PDA

View Full Version : AppleCare Question

butterwm
Jun 29, 2012, 09:00 AM
I bought a new MacBook Air for my wife and I bought the AppleCare with it. The box the AppleCare come in just feels like paperwork. Do I need to go online and register the AppleCare or is it automatic and tied to that machine with the purchase since it was bought at the same time?

GGJstudios
Jun 29, 2012, 09:16 AM
I bought a new MacBook Air for my wife and I bought the AppleCare with it. The box the AppleCare come in just feels like paperwork. Do I need to go online and register the AppleCare or is it automatic and tied to that machine with the purchase since it was bought at the same time?
It was automatic. You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here (https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do)

jimboutilier
Jun 29, 2012, 09:18 AM
If you buy direct from apple online with the machine it's supposed to be automatic. Usually you just receive an email or letter a week or two after registering the machine confirming coverage.

But as you seem to have the box, it's likely not auto registered and you have to follow the instructions in the box to go online and register it. Again you should get an email or letter a couple weeks later confirming coverage.

That letter or email from apple is what you need to confirm coverage.

G4DP
Jun 29, 2012, 09:27 AM
If you buy direct from apple online with the machine it's supposed to be automatic. Usually you just receive an email or letter a week or two after registering the machine confirming coverage.

But as you seem to have the box, it's likely not auto registered and you have to follow the instructions in the box to go online and register it. Again you should get an email or letter a couple weeks later confirming coverage.

Not always true.

We have ordered AppleCare with both machines purchased recently. They were auto-enrolled on date of purchase, we still received the box and required paperwork. We also got the confirmation e-mails before the computers.

GGJstudios
Jun 29, 2012, 09:31 AM

Apple sends the box, even if it's auto registered. Also, you don't need an email or letter to confirm coverage. Just use the link I posted. If it's registered, either by you or by Apple, you don't need to show anything to prove it's covered. If you take it to Apple for service, they simply look up the serial number to see if it has warranty or AppleCare coverage.

Macman45
Jun 29, 2012, 09:33 AM
OP: Look at your invoice....If it says "App for Macbook autoenroll" then you need do nothing. The only device I had to actually register was my ATV3, and that came with clear instructions on how to.

If you want to be sure, just check on the my products page:

https://daw.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/DSAuthWeb.woa/wa/classicLogin?appIdKey=58ef9db8ff4d201409e7270a68e4408ae1678e1618204c476572a1b5e5fb3518&path&language=US-EN

Sign in and enter the serial number of your Mac.

jimboutilier
Jun 29, 2012, 09:47 AM
Not always true.

We have ordered AppleCare with both machines purchased recently. They were auto-enrolled on date of purchase, we still received the box and required paperwork. We also got the confirmation e-mails before the computers.

Experiences differ. The last few machines I ordered online from apple with AppleCare, I did not get a box, and automatically got a letter. As apple states it's that letter you need as proof of coverage I don't put full trust in the online linkage getting correctly established or maintained although it always has been for me so far.

----------

Apple sends the box, even if it's auto registered. Also, you don't need an email or letter to confirm coverage. Just use the link I posted. If it's registered, either by you or by Apple, you don't need to show anything to prove it's covered. If you take it to Apple for service, they simply look up the serial number to see if it has warranty or AppleCare coverage.

I hadn't gotten a box on my last few purchase but likely policy or practice varies somewhat. While I've had good luck with the online linkage being established and maintained, Apple clearly states that the letter or email is your proof of coverage and if there is a glitch with the online stuff that's what may be required as proof of coverage. So just to be on the safe side I like to get the letter and squirrel it away in a safe place. Haven't needed it yet but...

oneMadRssn
Jun 29, 2012, 09:55 AM
What does the box contain exactly? Is it anything necessary if you enroll at the store?

Is the student discount the cheapest way to get apple care? Does anyone know any less expensive ways (excluding sketchy sellers on ebay)?

Anyone have experience buying it in a MA apple store? I've been told that they don't charge sales tax on apple care because it's not a "good", is this true?

GGJstudios
Jun 29, 2012, 10:03 AM
What does the box contain exactly? Is it anything necessary if you enroll at the store?
The box just has paperwork. If you're not automatically enrolled, such as buying AppleCare after you bought your Mac, you call AppleCare to register, rather than doing so at an Apple Store.
Is the student discount the cheapest way to get apple care? Does anyone know any less expensive ways (excluding sketchy sellers on ebay)?
The education discount is probably the cheapest you'll find.

butterwm
Jun 29, 2012, 04:37 PM
That's interesting. I went back and put the serial number of our iPad's in there ( we bought AppleCare on both) and the link doesn't show either are covered beyond the year. Anyone ever have this happen and what did you do to fix it?

powsucks
Jun 30, 2012, 06:45 AM
I bought through the education store so should have 3 years applecare, but when I go on that site it only has cover until next year. Think I'll need to contact Apple.

GGJstudios
Jun 30, 2012, 12:01 PM
I bought through the education store so should have 3 years applecare, but when I go on that site it only has cover until next year. Think I'll need to contact Apple.
Are you in the UK? The UK's Higher Education program provides 3 years coverage if bought online, but that doesn't apply to the US. All US purchases come with the standard 1-year warranty. AppleCare is an extra-cost option.

powsucks
Jun 30, 2012, 12:04 PM
Are you in the UK? The UK's Higher Education program provides 3 years coverage if bought online, but that doesn't apply to the US. All US purchases come with the standard 1-year warranty. AppleCare is an extra-cost option.

Yes I'm in the UK, bought through a University website.

GGJstudios
Jun 30, 2012, 12:14 PM
Yes I'm in the UK, bought through a University website.
Yep, sounds like contacting Apple is the best next step.

mattopotamus
Jun 30, 2012, 12:22 PM
This thread actually made me check on my iPhone. I bought AppleCare+ with the phone back in November. In march I had an issue with the volume decreasing by itself. Apple replace the phone and I asked about the apple care and they said it transferred, but online doesn't show I have it.