Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EnzoAmata

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
After the recent release of Chrome for iOS, it seems like Google have just taken the lead in minimalism when it comes to the browser layout - here is an example of what Safari could look like if Apple borrowed some ideas from Google.

No forward or back buttons here, you swipe edge to edge to navigate back and forth. I might be making a few updates to this idea by adding a cloud button and a menu button.

Safari Image Idea

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
I just hope they give us the option to change the default browser.

Edit:
**If you saw anything else I posted, ie - criticism of Apple's policy, ignore it. It wasn't intended as a bash on Apple, just a simple fact, but regardless, I really don't want to get involved in all the fanboy drama on here.** :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
USA
I don't think I'll be using safari anymore on my iPhone, just like I did on my Mac. I like Chrome a lot more, It just the look and it really is the speed. Except, on the iPhone it's a little sluggish, but it was just released. Also, it looks simpler, I'm not saying that safari doesn't it just Chrome has a nice looks and cleaner feel.

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
I don't think I'll be using safari anymore on my iPhone, just like I did on my Mac. I like Chrome a lot more, It just the look and it really is the speed. Except, on the iPhone it's a little sluggish, but it was just released. Also, it looks simpler, I'm not saying that safari doesn't it just Chrome has a nice looks and cleaner feel.

Unfortunately chrome will never be able to compete until apple levels the playing field. Chrome is being forced to use the built in WebKit to render pages plus it has to use an older version of the JavaScript engine as apple don't allow access to the latest one. Couple this with the fact you can't set chrome to be the default browser (unless using jailbreak) means that even though you don't want to use it, apps that call up the browser will go automatically to safari.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
Unfortunately chrome will never be able to compete until apple levels the playing field. Chrome is being forced to use the built in WebKit to render pages plus it has to use an older version of the JavaScript engine as apple don't allow access to the latest one. Couple this with the fact you can't set chrome to be the default browser (unless using jailbreak) means that even though you don't want to use it, apps that call up the browser will go automatically to safari.

Chrome is Webkit natively, to be fair.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
I will use Safari on my iPhone & iPad. I will probablly remove Chrome on my PC when I upgrade the OS to Windows 8 this fall. Chrome is a very nice browser but it compromises personal privacy too much. :eek:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Chrome is Webkit natively, to be fair.

yes but they have their own javascript engine and i'm sure that they've made their own tweaks to webkit to suit their needs so there actually probably is quite a difference between desktop safari and chrome whereas on iOS chrome is forced to use safari's web rendering without the javascripting that they would prefer to have customized for sure.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Are you guys actually using Chrome on iOS. While I like the layout it feels all around Google and it's beta ***** they always put out. Zooming in and put is a freaking nightmare. :(

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2008
chrome is not even a decent 3rd party browser on ios. Icab is better but since it is google it is magic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.