PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my new MBA 11"

Mirari
Jun 28, 2012, 11:37 PM
Hey y'all i just got my MBA and i am frigging loving it. The only thing i don't enjoy is the small Hard drive space. Is there anyway to upgrade the hard drive? if there is where do i get a new SSD and how easy is it to install?

GGJstudios
Jun 28, 2012, 11:45 PM
Hey y'all i just got my MBA and i am frigging loving it. The only thing i don't enjoy is the small Hard drive space. Is there anyway to upgrade the hard drive? if there is where do i get a new SSD and how easy is it to install?
MBAs don't have hard drives. They have flash storage.

RocketRed
Jun 28, 2012, 11:49 PM
There's no way to upgrade the Solid-State Drive for 2012 Macbook yet. But I assume OWC, the makers of Macbook Solid State Drives, will make one for the 2012 Macbook Air in the near future.

It shouldn't be too hard, as OWC has video and text tutorial for installing SS-Drives.

I recommend upgrading the drive near the end of your Macbook's warranty or after, as changing SSD can void warranty.

KPOM
Jun 28, 2012, 11:51 PM

If you just bought the 2012 and are still inside the return window the best option may be to take it back and get one with a larger SSD.

Mirari
Jun 29, 2012, 12:19 AM
sorry i should have been more clear. The one i have is an mid 2011 MBA it has a total of 64gb of space. Not a whole lot for my uses. Also it was an open box product from Beast Buy

David085
Jun 29, 2012, 12:29 AM
You can buy some flash storage chips through macsales.com which is owc (Other World Computing) that is made for the MBA, think they sell 128GB/ and 256GB but is expensive.