Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

upthere_logo-150x149.jpg

Back in March 2011, Apple announced that senior vice president of Mac Software Engineering Bertrand Serlet was leaving the company after over 20 years working with Steve Jobs at NeXT and Apple. Serlet and Apple were quiet about his future plans at the time, noting only that he wished to "focus less on products and more on science".

Business Insider now reports that Serlet has been working on a stealth Palo Alto-based startup known as Upthere.
The startup is still in stealth mode, so information about it is scarce, but we've uncovered a few details about the company through job postings, trademark requests, domain name registrations and tweets from employees.

The earliest reference to the company online dates back to April of last year, right after Serlet left Apple, when Upthere, Inc was granted the trademark for "Upthere." In that initial trademark request, the startup is described as being a "cloud hosting provider" which offers "consulting services in the field of cloud computing."

Job postings for design engineers started popping up towards the end of 2011, by which point the company described itself as being an early stage startup looking to build a cloud storage feature, with seven employees on staff.
Additional digging by Business Insider revealed evidence in job postings and a Tweet that Serlet and former Apple and Oracle executive Roger Bodamer are involved with Upthere.

Serlet is known as one of the key figures behind the development of Mac OS X, and he made several appearances on stage during Apple keynotes, perhaps most notably at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in 2006 where he famously compared Windows Vista to Mac OS X Tiger in his "Redmond, start your photocopiers" presentation.

Article Link: Longtime OS X Chief Bertrand Serlet Working on New Cloud Startup

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Brilliant man and he was hilarious too during keynotes. Wish him the best.

Loyalty4Life

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2006
This video is what lured me into being an Apple freak. Bertrand was so funny with this presentation. It's still an epic video. Please take the time to watch it. Just don't watch his glass eye too closely. Might creep you out. :apple::apple::apple:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I never comment on graphics because I'm a total philistine and incredibly easy to please.

But I gotta say...that's not, IMHO, the coolest graphic I've ever seen. I get the idea of interlocking circles, one above the other, but to my simplemindedly untrained eye...it looks kind of not so terrific or inspiring..

But then, what the hell do I know?? :p:D

Last edited:

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
I thought he was quoted as saying he was leaving to focus on 'research rather than products' or something similar when he left Apple...

Anyway it'll be interesting to see what they come up with, since they have a mind like his on board.

tbl

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
That video never fails to make me laugh. I have really high hopes for whatever Bertrand does...

kps

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
kw.on.ca
I wonder whether it's coincidence that the dumbing-down and closing of OS X began at the same time as he left Apple.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
It seems a bit disingenuous for Serlet to say he was leaving to focus on 'science' instead of 'products', and then he goes right out and joins a cloud service startup. Reminds me of the dotcom bomb I worked at where the CEO gave a big speech about how excited he was about the future of the company, and then the next day we were all laid off as he left with his golden parachute.

I have nothing against Serlet though, and I wish him the best. Hopefully he can make a better cloud service than the dodgy iCloud.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I miss Bertrand "Surly" Serlet.

Wonder what they got cooking for this new company. Everyone's on this cloud thingy now.

Cloud dating?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
considering the work that he did on OS X it will be interesting to see what comes to be from his new project.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This video is what lured me into being an Apple freak. Bertrand was so funny with this presentation. It's still an epic video. Please take the time to watch it. Just don't watch his glass eye too closely. Might creep you out. :apple::apple::apple:

He has a glass eye. I just thought he gets an uncontrollable twitch from having to talk about Windows. I have the same thing happen every time my mother tries to get me to fix her 10 year old Gateway that she refuses to replace

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
But I gotta say...that's not, IMHO, the coolest graphic I've ever seen. I get the idea of interlocking circles, on above the other, but to my simplemindedly untrained eye...it looks kind of not so terrific or inspiring..
Will some people read it as "there up"?

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Pan-Fur!!

Say it!!!!!

Pan-Fur!!

For someone that has been to many WWDCs and listened to him speak I always got a kick when he pronounced the word "Panther".

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Explains a great many things......

He probably thought that iOS integration into Lion was a mistake.
He probably thought getting rid of Spaces was a mistake
And he probably thought that not paying any attention to memory management was a mistake

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.