PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's earth deletes Apple HQ

Applespider
Jul 25, 2005, 10:38 AM
Spotted this on the Register earlier - Microsoft's Virtual Earth shows a more or less empty lot at Infinite Loop, Cupertino. Wishful thinking?

Microsoft Earth deletes Apple (http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2005/07/25/msn_earth_deletes_aple/)

More distressing, they're out of date enough to still be showing the Twin Towers...

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jul 25, 2005, 10:42 AM
Saw that... I actually thought it kind of funny... probably the best idea they've had at Microsoft for years... :p

katie ta achoo
Jul 25, 2005, 10:58 AM
If ya can't beat 'em, DESTROY THEM!

Mega-MS deathray, go!

:p

idea_hamster
Jul 25, 2005, 11:12 AM
Now that's denial! :eek:

emw
Jul 25, 2005, 11:22 AM
What's interesting is that the image of my house is exactly the same on Google and MSN - I can tell because the cars on the road are the same in both images.

So do they both get images from multiple sources?

devilot
Jul 25, 2005, 11:24 AM
Now that's denial! :eek:
Haha, I think it reeks of a sore loser. Winners don't have to stoop to such tactics. :cool:

g4cubed
Jul 25, 2005, 11:24 AM
I guess that's one way to get rid of the competition.

dsharits
Jul 25, 2005, 11:39 AM
And people say that Steve has a reality distortion field.... :rolleyes:

Blackheart
Jul 25, 2005, 11:45 AM
I don't think they've actually deleted it. Seems to me that they just have old images.

JeffTL
Jul 25, 2005, 11:53 AM
Not only pre-9/11 NYC imagery, but pre-Apple Cupertino imagery?

Sounds like they need to buy some new satellite photos.

SiliconAddict
Jul 25, 2005, 12:14 PM
I don't think they've actually deleted it. Seems to me that they just have old images.

Yah MSís satellite picts are obscenely out of date. The freaking Met center where the MN North Stars use to play is still standing and the Maul of America is still being built. :eek: Terraserver was good at the time for casual browsing but if you are going to link sat photoes to mapping software you need something that is a little newer then 10+ years.

ham_man
Jul 25, 2005, 12:16 PM
I think that the 9/11 part is what we should be talking about...

As for Infinite Loop being destroyed, can Apple put a blank spot on Redmond? :rolleyes:

Sirus The Virus
Jul 25, 2005, 12:22 PM
On the Google maps my High school was just beginning construction. And that was about 5 or 6 years ago! But Apple's HQ has been there for a while. There is something fishy about this.

macidiot
Jul 25, 2005, 12:54 PM
as usual with anything from Microsoft, one should wait for the service pack. ;) Its junk until at least rev 3. And of course, in typical Microsoft fashion, they are little behind the times...

azdude
Jul 25, 2005, 01:10 PM
as usual with anything from Microsoft, one should wait for the service pack. ;) Its junk until at least rev 3. And of course, in typical Microsoft fashion, they are little behind the times...

A little... yikes. Cupertino HQ was built in '92-'93. Those are OLD photos, or somebody had some fun.

SiliconAddict
Jul 25, 2005, 01:12 PM
On the Google maps my High school was just beginning construction. And that was about 5 or 6 years ago! But Apple's HQ has been there for a while. There is something fishy about this.

Nothing fishy. MS's maps are just out of date. Also satellite photos aren't taken overnight. Many of the pictures even on google's sites span at least a decade. Heck take a look at Washington DC. You will see adjoining areas that are under construction in one area and are newly renovated in others. Its just the way things work until Google can take a snapshot of the entire world all at once. Damn that would be cool.

SiliconAddict
Jul 25, 2005, 01:18 PM
A little... yikes. Cupertino HQ was built in '92-'93. Those are OLD photos, or somebody had some fun.

The maps are from http://terraserver.microsoft.com/

Apple Campus (http://tinyurl.com/auhpg)

Image Information:
Projection: North American Datum 1983 / UTM Zone 10N
Provider: U.S. Geological Survey
Resolution: 1.000 meters per pixel
Size: 600 pixels wide by 400 pixels high
Type: Digital Ortho-Quadrangles (digitized and othro-rectified aerial photographs)
Aerial Photo 10/30/1991

MS has had terra server around for years. They simply slapped the data that was on it into their mapping software and called it crap....

zelmo
Jul 25, 2005, 01:22 PM
And people say that Steve has a reality distortion field.... :rolleyes:

An early frontrunner for "quote of the week" honors. :)

nagromme
Jul 25, 2005, 01:43 PM
I'll take maps.google.com any day. A great system.

dornoforpyros
Jul 25, 2005, 02:00 PM
am I the only one that found M$'s virtual earth really, really counter intuative? Maby I've just used google maps too much but the the M$ version didn't seem to want to operate very smooth/easy.

quackattack
Jul 25, 2005, 02:07 PM
Geez, talk about paranoid. I mean honestly, they had to have some sort of meeting where they discussed not showing Apple HQ. Its not like it is Area 51 or something :rolleyes: .

Tahko
Jul 25, 2005, 02:51 PM
Its not like it is Area 51 or something :rolleyes: .
What do you know? :eek:

cr2sh
Jul 25, 2005, 02:51 PM
The maps are from http://terraserver.microsoft.com/

Apple Campus (http://tinyurl.com/auhpg)

Image Information:
Projection: North American Datum 1983 / UTM Zone 10N
Provider: U.S. Geological Survey
Resolution: 1.000 meters per pixel
Size: 600 pixels wide by 400 pixels high
Type: Digital Ortho-Quadrangles (digitized and othro-rectified aerial photographs)
Aerial Photo 10/30/1991

MS has had terra server around for years. They simply slapped the data that was on it into their mapping software and called it crap....

Indeed. I'm quite certain that MS has nothing to do with this.. but it is funny that if you go east 15miles, the ortho photos are a little more recent (1998).

IJ Reilly
Jul 25, 2005, 04:12 PM
IIRC, the terraserver aerials are old Soviet spy satellite data, so most of it will predate 1990. Google seems to have better and more recent coverages.

Santaduck
Jul 25, 2005, 06:42 PM
Microsoft's Reality Distortion Field has arrived!

(eat your heart out Steve Jobs)

LimeiBook86
Jul 25, 2005, 07:04 PM
Most if not all of Microsoft's maps are in black and white, when Googles are in nice glorious extra color! :D Google wins hands down!

Lacero
Jul 25, 2005, 07:52 PM
It doesn't make Microsoft look good. Which, in a weird way, I almost feel bad about. I'd love to see Google with a real competitor if only because I like seeing competition, because it usually benefits me (the customer (but not consumer)) - but if Microsoft is only going to make a half-assed shot at it, then they may as well stay out of the game.

dmw007
Jul 25, 2005, 08:14 PM
As for Infinite Loop being destroyed, can Apple put a blank spot on Redmond? :rolleyes:

Well, they could just settle for placing a blank spot on Redmond...or they could lob a few nukes there and wipe M$ out for good. :D ;)

Inspector Lee
Jul 25, 2005, 10:56 PM
or they could lob a few nukes there and wipe M$ out for good. :D ;)

But then we'd have nothing to piss, moan and rage about...

GFLPraxis
Jul 25, 2005, 11:18 PM
The reason is that Microsoft's Virtual Earth uses 11-year-old maps.

mad jew
Jul 25, 2005, 11:20 PM
The reason is that Microsoft's Virtual Earth uses 11-year-old maps.

That'd be right. :rolleyes:

Detlev
Jul 26, 2005, 03:15 AM
This blog (http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-5804041.html?part=rss&tag=5804041&subj=news) seems to have their official response and explanation.

dmw007
Jul 26, 2005, 05:05 PM
But then we'd have nothing to piss, moan and rage about...

Well, true...

MikeTheC
Jul 28, 2005, 10:44 PM
Well, they could just settle for placing a blank spot on Redmond...or they could lob a few nukes there and wipe M$ out for good. :D ;)

Hmmm... Interesting. Of course, you could always try clicking here (http://www.netdisaster.com/go.php?mode=bomb&url=http://www.microsoft.com/) instead...

(Remember: never wish for something you don't want.)

MikeTheC
Jul 28, 2005, 10:51 PM
This is my favorite quote of the whole article:

Microsoft expects to provide regular incremental updates, as well as major upgrades throughout the year, the representative said.

Guess Windows isn't the only thing requiring "regular incremental updates". I can only wonder how many service packs this one's gonna require... heh heh heh...

Hey, folks, maybe this IS Microsoft Windows Vista.

[mumbles something to himself about this perfectly demonstrating Microsoft's absolute disdain for the rest of the world and everything on it...]