PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air 2012 - Very loud trackpad click?

bigyeah
Jun 29, 2012, 12:58 AM
Is anyone else extremely annoyed about how loud the click on the trackpad is? I went to the Applestore thinking that there was an issue with my particular MacBook Air, but the Genius told me the loud noise is normal. He did loosen and retighten the trackpad to see if it helped the extremely loud click noise, but it did not. I am ready to return my machine in hopes that a new one will be better, or is this not a defect? Is the only flaw on this laptop the extremely obnoxious trackpad click noise? I can't commute to work on a 2 hour bus ride with this sound. I truly cannot believe Apple would allow this, that is why I am willing to try another machine before I give up on this current generation of MacBooks. Is anyone else having this issue/complaint?

RocketRed
Jun 29, 2012, 01:14 AM
Sound is relative.

My trackpad makes a click noise and I don't find it an annoyance/inconvenience.

NutsNGum
Jun 29, 2012, 01:18 AM
3 Words.

Tap to Click.

alstrike
Jun 29, 2012, 03:47 AM
3 Words.

Tap to Click.

We can close the internet now.

selcouth
Jun 29, 2012, 10:40 AM
My 2008 15" MBP's trackpad has a very loud click compared to others that I have used. The MBA clicks that I tested in store seemed much more gentle and I'm hoping that my 11" MBA will be the same when it arrives.

Does yours click "harder" or louder than others you have tested?

jmgregory1
Jun 29, 2012, 11:10 AM
I agree with Nuts - I very rarely use the actual push to click and often times when I do it's because I accidentally push too hard. Physical clicks are, I believe, going the way of the mouse.

If you haven't figured out the multi-touch pad, you'd do well to practice. I think you'll realize that pushing to click is almost never required.

Stetrain
Jun 29, 2012, 11:32 AM
3 Words.

Tap to Click.

Agreed, I find it strange that it isn't the default setting.

dcorban
Jun 29, 2012, 01:37 PM
All of the aluminum trackpads have been loud when clicking. Tap to click is your friend and should definitely be the default on all the glass multi-touch pads. I'd prefer that Apple remove the physical clicking completely in their MacBooks.

Predator69
Jun 29, 2012, 01:40 PM
Tap to click is a lot more easier and don't put too much strain in your fingers too.

bigyeah
Jun 29, 2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. Tap to click, yeah, yeah yeah. I know that I should convert, but I am stubborn in my ways. I will try and go to a Best Buy to test out other MBA and MBP models to see if it is an isolated issue with my machine. The reason for the Best Buy trip and not an Apple store trip is because the Apple store is so damn loud you can't even hear a click.

jmgregory1
Jun 29, 2012, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. Tap to click, yeah, yeah yeah. I know that I should convert, but I am stubborn in my ways. I will try and go to a Best Buy to test out other MBA and MBP models to see if it is an isolated issue with my machine. The reason for the Best Buy trip and not an Apple store trip is because the Apple store is so damn loud you can't even hear a click.

The other thing about the Air's is that their thinness may exacerbate the click sound. I know it's a challenge to make the change - my wife has the same issue and she even still prefers a mouse to the trackpad. Her watching me fly through spreadsheets, web pages, emails is starting to convince her though. Once you start multi-touching, you'll have a hard time going back.

klanse
Jun 30, 2012, 04:40 AM
I just received 2 MBAs i ordered this morning. The click noise is noticeably louder on one of them.

kodeman53
Jun 30, 2012, 05:06 AM
Is anyone else extremely annoyed about how loud the click on the trackpad is?

No, but then I have checked 'Tap to Click'. Problem solved. Even when I do click it's not annoying. Quite amazing what some people find to complain about.

tigres
Jun 30, 2012, 07:14 AM
I dislike tap to click, that's why we do have the primary option to click the trackpad.

That said, my 2010 was loud with clicks and I delt with it for 2 years; got used to it I suppose. Now on my new machine- the trackpad is quiet as a mouse and its a welcome blessing as well as the backlit keyboard.

So there are units that do have a quiet TP.

Barna Biro
Jun 30, 2012, 07:49 AM
3 Words.

Tap to Click.
This. ;)

powsucks
Jun 30, 2012, 08:05 AM
Oh yes. The tap noise is one of the most annoying things in life. Also, anyone else notice when the sun is at a certain angle and the laptop is positioned in a specific way, the sun can sometimes shine really brightly? I've packaged mine up ready to send back. Life is so tough, but I struggle through.

;)

Kissaragi
Jun 30, 2012, 08:24 AM
Oh yes. The tap noise is one of the most annoying things in life. Also, anyone else notice when the sun is at a certain angle and the laptop is positioned in a specific way, the sun can sometimes shine really brightly? I've packaged mine up ready to send back. Life is so tough, but I struggle through.

;)

Did you have the problem with the aluminium being too shiney and for 30 seconds of a sunny day in june when the macbook is positioned facing exactly due south that theres a tiny speck of glare on the track pad that can be super annoying too? Think i might return mine because of this.

powsucks
Jun 30, 2012, 08:55 AM
Did you have the problem with the aluminium being too shiney and for 30 seconds of a sunny day in june when the macbook is positioned facing exactly due south that theres a tiny speck of glare on the track pad that can be super annoying too? Think i might return mine because of this.

I did. in England we get exactly 4.2 sunny days in the year. At a specific point in each of these days I suffer this blinding occurrence. It's just not goo enough Apple. I pay a premium price (seems to be the normal line) for this laptop and I just shouldn't have to suffer this. I'm glad there is someone else who shares my pain.

bigyeah
Jun 30, 2012, 10:05 AM

;)

and the douche bag award goes to..........

bigyeah
Jun 30, 2012, 10:52 AM
My 2008 15" MBP's trackpad has a very loud click compared to others that I have used. The MBA clicks that I tested in store seemed much more gentle and I'm hoping that my 11" MBA will be the same when it arrives.

Does yours click "harder" or louder than others you have tested?

My click sounds "plasticky". The clicks on other machines that I have tested in the store sound more natural.

powsucks
Jun 30, 2012, 11:28 AM

If you can't take a joke on the internet, then thats you problem man. I hope you manage to get over the trauma.

melterx12
Jun 30, 2012, 11:37 AM

you.