nuts with california accents or openly weird like Jobs). Not a slam on Jobs, but he would stand out even working at a Taco Bell!!

I thought perhaps he was being edged out too...but he's independently wealthy, and he's young enough to work again in the future. Perhaps start up a new Thermostat company with Jonny Ive, just to stick it to the other thermostat apple guy. The world is his oyster, but I'll miss seeing his appearances.

I don't remember exactly but I recall being surprised by Bob's proximity to Steve's widow at the Apple memorial thing (he was right next to her, either sitting or maybe just milling around). Anyway, he's either completing a last thing (iphone5 launch, rMBP) before retiring or perhaps he's being edged out in a friendly fashion (as friendly as such things can be).

Nothing is forever, and eventually the entire leadership team will leave...either thru retirement, quitting, or dying in the saddle. Given how Woz is managed (seems like he's tolerated with a fake "universal" key but kept isolated), I'm unsure if Apple would tolerate having "emeritus" folks hanging around (even if they were no longer productive enough to sit at the big table).

Nobody spends this much time thinking about senior leadership folks (except CEOs maybe) of other tech companies...for this apple is special I guess. The only other VP level exec I track is the guy who's SOny's "VP of BluRay Superiority". With a stick.

GenesisST
Jun 28, 2012, 06:00 PM
I too will miss his presence during keynotes. Mr. Mansfield has his quirky charm that I enjoyed.

All the very best.

I never watch keynotes... have other things to do. But I got that from his picture. Sure looks like a fun guy!

tkermit
Jun 28, 2012, 06:02 PM
Wait, what? Why would he retire?

shanson27
Jun 28, 2012, 06:03 PM
that's a bad news :mad:

upthetoffees
Jun 28, 2012, 06:03 PM
This can only be positive for the next season of CYE, must have been tough to do both at once.

blow45
Jun 28, 2012, 06:04 PM
Have a happy retirement Mr. Mansfield, all the best, and thanks for all the great macs and i devices.

I hope his replacement is better than Bertrand Serlet's replacement for OS X Creg Federighi who s done such a poor job

cvaldes
Jun 28, 2012, 06:06 PM
Wait, what? Why would he retire?
Maybe he's fed up with the commute over Highway 17.

oiuh151
Jun 28, 2012, 06:07 PM
Good luck Bob.

http://youtu.be/RIUFvjGlVyk?t=1m31s

Stewie86
Jun 28, 2012, 06:09 PM
I'm going to miss seeing him in the new release videos of products. =\

Bevz
Jun 28, 2012, 06:10 PM
Could be health related. Can you imagine the stress of that position?

Stay 3 more and not see your grandchildren grow up, or leave now and help them on their way? Pretty simple to me. :apple:

I think you nailed it there... Like you said; the stress must be enormous! Seems to me this position has always had a pretty fast turnover of staff and that's probably partly down to the huge pressure the job must bring with it... Good luck to Bob; he seemed a nice fella on the videos; really hope he enjoys the money and retirement :)

Belmakor
Jun 28, 2012, 06:11 PM
Is he giving up millions of dollars by retiring right now? If so, why?

Rocketman

Maybe he's got enough already? Maybe there are things in life more important than accumulating more money?

petsounds
Jun 28, 2012, 06:12 PM

No, that's the dream of MBA's. People like Steve Jobs are in business because it fulfills them. It's their passion. That's why they make great products. Other people, whose main goal is getting rich, just make average products that are designed to make the most money.

I'm certainly not suggesting Mr. Mansfield is in the latter camp however. The stress that comes with making something great can wear someone down in a profound way. I certainly believe it contributed to Jobs' health. It, by most accounts, killed film director Krzysztof Kieslowski. So I certainly don't blame anyone for stepping out early.

sazivad
Jun 28, 2012, 06:16 PM
In before "end of Apple" decriers.

Seriously, though, I wish him well.

koruki
Jun 28, 2012, 06:16 PM
I think he's done a great job in the last decade, its sad to see the original dream team slowly fading away. I definitely don't think he is retiring from work for his stock payout. People like him aren't exactly starving, sure it would be nice to have a bunch of money in the bank, but if he's learned anything from Steve, all the extra money does nothing for you (in the book steve mentions people who went off and bought Rolls Royces and it did nothing for them).

He will likely go and start a new company because people like him would get restless easily. Best of luck to him.

Gregintosh
Jun 28, 2012, 06:19 PM
No, that's the dream of MBA's. People like Steve Jobs are in business because it fulfills them. It's their passion. That's why they make great products. Other people, whose main goal is getting rich, just make average products that are designed to make the most money.

Sure, passion is great but a passion doesn't necessarily have to be at work.

For example, design might be his passion, but maybe he wants to design some things in his spare time for himself not just computers for Apple. Or Maybe Bob likes butterflies and wants to spend some time looking at them. Who knows?

The point is that you can only do something for so long before you need to switch it up. And once you've made your money, you aren't motivated by that any more.

I wasn't implying that Bob was in it just for the money and had no passion for the work, I was just saying that once you've made so much (tens of millions of dollars) you look at things differently. You can be more selective with how you spend your time.

And passions are often fleeting. They can last for short bursts of time, perhaps even lifetimes in some cases, but its really a case by case thing. And if you don't have the energy anymore or you just want to enjoy other things for a while, then you walk away even from something you're passionate about.

Judging by the fact he graduated college in 1982, that would put him in his early 50's right now. Maybe he just wants to enjoy his family, traveling, and other things while he physically still can enjoy them instead of spending all his time at Apple HQ.

chrmjenkins
Jun 28, 2012, 06:20 PM
One correction -- iPad is not just a media consumption device. If you think that, then you either do not own one or you not using it to its full potential.

Incidentally, Mansfield got his BSEE degree in 1982 so that makes him roughly 52 years old (assuming he graduated from college at 22). I think retiring at 52 when you are a multi-multi-millionaire makes sense. For all we know, Bob would like to spend some time with his kids and grandkids or pursuing other talents he might have.

The bulk of people who own one use it for such. It is a tool for some, but they are not the majority.

Shrink
Jun 28, 2012, 06:24 PM
I'm so insanely jealous!!!:eek:

The young man looks like he's barely out of his 20's, and he has enough to retire 20 times over.

Well, more power to him. He has apparently done a wonderful job at Apple, and I'm sure he will find some way to continue his work...or just hang out!!

I'm so insanely jealous!!!:eek:

:rolleyes: :D

Frisco
Jun 28, 2012, 06:24 PM
Yeah but what is he doing for the unemployed people in this country? If he gave his money to the impoverished that would show some character.

sshambles
Jun 28, 2012, 06:27 PM
He will be missed in presentations. Quite a good presenter, well spoken and seemed dedicated to his role. Thanks Bob.

BoulderAdonis
Jun 28, 2012, 06:29 PM
Sad to see him go, I loved the videos where he'd talk about the new hardware advances in a product. Can't say I blame him for wanting to retire early though. If I had the money I'd quit my job today.

Which is why you'll never have the money. These people do what they do because they love it. Just happens to be in a domain that made them millions... It was never their idea to "just work my ass off till I get rich so I can quit."

If that were the case Bob, (Jobs, Jony, et. al.) could have "quit" a long time ago. They didn't come because they were told they were going to make millions. They came because they believed they could change the world. And when they did they were rewarded handsomely for it.

The Smyrk
Jun 28, 2012, 06:32 PM
Way to go Bob, my fellow UT alumnus!

mrfoof82
Jun 28, 2012, 06:35 PM
For those that aren't aware, Bob Mansfield personally hugs every iMac and Mac Pro that rolls off the production line.

This is clearly the end of an era.

manu chao
Jun 28, 2012, 06:37 PM

Was he ever live on stage during a keynote? Or only present in the promotional videos they showed?

thekev
Jun 28, 2012, 06:40 PM
hmmmmm.

I wasn't aware of that, but it does seem pretty odd.

pubwvj
Jun 28, 2012, 06:44 PM
And so begins the draining...

mdriftmeyer
Jun 28, 2012, 06:50 PM
Nice to see a Mechanical Engineering taking the seat. Steve would want that type of leader in the position.

eastercat
Jun 28, 2012, 07:00 PM
I'll have to agree with the above posters who said there's an underlying reason for his retirement at 50.
For all we know, he's been told that he needs to reduce his stress (and probably his weight) or suffer a heart attack.

Whatever the reason, I wish him the best.

Kaibelf
Jun 28, 2012, 07:03 PM
Good luck Bob.

What an insulting comment. Not only are you complaining when someone retires after a lifetime of hard work, but you question their judgment as they exit.

petsounds
Jun 28, 2012, 07:03 PM
The point is that you can only do something for so long before you need to switch it up. And once you've made your money, you aren't motivated by that any more.

That might be true, and I'm not reading into Mansfield's motives, nor did I assume you were. What I took issue with was your statement that the "dream in business is to get rich." I think that's a modern American dream furthered by certain business schools. Of course every business wants to make money, and make a good profit. But our modern business culture that chases the dollar and lets quarterly profits dictate business strategy is poison in the well of American capitalism.

Old school tech companies used to invest heavily in R&D. Their focus was making innovative products. Look back 50 years, and Xerox, Bell Labs, and Hewlett-Packard were changing the face of technology. Apple grew out of that culture, while it still existed, and fortunately still maintains it. But they are one of the last of a dying breed. Everything is about ROI now -- no research, just copy what everyone else is doing and churn out cheap ****. This is not just hardware, either -- this attitude is rampant in software. Facebook, Instagram, Zynga. These companies are focused on getting as rich as possible. Not on serving customers in the best way. Although business schools and venture capitalists really infected the tech industry, this started with Microsoft, and Bill Gates. A guy who retired early and rich beyond imagination. I don't say that to make a comparison to Mr. Mansfield, but I say that because Gates grew up in the same shadow of the old tech companies (though maybe not as hippie; he grew up in a privileged environment in Seattle) as Steve Jobs and made a choice to focus on money instead of great products.

I use that term 'customer' deliberately because modern companies don't use that term anymore. Everyone is a 'consumer'. The change in that word means a lot. When we were customers, companies existed to benefit us. When we are seen as consumers, we exist to benefit companies.

And I think all of that, it comes back to the original matter -- do you go into business to get rich, or to make great things that will help people? I believe the world is better off with people who do the latter.

you people smh
Jun 28, 2012, 07:05 PM

Yeah, Steve Jobs cared not about money. That's why Apple has by far the highest margins in the industry.....:rolleyes:

give me a break.

Peace
Jun 28, 2012, 07:06 PM
What an insulting comment. Not only are you complaining when someone retires after a lifetime of hard work, but you question their judgment as they exit.

First off. The FIRST thing I typed was "good luck Bob".

And secondly after not having any updates in almost a year ( TWO years for the Mac Pro ) for a lot of Apple products gives me a darn good reason to question the Path Apple is taking.

CFreymarc
Jun 28, 2012, 07:06 PM
Yeah, kind of scary. Bob Mansfield knew what was up on all courts.

This is the first of many "Steve's people" taking the parachute and leaving. Just a matter of time before the rest of the top crew gets their vestments in and leaves. I give Johnny a year or so before he is gone. At least he is enjoying the London Olympics on Apple's time as part of a european tour. Correction, Sir Johnny.

ChrisTX
Jun 28, 2012, 07:15 PM
All of my many Apple devices run buttery smooth because of the hardware he helped engineer. Godspeed to you Bob, and enjoy your retirement! :cool:

hobo.hopkins
Jun 28, 2012, 07:15 PM
That's really sad, he always seemed a nice guy. I can't feel too bad for him with those stock sales, though.

BornAgainApple
Jun 28, 2012, 07:20 PM
Enjoy retirement Bob! Now go buy a plane, hammock, lifetime supply of beer and oh yeah...an ISLAND :)

SeattleMoose
Jun 28, 2012, 07:22 PM
Bob, thank you for your great work at Apple!!!!

Wishing you a long and happy life!!!!:)

utahman130
Jun 28, 2012, 07:22 PM
Loved Bob in the keynote videos. Always made sure hardware got done the right way and recognized. Wish him a happy retirement!

Lahmy88
Jun 28, 2012, 07:27 PM
Damn he is gunna be missed!

blow45
Jun 28, 2012, 07:27 PM
First off. The FIRST thing I typed was "good luck Bob".

And secondly after not having any updates in almost a year ( TWO years for the Mac Pro ) for a lot of Apple products gives me a darn good reason to question the Path Apple is taking.

The cynic in me seeing such a core member of the team resign 3 years before 100 million more and at age 50, after an "upgrade" to the pro that brought no USB 3 or thundebolt and 2 year old hardware, as well as a new MacBook pro which is as upgradeable, or close, as an iPod would say something is very suspicious here. Let's not forget how well os x developed after Serlet left... These guys have ego (I mean it in a good way) and sometimes when you don't like the direction the company is headed you don't just put up with it, you leave.

petsounds
Jun 28, 2012, 07:30 PM
Yeah, Steve Jobs cared not about money. That's why Apple has by far the highest margins in the industry.....:rolleyes:

give me a break.

I don't deify Jobs; of course he cared about money. But those high margins are invested back into R&D.

MacFan23
Jun 28, 2012, 07:30 PM

give me a break.

Great people who's passion to create greatness motivates them over money create hugely successful companies like Apple and Google. Doesn't mean they can't also be good at business, or at least work with people who are.

unlinked
Jun 28, 2012, 07:36 PM
Is he giving up hundreds of millions of dollars by retiring right now? If so, why?

He is giving up money whenever he leaves. Assuming it is voluntary.

Rocketman
Jun 28, 2012, 07:40 PM
I solved the puzzle and updated my post.

greytmom
Jun 28, 2012, 07:47 PM
I DESIGN HARDWARE IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (apologies for all caps, but Chris Farley lived his life with the caps lock on....)

Best post of the day!

Negritude
Jun 28, 2012, 07:49 PM
The cynic in me seeing such a core member of the team resign 3 years before 100 million more and at age 50, after an "upgrade" to the pro that brought no USB 3 or thundebolt and 2 year old hardware, as well as a new MacBook pro which is as upgradeable, or close, as an iPod would say something is very suspicious here. Let's not forget how well os x developed after Serlet left... These guys have ego (I mean it in a good way) and sometimes when you don't like the direction the company is headed you don't just put up with it, you leave.

...Or get kicked out. Since he was in charge of the debacle that is the lack of updates to the Mac Pro, maybe this is a good sign. Maybe it means that Apple got fed up with his lack of initiative in regards to the traditional desktop, and is looking to put things back on track for some innovation in that area.

manu chao
Jun 28, 2012, 07:52 PM
This is the first of many "Steve's people" taking the parachute and leaving. Just a matter of time before the rest of the top crew gets their vestments in and leaves. I give Johnny a year or so before he is gone. At least he is enjoying the London Olympics on Apple's time as part of a european tour. Correction, Sir Johnny.
Let's go back a few years, to 2005 (?). This is a photo from Time Magazine showing from left: (1) Tony Fadell, head of hardware engineering, (2) John Rubinstein, head of iPod and the rest we all know still very well. The people on the right side, except Jobs, are still with Apple, the people on the left are not, in fact they left well before Jobs died.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/6522/jobsphoto6ap.jpg

jonnysods
Jun 28, 2012, 08:02 PM
I'm sure that they don't let you work less than 80-90 hours at Apple if you are that high up. I'm sure he is happy to get out while he has his health.

Good luck Bob.

zzLZHzz
Jun 28, 2012, 08:09 PM
The conclusion: If you don't like iOS inclusion in OS X, prepare to accept it or move on. I think we're going to start seeing some of it on the hardware level as well, maybe the inclusion of touch based hardware anyone?

touch based user interface will truly be more natural to human and if apple found a way to do it smart. they will do well.

in some sense design come before engineering in apple so john ive is still very much more important.

darkplanets
Jun 28, 2012, 08:12 PM
Change in corporate governance is inevitable. No one lives or works forever.

Let's hope the change is a positive one.

I'd hate to see Ive go, which will happen eventually.

Rmafive
Jun 28, 2012, 08:16 PM
People retire! It's not a sign of trouble at all that Mansfield is retiring.

OrangeSVTguy
Jun 28, 2012, 08:17 PM
hmmmmm.

Well he obviously has more than that. Whats wrong with living trying your life worry free? 100m vs 3 years of life? You can't buy back time.

Rogifan
Jun 28, 2012, 08:26 PM
hmmmmm.

Very interesting. Maybe he and Jony didn't get along. :p

----------

Riccio was formerly vice president of Mac hardware before becoming head of the iPad division.

He's well rounded.
Yes I believe he and Jony Ive oversaw the Mac division after Jon Rubinstein left. Or it might have been earlier. I think sometime in 2005 Rubinstein's title was changed from SVP hardware to SVP iPod division.

efktd
Jun 28, 2012, 08:36 PM
job well done! good for him. it's nice that apple's ideas and vision stays within the company over a long period of time and passed down to the next generation.

Rogifan
Jun 28, 2012, 08:38 PM
This is the first of many "Steve's people" taking the parachute and leaving. Just a matter of time before the rest of the top crew gets their vestments in and leaves. I give Johnny a year or so before he is gone. At least he is enjoying the London Olympics on Apple's time as part of a european tour. Correction, Sir Johnny.:confused:

MythicFrost
Jun 28, 2012, 08:44 PM
Aww... I always liked him. But at least he'll get a break from all that work now :p

the8thark
Jun 28, 2012, 08:54 PM

give me a break.

Jobs chose the high margin direction to differentiate Apple's self from every other low margin/high volume computer vendor out there. Not for his personal wealth. Sure he was happy being rich. But if he just wanted the cash he would have taken more then the $1 a year.

rei101
Jun 28, 2012, 08:56 PM
There goes a successful happy man... THANK YOU!

thewap
Jun 28, 2012, 09:02 PM
And on the day the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Obamacare as a tax ...

cdmoore74
Jun 28, 2012, 09:10 PM
He seen the Nexus 7 and decided to call it quits.

tom vilsack
Jun 28, 2012, 09:13 PM
Here's hoping he takes his billions and truly makes the world a better place.

marconiusrex
Jun 28, 2012, 09:16 PM
Hell....he won't be living off cat food! :rolleyes:

....unless it Fancy Feast!

Gregintosh
Jun 28, 2012, 09:18 PM
That might be true, and I'm not reading into Mansfield's motives, nor did I assume you were. What I took issue with was your statement that the "dream in business is to get rich." I think that's a modern American dream furthered by certain business schools. Of course every business wants to make money, and make a good profit. But our modern business culture that chases the dollar and lets quarterly profits dictate business strategy is poison in the well of American capitalism.

Old school tech companies used to invest heavily in R&D. Their focus was making innovative products. Look back 50 years, and Xerox, Bell Labs, and Hewlett-Packard were changing the face of technology. Apple grew out of that culture, while it still existed, and fortunately still maintains it. But they are one of the last of a dying breed. Everything is about ROI now -- no research, just copy what everyone else is doing and churn out cheap ****. This is not just hardware, either -- this attitude is rampant in software. Facebook, Instagram, Zynga. These companies are focused on getting as rich as possible. Not on serving customers in the best way. Although business schools and venture capitalists really infected the tech industry, this started with Microsoft, and Bill Gates. A guy who retired early and rich beyond imagination. I don't say that to make a comparison to Mr. Mansfield, but I say that because Gates grew up in the same shadow of the old tech companies (though maybe not as hippie; he grew up in a privileged environment in Seattle) as Steve Jobs and made a choice to focus on money instead of great products.

I use that term 'customer' deliberately because modern companies don't use that term anymore. Everyone is a 'consumer'. The change in that word means a lot. When we were customers, companies existed to benefit us. When we are seen as consumers, we exist to benefit companies.

And I think all of that, it comes back to the original matter -- do you go into business to get rich, or to make great things that will help people? I believe the world is better off with people who do the latter.

I see your point and agree to some degree. The people who really move things forward are the people who want to make the world a better place.

But the "sexy" innovators and high tech folks, or those who move things are a small minority. The others are still needed.

For example, its hard to get passionate about shoe laces or those little things that go on the ends of them but someone has to make it. Ditto for filler wood chips for playgrounds or furniture.

Those industries - and many like them - exist only because of the profit motive. Unfortunately, there is a lot of this unsexy work thats hard to get worked up over that needs to be done. So those people have a purpose too. :)

Personally, I got into business to get rich for myself and to have personal freedom, but I also like helping others and making a difference in people's lives.

marconiusrex
Jun 28, 2012, 09:26 PM
He seen the Nexus 7 and decided to call it quits.

Yup yessiree.... he done seen that their galaxiee nexus an got plum scared! Thanks for that Jethro! :D

foidulus
Jun 28, 2012, 09:28 PM

give me a break.

Steve wanted lots of money, but not for the reasons that most people do. He seemed to always be looking for "validation" of his genius, and money is pretty much the easiest way to prove to the world that "you are the greatest"

Back on topic, maybe Mansfield just wants to leave while he is on top. The retina Macbook Pro is probably the best notebook released since the dawn of the powerbook 20 years ago, and I am sure Mr. Mansfield probably poured his heart and soul into that. Since it will be quite hard to top, he figures it would be best if he just stepped aside with his legacy secure.

Rogifan
Jun 28, 2012, 09:34 PM

Billions? Hardly.

Ryth
Jun 28, 2012, 09:46 PM
Good luck Bob.

...kinda funny how businesses from large to small, corporate to government, local to global are adopting these iToys...I guess they are all toy companies...never knew we had so many Toy companies in the US/World and even in the federal government/federal contractors. I mean it's not like you can do actual work or run a business from these iOS, I mean iToy devices.

:rolleyes:

----------

give me a break.

Steve didn't care about the money. Did you see how he lived? Modestly.

He cared about making sure APPLE had enough money to never have what happened to it again with bad leadership when he was forced out. He also wanted APPLE to have enough money to pursue IT'S passions and goals and not have to 'borrow' and appease those if they had to borrow from someone.

----------

Back on topic, maybe Mansfield just wants to leave while he is on top. The retina Macbook Pro is probably the best notebook released since the dawn of the powerbook 20 years ago, and I am sure Mr. Mansfield probably poured his heart and soul into that. Since it will be quite hard to top, he figures it would be best if he just stepped aside with his legacy secure.

Maybe he knows the world is ending soon at the end of 2012 and wants to party.

thewap
Jun 28, 2012, 09:57 PM
...kinda funny how businesses from large to small, corporate to government, local to global are adopting these iToys...I guess they are all toy companies...never knew we had so many Toy companies in the US/World and even in the federal government/federal contractors. I mean it's not like you can do actual work or run a business from these iOS, I mean iToy devices.

----------

He cared about making sure APPLE had enough money to never have what happened to it again with bad leadership when he was forced out. He also wanted APPLE to have enough money to pursue IT'S passions and goals and not have to 'borrow' and appease those if they had to borrow from someone.

----------

Maybe he knows the world is ending soon at the end of 2012 and wants to party.

Maybe he knows what obamacare means- Right now, the maximum federal income tax rate on long-term capital gains and dividends is only 15%. Starting in 2013 with obamacare tax in force, the maximum rate on long-term gains is scheduled to go up to 20% and the maximum rate on dividends is scheduled to increase to 39.6% as the so-called Bush tax cuts expire.starting in 2013, all or part of the net investment income, including long-term capital gains and dividends, collected by higher-income folks can get socked with an additional 3.8% "Medicare contribution tax." Therefore, the maximum federal rate on long-term gains for 2013 and beyond will actually be 23.8% (versus the current 15%) and the maximum rate on dividends will be a whopping 43.4% (versus the current 15%). Yikes!

Meaning I don't blame him for cashing out now.. do the math..
Oh it also means the biggest tax hike in American history, on Americans and businesses, and mandated healthcare with penalties if you don't have healthcare... $700 plus to $15,000 in fines....

ThunderSkunk
Jun 28, 2012, 10:07 PM
I'll miss his appearances on the keynotes, but good for him! Hell of a career.

But man, some of these comments. Do you guys really think he & Apple haven't prepared a suitable replacement & transition strategy? For the head of engineering?

----------

Huh. Downvoted 4 times. Go figure.

ghettochris
Jun 28, 2012, 10:10 PM

I'm guessing it has nothing to do with being on top, or his legacy, he gave 13 years of his life to apple, made more millions than he can spend before he dies, so he just wants to do other things before he gets too old.

If i was in his position i'd want to go do crazy stuff all over the world but would want to give key strategic input and go to all the secret meetings and stay in the loop of apple's secret stuff.

You think people at apple will show or tell him what's being worked on or does he now get to find out about it on macrumors or keynotes like the rest of us?

cvaldes
Jun 28, 2012, 10:12 PM
And on the day the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Obamacare as a tax ...
What does today's Supreme Court ruling have to do with an individual's employment status?

What if you quit today? Or your next door neighbor? What would those events have anything to do with today's SCOTUS ruling?

Stop bringing partisan politics into matters that have NOTHING to with it. After all, how do you think this ruling will affect Mansfield's cash flow (which is in the millions of dollars)?

This is one of the most pathetically asinine things I've ever read here at MacRumors. Ten times worse than any rumor from Digitimes, as a matter of fact.

Amateurs.

thewap
Jun 28, 2012, 10:19 PM
What does today's Supreme Court ruling have to do with an individual's employment status?

What if you quit today? Or your next door neighbor? What would those events have anything to do with today's SCOTUS ruling?

Stop bringing partisan politics into matters that have NOTHING to with it.

Amateurs.

Actually it does. The court ruled that it is constitutional to impose tax but not to force healthcare. So that means that all Americans will be taxed based on their status of income and status of having healthcare or not...and penalized if you don't...Oh Im a democrat btw... what it meant to be a democrat at least....

PS : it was just an observation why the man quit pulled out his money and retired...IMO
It also means not getting taxed at 43% of your dividends and long term investments i.e.; the 70,000000 he is retiring with...if you didnt get my drift.. try calculating those taxes on $170 million if he stayed 3 more years...almost equates to him quitting now.

cvam1985
Jun 28, 2012, 10:25 PM
Gosh 70 mil. No doubt he will enjoy every day. He seems like a great guy - good for him.

charlituna
Jun 28, 2012, 10:39 PM
With rumors of an iPhone redesign coming this fall, it's possible that Mansfield wanted to stay with Apple through the introduction of that product.

More, since he is SVP of more than just the iPad division he is there to oversee the transition to the new SVP up through the iPhone/ipod launch.

bretm
Jun 28, 2012, 10:39 PM

give me a break.

He worked at Apple for free for 3 years while at the same time running Pixar. Sure he wanted his company back, but it was all about legacy.

Do your research. The guy didn't care about money. Sure he had a nice car, fairly nice home, and enjoyed travel and finer points in life, but he was a billionaire living like a millionaire.

Some of the people he hung out with we're referred to by his kids as their dads "rich" friends.

charlituna
Jun 28, 2012, 10:42 PM
hmmmmm.

That something being that you think that money is everything.

bretm
Jun 28, 2012, 10:42 PM
Actually it does. The court ruled that it is constitutional to impose tax but not to force healthcare. So that means that all Americans will be taxed based on their status of income and status of having healthcare or not...and penalized if you don't...Oh Im a democrat btw... what it meant to be a democrat at least....

PS : it was just an observation why the man quit pulled out his money and retired...IMO
It also means not getting taxed at 43% of your dividends and long term investments i.e.; the 70,000000 he is retiring with...if you didnt get my drift.. try calculating those taxes on $170 million if he stayed 3 more years...almost equates to him quitting now.

He sold a buttload of stock when it hit 650. He had a plan for awhile. He knows theres no MacPro coming. Getting out now.

thewap
Jun 28, 2012, 10:47 PM
He sold a buttload of stock when it hit 650. He had a plan for awhile. He knows theres no MacPro coming. Getting out now.

yup, and I think that many stock holders/investors are going to do the same..

charlituna
Jun 28, 2012, 10:51 PM
I think he's done a great job in the last decade, its sad to see the original dream team slowly fading away.

I'm not. Too much of the same old same old can be bad for a business. They stagnant in the mire of thinking the same ways and thinking that the same ideas are brilliant. Even Jobs understood this when he told Cook and company to never ask what he would do. They know what Apple's core values and ideals are. That's enough. After that the answer should never be 'how would Steve handle this'. They are smart and well trained and they were picked because they can make a good decision, a right decision. So Steve gave them permission to make it.

Maybe if Microsoft got an infusion of some fresh talent they might not seem like they are still in the 80s. and by that I mean the 1880s

----------

The bulk of people who own one use it for such. It is a tool for some, but they are not the majority.

so how long did it take you to talk to every single iPad owner in the world to come up with that fact.

yeah, thought so. Did you borrow the hat you are talking out of from Brian White, Gene Munster or Shaw Wu.

----------

Nice to see a Mechanical Engineering taking the seat. Steve would want that type of leader in the position.

Not only is it not Steve's Apple anymore, he's dead. So what he would want doesn't matter in the slightest.

----------

give me a break.

Apple's high margins had nothing to do with Steve's feelings about money. That was about the shareholders' feelings.

akm3
Jun 28, 2012, 10:52 PM
For those that aren't aware, Bob Mansfield personally hugs every iMac and Mac Pro that rolls off the production line.

This is clearly the end of an era.

Ohh that's why he's leaving then, that job was eliminated.

wordoflife
Jun 28, 2012, 11:18 PM
Good for him. That's more than what you need to live, I'm sure he'll be fine without an extra $50-$100 million. Apple will be fine too.

Steve would want that type of leader in the position.

I don't understand these comments. How would WE know what Steve jobs would have wanted? Did you know him in person or something?

Slivortal
Jun 28, 2012, 11:49 PM
I'm kind of sad (and worried) to see him go. As a programmer, I have enjoyed Apple's professional-standard line of Macs and OSX, and constantly fear them and their operating system going the way of their mobile devices and iOS. The fact that he's being replaced by an iPad developer (seems like a possible line consolidation - not beyond Apple) is even more worrisome.

Kind of makes my decision on whether or not to buy a new MacBook this summer easier, though.

MacDav
Jun 29, 2012, 12:37 AM
How old is he? He looks very young. Goes to say he will have a nice retirement....

When you have Millions and Millions ($70,000,000) retirement age is whenever
you want. This could be a problem since all of Apples upper executives are
multimillionaires. The alarm goes off in the morning and you just say F... it, I think I'll retire and live in paradise for the rest of my life. But maybe thats just me. Cause they are all dedicated to Apple for the rest of their lives, no matter how old or rich they get...;)

timbom3
Jun 29, 2012, 01:06 AM
I'm kind of sad (and worried) to see him go. As a programmer, I have enjoyed Apple's professional-standard line of Macs and OSX, and constantly fear them and their operating system going the way of their mobile devices and iOS. The fact that he's being replaced by an iPad developer (seems like a possible line consolidation - not beyond Apple) is even more worrisome.

Kind of makes my decision on whether or not to buy a new MacBook this summer easier, though.

He's only been iPad head since 2010. I personally don't know his background, but Riccio may be a great engineer and do wonders for mac? I'm interested to know who is replacing him in the land of iPad.....

lmddawson
Jun 29, 2012, 02:10 AM
Guessing this confirms the iPhone unveiling before October 19th? :D

MacFather
Jun 29, 2012, 02:49 AM
Cook without charisma doesn't know how to motivate others, this is the result.

macnerd77
Jun 29, 2012, 03:15 AM

All the very best.

I too will miss his quirky charm.

Good luck Bob.

driceman
Jun 29, 2012, 03:27 AM

Cook doesn't have charisma? Have you seen the keynotes? The dude is obsessed with his job! I don't think they could've found a better guy to take the reins with Steve gone.

For that matter, he's also GOOD at his job. Apple's numbers are still going up, and under him they released a $2200 computer that's backed up for 3-4 weeks in shipping on Apple's online store. Sure they don't have many in supply yet, but seriously, it's $2200 people are EXCITED to spend.

On subject, Mansfield has done some incredible engineering at Apple and the retirement is well-deserved. I don't think there's a good or bad sign here. It seems to me that a guy who wasn't obsessed with cash retired to be with his family or for his health or, well, whatever reason he pleases, really. It's not unreasonable to retire in your 50's when your job was incredibly high-stress, as working at Apple doubtlessly is, and you have plenty of money anyway. The fact that he's aiding in the transition and not just instantly bailing implies that he wasn't kicked out or something.

As someone else has mentioned, Riccio has done work on Macs as well as iPads. Sounds to me like he's well-rounded, and I can't imagine you could get that high up in Apple without knowing what you're doing anyway.

wickoo
Jun 29, 2012, 04:11 AM

All the very best.
I thought he only appeared in the videos rather than on stage? ;)

iDev4Mac
Jun 29, 2012, 04:15 AM
He has done his job very well. Hopefully Apple can find as good as/better so that Macs can keep doing what they currently do in hardware.

E: Oh, they have found it already... Hopefully this Dan Riccio is as good as/better than Bob Mansfield ;)

MacFather
Jun 29, 2012, 04:19 AM
Inside his lab

1:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Och9ZCqCjGA

tennisproha
Jun 29, 2012, 04:27 AM
Did we ever figure out how old he is? By one posters logic, if you go according to when if graduated from college, he is 52. Someone else mentioned 50. Do we have a factual number?

I'm kinda thinking 52 could be right.

Bezetos
Jun 29, 2012, 04:41 AM
All the best Bob, hopefully people will notice it's not all about Steve Jobs who gets all the credit

----------

"Steve would want that type of leader in the position."

I don't understand these comments. How would WE know what Steve jobs would have wanted? Did you know him in person or something?
These comments sound like "What would Jesus do"...

applegigs
Jun 29, 2012, 04:58 AM

I bet Steve would of said something like that. :) Although we all know how much he loved his family so it's 50/50 ~ :rolleyes::apple:

Mal67
Jun 29, 2012, 05:18 AM
And heres an old Apple macbook vid with John Ives; Bob Mansfield and his replacement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RKo44GsGow

superduperdom
Jun 29, 2012, 06:16 AM
lazy b*****d, jealous moi ?

Winni
Jun 29, 2012, 07:00 AM

That comment is so cynical, it could have come from me.

----------

Cook doesn't have charisma? Have you seen the keynotes? The dude is obsessed with his job!

Having charisma and being obsessed with a job are very different things and one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

----------

I thought he only appeared in the videos rather than on stage? ;)

Sir Johnny also only appears in videos and was never seen on stage, and yet, strangely enough, everybody here seems to worship him nonetheless.

----------

Owning a real estate that's worth several millions and using a private jet to pretend that you moved to a different state just to be able to buy human transplant organs is not necessarily my definition of "living modestly". I would have done the same in Jobs' situation, but I wouldn't have any romantic and idolized views about it.

kemal
Jun 29, 2012, 07:15 AM
Will he receive the standard Apple Engineering retirement gift: A bottle of adhesive and a roll of kapton tape?

Maybe I'm just alone on this one. I would rather see engineering with a mind to repairability even if the product ends up 0.3284mm thicker.

Gunny011
Jun 29, 2012, 07:16 AM
Sir Johnny also only appears in videos and was never seen on stage, and yet, strangely enough, everybody here seems to worship him nonetheless.

Ive did actually appear on stage and gave a presentation at the October special event in 2008.

Rogifan
Jun 29, 2012, 07:22 AM
Sir Johnny also only appears in videos and was never seen on stage, and yet, strangely enough, everybody here seems to worship him nonetheless.Jony was on stage once, when Apple unveiled the unibody MacBooks. And briefly during WWDC 2010 when Steve was demoing FaceTime.

----------

Will he receive the standard Apple Engineering retirement gift: A bottle of adhesive and a roll of kapton tape?

Maybe I'm just alone on this one. I would rather see engineering with a mind to repairability even if the product ends up 0.3284mm thicker.Is there something in the rMBP that Apple cannot repair?

darkplanets
Jun 29, 2012, 07:35 AM
Sir Johnny also only appears in videos and was never seen on stage, and yet, strangely enough, everybody here seems to worship him nonetheless.[COLOR="#808080"]

I think that's a product of his universally accepted talent. The guy is a master designer, and as far as I'm aware, others in the industry have accepted that. I would say as a brand, he's one of Apple's most important figures -- without the "sleek and trendy" designs (aka minimalist), Apple would lose most of their competitive edge -- the aluminum look and feel has more or less been branded as an integral part of Apple computers (and devices). Everyone knows the innards are the same, if not worse, than many PC counterparts, and OSX is more or less on par with W7 (W8 is still out on review).

Asclepio
Jun 29, 2012, 07:36 AM
rip macs.

MartyF81
Jun 29, 2012, 08:13 AM
For those questioning why he would walk away from the restricted stock options.

The options are always giving with future execution dates to keep you working for the company. Which means he will perpetually have options that are future dated. If he waited 3 years to execute them in 2015, by then he would have more restricted options that he could not execute until 2018.

Its a hamster wheel, you have to jump off at some point or you are always chasing that carrot.

BaldiMac
Jun 29, 2012, 08:27 AM
Owning a real estate that's worth several millions and using a private jet to pretend that you moved to a different state just to be able to buy human transplant organs is not necessarily my definition of "living modestly". I would have done the same in Jobs' situation, but I wouldn't have any romantic and idolized views about it.

Is it really so hard to find things about Apple to criticize that you have to make up misinformation about their former CEO who passed away almost a year ago? How tasteless.

ponytrekker
Jun 29, 2012, 09:08 AM
Maybe now he goes back to making funny movies like Tommy Boy?

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/NewImage33.png

http://mimg.ugo.com/201003/40453/cuts/tommyboy-1_288x288.jpg

DarrenSW
Jun 29, 2012, 09:32 AM
It has always struck me that a lot of the credit that goes to Ive and his team is at least if not more so due to Bob: he is given a succession of ever-thinner, ever-smaller, more thermally challenging designs, often requiring him to use new and untried materials, and is asked to make them reality. That's some stress.

Good luck, Bob. You've done a great job and deserve your retirement.

vampyr
Jun 29, 2012, 10:12 AM
wow... sold off more than $70 Million in stock?!?!

I'd say he's been planning this retirement for some time. :D

Good for him... and being able to cash out on the stock options is exactly how executives at publicly traded companies should be compensated for their efforts.

His reality is 99% of everyone else's dream. To retire early with millions!!!

sseaton1971
Jun 29, 2012, 10:56 AM
There could be all sorts of reasons for Mansfield leaving now. Perhaps it has something to do with getting certain products out in a timely manner (Mac Pro, iMac, etc.), or maybe it is just because he is ready to enjoy life with more money than he will ever be able to spend.

As for the worry about his replacement... Riccio, as reported in the article, has been with the company longer than Mansfield and only started heading up the iPad division in 2010. The report also stated that he has been involved in pretty much all hardware during his tenure. Considering that, I am not worried about Riccio turning new Mac Pros into Super iPads! lol

----------

And heres an old Apple macbook vid with John Ives; Bob Mansfield and his replacement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RKo44GsGow

Thanks for the link. Riccio sure seems like a solid hardware engineer to me. No worries, folks!

heisetax
Jun 29, 2012, 10:57 AM
Good luck Bob.

Apple has completed the transition to an iToy company. The killing of the 17" MacBook Pro means only small screens for the Pro. The Mac Pro is still being sold, but it is now 2 years old with really no changes, price included. The Mac Mini while it could be a Semi-Pro model, has always been restricted to having the speed of the MacBook Air or slower. The current so called retina display 15" MacBook Pro has been assembled like an iToy. The only thing is that it costs 3-5 times as much. So now even what is left to be called a Mac is really just a very expensive iToy.

I have my share of the iToys, but they are still iToys. I have my Macs to do the work so that I can pay for those iToys.

Because the competition has little to offer, Apple figures that it has little to worry about in the Mac arena. So they just spend their engineering dollars on the much more lucrative iToy market.

sseaton1971
Jun 29, 2012, 11:03 AM
Apple has completed the transition to an iToy company. The killing of the 17" MacBook Pro means only small screens for the Pro. The Mac Pro is still being sold, but it is now 2 years old with really no changes, price included. The Mac Mini while it could be a Semi-Pro model, has always been restricted to having the speed of the MacBook Air or slower. The current so called retina display 15" MacBook Pro has been assembled like an iToy. The only thing is that it costs 3-5 times as much. So now even what is left to be called a Mac is really just a very expensive iToy.

I have my share of the iToys, but they are still iToys. I have my Macs to do the work so that I can pay for those iToys.

Because the competition has little to offer, Apple figures that it has little to worry about in the Mac arena. So they just spend their engineering dollars on the much more lucrative iToy market.

Yeah... the Retina MacBook Pro is sure an iToy! Give me a break! By the way, what do you mean that it is assembled like an iToy? Also, why do you think iPhones and iPads are iToys? Sure, they aren't "computers" in the traditional sense, but they aren't Fischer-Price either. I certainly don't consider them to be toys that will replace my Macs, and it seems Apple doesn't either.

Apple screwed up with the "pros" (FinalCut Pro X, Mac Pro delays), but it seems like they are trying to right the ship. Perhaps this is because Steve Jobs is gone, and Tim Cook is now in control, or maybe it is because Apple is listening to users now... I don't know. I do feel more confident that Apple is committed to the Mac more so now than I did a year or two ago.

kylepro88
Jun 29, 2012, 11:24 AM
Dude if I had that kind of money I would "retire" to exploring different business opportunities, investing in new products and upcoming entrepreneurial efforts, do some creative things, etc. It's the need to pay the mortgage that keeps a lot of people from pursuing things they could probably excel at, so having enough to pay for what you need means you have more time to go after what you want...and I don't just mean 30 years sitting around.

I'm only 24 and already working towards that kind of freedom...takes time :)

Sackvillenb
Jun 29, 2012, 11:26 AM
Now this could be significant. I'm not worried that his successor was working on the iPad so much, but I hope his vision for the future is a good one... I guess time will tell...

----------

Maybe now he goes back to making funny movies like Tommy Boy?

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/NewImage33.png)

Image (http://mimg.ugo.com/201003/40453/cuts/tommyboy-1_288x288.jpg)

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who thought of that resemblance!!

Tonewheel
Jun 29, 2012, 12:02 PM
New career for him. He's focusing on motivational speaking.

Konrad
Jun 29, 2012, 12:35 PM
Most are obsessed with other people money. Most of the comments are straight out of a tabloid. Who cares how much he has. Look at him! Without wanting to be to offensive, he will most likely not live much longer with whatever crap lifestyle he so far subscribed to. As for yachts, $70M will not get you very far today. I rather be me.

Eduardo R.
Jun 29, 2012, 04:09 PM
Well, good for Bob - I wish him the best of luck - but this isn't exactly good news for Apple.

No, I'm not a doomsayer - I think Apple will be just fine without him and I'm sure his replacement is capable as well, but it's still sad to see an oldie go.

Schizoid
Jun 29, 2012, 05:42 PM
I'll miss that loveable tyrant... especially on those trips to China where he shouts at everyone...

...can't wait for Dan though, he's got great shredded-wheat hair to stare at!

Supa_Fly
Jun 29, 2012, 05:58 PM
New career for him. He's focusing on motivational speaking.

Bob you've done an incredible job of leadership and internal design expertise. Your hard work has helped forge and create Apple's TOP products ever, actually the INDUSTRY's top products. A tough act to follow in the footsteps of a tough gent.

Enjoy your retirement.

Honestly I had wondered if Hollywood would entertain him in snarky comedy as well ... he just has the presence for it (at least to start off). I more have thought of him like

John Goodman
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTExOTQ0NTA3OTJeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDE2MTk4NzU@._V1._SY314_CR3,0,214,314_.jpg

Rogifan
Jun 29, 2012, 06:29 PM
I'm sorry but anyone using terms like "iToys" doesn't deserve to be taken seriously.

gnasher729
Jun 30, 2012, 10:36 AM
There could be all sorts of reasons for Mansfield leaving now. Perhaps it has something to do with getting certain products out in a timely manner (Mac Pro, iMac, etc.), or maybe it is just because he is ready to enjoy life with more money than he will ever be able to spend.

There is always the possibility that his doctor told him "Bob, you better take it a lot, lot easier or you won't reach retirement age". And Bob Mansfield asked "what about the stock options that vest in 2013"? And the doctor said "You can live without them".

or sometimes the company asks you to leave...

If you have $40 million worth of stock options vesting in a years time, you don't just jump when the company asks you to leave.

olowott
Jun 30, 2012, 04:05 PM
We will Miss you mate!!

vmachiel
Jun 30, 2012, 04:27 PM
Aah damn, he was my favorite since bertrand serlet left

BC2009
Jul 1, 2012, 02:32 AM

Source? Most folks I know use the iPad for note taking at a bare minimum. Drafting email is also "creation" and not consumption. If you talk to most lawyers I think you will find your statement is also untrue. Further, marking up PDFs is also not just consumption. That said, I think you may be right but without any sort of survey to point to as a source you could easily be wrong. Your guess that is based on your personal observations is stated as fact even though it is just your opinion. In fact I could say the very same thing about most PCs. Many folks use their PCs for nothing more than surfing the Web, reading email and browsing the photos that their grandkids emailed them from their smartphones. It hardly means the PC is primarily a content consumption device - it just means it is what you make of it. The Kindle Fire is far more limited because of its size, limited processing power and limited available software. iPad gives you far more options than other tablets and it is primarily because IOC great third-party software, decent hardware and screen real estate.

mark28
Jul 1, 2012, 02:41 AM
With $70 million in the bank and Apple loosing huge market share to Android, it's a good time to retire and end it on a high.

----------

wow... sold off more than $70 Million in stock?!?!

I'd say he's been planning this retirement for some time. :D

Good for him... and being able to cash out on the stock options is exactly how executives at publicly traded companies should be compensated for their efforts.

His reality is 99% of everyone else's dream. To retire early with millions!!!

I highly doubt guys like Steve Jobs were working for money. Tim Took earned 300+ million in bonus this year, yet he doesn't retire. Bill Gates is also still working at Microsoft but not as a CEO anymore.

koruki
Jul 2, 2012, 05:23 PM
With $70 million in the bank and Apple loosing huge market share to Android, it's a good time to retire and end it on a high.

----------

I highly doubt guys like Steve Jobs were working for money. Tim Took earned 300+ million in bonus this year, yet he doesn't retire. Bill Gates is also still working at Microsoft but not as a CEO anymore.

market share that android doesnt make money on. they been losing market share for years and posting record breaking profits every year. :rolleyes:

stu.h
Jul 3, 2012, 03:05 PM
Did we ever figure out how old he is? By one posters logic, if you go according to when if graduated from college, he is 52. Someone else mentioned 50. Do we have a factual number?

I'm kinda thinking 52 could be right.

Do you really, really, care if he was 40 or 90?

tennisproha
Jul 3, 2012, 08:23 PM
Do you really, really, care if he was 40 or 90?

Actually, yes. It does make a difference.:cool:

driceman
Jul 11, 2012, 04:47 AM
Having charisma and being obsessed with a job are very different things and one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

But in this case, his charisma essentially comes from his obsession. These are semantics anyway, though. ;)

CFreymarc
Jul 13, 2012, 09:59 PM
I'm sure that they don't let you work less than 80-90 hours at Apple if you are that high up. I'm sure he is happy to get out while he has his health.

Good luck Bob.

This is why I turned Steve down. I don't want to go out via Karōshi.

sonovale
Jul 17, 2012, 03:58 AM
Bob is really done a great job and I am wishing him best.Thanks:)