PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome Causing Freezing and Crashing on New Mac Notebooks

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 28, 2012, 11:25 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/29/google-chrome-causing-freezing-and-crashing-on-new-mac-notebooks/)

Over the past several days, Gizmodo has been highlighting freezing and crashing issues on several of its staff's new MacBook Air models, linking the problems to Google Chrome. Switching to Apple's Safari browser eliminated all of the issues, and thus the site recommended that owners of the new machines avoid Chrome for the time being.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/macbook_air_google_chrome.jpg

Google has now issued a statement (http://gizmodo.com/5922235/we-were-right-google-confirms-chrome-is-to-blame-for-crashing-macbooks) to Gizmodo acknowledging that Chrome is the culprit and discussing the steps it is taking to address the issue. While Google has disabled some of Chrome's GPU acceleration on an emergency basis as it seeks to deploy a permanent solution, the company has also filed a bug report with Apple as such issues should not be able to cause an entire system to freeze or crash."We have identified a leak of graphics resources in the Chrome browser related to the drawing of plugins on Mac OS X. Work is proceeding to find and fix the root cause of the leak.

The resource leak is causing a kernel panic on Mac hardware containing the Intel HD 4000 graphics chip (e.g. the new Macbook Airs). Radar bug number 11762608 has been filed with Apple regarding the kernel panics, since it should not be possible for an application to trigger such behavior.

While the root cause of the leak is being fixed, we are temporarily disabling some of Chrome's GPU acceleration features on the affected hardware via an auto-updated release that went out this afternoon (Thursday June 28). We anticipate further fixes in the coming days which will re-enable many or all of these features on this hardware."With the issue affecting all systems using Intel HD 4000 graphics, all of Apple's notebook models released earlier this month are susceptible and owners of the new MacBook Pro models are indeed also reporting the issue (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4042029).

First launched in September 2008 (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/01/google-to-launch-webkit-based-web-browser-called-chrome/), Chrome has steadily gained in overall popularity among desktop Internet browsers and is currently running neck-and-neck with Firefox (http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=0&qpcustomd=0) for the second position behind Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

Article Link: Google Chrome Causing Freezing and Crashing on New Mac Notebooks (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/29/google-chrome-causing-freezing-and-crashing-on-new-mac-notebooks/)

IMPOSSIBLEMAN
Jun 28, 2012, 11:28 PM
LOL

Listen Apple, you gotta make it available to set chrome as a default browser in ios because I ain't comin' back to safari what so ever.

wordoflife
Jun 28, 2012, 11:29 PM
am i the only one who uses chrome?

ghsNick
Google Chrome sucks...still waiting on gestures to be updated since Lion came out. Would be a great browser if I could take advantage of hand gestures while I'm using it.

I'll stick to Safari until it's updates (if that ever happens) :rolleyes:

slffl
I can't stand Chrome! I've been using it on my work PC for a while now, and it's ALWAYS locking up and crashing, and most of the time it's while browsing Google! Especially their RSS reader. It's horrible and I'm amazed so many people think it's so great.

DaMike8
Jun 28, 2012, 11:30 PM
GG.

And that's why, you don't use Google software. ;);)

digitalhen
...the company has also filed a bug report with Apple as such issues should not be able to cause an entire system to freeze or crash.

This really is the key part of the article. There's no way that this should be happening in the first place.

Toeknee
I have a 2008 Unibody Macbook and mine KPs when using Chrome. Again, switching to any other browser fixes it. Shame too because I like Chrome. :(

AustinIllini
Listen Apple, you gotta make it available to set chrome as a default browser in ios because I ain't comin' back to safari what so ever.

What does this comment have to do with mac notebooks?

Jayse
Jun 28, 2012, 11:31 PM
Firefox represent!

slffl
LOL

Really? Why? Because from here Safari destroys everything about Chrome for iOS. It's not even in my top 3 iOS web browsers (Safari, Dolphin, iCabMobile)

adder7712
Google Chrome sucks...still waiting on gestures to be updated since Lion came out. Would be a great browser if I could take advantage of hand gestures while I'm using it.

I'll stick to Safari until it's updates (if that ever happens) :rolleyes: The only gesture I use is the two finger swipe, which is supported by Chrome (along with cool eye candy) and Firefox.

I don't think this warrants a news article, all programs have their own glitches. And, if your Mac has something other than the Intel HD 4000, don't fret, keep using Chrome.

wordoflife
Firefox represent!

I really liked Firefox up until version 3.

dwsolberg
Jun 28, 2012, 11:32 PM
Having Google Chrome open gobbles up battery power because of the way it enables GPU acceleration, causing the dedicated graphics to fire up.

Ironically, this update to Chrome is probably a good one for all users with a MacBook Pro because it will likely increase battery life.

JonD
Jun 28, 2012, 11:33 PM
Hey, a radar number. Nice.

tech4all

Nope Chrome user here. Far better than Safari and Firefox. Never crashes or freezes on me. Go figure :rolleyes:

lol at Google-haters on here. I think sometimes Apple fanboys hate Google more than M$.

Big-TDI-Guy
All your kernel are belong to Google!

sparkie7
why can't someone make an awesome browser :confused:

Firefox sucks
Chrome is weird
and Safari is just average :rolleyes:

ccmovies
Jun 28, 2012, 11:35 PM
I also was getting kernel panics from the start. I created a discussions forum which recently has exploded: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4028778?tstart=0

adder7712
Jun 28, 2012, 11:35 PM

Firefox sucks
Chrome is weird
and Safari is just average :rolleyes: With every vendor claiming their browser is "awesome". I'm at a loss too.

wizard
Jun 28, 2012, 11:36 PM

It is Safari all the way for me.

valkata
Jun 28, 2012, 11:37 PM
The worst and the most funny thing is that user space application manages to crash whole "most advanced desktop operating system"... OSX is not so stable after all, Linux and windows do better...

Gib
Jun 28, 2012, 11:41 PM
No joke, the ad featured right under this article has the Google chrome logo (at almost directly in line with the icon in article pic) and says to download Chrome today...

Awesome.

wizard
Jun 28, 2012, 11:43 PM
Nope Chrome user here. Far better than Safari and Firefox. Never crashes or freezes on me. Go figure :rolleyes:

lol at Google-haters on here. I think sometimes Apple fanboys hate Google more than M$.

Chrome is just not all it is cracked up to be. I may hate somethings Apple does but that doesn't mean I hate Apple.

kockgunner
Jun 28, 2012, 11:43 PM

Firefox sucks
Chrome is weird

I agree. I made a post way back about the lack of good browsers for OS X and people thought I was trolling.

Safari is OK, but it has memory issues and makes my computer beachball a lot.

Chrome is usable, but there are constant problems with flash like videos either being black or not appearing or being able to see my desktop background where a video should be. Flash always crashes in Chrome too.

Opera just feels weird mainly because scrolling is choppy.

Firefox is just slow and scrolling is choppy as well and no proper support for gestures. Swiping with two fingers to navigate back and forward is too sensitive and I often overshoot and go back a few pages.

During the little time I use Chrome and Firefox on Windows, everything seems fine.

wizard
Jun 28, 2012, 11:48 PM
With every vendor claiming their browser is "awesome". I'm at a loss too.

However most of the Broswers fall on their faces these days due to user interaction problems. In that regard Safari seems to be the least borked of them all. I once was a huge Firfox user but that has turned from a leader to a cluster f* of features and crap I don't need.

At least with Safari Apple focuses core functionality a little more than average.

pwhitehead
Jun 28, 2012, 11:50 PM
Face it guys; apple hates google, even more then they adobe! Dont expect google products not to have bugs, lol.. Use firefox, works faultlessly and has more features and themes too. Sorry to chrome users; QQ cheers!

TSE
Jun 28, 2012, 11:53 PM

Firefox sucks
Chrome is weird

If Firefox is weird and Firefox sucks, how can Safari be just average? Wouldn't that make it "the best"? You can't be average without someone above you. :)

hkim1983
Jun 28, 2012, 11:57 PM
Err...Chrome bashing aside, I can verify that this bug happened to me on a 2012 13" MBP, but it only happened once. After that single incident, I stopped using Chrome in fullscreen mode, and it has yet to reoccur...

Hopefully this matter is addressed promptly. While Chrome can be quirky at times, it's still my preferred browser on both Windows and OS X.

DavidTheExpert
Jun 28, 2012, 11:59 PM
I wonder if Google isn't sabotaging their products for Apple devices on purpose. Google searches already run really slowly/buggy on iOS, and now Chrome is causing bugs and freezing on Macbooks? Seems fishy...

I know Google and Apple have a checkered past, but it seems foolish for them to do such a thing, so it's probably not true. But still, I wonder. Honestly I wish it were true, because the only other explanation is that Google is doing a terrible job at quality control. Their products used to work flawlessly, but are now riddled with problems. I miss the old Google. The one that was happy to integrate their API with any software that came along, and fixed every bug before it even left alpha testing.

caligomez
Jun 29, 2012, 12:00 AM
So, might this be an issue if used with Parallels running Windows 7? I don't use Chrome, except on my work desktop (Lenovo running Windows 7) and since that's where all my work bookmarks are stored, sometimes I would have to run Chrome on a virtual machine (when on the road).

I ask, before I'm about to get myself a new 13" MBA, and if this bug affects the VM, then it would be a major inconvenience.

Thanks for any input!

foodog
Jun 29, 2012, 12:05 AM
LOL

Apple's not done till Chrome won't run....

caligomez
Jun 29, 2012, 12:06 AM
No joke, the ad featured right under this article has the Google chrome logo (at almost directly in line with the icon in article pic) and says to download Chrome today...

Awesome.

I love it.. Google Adwords FAIL!

AlexH
Jun 29, 2012, 12:07 AM
If Firefox is weird and Firefox sucks, how can Safari be just average? Wouldn't that make it "the best"? You can't be average without someone above you. :)
You can be average and still be the best, if, as the poster describes, the other options "suck". I'm not defending his position, just pointing the logic.

Pakaku
Jun 29, 2012, 12:14 AM

Firefox sucks
Chrome is weird

I used Camino for a while, I thought it was a nice browser. I might go back to it if Safari bugs me

formerpc
Jun 29, 2012, 12:19 AM
While I don't use Chrome, whenever I try to go to Google Maps, my entire system freezes up just like it's described in the article for Chrome users. Really frustrating. (I have the brand new 15" Macbook Pro 2.3GHz, for reference)

a.gomez
Jun 29, 2012, 12:27 AM
wow, well thank heavens for Firefox... can not imagine someone being stuck using the trash that is Safari.

TimAlia
Jun 29, 2012, 12:28 AM
Ehem... google(.com) itself has been causing Safari to freeze up and bug out. I can't even use the touchpad "back" gesture without google bugging out.

CapnJackGig
Jun 29, 2012, 12:37 AM
I'd rather suffer crashes than use Safari.

dona83
Jun 29, 2012, 12:37 AM
I use Google Chrome on my work PC, but on Mac I consider Safari and Chrome to be equal.

akadmon
Jun 29, 2012, 12:40 AM
I've not use chrome since I discovered it's basically spyware. Ive also deleted all the other Goggle trojans, such as Google Earth an!d Picasa) from my machine, Bottom line:is stick with Safari or FF. Google IS evil!

mended
Jun 29, 2012, 12:42 AM
Holy Smokes. I thought it was my new macbook pro was the problem. Finally, I know it is chrome and not the macbook.

a0me
Jun 29, 2012, 12:43 AM
I've been using Chrome on my Mac (and work PC) for a couple of years.
Love the password, bookmarks and tab sync feature between devices, and Chrome's interface is A LOT snappier than Safari or Firefox, particularly on my aging iMac, on which the other browsers have become all but unusable (one-way ticket to beachball town).

Prodo123
Jun 29, 2012, 12:45 AM
So when Chrome freezes and crashes Macs, Google blames it on Apple.
Seriously?
Just wow.

I switched from IE6-7-8 to Chrome to Firefox to IE9 to Safari. I like Safari the best, Firefox second, IE9 third and Chrome last. The way Chrome renders things and the UI for some reason doesn't sit well with me... :/

ScottishDuck
Jun 29, 2012, 12:48 AM
Seriously?
Just wow.

I switched from IE6-7-8 to Chrome to Firefox to IE9 to Safari. I like Safari the best, Firefox second, IE9 third and Chrome last. The way it renders things and the UI for some reason doesn't sit well with me... :/

Because an operating system shouldn't be allowed to crash simply from running a browser. It's bad security if anything. Duh.

Prodo123
Jun 29, 2012, 12:49 AM
Because an operating system shouldn't be allowed to crash simply from running a browser. It's bad security if anything. Duh.

Macs don't crash when they run anything else.
They crash when they run Chrome.

I think the source of the problem is quite clear.

Allow me to sue Microsoft when my computer crashes due to me running a poorly-coded trivial app. Because you know, such a trivial app shouldn't cause the operating system to crash.

leman
Jun 29, 2012, 12:51 AM
Funny, because its safari that has been frequently crashing on me since Leopard, both on all my macs and on the iphone and ipad. Chrome has always been much faster and more stable, at least in my case. Plus, chrome has more convenience features. Already the automatic search function is a perfect reason to use it over safari.

In this case, it's apple's/intel's driver that sucks. If software works with one GPU and crashes with another one, then it's clearly the GPU driver.

And anyway, on a bug-free os no user space software should be able to cause a kernel panic. Such problems are always os bugs.

Trepanator
Jun 29, 2012, 12:57 AM
I wonder if Google isn't sabotaging their products for Apple devices on purpose. Google searches already run really slowly/buggy on iOS, and now Chrome is causing bugs and freezing on Macbooks? Seems fishy...

I know Google and Apple have a checkered past, but it seems foolish for them to do such a thing, so it's probably not true. But still, I wonder. Honestly I wish it were true, because the only other explanation is that Google is doing a terrible job at quality control. Their products used to work flawlessly, but are now riddled with problems. I miss the old Google. The one that was happy to integrate their API with any software that came along, and fixed every bug before it even left alpha testing.

Google seems to do good with web applications, but those are a lot more forgiving than application code... I think the programmers at Google who work on the Mac version of Chrome are just incompetent. They had another issue like this when Lion came out (related to the 64-bit kernel) that they eventually fixed. Google can blame the operating system all they want, but Chrome is the only application that has ever caused kernel panics on my machines.

realeric
Jun 29, 2012, 12:58 AM
I love it.. Google Adwords FAIL!

As an advertiser I would never ever use Google placements ad on display network. More than 99% clicked on the Google ad by mistake. Don't be evil, Google!

Oletros
Jun 29, 2012, 01:01 AM

Yes, a graphics driver bug

Yahooligan
Jun 29, 2012, 01:01 AM
I used Firefox until they started breaking things and updating major version numbers every week just to catch up to other browser versions, even if the update didn't do anything major. Switched to Chrome and have been using it since, it's more about productivity for me. Chrome has extensions that allow me to connect to internal work websites via an SSH proxy. I don't see a rule-based proxy switcher for Safari, so that makes it rather difficult to do what I need.

The first thing I did with my 2012 Mac after I bought it was turn off graphics switching. :cool:

Safari is nice, cool, etc...but it lacks functionality I need. Until Safari can do everything Chrome or Firefox can I won't be able to use it as my primary browser. :(

HangmanSwingset
Jun 29, 2012, 01:10 AM
Overall I am not a bit surprised this happens. The only thing of theirs I like is their search engine, which I've been using for over a decade. But to be honest, I'd support Google more if they made something with features they didn't find on their own search engine.

uknowimright
Jun 29, 2012, 01:15 AM
lol at the fact this causes the whole system to crash, sounds like Apple is also to blame here

valkata
Jun 29, 2012, 01:16 AM

Yep, it is very clear. Problem is in OSX. Applications can crash as often as they want. However when application crashes whole OS that clearly indicates problem with OS. It is simply not acceptable that application is able to crash OS.

Allow me to sue Microsoft when my computer crashes due to me running a poorly-coded trivial app. Because you know, such a trivial app shouldn't cause the operating system to crash.
Please give me an example of poorly coded application, which crashes Windows. Not Windows 98, but Windows 7.

Snowshiro
Jun 29, 2012, 01:16 AM

I liked it up to the current version, 2,293. Ooops sorry, make that 2,294. Took me a few seconds to type the first sentence.

valkata
Jun 29, 2012, 01:20 AM
the only thing that keeps me with Firefox is it's ability to gave vertical tabs (with add ons).

Prodo123
Jun 29, 2012, 01:22 AM
Yes, a graphics driver bug

Then the graphics bug should be present in all applications, not just Chrome.
Google should code Chrome better so it works with the driver.

iMikeT
Jun 29, 2012, 01:36 AM
I'm so glad I'm strictly a Safari user. Google should stick with search, ads, and email.

mentaluproar
Jun 29, 2012, 01:38 AM

Firefox sucks
Chrome is weird

That's because Internet Explorer is the best!

/sarcasm off

aggri1
Jun 29, 2012, 01:39 AM
You can be average and still be the best, if, as the poster describes, the other options "suck". I'm not defending his position, just pointing the logic.
No you can't, I think you might not quite understand what "average" means. In fact the only way the average can also be the best is if all entries are identical. Then the average is also the maximum and also the minimum.

Perhaps it will show up in other applications. If it's a rarely-used function then perhaps few other applications would exhibit this behaviour.

Ah, I miss Classic.

mentaluproar
Jun 29, 2012, 01:41 AM

Fail.

It's clearly an unforeseen bug with the intel HD 4000, which a driver update will likely work around.

Also, can we just calm down about chrome sucking. Even though I'm a safari user, I admit there's a lot to like about chrome.

JBNY
Jun 29, 2012, 01:42 AM
Chrome has steadily gained in overall popularity among desktop Internet browsers and is currently running neck-and-neck with Firefox for the second position behind Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

Wait what?? IE is still the most popular web browser?? Who still uses IE??

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 29, 2012, 01:46 AM
Try gfxCardStatus (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33905/gfxcardstatus) and activate only the IGP (Intel HD 4000) AND disable the automatic GPU switching in the energy saver preferences! Does that work?

Btw, i see Apple released new printer drivers (Epson & Canon). This means (Mac) OS X 10.7.5 in the next 2-4 weeks.

lepaka
Jun 29, 2012, 01:47 AM
it is removed from my system

i am running in OSX 10.8 and SAFARI kicks firefox and google.

google and others, if they want their applications running on OSX, have to update them.

belive me, when you will try the new Mountain Lion and Safari, you will not look for other alternatives :)

macsmurf
Jun 29, 2012, 01:53 AM

The only acceptable reason for a kernel panic is hardware failure.

In all other cases it's a bug in the OS. Google are not responsible for bugs in the OS. They are responsible for the bug in Chrome that exposes the bug in the OS and they will fix that.

Pyrrhic Victory
Jun 29, 2012, 01:54 AM
I read it as "Google issued a statement saying 'Hahaha all you Apple fanboys got PUNK'D! Enjoy your new CrashBook Airs!' "

imladris
Jun 29, 2012, 01:57 AM
Yep, it is very clear. Problem is in OSX. Applications can crash as often as they want. However when application crashes whole OS that clearly indicates problem with OS. It is simply not acceptable that application is able to crash OS.

Please give me an example of poorly coded application, which crashes Windows. Not Windows 98, but Windows 7.

Agreed. In Windows 7, I have seen the graphics driver crash, and Windows just restarts it and lets you continue. I don't believe OS X has this ability yet. Although Chrome triggered the crash, the bug that crashed OS X resides somewhere in the operating system. However, you can argue if the main responsible of these crashes is Google or Apple, since none should have released a product that would allow a system crash. Regardless, Apple should fix this bug and continue working on stability improvements, at least to match the competition. Ideally, it should never crash, but that might be hard to pull off. :)

On another note, I'm a Chrome user (on Windows and OS X), because of its speed and security features, and built-in click-to-run-plugin, although I think the user experience of Safari is better, for the most part.

Oletros
Jun 29, 2012, 02:01 AM
. However, you can argue if the main responsible of these crashes is Google or Apple, since none should have released a product that would allow a system crash.

Or Intel :D

macnerd93
Jun 29, 2012, 02:02 AM
I just use the nightly builds of webkit way faster than chrome. I cant understand why anyone bothers with Chrome its no faster than the normal preinstalled safari to me. I just think its people physiologically thinking its faster. Chrome is based on webkit so its got the same underpinnings as Safari as well.

Sound like chrome has become like dreaded IE: Macintosh Edition in Mac OS 8.6 that also use to cause system wide crashes and freezes.

iBug2
Jun 29, 2012, 02:05 AM
I just use the nightly builds of webkit way faster than chrome. I cant understand why anyone bothers with Chrome its no faster than the normal preinstalled safari to me. I just think its people physiologically thinking its faster. Chrome is based on webkit so its got the same under pinnings of Safari.

Sound that chrome has become like IE Macintosh Edition in Mac OS 8.6 that also use to cause system wide crashes and freezes.

Some people do use Chrome or Firefox due to the amount of extensions which aren't available for Safari.

I use Safari as my main browser but use Firefox for some tasks due to some very very useful extensions. If Firefox wasn't so sluggish it'd be my primary browser but...

lee27
Jun 29, 2012, 02:11 AM
I've not use chrome since I discovered it's basically spyware. Ive also deleted all the other Goggle trojans, such as Google Earth an!d Picasa) from my machine, Bottom line:is stick with Safari or FF. Google IS evil!

I totally agree with you!!!!

I also deleted all Google software, when I discovered google uses spyware.

throAU
Jun 29, 2012, 02:12 AM
The worst and the most funny thing is that user space application manages to crash whole "most advanced desktop operating system"... OSX is not so stable after all, Linux and windows do better...

its obviously a driver issue.

yes os x, or maybe the intel coder(s) they have on board to do the driver support for hd4000 is to blame.

chrome is leaking resources, but the OS should just terminate the app for that.

faroZ06
Jun 29, 2012, 02:12 AM
It's wasteful on my iMac anyway, using a lot of extra CPU to load Flash and using more RAM and CPU while idle.

Sensation
Jun 29, 2012, 02:13 AM
Chrome is the best browser by far, I imagine this is down to apples terrible drivers.

faroZ06
Jun 29, 2012, 02:15 AM
Seriously?
Just wow.

I switched from IE6-7-8 to Chrome to Firefox to IE9 to Safari. I like Safari the best, Firefox second, IE9 third and Chrome last. The way Chrome renders things and the UI for some reason doesn't sit well with me... :/

I really hate the Chrome UI, but I think it's second-best because it's fast. Safari is still quicker, supports better extensions, and has better features anyway (at least on Mac). Sadly, Apple has decided to ruin Safari for Windows by making it have the Chrome UI :mad:

Also, Firefox has really gotten slow. It used to be the best.

----------

Chrome is the best browser by far, I imagine this is down to apples terrible drivers.

Have you used Safari? It's actually faster than Chrome, and it has some nice features in it that are unique, like the Activity Window.

throAU
Jun 29, 2012, 02:15 AM

You've got no idea how a proper operating system with memory protection is supposed to work, do you?

Oletros
Jun 29, 2012, 02:18 AM

What spyware?

It's wasteful on my iMac anyway, using a lot of extra CPU to load Flash and using more RAM and CPU while idle.

Flashblock or disable plug in. Then execute on demand.

Problem solved

ansalmo
Jun 29, 2012, 02:28 AM
This isn't just an issue with the new Airs, it's been happening on my 2011 Air for at least 6 months. I get full system freezes every couple of days when using Chrome, but no problems for weeks on end if I stick with Safari. Shame, as I prefer Chrome for browsing.

Oletros
Jun 29, 2012, 02:31 AM
Have you used Safari? It's actually faster than Chrome, and it lets you change your user agent (something that everything but Chrome and IE can do).

Ein? Chrome allows changing user agent

imladris
Or Intel :D

Yes. :) If there is a hardware bug, that is. I think it's kind of hard for Intel to design its chips in a way that no systems running on it can crash. ;)

valkata

The same kind of people who use Safari in OSX ;)

OXO
Jun 29, 2012, 02:36 AM
What spyware?

Chrome passes all your browsing habits to Google. Have you never wondered how it always puts ads up for things which you were looking for 5 minutes ago?

Google mail reads you emails for the same thing. Google maps records location...

I could go on about them stealing your wifi data with Streetview cars...

Google is Evil and their products have no place on any of my devices.

Oletros
Jun 29, 2012, 02:40 AM
Chrome passes all your browsing habits to Google. Have you never wondered how it always puts ads up for things which you were looking for 5 minutes ago?

Google mail reads you emails for the same thing. Google maps records location...

Ah, well, only the anti Google FUD and nothing about real spyware

Torrijos
Jun 29, 2012, 02:47 AM
Google giving lessons in OS development, sure :rolleyes:

Anyway, this has been an issue with Chrome for some times, Google tend to avoid pretty standard frameworks for no visible benefit but it tends to create instability for whenever Apple updates the OS or the hardware...
The same happened with the retina MBP introduction where Chrome had a hard time with text because Google avoided the standard framework.

Still I wonder what they were sending to the GPU, and how. It would be interesting to see a postmortem on this.

faroZ06
Jun 29, 2012, 02:54 AM
Ein? Chrome allows changing user agent

Oh my mistake, they added it now. It used to require an extension that didn't seem to work. I'll edit my post so I don't get more replies about this.

----------

According to some survey, Chrome was the most popular as of a few months ago. They judge that using user agent detection, but I don't think IE users are the kind of people who browse a lot. They do surf the cyber superhighway, though.

I encountered a guy on a Minecraft server who uses Internet Explorer on his Mac, and it's not even an old Mac (PowerMac G5).

OXO
Jun 29, 2012, 02:54 AM
Ah, well, only the anti Google FUD and nothing about real spyware

Live on in ignorance !

daiku
Jun 29, 2012, 02:59 AM
I have found on my Early 2012 Mac Notebook that Safari freezes sometimes as well, not crashing the whole machine, however. I am assuming it is the ongoing problems with Adobe Flash, which never seem to go away

flottenheimer
Jun 29, 2012, 03:01 AM
...First launched in September 2008, Chrome has steadily gained in overall popularity among desktop Internet browsers and is currently running neck-and-neck with Firefox (http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=0&qpcustomd=0) for the second position behind Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

Funny. Several articles have already claimed that Chrome is now the worlds leading browser.

And these stats support that: http://gs.statcounter.com/
Further reading: http://gs.statcounter.com/press/chrome-overtakes-ie-globally-monthly

PS: On StatCounter GlobalStats sample size "Stats are based on over 15 billion page views per month recorded across over 3 million websites. We are not aware of any publicly available stats with a larger sample size."

a0me
Jun 29, 2012, 03:11 AM
I just use the nightly builds of webkit way faster than chrome. I cant understand why anyone bothers with Chrome its no faster than the normal preinstalled safari to me.
Old iMac 24' (Late 2006) running Snow Leopard here. With Safari and Firefox it's a one-way ticket to beachball town.
Safari takes over a minute to launch and I have to wait a few seconds between each click before the menu shows up. Completely unusable.
With Chrome, the interface response time is WAY better and Chrome is the only usable browser on my machine.

beowulf70
Jun 29, 2012, 03:15 AM
This is disappointing. I've been using Chrome for over a year now on Mac Pro's and MacBook Pro's at work and loved it... Very fast and never had any problems. I was looking forward to using it on my new rMBP [as soon as it arrives].

Oh well, I'm sure it'll be fixed shortly. :rolleyes:

a0me
I really hate the Chrome UI, but I think it's second-best because it's fast. Safari is still quicker, supports better extensions, and has better features anyway (at least on Mac).
Have you used Safari? It's actually faster than Chrome, and it has some nice features in it that are unique, like the Activity Window.
Not in my experience. On my late 2006 iMac 24' running Snow Leopard, Safari and Firefox are slower than a slow motion replay of a snail race during the Siberian mid-winter championships.
Chrome just works.

Oletros
Live on in ignorance !

Better living on ignorance than on wrong facts

Lennholm
Jun 29, 2012, 03:17 AM

I'm curious, how did you discover this and why haven't you reported it since a discovery like this would be headline news?

Chrome doesn't send any data unless you allow it. Google can track your browsing habits because the sites you browse implements Google Analytics and/or some other Google service, such as ads, so it doesn't matter which browser you use since the tracking is done by the sites rather than the browser.
You have to accept that if you want to get the free content of the internet you'll have to live with ads and don't you prefer to get ads that you might be interested in rather than some random ones?
Google doesn't store any personal information about you, they track you by cookies and you can easily clear your cookies and Google will "lose track" of you.
They don't sell information to 3rd parties like some believe, that would be like throwing away the primary reason for 3rd parties to subscribe to their services, for pocket change. Why would they do that?

CountSessine
Jun 29, 2012, 03:37 AM

Complete nonsense. I see PCs in the office blue-screen all the time because Maya or Z-Brush manage to tickle the OpenGL ICD in some funny way.

Drivers are drivers. When they have bugs they'll crash the system, and when they're under constant development the way GPU drivers are, they'll have bugs.

tekno
Jun 29, 2012, 03:39 AM

You can do this on Chrome (two finger swipe to go fwd and back). I use Chrome and the only thing I really miss from Safari is being able to use cmd+1/2/3 etc to call-up each bookmark in the bookmarks bar.

Sounds like this issue, although triggered by Chrome, is Apple's fault.

Quindo
Jun 29, 2012, 03:45 AM

from my MBP 2012 kp log:

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: firefox

MH01
Jun 29, 2012, 03:46 AM
LOL....

The key point here is that chrome crashing is actually crashing/freezing up the new MBPs. That is a major step backwards for an OS, something you would have expected from a M$ OS a few generations back..... tsk tsk Apple, your slipping!

I've had Chrome die plenty of times on my windows 7 machine, those crashes were handled gracefully.

I guess we will not be seeing any more I am a PC v I am a Mac commercials the way things are going, with security and stabablity dropping on the mac side, I guess they will keep quiet ;)

Lancer
Jun 29, 2012, 03:54 AM
Being on a PPC I'm yet to try Chrome, but good to know when I upgrade to a new iMac soon. Use with caution.

I'm a FireFox fan anyway.

MH01
Jun 29, 2012, 03:57 AM
Complete nonsense. I see PCs in the office blue-screen all the time because Maya or Z-Brush manage to tickle the OpenGL ICD in some funny way.

Drivers are drivers. When they have bugs they'll crash the system, and when they're under constant development the way GPU drivers are, they'll have bugs.

hmmmm interesting. What OS are you PCs in the office running? I've had plenty of crashes of the GPU drivers under windows 7 and they have not resulted in blue screens, the only way I blue screen my PC is if I overclock it to far.

Weather its window or OS X, no program should be crashing the OS. Especially under OS X as apple controls the drivers, in a closed environment.

----------

Being on a PPC I'm yet to try Chrome, but good to know when I upgrade to a new iMac soon. Use with caution.

I'm a FireFox fan anyway.

This issue will be fixed in days, not in months, do not worry.

till213
Jun 29, 2012, 04:01 AM
Seriously?
Just wow.

YES! Very seriously! When a user-space application is able to crash/freeze an entire OS then this is f\/cking serious! Ever heard of "Denial of Service" attacks? And who knows, maybe there's just another security hole being opened by that... so Google "just" crashed the OS, but a malicious application could try to exploit such a weakness.

Cheers

----------

Because you know, such a trivial app shouldn't cause the operating system to crash.

Yes, for sure! That's a FACT! Everyone knows that.

But what about you?!

KnightWRX
Jun 29, 2012, 04:03 AM

Geez, because it's so hard to just disable the plugin :

Or make it on demand :

Yep, let's just call Chrome wasteful instead of useful. Safari running Flash has the same problem. :rolleyes:

As for this, obvious graphics driver bug, everything has been said. Anyone bashing Chrome over this doesn't quite understand modern OS design.

Piggie
Jun 29, 2012, 04:06 AM

You use Siri do you?

boomish
Jun 29, 2012, 04:07 AM
Did Apple never test it with Chrome??? unbelievable..

KnightWRX
Jun 29, 2012, 04:08 AM

Google Analytics is the culprit. Every browser is affected. Most sites just run scripts from Google to do ad analytics. Web masters like this stuff. Google Chrome doesn't do anything special here.

No one at Google reads your e-mail. A system uses keywords in your e-mail to present targetted ads while in Gmail. That is all. Nothing to worry about there.

Don't broadcast your SSID to the world if you don't want Streetview cars to record your SSID (they stopped doing that). You do know Apple uses the same technique with iOS for AGPS right ?

BTW your SSID is not WIFI data.

Good, then you don't have any reasons to click on threads about Google products and can let us Google software users discuss in peace then.

----------

You use Siri do you?

Of course he doesn't. He's consequent. Siri records everything you say and sends it over the Internet to a datacenter. Apple listens to everything you tell Siri! That's as evil as Google reading your e-mail.

tninety
Jun 29, 2012, 04:09 AM
Chrome passes all your browsing habits to Google

Stop spreading your fanboy FUD. You're wrong and stupid. Chrome sends usage statistics to Google if you enable it (even this is disabled by default) but this includes things like crash reports and usage patterns but certainly not anything as personally identifiable as your browser history. Many software vendors do something similar, including Apple for many of their products.

They do save search results for a while, but these are all automated processes and no human is allowed to see them. As for Gmail, your email is going to be stored on whichever provider's server anyway. All they do is use a bot to look for keywords and serve you some ads - many people think this is a fair tradeoff for a nice, free, and reliable email service, and I would be inclined to agree.

If you want to use Chrome without any "Google" in it, download the source for Chromium and compile it yourself. It's open source, like Firefox but unlike Safari, and you can feel free to analyze every line of code to see if Google has built in a backdoor.

gloryunited
Jun 29, 2012, 04:25 AM

I use Chrome with BetterTouchTool (which is a GREAT app for universal customised gestures across OS X) and it's just perfect.

Something I use:
3-finger swipe up/down = next/previous tab
3-finger tab = open new tab
4-finger tab = close tab
3-finger click = full screen (I'm still on Snow Leopard)

:D

jordanm86
Jun 29, 2012, 04:33 AM
I have a late 2008 unibody MBP and Chrome has crashed at least once a day since installing it. It has either terribly inefficient javascript handling or memory leaks.

Firefox is a bit flaky too and the only reliable browser I have is Safari but for some reason I don't want to use it. I don't like the look and feel of it :-s

gnasher729
Jun 29, 2012, 04:39 AM

Not really. You can only be average and still be the best if everyone is equally good. What he really meant was the Safari was maybe "unremarkable", not "average". If the alternatives either suck or are weird, then "average" would mean "it half sucks and is half weird", which was not what the original poster meant. :D

archurban
Jun 29, 2012, 04:40 AM
I don't use safari on my mac and pc since 2009. chrome is the best as I have experienced. I use developer version which is very faster and offers tons of free apps.

Icy1007
Jun 29, 2012, 04:49 AM
LOL

Safari on iOS is a great browser. Safari on Mac OS X is a great browser. It's the Windows version that is really bad.

----------

I encountered a guy on a Minecraft server who uses Internet Explorer on his Mac, and it's not even an old Mac (PowerMac G5).

Any PPC Mac is an old mac. Any Mac that isn't supported by Apple is an old Mac.

Sue De Nimes
Jun 29, 2012, 05:01 AM
I can't stand Chrome! I've been using it on my work PC for a while now, and it's ALWAYS locking up and crashing, and most of the time it's while browsing Google! Especially their RSS reader. It's horrible and I'm amazed so many people think it's so great.

Solid as a rock for me on Windows and OSX.

Ed91
Jun 29, 2012, 05:12 AM
I'll go back to Safari when they bring back tabs on top.

It was a little depressing to know that Safari is the only major browser that doesn't have a feature I love, but it was only after I saw the ugly (http://cl.ly/EkRL), hideous (http://cl.ly/ElHO) beta of Safari 5.2 that I ran for the hills.

Sedrick
Jun 29, 2012, 05:14 AM
So Gizmodo is all the sudden a reputable new source when it puts Google in a bad light?

spazzcat
Jun 29, 2012, 05:21 AM
Did Apple never test it with Chrome??? unbelievable..

You know that isn't Apples Job, right?

Lancer
Jun 29, 2012, 05:25 AM
This issue will be fixed in days, not in months, do not worry.

I guess it will but any program that can crash the whole computer is a worry to me, I've had plenty of programs crash but usually they don't affect OS X or other programs. Guess it pays to always have a backup and not leave work unsaved where possible.

+1

But I detected a note of sarcasm. LOL

b11051973
Jun 29, 2012, 05:31 AM
I experienced a couple of these kernel panics on my new MBA. Glad to see Google knows about it. Hopefully Apple fixes up the issue. A web browser shouldn't be able to cause a kernel panic no matter what it is doing.

MH01
Jun 29, 2012, 05:42 AM
I guess it will but any program that can crash the whole computer is a worry to me, I've had plenty of programs crash but usually they don't affect OS X or other programs. Guess it pays to always have a backup and not leave work unsaved where possible.

Spot on.

Does not matter what OS you are using, crashes/freezes will happen. Not to mention that hardware also fails.

Tinyluph
Jun 29, 2012, 05:55 AM
The headline makes it sound like Chrome is at fault here which is simply disingenuous.

majkom
Jun 29, 2012, 06:12 AM
Dont understand why any mac user uses that google crap

Glideslope
Jun 29, 2012, 06:15 AM

Fear not. There are others. :apple:

subsonix
Jun 29, 2012, 06:16 AM
Stop spreading your fanboy FUD. You're wrong and stupid. Chrome sends usage statistics to Google if you enable it (even this is disabled by default) but this includes things like crash reports and usage patterns but certainly not anything as personally identifiable as your browser history.

He's not wrong, everything that is typed in the address field is sent to Google if you use Google as the default search engine in Chrome. That is a result of the dual search and address field, and this is sent before you even hit enter. How do you think Chrome is able to give you suggestions in the address bar before you are finished typing?

If you want to convince yourself of this, trace socket connections and dump packets going out of your box.

docderwood
Jun 29, 2012, 06:18 AM
In the past two weeks I've bought a new MacBook Air, returned it, and now I'm returning my one week old MBP retina.

They both locked up several times a day......even with Chrome uninstalled and a barebones install.

I don't know what the issue is but I've already sold my old 2010 MBP on eBay that locked up 6 times a year at most.

Looks like I'll limp along on the iPad for a while......

Flitzy
Jun 29, 2012, 06:19 AM
Sounds like it's your own fault for using Chrome.

Seriously, why would you even waste your time on that spyware?

marcusj0015
Jun 29, 2012, 06:24 AM
Seriously?
Just wow.

Google isn't blaming anything, they've examined the crash reports, and have discovered that it's a bug in Apple's OS, chill out. Nobody's trying to hurt your wittle Apple.

----------

All your kernel are belong to Google!

lmao

----------

Chrome has only crashed on my like 5 times in the two years I've been using it, and I use the Dev chanell, and I have 40+ tabs open constantly...

ixodes
Jun 29, 2012, 06:26 AM
Anyone bashing Chrome over this doesn't quite understand modern OS design.
Well said.

To those who hate Chrome, you're only shortchanging yourself.

I've been using it with great success as my browser of choice on both my Macs & PC's for quite some time now. There are far too many advantages to ignore.

marcusj0015
Jun 29, 2012, 06:26 AM

Firefox sucks
Chrome is weird

It's already been done. Chrome. duh

tninety
Jun 29, 2012, 06:36 AM
He's not wrong, everything that is typed in the address field is sent to Google if you use Google as the default search engine in Chrome. That is a result of the dual search and address field, and this is sent before you even hit enter. How do you think Chrome is able to give you suggestions in the address bar before you are finished typing?

If you want to convince yourself of this, trace socket connections and dump packets going out of your box.
That's a feature of a search engine and not necessarily the browser. Most modern browsers support autocomplete via a variety of search providers. Maybe they don't have an omnibar like Chrome does, but most sure do have a search box next to the address bar.

Chrome even gives you a choice between Google and two other search competitors on its first startup, if you don't feel inclined to give Google your meaningless non-personally-identifiable autocomplete information.

marcusj0015
Jun 29, 2012, 06:36 AM

And what proof of this do you have, aside from panicked ill-informed fear-mongering?

Flitzy
Jun 29, 2012, 06:41 AM
And what proof of this do you have, aside from panicked ill-informed fear-mongering?

You do realize that they were caught red-handed reading messages and illegally using WiFi signals, right?

They're currently under investigation in the UK for that.

Google is NOT the saintly company many Googlebots think they are.

subsonix
Jun 29, 2012, 06:43 AM
That's a feature of a search engine and not necessarily the browser.

Sure, but in this case, the browser and search engine use the same data entry field. It's not necessarily tied to the browser if the search field is separated from the url field.

if you don't feel inclined to give Google your meaningless non-personally-identifiable autocomplete information.

Autocomplete is only one part of this, I mentioned it as an indication that the information (everything you type in your url field) is sent to google before you hit enter. It's a side note really.

tninety
Jun 29, 2012, 06:45 AM
You do realize that they were caught red-handed reading messages and illegally using WiFi signals, right?

http://i.imgur.com/df74O.gif

Their StreetView cars captured some unencrypted packets and the data was backed up on hard drives somewhere. It's not the big deal that you make it out to be.

Renzatic
Jun 29, 2012, 06:48 AM

Or if they want most of the advantages of Chrome, but wear a tinfoil hat so the Google Advertising Overlords can't read their thoughts, they can always go with Chromium.

It's like Google without the Google in it. Not that it matters much, they already know where you live, what you did Thursday, September 24, 2006, and what your plans are for tomorrow.

...they might even be among us now. Any one of us here could be a Google Bot. You think you know KnightWRX, ixodes, marcusj0015? Hell, even me? Do you really know? I don't think you do. Any one of us could be watching you. Taking notes. Ready to report to Google about your favorite movies. Videogames. Books. Music. It's an insidious beast, that Google. Targeting demographics without remorse.

There is no escape. You will be advertised to. It is a brave new world. Submit willingly...

...for Google knows. :eek:

Bezetos
Jun 29, 2012, 06:48 AM
So Google Chrome was freezing because of some bug in the Mac OS and only on specific graphic cards? Big deal... How about I create a list of other apps that crash on my Snow Leopard on the Mac I'm using (yes, I haven't updated to Lion yet).

goosnarrggh
Jun 29, 2012, 06:50 AM

If the application interacts with the driver in a way that doesn't work properly, then the application should crash. The OS should never.

Yes, Google absolutely needs to review its interaction with the graphics APIs to make sure they aren't attempting to use it in unsupported ways, or depending on unspecified behavior. If they are misusing the APIs, then they need to fix them.

At the same time, Apple also needs to make sure that misuse of its graphics APIs is handled in a way that preserves the integrity of everything else outside the offending application, to make sure that it doesn't cause the entire OS to crash.

(Or, if it turns out that it is possible to trigger such an OS crash even if the application developer completely adheres to all the necessary API specifications, then Apple needs to either fix the driver to behave in accordance with specifications, or else adjust the specifications to advise developers to avoid performing the theoretically-valid but practically-offending operation.)

Both companies have code that needs reviewing.

marcusj0015
Jun 29, 2012, 06:52 AM
I just use the nightly builds of webkit way faster than chrome. I cant understand why anyone bothers with Chrome its no faster than the normal preinstalled safari to me. I just think its people physiologically thinking its faster. Chrome is based on webkit so its got the same underpinnings as Safari as well.

Sound like chrome has become like dreaded IE: Macintosh Edition in Mac OS 8.6 that also use to cause system wide crashes and freezes.

Lol "same underpinnings" Chrome uses a custom version of WebKit, Chrome added the seperate thread archeticture that WebKit 2 ripped off, and Chrome's V8 beats the pants off all other browsers, stop acting like you understand any of this when you clearly don't.

JohnDoe98
Jun 29, 2012, 06:54 AM
Well said.

I've been using it with great success as my browser of choice on both my Macs & PC's for quite some time now. There are far too many advantages to ignore.

Such as? And don't say aesthetics, I don't care about that on my browser.

marcusj0015
Jun 29, 2012, 06:55 AM
Or if they want most of the advantages of Chrome, but wear a tinfoil hat so the Google Advertising Overlords can't read their thoughts, they can always go with Chromium.

It's like Google without the Google in it. Not that it matters much, they already know where you live, what you did Thursday, September 24, 2006, and what your plans are for tomorrow.

...they might even be among us now. Any one of us here could be a Google Bot. You think you know KnightWRX, ixodes, marcusj0015? Hell, even me? Do you really know? I don't think you do. Any one of us could be watching you. Taking notes. Ready to report to Google about your favorite movies. Videogames. Books. Music. It's an insidious beast, that Google. Targeting demographics without remorse.

There is no escape. You will be advertised to. It is a brave new world. Submit willingly...

...for Google knows. :eek:

OMG i'm a Google bot! Thanks for the honor! This is awesome, what should I do with my new googlebot powers? Hmmmm. Lmao.

JohnDoe98
Jun 29, 2012, 06:56 AM

Right and now they are subject to 20 years of careful Government monitoring. So you don't have to worry about it until 2032.

And I don't use any Google services, so I am not invested in defending them, just stating facts.

marcusj0015
Jun 29, 2012, 06:56 AM

So... Let me get this straight, Google Chrome, is really a transformer, that becomes an eavesdropping Google car when you're asleep?

Bezetos
Jun 29, 2012, 06:57 AM
Such as? And don't say aesthetics, I don't care about that on my browser.
Let me do it for him:
* Speed
* Usability
* UX
* UI (you can ignore that if you want to)
* Developer tools
* Extension system (not because it exists, but because of how it's designed)
* Extra functionality like synced Tabs, inter-device operability

marcusj0015
Jun 29, 2012, 06:57 AM
if the application interacts with the driver in a way that doesn't work properly, then the application should crash. The os should never.

Yes, google absolutely needs to review its interaction with the graphics apis to make sure they aren't attempting to use it in unsupported ways, or depending on unspecified behavior. If they are misusing the apis, then they need to fix them.

At the same time, apple also needs to make sure that misuse of its graphics apis is handled in a way that preserves the integrity of everything else outside the offending application, to make sure that it doesn't cause the entire os to crash.

(or, if it turns out that it is possible to trigger such an os crash even if the application developer completely adheres to all the necessary api specifications, then apple needs to either fix the driver to behave in accordance with specifications, or else adjust the specifications to advise developers to avoid performing the theoretically-valid but practically-offending operation.)

both companies have code that needs reviewing.

exactly!

Renzatic
Jun 29, 2012, 07:00 AM
OMG i'm a Google bot! Thanks for the honor! This is awesome, what should I do with my new googlebot powers? Hmmmm. Lmao.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3018396/Misc/omg.gif

marcusj0015
Jun 29, 2012, 07:00 AM
Image (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3018396/Misc/omg.gif)

lmfao!

tninety
Jun 29, 2012, 07:15 AM
Sure, but in this case, the browser and search engine use the same data entry field. It's not necessarily tied to the browser if the search field is separated from the url field.

Autocomplete is only one part of this, I mentioned it as an indication that the information (everything you type in your url field) is sent to google before you hit enter. It's a side note really.

It's sent to them because it's necessary for that information to be sent for search autocomplete to even work. Everything they do with this information is disclosed and the feature can be turned off, and they're not sneaky about it.

https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=114836&p=settings_privacy

It's not like they're actively scouring your web history, looking for every opportunity to show your ads targeted specifically toward everything in it, like the other user implied. These are all features that make browsing a lot easier (that can be turned off), and not everything is sent.

JohnDoe98
Jun 29, 2012, 07:17 AM
Let me do it for him:

Come-on. I'm genuinely interested in knowing if it is worth trying and I'm sure others are too. Don't just spew any random nonsense that comes to mind, but explain things properly please.

* Speed

Source?

* Usability

What does this even mean? I've been using Safari for many years now and haven't had any issue getting to my web content. Before that I had SeaMonkey. Please explain this.

* UX

Same as above.

* UI (you can ignore that if you want to)

Done.

* Developer tools

Doesn't Safari also have this?

* Extension system (not because it exists, but because of how it's designed)

Safari also has this, though in truth, I haven't seen much need for extensions. For the most part they are incredibly gimmicky, other than Ad Block and Click2Plugin which I think are on both Safari and Chrome.

* Extra functionality like synced Tabs, inter-device operability

Safari also has this in the DPs.

ekdor
I find Safari unexciting but it works best for me. Firefox used to be my fab but now it takes forever to start up and chrome's not much better. I still use them to test my website codeing. All browsers annoy me.

organerito
Hey, don't worry about all of the Google-haters.
If Tim Cook tells Apple fanatics to like Google for now on, they'll love it and use all of its services. :cool:

Renzatic
Jun 29, 2012, 07:18 AM
lmfao!

In commemoration of this thread, I have now officially changed my avatar.

...well, it'll change sooner or later. Stupid koala.

JohnDoe98
Jun 29, 2012, 07:20 AM
It's not like they're actively scouring your web history, looking for every opportunity to show your ads targeted specifically toward everything in it, like the other user implied. These are all features that make browsing a lot easier (that can be turned off), and not everything is sent.

And what is sent is anonymized. They track your computer through its cookies and such, so they know your general interests, but there was a recent study which revealed they know little if anything about who you are as a person. They can't even accurately guess your age given the data they have.

Flitzy
Jun 29, 2012, 07:20 AM
Hey, don't worry about all of the Google-haters.
If Tim Cook tells them to like Google for now on, they'll love it and use all of its services. :cool:

Yeah, no.

I wouldn't use Google even if they bribed every user with $20.

I won't support the arrogant, elitist snobs at Google. It amazes me that they've duped the tech world into thinking they're, somehow, looking to further technology when that's the furthest thing from their minds.

And what is sent is anonymized. They track your computer through its cookies and such, so they know your general interests, but there was a recent study which revealed they know little if anything about who you are as a person. They can't even accurately guess your age given the data they have.

Google owns Doubleclick, you know. One of the worst offenders of tracking on the Internet.

JohnDoe98
Jun 29, 2012, 07:24 AM
I won't support the arrogant, elitist snobs at Google. It amazes me that they've duped the tech world into thinking they're, somehow, looking to further technology when that's the furthest thing from their minds.

Yeah I think we should go back to Altavista as our main search engine. And you are right, Google Voice hasn't had any impact on the way many of us use telephones... Funny, I haven't had a phone bill/plan in 4 years and have never paid for texting. And Google Scholar? talk about useless... (sarcasm).

docderwood
Jun 29, 2012, 07:24 AM

Sir,

Thanks for the helpful post.

ericinboston
Jun 29, 2012, 07:25 AM

Firefox sucks
Chrome is weird

Can you define an awesome browser? I've been surfing the net since 1994 mostly on Windows machines.

I've been using Firefox for the past 5 years and LOVE it. I read websites, search articles being rendered, Youtube, Hulu, but most of all reading/surfing. I love the ability to type in the URL window and it pulls up the last X pages that had that keyword. I also love the Private Browsing as it is useful for gift shopping where our machine is used by a lot of family and nice to know people aren't seeing that I looked/bought something on Amazon or wherever.

I'll admit that IE is slow and has been not-so-great since 2000, but FF has really shined in the Wintel world IMHO...and it has a ton of support out of the box plus lots of plugins.

I've never touched Chrome. I've only used Safari on my iPhone and iPad...Firefox is on my Mac Mini.

So please tell us/me what I'm missing with FF...either compared to other browsers or your vision of an awesome browser.

subsonix
Jun 29, 2012, 07:25 AM
It's sent to them because it's necessary for that information to be sent for search autocomplete to even work. Everything they do with this information is disclosed and the feature can be turned off, and they're not sneaky about it.

https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=114836&p=settings_privacy

Autocomplete, and search.

Let's recap, you called the guy wrong and stupid for saying "Chrome passes all your browsing habits to Google".

Now, everything you type into your url bar is sent to Google. Everything you type in your url bar equates to everything you do on the web, which are your browsing habits.

Regarding your last paragraph, I'm not really making a tinfoil hat statement here or trying to make a case that Google are either wrong or right.

Renzatic
Jun 29, 2012, 07:32 AM
Now, everything you type into your url bar is sent to Google. Everything you type in your url bar equates to everything you do on the web, which are your browsing habits.

I think it only does that if you've enabled Instant. Which I'm pretty sure is disabled by default.

MrNomNoms
Jun 29, 2012, 07:34 AM
Having Google Chrome open gobbles up battery power because of the way it enables GPU acceleration, causing the dedicated graphics to fire up.

Ironically, this update to Chrome is probably a good one for all users with a MacBook Pro because it will likely increase battery life.

IIRC Safari has GPU acceleration on Lion as well yet doesn't exhibit the same problems so I guess it depends on how the GPU acceleration is achieved but that doesn't excuse a user space application causing a kernel panic - I can only hope that maybe we'll see the problem resolved quickly.

Btw, the increase in battery usage when running Chrome has more to do with the process-per-tab model that it employs verses the way in which Safari/Webkit2 implement the multi-process model.

subsonix
Jun 29, 2012, 07:36 AM
I think it only does that if you've enabled Instant. Which I'm pretty sure is disabled by default.

It is disabled by default, but it still does this with it turned off. The comment in the settings regarding instant is that results may be logged. It may be that they are not logged with out instant turned on but instead discarded.

adder7712
Jun 29, 2012, 07:38 AM

Spyware? LOL. This is the reason why Apple fans are a laughing stock and nope not a Google fanboi here.

Anybody remember Bonzi Buddy and crap like that? Those are actual spyware.

iamdavekennedy
Jun 29, 2012, 07:41 AM
With the issue affecting all systems using Intel HD 4000 graphics

Well.. that's just not true, I've been using Chrome on an Intel HD 4000 for over two weeks now and haven't suffered a single crash?

Blackened Apple
Jun 29, 2012, 07:44 AM
Kernel panics should not be caused by userspace applications, but the situation here seems like the graphics drivers (which run in kernelspace) are faulty, and whenever Chrome uses a certain graphics resource, the driver is causing the crash and kernel panic. Apple has acknowledged the problem and are probably working on a fix with Intel, so don't worry about it, just use Safari for the next couple of days.

Spanky Deluxe
Jun 29, 2012, 07:46 AM
I've never understood the need for Chrome and why some people choose to use it. Safari on Mac, IE on Windows and Firefox on both as a good backup for the odd iffy website. Outside of artificial benchmarks, they're all just the same in terms of speed - i.e. limited by the broadband speed.

kazmac
Jun 29, 2012, 07:47 AM
As many users here have already pointed out, Chrome is the reason behind many kernel panics. That is good news.

Chrome really screwed with my work PC, so for that alone I never bothered to install it on my iMac.

Agree about the meh qualities of Safari and Firefox, but they're okay in SL so I'll deal.

Roessnakhan
Jun 29, 2012, 07:48 AM
I have never had problems with Chrome, it is my favorite browser. Hopefully they get this issue fixed though, as I'm getting one of the newer MacBook Pro's soon.

DustinT
Jun 29, 2012, 07:56 AM
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, Chrome is working fine on my 2012 rBMP.

Renzatic

I'm sure the GPS navigated automated car is a concept only a complete luddite would love.

I've never understood the need for Chrome and why some people choose to use it. Safari on Mac, IE on Windows and Firefox on both as a good backup for the odd iffy website. Outside of artificial benchmarks, they're all just the same in terms of speed - i.e. limited by the broadband speed.

This is very true. Chrome might score better on one test, Firefox scores better on another, but seriously...these are benchmarks measured in bare milliseconds. Even if browser A were to clock a quarter as fast across the entire benchmark suite, no one would notice the difference in any real world examples.

I use Chrome simply because I like the UI. It's nice and minimal. Other than that and font rendering, I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between it and, say, IE or Firefox.

Also, as to the kernal panic thing going on...I'm sorry, but I gotta say it. All this talk you hear around here about how Apples never mess up and blah blah blah is just practically begging for it...

OSX: It Just Works. :P

techsmith

Even if you don't like/use Chrome (I'm a Firefox user myself), they came up with some good ideas that everyone else eventually copied including:

- Running each tab as a separate process so that if a tab crashes it does not take down the whole browser.
- Running plugins in a separate process so that when a plugin (i.e. Flash) crashes is does not take down the browser.
- First to focus on Java script performance. Their Java engine blew away all
the competition at the time and started fierce competition here.

These helped everyone.

Others copied some of the GUI ideas as well such as the start page showing your favorites and some of the minimalistic ideas.

Renzatic
Jun 29, 2012, 07:59 AM
Copied from Safari or Chrome? Hardly. Just about every modern browser convention was lifted in some shape, form, or fashion from Opera.

Tabs? Speed dials? Everything? Yup. Opera first.

Bezetos
Jun 29, 2012, 08:09 AM
Come-on. I'm genuinely interested in knowing if it is worth trying and I'm sure others are too. Don't just spew any random nonsense that comes to mind, but explain things properly please.

(...)blah blah Safari blah blah(...)

I just listed a lot of advantages that Chrome has, I'm not comparing it with Safari at all (although I personally think it's a lot better). I'm not going to waste my time explaining exactly why the UX is so great, it's my preference (quickly: ergonomics, unified search and address bar, minimal interface, tab management etc.); or finding you a source that Chrome is fast (seriously?).

bearda
Jun 29, 2012, 08:10 AM
nto your url bar is sent to Google. Everything you type in your url bar equates to everything you do on the web, which are your browsing habits

Really? I guess all that clicking and typing into other text boxes (like this one) has been entirely for naught.

Bezetos
Jun 29, 2012, 08:12 AM
Tabs? Speed dials? Everything? Yup. Opera first.
Well technically InternetWorks and the NetCaptor IE shell had tabs before Opera, but those weren't very popular browsers.

subsonix
Jun 29, 2012, 08:16 AM
Really? I guess all that clicking and typing into other text boxes (like this one) has been entirely for naught.

Not really sure what your point is, typing in this text box created a post on macrumors. :D

JohnDoe98
Jun 29, 2012, 08:17 AM
I just listed a lot of advantages that Chrome has, I'm not comparing it with Safari at all (although I personally think it's a lot better). I'm not going to waste my time explaining exactly why the UX is so great, it's my preference (quickly: ergonomics, unified search and address bar, minimal interface, tab management etc.); or finding you a source that Chrome is fast (seriously?).

When you talk about advantages you are making a comparative claim, that's the meaning of an advantage. If all you wanted to do was highlight features that Chrome offers, why did you respond to my request to know the advantages that Chrome offers over Safari? Perhaps you should have responded to someone else.

As for minimal interface, Safari in full screen pretty much shows me only the webpage and the address bar/search bar which will be unified in Safari 6. I don't see how you get anymore minimal than that. And the Tab management in ML looks amazing.

dog13000
Jun 29, 2012, 08:18 AM
I had been having this problem on the macbook pro retina...

I switched to the canary build and it went away. Also, canary is built with retina in mind (as has been reported numerous times).

Give it a shot air owners. I run into very few issues... no more than when I was running firefox.

Major.Robto
Jun 29, 2012, 08:21 AM
I am so happy I have a old macbook with the Intel graphics chip x3100!
Even if this computer is old and slow.

Glad I don't run out and buy the latest stuff,
How could a bug like this just slip out! its crazy!

oh well, what can you do?
Use firefox for the mean time, its better then safari and IE6,7,8,9

Even though firefox still leaks like crazy.....

Oletros
Jun 29, 2012, 08:22 AM

You do realize that you have demonstrated that you don't know what are you talking about, right?

nefan65
Jun 29, 2012, 08:24 AM
Well technically InternetWorks and the NetCaptor IE shell had tabs before Opera, but those weren't very popular browsers.

Actually, Mosaic started everything. :rolleyes:

DJLanglois
Jun 29, 2012, 08:25 AM
It is actually a relief to see this. I've had three lock-ups on my new Air. It's nice to know that it's not just me.

Hopefully it'll all be fixed soon.

CarbonCrew
Jun 29, 2012, 08:26 AM
I'm actually having these issues on my new MB Air. Last night I actually got the "Hold the power button for restart" message.

However, Chrome has not yet prompted me to update for the temporary fix. Anyone know what gives?

bearda
Jun 29, 2012, 08:29 AM
Not really sure what your point is, typing in this text box created a post on macrumors. :D

My point is that most interaction with the browser doesn't involve typing into the URL bar. I clicked on a bookmark, a couple links, typed a post, and didn't touch the URL bar once.

Bezetos
Jun 29, 2012, 08:31 AM
When you talk about advantages you are making a comparative claim, that's the meaning of an advantage. If all you wanted to do was highlight features that Chrome offers, why did you respond to my request to know the advantages that Chrome offers over Safari? Perhaps you should have responded to someone else.

As for minimal interface, Safari in full screen pretty much shows me only the webpage and the address bar/search bar which will be unified in Safari 6. I don't see how you get anymore minimal than that. And the Tab management in ML looks amazing.
An advantage can also be a comparative claim in the context in which it is used. In this case, the advantages I've listed are factors compared with "your average browser".

It's great to hear that Safari 6 is becoming more like Google Chrome. Safari is definitely improving, but at the time when I started using Chrome Safari was slower, had a clunkier interface, didn't like how the text-prediction worked in the adress bar, didn't use separate processes for each tab (still probably isn't using them), didn't have extensions (has them since 2010) etc. etc.

KnightWRX
Jun 29, 2012, 08:38 AM
Autocomplete, and search.

Let's recap, you called the guy wrong and stupid for saying "Chrome passes all your browsing habits to Google".

That's because Chrome doesn't pass your browsing habits. This is no different than using "Google Instant" in their search page. They've simply integrated it to their omnibar. :rolleyes:

And guess what, coming soon to a Safari near you :

http://www.macworld.com/article/1165466/mountain_lion_hands_on_with_safari.html
Those who favor the “one big search bar” approach to surfing the Web will be pleased to see that Safari’s toolbar has taken just that cue: The browser now sports a single lengthy field that can be used to type in a URL; pull up the top result in your selected search engine from a keyword; or search the Web, your bookmarks and history, or within the page itself. URLs themselves have taken on a slightly Chrome-esque look, automatically removing the “http://” at the beginning of the link and graying everything in the URL following the root domain.

So I'm guessing users who want to hide their deep dark secrets they type into omnibars won't be upgrading to Mountain Lion, right ? rrrrriiiight ? ;)

Again, Google mostly collects your browsing habits through Google Analytics. That's how they feed their ad targetting datasets. Google Analytics is set up by webmasters who use Google as an ad service. If you run a NoScript extension, you'll see about every page on the Internet has a <script> tag trying to execute some script off of analytics.google.com. Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, any browser just executes this, takes your "browsing habits" and sends them to Google.

Chrome is no different. The Omnibar is not evil. In fact, it's convenient. Firefox has the same "Google Instant" integration in their search bar. It does the same thing.

Pretty funny though that this thread is about a GPU driver bug in OS X that causes a Kernel Panic from userspace, yet people are oh so concerned about their privacy over using a public network. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. That bug could potentially be turned into a DoS or privilege escalation depending on the conditions that trigger. Being able to crash the kernel from userspace is not a good sign, this is a pretty serious bug in the Intel driver.

subsonix
Jun 29, 2012, 08:39 AM
My point is that most interaction with the browser doesn't involve typing into the URL bar. I clicked on a bookmark, a couple links, typed a post, and didn't touch the URL bar once.

Sure, depending on user habits and so on. But it should give a rough equivalence to the browsing history, at least in my case I find it much faster to type the first few letters in the url and let autocomplete do it's job. But you have a point.

tjb1
Jun 29, 2012, 08:43 AM
Cant believe all the people complaining about Chrome here and in the thread about it coming to iOS there is nothing but good. Ive been using Chrome for over 2 years now on my Mac with absolutely no problems...I have even moved to the Canary channel for a while because it was the one that had the gesture. (The Canary channel is the first channel that new features show up on, once stable they get pushed to the public-stable version)

Oletros
Jun 29, 2012, 08:45 AM

Apart of what the OP said, great multiplatform compatibility

KnightWRX
Jun 29, 2012, 08:51 AM
Cant believe all the people complaining about Chrome here

You'd think people who don't like or use Chrome would feel unconcerned and would just move on. It's curious how people take up arms and actively crusade against it. What's with the agenda ? Mystifying to say the least.

shurcooL
Jun 29, 2012, 08:51 AM
I agree that they need to make OS X more stable. I hope the sandboxing practices help.

Just yesterday I started playing a movie in VLC on my MBP and its interface became unresponsive. When I tried to Force Quit VLC, it wouldn't do anything - the video kept playing. At that point I tried shutting down OS X and it couldn't do that, so I had to resort to a hard reset.

I remember when Windows was like this, around the time of 98/XP when a single app could bring down the entire system. They've really made it much more robust since 7/8, so Apple should too. OS X rarely has problems for me, but when it does, they are embarrassingly serious.

KnightWRX
Jun 29, 2012, 08:53 AM
I agree that they need to make OS X more stable. I hope the sandboxing practices help.

Sandboxing doesn't help with these types of bug. Chrome would have asked and been granted a GPU usage entitlement and would have a valid GL rendering context and would still trigger the bug through the sandbox

jonnysods
Jun 29, 2012, 08:53 AM
I'm going to say that Chrome is a better browser than Safari. Way more speedy and light to use. And every time I use YouTube Safari can't handle the playback on my 2011 MBP.

Amazing Iceman
Jun 29, 2012, 08:55 AM
That explains why Chrome would drain the RAM on my MBP (older model) after just opening a few pages, and not give it back after closing.
And that's besides making my MBP run slower.

In Safari's case, I found the problem to be with Javascript. Website with lots of Javascript would drain the RAM on my MBP fairly quickly. Disabling Javascript makes a huge difference, but we still need to use it.

Daveoc64
Jun 29, 2012, 08:56 AM
Something people just don't realise and that is never picked up on by the press is how potentially insecure drivers are.

Graphics drivers in particular are written with performance in mind - they don't have time to check whether the programmer is trying to crash the computer.

I don't imagine that Google has rushed out any new graphics code for the Intel HD 4000 series on Mac OS X, so it's more likely that something they've been using on other GPUs in Mac OS X doesn't work with the current driver.

Apple's approach to GPU updates is really quite poor, especially for Intel GPUs.

Mistrblank
Jun 29, 2012, 08:58 AM
My google chrome browser as of yesterday stopped loading any page. It loads the window but I always get their ohsoclever "Aw, snap" broken page for every attempt to load a page now on my Windows 7 machine.

It's been failing consistently as Firefox has recently. Time to move on, probably to safari on Windows.

ZMacintosh
Jun 29, 2012, 09:03 AM
They're doing away with Flash; Chrome are you next?/sarcasm

I've actually preferred this over FireFox, though I do like the Safari as its improved havent had any issues with our other machines yet

Taz Mangus
Jun 29, 2012, 09:06 AM
I'll go back to Safari when they bring back tabs on top.

It was a little depressing to know that Safari is the only major browser that doesn't have a feature I love, but it was only after I saw the ugly (http://cl.ly/EkRL), hideous (http://cl.ly/ElHO) beta of Safari 5.2 that I ran for the hills.

Dramatic much?

KnightWRX
Jun 29, 2012, 09:07 AM
They're doing away with Flash; Chrome are you next?/sarcasm

Uh ? What does Adobe have to do with Chrome ?

efrank772
Jun 29, 2012, 09:34 AM
Yup, I was using my new Air last night and it came up with a "System Error- Force Restart" 2 times. On the bright side, LOVE Chrome on iOS!

emwgradstudent
Jun 29, 2012, 09:44 AM
Interesting. I have had similar problems with Chrome on my 15" MacBook Pro. The graphics of Chrome cause the computer to switch between the Intel and AMD graphics repeatedly and lead to kernel panics. I uninstalled Chrome and have been using Safari without problem.

BTW, the use of two graphics cars is one of the stupidest decisions. You can always tell when the computer switches because the fans really kick in and the thing gets very hot.

MarkBubba
Jun 29, 2012, 09:56 AM
How about Internet Explorer 9 for Mac? Then it could crash ALL the time!!

roadbloc
Jun 29, 2012, 09:57 AM
How about Internet Explorer 9 for Mac? Then it could crash ALL the time!!

Yeah. Just like Office 2011 does- oh wait, it doesn't.

KnightWRX
Jun 29, 2012, 09:58 AM
BTW, the use of two graphics cars is one of the stupidest decisions. You can always tell when the computer switches because the fans really kick in and the thing gets very hot.

Yeah, it's so very stupid to offer extended battery life when you don't need GPU power, and very good performance when you do. All because a "fan kicks in". *sigh*.

Hattig
Jun 29, 2012, 10:11 AM
GG.

And that's why, you don't use Google software. ;);)

Bugs will always occur in software. It's just that this bug exposed an even bigger critical bug within Mac OS X.

As it's only happing with the HD4000, it's likely to be an issue within some graphics driver code that Intel has supplied Apple for incorporation within Mac OS X.

chanyitian
Jun 29, 2012, 10:14 AM
Oh no. Hope it get fixed before my macbook air arrives.

psykick5
Jun 29, 2012, 10:29 AM
This happened twice on my rMBP yesterday while set to integrated.

boomish
Jun 29, 2012, 10:30 AM

errr are you saying Apple wouldn't beta test a laptop with ground breaking new graphics with one of the worlds biggest Internet Browsers? or games or video editing software..?

na you right why should they, they probably just package it up and only run Apple software saying it'll be fine as it goes out the door :)

mono1980
Jun 29, 2012, 10:40 AM
I'd rather suffer crashes than use Safari.

That's the stupidest comment of the day.

303aegiszx
Jun 29, 2012, 10:45 AM
That's the stupidest comment of the day.

Not really.

Safari is TERRIBLE. It's absolutely the worst excuse for browser. Honestly, if I could kill any browser first, it'd be Safari.

Chrome is light years ahead of Safari. There's a reason why it's one of the top browsers, whereas Safari has very little market share.

Do you understand now? Safari, is a POS. I cannot take anyone who uses it seriously.

Joesg
Jun 29, 2012, 10:48 AM
I'm glad this problem was addressed. My 2.7 ghz Retina MBP has crashed several times under chrome and it's good to know that it's not just my model.

Chrome is the only browser other than Safari that supports HiDPI mode (in other words, not looking awful on the 2880x1800 display), so it's depressing to hear its having problems. I used to be a Firefox user but I can't stand browsing with a pixelated mess anymore.

Has anyone else had problems with the switching between the Intel HD 4000 and the Nvidia GT 650M? I'm currently running on battery with no graphics intensive programs active but the GT 650M is in use as my GPU instead of the HD 4000 (in other words my battery is being drained keeping the discrete graphics alive instead of using the integrated GPU).

yg17
Jun 29, 2012, 10:51 AM
Chrome works flawlessly on my rMBP.

Safari may look pretty on the retina screen, but I hate it. It's a terrible browser. I'll stick with Chrome and the crappy scaled graphics, and wait for them to update it with retina support. The Chrome Canary alpha with retina support looks superb.

Joesg
Jun 29, 2012, 10:52 AM
Chrome works flawlessly on my rMBP.

Safari may look pretty on the retina screen, but I hate it. It's a terrible browser. I'll stick with Chrome and the crappy scaled graphics, and wait for them to update it with retina support. The Chrome Canary alpha with retina support looks superb.

Why not just use Chrome Canary instead of the terrible scaled graphics?

yg17
Jun 29, 2012, 11:07 AM
Why not just use Chrome Canary instead of the terrible scaled graphics?

It can't be set as the default browser. And most of the time my rMBP is connected to an external monitor, so I can wait until it's no longer alpha.

Sackvillenb
Jun 29, 2012, 11:25 AM
I've neer cared for chrome that much. That being said, although Ive always like safari, that app seems to be getting more inefficient for me. Used to very fast, and in general it still is, but whenever I open it now it makes my hard drive go crazy for a while...?

sunspot42
Jun 29, 2012, 11:39 AM
I've got a new PC with the same Intel HD4000 graphics, and I've been getting frequent BSOD while running Chrome. I thought maybe there was a problem with the motherboard or some of my drivers, but now I wonder if this Chrome issue isn't just confined to the Mac...

brdeveloper
Jun 29, 2012, 11:44 AM

Poorly-coded trivial apps can be poorly-coded because there is much less work involved on its development. A 11-year OS (discounting the previous BSD evolution in the 90's) should be more kernel-panic-proof these days.

----------

I've got a new PC with the same Intel HD4000 graphics, and I've been getting frequent BSOD while running Chrome. I thought maybe there was a problem with the motherboard or some of my drivers, but now I wonder if this Chrome issue isn't just confined to the Mac...

Maybe a hardware bug in the HD4000. Hopefully Intel will provide a driver which works around the issue. The good part is that the issue is affecting a lot of users. I remember when I had nVidia graphics cards that crashed in particular configurations/drivers and I'd never got any solution for years.

AlexH
Jun 29, 2012, 12:17 PM
Not really. You can only be average and still be the best if everyone is equally good. What he really meant was the Safari was maybe "unremarkable", not "average". If the alternatives either suck or are weird, then "average" would mean "it half sucks and is half weird", which was not what the original poster meant. :D
If everyone is equally good how are you the "best"? Rethink...

----------

No you can't, I think you might not quite understand what "average" means. In fact the only way the average can also be the best is if all entries are identical. Then the average is also the maximum and also the minimum.

Perhaps it will show up in other applications. If it's a rarely-used function then perhaps few other applications would exhibit this behaviour.

Ah, I miss Classic.
Not exactly... I don't think you understand what is being stated. If all entries are identical, there will not be a best. I am speaking as a general principle.

John.B
Jun 29, 2012, 12:26 PM
And that, folks, is why Adobe couldn't be trusted with low-level video hardware access for Flash (or anything else, for that matter).

And, in a bit of Schadenfreude, I noticed Adobe finally gave up on Flash for Android installs (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/29/adobe-to-end-new-installs-of-flash-on-android-as-of-august-15/).

Shantanu Narayen has been a disaster for the great company Adobe once was. The Macromedia deal was a fiasco, but he still refuses to let go of it. I wish he would resign so Adobe that could get back to the stuff that made them great.

raweden
Jun 29, 2012, 12:26 PM
Quoted from the article.
We have identified a leak of graphics resources in the Chrome browser related to the drawing of plugins on Mac OS X.

So it's a flash player related issue? xD

deannnnn
Jun 29, 2012, 12:31 PM
I love Chrome, but I haven't been using it on my new rMBP because it's not updated for Retina yet.

Daveoc64
Jun 29, 2012, 12:32 PM
And that, folks, is why Adobe couldn't be trusted with low-level video hardware access for Flash (or anything else, for that matter).

You don't understand what you're talking about.

KnightWRX
Jun 29, 2012, 01:02 PM

Uh ? I don't think you understand exactly what is at issue here. Chrome does not do "low-level video hardware access" that should crash your OS. It runs from userspace and accesses hardware through exposed userspace APIs (namely OpenGL).

Adobe did finally get a userspace API to use video decoding hardware, the VDA framework.

If Apple writes its kernel drivers and exposes APIs, it better damn well make sure that input coming from userspace is validated and sanitized before being executed on the hardware or fed into kernel structures.

the8thark
Jun 29, 2012, 01:07 PM
This is yet another reason I won't be using chrome any time soon.

I steer clear from anything google (apart from gmail for spam, I use @me for my actual email I care about). Because I don't trust google's security statements and how they deal with security of data. This freezing of chrome is just another nail in the coffin for me.

KnightWRX
Jun 29, 2012, 01:16 PM
So it's a flash player related issue? xD

Not really. They're probably talking about Quartz Composer plugins they wrote to do the rendering of websites to the NSView in Chrome.

----------

This freezing of chrome is just another nail in the coffin for me.

So an Apple kernel bug is a nail in the coffin of the app ? I don't get it. :confused:

This is a flaw in Apple's kernel code. It's not Chrome that's freezing, it's the OS that is panicing.

chagla
Jun 29, 2012, 03:12 PM
give opera browser a try.
\
www.opera.com

it's Scandinavian. so it has to be good. ;)

pooprscooper
Jun 29, 2012, 03:23 PM
This is neither a Google or Apple problem. This is shotty Intel graphics drivers causing a Kernel Panic. Graphics drivers are notorious for causing kernel panics/BSODs. Intel really needs to step up their driver development; they're not much better on Windows.

As with OSX, if you force use of a discreet graphics card instead, you should be able to run smoothly till Intel updates their drivers.

Watabou
Jun 29, 2012, 03:23 PM

May I ask why? What are you really missing in Firefox 13?

Anyways, Firefox has been incredibly stable for me these past rapid releases. Much more improvement has been gone into memory management so much so that Firefox uses MUCH less memory than Chrome and it seems so much faster as a result as well. Give Firefox another try. I'm using the bleeding edge version (Firefox 16 UX) and for a pre-alpha version, it is super fast, and most surprisingly, it's so stable. Plus it has Lion goodies like the Lion scrollbars and Fullscreen.

Opera is also another solid offering. I tried Opera 12 and the only thing preventing me really from switching to Opera is the lack of any alternatives to Firefox's amazing array of addons.

I don't really see the appeal of Chrome. I keep it if I want to watch flash videos since I don't like to install Flash on my system and to me, Chrome is much less configurable than either Firefox or Opera and I really don't like some of it's weird quirks.

macnerd93
Jun 29, 2012, 03:55 PM
Lol "same underpinnings" Chrome uses a custom version of WebKit, Chrome added the seperate thread archeticture that WebKit 2 ripped off, and Chrome's V8 beats the pants off all other browsers, stop acting like you understand any of this when you clearly don't.

maybe you should stop acting all big and clever. I don't care about Chrome and the fact of the matter is Chrome is still based on the webkit engine. Deny it as much as you want, but it is in essence the same thing as what Safari is based on. Sure, its been changed by Google etc., but its still based off webkit technologies. Just like you can customise, modify, change and increase the performance of a car as much as you like, but its still gonna be the same make, model and year at the end of the day.

I didn't mean it in the sense of "Chrome is based off webkit, therefore it is 100% identical to Safari, I know there are differences" You just obviously jumped to a conclusion.

I just put my previous comment in a more general context and I stand by it. In that it does have the similar underpinnings to Safari as its based on the same open source project. Whereas IE on the other hand is based on Trident, which I would agree is different, because it is a totally different layout engine.

From my experience chrome is no faster than the nightly builds of webkit what I use. These nightly builds just fly when everything is fully cached in and its great.

The only other browser I use is Firefox for the better optimised 3D support for my 3D display. Safari for whatever reason simply refuses to load into 3D mode, Firefox does it with ease.

I bet you don't remember what IE Macintosh edition was like. Mac OS 8.6 crashed constantly with it and everyone blamed the OS, the browser was discovered to have been the culprit though.

And you really don't know anything about me, what I do or anything. So who are you to prejudge me?

marcusj0015
Jun 29, 2012, 04:50 PM
maybe you should stop acting all big and clever. I don't care about Chrome and the fact of the matter is Chrome is still based on the webkit engine. Deny it as much as you want, but it is in essence the same thing as what Safari is based on. Sure, its been changed by Google etc., but its still based off webkit technologies. Just like you can customise, modify, change and increase the performance of a car as much as you like, but its still gonna be the same make, model and year at the end of the day.

I didn't mean it in the sense of "Chrome is based off webkit, therefore it is 100% identical to Safari, I know there are differences" You just obviously jumped to a conclusion.

I just put my previous comment in a more general context and I stand by it. In that it does have the similar underpinnings to Safari as its based on the same open source project. Whereas IE on the other hand is based on Trident, which I would agree is different, because it is a totally different layout engine.

From my experience chrome is no faster than the nightly builds of webkit what I use. These nightly builds just fly when everything is fully cached in and its great.

The only other browser I use is Firefox for the better optimised 3D support for my 3D display. Safari for whatever reason simply refuses to load into 3D mode, Firefox does it with ease.

I bet you don't remember what IE Macintosh edition was like. Mac OS 8.6 crashed constantly with it and everyone blamed the OS, the browser was discovered to have been the culprit though.

And you really don't know anything about me, what I do or anything. So who are you to prejudge me?

I'm not acting all "big and clever" I'm merely presenting reality, if you don't like it, file a complaint with God or the Universe or whatever you believe in.

faroZ06
Jun 29, 2012, 04:55 PM
Geez, because it's so hard to just disable the plugin :

Or make it on demand :

Yep, let's just call Chrome wasteful instead of useful. Safari running Flash has the same problem. :rolleyes:

Did you think I was comparing Chrome running Flash to Safari not running Flash? I was comparing the Flash component in Chrome to the one in other browsers, and then I compared Chrome and Safari idling (no Flash).

----------

Not in my experience. On my late 2006 iMac 24' running Snow Leopard, Safari and Firefox are slower than a slow motion replay of a snail race during the Siberian mid-winter championships.
Chrome just works.

Something must be wrong. I actually have the same iMac as you but a different OS (Leopard).

wordoflife
Jun 29, 2012, 05:54 PM
May I ask why? What are you really missing in Firefox 13?

Anyways, Firefox has been incredibly stable for me these past rapid releases. Much more improvement has been gone into memory management so much so that Firefox uses MUCH less memory than Chrome and it seems so much faster as a result as well. Give Firefox another try. I'm using the bleeding edge version (Firefox 16 UX) and for a pre-alpha version, it is super fast, and most surprisingly, it's so stable. Plus it has Lion goodies like the Lion scrollbars and Fullscreen.

Opera is also another solid offering. I tried Opera 12 and the only thing preventing me really from switching to Opera is the lack of any alternatives to Firefox's amazing array of addons.

I don't really see the appeal of Chrome. I keep it if I want to watch flash videos since I don't like to install Flash on my system and to me, Chrome is much less configurable than either Firefox or Opera and I really don't like some of it's weird quirks.

It's not really that. Firefox used to be the best thing back in the day and that's why I liked using it. It was better than anything else.

But version 3.0 and onwards has just been the same, and I'm really starting to appreciate features in other browsers such as top sites (i know the latest version of FF has it, but they got around to it way longer after everyone else), reading list (safari), and the ability to sync bookmarks (chrome, safari).

It's also the small things. When you have a lot of tabs open, the actual tab gets smaller. Subseqeuntly, the the 'X" button to close the tab changes position. In Chrome, when you have a lot of tabs open and you want to close a lot of them at the same time, you keep pressing the "x" on the tab, but the tab size won't resize until you move your mouse away. On FF, you have to keep moving the mouse to close the tab.

It's hard to explain.

Watabou
Jun 29, 2012, 06:52 PM
It's not really that. Firefox used to be the best thing back in the day and that's why I liked using it. It was better than anything else.

But version 3.0 and onwards has just been the same, and I'm really starting to appreciate features in other browsers such as top sites (i know the latest version of FF has it, but they got around to it way longer after everyone else), reading list (safari), and the ability to sync bookmarks (chrome, safari).

It's also the small things. When you have a lot of tabs open, the actual tab gets smaller. Subseqeuntly, the the 'X" button to close the tab changes position. In Chrome, when you have a lot of tabs open and you want to close a lot of them at the same time, you keep pressing the "x" on the tab, but the tab size won't resize until you move your mouse away. On FF, you have to keep moving the mouse to close the tab.

It's hard to explain.

I can respect that. We have our own preferences.

I can't help but give a little tip though, for you or anybody else: there is a popular addon for Firefox called TabMixPlus that alleviates a lot of tab management problems and you can specify that you always want the x to show and you can even specify where you want it to show (left, right etc).

Ultimately, browsers come down to what we like to use though. I really like Firefox's customizability, security with noscript and adblock(which is better than Chrome's adblock) and the tab groups feature which is really like expose for tabs.

KnightWRX
Jun 29, 2012, 06:58 PM
Did you think I was comparing Chrome running Flash to Safari not running Flash? I was comparing the Flash component in Chrome to the one in other browsers, and then I compared Chrome and Safari idling (no Flash).

Then there's something wrong with your computer. Chrome does not misbehave on mine moreso than Safari. It doesn't drain the battery more than Safari. It doesn't use idle CPU cycles doing nothing more than Safari.

wordoflife
Jun 29, 2012, 11:08 PM
I can respect that. We have our own preferences.

I can't help but give a little tip though, for you or anybody else: there is a popular addon for Firefox called TabMixPlus that alleviates a lot of tab management problems and you can specify that you always want the x to show and you can even specify where you want it to show (left, right etc).

Ultimately, browsers come down to what we like to use though. I really like Firefox's customizability, security with noscript and adblock(which is better than Chrome's adblock) and the tab groups feature which is really like expose for tabs.

I totally agree with what you say about Firefox regarding security options and customizability. Don't get me wrong ... I still use Firefox daily. I use it for checking email, school related websites and my bank account. For my more engaging activities - "social/fun" stuff, like MR, Youtube, fb, image-board websites (hehe),games, etc ... I use Chrome. Plus I don't want my silly stuff to get mixed in with my important stuff so that's why I use different browsers. I know I can just use different profiles on Chrome but mehh. After all, i still like FF.

BTW thanks for the tip. You understood exactly what I was trying to explain, lol.

CountSessine
Jun 30, 2012, 02:32 AM
I've had plenty of crashes of the GPU drivers under windows 7 and they have not resulted in blue screens, the only way I blue screen my PC is if I overclock it to far.

That's odd. Assuming that you're not talking about some user-space driver component crashing, I would guess that you're seeing the Windows equivalent of a kernel 'oops'. What does that look like in Windows?

Weather its window or OS X, no program should be crashing the OS. Especially under OS X as apple controls the drivers, in a closed environment.

Yes - in the Mac world, the buck stops at Apple. Whether the bug is deep in NVidia's core driver logic, or some Apple-written interfacing logic, it's Apple's responsibility to get this sorted.

YGAB
Jun 30, 2012, 04:44 AM
i'd like to know if Google developers intentionally wrote a code that f**ks with Macs, or vice versa.

spazzcat
Jun 30, 2012, 05:35 AM
errr are you saying Apple wouldn't beta test a laptop with ground breaking new graphics with one of the worlds biggest Internet Browsers? or games or video editing software..?

na you right why should they, they probably just package it up and only run Apple software saying it'll be fine as it goes out the door :)

Apple isn't going to take the time to test third party software, that isn't their job. That is Googles job once the new hardware come out. Apple will test their stuff and that is it. And even if they did test it, they aren't going to call Google and say hey we have this new system coming out and you need to fix this this and this.

KnightWRX
Jun 30, 2012, 06:15 AM
i'd like to know if Google developers intentionally wrote a code that f**ks with Macs, or vice versa.

If your userspace code can f**ks with Macs' kernel space code, it's the kernel that's at fault, not the Google or any other 3rd party developers.

----------

Apple isn't going to take the time to test third party software, that isn't their job. That is Googles job once the new hardware come out. Apple will test their stuff and that is it. And even if they did test it, they aren't going to call Google and say hey we have this new system coming out and you need to fix this this and this.

Why would they call Google to fix a kernel bug in the GPU driver stack ?

Google's bug in their Chrome unearthed a Kernel bug. That is why the system is panicking. If the Kernel didn't have the bug, Chrome would just leak memory and eventually crash on its own, not with the entire system.

In a modern OS (or heck, just in Unix in general since well Unix has been around), userspace code can't take down the system unless there's a flaw in the system.

AidenShaw
Jun 30, 2012, 11:50 AM
That's odd. Assuming that you're not talking about some user-space driver component crashing, I would guess that you're seeing the Windows equivalent of a kernel 'oops'. What does that look like in Windows?

It looks like the screen freezes for a few seconds, then flashes to black and refreshes, along with a popup message that the display driver has been restarted.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480220.aspx

At a technical level, WDDM display drivers have two components, a kernel mode driver (KMD) that is very streamlined, and a user-mode driver that does most of the intense computations. With this model, most of the code is moved out of kernel mode. That is, the kernel mode piece is now solely responsible for lower-level functionality and the user mode piece takes on heavier functionality such as facilitating the translation from higher-level API constructs to direct GPU commands while maintaining application compatibility. This greatly reduces the chance of a fatal blue screen and most graphics driver-related problems result in at worst one application being affected.

WDDM also provides fault-tolerance against display driver hangs. This enables Windows Vista to detect system hangs and restart the display driver again without the need of a system reboot.

Additionally, display drivers in Windows Vista have been significantly simplified by eliminating the need to include code for the support of various device driver interfaces introduced over many years. Thus, Windows Vista implements only a single interface while ensuring that all the older drivers are recognized and function optimally.

Note that Windows can upgrade, unload, restart or reload the kernel portion of the driver without needing a reboot. That's what the "fault-tolerance" statement means - hung kernel drivers can be restarted.

subsonix
Jun 30, 2012, 12:31 PM
Note that Windows can upgrade, unload, restart or reload the kernel portion of the driver without needing a reboot.

The same is true on OS X with kexts.

AidenShaw
Jun 30, 2012, 04:33 PM
The same is true on OS X with kexts.

Thanks for the additional info - I didn't mean to knock OSX on this point, but wanted to mention that Windows can restart and reload kernel components without needing a reboot.

(It seems that many here on the forum still assume that Windows 7 works just like Windows 95 ;) .)

faroZ06
Jun 30, 2012, 04:46 PM
Then there's something wrong with your computer. Chrome does not misbehave on mine moreso than Safari. It doesn't drain the battery more than Safari. It doesn't use idle CPU cycles doing nothing more than Safari.

Well by "idle" I meant on a webpage, not just with 0 windows open. Flash in Chrome seems to just use more CPU but not a crazy amount. Also, it runs 3 or so processes.

----------

Something is wrong with the OS or the hardware if an application is causing system-wide crashing. I blame Google if a mistake on their part triggered this, but either Apple, Intel, or both are at fault for allowing it to happen.

AidenShaw
Jun 30, 2012, 05:06 PM
Well by "idle" I meant on a webpage, not just with 0 windows open. Flash in Chrome seems to just use more CPU but not a crazy amount. Also, it runs 3 or so processes.

That's actually a good thing - those "extra" processes are most likely the sandboxes for protection.

And, a few extra processes mean nothing on modern systems - my Win7 workstation right now has 133 processes and 1813 threads, and I'm not doing much of anything.

Note also that many tools don't make it easy to determine shared resources - so 10 processes each using 500 MiB of RAM might only be using a total of 550 MiB of RAM if most of it is shared.

This is especially true of "process per tab" browsers, since only one in-memory copy of the browser executable code is needed, but tools may show the total private+shared for each process and mislead one into thinking that the memory usage is far greater than it actually is.

Something is wrong with the OS or the hardware if an application is causing system-wide crashing.

I blame Google if a mistake on their part triggered this, but either Apple, Intel, or both are at fault for allowing it to happen.

Your first and second sentences contradict one another.

Userland code should *never* be able to panic the OS - by definition that's a defect in the OS. It's Apple's fault, even if Chrome or Facebook or Adobe or Microsoft software happens to set up the conditions that cause Apple OSX to panic.

And by standard OEM contracts, it is Apple's fault even if the root cause is an Intel defect (hardware or reference software).

Again, Apple users are the beta testers because of Apple's passion for secrecy. Don't you think that had a significant number of "real users" been beta testers for these systems that someone would have noticed that using one of the top three browsers caused the system to stumble and crash?

faroZ06
Jun 30, 2012, 05:55 PM
That's actually a good thing - those "extra" processes are most likely the sandboxes for protection.

And, a few extra processes mean nothing on modern systems - my Win7 workstation right now has 133 processes and 1813 threads, and I'm not doing much of anything.

Note also that many tools don't make it easy to determine shared resources - so 10 processes each using 500 MiB of RAM might only be using a total of 550 MiB of RAM if most of it is shared.

This is especially true of "process per tab" browsers, since only one in-memory copy of the browser executable code is needed, but tools may show the total private+shared for each process and mislead one into thinking that the memory usage is far greater than it actually is.

Your first and second sentences contradict one another.

Userland code should *never* be able to panic the OS - by definition that's a defect in the OS. It's Apple's fault, even if Chrome or Facebook or Adobe or Microsoft software happens to set up the conditions that cause Apple OSX to panic.

And by standard OEM contracts, it is Apple's fault even if the root cause is an Intel defect (hardware or reference software).

Again, Apple users are the beta testers because of Apple's passion for secrecy. Don't you think that had a significant number of "real users" been beta testers for these systems that someone would have noticed that using one of the top three browsers caused the system to stumble and crash?

The extra processes use up RAM and CPU though. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to have them, but they use more resources combined than Safari does.

Also, I know it's Apple's fault if a user app crashes the OS, but I have to put some blame on Google for making a browser that does that, just like you'd have to blame the maker of a virus if the virus messes up Windows even though Windows is what let it happen. There are a lot of apps, and Chrome is the only thing that does this.

Renzatic
Jun 30, 2012, 06:06 PM
Also, I know it's technically Apple's fault if a user app crashes the OS, but I have to put some blame on Google for making a browser that does that, just like you'd have to blame the maker of a virus if the virus messes up Windows even though Windows is what let it happen.

That's somewhat similar to saying "I know it's technically the manufacturer's fault for making a bucket with a holes in it, but you have to at least put some blame on Johnny for trying to fill it with water".

It's a bug that needs to be fixed. Plain and simple as that.

AidenShaw
Jun 30, 2012, 07:11 PM
The extra processes use up RAM and CPU though. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to have them, but they use more resources combined than Safari does.

I actually said the opposite - a process that is mostly shared memory uses very little additional RAM, and an idle process uses no CPU.

Understand what your system tools are telling you.

Also, I know it's technically Apple's fault if a user app crashes the OS

That's the crux of the matter - it's Apple's fault. Period. Plain and simple. No need for "wishy-washy" words like "technically".

It's a flaw in Apple OSx. Period. Plain and simple.

Fishcake21
Jun 30, 2012, 07:13 PM
This is definitely an OSX problem for a few reasons.

Since last month, Chrome has been using integrated graphics option on macbook pros that carries a dedicated card so it won't be using extra battery power and issues with switching gpus.

Chrome probably takes advantage of that integrated hd3000 to increase the smoothness, etc. using GPU acceleration, I guess they do this by an API level based on the bug report.

Now pitting in with a new type of integrated graphics (because it occurs with newer macbook pros using hd 4000), there are issues because of hardware calls from Chrome that requires use of the GPU acceleration and its a mismatch.

Other OSes I guess have their own issues or even won't allow it to happen, but OSX just panics if it deems illegal to perform.

This is not the first time it happens with chrome but various of software whenever they are calling for APIS or certain use of the hardware and you have revisions changes from hardware to kernel extensions.

It is clearly apple's own fault at this. Much like the issue with Steam games needed full resources...

And its a shame too because Chrome is very smoother with such GPU accelerations.

nonamelive
Jun 30, 2012, 09:36 PM
Chrome sucks on Mac but rocks on Windows.

AidenShaw
Jun 30, 2012, 10:11 PM
This is definitely an OSX problem for a few reasons.

Since last month, Chrome has been using integrated graphics option on macbook pros that carries a dedicated card so it won't be using extra battery power and issues with switching gpus.

Chrome probably takes advantage of that integrated hd3000 to increase the smoothness, etc. using GPU acceleration, I guess they do this by an API level based on the bug report.

Now pitting in with a new type of integrated graphics (because it occurs with newer macbook pros using hd 4000), there are issues because of hardware calls from Chrome that requires use of the GPU acceleration and its a mismatch.

In other words, Apple screwed up the APIs that expose GPU acceleration for the HD4000.

That's what happens when you don't beta test new systems.

Love the Apple fans trying to spin this as some nefarious Google plot, when it's simply Apple's "quality assurance" group having another epic fail.

faroZ06
Jun 30, 2012, 11:25 PM
That's somewhat similar to saying "I know it's technically the manufacturer's fault for making a bucket with a holes in it, but you have to at least put some blame on Johnny for trying to fill it with water".

It's a bug that needs to be fixed. Plain and simple as that.

You do have to blame Johnny for filling a bucket with holes in it with water... If I know that doing something will mess up my computer, I'm not going to do it. Apple allows its users to do sudo rm -rf /* of course.

----------

That's the crux of the matter - it's Apple's fault. Period. Plain and simple. No need for "wishy-washy" words like "technically".

It's a flaw in Apple OSx. Period. Plain and simple.

Actually, I was wrong. It's not technically Apple's fault. Both Apple and Google did something wrong, and Chrome is the only thing that I've ever seen doing this. It's also a bit of a hog.

Oletros
Jul 1, 2012, 01:51 AM
Actually, I was wrong. It's not technically Apple's fault. Both Apple and Google did something wrong, and Chrome is the only thing that I've ever seen doing this. It's also a bit of a hog.

In Apple forums there are reports of the same KP when using different programs so technically it is Apple's fault

KnightWRX
Jul 1, 2012, 06:40 AM
double.

KnightWRX
Jul 1, 2012, 06:50 AM

Processes don't really result in CPU overhead. 3 processes vs 1 process is a bunch of kernel entries for the processes and that's it. For the scheduler, it creates what is called "a drop in the ocean" type of impact.

And now we're back to Flash. So back to my original comment. Disable or make Flash on demand and Chrome won't use more CPU. That was my whole point when I replied to you the first time, you said "but it's not about Flash!" then you came back and say it is.

Which is it ? Safari vs Chrome idling on a Webpage. It is about Flash or not ? Because just siting there, Safari vs Chrome, both are equally draining the battery and equaling using the CPU. Don't change the variables on me everytime you post, that's just insane and can't ever lead to proper discussion.

Something is wrong with the OS or the hardware if an application is causing system-wide crashing. I blame Google if a mistake on their part triggered this, but either Apple, Intel, or both are at fault for allowing it to happen.

Blaming Google for what ? Bugs in software happen all the time, Apple's own is riddled with it, hence all the patches they put out. Software on the scale both Google and Apple write will always have tons of bugs that are triggered by edge conditions not trapped by unit tests in Q&A. There's just no way to account for all the variables all the time. Sometimes, a condition may never even be triggered for the entire life of the software.

Both Apple and Google did something wrong, and Chrome is the only thing that I've ever seen doing this. It's also a bit of a hog.

You keep saying Chrome is a hog, but everyone that switched to Chrome did so because of the contrary : it's blazingly fast and light. What do you feel Chrome hogs exactly ?

Looking at Chrome's task manager (yes, Chrome provides its own) you can see the break down :

As you can see, very very little CPU is being used. Memory is also quite low on the browser itself, it's the tabs which contain heavy Web 2.0 code (Facebook/Gmail) that are more memory heavy since these tend to dynamically load and reload a ton of stuff in the background, but then again, total seems to be low for a modern browser (I've seen Safari use Gigabytes of memory).

Also notice how the Flash plugin is missing. It is enabled though. Chrome only loads it if a web page asks for it. So just by virtue of Flash being there, it's not using any ressources at all. Making it completely on-demand with FlashBlock prevents it from loading unless you want to on top. So you can't even use that to say "Chrome is a hog".

Again, the more you talk about this, the more I'm thinking there's either something very wrong with your computer, or you just don't understand modern OSes and how they work exactly. Hence I'm left puzzled by how you think you are tooled to even be making the claims you are making.

faroZ06
Jul 1, 2012, 10:48 AM
Processes don't really result in CPU overhead. 3 processes vs 1 process is a bunch of kernel entries for the processes and that's it. For the scheduler, it creates what is called "a drop in the ocean" type of impact.

And now we're back to Flash. So back to my original comment. Disable or make Flash on demand and Chrome won't use more CPU. That was my whole point when I replied to you the first time, you said "but it's not about Flash!" then you came back and say it is.

Which is it ? Safari vs Chrome idling on a Webpage. It is about Flash or not ? Because just siting there, Safari vs Chrome, both are equally draining the battery and equaling using the CPU. Don't change the variables on me everytime you post, that's just insane and can't ever lead to proper discussion.

Blaming Google for what ? Bugs in software happen all the time, Apple's own is riddled with it, hence all the patches they put out. Software on the scale both Google and Apple write will always have tons of bugs that are triggered by edge conditions not trapped by unit tests in Q&A. There's just no way to account for all the variables all the time. Sometimes, a condition may never even be triggered for the entire life of the software.

You keep saying Chrome is a hog, but everyone that switched to Chrome did so because of the contrary : it's blazingly fast and light. What do you feel Chrome hogs exactly ?

Looking at Chrome's task manager (yes, Chrome provides its own) you can see the break down :

As you can see, very very little CPU is being used. Memory is also quite low on the browser itself, it's the tabs which contain heavy Web 2.0 code (Facebook/Gmail) that are more memory heavy since these tend to dynamically load and reload a ton of stuff in the background, but then again, total seems to be low for a modern browser (I've seen Safari use Gigabytes of memory).

Also notice how the Flash plugin is missing. It is enabled though. Chrome only loads it if a web page asks for it. So just by virtue of Flash being there, it's not using any ressources at all. Making it completely on-demand with FlashBlock prevents it from loading unless you want to on top. So you can't even use that to say "Chrome is a hog".

Again, the more you talk about this, the more I'm thinking there's either something very wrong with your computer, or you just don't understand modern OSes and how they work exactly. Hence I'm left puzzled by how you think you are tooled to even be making the claims you are making.

Flash in Chrome is more CPU-intensive than Flash on other browsers. It just uses more for some reason. Disabling Flash will sure use less CPU, but that is not an option if you want to view Flash. Oh, and it sometimes randomly pauses YouTube videos for some reason (on my computer, my brother's, my friend's, and others).

And you call that low RAM usage??? I don't think I've ever used that much RAM in Safari before. Actually, this could be from the OS throwing more RAM at it because more is available, which it does. I have 1GB of RAM, so I'm assuming you have more since this is the weakest MacBook. The real test is to open the same number of tabs on each browser on the same computer with no extensions with nothing else running. I tried that a few times, and Chrome always used more.