PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome vs Safari (iOS)

zooby
Jun 29, 2012, 04:18 AM
For those who have tried it - what are your thoughts about the released Chrome browser for iOS? Is there an advantage to using Google Chrome over Safari on the iPad?

iVikD
Jun 29, 2012, 06:08 AM
I like the look and feel of it, just like the desktop version. The ability to switch from normal browsing to incognito is definitely a plus. It seems to load some pages faster than safari (although it could be my imagination). Love the shared bookmarks, history and autocomplete synced from my MBP.
On the downside, it's not compatible with some of my safari plugins (download enabler, full screen) and since it's not the default browser, links from other apps still open safari :(

wadjj
Jun 29, 2012, 08:15 AM
I like the look and feel of it, just like the desktop version. The ability to switch from normal browsing to incognito is definitely a plus. It seems to load some pages faster than safari (although it could be my imagination). Love the shared bookmarks, history and autocomplete synced from my MBP.
On the downside, it's not compatible with some of my safari plugins (download enabler, full screen) and since it's not the default browser, links from other apps still open safari :(

browser changer will soon update to support chrome

gorskiegangsta
Jun 29, 2012, 06:24 PM
I cannot really tell if Chrome is faster than safari in page loading. It seems to initially load slower but then render faster. In terms of page re-loading, however, Chrome certainly is faster and keeps pages in memory longer, on the new iPad, at least.

Ashwood11
Jun 29, 2012, 06:29 PM

HiddenPuppy
Jun 29, 2012, 07:33 PM

Does that work only on jailbroken ipads?

HiddenPuppy

boomhower
Jun 29, 2012, 07:52 PM
As long as Chrome is limited to using essentially the same engine as Safari the differences are mainly going to be appearance. Basically pick which desktop browser you liker better and use the corresponding mobile browser to sync bookmarks.

Serelus
Jun 29, 2012, 08:15 PM
On iPad 3 the pictograms displayed in the tabs of chrome are very pixelated, which brought me to the conclusion that Chrome was made for iPad 1 and 2.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

wadjj
Jun 29, 2012, 08:15 PM
Does that work only on jailbroken ipads?

HiddenPuppy

Sure, there's no way to touch hidden system settings without jb

Badrottie
Jun 30, 2012, 12:08 AM
I tried it and I didn't like it..too lagging on some websites so I stay with Safari and Atomic Web Browser.

dhartung02
Jun 30, 2012, 01:16 AM
I like how integrated it is with my desktop browsing experience. Being able to share tabs back and forth is awesome.

iVikD
Jun 30, 2012, 10:20 AM

It did, and works wonderfully. I have now moved Safari to my Junk folder along with some of the other crap that comes pre-installed xD. Maybe we'll see the download managers from the JB community supporting chrome in the future :)

aleni
Jun 30, 2012, 11:31 AM
safari pro: go back to a previous page is almost instant where chrome is not.

chrome pro: tab switching by swiping from the edge of the screen is really a time saver.

rahul247rocks
Jun 30, 2012, 02:15 PM
I am using the new iPad 3 and I must say that Chrome is causing some unusual lags when I open rich HTML webpages and try to scroll or swipe to a new tab.
However with Safari there is no such lag. Also reader is one feature which is very important. But the battle is a tie cause Chrome Sync works like a charm.

jlinear
Jun 30, 2012, 06:09 PM
I miss the bookmark bar. Getting to your bookmarks seems cumbersome to me.

HiddenPuppy
Jun 30, 2012, 06:18 PM
I like it, but fall back to safari all the time. I wish we had the choice of picking our default browser without a jailbreak.

HiddenPuppy