PDA

View Full Version : Getting REALLY frustrated with my mac freezing

macmee
Jun 28, 2012, 08:06 PM
Okay so OS X rarely freezes on me but when it does it's like all hell breaks loose.

Sometimes I'm in a fullscreen app and the app freezes, everything else on my mac still works, my iTunes plays and teamspeak is still working but *just* the full screen app freezes. If I command option escape nothing happens, and if I command tab nothing happens. On Windows even if the active window is frozen you can still ctrl alt del, but on my Mac it seems like if something's frozen there is *absolutely nothing* I know about as to how to just close the frozen app without having to completely power button my iMac.

And then when I do have to power button my iMac for whatever reason, upon it turning back on all my apps reopen. I know you can disable this when you choose the shutdown option from the apple logo, but when you power button the mac it automatically reopens all apps. Is there any way to just completely disable this feature? Every time it happens my entire machine is just raped with applications opening :(

Intell
Jun 28, 2012, 08:08 PM
What Mac do you have?

macmee
Jun 28, 2012, 08:14 PM
What Mac do you have?

27" iMac MacBook pro and a g4 but my problems that command option escape and command tab only work when the active window isn't frozen, which means when any full screen app freezes on me I have to power button. It's been that way for me for years but it's just really frustrating because power buttoning just because one application is frozen when everything else is still running fine drives me crazy!

astrorider
Jun 28, 2012, 08:32 PM
I've been using Macs a long time and I don't recall cmd-opt-esc not working, so my guess is there's something unique to your setups that's the issue.

If you're comfortable with Terminal commands, you might try enabling Remote Login on each machine for your user only (Sharing prefs), SSH into the frozen machine from one of your other machines (ssh username@computername), use Top to see if a process is running amok (top-u), and kill either the process running amok or the frontmost app that seems stuck (sudo killall processName).

macmee
Jun 28, 2012, 09:47 PM
I've been using Macs a long time and I don't recall cmd-opt-esc not working, so my guess is there's something unique to your setups that's the issue.

If you're comfortable with Terminal commands, you might try enabling Remote Login on each machine for your user only (Sharing prefs), SSH into the frozen machine from one of your other machines (ssh username@computername), use Top to see if a process is running amok (top-u), and kill either the process running amok or the frontmost app that seems stuck (sudo killall processName).

That is an awesome solution, I am so doing that and installing an ssh app on the iPad :D

astrorider
Jun 28, 2012, 09:53 PM
Hopefully it gives you an idea of what's causing the problem in the first place; it's kind of a cumbersome workaround to cmd-opt-esc not working :)

harrisonw1998
Jun 29, 2012, 10:25 PM
Reinstall OSX, I had similar issues and that fixed everything!