PDA

View Full Version : 2012 MBA initial battery capacity not 100% issue !!

fckualsukrs
Jun 29, 2012, 08:23 AM
Hey guys.

I've been using my new Air for a couple of days now and really fallen in love with this beauty. However I realized that the brand new MBA is not shipped with a battery capacity of 100%. I started to worried about it.

I ran both coconut battery and Battery health since the first boot. The original battery capacity stated on both program are 6700mAh, but my 2day's old MBA currently only has 6598mAh, which is a 2% dropped.. what should I do to prevent this from occurring? Or is it true that every new Macbook computer does not guarantee a full 100% flawless battery?

Can any apple genius explain this to me please.. I couldn't find any credible result from Google.. Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Jobsian
Jun 29, 2012, 08:31 AM
Don't worry at all by this, it's an inaccuraute recording, check out this thread including my own fluctuations:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1390507

jimboutilier
Jun 29, 2012, 08:42 AM
My 2010 11" MBA showed 97% when I first got it and I had the same worry. After a few full discharge cycles it went to 98%. It's stayed at 98% for the last two years.

My new 2012 MBA reads 98% without any discharge cycles. 100% would have been nice but I'm not too worried after my experience with my 2010 model.

Who knows how accurate the numbers are. All I can say is I get good battery life and that remained true on my last MBA for over two years.

fckualsukrs
Jun 29, 2012, 09:00 AM
Don't worry at all by this, it's an inaccuraute recording, check out this thread including my own fluctuations:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1390507

Thanks for your the link and your confirmation!

----------

My 2010 11" MBA showed 97% when I first got it and I had the same worry. After a few full discharge cycles it went to 98%. It's stayed at 98% for the last two years.

My new 2012 MBA reads 98% without any discharge cycles. 100% would have been nice but I'm not too worried after my experience with my 2010 model.

Who knows how accurate the numbers are. All I can say is I get good battery life and that remained true on my last MBA for over two years.

Yup. I agreed with you. There can't be a perfect battery test app out there. And the mid-2012 MBA's battery is truly amazing for its usage under normal stuff such as 8 hours of battery life on low brightness.

tim100
Jun 29, 2012, 09:05 AM
my macbook air started out at 95% and fluctuates down to 92%. it never gets above 95%. i was concerned because i started out 5% less than capacity i.e. 15% to 80% not 20%.

there is a person on here that did a guide for batteries. basically batteries fluctuate.

GGJstudios
Jun 29, 2012, 09:11 AM
However I realized that the brand new MBA is not shipped with a battery capacity of 100%.
It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

tim100
Jun 29, 2012, 03:06 PM
It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

how about if it never fluctuates up? you start at a lower value than 100% which puts you closer to 80% which is replacement.

GGJstudios
Jun 29, 2012, 03:09 PM
how about if it never fluctuates up? you start at a lower value than 100% which puts you closer to 80% which is replacement.
If it drops below 80% before 1000 cycles, it's very likely it's defective, in which case Apple will replace it free, if the Mac is still covered by warranty or AppleCare. There isn't a predictable pattern to health decline. For example, it may drop from 100% to 90% in 3 months, then take another year before it drops as low as 85%. Also, just because a battery reaches 80% health or lower, doesn't mean it's a useless battery. It can still be used, even though it won't last as long as a battery with a higher health.

tim100
Jun 29, 2012, 03:21 PM
If it drops below 80% before 1000 cycles, it's very likely it's defective, in which case Apple will replace it free, if the Mac is still covered by warranty or AppleCare. There isn't a predictable pattern to health decline. For example, it may drop from 100% to 90% in 3 months, then take another year before it drops as low as 85%. Also, just because a battery reaches 80% health or lower, doesn't mean it's a useless battery. It can still be used, even though it won't last as long as a battery with a higher health.

thank you for the good info.

in your opinion, at what percent less than 100% would you return a macbook that is within its 14 day return policy?

TheRealDamager
Jun 29, 2012, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't even watch it. It's not a factor. If you are getting horrible battery performance after 11 months, THEN have Apple replace it. Just enjoy the machine.

fckualsukrs
Jun 29, 2012, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't even watch it. It's not a factor. If you are getting horrible battery performance after 11 months, THEN have Apple replace it. Just enjoy the machine.

o.O! Pardon me, you mean the AppleCare could change new internal opponent for you whenever you went to the service counter within the valid period?!

iKnowMr.Jobs
Jun 29, 2012, 07:46 PM
My 2012 13 inch air is doing the same thing. I'm not super concerned about it. The battery capacity increased from 97.7% to 98.8% after a discharge. I just assumed that it was inaccurate.

GGJstudios
Jun 29, 2012, 08:51 PM
thank you for the good info.

in your opinion, at what percent less than 100% would you return a macbook that is within its 14 day return policy?
If I bought a new Mac and the battery was below 90% when I first got it, I would ask them to check it out and possibly replace it. Above 90%, I wouldn't worry about it. That's what the warranty is for.

AlanShutko
Jun 29, 2012, 09:13 PM
o.O! Pardon me, you mean the AppleCare could change new internal opponent for you whenever you went to the service counter within the valid period?!

Yes. In fact, even AFTER the warranty period, apple will replace the battery for you for a charge. I think it's something like $125for a MBA battery. It's a fairly quick procedure, think mine was done in a few hours since they had parts in stock. (Rev A MBA.)

TheRealDamager
Jun 29, 2012, 11:05 PM

Yes, if they test it and it is faulty.

tim100
Jul 4, 2012, 11:32 AM
health has dropped to 93%

tim100
Jul 4, 2012, 01:03 PM
If I bought a new Mac and the battery was below 90% when I first got it, I would ask them to check it out and possibly replace it. Above 90%, I wouldn't worry about it. That's what the warranty is for.

coconut is now showing 92% battery charge and the apple battery monitor is showing 98%? why are the precent different. the numbers are accurate according to about this mac.

GGJstudios
Jul 4, 2012, 01:10 PM
coconut is now showing 92% battery charge and the apple battery monitor is showing 98%? why are the precent different. the numbers are accurate according to about this mac.
Take screen shots (http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X) of both and post them (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14126379&postcount=16).

tim100
Jul 4, 2012, 01:22 PM
Take screen shots (http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X) of both and post them (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14126379&postcount=16).

here

GGJstudios
Jul 4, 2012, 01:24 PM
here
That shows your battery health is 94%.

tim100
Jul 4, 2012, 01:26 PM
That shows your battery health is 94%.

yes. it is showing different percent left on battery percent coconut is 58% and apple is 61%, is calibration needed?

GGJstudios
Jul 4, 2012, 01:27 PM
yes. it is showing different percent left on battery percent coconut is 58% and apple is 61%, is calibration needed?
No, as stated in the Battery FAQ, your battery time or percentage remaining is a constantly changing estimate, which varies with the current workload on your system at any given point in time. It isn't 100% accurate. The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490) like the removable batteries.

tim100
Jul 4, 2012, 09:24 PM
No, as stated in the Battery FAQ, your battery time or percentage remaining is a constantly changing estimate, which varies with the current workload on your system at any given point in time. It isn't 100% accurate. The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490) like the removable batteries.

is it normal that coconut battery is showing a different current charge than the battery mac menu bar i.e. the menu bar is showing 5% larger percent left current charge.

GGJstudios
Jul 4, 2012, 09:43 PM
is it normal that coconut battery is showing a different current charge than the battery mac menu bar i.e. the menu bar is showing 5% larger percent left current charge.
As they are both estimates, taken at particular points in time, it's likely they are taken at slightly different times, causing them to vary, as the workload may differ between one estimate and the other. I really wouldn't worry about it.

mattopotamus
Jul 5, 2012, 07:02 AM
like others said, i wouldn't worry about it too much. For me, my battery has 1 cycle on it and has 78% health....definitely defective!

TheRealDamager
Jul 5, 2012, 09:37 AM
Tim - you are just going to drive yourself nuts CONSTANTLY checking multiple battery levels like this - just use the machine.

GGJstudios
Jul 5, 2012, 10:50 AM
like others said, i wouldn't worry about it too much. For me, my battery has 1 cycle on it and has 78% health....definitely defective!
Part of the reason you have 78% health is you only have 1 cycle on it. You're killing your battery faster by not using it. Batteries need to be used to stay healthy. Read the AC POWER section, as well as the rest of the Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

mattopotamus
Jul 5, 2012, 12:03 PM
Part of the reason you have 78% health is you only have 1 cycle on it. You're killing your battery faster by not using it. Batteries need to be used to stay healthy. Read the AC POWER section, as well as the rest of the Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

it is brand new with 78% health right off the bat...not normal at all. The lowest I have seen right away is 90's

GGJstudios
Jul 5, 2012, 12:15 PM
it is brand new with 78% health right off the bat...not normal at all. The lowest I have seen right away is 90's
If it's new, take it back to Apple.

mattopotamus
Jul 5, 2012, 12:16 PM
If it's new, take it back to Apple.

that is what i am doing...i was just giving insight to the initial poster that he does not need to worry about a 95% battery life....me on the other hand, has an issue.

GGJstudios
Jul 5, 2012, 12:16 PM
that is what i am doing...i was just giving insight to the initial poster that he does not need to worry about a 95% battery life....me on the other hand, has an issue.
Got it. You didn't specify in your first post that the battery was new.

mattopotamus
Jul 5, 2012, 12:25 PM
Got it. You didn't specify in your first post that the battery was new.

:) Were you thinking I was just keeping the battery around 80% of a charge then just charging it some more never really letting it hit cycles? I typically use mine until the battery hits red before i recharge.

GGJstudios
Jul 5, 2012, 12:38 PM
:) Were you thinking I was just keeping the battery around 80% of a charge then just charging it some more never really letting it hit cycles? I typically use mine until the battery hits red before i recharge.
Some people run exclusively on AC power, rarely or never cycling their battery. Your post didn't give enough information to know for certain if that was the case. If your normal use requires running on battery until it's almost drained, by all means do so. However, it's not necessary to intentionally do that. You can plug in at any time, regardless of the percentage charge remaining.

mattopotamus
Jul 5, 2012, 12:40 PM
Some people run exclusively on AC power, rarely or never cycling their battery. Your post didn't give enough information to know for certain if that was the case. If your normal use requires running on battery until it's almost drained, by all means do so. However, it's not necessary to intentionally do that. You can plug in at any time, regardless of the percentage charge remaining.

good to know. I always was under the impression that running the battery down as low as you can is best before recharging. I guess i pretty much naturally do that since i don't take it out of the house much.

mattopotamus
Jul 5, 2012, 06:31 PM
Just got back from the apple store...they ran some test and it was a defective battery. Now to the sweet stuff.... They said they just increased the education discount on the airs to $105 off. So you might wanna look into that.

fckualsukrs
Jul 6, 2012, 02:22 AM

Yup. Thats exactly what I used to do on my laptops. Now I've changed my habits and use the power plug every time instead. Hmmm.. how about the new iPad? I mean is the Lithium ion battery in iPad work the same as the new apple MacBooks? Can I plug in all the time using iPad in order to slowly down the charge cycles?

GGJstudios
Jul 6, 2012, 02:23 AM
Yup. Thats exactly what I used to do on my laptops. Now I've changed my habits and use the power plug every time instead.
Using the power plug is the same as running on AC power. That's bad for your battery, as you need to run on battery power regularly to keep it healthy. Always plugging it in also defeats the purpose of having a portable computer with a battery. It's intended to be used without always plugging it in.

fckualsukrs
Jul 6, 2012, 03:48 AM
Using the power plug is the same as running on AC power. That's bad for your battery, as you need to run on battery power regularly to keep it healthy. Always plugging it in also defeats the purpose of having a portable computer with a battery. It's intended to be used without always plugging it in.

Thanks for the reminder once again. How about the case of new iPad? Is the macbook charging principle applicable to the iPad?

GGJstudios
Jul 6, 2012, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the reminder once again. How about the case of new iPad? Is the macbook charging principle applicable to the iPad?
You may want to ask that in the iPad (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137) forum.