PDA

View Full Version : [phones] Switched to SSGS3: an Apple Girl's perspective (hands on).

Pages : [1] 2

Wrathwitch
Jun 29, 2012, 06:46 AM
Well as I have intimated in previous posts, I did finally take the plunge to get a SSGS3. Here are my opinions/assessments on it compared to my iP4.

Build Quality:

Despite what some people say about the build quality, I think the device feels lovely in my quite small hands. It has a nice feel to it, best compared to a really nice slick candy that slides across your tongue or a really good quality chocolate that just melts in your mouth like silk. No I am not biting on the device, but to say it feels cheap is BS (remember this is all MY opinion). It is light as hell and compared to the build quality of the iP4 (which is my comparison basis), feels more nimble and light. Yes iP4 has a SOLID build to it, it is a lovely device but the GS3 feels lighter and nicer in the hand.

Screen:

The screen IS awesome. I can see no difference in text or desktop resolution. I was anticipating to see some fuzzy but I see nothing to say that it is in any way less than the retina screen. The real estate of the screen is also amazing. If this was a factor to keep from switching, don't even sweat it.

Size:

OK here I am mixed. I do like the pocket-ability of the iP4 make no bones about that. SSGS3 is NOT a pocket phone in any way, shape or form. If you have really baggy pants or large pockets you can fit it in there but for me, since I value investments, it will now either be in a holster or in my purse.

As far as texting, I find it the same if not a little bit better than the iP4 (i love the haptic feed back, but have currently disengaged it to solve a battery issue). Even though I have short stumpy thumbs it works well. I am looking into getting a thumb keyboard app which splits the keyboard like it does on the iPad.

Reading and watching everything is better on this device. Especially as you get a bit older haha!

One handed texting: Awkward, but I have never one hand texted much before so it's not an issue for me. This might be a deal breaker for some though. I couldn't one hand text for shizz anyways...

Speed:

Yep it's fast but this is my first 4G/LTE phone so I am not really going to count that as a comparison.

Battery:

Here is the pain. Firstly since this is my first Android phone, other than reading forums etc I really can't judge what is GOOD for an Android phone battery...I can only compare it to the iP4 and the iP4 wins hands down for battery.

I know I have to be much more diligent with my usage and what to have on vs what I did with the iP4. With the iPhone, I never had to turn off things such as wifi, bluetooth etc just to save battery. I realize the screen takes a lot of juice and I have it turned down accordingly. What is bloody wierd is that I am getting a crap tonne of battery drain from Cell standby when I use the battery guage to see what resources are using power. I am still working on this to see how I can configure it. I am getting a full day out of the phone, but I hear others are doing much better than I (even after going to several sites and learning tips on how to best conserve battery on Android phone).

So, the battery comes nowhere near the iPhone4. This is not a deal breaker for me as I am still new to it and I still have a learning curve on the device. I hear this is an issue for the european versions (regarding cell phone standby).

Odds and Ends:

I am sure I haven't even begun to tap the depth of what this device can do. It is really easy to get wallpapers, ringtones etc to customize it and this is a delight.

I haven't delved into the music aspect yet, but video plays smooth and loads fast.

The speaker is much better than on the iP4 for listening to music when I am in the shower.

I have taken some video and a few pics and the camera seems to work well but I will go more into it this weekend.

Call quality is great both on receiving end and my end.

I had a beeotch of a time trying to convince my friends idevices that my phone number was no longer associated with an apple ID. I had to actually turn off iMessage AND remove the device from my account on the Apple website as I would text my friends and their texts would bounce to my iPhone.

Again, I am just starting the learning curve, but so far no regrets. The apps I have downloaded look great but one thing that blows is that for the Mint.com finance one, Android doesn't allow you a quick search function to choose what you spent your money on when you are entering an expenditure which iPhone app does (huge time saver that is too!).

Now it is just the time will tell. If I can get the battery to work as I expect it should and if the device proves as reliable and constant as my iPhone then I will have no regrets.

UPDATE: Still experiencing some issues with battery but am unsure as to whether it is me with a new device or I am just spoiled with the iP4 battery life.

UPDATE 2: Gameloft games are not recognized on this device, which is a bit of a bummer. Hoping they address the issue soon. Also, I think my battery may have resolved itself, but I won't know this for sure over time. Oh and for GODS sake!! If you have a Blizzard Authenticator App, REMOVE it from your account FIRST before you switch your phone! Then reissue it to your account using your new phone!

I have discovered a program/app called isync which allows you to sync playlists etc from iTunes to your Android device and it seems to work well, you can reverse sync also from what I read.

I also took some pretty damn good fireworks pictures this evening with the phone for Canada Day!

Calidude
Jun 29, 2012, 07:12 AM
This lull in Apple innovation is causing a lot of people here to take the Android plunge.

I gotta say that it's kind of embarrassing that there's men here who claim that the iPhone is too big and meanwhile, we've got women buying 4.8" Android phones and not complaining about them at all.

Wrathwitch, I did the same thing and I'm having zero regrets as well. Android isn't perfect but it's farther along in the direction that mobile OSes need to go.

Enjoy your device!

emacna1
Jun 29, 2012, 07:14 AM
What is bloody wierd is that I am getting a crap tonne of battery drain from Cell standby when I use the battery guage to see what resources are using power. I am still working on this to see how I can configure it.

Cell standby might be listed as the most power consuming just because you aren't consuming much power. If that makes sense.

Most often your screen should be highest on the list, but if it's not then there's nary a reason to fret.

The only time you should be worried about cell standby is if you have a high percentage of time without a signal. In that case, it is the fault of your carrier rather than Android. Hope this helps.

Wrathwitch
Jun 29, 2012, 07:17 AM
This lull in Apple innovation is causing a lot of people here to take the Android plunge.

I gotta say that it's kind of embarrassing that there's men here who claim that the iPhone is too big and meanwhile, we've got women buying 4.8" Android phones and not complaining about them at all.

Wrathwitch, I did the same thing and I'm having zero regrets as well. Android isn't perfect but it's farther along in the direction that mobile OSes need to go.

Enjoy your device!

LOL probably cuz most dudes don't want to have to carry a man purse to carry it with them! How do you carry yours? As I really meant it when I said I would not keep it in pocket.

Waiting for my SGP screen protector to come in. Til then I am treating it with kid gloves.

----------

Cell standby might be listed as the most power consuming just because you aren't consuming much power. If that makes sense.

Most often your screen should be highest on the list, but if it's not then there's nary a reason to fret.

The only time you should be worried about cell standby is if you have a high percentage of time without a signal. In that case, it is the fault of your carrier rather than Android. Hope this helps.

Actually, your words make a great deal of sense!!! The other day when I had it on for about 5 hours straight, when I looked at the battery app, it did NOT have Cell standby listed in the top areas!!

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 29, 2012, 07:18 AM

Yea, cause all women are midgets and all men are giants. :rolleyes:

On another note: I thought it was suppose to have equal or better bat life than the iPhone.

ericrwalker
Jun 29, 2012, 07:26 AM
LOL probably cuz most dudes don't want to have to carry a man purse to carry it with them! How do you carry yours? As I really meant it when I said I would not keep it in pocket.

Exactly I don't carry a purse, and I don't wear ghetto pants with pockets big enough to fit an iPad in. I wear regular jeans and khakis, and my iPhone fits comfortable in my pants pockets (Don't even notice it), but when I put a case on it I don't like it. So I have been going caseless since the iPhone 3G.

Though I own a case for when I take it skiing or hunting or someplace I think I might break it.

kevinof
Jun 29, 2012, 07:31 AM
I have a screen protector on mine and that's it. Sits in my pocket for the last month and so far no problems. Like you, I don't like cases.

On the battery life. I take my phone off battery at 7am and charge again at night at about 11pm, when I have at least 40% left. You will find that using the screen a lot will chew the battery - its a 4.8 inch screen vs the iphone's 3.5(?) so yes its going to be a lot more power hungry.

Try juice defender pro (couple of $). Its pretty good at handling the 3g/wifi connections and also the syncing interval (something that also eats battery).

Calidude
Jun 29, 2012, 07:33 AM

Waiting for my SGP screen protector to come in. Til then I am treating it with kid gloves.
I've got the Galaxy Nexus so its a bit heavier yet smaller than yours with a 4.65 inch screen and I have no problem with just putting it into any pocket I have because unlike most men here I seem to have pockets that aren't pressed against my skin.

I would suggest you get a nice slim case for it. When you sell it a year or two down the road, you'll get a great return considering how many listings for non-mint Galaxy phones I see.

I'd also like to advise you on the battery issue. You seem to be quite a lady for going past the Apple reality distortion field and trying new things so here's another good step to take:

This is now your central hub of information for your new phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1563

You'll find a lot of information here about how to root your phone, unlocking your bootloader and then installing custom ROMs and most importantly, custom kernels, which can mean the difference between a phone that lasts a day and a phone that can last SEVERAL days. There's a great toolkit in the development section that will do all these functions easily for you, and once you get the hang of optimizing your handset, you'll feel like you're using a completely different phone.

Good luck!

ChrisTX
Jun 29, 2012, 07:43 AM
I think the real issue here is the switch to a fall iPhone launch instead of a summer release. Many people have available upgrades and want a new phone but don't want a 2 year old designed 4/S. Will this hurt Apple in the long run in terms of a mass exodus to Android? I doubt it, but Apple now more than ever really needs to hit a home run with the next iPhone as the competition is now fiercer than ever.

kdarling
Jun 29, 2012, 07:55 AM
What is bloody wierd is that I am getting a crap tonne of battery drain from Cell standby when I use the battery guage to see what resources are using power.

1) The battery usage page is confusing. It's not showing the actual amount each item uses. It's just showing the percentage for each item over time.

It's as if you didn't do anything all day, but took a nap for 10 minutes. The nap would be counted as 100% use of your time, because nothing else of interest for the chart took place :)

2) I always warn people about the "new toy" battery syndrome. We all tend to use the heck out of a new device, without even realizing it. Looking at the screen, wallpapers, fidding with settings, moving icons around etc.

So naturally the first few days the battery will seem to die more quickly than we expected.

That said, I also almost always buy an extended battery that fits in the same slot, if the battery can be changed (can it, on this model?). It's cheap happiness.

Good luck!

onthecouchagain
Jun 29, 2012, 07:58 AM
I wear slacks to be professional at work (so they have pretty small pockets) and I have to say when I slid the SIII into my pockets the device just felt like it disappeared. To be more accurate it just felt form fitting. The thinness is really a marvel and helps deal with the size of the phone.

Kudos to the OP for giving android a fair shot.

Calidude
Jun 29, 2012, 07:59 AM
Apple now more than ever really needs to hit a home run with the next iPhone as the competition is now fiercer than ever.
Eh, not really. The only true competitor is Android.

Windows Phone has failed to make a splash, despite the marketing push.
Blackberry is bleeding out like a stuck pig and RIM will probably be bought out.
Tizen isn't out yet and won't make a big splash this Fall because there's no apps on the horizon.
BootToGecko is still in Alpha state.
WebOS died an obscure death, with its top man working for Google now.
Meltemi is even more obscure than WebOS and got shelved yet again by Nokia recently.

It's still a 2 horse race. I'd like it to be 5 horses but really, Apple and Google are too mature and too ubiquitous to be reckoned with.

npggirl
Jun 29, 2012, 08:03 AM
Well as I have intimated in previous posts, I did finally take the plunge to get a SSGS3. Here are my opinions/assessments on it compared to my iP4.

Build Quality:

Despite what some people say about the build quality, I think the device feels lovely in my quite small hands. It has a nice feel to it, best compared to a really nice slick candy that slides across your tongue or a really good quality chocolate that just melts in your mouth like silk. No I am not biting on the device, but to say it feels cheap is BS (remember this is all MY opinion). It is light as hell and compared to the build quality of the iP4 (which is my comparison basis), feels more nimble and light. Yes iP4 has a SOLID build to it, it is a lovely device but the GS3 feels lighter and nicer in the hand.

Screen:

The screen IS awesome. I can see no difference in text or desktop resolution. I was anticipating to see some fuzzy but I see nothing to say that it is in any way less than the retina screen. The real estate of the screen is also amazing. If this was a factor to keep from switching, don't even sweat it.

Size:

OK here I am mixed. I do like the pocket-ability of the iP4 make no bones about that. SSGS3 is NOT a pocket phone in any way, shape or form. If you have really baggy pants or large pockets you can fit it in there but for me, since I value investments, it will now either be in a holster or in my purse.

As far as texting, I find it the same if not a little bit better than the iP4 (i love the haptic feed back, but have currently disengaged it to solve a battery issue). Even though I have short stumpy thumbs it works well. I am looking into getting a thumb keyboard app which splits the keyboard like it does on the iPad.

Reading and watching everything is better on this device. Especially as you get a bit older haha!

One handed texting: Awkward, but I have never one hand texted much before so it's not an issue for me. This might be a deal breaker for some though. I couldn't one hand text for shizz anyways...

Speed:

Yep it's fast but this is my first 4G/LTE phone so I am not really going to count that as a comparison.

Battery:

Here is the pain. Firstly since this is my first Android phone, other than reading forums etc I really can't judge what is GOOD for an Android phone battery...I can only compare it to the iP4 and the iP4 wins hands down for battery.

I know I have to be much more diligent with my usage and what to have on vs what I did with the iP4. With the iPhone, I never had to turn off things such as wifi, bluetooth etc just to save battery. I realize the screen takes a lot of juice and I have it turned down accordingly. What is bloody wierd is that I am getting a crap tonne of battery drain from Cell standby when I use the battery guage to see what resources are using power. I am still working on this to see how I can configure it. I am getting a full day out of the phone, but I hear others are doing much better than I (even after going to several sites and learning tips on how to best conserve battery on Android phone).

So, the battery comes nowhere near the iPhone4. This is not a deal breaker for me as I am still new to it and I still have a learning curve on the device. I hear this is an issue for the european versions (regarding cell phone standby).

Odds and Ends:

I am sure I haven't even begun to tap the depth of what this device can do. It is really easy to get wallpapers, ringtones etc to customize it and this is a delight.

I haven't delved into the music aspect yet, but video plays smooth and loads fast.

The speaker is much better than on the iP4 for listening to music when I am in the shower.

I have taken some video and a few pics and the camera seems to work well but I will go more into it this weekend.

I had a beeotch of a time trying to convince my friends idevices that my phone number was no longer associated with an apple ID. I had to actually turn off iMessage AND remove the device from my account on the Apple website as I would text my friends and their texts would bounce to my iPhone.

Again, I am just starting the learning curve, but so far no regrets. The apps I have downloaded look great but one thing that blows is that for the Mint.com finance one, Android doesn't allow you a quick search function to choose what you spent your money on when you are entering an expenditure which iPhone app does (huge time saver that is too!).

Now it is just the time will tell. If I can get the battery to work as I expect it should and if the device proves as reliable and constant as my iPhone then I will have no regrets.

I want to thank you for your post!
I appreciate the honesty and simplicity in your review and am now a bit more at ease for pre-ordering the SGS3 for Verizon in the U.S.
I, as odd as it may sound, have honestly felt sad in ways since I pre-ordered the SGS3 simply because I have always talked Apple iPhones UP! The reason for talking Apple up is because I have had Androids in the past (when Verizon did not have iPhone...I had iPhone with ATT but the service was awful, so i switched to Verizon in hopes they would one day get the iPhone...and they did) and every Android I ever had was choppy, bumpy, nowhere near as seamless as the iPhone. I am talking the OS here, not the body of the phone... As soon as Verizon got the iPhone I switched and have had it ever since...BUT, I was honestly disappointed when there was absolutely NO design change last year...none! I was already sick of the small screen, not that I have to have a HUGE screen, but seriously, IMO, the iPhone is too small! I was tired of purchasing songs, then if I wanted a ringtone, I either had to go through a 5 minute process to make the darn thing into a ringtone, OR purchace a CLIP of a song for the same darn price as a full song from iTunes. Tired of attempting to read anything in landscape mode, while using the keyboard (you can see one line at best). Just tired of some of the things that truly are made simpler on an Android.
But still, I could not forget how horrible the Android OS was after using it after a few months.
I have heard since that they have gotten better, and finally when I saw the SGS3, I just felt this overwhelming urge to try Android again. I hovered over the Pre-Order button 5 or 6 times on separate occasions until I finally took the plunge...
Worst case, I can sale the SGS3 when the iPhone 5, or New iPhone comes out IF the iPhone is actually different...
But your observations have made me less ill at ease, so I thank you!
;)

OneMike
Jun 29, 2012, 08:07 AM
I carry my S3 in my back pocket usually. It fits fine. Jeans or dress pants, I haven't had any issues.

Sometimes around the office I use to carry my iPhone 4S in my shirt pocket. It's a little weird with the S3. Phone is longer so camera sticks out above pocket. Looks like you're filming everybody.

My battery usage is great. I have the international version. I have heard LTE eats up more battery. However, now that I settled in with phone and am not playing with it every 2 seconds. It easily lasts all day.

Great phone as was my 4S. Definitely loving the larger screen and features.

Zaft
Jun 29, 2012, 08:12 AM

Enjoy your device!

iphone too big? I have no idea what person would say that.
I used to have a Droid x and it was ok until i sold it, but these new android phones make the droid x look tiny. IMO 4 inches is the sweet spot for phones.

Wrathwitch
Jun 29, 2012, 08:18 AM
I think the real issue here is the switch to a fall iPhone launch instead of a summer release. Many people have available upgrades and want a new phone but don't a 2 year old designed 4/S. Will this hurt Apple in the long run in terms of a mass exodus to Android? I doubt it, but Apple now more than ever really needs to hit a home run with the next iPhone as the competition is now fiercer than ever.

I am sure they will release an awesome device. I have no fear on that. I AM relieved to feel that I won't feel anxious wondering if I made the right decision.

1) The battery usage page is confusing. It's not showing the actual amount each item uses. It's just showing the percentage for each item over time.

It's as if you didn't do anything all day, but took a nap for 10 minutes. The nap would be counted as 100% use of your time, because nothing else of interest for the chart took place :)

2) I always warn people about the "new toy" battery syndrome. We all tend to use the heck out of a new device, without even realizing it. Looking at the screen, wallpapers, fidding with settings, moving icons around etc.

So naturally the first few days the battery will seem to die more quickly than we expected.

That said, I also almost always buy an extended battery that fits in the same slot, if the battery can be changed (can it, on this model?). It's cheap happiness.

Good luck!

My issue is that from wake up 04:50a.m(unplug from charger) checked 2 emails, messed with settings til 06:07a.m I went from 100% to 95% (not sure if this is normal but seems a bit excessive.

Eh, not really. The only true competitor is Android.

Windows Phone has failed to make a splash, despite the marketing push.
Blackberry is bleeding out like a stuck pig and RIM will probably be bought out.
Tizen isn't out yet and won't make a big splash this Fall because there's no apps on the horizon.
BootToGecko is still in Alpha state.
WebOS died an obscure death, with its top man working for Google now.
Meltemi is even more obscure than WebOS and got shelved yet again by Nokia recently.

It's still a 2 horse race. I'd like it to be 5 horses but really, Apple and Google are too mature and too ubiquitous to be reckoned with.

I think Windows will/is making a comeback, almost no reviews I have read on the device has had significant negative things to say, and much more positive on that scale.

I want to thank you for your post!
I appreciate the honesty and simplicity in your review and am now a bit more at ease for pre-ordering the SGS3 for Verizon in the U.S.
I, as odd as it may sound, have honestly felt sad in ways since I pre-ordered the SGS3 simply because I have always talked Apple iPhones UP! The reason for talking Apple up is because I have had Androids in the past (when Verizon did not have iPhone...I had iPhone with ATT but the service was awful, so i switched to Verizon in hopes they would one day get the iPhone...and they did) and every Android I ever had was choppy, bumpy, nowhere near as seamless as the iPhone. I am talking the OS here, not the body of the phone... As soon as Verizon got the iPhone I switched and have had it ever since...BUT, I was honestly disappointed when there was absolutely NO design change last year...none! I was already sick of the small screen, not that I have to have a HUGE screen, but seriously, IMO, the iPhone is too small! I was tired of purchasing songs, then if I wanted a ringtone, I either had to go through a 5 minute process to make the darn thing into a ringtone, OR purchace a CLIP of a song for the same darn price as a full song from iTunes. Tired of attempting to read anything in landscape mode, while using the keyboard (you can see one line at best). Just tired of some of the things that truly are made simpler on an Android.
But still, I could not forget how horrible the Android OS was after using it after a few months.
I have heard since that they have gotten better, and finally when I saw the SGS3, I just felt this overwhelming urge to try Android again. I hovered over the Pre-Order button 5 or 6 times on separate occasions until I finally took the plunge...
Worst case, I can sale the SGS3 when the iPhone 5, or New iPhone comes out IF the iPhone is actually different...
But your observations have made me less ill at ease, so I thank you!
;)

Not a problem, happy to help.

Small White Car
Jun 29, 2012, 08:26 AM

Given that the OP specifically described it as a purse phone, I'm wondering just what exactly you're suggesting to me here.

Frankied22
Jun 29, 2012, 08:30 AM
So many rustled jimmies in this thread...

Calidude
Jun 29, 2012, 08:34 AM
Given that the OP specifically described it as a purse phone, I'm wondering just what exactly you're suggesting to me here.
Women don't typically carry phones the way men do.

Wrathwitch
Jun 29, 2012, 08:42 AM
Women don't typically carry phones the way men do.

Well I can't speak for most women (didn't start carrying a purse til I hit my 30s) but for the most part in the 2 years I owned my iP4, I have been because I didn't like carrying it in my pocket. Once I put a Mophie battery pack case on it, it felt a lot more protected and less fragile so I started putting it in pocket on occasion then. SGP screen protector ftw. Phone still looks MINT. I am sure my mom will love it. I am giving her my iP4.

How DO most other women carry theirs? Yes this is a bit of a departure from the initial post but now I am curious....

Calidude
Jun 29, 2012, 08:46 AM
How DO most other women carry theirs? Yes this is a bit of a departure from the initial post but now I am curious....
In a purse, their bra, a coat/outerwear pocket, or in their hand for what seems to be 24/7.

kevinof
Jun 29, 2012, 09:05 AM
My partner carries hers in her bag or back jeans pocket!

bad03xtreme
Jun 29, 2012, 09:06 AM
Pics or it didn't happen... :p

dw3bb10
Jun 29, 2012, 09:46 AM
The Galaxy S III has a bigger screen, beefier processor, and most importantly, an LTE radio. So, ofcourse the iPhone 4 will have batter battery life!

db2431
Jun 29, 2012, 09:47 AM
The cell standby high usage is just a known harmless bug, it isnt actually using as much as it says, you can root your phone and edit some file to make it show the correct usage but it doesnt bother me.

Also every test Ive seen along with my own experience has the s3 having a way better battery life than the 4/4s.Just to add Im not a fanboy of Android or ios, I just like buying as what as I see as the best device at the time.

Twixt
Jun 29, 2012, 10:09 AM
Good to read honest review by a woman who is not afraid of size

Azadre
Jun 29, 2012, 10:29 AM
Why is it that every glowing review uses the phrase 'feels nice in the hand'. This makes wonder if this is an astroturf.

ChazUK
Jun 29, 2012, 10:46 AM
Great read Wrathwitch.

To answer your question on women carrying phones, my wife has a Galaxy S III and she keeps hers in a dedicated phone pocket in her handbag. :)

Me? I shove mine in my pocket!

Zaft
Jun 29, 2012, 11:01 AM
Great read Wrathwitch.

To answer your question on women carrying phones, my wife has a Galaxy S III and she keeps hers in a dedicated phone pocket in her handbag. :)

Me? I shove mine in my pocket!

i am seriously tired of people saying "it wont fit in my pocket" lol.
the only phone that would have trouble is the NOTE.

0m3ga
Jun 29, 2012, 11:26 AM
Welcome to the S3 club wrathwitch.

Battery life is a tricky thing on all phones and can be effected by many factors:

If your phone is trying to switch between 3G and HSPA+ for instance, it will drain.
If you use live wallpapers, widgets that constantly wake the phone for internet data (weather widget for example), keeping the screen above 50%, keeping a background app open and running (like Pandora), etc... This is the same for any phone.

Anyway, unless I am on LTE, I will easily get 17+ hours and much more than the iphone. And don't forget, it's very easy to buy another battery and just leave it in your purse as an emergency backup. :D

Stuntman06
Jun 29, 2012, 11:48 AM
What is bloody wierd is that I am getting a crap tonne of battery drain from Cell standby when I use the battery guage to see what resources are using power. I am still working on this to see how I can configure it. I am getting a full day out of the phone, but I hear others are doing much better than I (even after going to several sites and learning tips on how to best conserve battery on Android phone).

There is a bug on the SGS3 that incorrectly reports the battery usage for Cell Standby. The bug affects what is reported on the battery usage screen and does not actually cause the battery to drain. Perhaps your phone has that bug.

My issue is that from wake up 04:50a.m(unplug from charger) checked 2 emails, messed with settings til 06:07a.m I went from 100% to 95% (not sure if this is normal but seems a bit excessive.

I have an HTC Desire Z. I have notice that sometimes the battery meter jumps quite a bit from time to time. It may jump a bit after some initial use, but then after some more prolonged use, it doesn't jump as much as the initial use. Not sure exactly the reason for this.

I think that a better indication of battery use is what the meter says after a full day's use rather that a few minutes of use. Do you need to charge your phone part way through the day? What percentage of battery power do you have at the end of the day with your SGS3 compared to an iPhone?

One other thing you may not be aware of is that manufacturers claim that when you first use your new phone, the battery will not last as long as when after you have been using it for a few weeks. On both my HTC and my old Nokia phones, the instruction manual says this. For modern batteries, a brand new one doesn't last as long as one that has been used for a few weeks. I have noticed this personally on both my current HTC phone and my old Nokia phone.

Now part of the reason I think a new phone's battery doesn't last as long as one that has been used for a few weeks is that when I get a new phone, I am using it a lot more than after a month or two. With a new device, I cannot help but tinker with it to get it configured the way I like. Now that I have my phone for a year and a half, I mostly just use it to do every day things which I can do rather quickly. I have no need to change my home screens or try out new apps and widgets every single day like I did when I first got the phone.

For the reasons above, I think a more accurate way to judge battery life is that you need to wait a few weeks and then see how much battery is left at the end of the day and compare what you remember to your old phone. When I first got my Nokia and HTC phones, I did have to charge it often before the day is over. After a few weeks, they generally last throughout the day with juice to spare. The only times I really have to charge it part before the day is over is usuall if I'm using the GPS feature for any significant length of time (45 minutes or more). It is very rare that I would have to charge it before the end of the day at any other time.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new phone.

nefan65
Jun 29, 2012, 11:50 AM
Welcome to the S3 club wrathwitch.

Battery life is a tricky thing on all phones and can be effected by many factors:

If your phone is trying to switch between 3G and HSPA+ for instance, it will drain.
If you use live wallpapers, widgets that constantly wake the phone for internet data (weather widget for example), keeping the screen above 50%, keeping a background app open and running (like Pandora), etc... This is the same for any phone.

Anyway, unless I am on LTE, I will easily get 17+ hours and much more than the iphone. And don't forget, it's very easy to buy another battery and just leave it in your purse as an emergency backup. :D

I know I'll get flamed for this, but I HAVE to ask. If you have to turn all that stuff off just to get decent battery life, what's the point of having the phone? Why not just get a bar phone?

chambone
Jun 29, 2012, 11:58 AM
I know I'll get flamed for this, but I HAVE to ask. If you have to turn all that stuff off just to get decent battery life, what's the point of having the phone? Why not just get a bar phone?

Yeah, well, battery life is a tricky thing on all phones running Android.

kdarling
Jun 29, 2012, 12:05 PM

Every phone is affected at times. Apple Support recommends (http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html) many of the same ideas:

"Paying attention to just a few commonsense pointers will pay off with a longer battery lifespan and battery life for your iPhone. The most important thing is to keep your iPhone out of the sun or a hot car (including the glove box). Heat will degrade your battery’s performance the most."
Optimize Your iPhone Settings:

Minimize use of location services
Turn off push notifications
Fetch new data less frequently
Turn off push mail
Auto-check fewer email accounts
Turn off Wi-F
Turn off Bluetooth
Use Airplane Mode in low- or no-coverage areas
Adjust brightness
Turn off EQ

blairh
Jun 29, 2012, 12:07 PM
Screen:

SIII screen sucks compared to the 4/4S and One X. Produces artificial colors and suffers from greyish whites and poor brightness. SIII is at it's best with blacks and color. Fails in other regards.

kevinof
Jun 29, 2012, 12:18 PM
... in your opinion.

SIII screen sucks compared to the 4/4S and One X. Produces artificial colors and suffers from greyish whites and poor brightness. SIII is at it's best with blacks and color. Fails in other regards.

onthecouchagain
Jun 29, 2012, 12:19 PM
Why is it that every glowing review uses the phrase 'feels nice in the hand'. This makes wonder if this is an astroturf.

Cause you hold phones in your hands typical? Just a guess.

nefan65
Jun 29, 2012, 12:26 PM
Every phone is affected at times. Apple Support recommends (http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html) many of the same ideas:

I agree, but the items listed are all "features", or items that are supposed to make the SGIII superior to other phones, Android included. My point is what good are all those features, if they need to be turned off? Example: The SGIII is supposed to have an amazing screen. But if you have to turn down brightness 50%, then what good is it? Same for animated wallpapers...I think they're cool, but if they drain the battery so much, then what's the point?

----------

Seems to be...?

Zaft
Jun 29, 2012, 12:32 PM

This has been beaten to death already, its not 2009... android phones have good battery life now.

nefan65
Jun 29, 2012, 12:39 PM
This has been beaten to death already, its not 2009... android phones have good battery life now.

Then why are they chatting about it above? Someone stated that the battery life wasn't great on their new SGIII, and the recommendations were to turn things off...

I've also read this on other forums; both on this phone and the Nexus.

0m3ga
Jun 29, 2012, 12:46 PM

IP4s sucks compared to the S3. To washed out and uses a dull halogen white. iP4s is best when the screen is off, so it can get more than 4 hours of battery life. Fails in other regards.

nefan65
Jun 29, 2012, 12:49 PM
IP4s sucks compared to the S3. To washed out and uses a dull halogen white. iP4s is best when the screen is off, so it can get more than 4 hours of battery life. Fails in other regards.

Having compared the two side/side, it far from "Sucks".

Nice post thought. It shows how credible you are [or not in this case].

Vegastouch
Jun 29, 2012, 12:50 PM

Womens pants pockets arent near as big as ours so i completely understand why she said that. I always found it funny when i saw a girl with a phone in her small back pocket. Also maybe you have noticed they wear their pants tight. Cant really fit anything in tight pants comfortably.

ebolamonkey3
Jun 29, 2012, 12:51 PM
Cell standby is usually what consumes the most power on a mobile device next to the screen. Wireless on the other hand, consumes much less power.

Try to find out if there are widgets for toggling LTE, 3G, Wifi and Bluetooth for the SGSIII. What I usually do is turn 3G/4G off as long as I have wifi, and Bluetooth is off almost all the time (only when I pair it w/ another bluetooth device, which is almost never), and GPS is on all the time.

I set my weather to update every 2 or 3hrs as opposed to every hour. Email is set to push but you can set it to manual or every 3 hrs (or something like that) to save battery. This way I can make my Evo 3D last a whole day, and that's only got a 1700mAH battery (2100mAH in yours).

Quicker settings is a great app that lets you put all those toggles into one app, and I have it pinned to the first page. But I don't know if it lets you toggle LTE or not, which is the biggest battery drain.

0m3ga
Jun 29, 2012, 12:56 PM

You iFaithful really need to take a reading comprehension class. Where did I ever say you had to turns anything off? I simply pointed out things that drain battery on ANY phone.

The iP4s battery already sucks a55, but if you had widgets, LTE and live wallpapers installed, you'd be lucky to see a two hours of up time. I use my phone continuously, especially in the car with Google Nav, Pandora and email/texts running in the background. And I still get 17+ hours. But I don't use live wallpapers or widgets that require constant updates from the web. Care to share if you have ever seen 17+ hours on your iphone (with even moderate use?)

Vegastouch
Jun 29, 2012, 12:56 PM

The bluish tint dont bother most people and they dont notice it.
Just because you like to have your screen turned up all the way dont mean the screen sucks on the GS3.
I bet you wouldnt have even noticed if it wasnt mentioned in the other thread.

0m3ga
Jun 29, 2012, 12:58 PM
Having compared the two side/side, it far from "Sucks".

Nice post thought. It shows how credible you are [or not in this case].

I own both. You spent a couple minutes looking at one. I guess we know who is more credible. You can go back to la la land now.

SurferMan
Jun 29, 2012, 01:08 PM
Congrats... and yeh I'm sure it's a little tight in a girls pocket, my GSII fits in my gf's jeans but it's the smaller version at 4.3" and it's a tight fit , the 4S is even a bit tighter in her pocket as it's thicker since girls jeans in general have much tighter fit and tighter/smaller pockets vs mens. Problem with dudes now, is the new fad is skin tight womans size 0 jeans for guys :D , no wonder they have a hard time getting anything in their pockets lol.

But yeh give it a few days and check on battery stats, and like someone else posted XDA is the best for any info/help/modding etc. I still have to check one out but I'm loving my phone with the custom ICS Rom, blazing fast and slightly better battery life then my regular 4 in use which is impressive. I wish our 4S got at least close to the battery life of my GSII or 4, though the current one is a bit better then the 1st one we had. The phone just came out though so there will pry be some hiccups that will be updated no different then Apple and others fixing software issues, like the cell standby error which is common right now.

I'm not a fan of juice defender really, but some like it. And don't bother with any of the task killers as they suck and can cause more issues, the stock one Samsung uses across their line is very good, but Android in general manages it's memory/ram usage well.

So how long before you root? ;)

Easy to sync and integrate with your Mac products as well, plenty of programs if you search and see what you like (to integrate with itunes etc). Or majority of the time I love being able to mount the phone as a drive and quickly move files and do whatever I want to where I want then unmount the phone, simple and efficient. Find myself using drop box a lot though for business documents now, even on the iphones.

nefan65
Jun 29, 2012, 01:09 PM
I own both. You spent a couple minutes looking at one. I guess we know who is more credible. You can go back to la la land now.

Again, credibility. If someone asks as legitimate question, they're called a name [iFaithful].

I have compared them for more than a minute, and in my opinion [like yours] it's not what you say it is...but you'll spout your opinion as fact.

matttye
Jun 29, 2012, 01:10 PM
Don't worry about cell standby drain. It's a reporting error which will hopefully be fixed. The phone is reporting that it's using more battery than it actually is.

Loads of ROM devs at xda-developers have come to this conclusion!

blairh
Jun 29, 2012, 01:10 PM

Total BS. 4/4S produces natural colors. Washed out only compared to the artificial colors produced by Amoled. Dull halogen white? You want dull, compare the 4/4S to a white at full brightness on the SIII. Difference is night and day.

I can use my iPhone 4 with no battery issues. I speak for many. Also your reply is very ridiculous.

You don't like the iPhone, so be it. But IPS is a superior technology compared to Amoled unless you game or watch a lot of movies on your smartphone. Which I don't. Even then IPS is great for video.

nefan65
Jun 29, 2012, 01:12 PM
You iFaithful really need to take a reading comprehension class. Where did I ever say you had to turns anything off? I simply pointed out things that drain battery on ANY phone.

The iP4s battery already sucks a55, but if you had widgets, LTE and live wallpapers installed, you'd be lucky to see a two hours of up time. I use my phone continuously, especially in the car with Google Nav, Pandora and email/texts running in the background. And I still get 17+ hours. But I don't use live wallpapers or widgets that require constant updates from the web. Care to share if you have ever seen 17+ hours on your iphone (with even moderate use?)

I easily get 2 days between charges using my phone for texts, emails, calls, and streaming. Never had issues...

I just shared my phone stuff. Then again, my life doesn't revolve around a phone, the phone revolves around my life. You should try it. Put the phone down...go find a girl. Go out to eat, and see a show or something.

matttye
Jun 29, 2012, 01:18 PM

Battery life is good on this phone compared to other Android phones.

On a usual day I have about 30% battery left when I put it on charge at night. I can get five hours screen on time out of it on an excessive day :p

I think it's easy to obsess about battery life rather than actually think about whether it's adequate. I'm sometimes like "oh ffs, 50%?!" even though it's easily going to last me as long as I need it to.

sbddude
Jun 29, 2012, 01:27 PM
For battery issue, buy and carry a spare battery. You can get one under $10

fallenfeenux
Jun 29, 2012, 01:28 PM
The only thing that'll fit in my GF's back pockets is my money and bank cards =/

blairh
Jun 29, 2012, 01:29 PM
The bluish tint dont bother most people and they dont notice it.
Just because you like to have your screen turned up all the way dont mean the screen sucks on the GS3.
I bet you wouldnt have even noticed if it wasnt mentioned in the other thread.

I went and demoed the SIII with an open and positive mind. It goes beyond the bluish tint. The whites are simply pathetic. Brightness too. These facts are backed up by Anandtech's review. It has nothing to do with keeping brightness at max. When you compare the iPhone and SIII on equal brightness levels with respect to simply levels, the difference is glaring.

Amoled is just an inferior technology when it comes to browsing the web and doing things beyond color games and movies. If it works for some, so be it, but I'm just stating my opinion. I know this view is shared by many. IPS is just a better choice for a smartphone screen IMO. If you disagree and love the SIII, so be it.

0m3ga
Jun 29, 2012, 01:30 PM
I easily get 2 days between charges using my phone for texts, emails, calls, and streaming. Never had issues...

I just shared my phone stuff. Then again, my life doesn't revolve around a phone, the phone revolves around my life. You should try it. Put the phone down...go find a girl. Go out to eat, and see a show or something.

LOL. Lasts 2 days, because you don't use it. It's in standby the majority of the time. Ask me how I know! If I were to do that, I can easily get 4+ days. I'm talking about USING the phone. Up time.

As for me and my life. I've seen more, lived through more and experienced more than you could fathom. I'll leave it at that, because now you are getting into a subject that no civilian could ever understand.

0m3ga
Jun 29, 2012, 01:45 PM
Did I ever once say anything needed to be turned off? No.

Did you not say the S3 screens sucks? Yes, you did.

Do you own or have ever used an S3 and made equal adjustments for comparison between the S3 and iPhone? No. (I have both phones and did a comparison. With equal settings and max brightness, both phones have the same luminocity. The iPhone is more off white and the S3 is slightly blue white, like hid lights. I prefer the soothing blue, due to the rgbg subpixels.)

Do you talk crap about something you have no knowledge about? Yes.

You are an Apple propogandist, nothing more. By the way, 20 bucks says I own more Apple products than you. I just refused to stay on knee pads and suck from the kool-aid teet of Apple like you.

----------

Total BS. 4/4S produces natural colors. Washed out only compared to the artificial colors produced by Amoled. Dull halogen white? You want dull, compare the 4/4S to a white at full brightness on the SIII. Difference is night and day.

I can use my iPhone 4 with no battery issues. I speak for many. Also your reply is very ridiculous.

You don't like the iPhone, so be it. But IPS is a superior technology compared to Amoled unless you game or watch a lot of movies on your smartphone. Which I don't. Even then IPS is great for video.

Tell me. Which tech sucks more battery amoled or ips. Wanna take bets on if the next iphone has ips?

And yes, i have put my ip4 and s3 together and compared them. Have you?

blairh
Jun 29, 2012, 01:56 PM
Did I ever once say anything needed to be turned off? No.

Did you not say the S3 screens sucks? Yes, you did.

Do you own or have ever used an S3 and made equal adjustments for comparison between the S3 and iPhone? No. (I have both phones and did a comparison. With equal settings and max brightness, both phones have the same luminocity. The iPhone is more off white and the S3 is slightly blue white, like hid lights. I prefer the soothing blue, due to the rgbg subpixels.)

Do you talk crap about something you have no knowledge about? Yes.

You are an Apple propogandist, nothing more. By the way, 20 bucks says I own more Apple products than you. I just refused to stay on knee pads and suck from the kool-aid teet of Apple like you.

I won't be replying anymore to you after this post. You are being simply ridiculous.

Yes, you mentioned the iPhone screen is best when it's turned off.

Yes, I said the SIII screen sucks. And I stand by that statement. That's my personal opinion of the SIII screen. It produces terrible whites and is very dim no matter what brightness you set it at.

Yes, I spent a good amount of time comparing the SIII screen and iPhone 4 screen at different levels of brightness in my time demoing it. I find it cute that you assume I did not do such a thing.

Yes, I know exactly what I'm talking about. I've done a lot of research regarding Amoled and IPS technology since demoing the SIII. I've also read up the specific panel used on the SIII. And, the Anandtech review of the SIII essentially backs up everything I'm saying with technical graphs.

Your last paragraph is utterly pathetic and you come across as some ignorant teenager or someone incapable of having a discussion. If you look at my post history you would know how excited I have been by the SIII leading up to my demo. Just because I was wildly disappointed by the SIII's screen does not make me any single thing you have decided to call me. You might want to think twice before throwing out insults just because someone states they prefer IPS over Amoled for their smartphone. It makes you come across as someone entirely incapable of discussion and instead you retort to calling people fanboys and the like if they insult the SIII. Grow up.

Lastly, I am very excited for the LG line of smartphones coming in the fall. IPS, ICS, LTE, etc. Wow, what an Apple fanboy comment I just made.

I'm sure you will reply by insulting me yet again. I won't be replying to you anymore on this forum. I've made a mental note of your sn so if I don't reply to you moving forward, it's not because you have 'won' any discussion.

Yes, I think the SIII screen leaves a lot to be desired. Yes, I think the iPhone 4/4S screen, despite being smaller, is superior to the SIII's. Yes, I realize that some SIII owners or future owners are going to pounce on such a statement. So be it. That's how I honestly feel when I compare the iPhone and SIII screen. Cheers.

----------

Tell me. Which tech sucks more battery amoled or ips. Wanna take bets on if the next iphone has ips?

And yes, i have put my ip4 and s3 together and compared them. Have you?

I honestly have never had an issue with the battery life on any of my iPhone's since using the 3G in 2008. I really don't know why you keep stating this. In my personal use (mix of email/web/music/twitter/everything) the iPhone battery remains up until I go home. If I need to go out late into the night, I usually recharge my iPhone as I'm getting ready.

Yes, the next iPhone will have a IPS screen.

Cheers.

matttye
Jun 29, 2012, 01:56 PM
I went and demoed the SIII with an open and positive mind. It goes beyond the bluish tint. The whites are simply pathetic. Brightness too. These facts are backed up by Anandtech's review. It has nothing to do with keeping brightness at max. When you compare the iPhone and SIII on equal brightness levels with respect to simply levels, the difference is glaring.

Amoled is just an inferior technology when it comes to browsing the web and doing things beyond color games and movies. If it works for some, so be it, but I'm just stating my opinion. I know this view is shared by many. IPS is just a better choice for a smartphone screen IMO. If you disagree and love the SIII, so be it.

Screen looks amazing to me but I'm comparing it to the last phones I've owned: -

- Samsung Galaxy S2
- HTC Desire
- Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
- 1st gen iPhone

(in that order)

I love the look of AMOLEDs and the screen seems plenty bright enough. Deep blacks look amazing and also save power, double yay :D

Vegastouch
Jun 29, 2012, 02:01 PM

Thats what i meant. You wouldnt have noticed it if it werent mentioned in the last thread. Most dont care if their screen is really white and why more contrast on TV's is mentioned a lot for the blacks looking great.

They all have good screens and its just a matter of what you like and it appears you like your screen to be brighter with more whites. Your in the minority on that, which is fine but it doesnt mean the screen on the GS3 sucks. It is in fact a very nice screen and you dont prefer it. Most everyone else is fine with it.

That asside, thats one factor. There are many other things that the phone does better than IP4S and to me , the HTC X not having a micro SD slot is a deal breaker. Otherwise, i really like that phone but for me, that was too big a deal. Just like your screen issue. For me, the screen isnt top priority. It still looks good and there arent many IPS screens out there and the ones that are, ...HTC messed up with the micro slot and i wont buy a LG phone til they prove they have stepped up their game because their phones havent been very good. They havent done that yet.

Shockwave78
Jun 29, 2012, 02:04 PM
I love all these talk about screen specs in detail like some of these people are designing screens for a living or something. Who cares about the specs...if you put two screens side and do a fair amount of comparing you will like whichever one it is you like better. I think a lot of people read all these screen specs, that really engineers should really only care about. They get brainwashed thinking i must have this type of screen and everything else is inferior.

Ask any videophile and they will all tell you the same thing...screen size is everything. They will take a lower quality display if it gives you much more real estate to work with.

0m3ga
Jun 29, 2012, 02:09 PM
post deleted for brevity.

Cheers.

Cheers and adios.

I did my best to get banned on here, but the mods are too nice.

Still, you and a few others made this enjoyable with the back and forth. SIII is the better phone though.

I'm out.

xAnthony
Jun 29, 2012, 02:21 PM
I gotta say that it's kind of embarrassing that there's "men" here who claim that the iPhone is too big and meanwhile, we've got women buying 4.8" Android phones and not complaining about them at all.

I wouldn't expect anything less than seeing your name as the first post in a thread that talks about an Android device.

I'm surprised you haven't made a poll about this post yet....

bassett700
Jun 29, 2012, 02:34 PM
It's amazing how a technology forum can provoke such venom. Android vs. Iphone: really something that needs to be argued about with such anger? They're just phones, guys and gals. Keyboard muscles have taken over the Internet.

P.S. If you want to have a real debate, let's talk about how the Yanks own the Red Sox and their pathetic fans. ;)

VulchR
Jun 29, 2012, 02:44 PM
It's amazing how a technology forum can provoke such venom. Android vs. Iphone: really something that needs to be argued about with such anger? ...

Agreed. As night follows day, these Android/iOS posts quickly degenerate into a lot of unnecessary nastiness. As much as I like the OP's review, I can't help but feel that Android threads should be in a separate sub-forum. I think that would bring down the level of combativeness because provocateurs will have less of an audience, get bored, and leave the moderates to discuss the issues in peace. Also, it would ruffle fewer feathers among those of us who come to MR to learn about Apple's products. Actually, I am getting kinda tired of the nastiness in MR and I am looking for an alternative site that genuinely focuses on Apple's products.

vikingjunior
Jun 29, 2012, 02:52 PM
Doesn't Samsung make the screen for the iphone? Samsung is laughing all the way to the bank.

blairh
Jun 29, 2012, 02:59 PM
Thats what i meant. You wouldnt have noticed it if it werent mentioned in the last thread. Most dont care if their screen is really white and why more contrast on TV's is mentioned a lot for the blacks looking great.

They all have good screens and its just a matter of what you like and it appears you like your screen to be brighter with more whites. Your in the minority on that, which is fine but it doesnt mean the screen on the GS3 sucks. It is in fact a very nice screen and you dont prefer it. Most everyone else is fine with it.

That asside, thats one factor. There are many other things that the phone does better than IP4S and to me , the HTC X not having a micro SD slot is a deal breaker. Otherwise, i really like that phone but for me, that was too big a deal. Just like your screen issue. For me, the screen isnt top priority. It still looks good and there arent many IPS screens out there and the ones that are, ...HTC messed up with the micro slot and i wont buy a LG phone til they prove they have stepped up their game because their phones havent been very good. They havent done that yet.

That's absolutely not true. Every time I've demoed an Android device, I have my iPhone out and I'm comparing both screens. Has nothing to do with anything being said on this forum.

The performance of whites and brightness are both crucial to me when debating a smartphone. I read a lot of articles, browse sites with white backgrounds. A greyish white at full brightness like on the SIII is going to make reading text a chore compared to my iPhone 4. There is a very clear reason why people have proclaimed the One X the best screen on the market. The Super IPS LCD2 technology is second to none with respect to clarity of reading text, display life-like images, etc.

I seriously disagree that my viewpoint is the 'minority' with respect to this preference. You can argue that all you want but I do believe most consumers want a screen that is bright and makes reading text easy. I seriously find it rare that people complain about the retina display aside from the size of it and the occasional 'it's washed out' which tends to come from a feverish Android defender.

I do think the SIII screen sucks. Like I said before, it excels at games and video however most people spend a lot of time browsing and reading text on their smartphones. Sure, you can do so on the SIII, and yes, some people will declare they love this experience on their SIII too. But I feel strongly that in that regard, the IPS technology is vastly superior.

I've never used a microSD card. 64 GB of internal storage is plenty for me. The One X is a very flawed device with its multitasking issues, buggy wi-fi, and protruding camera. I don't fear LG one bit. Optimus is probably the best Android skin on the market. I can't wait to see what they bring to the table in the States. The Optimus LTE II is a killer device.

Zaft
Jun 29, 2012, 03:02 PM
Doesn't Samsung make the screen for the iphone? Samsung is laughing all the way to the bank.

Actually It's mostly Sharp and LG that make the iPhone screen

vikingjunior
Jun 29, 2012, 03:10 PM
Actually It's mostly Sharp and LG that make the iPhone screen

My apologies.

Because if it was Samsung between the iphone and there own smartphones that would be a lot of dough.

Vegastouch
Jun 29, 2012, 03:48 PM
That's absolutely not true. Every time I've demoed an Android device, I have my iPhone out and I'm comparing both screens. Has nothing to do with anything being said on this forum.

The performance of whites and brightness are both crucial to me when debating a smartphone. I read a lot of articles, browse sites with white backgrounds. A greyish white at full brightness like on the SIII is going to make reading text a chore compared to my iPhone 4. There is a very clear reason why people have proclaimed the One X the best screen on the market. The Super IPS LCD2 technology is second to none with respect to clarity of reading text, display life-like images, etc.

I seriously disagree that my viewpoint is the 'minority' with respect to this preference. You can argue that all you want but I do believe most consumers want a screen that is bright and makes reading text easy. I seriously find it rare that people complain about the retina display aside from the size of it and the occasional 'it's washed out' which tends to come from a feverish Android defender.

I do think the SIII screen sucks. Like I said before, it excels at games and video however most people spend a lot of time browsing and reading text on their smartphones. Sure, you can do so on the SIII, and yes, some people will declare they love this experience on their SIII too. But I feel strongly that in that regard, the IPS technology is vastly superior.

I've never used a microSD card. 64 GB of internal storage is plenty for me. The One X is a very flawed device with its multitasking issues, buggy wi-fi, and protruding camera. I don't fear LG one bit. Optimus is probably the best Android skin on the market. I can't wait to see what they bring to the table in the States. The Optimus LTE II is a killer device.

64 GB is plenty but if you buy that for an iPhone...that thing is very expensive. I got a 32 GB micro card for $32. So if i get only a 16GB phone, i have 48 Gigs for only $32 over the upgrade price and the GS3 suppports a 64 GB micro card.

As for the screen, as i said, thats your preference and thats cool but i think most dont care or notice teh bluish tint. I never have my brightness over halfway up.

lordofthereef
Jun 29, 2012, 03:51 PM
Exactly I don't carry a purse, and I don't wear ghetto pants with pockets big enough to fit an iPad in. I wear regular jeans and khakis, and my iPhone fits comfortable in my pants pockets (Don't even notice it), but when I put a case on it I don't like it. So I have been going caseless since the iPhone 3G.

I am 6'1", 180lbs, 32 waist, male (I feel like I am giving an ASL like the good old days!) and wear exactly as you described. I have the GNex (similar in size to the SGS3) along with an iPhone 4S. I have no problems pocketing either device. In fact, the iPhone 4S often flips sideways in my pocket, especially when I sit and then stand back up, while the GNex never does that. Implying that a person needs to where "ghetto pants" in order to pocket this "iPad sized" device is completely over the top. I can see it being a problem in skin tight jeans perhaps, but frankly the iPhone 4/S would be uncomfortable as well here.

----------

As night follows day, these Android/iOS posts quickly degenerate into a lot of unnecessary nastiness. As much as I like the OP's review, I can't help but feel that Android threads should be in a separate sub-forum.

And also as night follows day, you make this same post in every thread that mentions Android. I recommend you write up a good post and save it somewhere to copy and paste. It will save you lots time. Seriously, it will.

applefanDrew
Jun 29, 2012, 04:00 PM

Build Quality:

Screen:

Size:

Speed:

Battery:

Odds and Ends:

Concerning the battery...I don't think the average user should have to "configure" anything. They should be able to pull it out of the box and use it without concern. It's this type of thing that screams "FAIL" about Android to me.

blairh
Jun 29, 2012, 04:09 PM
64 GB is plenty but if you buy that for an iPhone...that thing is very expensive. I got a 32 GB micro card for $32. So if i get only a 16GB phone, i have 48 Gigs for only $32 over the upgrade price and the GS3 suppports a 64 GB micro card.

As for the screen, as i said, thats your preference and thats cool but i think most dont care or notice teh bluish tint. I never have my brightness over halfway up.

It's cool that you can use a microSD card and get that storage for less but honestly it really doesn't bother me to pay more and get the same thing. To me it's a small price to pay to get the smartphone experience you want or need.

I'm open to an Android device in the future. But it has to have a great IPS screen, ICS, LTE, and a physical home button.

Again, I disagree that 'most don't care'. I've seen countless comments from YouTube vids to forums like The Verge where people bluntly state that the One X screen or IPS in general is superior to Amoled. Again, yes it's a matter of opinion, but I really feel strongly about that. If you disagree, so be it.

I could never use a smartphone with half brightness. I like a bright screen which I find easiest to read off of, use, and the best experience in direct sunlight.

mrsir2009
Jun 29, 2012, 04:10 PM
In a purse, their bra, a coat/outerwear pocket, or in their hand for what seems to be 24/7.

Haha, I'll never understand why a large number of woman (that I see, anyway) keep their phone in their bra. It looks awkward and uncomfortable... Maybe they want to draw attention to that area, I dunno, but why not in the pocket where it is probably a lot safer and more comfortable? :o

lordofthereef
Jun 29, 2012, 04:17 PM
Haha, I'll never understand why a large number of woman (that I see, anyway) keep their phone in their bra. It looks awkward and uncomfortable... Maybe they want to draw attention to that area, I dunno, but why not in the pocket where it is probably a lot safer and more comfortable? :o

This is just a guess, but I know I never notice notifications in my pocket when I am walking around (on vibrate). I bet if the phone was vibrating tucked against a breast the alerts are easy to feel. :)

Again, just a guess. I am neither a woman, nor do I personally know anyone that does this (that I am aware of).

Wrathwitch
Jun 29, 2012, 04:24 PM

It is hard to explain other than nice in the hand. If you have ever felt a polished glass stone, when you run your hands around it and it feels kind of smooth and slick (no fear of dropping it as it is not slippery). Well picture that on a larger scale and that is roughly how it feels.

i am seriously tired of people saying "it wont fit in my pocket" lol.
the only phone that would have trouble is the NOTE.

Sorry, I state the facts as I see em. If I were to put it in my pocket and sit down I am either going to break the screen or have the phone start to slide up and out! I don't wear tight pants either!

There is a bug on the SGS3 that incorrectly reports the battery usage for Cell Standby. The bug affects what is reported on the battery usage screen and does not actually cause the battery to drain. Perhaps your phone has that bug.

I think that a better indication of battery use is what the meter says after a full day's use rather that a few minutes of use. Do you need to charge your phone part way through the day? What percentage of battery power do you have at the end of the day with your SGS3 compared to an iPhone?

One other thing you may not be aware of is that manufacturers claim that when you first use your new phone, the battery will not last as long as when after you have been using it for a few weeks. On both my HTC and my old Nokia phones, the instruction manual says this. For modern batteries, a brand new one doesn't last as long as one that has been used for a few weeks. I have noticed this personally on both my current HTC phone and my old Nokia phone.

Now part of the reason I think a new phone's battery doesn't last as long as one that has been used for a few weeks is that when I get a new phone, I am using it a lot more than after a month or two. With a new device, I cannot help but tinker with it to get it configured the way I like. Now that I have my phone for a year and a half, I mostly just use it to do every day things which I can do rather quickly. I have no need to change my home screens or try out new apps and widgets every single day like I did when I first got the phone.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new phone.

No I haven't had to charge it mid day and you are correct in some aspects, but I am just comparing it to the battery useage I am used to with the iP4

Wow, you must be some expert screen guy because when I fired it up and started surfing the web and reading articles I was delighted at now nice and clear and large the pages rendered....colours look amazing. To each his or her own I guess....I really notice anything negative about the screen at all.

So how long before you root? ;)

LOL! I think I will learn to dog paddle before I try to swim the English Channel.

The only thing that'll fit in my GF's back pockets is my money and bank cards =/

Haha!! I wish I had a guy like you givin me the money! have to make my own :(

Yep I disagree. Either you are some screen pro guy or you went in basing your analysis on what you had previously read and had your mind made up. I found web surfing etc to be a pleasure and the side views, not that I really need them were sufficient for MY use. Oh and yes I agree with you, the brightness levels between iPhone and SSGS3 ARE glaring in the difference, iP4 I can blind myself quite readily, but so far, even during daytime usage, SSGS3 has not been difficult to use or impossible to use due to being too low.

mrsir2009
Jun 29, 2012, 04:24 PM
This is just a guess, but I know I never notice notifications in my pocket when I am walking around (on vibrate). I bet if the phone was vibrating tucked against a breast the alerts are easy to feel. :)

Again, just a guess. I am neither a woman, nor do I personally know anyone that does this (that I am aware of).

True, true... I don't feel it vibrate when it's in my pocket either. I jus think it would be kinda embarrassing and self conscious to keep it there... more than if your phone chirped in quiet environment.

ericrwalker
Jun 29, 2012, 04:38 PM
Maybe you are having trouble understanding what I said.

I never said I had trouble pocketing the iphone with a case on it. It fits fine. As a matter of fact I probably could fit 3 in my pockets.

What I was saying is it's bulky. I can notice it there. It also doesn't just slide in with a case on, but I don't really care about that. Without a case, it's slim enough that I don't notice it in my pocket. That's what I prefer, I hate pocket bulk. As a matter of fact, I don't like bulky keys either. I have a detachable keychain and I leave all my keys in the car when I am out, except my car key. BTW, no I don't wear skinny jean. I am a man.

I am 6'1", 180lbs, 32 waist, male (I feel like I am giving an ASL like the good old days!) and wear exactly as you described. I have the GNex (similar in size to the SGS3) along with an iPhone 4S. I have no problems pocketing either device. In fact, the iPhone 4S often flips sideways in my pocket, especially when I sit and then stand back up, while the GNex never does that. Implying that a person needs to where "ghetto pants" in order to pocket this "iPad sized" device is completely over the top. I can see it being a problem in skin tight jeans perhaps, but frankly the iPhone 4/S would be uncomfortable as well here.

----------

And also as night follows day, you make this same post in every thread that mentions Android. I recommend you write up a good post and save it somewhere to copy and paste. It will save you lots time. Seriously, it will.

blairh
Jun 29, 2012, 04:44 PM
Yep I disagree. Either you are some screen pro guy or you went in basing your analysis on what you had previously read and had your mind made up. I found web surfing etc to be a pleasure and the side views, not that I really need them were sufficient for MY use. Oh and yes I agree with you, the brightness levels between iPhone and SSGS3 ARE glaring in the difference, iP4 I can blind myself quite readily, but so far, even during daytime usage, SSGS3 has not been difficult to use or impossible to use due to being too low.

If it works for you, that's cool, but I'm just stating what I've personally experienced and my impressions. I've demoed pretty much all the big release Android devices in the past 6 months. I like ICS and have been very curious about potentially jumping ship. And yet I find all these Amoled screens to be a serious step down from my iPhone's IPS display. The One X was the first screen that not only rivaled my iPhone but actually topped it. No surprise, it's an IPS screen too.

Like I said, if you like your SIII screen, awesome. But I am just one of many who prefer an IPS screen.

lordofthereef
Jun 29, 2012, 04:44 PM
Maybe you are having trouble understanding what I said.

Nope no trouble. I was responding to the following statement specifically:
Exactly I don't carry a purse, and I don't wear ghetto pants with pockets big enough to fit an iPad in. I wear regular jeans and khakis
Which was a direct response to someone saying the phone doesn't fit in her pants pocket. Perhaps what you were thinking isn't what you typed, or at least in the wrong context? I tend do that some times, for sure.

Who really wears pants large enough to fit an iPad in? I have never seen anyone. Maybe I am not in the right (or wrong) neighborhood.

PS made the skinny jeans comment as an "in general" comment, not something against you. Apologies if it came off that way.

ericrwalker
Jun 29, 2012, 05:32 PM
LOL no problem, and feel free to make fun of anyone who wears skinny jeans. Well I am firm on that fact that I don't want it bigger, mainly because of the feel in the pocket. Though I would still buy an iPhone probably no matter the size, because I am a huge iOS fan.

Nope no trouble. I was responding to the following statement specifically:

Which was a direct response to someone saying the phone doesn't fit in her pants pocket. Perhaps what you were thinking isn't what you typed, or at least in the wrong context? I tend do that some times, for sure.

Who really wears pants large enough to fit an iPad in? I have never seen anyone. Maybe I am not in the right (or wrong) neighborhood.

PS made the skinny jeans comment as an "in general" comment, not something against you. Apologies if it came off that way.

cynics
Jun 29, 2012, 05:36 PM

I wouldn't say its inferior tech just cause you don't like it. Ask yourself this, why does Samsung make Retina displays but use a more expensive amoled display in their devices?

Its a less power hungry technology, so if you look at from that perspective then its superior for browsing the web and things beyond games and movies. Its a real give and take IMO. Besides if you feel its over saturated then go into the settings and adjust it.

Personally I only notice difference if I lay the two phones side by side. Real world they both look great to me since I never have them side by side...

ixodes
Jun 29, 2012, 05:39 PM

I gotta say that it's kind of embarrassing that there's "men" here who claim that the iPhone is too big and meanwhile, we've got women buying 4.8" Android phones and not complaining about them at all.

Enjoy your device!
I agree completely. Apple can afford to rest on their laurels (which is what they are doing) and collect a massive amount of cash as they sell what is essentially a warmed over iP4, with the relatively gimmicky Siri.

While voice commands may or may not have a place in the future as they improve the software and work out the bugs, remains an unknown.

Yes it draws a lot of attention, but respectfully, Apple has a very young, easily influenced, easily impressed crowd of buyers. Voice commands as a way to interact with a computer have been around in mass production and high volume since Mercedes Benz refined theirs in the year 2000. I know, I had one.

It was possible to command the phone / computer / navigation / monitoring system by voice, to do every bit as much in terms of functions ... and more.. than Siri.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT bashing Siri, simply sharing my thoughts, experiences, and all with it as implemented on my iPhone 4S.

Not to mention I'm _not_ comparing it to my present 2012 Mercedes S class with full telematics. That car's level of automation is stunning.

Whether it be a new top of the line MBZ or BMW, Jag or Aston Martin as just a very few examples of luxury class cars with fully functional command systems, Siri is relatively unimpressive.

I just took delivery of my new AT&T Galaxy S III ahead of it's public release. Comparing it to the domestic market version I've had for several weeks is quite interesting. The difference in processors in unintelligible.

It's a very nice smartphone that performs in an exemplary manor. Far more sophisticated and advanced than the present iPhone.

I _know_ Apple can out do this phone .... yet the question is "will they?"

blairh
Jun 29, 2012, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't say its inferior tech just cause you don't like it. Ask yourself this, why does Samsung make Retina displays but use a more expensive amoled display in their devices?

Its a less power hungry technology, so if you look at from that perspective then its superior for browsing the web and things beyond games and movies. Its a real give and take IMO. Besides if you feel its over saturated then go into the settings and adjust it.

Personally I only notice difference if I lay the two phones side by side. Real world they both look great to me since I never have them side by side...

It goes beyond me 'not liking it'. I really think IPS is a superior screen technology for smartphones. I can list the reasons why, but at the end of the day it is my opinion only. However like I said before, just from reading comments, reviews, it appears most people concede that the One X screen is superior, and that uses an LCD 2.

With respect to your claim that Samsung uses a more expensive panel in their devices, that appears to be entirely untrue (http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/samsungs-amoled-gamble-lead-and-your-worst-enemies-will-follow/).

"Economically, the use of AMOLEDs is more feasible for Apple’s iPhone line than for the iPad, and in fact may be slightly more affordable. According to Samsung, an LTPS AMOLED screen for its Galaxy S series costs $1.01 per cm2. A LTPS LCD used in an iPhone costs $1.02 per square cm2."

Ah, the battery life argument I keep hearing. Well I have two counters to that. One, battery life has never been an issue with me in my 4 years of owning an iPhone. In fact I find in my normal use with brightness at max that I rarely hit 50% by the time I get home unless I'm doing something especially taxing for long periods of time. (Like waiting in the airport for a flight and browsing the web for a few hours.) So I can't say I really need a device with more battery life. (Though of course I do welcome it.)

Second, and more importantly, this claim that the SIII has substantially better battery life compared to say the 4S appears to be completely untrue (http://www.anandtech.com/show/6022/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review-att-and-tmobile-usa-variants/3). If anything, from all the reviews I've read, the SIII appears to be just about on par with the 4S. Furthermore the 4S appears to still beat it in things like browsing over wi-fi.

I did adjust the SIII in settings using the different modes and it did little to match the natural and accurate colors of an IPS display.

Like I've said to others, if you like your SIII display, great, but I think IPS is the superior display technology for smartphones. And forget this notion that you need to have one display next to another to see the difference. It's clear to me without doing so, and the difference is only exacerbated when you put the Amoled and IPS displays side by side.

KoukiFC3S
Jun 29, 2012, 06:30 PM

AMOLEDs use a lot more power to display whites. So while web browsing, the LCD will get better battery life.

VulchR
Jun 29, 2012, 06:47 PM

Excellent idea!

Seriously, though, I'll tell you what I get told when I do raise the Android issue: '(1) if you don't like a post or thread, don't read it; and (2) if you believe a post is trolling alert the mods. Otherwise, live with it.' I suppose this works all ways...

blairh
Jun 29, 2012, 06:50 PM
AMOLEDs use a lot more power to display whites. So while web browsing, the LCD will get better battery life.

I'm literally listening to the latest episode of The Verge Mobile Show right now and at the 45:00 mark one of the hosts is discussing the SIII on AT&T and says this exact thing.

cynics
Jun 29, 2012, 06:55 PM
It goes beyond me 'not liking it'. I really think IPS is a superior screen technology for smartphones. I can list the reasons why, but at the end of the day it is my opinion only. However like I said before, just from reading comments, reviews, it appears most people concede that the One X screen is superior, and that uses an LCD 2.

With respect to your claim that Samsung uses a more expensive panel in their devices, that appears to be entirely untrue (http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/samsungs-amoled-gamble-lead-and-your-worst-enemies-will-follow/).

"Economically, the use of AMOLEDs is more feasible for Apple’s iPhone line than for the iPad, and in fact may be slightly more affordable. According to Samsung, an LTPS AMOLED screen for its Galaxy S series costs $1.01 per cm2. A LTPS LCD used in an iPhone costs $1.02 per square cm2."

Ah, the battery life argument I keep hearing. Well I have two counters to that. One, battery life has never been an issue with me in my 4 years of owning an iPhone. In fact I find in my normal use with brightness at max that I rarely hit 50% by the time I get home unless I'm doing something especially taxing for long periods of time. (Like waiting in the airport for a flight and browsing the web for a few hours.) So I can't say I really need a device with more battery life. (Though of course I do welcome it.)

Second, and more importantly, this claim that the SIII has substantially better battery life compared to say the 4S appears to be completely untrue (http://www.anandtech.com/show/6022/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review-att-and-tmobile-usa-variants/3). If anything, from all the reviews I've read, the SIII appears to be just about on par with the 4S. Furthermore the 4S appears to still beat it in things like browsing over wi-fi.

I did adjust the SIII in settings using the different modes and it did little to match the natural and accurate colors of an IPS display.

Like I've said to others, if you like your SIII display, great, but I think IPS is the superior display technology for smartphones. And forget this notion that you need to have one display next to another to see the difference. It's clear to me without doing so, and the difference is only exacerbated when you put the Amoled and IPS displays side by side.

?

I'm confused. You quote about the display being 1 cent different in your article but ignore the billions invested into it? But ignore the price. Why would Samsung make the superior IPS display but use an amoled?

As far as battery life is concerned, I'm not talking about phones, technically I wasn't talking about battery life. So "completely untrue" about something I wasnt talking about? Anyway i was just saying LCD is a power hungry technology. I don't think the IPS LCD is long for this world when Apple starts making larger screen iPhones and can't cram a massive battery in like the new iPad. That's always been my gripe with HTC. Regardless no phone last me all day so its a moot point.

I do agree I don't always need a phone to be side my side to see its shortcomings it just helps. Like on my 4S, its black so its easy to see how bad the blacks are on screen. Poor contrast ratio is pretty obvious too but that's inherent with LCD technology. I imagine if I had a white iPhone the black's would look better and the whites would really pop...

nooaah
Jun 29, 2012, 06:57 PM
Yea, cause all women are midgets and all men are giants. :rolleyes:

On another note: I thought it was suppose to have equal or better bat life than the iPhone.

Most men's hands are bigger than most women's hands. That's just biology.

I tried out a Nexus before I pre-ordered my S3 just to get a handle of the size and I had no problems reaching anything with one hand. I'm only 5'8" or 5'9" and my hands aren't catcher's mits. :D

blairh
Jun 29, 2012, 07:13 PM
?

I'm confused. You quote about the display being 1 cent different in your article but ignore the billions invested into it? But ignore the price. Why would Samsung make the superior IPS display but use an amoled?

As far as battery life is concerned, I'm not talking about phones, technically I wasn't talking about battery life. So "completely untrue" about something I wasnt talking about? Anyway i was just saying LCD is a power hungry technology. I don't think the IPS LCD is long for this world when Apple starts making larger screen iPhones and can't cram a massive battery in like the new iPad. That's always been my gripe with HTC. Regardless no phone last me all day so its a moot point.

I do agree I don't always need a phone to be side my side to see its shortcomings it just helps. Like on my 4S, its black so its easy to see how bad the blacks are on screen. Poor contrast ratio is pretty obvious too but that's inherent with LCD technology. I imagine if I had a white iPhone the black's would look better and the whites would really pop...

First off, you stated that Amoled displays cost Samsung more versus what Apple was paying for their IPS's. Clearly that isn't the case.

Second, the answer to your question, 'why would Samsung make the superior IPS display but use an amoled' is entirely answered in the article I linked. Samsung is investing in Amoled because they made said decision keeping all devices in mind (LCD's, tablets, smartphones, etc). Plus, as the article goes on to state, they are trying to sway the market with competitors. They want competitors to adopt Amoled. There hope is that embracing Amoled on their side will lead to the competition doing so too.

"As far as battery life is concerned, I'm not talking about phones, technically I wasn't talking about battery life."

What the f kind of response is this. Come on man. You clearly were talking about battery life in smartphones. You mentioned browsing the web and playing games. This is ridiculous.

Yes, the next iPhone will have an IPS display and that probably won't be changing anytime soon.

Neverbepeace
Jun 29, 2012, 08:37 PM

Though I own a case for when I take it skiing or hunting or someplace I think I might break it.

What do you mean by "Ghetto":confused:

"Baggy" would of been a better alternative don't you think?

ericrwalker
Jun 29, 2012, 08:47 PM
What do you mean by "Ghetto":confused:

"Baggy" would of been a better alternative don't you think?

No, there is a difference.

Neverbepeace
Jun 29, 2012, 08:53 PM
No, there is a difference.

Please explain the difference.......

ericrwalker
Jun 29, 2012, 09:04 PM
Please explain the difference.......

I would say its a combination of the brand and how you wear them. South pole pants, and I can see more than an inch of your underwear, definitely ghetto.

asr10 user
Jun 29, 2012, 10:02 PM
Wow, looks like a bunch of people are feeling like leaving Apple with the disappointment of iOS5. Its similar to when die hard blackberry users switched because BB didnt follow the times and got stuck in their own ways.

I love my ip4 and love my android tablet. I will still wait for the iPhone 5 to be announced before making a decision. I also only want to get a Nexus phone so I can always have the newest version of Android, wouldnt want to be one of those Android users stuck on non ICS with a year old phone.

lordofthereef
Jun 30, 2012, 10:26 AM
Excellent idea!

Seriously, though, I'll tell you what I get told when I do raise the Android issue: '(1) if you don't like a post or thread, don't read it; and (2) if you believe a post is trolling alert the mods. Otherwise, live with it.' I suppose this works all ways...

I am not sure if you believe that I thought you were trolling, so to clarify I didn't think that. I have just noticed you sound like a broken record, on this topic specifically. It's tough to "not read a post" in a thread you are interested in, especially when the poster often does have legitimate things to say (a compliment, to be clear).

Either way, simply repeating that we need a different thread for these things isn't going to make it so. People that actually care ad think this needs to happen should probably write a clear and concise note to the mods on why this would be beneficial to the community. That might actually incite change. Just a suggestion of course. For all I know you may have already done this! ;)

SR45
Jun 30, 2012, 10:34 AM
Cheers and adios.

Still, you and a few others made this enjoyable with the back and forth. SIII is the better phone though.

I'm out.

Thank God. Can't understand the Android trolls coming to this forum to post in the first place. Does not change my mind except that you Android trolls are wacko

VulchR
Jun 30, 2012, 03:49 PM
Either way, simply repeating that we need a different thread for these things isn't going to make it so. People that actually care ad think this needs to happen should probably write a clear and concise note to the mods on why this would be beneficial to the community. That might actually incite change. Just a suggestion of course. For all I know you may have already done this! ;)

I do not propose a different thread - just a sub-forum dedicated to iOS vs other mobile OS's, in which the Android threads would seem to fit better than in a generic iPhone forum. I and others have raised this with the admins (there are at least two threads about this in the Site and Forum Feedback forum). I also posted a poll, and suffice it to say rather more MR readers favored a separate forum than leaving things as they are. Thus, I and others have tried to raise this issue, but the owners of MR are sticking to the status quo for reasons I still do not understand. :( Perhaps one day I will wear them down (or more likely get banned for being a pain in the a$$).

ericrwalker
Jun 30, 2012, 04:18 PM
Cheers and adios.

I'm out.

It's a lot easier to get banned if you start supporting the GOP in the political threads.

KPOM
Jun 30, 2012, 05:06 PM
Interesting. I had the Nexus One for nearly 2 years and then switched to the iPhone 4S and don't intend to look back. Google abandoned the Nexus One about 1 OS update too little, probably because they botched the design and didn't give it enough internal storage to accommodate the OS. I figured if this his how Google treats its own flagship, then why should I expect the Galaxy Nexus (much less the Samsung Galaxy SG III) to get any better treatment. It took a while before I got the Gingerbread update, as well. From what I recall, you couldn't just download and install it. You had to wait until Google decided to send the update to your particular phone. Even now, they released Jelly Bean when 93% of Android phones are running Gingerbread or earlier versions.

While Android has its strengths, such as the tight integration of turn-by-turn navigation, as well as notifications, I like iOS.

Ayemerica
Jun 30, 2012, 05:08 PM
Very good review.

SGIII, GNEX, are both great phones. The only Android phones that are "bad" are the entry level ones. I'll always use iOS just because it gets everything I need done. JB is looking really polished and is going to make apple wake up a little bit.

SurferMan
Jun 30, 2012, 05:58 PM
I do not propose a different thread - just a sub-forum dedicated to iOS vs other mobile OS's, in which the Android threads would seem to fit better than in a generic iPhone forum. I and others have raised this with the admins (there are at least two threads about this in the Site and Forum Feedback forum). I also posted a poll, and suffice it to say rather more MR readers favored a separate forum than leaving things as they are. Thus, I and others have tried to raise this issue, but the owners of MR are sticking to the status quo for reasons I still do not understand. :( Perhaps one day I will wear them down (or more likely get banned for being a pain in the a$$).This is the only board I know of that does this, any other forum I'm on has sub forums, I race and main board has a sub forum for other makes. Android forums do, audio forums, Ford and GM etc boards have sub forums for each other on their boards

Its so easy to do and add but the people running this site for whatever reason wont , even though its been asked for dozens and dozens of times.

mbell1975
Jun 30, 2012, 06:21 PM
Interesting. I had the Nexus One for nearly 2 years and then switched to the iPhone 4S and don't intend to look back. Google abandoned the Nexus One about 1 OS update too little, probably because they botched the design and didn't give it enough internal storage to accommodate the OS. I figured if this his how Google treats its own flagship, then why should I expect the Galaxy Nexus (much less the Samsung Galaxy SG III) to get any better treatment. It took a while before I got the Gingerbread update, as well. From what I recall, you couldn't just download and install it. You had to wait until Google decided to send the update to your particular phone. Even now, they released Jelly Bean when 93% of Android phones are running Gingerbread or earlier versions.

While Android has its strengths, such as the tight integration of turn-by-turn navigation, as well as notifications, I like iOS.

The Nexus was always supposed to be a developer phone, not so much a consumer phone. My friends with the Nexus One still have the new versions of Android way before others. Guess you should have done some research before buying or learned to root and flash ROMs.

Wrathwitch
Jul 1, 2012, 12:19 AM
Very good review.

SGIII, GNEX, are both great phones. The only Android phones that are "bad" are the entry level ones. I'll always use iOS just because it gets everything I need done. JB is looking really polished and is going to make apple wake up a little bit.

Thank you.

As an update I have noticed a lacking: my two fave games PvZ and Bejeweled blitz don't seem to be supported. Not a huge deal breaker but annoying none the less.

lilo777
Jul 1, 2012, 12:31 AM
Thank you.

As an update I have noticed a lacking: my two fave games PvZ and Bejeweled blitz don't seem to be supported. Not a huge deal breaker but annoying none the less.

You'll find new fave games and it is possible that not all of them will be available on iOS. The two platforms are not identical. But we can expect that in the future most (if not all) most popular games will be released on both platforms - unless Android becomes too dominant and, just like in Windows/Macs case, companies drop support for iOS.

DodgeV83
Jul 1, 2012, 02:17 AM
Thank you.

Fragmentation :(

Calidude
Jul 1, 2012, 08:09 AM
Thank God. Can't understand the Android trolls coming to this forum to post in the first place. Does not change my mind except that you Android trolls are wacko
Android users don't come to this forum. They were former iOS users who recently converted, just like the OP and myself.

----------

It's a lot easier to get banned if you start supporting the GOP in the political threads.
Basically, if you criticize Obama or Apple, you'll find that you get a lot more warnings in your inbox. That's just how it is here.

jdlorinser
Jul 1, 2012, 09:59 AM
To the people saying that the GS3 screen has whites that are dingy and brightness that is just not bright even when turned up: Samsung has a setting on all of they're Amoled phones that drastically decreases the intensity of the screen, making it look dull and unattractive. They actually ship the phones with this setting on and they do it to achieve maximum battery life. This is not a good idea on Samsung's part as it turns people away from the phone, just look at all the negative statements in this thread about the screen.

On the GS3 this setting is found in: Settings; Display; 'Auto adjust screentone' uncheck the box. It makes a world of difference. Whites are whiter, brightness is brighter... all with no noticeable difference in battery life. Samsung what were you thinking?!

Calidude
Jul 1, 2012, 10:19 AM
On the GS3 this setting is found in: Settings; Display; 'Auto adjust screentone' uncheck the box. It makes a world of difference. Whites are whiter, brightness is brighter... all with no noticeable difference in battery life. Samsung what were you thinking?!
Yep, I confirm this. It's called "Content Adaptive Brightness" and the Galaxy Nexus has it too but it can be disabled with a custom kernel or mod easily found on XDA.

SR45
Jul 1, 2012, 10:49 AM
Android users don't come to this forum. They were former iOS users who recently converted, just like the OP and myself.

----------

Basically, if you criticize Obama or Apple, you'll find that you get a lot more warnings in your inbox. That's just how it is here.

Than why is it, that you are still here, and not stay on the Android forums ? You get a kick out of bashing the iPhone ?

thewaffle
Jul 1, 2012, 11:16 AM
when I chose my new phone I seriously debated for weeks between the HTC One X, GSIII, Iphone 4S and Nokia 900 (Windows phone); the lack of an update to WP8 was a deal breaker on the Nokia. I knew between the latter 3 phones I couldn't go wrong but in the end I went with an IPhone for the sheer number of accessories, apps, etc. From microphones (I record some live artist) to speaker docks, to clock radios to tons of applications I knew I was making a sound purchase and decision. The screen size on the android phones was the biggest appeal to me towards the other phones but I'm soon investing in a tablet for my media consumption needs/sofa reading.

onthecouchagain
Jul 1, 2012, 11:37 AM
Than why is it, that you are still here, and not stay on the Android forums ? You get a kick out of bashing the iPhone ?

For me, I'm still an Apple fan (I own iPad and Macs, if that matters), and even though I've moved from the 4S to the Galaxy Nexus, Apple and the iPhone are still on my radar. Just because people switch devices doesn't mean they're committed to that new device indefinitely. In other words, there's a chance people may switch back depending on what Apple does, and so, for me, I still enjoy discussing the iPhone.

Having said that, the ship is definitely sailing, and already I find myself visiting the forums less and less. More importantly, I find myself engaging less in the conversations between Android/iOS. Ultimately, people have their opinions about which OS is best for them, and so whatever shortcomings that OS has, they must feel it's worth dealing with. Not much can be said beyond clearing up misconceptions and obfuscations of each platform, or calling out any intellectually dishonest representations of the respective OSes. Beyond that, it's people's choices.

Vegastouch
Jul 1, 2012, 11:42 AM
To the people saying that the GS3 screen has whites that are dingy and brightness that is just not bright even when turned up: Samsung has a setting on all of they're Amoled phones that drastically decreases the intensity of the screen, making it look dull and unattractive. They actually ship the phones with this setting on and they do it to achieve maximum battery life. This is not a good idea on Samsung's part as it turns people away from the phone, just look at all the negative statements in this thread about the screen.

My Galaxy S doesnt have that so not all the AMOLED 's have it. I only have a brightness level to adjust or have it on Auto, and a power saving mode to check or uncheck and it analyzes the image and auto adjusts the LCD brightness.
However, this phone is on its last hours so glad to know it is in the GS3.

jdlorinser
Jul 1, 2012, 04:22 PM
My Galaxy S doesnt have that so not all the AMOLED 's have it. I only have a brightness level to adjust or have it on Auto, and a power saving mode to check or uncheck and it analyzes the image and auto adjusts the LCD brightness.
However, this phone is on its last hours so glad to know it is in the GS3.

'Power Saving Mode' = the same thing (just worded differently on some devices). Most reviewers and first time users who say "the screen looks dingy' and 'it's not bright enough' don't know that they can turn this setting off and enjoy a more normal looking screen.

Calidude
Jul 1, 2012, 04:35 PM
I'm not on any Android forum. I've been here for over 2 years though. I only stopped using the iPhone 2 weeks ago.

Zaft
Jul 1, 2012, 08:17 PM
I'm not on any Android forum. I've been here for over 2 years though. I only stopped using the iPhone 2 weeks ago.

2 weeks? So it looks like your just trying to justify your purchase

Wrathwitch
Jul 1, 2012, 11:49 PM
2 weeks? So it looks like your just trying to justify your purchase

It looks like you are trolling with weak bait. I have read a lot of calidude's posts and where we may not always agree on every point. He raises some salient ones. Compared to some posters, he comes across as fairly logical and not the type who needs to justify his purchases.

I am still on this forum (probably for the same reason he is) because I like the people in here and I like keeping current with tips, tricks etc which I glean a lot of in MacRumours. It is also a place to find out about other OSs that come out as there are many discussions here.

I also own an iPad, and a iMac as well.

It's not like I am a zealot or reborn Android girl. But I do like to share my experiences in a non biased way.

To further update my OP, I am still having some difficulties with battery life and wondering if it's just because I am used to the amazing life of an iPhone or if I am having battery issues LOL! Device is too new to me to tell!

Anyone here with the SSGS3 tell me what kind of battery life (hours)you get with average use of it?

SaleenS351
Jul 1, 2012, 11:56 PM
It looks like you are trolling with weak bait. I have read a lot of calidude's posts and where we may not always agree on every point. He raises some salient ones. Compared to some posters, he comes across as fairly logical and not the type who needs to justify his purchases.

I am still on this forum (probably for the same reason he is) because I like the people in here and I like keeping current with tips, tricks etc which I glean a lot of in MacRumours. It is also a place to find out about other OSs that come out as there are many discussions here.

I also own an iPad, and a iMac as well.

It's not like I am a zealot or reborn Android girl. But I do like to share my experiences in a non biased way.

To further update my OP, I am still having some difficulties with battery life and wondering if it's just because I am used to the amazing life of an iPhone or if I am having battery issues LOL! Device is too new to me to tell!

Anyone here with the SSGS3 tell me what kind of battery life (hours)you get with average use of it?

I've also noticed too when you get a new phone you tend to play with it a bit more than when you've had the phone for a little while. Not sure if that's the case here. I just ordered a SSGS3 that should be here shortly and I'm coming from an iPhone 4s. I'm sure I'll being using the SSGS3 more than I currently do my iP4s since I'll be unfamiliar with it thus the battery life will drain faster.

AFDoc
Jul 2, 2012, 12:44 AM
I really don't get haptic feedback. Why does one need to have a vibration to notice you have actually touched the device? I added it to my 4s and got rid of it after about 2 minutes of use because for me it served absolutely no purpose and seemed like a huge battery waste.

djrod
Jul 2, 2012, 03:49 AM
What about using the phone with only one hand? I use my iPhone like that like 90% of the time, my girlfriend has a HTC Desire HD, and it's really uncomfortable to use because of the 4.3 " screen

lordofthereef
Jul 2, 2012, 02:33 PM
I do not propose a different thread - just a sub-forum dedicated to iOS vs other mobile OS's, in which the Android threads would seem to fit better than in a generic iPhone forum. I and others have raised this with the admins (there are at least two threads about this in the Site and Forum Feedback forum). I also posted a poll, and suffice it to say rather more MR readers favored a separate forum than leaving things as they are. Thus, I and others have tried to raise this issue, but the owners of MR are sticking to the status quo for reasons I still do not understand. :( Perhaps one day I will wear them down (or more likely get banned for being a pain in the a$$).

If you want my opinion, and I remind you it is ONLY my opinion, a poll is going to tell you a whole lot of nothing. How many people visit these threads each day? How many actually voted in your polls? If I had to take a wild guess I would say it was less than 5% of everyone who visits here daily. You can view the poll however you wish, but with results like that, many polls on MR tell me "most just don't care about the topic at hand".

I will make a recommendation, as you did to me. You seem to not like these threads in this forum. So why don't you just ignore them? I am honestly not trying to be rude here (though I accept that that is how it may come off to some). You essentially suggested I do the same thing after my initial reaction to your posts. If you don't practice what you preach it's a little tough to expect others to do so. Am I wrong?

----------

What about using the phone with only one hand? I use my iPhone like that like 90% of the time, my girlfriend has a HTC Desire HD, and it's really uncomfortable to use because of the 4.3 " screen

This is going to be a personal preference. Frankly, I dislike using the phone with one hand, and this INCLUDES the iPhone. As such, it doesn't bother me (because I am generally a two handed user). For things like Pandora, music, etc, it is incredibly easy to launch with one hand on either device. Basically where there is no typing involved I am fine with just about anything, personally. I know, and have seen, people using a 4'+ screen Android device with one hand and they gave no indication (body language, facial expression) that it was frustrating in any way. Clearly there are people that dislike it too. To me it's a little like the removable SD card topic. Some people REALLY need (or think they need) that removable storage. Others do not. It's tough for me to say whether this or that is something that is going to matter to YOU.

Wrathwitch
Jul 2, 2012, 02:37 PM

There is no way i can comfortably use it one handed but i cant use any phone comfy one handed.

----------

I've also noticed too when you get a new phone you tend to play with it a bit more than when you've had the phone for a little while. Not sure if that's the case here. I just ordered a SSGS3 that should be here shortly and I'm coming from an iPhone 4s. I'm sure I'll being using the SSGS3 more than I currently do my iP4s since I'll be unfamiliar with it thus the battery life will drain faster.

That could be it. It seems better today, mind you I have started Juice defender and while it Does in itself use up some battery, I like how it disables wifi when the phone is in sleep in your wifi area and starts it up after sleep.

VulchR
Jul 3, 2012, 06:01 AM
How many actually voted in your polls? If I had to take a wild guess I would say it was less than 5% of everyone who visits here daily. You can view the poll however you wish, but with results like that, many polls on MR tell me "most just don't care about the topic at hand".

You are correct. All we know is that 152 people out of the 211 who responded to the poll did not agree with the status quo. That's about 75% of the people who responded. If you would like to present evidence for the popularity of the current arrangement of threads with MR readers, then please feel free to enlighten us: Perhaps a poll taken now would give different results, both in terms of the number of people responding and in terms of how people want non-iOS threads organized. The original poll is here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1153102).

Calidude
Jul 3, 2012, 08:07 AM
I really don't get haptic feedback. Why does one need to have a vibration to notice you have actually touched the device? I added it to my 4s and got rid of it after about 2 minutes of use because for me it served absolutely no purpose and seemed like a huge battery waste.
A very large number of people like it. Isn't that reason enough to include a low-impact feature that you can disable if you want?

Wrathwitch
Jul 3, 2012, 08:16 AM
A very large number of people like it. Isn't that reason enough to include a low-impact feature that you can disable if you want?

I love it! It was one of the first things that surprised me and delighted me in the store when I was testing out the Gnex!

Frankied22
Jul 3, 2012, 08:17 AM

You can disable features!!??

Wrathwitch
Jul 3, 2012, 08:31 AM
You can disable features!!??

I actually laughed at that.

Yeah Damn Samsung and some of Google's bloatware (no I have no desire of ever using google+ but at least I can disable them so they don't mysteriously pop up and start using my precious resources!

I know your post was humour but I had to wax a bit poetic!

ChrisTX
Jul 3, 2012, 08:36 AM
Fragmentation :(

The Galaxy S III is a flagship device, and currently the best Android phone available. Fragmentation isn't likely with this device.

onthecouchagain
Jul 3, 2012, 08:52 AM
The Galaxy S III is a flagship device, and currently the best Android phone available. Fragmentation isn't likely with this device.

What folks like DodgeV83 and his ilk don't understand is that Android is a completely different beast (and intentionally so). While I'm all for less carrier interference and better support from manufacturers (and they have gotten better, particularly Samsung), fragmentation is mostly overblown (not to mention already exists with iPhones too), and mostly used as obfuscation against Android. I'm not denying that it isn't a problem, but it's a problem that is so easily avoided by doing a little bit of research...

Given the nature of Android, it is indeed possible to get a bad and/or poorly supported Android device. This is where research goes a long way. It's just the nature of the beast (aka options), and DodgeV83 and his ilk can cling onto the oft talked about failings of Android from yesteryear all they want.

Meanwhile, if updates are that important to people and they do their research (hint: the Nexus lines), they'll have ICS/JB, which continue to propel Android forward at a much faster pace than iOS is moving.

nfl46
Jul 3, 2012, 09:07 AM

True.

Fragmentation isn't likely with the Google Nexus either. Nexus gets it first, everyone else follows.

Zaft
Jul 3, 2012, 09:13 AM
What folks like DodgeV83 and his ilk don't understand is that Android is a completely different beast (and intentionally so). While I'm all for less carrier interference and better support from manufacturers (and they have gotten better, particularly Samsung), fragmentation is mostly overblown (not to mention already exists with iPhones too), and mostly used as obfuscation against Android. I'm not denying that it isn't a problem, but it's a problem that is so easily avoided by doing a little bit of research...

Given the nature of Android, it is indeed possible to get a bad and/or poorly supported Android device. This is where research goes a long way. It's just the nature of the beast (aka options), and DodgeV83 and his ilk can cling onto the oft talked about failings of Android from yesteryear all they want.

Meanwhile, if updates are that important to people and they do their research (hint: the Nexus lines), they'll have ICS/JB, which continue to propel Android forward at a much faster pace than iOS is moving.

Unfortunately alot of people dont do research. The best android device is Nexus for sure. Then you know you will get timley updates.

If the damn carriers didnt take so long to updatethe phones it wouldent be such a problem.

Stuntman06
Jul 3, 2012, 12:50 PM

----------

I'm sure I'm not the only Android user who comes to this forum. I do like discussing mobile devices whether or not I own or use them.

You'll probably have to own and use the device for a few weeks before the battery life settles down. That is my experience with new smartphones.

My feelings exactly with regard to haptic feedback. What I would like is to be able to feel the key before pressing it, not just after pressing it. By the time I feel the key after, it's too late if it's the wrong key.

Wrathwitch
Jul 3, 2012, 01:03 PM

I am not so convinced about that statement, just this morning I had to send an email into gameloft regarding the game Order and Chaos that I purchased last night, by the time I decided to test it, it was too late to uninstall without being charged. The error I got was : We are having difficulty identifying your device please contact customer service at gameloft....

I also tried to dl PvZ on Google Play to have it tell me that it wasn't availabel in my country (Canada!). Yet someone told me on a forum here that I can get it from the Amazon App store and it works for them....

These are not deal breakers because my phone is not all about the gaming, but it is a nice way to spend time while waiting in line!

I have a new game that makes me giggle (both for iOS and Android)

HAMSTER CANNON!!!!

Stuntman06
Jul 3, 2012, 01:40 PM

With regard to fragmenation, here is my personal experience with it on my device, HTC Desire Z, and my feelings with regarding to my device. Note the Desire Z is not a flagship device. In fact, it is more specialised. I got it because I wanted a phone with a landscape slider keyboard and this was the best one at the time.

I got my Desire Z in November or 2010. It originally was running Android Froyo. Shortly afterwards, the Nexus S was released running Gingerbread. I didn't get Gingerbread until around August of 2011. The major differences that I noticed with this upgrade that affects me personally are as follows: better battery life, better widgets, some home screen functionality and longer home screen load time. Overall, I would say the upgrade was positive for me.

ICS was announced and released late in 2011 with the Galaxy Nexus. Earlier this year, HTC made an announcement regarding which devices will be getting ICS and the Desire Z will not be one of them.

Now, even before ICS was released, I really liked my phone. After ICS was released, I still liked my phone. After it was official that my phone will not be getting ICS, I still liked my phone. My device hasn't had a major OS upgrade in almost a year. It has worked the same now as hit has been then and does pretty much everything I want it to do to my satisfaction all that time.

So, what would I be missing from ICS. I happen to have an Android tablet running ICS as well. Here is what I can do on my tablet, but not on my phone:

The first thing is face unlock. It's cool. It's convenient. I use it on my tablet. On my phone, I use pattern unlock. I couldn't use face unlock on my phone anyway as it has no front facing camera. No big deal for me. A nice to have, but I can live without it.

The reason I jumped at getting ICS on my tablet was that I wanted to try out the Chrome browser. I actually prefer the stock browser on my tablet and prefer Opera Mini on my phone, so not big deal.

I use Google+ and I love the widget on ICS. I don't like the GB one I have available on my phone. I would actually want this on my phone. Without it, I just have to launch G+ via the app instead. The ICS widget shows G+ postings like my Twitter for HTC widget. The G+ GB widget just allows you to post directly and is not useful to me. Really nice to have for me that I cannot get on my phone.

There are probably a bunch of stuff under the hood I am not aware of. There are probably some subtle things like in various apps that I have to compare side by side to really notice. What I listed above was what I noticed between my ICS and GB device. Not really much to cry about not getting ICS on my phone.

In regards to apps, I haven't found an app that I wanted that needed ICS and cannot be run on a GB phone. There is one widget (Brightness) and one app (Flipboard) that I have on my phone that is not available on my tablet. Everything else works on both.

I would also like to add that I'm not one who always updates my apps. I keep many older versions of my apps instead of updating. If I look at the description of the update and none of the new features really interest me, I don't bother updating. If I'm happy with the existing version of my app and the way it works, I don't bother updating. I only update my apps if I feel there are some issues with the existing version and the new version has bug fixes, or if there are some new features I want. I just don't see the reason to update apps if I am getting little or no perceived benefit and I'm happy with my current version.

I see a lot of people complaining that they have to wait months or even weeks for the next version of Android. I can see if they have an outstanding issue with the device that it can be a problem if you have to wait for a fix. I guess I don't understand this OS version envy that people have. People have a Nexus device and they are unhappy the minute the next Nexus device or OS version gets released or announced. I cannot understand why you can be perfectly happy with your device one day and the moment a new OS version gets announced you feel like your device is a piece of crap. It's not like the announcement suddenly broke your device. :confused:

Now that Jelly Bean has been announce, I'm still happy with my GB phone. I don't have any plans to upgrade my phone. Then again, I'm one who likes physical keyboards. They seem to be rather rare as there only seems to be one or two high end ones that come out every year.

chewietobbacca
Jul 3, 2012, 02:04 PM

Fragmentation should decrease in the future too

Between the popularity of the GNex and the fact that the SGS3 is being launched as the same name and essentially same models across all the major cellular carriers + regional ones (a huge first for Android - and first for any phone to launch on all 4 major carriers), there's certainly some pull from Samsung and Google to get carriers on board. No more ridiculous rebranding of phones like the Galaxy S and S II anymore

Wide opeN
Jul 3, 2012, 02:33 PM

That's all they do is MAKE the screen. They are in no way responsible for the design, intellectual property or thought process of the screen.

Samsung is a great company, they just don't have very many original ideas as it stands.

See latest injunctions for meaning.

DodgeV83
Jul 3, 2012, 04:47 PM

I was responding to a post from someone complaining about their favorite games not being supported on the S3.

Furthermore, apparently EA Games and Gameloft games don't work:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii/182638-ea-games-gameloft-games-dont-play-nice-us-version.html

Dead Space and Mass Effect Infiltrator will not run on the US version of the GS3.

http://forum.gameloft.com/index.php/topic,52129.msg150641.html#msg150641

well pretty much all of them!!! i tried Order and Chaos, Modern Combat 3, Dungeon Hunter 3, Men in Black 3 and Six Guns

This includes Gameloft's notable Nova 3 (currently my favorite game). I'm sure many of these issues will be fixed, if they haven't already, but it's clear framentation is still a big issue with Android, even on the S3.

aohus
Jul 3, 2012, 05:11 PM
^ this is exactly why iPhone users tend to be young kids, or older adults that are not tech-friendly at all.

The rest are starting to opt for Android.

most folks in my demographic do not play the hardcore games that require intensive GPU.

most play casual games a la angry birds, cut the rope, etc.

that being said, most popular gaming apps from iOS exist on Android. It will only get better.

1 million+ activations per day on Android ecosystem :P

It's obvious that some games won't readily work, as there are different SoC's circulating in the Android handset world. The PDK from Google will start to address these issues.

batting1000
Jul 3, 2012, 05:20 PM
^ this is exactly why iPhone users tend to be young kids, or older adults that are not tech-friendly at all.

The rest are starting to opt for Android.

most folks in my demographic do not play the hardcore games that require intensive GPU.

that being said, most popular gaming apps from iOS exist on Android. It will only get better.

1 million+ activations per day on Android ecosystem :P

It's obvious that some games won't readily work, as there are different SoC's circulating in the Android handset world. The PDK from Google will start to address these issues.

Your first sentence is totally erroneous. How could you say that ONLY teens and non tech savvy adults use them?

You're also forgetting at 1 million activationss doesn't just include purchases from a store. It also includes people selling them online and activating them or hand me down phones that maybe a parent once used and is giving it to their kid.

aohus
Jul 3, 2012, 05:23 PM
Your first sentence is totally erroneous. How could you say that ONLY teens and non tech savvy adults use them?

It's what I'm observing. Not scientific. The iPhone is the everyday layman phone. Not saying this is particularly bad. Anyone can pick it up and learn the ins and outs pretty easily.

I just don't see the need to play GPU intensive games on a sub 5 inch screen. On a tablet like iPad I agree, and afaik, Apple owns the tablet market. Rightfully so, as they make killer tablets.

My point was that the lack of hardcore gaming support on a mobile device isn't as much of a dealbreaker than say, an operating system that is slow to iterate. (lack of navigation, coherent multitasking operations, etc).

In essence, the demand for navigation and a more robust integrated operating system dedicated to productivity is much more essential than gaming on a mobile device like smartphones.

TennisandMusic
Jul 3, 2012, 05:31 PM
For me, I'm still an Apple fan (I own iPad and Macs, if that matters), and even though I've moved from the 4S to the Galaxy Nexus, Apple and the iPhone are still on my radar. Just because people switch devices doesn't mean they're committed to that new device indefinitely. In other words, there's a chance people may switch back depending on what Apple does, and so, for me, I still enjoy discussing the iPhone.

Having said that, the ship is definitely sailing, and already I find myself visiting the forums less and less. More importantly, I find myself engaging less in the conversations between Android/iOS. Ultimately, people have their opinions about which OS is best for them, and so whatever shortcomings that OS has, they must feel it's worth dealing with. Not much can be said beyond clearing up misconceptions and obfuscations of each platform, or calling out any intellectually dishonest representations of the respective OSes. Beyond that, it's people's choices.

Man you and I are in the EXACT same boat. Since getting my Galaxy Nexus, my 4S has held no interest whatsoever...the whole system just seems so dang poor compared to even ICS. And I find myself visiting and commenting on this forum less too...

chiefpavvy
Jul 3, 2012, 05:31 PM
There's no guarantee of anything. Period. Nexus may be the Google Phone but they will drop it (remember Nexus One?)...

Android has a flawed history of fragmentation. Remember guys, the vast majority of folks have no idea what a "ROM" is, nor do they want to spend their days hunting one down and messing with it. OFFICIAL updates for Android devices are still lackluster at best (and that's putting it nicely). What's ICS up to now, 8% of devices? :D

batting1000
Jul 3, 2012, 05:35 PM
It's what I'm observing. Not scientific. The iPhone is the everyday layman phone. Not saying this is particularly bad. Anyone can pick it up and learn the ins and outs pretty easily.

I just don't see the need to play GPU intensive games on a sub 5 inch screen. On a tablet like iPad I agree, and afaik, Apple owns the tablet market. Rightfully so, as they make killer tablets.

My point was that the lack of hardcore gaming support on a mobile device isn't as much of a dealbreaker than say, an operating system that is slow to iterate. (lack of navigation, coherent multitasking operations, etc).

In essence, the demand for navigation and a more robust integrated operating system dedicated to productivity is much more essential than gaming on a mobile device like smartphones.

Yes, I agree with you there. I can't really attest to any of that because I don't really play any hardcore games.

----------

There's no guarantee of anything. Period. Nexus may be the Google Phone but they will drop it (remember Nexus One?)...

Android has a flawed history of fragmentation. Remember guys, the vast majority of folks have no idea what a "ROM" is, nor do they want to spend their days hunting one down and messing with it. OFFICIAL updates for Android devices are still lackluster at best (and that's putting it nicely). What's ICS up to now, 8% of devices? :D

10.9 percent. Just about the same percentage of 9to5mac readers that are running iOS 6 (unreleased, beta software). :rolleyes:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/03/9to5macs-ios-readership-already-nearing-10-on-ios-6-on-single-days/

aohus
Jul 3, 2012, 05:37 PM
Yes, I agree with you there. I can't really attest to any of that because I don't really play any hardcore games.

----------

10.9 percent. Just about the same percentage of 9to5mac readers that are running iOS 6 (unreleased, beta software). :rolleyes:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/03/9to5macs-ios-readership-already-nearing-10-on-ios-6-on-single-days/

and 9to5mac is a benchmarker for that?

9to5mac is an Apple enthusiast blog

Tell me how many iOS6 viewers are checking out CNN.com :P

this doesn't mean 10% of all iOS users are on iOS6 :)

Technarchy
Jul 3, 2012, 05:45 PM

Dont forget Sprint Nexus S owners waited 6 months for ICS ...and this is a "Google phone". That's like 4S owners not getting iOS6 until May 2013.

Google can't even keep their own line of phones updated so you know handset makers don't have a prayer. Oh and Google already went on record and said they were dropping support for Nexus CDMA devices. Good luck GNEX owners on Verizon and Sprint.

chiefpavvy
Jul 3, 2012, 05:59 PM
Dont forget Sprint Nexus S owners waited 6 months for ICS ...and this is a "Google phone". That's like 4S owners not getting iOS6 until May 2013.

Google can't even keep their own line of phones updated so you know handset makers don't have a prayer. Oh and Google already went on record and said they were dropping support for Nexus CDMA devices. Good luck GNEX owners on Verizon and Sprint.

Facts are facts. iOS has 80% of the installed base running the very latest software revision (5.1.1)

Android has 80%+ running at least one revision, if not two, behind.

I like your first point - imagine if Apple had announced 4S users would get iOS 6 but not until May 2013. Well that's life in the Android sphere.

Vegastouch
Jul 3, 2012, 07:13 PM
You're also forgetting at 1 million activationss doesn't just include purchases from a store. It also includes people selling them online and activating them or hand me down phones that maybe a parent once used and is giving it to their kid.

Thats different from iPhone,.. how?

Technarchy
Jul 3, 2012, 07:18 PM
Thats different from iPhone,.. how?

Apple provides units sold through information.

Total activations is a largely meaningless metric.

Exio
Jul 3, 2012, 07:18 PM
That's all they do is MAKE the screen. They are in no way responsible for the design, intellectual property or thought process of the screen.

Samsung is a great company, they just don't have very many original ideas as it stands.

See latest injunctions for meaning.

Samsung makes much more than the screen, just saying.

http://gizmodo.com/5829779/what-if-samsung-stopped-supplying-parts-for-the-iphone-4

Vegastouch
Jul 3, 2012, 07:28 PM

Its around 11% which is what was announced this morning. And it is starting to climb as they are getting them out more rapidly now.

chiefpavvy
Jul 3, 2012, 07:32 PM
Its around 11% which is what was announced this morning. And it is starting to climb as they are getting them out more rapidly now.

10.9% it was 7.9% last I saw, some time back. So 3% is "starting to climb" after 8 months in the channel? Some rose colored glasses you got there.

Vegastouch
Jul 3, 2012, 07:39 PM
10.9% it was 7.9% last I saw, some time back. So 3% is "starting to climb" after 8 months in the channel? Some rose colored glasses you got there.

What can i tell you. This morning they said 11%. They arent bragging about it either. They still say it isnt available for too many people but it is climbing faster than it was.

I dont know where your getting this 8 months thing. In anycase, i dont care if you believe me or not. Im telling you what i read this morning.

You, im sure arent looking because afterall, Android sucks as far as you are concerned so why would be be checking? :D

chiefpavvy
Jul 3, 2012, 07:42 PM
What can i tell you. This morning they said 11%. They arent bragging about it either. They still say it isnt available for too many people but it is climbing faster than it was.

I dont know where your getting this 8 months thing. In anycase, i dont care if you believe me or not. Im telling you what i read this morning.

You, im sure arent looking because afterall, Android sucks as far as you are concerned so why would be be checking? :D

I took the figures from this article:

8 Months In, Just 10.9% Of Android Users Running ICS (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/03/8_months_in_11_of_android_users_run_40_ice_cream_sandwich.html)

Wiki cites Android ICS release October 2011, so yeah, 8 months already...

onthecouchagain
Jul 3, 2012, 07:52 PM
I'm pretty sure the majority of people don't even know what "Ice Cream Sandwich" is or what "Jelly Bean" is, and go about perfectly fine and happy with whatever OS version their phones are on.

Having said that, I'm all for less carrier interference and better support from companies, so fragmentation is a problem, but it's one that is overblown. The whole idea of Android is to be on as many platforms as possible (it's working too). Fragmentation is inevitable when an OS is meant for as many tiered devices as possible with varying degrees of support.

So yes, it's very possible to pick a really terrible and/or poorly supported Android device. This is where research goes a long way because it's also possible to pick a great Android device. If updates are that important to you, the Nexus line is the way to go, despite some growing pains and missteps (I criticized Google for allowing the Verizon Galaxy Nexus debacle to happen; that was a real foul up). The Nexus line are the best guarantee of updates, and now that the Google Play store has come to its own, I foresee the Nexus launches to be better.

It's really not that difficult to understand Android. It's just the nature of the beast, and intentionally so. Those who don't understand Android's model, or dislike it because it's different from Apple's will continue to obfuscate what it's about and use "fragmentation" as a talking point against Android when it has so little to do with the actual experience of the OS itself.

Meanwhile, ICS/JB continue to propel Android ahead at a far greater pace than iOS is moving.

chewietobbacca
Jul 4, 2012, 12:53 AM

8 Months In, Just 10.9% Of Android Users Running ICS (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/03/8_months_in_11_of_android_users_run_40_ice_cream_sandwich.html)

How many phones run ICS vs. how many Android phones and generations of them were released prior - esp. when you consider how many lower tier phones are still running old Android releases?

I'd say that given how big the Android universe is, it's pretty impressive that they even got to 11% in 8 months given how few phones come stock with ICS (almost exclusively in the high end tier).

mbell1975
Jul 4, 2012, 01:18 AM

who cares? Gingerbread still crushes iOS 5 and can do a ton more. Not to mention there are $99 Android phone out there with better hardware than a 4s as they have bigger screens, better batteries and 4G radios.

gladoscc
Jul 4, 2012, 03:03 AM
SIII literally blows the 4S out of the water. With Jelly bean, it should be incredible.

Technarchy
Jul 4, 2012, 03:05 AM
SIII literally blows the 4S out of the water. With Jelly bean, it should be incredible.

Let us know when you find out in about 10 months...

ChazUK
Jul 4, 2012, 03:11 AM

Once the source code drops, I guarantee I'll have it on my S3 without waiting 10 months.

TinyBFK
Jul 4, 2012, 03:12 AM
Thanks for a great little review.

I came to the iPhone 4S from a long line of android phones (literally a long line since I'm the only one that uses the upgrades on all five of our lines lol) the last of which was a GNEX. Since getting the iPhone I don't waste as much time tinkering with my phone (flashing ROM's and different mods constantly). Apparently my wife thinks that's a good thing. I do miss the larger screens and the customizations and the hordes of different ROM's that were mine for the taking. But I do not miss the complete lack of official updates every time a new version of android was released and the never ending river of something better every few months. Since I got the iPhone I have saved up 3 upgrades that would have been used already if I was still using android. Of course that's my fault for always wanting the "next best thing".
I will say the SGS3 has my interests peaked though. This review makes me want it a little more even though I'm still disappointed they used a pentile display.

jayenh
Jul 4, 2012, 06:02 AM
i'd be interested in knowing how data usage is. I gave the S2 a try last year when it was released, in 2 days it ate my 500MB allowance and i switched straight back to the iphone 4 (had other issues with it like the low PPI screen on that phone). I have my iphone set to push for 2 accounts, use a few apps, browse the net a bit... i rarely hit 200mb data total in a month with it (only place i use wifi is at home, work or out and about is all 3g/edge data).

as far as i can tell i had nothing different set up on the S2, something just chewed through my data like a mad man. I'm assuming this isn't normal. tried going off my GF's data (she has the incredible s) but she doesn't use her phone as much and has a habit of leaving data turned off and only switching it on when she needs it which is no good for me.

now that my 4 is out of warranty and struggling with some faulty hardware buttons (home button and sleep/wake are both very intermittent, tried restores, compressed air to clean out dust etc etc) i'm tempted to give android another go, specifically the galaxy nexus, but worried about data usage and how much management it needs.

AFDoc
Jul 4, 2012, 06:47 AM
Sure, I personally have no issue with the ability to have it on iPhone, I simply don't see the point. To each his own I say. I trust the apple engineers to give me the best balance of features/battery life and if I feel the need to have a particular feature they don't see fit to include I'll find it in the jailbreak market. I know your comeback will be you shouldn't need to jailbreak to add features. If that's the case there would be no need to root any of my android devices which I of course have done. No phone is the perfect device for all people hence the ability to jailbreak/root.

Wrathwitch
Jul 4, 2012, 07:27 AM
I would also like to add that I'm not one who always updates my apps. I keep many older versions of my apps instead of updating. If I look at the description of the update and none of the new features really interest me, I don't bother updating. If I'm happy with the existing version of my app and the way it works, I don't bother updating. I only update my apps if I feel there are some issues with the existing version and the new version has bug fixes, or if there are some new features I want. I just don't see the reason to update apps if I am getting little or no perceived benefit and I'm happy with my current version.

I see a lot of people complaining that they have to wait months or even weeks for the next version of Android. I can see if they have an outstanding issue with the device that it can be a problem if you have to wait for a fix. I guess I don't understand this OS version envy that people have. People have a Nexus device and they are unhappy the minute the next Nexus device or OS version gets released or announced. I cannot understand why you can be perfectly happy with your device one day and the moment a new OS version gets announced you feel like your device is a piece of crap. It's not like the announcement suddenly broke your device. :confused:

You spout some good wisdom here and I think I will follow in your footsteps.

I was responding to a post from someone complaining about their favorite games not being supported on the S3.

Furthermore, apparently EA Games and Gameloft games don't work:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii/182638-ea-games-gameloft-games-dont-play-nice-us-version.html

http://forum.gameloft.com/index.php/topic,52129.msg150641.html#msg150641

This includes Gameloft's notable Nova 3 (currently my favorite game). I'm sure many of these issues will be fixed, if they haven't already, but it's clear framentation is still a big issue with Android, even on the S3.

You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. I am quite disappointed that Order and Chaos doesn't acknowledge my top of the line device. I am also hopeful that they will correct that, but the bottom line is that it is a FACT.

I had to smile at this!

Thanks for a great little review.

This review makes me want it a little more even though I'm still disappointed they used a pentile display.

TYVM. As far as the pentile display goes I can tell you from my two years of using the retina screen on the iPhone and now my new retina iPad, I CANNOT tell any huge difference. The colours do not look over saturated and I cannot see any pixelation.

Just sayin..

i'd be interested in knowing how data usage is. I gave the S2 a try last year when it was released, in 2 days it ate my 500MB allowance and i switched straight back to the iphone 4 (had other issues with it like the low PPI screen on that phone). I have my iphone set to push for 2 accounts, use a few apps, browse the net a bit... i rarely hit 200mb data total in a month with it (only place i use wifi is at home, work or out and about is all 3g/edge data).

now that my 4 is out of warranty and struggling with some faulty hardware buttons (home button and sleep/wake are both very intermittent, tried restores, compressed air to clean out dust etc etc) i'm tempted to give android another go, specifically the galaxy nexus, but worried about data usage and how much management it needs.

Hmm that is a great question, not sure I can answer it fully for you since the device switches itself to Wifi when I am at home. Using Juice Defender Pro, I have configured these settings that when the device sleeps, so does WiFi.

However, I cannot answer that fully. I know it has a Data useage warning baked in and you can disable it when it reaches that warning. Since the phone is new, I haven't been paying much attention (that and I have 5GB limit). If you send me a PM, perhaps I can keep a better eye on it and let you know after a months time or so.

kevinof
Jul 4, 2012, 07:37 AM
You must have been watching movies or something. There is no way the phone would use that with normal usage. I have 3 google accounts, facebook, twitter, google+, flipboard, skype and I rarely go over 400mb in a month.

i'd be interested in knowing how data usage is. I gave the S2 a try last year when it was released, in 2 days it ate my 500MB allowance and i switched straight back to the iphone 4 (had other issues with it like the low PPI screen on that phone). I have my iphone set to push for 2 accounts, use a few apps, browse the net a bit... i rarely hit 200mb data total in a month with it (only place i use wifi is at home, work or out and about is all 3g/edge data)..

jayenh
Jul 4, 2012, 08:43 AM
You must have been watching movies or something. There is no way the phone would use that with normal usage. I have 3 google accounts, facebook, twitter, google+, flipboard, skype and I rarely go over 400mb in a month.

that's the thing, i wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary as far as usage goes. just picking up some emails, sending a few texts which shouldn't use data anyway, and checking a few apps (like pulse). something must have got stuck/crashed/god knows what. all i know is 2 days in to my new contract with that phone and i got text from my carrier warning me that i was close to using up my allowance which put me off. rather than trying to fix the problem i just threw my sim back in the iphone and kept a close eye on data usage for the rest of the month. i did sign in to that samsung all in one messenger thing with an account, maybe that was the culprit? other than that i cant think of a cause, i hardly even got to use or get used to it or even get apps etc that i wanted in those 2 days. tempted to give android another shot now though, i must admit that google now looks amazing, it's exactly the sort of thing our phones should be doing.

kevinof
Jul 4, 2012, 08:58 AM
None of the apps you mentioned would consume that kind of data. You're talking orders of magnitude lower. Got to have been something else going on.

My son has a 500mb limit on his sg2 (!) and has come close to using it up in the 30 day cycle but that's with lots of youtube. The regular news apps, message apps etc don't consume much data at all.

I have a 2GB data package on my SG3 (previously had the SG2 and the iphone 3) and they are all basically the same in terms of data usage.

that's the thing, i wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary as far as usage goes. just picking up some emails, sending a few texts which shouldn't use data anyway, and checking a few apps (like pulse). something must have got stuck/crashed/god knows what. all i know is 2 days in to my new contract with that phone and i got text from my carrier warning me that i was close to using up my allowance which put me off. rather than trying to fix the problem i just threw my sim back in the iphone and kept a close eye on data usage for the rest of the month. i did sign in to that samsung all in one messenger thing with an account, maybe that was the culprit? other than that i cant think of a cause, i hardly even got to use or get used to it or even get apps etc that i wanted in those 2 days. tempted to give android another shot now though, i must admit that google now looks amazing, it's exactly the sort of thing our phones should be doing.

jayenh
Jul 4, 2012, 09:10 AM
None of the apps you mentioned would consume that kind of data. You're talking orders of magnitude lower. Got to have been something else going on.

exactly what i thought, but that scare put me off at the time. i didn't want to wait out another month to try the phone again so i just sold it and stuck with the iphone. i think i'll try another android phone, it was obviously some sort of freak occurrence, i just know i'll be a bit wary of data usage and probably find myself checking it religiously.

Wrathwitch
Jul 4, 2012, 10:31 AM
exactly what i thought, but that scare put me off at the time. i didn't want to wait out another month to try the phone again so i just sold it and stuck with the iphone. i think i'll try another android phone, it was obviously some sort of freak occurrence, i just know i'll be a bit wary of data usage and probably find myself checking it religiously.

For what my 2cents are worth. When you get your new phone IF it's Android. Instead of going whole hog with apps. Customize it a bit you like. Then watch the data useage. One of the mistakes you made was not trying to solve the problem.

Example, my battery issue (what I percieved as one compared to the iPhone4) I could have just said wow what a pos phone and switched back to my iPhone4, but I did some trouble shooting and I think I have it all fixed up. It was a great learning process for getting to know the phone.

There are likely apps that you can download that keep an eye on your usage/data and gives you a summary. Go for one of those! Just for peace of mind.

Stuntman06
Jul 4, 2012, 12:01 PM

I find that when playing games on a phone, I need a game where I can pause when interrupted by a phone call. Some network games just doesn't fit this criteria as any extended inactivity (because you are on the phone) will kick you out.

mbell1975
Jul 4, 2012, 12:17 PM

We will have JB on the S3 long before you have iOS 6 on your iPhone :)

Zaft
Jul 4, 2012, 12:22 PM
We will have JB on the S3 long before you have iOS 6 on your iPhone :)

Want a cookie?

mbell1975
Jul 4, 2012, 12:26 PM
Want a cookie?

Sure, chocolate chip please.

jayenh
Jul 4, 2012, 02:34 PM
For what my 2cents are worth. When you get your new phone IF it's Android. Instead of going whole hog with apps. Customize it a bit you like. Then watch the data useage. One of the mistakes you made was not trying to solve the problem.

Example, my battery issue (what I percieved as one compared to the iPhone4) I could have just said wow what a pos phone and switched back to my iPhone4, but I did some trouble shooting and I think I have it all fixed up. It was a great learning process for getting to know the phone.

There are likely apps that you can download that keep an eye on your usage/data and gives you a summary. Go for one of those! Just for peace of mind.

yep, i've ordered a galaxy nexus, round 2 with android. will definitely be doing this, add apps slowly and look for an app or widget that will display my usage so i can see if it is going up faster than it should. the problem i had the first time was that by time i realised the issue i was having i couldnt really spend time trying to fix it, and franky, i wouldnt have trusted it even if i thought it was fixed. i knew the iphone wouldn't eat my remaining limit in 3 hours so i switched to it and never went back. if i had discovered what it was doing sooner i would have troubleshooted it and maybe stayed with that phone. hopefully this time things go as smoothly as they should.

matttye
Jul 4, 2012, 02:57 PM

It's partly to do with chipset makers, not all Google's fault. Apparently Qualcomm doesn't release the source for the drivers in some of the handsets using their chipsets, so manufacturers literally cannot update.

I know it doesn't really matter to the end user whose fault it is, just pointing this out :p

----------

There's already a Galaxy S3 port. A couple of things aren't working, but after the early ports it's usually a month or two until they become stable enough to be daily runners.

You obviously didn't use XDA much when you had your Android phones :p

Vegastouch
Jul 4, 2012, 03:36 PM
It's partly to do with chipset makers, not all Google's fault. Apparently Qualcomm doesn't release the source for the drivers in some of the handsets using their chipsets, so manufacturers literally cannot update.

I know it doesn't really matter to the end user whose fault it is, just pointing this out :p

----------

There's already a Galaxy S3 port. A couple of things aren't working, but after the early ports it's usually a month or two until they become stable enough to be daily runners.

You obviously didn't use XDA much when you had your Android phones :p

How could he, he didnt keep them long enough.

Dunbar
Jul 4, 2012, 03:45 PM
i think i'll try another android phone, it was obviously some sort of freak occurrence, i just know i'll be a bit wary of data usage and probably find myself checking it religiously.

FWIW, I burned through 2GB of mobile data in about 10 days on my LTE iPad even though it never left my house. I stream a lot of Sirius XM radio on it (like 8-10 hours a day) and it was using mobile data some of the time even though I was connected to wifi. So you should just toggle off mobile data when you're at home to prevent that situation or install Tasker to set up a "geo-fence" and have it happen automatically. I tested it out on my iPhone and the same thing was happening, the 3G connection slows the data accumulation considerably compared to LTE.

nizmoz
Jul 4, 2012, 06:19 PM
This is my 3rd day of usage on the phone, and it was doing well. Much better than ANY iphone I have owned. So far the best phone I have owned period is the SG3.

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-7GJFTDG/0/L/i-7GJFTDG-L.png

mbell1975
Jul 4, 2012, 06:39 PM
This is my 3rd day of usage on the phone, and it was doing well. Much better than ANY iphone I have owned. So far the best phone I have owned period is the SG3.

Image (http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-7GJFTDG/0/L/i-7GJFTDG-L.png)

That's great but your hardly using it :)

Eddie Bombay
Jul 4, 2012, 07:09 PM
Nice review, if you want to double your battery life on the S3 what I did was install Juice Defender from the Play Store and set it to aggressive.

ReallyBigFeet
Jul 4, 2012, 07:25 PM
As for me and my life. I've seen more, lived through more and experienced more than you could fathom. I'll leave it at that, because now you are getting into a subject that no civilian could ever understand.

Oh my......

http://nextlol.com/images/29689-internet-tough-guys.jpg

nefan65
Jul 4, 2012, 07:39 PM
Oh my......

Image (http://nextlol.com/images/29689-internet-tough-guys.jpg)

Ha....I Lol'd at that actually.

nizmoz
Jul 4, 2012, 08:25 PM
That's great but your hardly using it :)

I was using it. Lots of work emails, about 30-40, 3-5 phone calls of around 10 minutes, about 20-30 texts, and my gmail account also getting emails and me checking. Not much browsing but some. I used it the same as I did my iphone on a daily basis and it kicked it's butt.

Azadre
Jul 4, 2012, 08:44 PM
I was using it. Lots of work emails, about 30-40, 3-5 phone calls of around 10 minutes, about 20-30 texts, and my gmail account also getting emails and me checking. Not much browsing but some. I used it the same as I did my iphone on a daily basis and it kicked it's butt.

You what 30-40 emails? Received? Or wrote?

Bobby Corwen
Jul 4, 2012, 09:16 PM

Lol look at the little icons at the top.

They are so ugly.

404 tech junkie
Jul 4, 2012, 09:18 PM

I have to agree with what was said. What you are showing is VERY light use. Hardly any phone calls or screen time is shown on that chart. Granted, you may have been using it like you normally would (which is what really matters in the end), but the reality of it is, that is pretty light use. While I do think the Galaxy S3 gets decent battery life, I don't think your screenshot really shows it. The screenshot more so shows how long it can last if you're not using it much.

----------

Lol look at the little icons at the top.

They are so ugly.

Fortunately for him, if he so chooses, he can change them quite easily.

SaleenS351
Jul 4, 2012, 10:31 PM
My SG3 gets here Friday and I'm very excited to check it out. I just hope jelly bean comes sooner than later.

Wrathwitch
Jul 5, 2012, 06:32 AM

Hey thanks for the pic! It does reflect my useage. Roughly. Yesterday I had 8hrs useage and the battery was down to about 67%. Useage being making about 3 half hour phone calls, about 10-15 texts, messing with my settings for fun, checking about 20 emails. Not sure if I used it much more, checked some apps, nothing too heavy. This weekend I will better be able to tell how long it can go without charging it at night which is my habit even from using my iPhone, although sometimes my useage is so light with my iP4 I didn't have to charge it every day.

Nice review, if you want to double your battery life on the S3 what I did was install Juice Defender from the Play Store and set it to aggressive.

I have JD ultimate, this weekend I am going to compare how much energy I can save NOT using it, just as an experiment.

Oh my......

I LoL'd at this too, it's sooo true!!

nizmoz
Jul 5, 2012, 07:21 AM
You what 30-40 emails? Received? Or wrote?

Combined. I work in IT and get all the IT emails to my phone and have to respond to them.

----------

The point is, it lasts longer than the iphone does with the same use.

I have to agree with what was said. What you are showing is VERY light use. Hardly any phone calls or screen time is shown on that chart. Granted, you may have been using it like you normally would (which is what really matters in the end), but the reality of it is, that is pretty light use. While I do think the Galaxy S3 gets decent battery life, I don't think your screenshot really shows it. The screenshot more so shows how long it can last if you're not using it much.

----------

Fortunately for him, if he so chooses, he can change them quite easily.

AFDoc
Jul 5, 2012, 09:25 AM
Oh my......

That picture is awesome.
@ 0m3ga It's also been my experience that those that do know things civilians might not understand don't chest thump and mention such things to civilians. Not doubting your statement, simply telling you to at ease.

thewaffle
Jul 5, 2012, 10:44 AM
does anyone have a problem with lagging on the SG3? My friend just got his and says his lags noticeably on the home screen. He's not the first person I've heard it from as I told him (he's new to Android from Blackberry devices) that it may be his launcher but I've heard the same issue from several people. May be fixed soon though.

Technarchy
Jul 5, 2012, 10:52 AM

Try actually using your phone...

kevinof
Jul 5, 2012, 10:52 AM
That's the touchwiz launcher (at least that's where I've seen the problem). I changed to Apex launcher and the problem went away. I buddy of mine in Samsung says there will be an update soon that fixes the problem.

does anyone have a problem with lagging on the SG3? My friend just got his and says his lags noticeably on the home screen. He's not the first person I've heard it from as I told him (he's new to Android from Blackberry devices) that it may be his launcher but I've heard the same issue from several people. May be fixed soon though.

mbell1975
Jul 5, 2012, 10:54 AM

When cell standby and Android system are taking up most of your power, you are hardly using it. Now if Android OS, voice calls and Internet were the top usage numbers, that would be impressive.

Technarchy
Jul 5, 2012, 11:02 AM
That picture is awesome.
@ 0m3ga It's also been my experience that those that do know things civilians might not understand don't chest thump and mention such things to civilians. Not doubting your statement, simply telling you to at ease.

Have you not met many Fobbits and POG's? Toughest guys in the universe...on the Internet at least.

Fireblade
Jul 5, 2012, 11:13 AM
When cell standby and Android system are taking up most of your power, you are hardly using it. Now if Android OS, voice calls and Internet were the top usage numbers, that would be impressive.

Would bei interessting, what firmware he is on.
Cell standby is a known bug, it displays the real drain it causes x10.
In Europe we got an update to XXALF5 and XXALF6, where this bug is gone.

404 tech junkie
Jul 5, 2012, 12:24 PM

Nope.

Technarchy
Jul 5, 2012, 12:34 PM
Nope.

Seems that some are experiencing lag on the home screen:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/573323-home-screen-lag.html

Mac.World
Jul 5, 2012, 12:39 PM

Wasn't this caused by the S Voice feature or the double tap on the home button? I remember seeing the fix for this, but don't recall what it was.

Is there any way to download a tweak like activator, so you can change what thehome button does? Anyone know?

mbell1975
Jul 5, 2012, 12:40 PM
Thats the great thing about Android, you don't have to depend on Samsung to fix a possible problem like you do with Apple. Install a custom launcher, problem solved.

Technarchy
Jul 5, 2012, 12:52 PM
Thats the great thing about Android, you don't have to depend on Samsung to fix a possible problem like you do with Apple. Install a custom launcher, problem solved.

You can keep that "feature" in the android turdverse where it belongs.

Vegastouch
Jul 5, 2012, 12:58 PM

I havent experienced that. Everything loads up right away.

Although i do think touchwiz is nicer on this phone, i still use Nova or Apex launchers. I think i like Nova a little better and i havent had those problems mentioned with them. Havent had that problem with touchwiz either for that matter.

404 tech junkie
Jul 5, 2012, 01:19 PM

That's an easy game to play.... seems that some are experiencing lag on the 4S http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-help-15/iphone-4s-lagging-during-phone-calls-34493/
The point is, there are only a few people in that thread making that complaint, and there are just as many in there saying they don't have that issue.

matttye
Jul 5, 2012, 01:27 PM

This is probably because the phone has 1GB RAM, and TouchWiz uses about 700MB of it!

It occasionally redraws the home screen for me but not very often.

Wasn't this caused by the S Voice feature or the double tap on the home button? I remember seeing the fix for this, but don't recall what it was.

Is there any way to download a tweak like activator, so you can change what thehome button does? Anyone know?

Nah, double tap home for S voice is what causes a delay between pressing the home button and it actually transitioning back to the home screen. This is because it waits to see if you press the button again.

mbell1975
Jul 5, 2012, 01:34 PM
This is probably because the phone has 1GB RAM, and TouchWiz uses about 700MB of it!

It occasionally redraws the home screen for me but not very often.

Some of the 2GB versions are doing it too. I am not a fan of TW to begin with. So if I do get an S3, first thing I am going is installing Go launcher.

thewaffle
Jul 5, 2012, 01:57 PM
That's an easy game to play.... seems that some are experiencing lag on the 4S http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-help-15/iphone-4s-lagging-during-phone-calls-34493/
The point is, there are only a few people in that thread making that complaint, and there are just as many in there saying they don't have that issue.

that's the thing some people don't think about. If you sell 5 million phones then you're bound to have 20 people with issues. If you have 2 million with issues then it's a serious problem

TheBigKing
Jul 5, 2012, 02:12 PM
U thunk that battery it's bad ???http://img.tapatalk.com/6be412e5-e745-1a91.jpg

404 tech junkie
Jul 5, 2012, 02:20 PM
that's the thing some people don't think about. If you sell 5 million phones then you're bound to have 20 people with issues. If you have 2 million with issues then it's a serious problem

That's a pretty poor response. Perhaps re-read what I wrote, and respond accordingly.

Bobby Corwen
Jul 5, 2012, 02:35 PM
U thunk that battery it's bad ???Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/6be412e5-e745-1a91.jpg)

Lol those menu designs are so generic

batting1000
Jul 5, 2012, 02:43 PM
U thunk that battery it's bad ???Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/6be412e5-e745-1a91.jpg)

Looks like you got Juice Defender helping you out there, lol.

Fireblade
Jul 5, 2012, 02:49 PM

I do have a better one

http://img.tapatalk.com/57f7c51f-effb-e1b7.jpg

batting1000
Jul 5, 2012, 02:51 PM
I do have a better one

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/57f7c51f-effb-e1b7.jpg)

You're running a custom rom of course you'll get better battery.

cwwilson
Jul 5, 2012, 03:08 PM
Just bought the S3 off Amazon. Very excited for this powerhouse phone, should put my Lumia to shame. The S3 has peaked my interest since it was just a figment of a rumor and in a couple days it'll be in my hands. I was going to get either a 4S or GNex but since Google pulled the HSPA version it narrowed it down between the 4S and S3 and it wasn't even close from there. $549 shipped and it'll be worth every penny.

Fireblade
Jul 5, 2012, 03:15 PM

It's a slightly modded Stockrom with standard kernel, yes per definition its a custom rom.

And I love to be able to do this.

Btw., ThebigKing is also using a custom rom.

mbell1975
Jul 5, 2012, 03:43 PM

Something you will never have the choice to do on an iPhone :)

Fireblade
Jul 5, 2012, 03:49 PM

Who knows, maybe some day Apple will allow him to do what he wants with his phone...:eek:

blackhand1001
Jul 5, 2012, 04:01 PM

No hes not, hes on touchwiz. Thats the touchwiz menu.

thewaffle
Jul 5, 2012, 04:02 PM
That's a pretty poor response. Perhaps re-read what I wrote, and respond accordingly.

You might have misunderstood what I said. I was stating that most people will point out problem with a phone/os then linking it to a forum and what I was saying is you don't get a true measure of issues by pointing out the problems of 20 people when there are 5 million or more people with the phone. It's like saying there's problems in the city after 3 people have been murdered - which is bad if there's only 50 people living in the city but not bad if there's 5 million in the city. So technically my statement was backing up yours.

ChazUK
Jul 5, 2012, 04:06 PM
No hes not, hes on touchwiz. Thats the touchwiz menu.

Circle battery mod suggests at least a rooted ROM. He could be running a custom kernel for all we know, hardly "stock". :p

blackhand1001
Jul 5, 2012, 04:11 PM
Circle battery mod suggests at least a rooted ROM. He could be running a custom kernel for all we know, hardly "stock". :p

You can do the battery mod on the stock rom. The phone also just came out, custom kernels aren't very far into development yet where they are giving massive battery improvements.

Fireblade
Jul 5, 2012, 04:16 PM
Guys, as I wrote a few posts above, it's a slightly modded Stockrom with standard kernel, Wanam Lite V1.4 to be exact ;).

ElNino9
Jul 5, 2012, 04:33 PM
I was an owner for 4 years, and whilst not unhappy, was starting too get a little too familiar with iOS. So, my contract was up for renewal and I took the plunge and went for the Galaxy S3. Initially it was all very new to me, but I loved the size of the screen and some of the use of the widgets. The battery was also much superior to my iPhone 4 (although it was admittedly 2 years old).

However, after a week of use some thing started to grate on me. Firstly, I couldn't get to grips with the stock keyboard, or any from the Play Store for that matter. Despite the size of the screen, my texting was everywhere. The screen, despite the size, isn't quite as sharp as the iPhone and that became more obvious as the week went on. I also found that some of the essential apps I use weren't quite as polished as their iOS counterparts. As the week went on, I found myself missing the iPhone more and more, before I finally succumbed and swapped the S3 for a 4S.

Now I've been back, I do find myself missing certain aspect from the S3 and Android in general. I honestly think that you can't go wrong with either phone and ultimately, it'll boil down to personal preference. The S3 is a cracking phone, in fact, the thing is a weapon. It's stunning piece of kit, but I think I've invested too muck time and money into the Apple eco system to break free at this point. If the iPhone 5 doesn't tickle my fancy, I could well come back to this in the future

mbell1975
Jul 5, 2012, 04:45 PM
I was an owner for 4 years, and whilst not unhappy, was starting too get a little too familiar with iOS. So, my contract was up for renewal and I took the plunge and went for the Galaxy S3. Initially it was all very new to me, but I loved the size of the screen and some of the use of the widgets. The battery was also much superior to my iPhone 4 (although it was admittedly 2 years old).

However, after a week of use some thing started to grate on me. Firstly, I couldn't get to grips with the stock keyboard, or any from the Play Store for that matter. Despite the size of the screen, my texting was everywhere. The screen, despite the size, isn't quite as sharp as the iPhone and that became more obvious as the week went on. I also found that some of the essential apps I use weren't quite as polished as their iOS counterparts. As the week went on, I found myself missing the iPhone more and more, before I finally succumbed and swapped the S3 for a 4S.

Now I've been back, I do find myself missing certain aspect from the S3 and Android in general. I honestly think that you can't go wrong with either phone and ultimately, it'll boil down to personal preference. The S3 is a cracking phone, in fact, the thing is a weapon. It's stunning piece of kit, but I think I've invested too muck time and money into the Apple eco system to break free at this point. If the iPhone 5 doesn't tickle my fancy, I could well come back to this in the future

Good post. You tried Android out, it didnt work and you went back to what you like. I think fans of either iOS or Android are fine withe people choosing which works best for them. Its the closed-minded fanboys who have never even touched the other platform proclaiming one is superior to the other that turns people off.

Vegastouch
Jul 5, 2012, 05:37 PM

That isnt true. You CAN tinker with it to make it better by changing modems but sometimes you get worse battery life with custom ROM's.

batting1000
Jul 5, 2012, 06:21 PM

Because its unnecessary...

mbell1975
Jul 5, 2012, 06:27 PM

Says who? What's wrong with wanting to install a custom launcher that has a pack of different icons and themes to make your phone personalized? Oh right, you're the one who thinks being able to swap in a new battery is unnecessary too right? Apple loves people like you :rolleyes:

Vegastouch
Jul 5, 2012, 06:43 PM

LOL....if you could you wouldnt say that. Those who only stick to Apple have no idea what your missing being able to do this.

Zaft
Jul 5, 2012, 06:51 PM
LOL....if you could you wouldnt say that. Those who only stick to Apple have no idea what your missing being able to do this.

I used to have android, I changed launchers but found most of them to be unstable. Launcher Pro was ok

Vegastouch
Jul 5, 2012, 08:17 PM
I used to have android, I changed launchers but found most of them to be unstable. Launcher Pro was ok

Im not talking about just changing Launchers, which btw, sinc you have used one, there are some even better ones. Apex, Nova, Go....to name a few.

Changing launchers has nothing to do with running a custom ROM.

Zaft
Jul 5, 2012, 08:23 PM
Im not talking about just changing Launchers, which btw, sinc you have used one, there are some even better ones. Apex, Nova, Go....to name a few.

Changing launchers has nothing to do with running a custom ROM.

Oh I know that also. That's how I bricked my droid x (my fault)

nizmoz
Jul 5, 2012, 08:51 PM

LOL I guess some didn't read that this phone has a bug with the cell standby. It is not reading properly. They put 3.5ma instead of .35ma for it's reading. It;s a known issue and YES the phone was used.

batting1000
Jul 5, 2012, 09:04 PM
Says who? What's wrong with wanting to install a custom launcher that has a pack of different icons and themes to make your phone personalized? Oh right, you're the one who thinks being able to swap in a new battery is unnecessary too right? Apple loves people like you :rolleyes:

The only ROM I would use is one that gives it stock ICS/JB. Otherwise, the others are all very ugly. Not everyone likes what you like y'know.

404 tech junkie
Jul 5, 2012, 09:28 PM
You might have misunderstood what I said. I was stating that most people will point out problem with a phone/os then linking it to a forum and what I was saying is you don't get a true measure of issues by pointing out the problems of 20 people when there are 5 million or more people with the phone. It's like saying there's problems in the city after 3 people have been murdered - which is bad if there's only 50 people living in the city but not bad if there's 5 million in the city. So technically my statement was backing up yours.

I see what you're saying. I originally took your statement as saying something. That's the one thing about the internet, context doesn't convey well. :)

mbell1975
Jul 5, 2012, 09:44 PM
The only ROM I would use is one that gives it stock ICS/JB. Otherwise, the others are all very ugly. Not everyone likes what you like y'know.

Please tell me which Android phones you have where you have installed all of the custom launchers with all of the hundreds of icon packs, fonts and themes to determine they are ugly. I'll be waiting...

batting1000
Jul 5, 2012, 10:40 PM
Please tell me which Android phones you have where you have installed all of the custom launchers with all of the hundreds of icon packs, fonts and themes to determine they are ugly. I'll be waiting...

I just didn't like theming my device. Sorry if that isn't good enough for you.

chiefpavvy
Jul 6, 2012, 09:36 AM

Sorry, some of us value our time. I have zero desire to mess around with launchers and themes. Just another example of Android fail in my book. I mean, seriously. Could you imagine if an iPhone shipped with a blank screen and the first thing you had to do was "Choose a Launcher" and then spend hours cycling through different ones? Some folks have too much time on their hands.

kicko
Jul 6, 2012, 09:42 AM
Sorry, some of us value our time. I have zero desire to mess around with launchers and themes. Just another example of Android fail in my book. I mean, seriously. Could you imagine if an iPhone shipped with a blank screen and the first thing you had to do was "Choose a Launcher" and then spend hours cycling through different ones? Some folks have too much time on their hands.

I'd say your in the minority, i think most user love to customize their devices and personalize them even more.

Have you never put apps in folders and organizied you apps on home screens?? its not much different.

rendevouspoo
Jul 6, 2012, 10:00 AM

As opposed to what? Getting a phone shipped to you that you can do absolutely no customization? Take off the glasses, my friend.

nuckinfutz
Jul 6, 2012, 10:06 AM
As opposed to what? Getting a phone shipped to you that you can do absolutely no customization? Take off the glasses, my friend.

No ...I think we'd prefer to keep the glasses on if that means more productivity. The more time you spend fiddling with the UI the less time you have to actually get work done.

reefoid
Jul 6, 2012, 10:50 AM
No ...I think we'd prefer to keep the glasses on if that means more productivity. The more time you spend fiddling with the UI the less time you have to actually get work done.

What?

How does being able to customise reduce your productivity? if I'm working, I'm working and won't be customising my phone. If I'm chilling at home for the evening, I might want to change icons/wallpapers/launchers. Customising your phone does not equal less productivity.

Keep your glasses on, I can see clearly without mine.

nuckinfutz
Jul 6, 2012, 10:55 AM
What?

How does being able to customise reduce your productivity? if I'm working, I'm working and won't be customising my phone. If I'm chilling at home for the evening, I might want to change icons/wallpapers/launchers. Customising your phone does not equal less productivity.

Keep your glasses on, I can see clearly without mine.

It's not about the "ability" to customize. iOS allows for customization through the stock OS or JB. It's the need to do it endlessly that likely afflicts many Android owners.

404 tech junkie
Jul 6, 2012, 12:45 PM

Spend hours? You obviously have no experience with Android at all. Your statement CLEARLY shows that. It doesn't take nearly that amount of time to set your phone up how you want. Not even close.

Azadre
Jul 6, 2012, 12:55 PM
I too have 0 desire to customize my phone.

jt415105
Jul 6, 2012, 12:56 PM
Enjoy your terrible battery life and awful app store (they may have some of the same apps but they're not the same quality)

Vegastouch
Jul 6, 2012, 01:08 PM

Really?....nice knowledge of a product :rolleyes:
Android doesnt ship with a blank screen and choosing another launcher takes literally 15 seconds from the market. Type in launchers, choose one, or two, or three if you like.

I guess using an Android phone is just over your head. Speaking of having too much time on your hands, ....you are in this forum just like we are :rolleyes:

oBMTo
Jul 6, 2012, 01:12 PM
Enjoy your terrible battery life and awful app store (they may have some of the same apps but they're not the same quality)

Which ones exactly? YouTube app? Maps app?

Azadre
Jul 6, 2012, 01:14 PM
I care about Apple rumors, not android news. Take this **** to phandroid.

Lindenhurst
Jul 6, 2012, 01:30 PM

Not sure how long ago it was that you used Android, but I currently use it and I use Apex Launcher with ICS on my Galaxy Note, and it is perfectly stable.
This is my first Android device, so I can't speak about how it used to be, but the last 4 months with it have been just great. I wouldn't say it was any better than IOS, but I would say that it is very different and allows me to get things exactly the way I want them.

With that said......I am anxiously awaiting IP5 because I have a feeling Apple will surprise us all this time around!

Apparently they have realized that a smaller iPad makes sense, so maybe they also will give us a choice for a larger screen iPhone as well. We'll see soon enough.

----------

Senseless post...

----------

It's not about the "ability" to customize. iOS allows for customization through the stock OS or JB. It's the need to do it endlessly that likely afflicts many Android owners.

I totally agree with you on that. Too many choices means too much time wasted playing with a device. Been there myself. After 4 months, I no longer spend hours flashing and restoring my phone. I guess the newness of it all has finally wore off.

Zaft
Jul 6, 2012, 01:32 PM
Not sure how long ago it was that you used Android, but I currently use it and I use Apex Launcher with ICS on my Galaxy Note, and it is perfectly stable.
This is my first Android device, so I can't speak about how it used to be, but the last 4 months with it have been just great. I wouldn't say it was any better than IOS, but I would say that it is very different and allows me to get things exactly the way I want them.

With that said......I am anxiously awaiting IP5 because I have a feeling Apple will surprise us all this time around!

Apparently they have realized that a smaller iPad makes sense, so maybe they also will give us a choice for a larger screen iPhone as well. We'll see soon enough.

----------

Senseless post...

----------

I totally agree with you on that. Too many choices means too much time wasted playing with a device. Been there myself. After 4 months, I no longer spend hours flashing and restoring my phone. I guess the newness of it all has finally wore off.

it can depend on the device and the skin. I had problems on a DINC2.

matttye
Jul 6, 2012, 01:33 PM

Change the record. Both are fine on my S3. I have an iPad and rarely notice apps being better on iOS. If anything, more are better on Android because it's not as limited.