Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maffew12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2012
I bought this iMac the other day and all is well, except I'd quite like to set it up as my computer and do a fresh install of Lion. I've no idea how to do this though? I tried restarting and holding down command R, then tried just command, neither of those worked.. I don't have the recovery thing that's supposed to come with Lion.. what's up? what do i do?

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I bought this iMac the other day and all is well, except I'd quite like to set it up as my computer and do a fresh install of Lion. I've no idea how to do this though? I tried restarting and holding down command R, then tried just command, neither of those worked.. I don't have the recovery thing that's supposed to come with Lion.. what's up? what do i do?

Is it a wireless keyboard? My wireless won't catch the CMD+R at boot, so I have to use a wired keyboard.

Otherwise look in the Utitlites folder (or download it) for the Recovery assistant:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

It lets you create a Recovery boot on a USB stick.

maffew12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2012
it doesnt work! i get this message:

"The Recovery HD on this computer is damaged or not present. Recovery Disk Assistant requires a functioning Lion Recovery HD to create an external Lion Recovery."

??? it shouldn't be this hard :( when i got the computer it had reFit on it, and you chose to boot into OSX - and i deleted it... could this be a problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.