Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Hi all,

It turns out that even though we tend to be behind, the Macintosh hasn't been left in the dark as far as the CoD titles. Today, Aspyr Media made the announcement that Black Ops is coming to the Mac App Store, and that in celebration all of the currently-available CoD titles are half-price.

NOTE: ANY TITLE PURCHASED ON THE MAC APP STORE IS INTEL-ONLY. DO NOT EXPECT TO BE ABLE TO EXECUTE A MAC APP STORE PURCHASE ON A POWERPC MAC. IF YOU WISH TO PURCHASE A TITLE TO RUN ON BOTH AN INTEL AND POWERPC, I RECOMMEND PURCHASING THE GAMES FROM AMAZON.

Here's Aspyr's Official announcement: http://www.aspyr.com/news_articles/call-of-duty-black-ops-coming-to-mac

Anyways, while we wait, I figured it'd be fun to take a guess at what we think the System Requirements will be. I have listed the requirements for all of the previous CoD titles below, information pulled from Amazon's online store.

CoD+UO (PPC-only, and can be executed with Rosetta on Snow Leopard. Other than that, the overpriced Mac App Store release which does not include the United Offensive expansion pack is Intel-friendly.)
-867MHz PPC CPU (recommended 1GHz)
-256MB RAM
-32MB VRAM
-DVD drive (assuming you buy DVD package and not digital download via Amazon or Mac App Store)

CoD2 (Universal Binary)
-1.8GHz G5 or Intel CPU (recommended 2GHz)
-512MB RAM
-64MB VRAM
-DVD drive (assuming you buy DVD package and not digital download via Amazon or Mac App Store)

CoD4 (Intel-only)
-Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz (2.4GHz recommended)
-2GB RAM
-256MB VRAM

And with all that, what do you think Black Ops will require? I'm thinking...
-2.3GHz Dual-Core i processor
-4GB RAM
-256MB VRAM (possibly 512MB, but that'd be pushing it if they wanna make a good profit)

Last edited:

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
The CPU one will be difficult to judge, because clock speed is far less relevant than it used to be between the various chip models. Agree about the 4GB RAM, although I suspect 256MB VRAM will be for the lower graphics settings.

Json81

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2012
- Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom X3 8750 or better
- Memory: 2GB
- HDD: 12GB
- Video: Shader 3.0 or better 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT/ATI Radeon X1950Pro or better
- Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible
- DirectX: 9.0c

That's the system requirements for windows version.
If I remember well E6600 is 2.4Ghz.

I did test the game on macbook 2010 (with the geforce 320m) in boot camp and it was playable.
My guess would be at least 330m to be playable in OS X.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
- Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom X3 8750 or better
- Memory: 2GB
- HDD: 12GB
- Video: Shader 3.0 or better 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT/ATI Radeon X1950Pro or better
- Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible
- DirectX: 9.0c

That's the system requirements for windows version.
If I remember well E6600 is 2.4Ghz.

I did test the game on macbook 2010 (with the geforce 320m) in boot camp and it was playable.
My guess would be at least 330m to be playable in OS X.

The 2010 MacBook you're speaking of is the 2.4GHz C2D model with the GeForce 320m right? Those specs are the same as my 2010 Mac mini. I'm hoping just maybe I can squeak by with Black Ops on OS X with my mini... Haha.

If not, it'll probably kick me into gear for buying a MacBook Pro, though :)

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Hell would have to freeze over before I drop $60 on a 2 year old game. However I would jump on it if it was $40 since that puts it in line with a new copy for the 360 anyway.

CoD4 has been $30-40 bucks for Mac and the Mac release came out in 2008. At full price it's $39.99 on the Mac App Store, and on Amazon (where I bought it) it's around $30 now. I would expect the 'newer' game to be AT LEAST $40, and wouldn't be surprised at more than that.

mikeyg36

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
Maryland
CoD4 has been $30-40 bucks for Mac and the Mac release came out in 2008. At full price it's $39.99 on the Mac App Store, and on Amazon (where I bought it) it's around $30 now. I would expect the 'newer' game to be AT LEAST $40, and wouldn't be surprised at more than that.

Remember though CoD4 on Mac is really the only playable version of CoD4 as the console versions are hacked beyond belief. Therefore I am willing to spend more on that game since it was the best CoD (tied with WaW) IMO.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Remember though CoD4 on Mac is really the only playable version of CoD4 as the console versions are hacked beyond belief. Therefore I am willing to spend more on that game since it was the best CoD (tied with WaW) IMO.

Oh I definitely agree with you. CoD4 is a great game, and I think it has the best campaign of the whole series...

Json81

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2012
The 2010 MacBook you're speaking of is the 2.4GHz C2D model with the GeForce 320m right? Those specs are the same as my 2010 Mac mini. I'm hoping just maybe I can squeak by with Black Ops on OS X with my mini... Haha.

If not, it'll probably kick me into gear for buying a MacBook Pro, though :)

Correct, they are the same specs.

Jman3350

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2011
I've run Black Ops on Mac OS X before, and I know for a fact you can run it on Intel Core Duo 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, and a 256MB NVIDIA card. This was on a Macbook (white) 2009. I've run it on a 1GB ATI Radeon HD 6750M, 8GB RAM, and a 2.3GHZ i7.

There's some gameplay on MacsAndGaming if you want to see it :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.