PDA

View Full Version : Owners of the 11 incher - do you wish you went for 13'?

Uguubot
Jun 28, 2012, 11:58 PM
Hey, I'm looking to buy a Macbook Air, maybe not this generation but next (I'll be a senior, and might as well spend a lot of money on an updated laptop), and I am wondering if any 11 inch owners regret not getting a bigger screen?

Aside from notes and web browsing research, I'd use it for blogging, light photo editing (cropping, adding text, graphics, etc), and chatting on steam.

Oh, also, are they durable? I am certainly delicate with my electronics (My iPhone 4S, bought in December, has no scratches or chips), but accidents happen.

RocketRed
Jun 29, 2012, 12:04 AM
Topic Title is dirty :D

On-Topic: MBA is my main computing system, so I went with 13''.

Apple Computers are very durable. I'm careful with my electronics, but apparently the aluminium coating of Apple notebooks are really eroded metal so it doesn't scratch easily.

Adidas Addict
Jun 29, 2012, 08:02 AM
There's a huge difference between 11 inches and thirteen feet.

jimboutilier
Jun 29, 2012, 08:30 AM
I've owned a lot of notebooks between 10" and 17" but I think 13" is the sweet spot between all day useability and mobility.

Ive had a 13" MBA in the past and it's likely my all time favorite notebook. Great screen and keyboard, enough power and capacity and a great mobile experience.

I switched to the 11" when it came out in 2010 and don't regret it. My eyes are not the best so the screen is on the edge for me but it's a great screen even though its small and I travel a lot so the trade off is worth it to me. It's a terrific machine to use in short bursts but for all day use I'd need an external monitor.

Before I upgraded recently to a 2012, I took a close look at the 11" vs 13" again and still chose the 11" for it's superior travel experience. If I didn't travel a lot I would have chosen the 13" though.

ZBoater
Jun 29, 2012, 08:38 AM

ROLF! I wish I had gone for the 11". I can't fit my 13' laptop in my car... :D

Sounds Good
Jun 29, 2012, 08:44 AM
LOVE these threads!! :)

Higgs1
Jun 29, 2012, 08:53 AM
Originally ordered the 13", received it and had regrets. Went to the apple store to play around with the 11" and get a feel for it and went to some of the sites I would normally frequent and checked to make sure I could use it daily without issue.

I love the smaller form factor but still packs a full punch. Easy decision for me, exchanged the 13" for an 11" ultimate, no regrets.

Battery life is a little weaker, but I'm never too far away from an outlet if needed after the 4-5hr battery is dead.

Arelunde
Jun 29, 2012, 09:08 AM
I've had all size screens through the years, most recently a 17-in PC laptop. That was essentially a desktop in laptop format and as for being portable - forget it. It weighed a ton, was wayyy too bulky.

That screen, even though 17 inches, was wide, but not very tall. I rarely used it and was sorry I hadn't bought a smaller screen laptop. Ironically, at that time, smaller screen PC laptops were more expensive than larger screens - for that same reason.

I now have the 13-in MBP (late 2011) and LOVE it!! I also have an iPad2 with it's 10-inch screen. I didn't think 11 would be enough of a difference. I agree with the poster that the 13-inch is a "sweet spot" in size... totally functional and portable (unless you are doing pro graphics or photo editing where you need more real estate for close-up detail work).

trondah
Jun 29, 2012, 09:39 AM
Had the 2011 11" and went for the 2012 11" as well. You just can't beat the feeling of these ultra light notebooks. Used to have a 13" but now when I see one I just think damn they are huge.

KoukiFC3S
Jun 29, 2012, 09:45 AM
I was debating between the 11" Air and the MBP 13" a few years ago. Got the 13", but ended up leaving it at home all the time because of its size and weight.

Just got my new 11" MBA, and loving it! The display size is good once I moved the dock to the side.

jimboutilier
Jun 29, 2012, 11:23 AM
Had the 2011 11" and went for the 2012 11" as well. You just can't beat the feeling of these ultra light notebooks. Used to have a 13" but now when I see one I just think damn they are huge.

Isn't that the truth. When I switched from a 13" MBP to a 13" MBA years ago, the 13" MBA seemed a huge improvement from a mobility perspective and was incredibly happy with it for several years.

Then the 11" came out and it seemed another big leap in mobility. Even though I would prefer the larger screen the 11" is definitely worth the compromise to me. And I can't picture going back to the "huge" 13" MBA :D

pandaguy
Jun 29, 2012, 11:26 AM
I just can't imagine using an 11 inch computer as a main device. I absolutely hate my brother's 10 inch netbook.

wgnoyes
Jun 29, 2012, 11:39 AM
11" as your main computer? No, I can't see it either. As a VERY convenient travel computer, though, yes.

Boy, have we ever come full circle. My company bought an IBM Thinkpad 365csd back in 1995 for $2400 and it had a 10.4" TFT color display, and we just all thought that was the hottest thing out there!

----------

Aside from notes and web browsing research, I'd use it for blogging, light photo editing (cropping, adding text, graphics, etc), and chatting on steam.
I think if you're doing any sort of photo editing, light or not, you're going to want the extra real estate of the 13" screen.

jimboutilier
Jun 29, 2012, 11:42 AM
I just can't imagine using an 11 inch computer as a main device. I absolutely hate my brother's 10 inch netbook.

While the 11" is a small screen and I wouldn't want to work on it all day long without an external monitor its as powerful as many 13" machines and has a competitive screen resolution to many. Its got a full size keyboard and a good trackpad. A far cry from any netbook.

I can be productive on the 11" screen but for me more screen real-estate means more productivity for many tasks - so regardless of having an 11" or 13" or 15" laptop, I often use external monitors when available.

noisycats
Jun 29, 2012, 11:50 AM
11 inches and zero regrets.

jsgreen
Jun 29, 2012, 11:53 AM
MBA 11", been using it as my main machine (~8-10 hrs / day) for the past 14 months with absolutely no regrets.

MegaVA
Jun 29, 2012, 11:55 AM
Goth both the 11'' and 13'' ordered because I could not decide. :cool:
The 11" should be here today and I'm stoked.

Acorn
Jun 29, 2012, 11:59 AM
I had the 2010 11 inch air and it was just ok. now I have the 2012 13 inch air and im way happier. its so much more usable.

jerryobr
Jun 29, 2012, 12:01 PM
If you have an Apple Store or a Best Buy near-by, do a side by side comparison of the 11" and 13". I did, and was immediately turned toward the 13". The screen real estate is very noticeably larger: more than you might think. The size difference is not much: 1" wider and 1.4" deeper and same height. The 13" is less than 6/10 of a pound heavier, but hold them both simultaneously in your hands and see if that will truly wear you down (no wimpish aspersions being cast). Think about battery life, as they have respectively 5hr vs 7 hr battery charges.

I'm going for the 13".

r6girl
Jun 29, 2012, 12:53 PM
I went from a 13-inch MBA to an 11-inch earlier this year and have no regrets (however, it's not my main computer - a 27-inch iMac is). I think the 11-inch is amazingly portable and I don't think I'd ever go back to the 13-inch as a second computer for working outside the house and traveling.

I use it for writing, Excel, and some light photo editing. The smaller screen isn't ideal for the Excel work but it's do-able.

I haven't tested its durability by dropping it but I don't worry about it excessively. I keep it in a padded sleeve in my bag and also have a clear SGP skin on it since the thing I worry most about is scratches thanks to a bad experience with the TSA and my last MBA.

smithy1185
Jun 29, 2012, 02:39 PM
I have external monitors at home, so the larger screen size of the laptop wasn't the deciding factor for me. If you have large hands like me though, definitely test out typing in store because the sharp edges on the palm rest are what made me lean toward the 13" over the 11".

mattopotamus
Jun 29, 2012, 03:02 PM
Basically seems like most people who have an 11" either use it as a second computer, or a main computer b.c they travel with it a lot. I have an 11" and 13". If I had to pick one I would go with the 13" since I am at home mostly when I use a computer. The 11" is great, but to use more than a few hours "I" feel hunched over.

xbxb
Jun 29, 2012, 03:11 PM
nah, It does everything I need. So I'm very happy

IJBrekke
Jun 29, 2012, 03:29 PM
Yes.

mrbell1984
Jun 29, 2012, 03:31 PM
Girls often think this! :D

kaielement
Jun 29, 2012, 03:35 PM
For me it's all about being mobile. But I also need a decent size screen. My first laptop was a 15" Gateway (given to me as a christmas present so not my first choice) that thing was so thick (that's what she said lol) and big I hated carrying that beast around. After that I had graduated high school and had my own money and decided to buy something I wanted. So I got a Mac went with the white 13" MacBook. Loved it. But that to was a bit big and heavy. So when I decided to up grade I wanted to go with the 11". My mom who was buying this for my birthday/Christmas (birthday is Dec. 26) asked me if I wanted the 13" version. I thanked her sand said no I didn't and I wanted everything in the specs I had given her. Then later my mom said that she almost got the 13" anyway but a friend of hers who is very tech savvy said not to and that I probably had a reason for wanting the 11" and yep he was right. I love how light and small the 11" without having to small a screen and still having a big enough keyboard to type on. I mean have you ever tried to type on those small netbooks you know the 7-8" little things they are hard and made my hand cramp. Anyway as you can see I kind of have a pattern of going smaller as I upgrade. But I don't think I would ever go smaller then 11" perfect for all I do.

KPOM
Jun 29, 2012, 03:49 PM
I had the original MacBook Air and switched to the 11" in 2011. It's the perfect size for me. It's just as powerful as the 13" and is a lot more portable. It's great on an airplane.

NewbieCanada
Jun 29, 2012, 03:50 PM

That's what she said.

IngerMan
Jun 29, 2012, 03:54 PM
To each his own, split decision,

It is something you are going to have to decide for your self. The case has been presented showing good cause for both sides.

13 feet or 11 inches ;)

Nell
Jun 29, 2012, 04:17 PM
I use a 17" MBP for video editing and photoshop work but love the portability of my 11" MBA. Battery life could be an issue but unless you're likely to be away from a power source all day it's a great choice IMO.

Uguubot
Jun 29, 2012, 04:36 PM

I just knew I got that wrong! Lol, I can never remember the difference.

kierennyc
Jun 29, 2012, 05:09 PM
I recently went from a 2008 13 alu-macbook to the 2012 11 Air and im completely sold.

At first I kept asking myself if the screen was too small, and I think a big part of it was that I kept reading posts on here where people would debate 13 v 11 and these discussions would put doubt in my own mind!

But after using it for a week as my main machine I can easily say its my best laptop that I've ever owned. For email, web, music, media consumption, etc its ideal. The portability is unrivaled and the power and speed of this thing puts all of my past laptops to shame. Its scores more than double on geekbench than my last Mac (2008 2.4ghz core 2 duo, 8gb ram).

The screen really has not been an issue for me - Ive adapted to it extremely quickly (and without any compromise in my opinion)

I can imagine if you needed to work with several windows open and in view at once it wouldn't be ideal, but for the kind of basic 'office' work that I do on it (invoicing, word documents, etc) its absolutely fine.

Just today I picked up my 13 to transfer some files and it felt like a huge, clunky, heavy, beast of a machine! I cant see myself going back to 13 inch laptops for a while.

Bigmacduck
Jun 29, 2012, 05:38 PM
For the heavy work I have a MBP 2011 2011 high end. The 13" MBA would not make a big difference size wise. The 11" is ideal on the road.

Together with a Thunderbolt display it rivals the MBP if only working with office applications.

Battery life of the 11" 2012 MBA with 8GGB is better than the 2011 MBP 2011 core i7 2.3Ghz 16GB RAM when running Parallels VM with win 7. So on the road the MBA 11" is the better machine because it runs cooler with better battery life and still very good performance - also under Parallels - I love it!

hisboyelroy
Jun 29, 2012, 07:48 PM
Think about battery life, as they have respectively 5hr vs 7 hr battery charges.

I'm about to take delivery (any moment now) of my first 11" after using the 13" for the past two generations. I did spend significant time in the Apple Store (not a pleasant experience I must say) testing it out in terms of weight and usability. It passed with no problems there at all. My concern is more about the 2 hour compromise in battery life. I really like the supposed 7 hours we get in the 13" but am taking the plunge any way. I can exchange if I discover the battery just won't do for me.

And, let me just say this to Apple, I'd gladly swap out the second USB 3 port for a SD card reader. :rolleyes:

Alameda
Jun 30, 2012, 12:01 AM
13" is the only way to go for me.

Looks Like Apple made the right decision by offering two screen sizes.

Fernandez21
Jun 30, 2012, 02:17 AM
Been using the 11" as my main machine since last aug. and have no regrets. Its the perfect size, small and portable but not cramped. Love that i can use it it just about anywhere, in fact i can't remember the last time I use it at my desk.

andrepelly
Jun 30, 2012, 03:09 AM
Got mine since last week..
of course i was worried in the beginning coming from a MBP early 2008 15,4".
I must say i love it. Size is just sweet, it's a small but powerful machine i'm very pleased with.
I don't regret at all: right now i'm working at my mountain place and i can make a lot of work done, at home i'll be using it with a TBD, so you really can get the best of both worlds.
Go ahead if you're thinking to buy an 11incher!

Stingray454
Jun 30, 2012, 04:00 AM
I owned the 2010 11" Air and just received my 2012 11" this week. Both times I though long and hard about getting the 13" instead (mainly because of longer battery and SD slot), but I just couldn't justify the larger size. 11" is so perfect - I love using it in front of the TV, checking messages/watching movies in bed, bringing it on trips and so on. Imho, the bulkier/heavier 13" makes it much less portable for a small gain in screen size, I think it's just not worth it. The times I'm using it as a workstation I connect it to an external screen / keyboard / mouse, and then the 11" is even better than 13" since it takes up less space on your desk.

I'd also recommend everyone using the 11" to place the dock on the left or right side instead of at the bottom - it gives the desktop much better proportions and making it less "cramped".

jksu
Jun 30, 2012, 05:51 AM
2 years with 2010 mba 11" and love it's compact size.

but for 2012 i went with a 13". just got the 13" and although not as compact obviously, it's still light enough i can 1 hand grab (size 9 hands) to take around the house. i definitely appreciate the larger screen size and longer battery life. will miss the compact size of the 11" when traveling (which is rare). but perhaps will get a 7" iPad to use for those purposes when the time comes ;-)

wharzhee
Jun 30, 2012, 06:10 AM
i got an 11"
i was worried when i read that people, over here, said it's cramped, when it was being shipped to me.

But personally to me when i received it, it's alright, I really have no idea what's cramp to them.

My friend owns a 13"; I thought the size is cool, but it's no biggie. Anyone can survive with just an 11" screen.

They also say there's more real estate.
Again, no idea why they need any more, unless you're doing professional video work or something that requires huge screen real estate. Anyone doing word processing (data entry,presentations) an 11" is just fine.

majkom
Jun 30, 2012, 10:05 AM
Strange thread. I am owner of imac 21.5, but i am probably going to switch to mb air 11 as my only computer - thought about 13 inch version, but it looks way to big now, as i am used to gf 11 inch 2011 version. Dillema solved by apple cinema display;)

Moshu
Jun 30, 2012, 10:18 AM
13" for me as I have to work on it when away... 11" is just too small for this.

Plus I wanted the extended battery life.

mszpara
Jun 30, 2012, 10:45 AM
I went with a 13 since it's my main machine, although I used my co-workers 11 inch yesterday and I gotta say... I liked it :)

tdhurst
Jun 30, 2012, 11:03 AM
Absolute zero regrets buying the 11". I moved from a 2011 13" MBP.

Couldn't be happier.

My wife has her own 13", 2011 MBP, so I've been able to compare screen size and whatnot (yes, I know the 13" MBA has a higher res screen), but in no way am I disappointed.

I used the "extra" money to upgrade to an i7 with 8 gigs of ram, too.

daonesteven
Jun 30, 2012, 11:12 AM
i have the 2011 11" for law school as my one and only main and while I love my computer, if say I had an option to go back in time and re-decide what computer to get, I'd get the 13".

aleni
Jun 30, 2012, 11:21 AM
i went with the 11" back in 2011, sold it and got the 13". i regretted it, the footprint is really noticable, 11" is so nice and really light.

what i thought about the 13" was it's still not big enough to do real work, so after the 2012 air released, i sold my 13" and got me a ultimate 11" and thunderbolt display.

robvas
Jun 30, 2012, 11:26 AM
I had both - I always took the 11" when I left the house. The 13" has a bigger screen which is nicer but it's noticeably bigger and has a good 2 more (50% more!) battery life than the 11".

I ended up selling the 11" (it was a 64GB 2GB C2D, my 13" is a newer i5 so it made the decision easier) but I miss it.

dmelgar
Jun 30, 2012, 10:39 PM

I have a 2010 11.6" MBA and use it as my main computer doing software development. Seems fine to me. I had a 13" MBP before. The 13" MBA seems just as big but thinner which I didn't notice. The 11" feels much more portable. The screen has higher DPI so it crams a good bit of real estate onto the screen albeit smaller font.

tdhurst
Jun 30, 2012, 11:17 PM
13" for me as I have to work on it when away... 11" is just too small for this.

Plus I wanted the extended battery life.

I worried about this too. Thankfully, most of my work is writing and editing. Had I needed to create spreadsheets or any design work, 13" would have been a better choice than my 11".

Connected a monitor at my desk, it's perfectly suitable as a main computer, but I'm glad to have the smallest bag I've ever owned to carry it around.

Seriously, it's a Tom Bihn product that's dangerously close to man bag territory.

P0stalTek
Jul 1, 2012, 12:39 AM
I am the exact opposite of the topic. I have a 2011 13" MBA, and my wife has the exact same MBA but in the 11" variety. I ended up buying a MBP 15" so I know *if* I buy another Air down the road, it will be the 11".

The footprint is simply amazing, and I was surprisingly ok with the loss in real estate in the situations where I use my Air over the Pro.

Good luck on whichever you choose, both are wonderful machines.

Moshe1010
Jul 1, 2012, 01:08 AM
I think 12" MBA with 7 hours battery (or more) would be the perfect computer.

Sounds Good
Jul 1, 2012, 07:40 AM
The footprint is simply amazing...
This is what I think too.

Reha
Jul 2, 2012, 07:07 AM
received mine today - ultimate 11" with Samsung LCD/SSD - and I'm in LOVE with that little machine. The screen size is no issue for me at all, and I very much prefer the 16:9 aspect ratio. If that little powerhouse gets me through the next 2-3 years, I'm happy.

rookpsu
Jul 2, 2012, 10:04 PM
No.

My maxed out 2012 (2.0 i7) is a beast.

With the 1440P external screen, I honestly feel like I have an iMac and an ultra portable. The 256 SSD makes it though. No more worrying about HD space (previously had the 128GB 2011 MBA).

The portability to productivity ratio is absolutely unparalleled.

aznguyen316
Jul 2, 2012, 10:11 PM

Agreed. LOVED my x220, great size, and the IPS panel was top notch! But at least these 11" Airs don't sacrifice the keyboard.

hisboyelroy
Jul 2, 2012, 10:18 PM
I just stepped down from a 13" MBA to the new 11" MBA, and was a little concerned initially that I may not like the screen size and shorter battery life. I have to say, however that I am really enjoying this. I don't notice much of a difference in screen size but like the smaller form factor as well as the way it is lighter as well. The battery absolutely does not last as long, but still, 5 hours seems to be pretty good.

In short, so far, I'm very glad I got the 11".

windowpain
Jul 2, 2012, 10:44 PM
Nope, very happy with the 11 inches.

Took a little while to get used to it, as I had a 13 inch macbook before this, but now every time I pick up a 13" macbook air it seems huge. I think losing the height rather than the width makes a big difference, and for the most part it is all the screen I need. (although saying that I wouldn't complain for it to be slightly bigger when editing/viewing photos.)

The only trouble is that it will spoil you having a laptop so small and light and it is difficult to go back to carrying a 'normal' laptop. The regular MacBooks seem like they are made out of bricks now..

I am rocking the late 2010 1.4ghz with 2gb of ram as my main computer..and no complaints. Should do me for another year or two at least until they put a retina screen in the airs. :cool:

intervenient
Jul 3, 2012, 12:12 AM
I had an 11 bought soon after the 2010 models came out and just switched to the 13 2012.

The 13 inch is, by far, the BEST computer I've ever had. Just a tad more cumbersome than the 11, but with a nicer screen, and just overall more pleasant to deal with. I don't think I could go back to a laptop with any other screen size.

bwhinnen
Jul 3, 2012, 01:25 AM
I purchased an 11" MBA last year and my wife got a 13" MBA (yes there's a comment there :P). I was a little apprehensive about getting the smaller screen as my previous laptops had all been 15" and I was used to that size.

While my primary work is done on two 22" screens and I could not really imagine doing my day job on the 11" screen. But everyday duty falls to the 11" MBA and it does it wonderfully.

While the screen size and resolution are not great for my day job, the use of full screen applications make it perfect for multi-tasking. I can work on email, web browsing, blogging, instant messaging and doing basic coding within a UNIX env without a problem. Even using photo editing programs does not seem to be a problem with the screen size, mind you for proper colour calibration I'd rather the two 22" screens :)

The weight is perfect, and the overall size is great for use in cafes, waiting rooms, terminals, on planes, in lectures/training sessions without sacrificing too much room, not to mention lazing in an arm-chair or sofa. It has been knocked off the arm of the sofa by my Son (it was an accident) and suffered no damage.

The battery life does leave a little to be desired, but it is better than the previously mentioned 15" laptops I used to have and I still get 4 hours with ease.

In the almost year I've owned it I have never once wished I had the 13" version, and have never reached for my wife's 13" MBA to do anything even though it has the i7 versus my i5 as well as the additional screen real estate.

Overall if you go into the store look at both and decide you can work with the screen size and resolution in what you need, then go for it, you will not regret it.

KohPhiPhi
Jul 3, 2012, 07:34 AM

I agree. A MBA 12" running at 1440x900 would be sweet point between portability and everyday comfortable use, something like the Lenovo X220

If they managed to reduce the screen bezel on the MBA 13", I'm sure they could pull it off. I would certainly buy it in a heartbeat!

urkel
Jul 3, 2012, 05:41 PM
The problems I had with the 11" is that it offers an unbelievably travel friendly footprint but not a travel friendly battery. Along with some eye strain from the screen, I was constantly running out of juice so I got a 13" 2012 and absolutely love it.

Maybe if they'd trim the bezel to house a 12" Screen and get decent battery life id go back, but for now then the 11" is more a novelty than the kind of computer I'd like to use every day.

Nanookfan
Jul 3, 2012, 08:11 PM
For me it was all about portability and even though I agonized back and forth between the 11" and 13" before buying my 11" I'm extremely happy and know I made the right choice for me. The 11" could have SO easily been made into a 12" but still keep the same footprint by getting rid of some of the bezel but then I suppose there wouldn't have been enough differentiation between it and the 13". This thing is great, so light and easy to carry around while being very quick and powerful enough for me. Also, if I really need to work on a larger screen at home I can connect to an external monitor.

entatlrg
Jul 3, 2012, 09:06 PM
What I think Apple should of done is come out with a 12" Air, instead of the 11 and 13". For one, look at the agonizing we have choosing between screen sizes! :)

They would of hit the ball out of the park with a 12" Air, and satisfied more people too. The comments are obvious, for many the 11" is just a little too small, and for others the 13" just a little too big.

On the other hand maybe Apple's research found they'd sell more volume and make more money if they offered two screen sizes. But, isn't Apple laser beam focussed on the end user experience and not the money?

Sounds Good
Jul 3, 2012, 10:05 PM
But, isn't Apple laser beam focussed on the end user experience and not the money?
Ha! :)

alphaod
Jul 4, 2012, 03:29 AM
Man I'm stuck using this my 3.5 incher all the time! I wish I had an 11"

tim100
Jul 5, 2012, 10:23 PM
the price difference between the 11 and 13 is very small. what factors led 11 inch buyers to pick it over 13?

Richard Peters
Jul 5, 2012, 11:36 PM
I went for the 11" as I wanted as small and light as possible when travelling with heavy camera equipment. I've already taken it on a five day trip and it was perfect. A friend had his 15" MBP with him and I'm so used to the Air now that when he sat down next to me with his Pro I thought it was a 17" initially :D

firewood
Jul 5, 2012, 11:47 PM
the price difference between the 11 and 13 is very small. what factors led 11 inch buyers to pick it over 13?

The difference looks small on paper and in specs, but in feel, the 11 feels more like carrying around a book or magazine, while the 13 feels more like a couple of larger books that require using a backpack. I go across the room with a book a lot more than I get out a backpack, so the 11 gets carried around more often. And thus is more useful.

TinyBFK
Jul 6, 2012, 02:01 AM
Just returned my 11" for a 13" and I am very happy. I liked the footprint of the 11" but wanted that little bump in batter life and the extra screen real estate.

Zzari
Jul 6, 2012, 02:10 AM
Had the 11" for about 10 days now and am think I'm going to make the switch to 13". While the footprint of the 11" is fantastic, I find the screen a bit too small to multitask and be truly productive away from home. It's a perfect leisure machine to use on trips and around the house (especially on the couch and in bed), but when it comes to getting things done I find that the 11" lacks screen real estate.

Add in the better battery life and the fact that I don't carry the MBA by itself (i.e. it's always in a briefcase or backpack, resulting in no "portability" difference between the 11" and 13") and the 13" becomes even more appealing. Furthermore, I find myself not really using my iPad anymore which kind of makes having the 11" redundant.

I haven't finalized my decision to move to 13" since I feel like I'm going to miss the footprint of the 11", but everything that my laptop-use situation requires points to the 13" as the optimal machine.

Gadger Snr
Jul 6, 2012, 04:32 AM
Spel

jackosx
Jul 6, 2012, 06:39 AM
It's the perfect size for me, of course this is all subjective, anyone who is in the market for an Air should go to an Apple store and see for themselves.

jouster
Jul 6, 2012, 07:12 AM

Eh, horses for courses, I guess. My current main computer has a 9.7" screen...