PDA

View Full Version : They're playing our song. So why are the tills silent?

MacBytes
Jul 25, 2005, 10:48 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: They're playing our song. So why are the tills silent? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050725114835)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

devilot
Jul 25, 2005, 11:12 AM
I think the record industry needs a serious revamp.

You can buy a commercial dvd movie for $7.50! So why is it a mere cd, can be sold upwards of $15? The record industry is taking a huge cut of the profit. That's why Wal Mart and Target routinely sell cds below the profit point-- and yet still come up on top.

coolfactor
Jul 25, 2005, 11:24 AM
This article has some incorrect details and assumptions.

1) 60 million songs available from iTunes? huh?
2) 21 songs downloaded from iTunes per iPod, so the remaining 4000 are illegal? That's a load.

Not sure where the author got the facts, but it wasn't Earth.

coolfactor
Jul 25, 2005, 11:27 AM
I think the record industry needs a serious revamp.

You can buy a commercial dvd movie for $7.50! So why is it a mere cd, can be sold upwards of $15? The record industry is taking a huge cut of the profit. That's why Wal Mart and Target routinely sell cds below the profit point-- and yet still come up on top.

I think there's an average of 9 to 10 songs per CD, so $9 to $10 is a fair price, in my opinion. I'm willing to pay for something that has value to me. Funny that iTunes is priced at about a buck a song, eh?

I think the music industry is getting what they had coming to them. It's a wake up call, just too bad that us consumers have to suffer for their lack of foresight and innovation.

wrldwzrd89
Jul 25, 2005, 11:48 AM
This article is so off-base when it comes to me that it's just sad.

1. I'm 100% legal.
2. 0% of my songs are ripped from CDs.
3. 0% of my songs come from the iTMS or any other online music store.

Therefore, 100% of my music is outside the jurisdiction of the RIAA (and its cousins in other countries)...making the stats utterly meaningless.

devilot
Jul 25, 2005, 11:55 AM
I think there's an average of 9 to 10 songs per CD, so $9 to $10 is a fair price, in my opinion. I'm willing to pay for something that has value to me. Funny that iTunes is priced at about a buck a song, eh?

I think the music industry is getting what they had coming to them. It's a wake up call, just too bad that us consumers have to suffer for their lack of foresight and innovation.
I agree $90-10 is fair... but there are a LOT of CDs that sell for more. It's really too bad because some artists make almost nothing from CD sales (luckily for us it forces them to tour, yay for concerts!). But of course, tickets are awfully pricey, too.

otter-boy
Jul 25, 2005, 01:33 PM
2) 21 songs downloaded from iTunes per iPod, so the remaining 4000 are illegal? That's a load.

Yeah, I would have thought that this RIAA lie would be dead by now. I keep reading this statement in all types of publications. At least in the US, ripping songs from a CD for personal use is legal. I don't know what the law is in the UK (where the Guardian is published) but in the US, a statement like
That still leaves more than 4,000 illegal downloads ripped from CDs or downloaded from other illegal sites such as Kazaa
doesn't make sense: ripping from CDs that you legally own is not analogous to downloading from illegal sites (though the author confuses Kazaa, a program, for a site also).

Again, I'm not sure what the laws are like in the UK, but I at least wish that US publications wouldn't repeat that "fact".

otter-boy
Jul 25, 2005, 01:38 PM

I live in Texas, where things are fairly cheap. I haven't seen a regularly priced CD for $9-$10 since the early 90s, evidently before the major music companies entered into their illegal price-fixing phase. Even after the government found them guilty of price-fixing, the record companies haven't lowered their prices. When I go into a store today, I see most CDs, except for maybe the top 10 sellers, priced around $15-$18.

devilot
Jul 25, 2005, 01:42 PM
When I go into a store today, I see most CDs, except for maybe the top 10 sellers, priced around $15-$18.
Agreed, as I said in my previous post. But there is one plus to all this, smaller music stores are getting a shot at success by selling used CDs, like Amoeba, Rasputin, and Streetlight.

Nickygoat
Jul 25, 2005, 03:41 PM

$10 might be a fair price but it doesn't apply to overseas markets. I saw Nevermind by Nirvana for 10 here the other day, but saw Wall St (arguably the same- a cult classic from the same era that became popular) for 5. How can DVDs be cheaper than CDs? The record industry is dying slowly through a refusal to recognise the real world.

mkrishnan
Jul 25, 2005, 03:50 PM
doesn't make sense: ripping from CDs that you legally own is not analogous to downloading from illegal sites (though the author confuses Kazaa, a program, for a site also).

Again, I'm not sure what the laws are like in the UK, but I at least wish that US pbulications wouldn't repeat that "fact".

Yeah, this irritated me about this article too.... If the record industry expects people to re-buy a collection of 200 or 300 or 400 CDs in digital format to placate them on the copyright front, then they have another thing coming.... :mad: :rolleyes:

Applespider
Jul 25, 2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah, this irritated me about this article too.... If the record industry expects people to re-buy a collection of 200 or 300 or 400 CDs in digital format to placate them on the copyright front, then they have another thing coming.... :mad: :rolleyes:

I've ripped my CDs and I buy from iTMS or get from artists sites etc. I don't download music from P2Ps illegally. I still have all my CDs - I haven't sold them on after I've ripped them so I can't particularly see what the problem is. I'm tired of replacing formats. I've had albums on vinyl that I replaced on CD so I'm darned if I'm paying again to get them to digital. Equally, I have movies on tape that I've repurchased on DVD (not many though yet until the VCR becomes obsolete) and I won't buy them again either.