PDA

View Full Version : Broadband eyes a quantum leap

MacBytes
Jul 25, 2005, 10:46 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Broadband eyes a quantum leap (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050725114602)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

adamfilip
Jul 25, 2005, 11:24 AM
thats all fine and dandy.. but
if my ftp server is only sending me files at 50k/sec. whats the point

I find the fastest connection is receiving or sending directly with your service provider. but that doesnt mean site you are surfing to has a crazy fast connection themself.

so this would be great for streaming video or whatever from your provider.
but thats about it.

im not complaining. ill take all the bandwidth i can get

wrldwzrd89
Jul 25, 2005, 11:54 AM
I agree with what adamfilip said.

I don't see this demand for streaming TV materializing anywhere nearly as fast as the article seems to imply. The whole argument for 30Mb/sec minimum bandwidth to the home doesn't convince me.

ham_man
Jul 25, 2005, 12:12 PM
I would prefer that somebody try to expand cable to rural areas. Until then, this means bollocks to me. I don't see normal satellite or cable TV going anywhere soon...

nagromme
Jul 25, 2005, 01:26 PM
I'd settle for half of cable speeds, at $15/month (with no commitment to buy dozens of useless TV channels).

suntzu
Jul 25, 2005, 02:49 PM
Actually I look forward to this because it might mean that we can get our show/channels a la carte. Sure you can get shows online now (... from somewhere... :rolleyes: ) but that basically sucks out your bandwidth. Imagine having faster speeds than you have now AND being able to get shows that you want without taking a performance hit on either tasks.

MacBandit
Jul 25, 2005, 06:42 PM
I'd settle for half of cable speeds, at $15/month (with no commitment to buy dozens of useless TV channels).

You're cable company requires you to have TV service?

solvs
Jul 26, 2005, 12:28 AM
You're cable company requires you to have TV service?
You get a discount if you have TV and Internet. Otherwise you pay another ~$10 or so.

Nermal
Jul 26, 2005, 12:53 AM
I often find with my current connection that I'm limited by the server or pipe. Typically I get around 512 kb/s from the USA, whereas I get around 2 Mb/s from Aust/NZ. Having a super-fast connection isn't really going to help, just like adamfilip said.

My current connection is the first that I have been truly happy with. It's faster than the servers, and it's cheap :)

mad jew
Jul 26, 2005, 12:56 AM
Well, I'm on a pretty fast connection right now and as I wrote here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=134154) (although nobody seemed to care, meh :( ) there's really no hugely noticeable difference for many things.

Nermal
Jul 26, 2005, 05:11 AM
Just out of interest, how much are you paying for that connection?

robbieduncan
Jul 26, 2005, 05:18 AM
But I've only just upgraded (really it only came on yesterday) to an 8Mbit connection! The week and a half I had no connection for (thanks BT/Bulldog for messing that up) was terrible.

As noted in the linked thread above I'm not noticing much of a difference from my previous 2Mbit connection. Web pages loads are very slightly faster. Downloads from some servers are much faster (I was getting between 730 and 740 KB/s from Apple last night) but many servers don't seem able to put that out.

mad jew
Jul 26, 2005, 07:09 AM
Just out of interest, how much are you paying for that connection?

Me? AU$80 for 30GB but it starts at AU$60 for 15GB. It's better value than the flat Telstra 1.5Mbps connections thanks to the ACCC. :)

MacBandit
Jul 26, 2005, 10:43 AM
You get a discount if you have TV and Internet. Otherwise you pay another ~$10 or so.

Yeah that's the same as here. Though I found that I could save far more than $10 by switching from Cable to DirecTV and had much better service. Unfortunately now that I have moved I can't get satellite anymore which really pisses me off. The price of Cable internet is part of the reason I'm considering switching to ClearWire. I find I really don't need the speed cable offers and would get DSL if it were offered here due to the lesser price. My only stumbling block right now is having to change my email address. Guess I should get them switched to my .Mac and Google email addresses then I wouldn't have to worry about it.

wdlove
Jul 26, 2005, 11:44 AM

Now we will just have to wait and see how this affects us in the United States. I agree with you on paying for useless channels. That is why I have Basic cable at $9.16 per month. Just can't see paying $40, when there would only be two additional channels if interest like CNN and Discovery.

I wish that Cable broadband was $15 per month her in Boston. Comcast charges almost $50 per month, and the service isn't as reliable. The problem with prices and service has to do with the monopoly control of Comcast and Verizon. The competition is forced into higher prices and lower speeds.
:mad:

Nermal
Jul 26, 2005, 04:21 PM
Me? AU$80 for 30GB but it starts at AU$60 for 15GB. It's better value than the flat Telstra 1.5Mbps connections thanks to the ACCC. :)

That's not too bad. I wish our CC would jump in and do something though. Until recently we were paying NZ$60 for 128k! :eek: (now NZ$45 for 2 Mb/s, no data cap :D)

mad jew
Jul 26, 2005, 07:06 PM
That's not too bad. I wish our CC would jump in and do something though. Until recently we were paying NZ$60 for 128k! :eek: (now NZ$45 for 2 Mb/s, no data cap :D)

That's quite a bit better than our standard 1.5Mbps plans, capped or uncapped.