PDA

View Full Version : Apple Wins Injunction Barring U.S. Sales of Samsung Galaxy Nexus Phone

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

MacRumors
Jun 29, 2012, 09:22 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/29/apple-wins-injunction-barring-u-s-sales-of-samsung-galaxy-nexus-phone/)

Just days after Apple won an injunction (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/26/apple-wins-preliminary-injunction-against-samsung-galaxy-tab-sales-in-u-s/) barring U.S. sales of Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1, Reuters reports (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/29/us-apple-samsung-idUSBRE85S1J320120629) that the same judge has issued a second preliminary injunction that would bar sales of Samsung's Galaxy Nexus smartphone."Apple has made a clear showing that, in the absence of a preliminary injunction, it is likely to lose substantial market share in the smartphone market and to lose substantial downstream sales of future smartphone purchases and tag-along products," Judge Koh said in Friday's ruling.The new Galaxy Nexus injunction is a much more significant victory for Apple than the Galaxy Tab 10.1 injunction, as evidenced by the $95 million bond Apple will need to post in order for the injunction to take effect. The bond money, which amounted to only $2.6 million (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/28/u-s-ban-on-samsung-galaxy-tab-sales-goes-into-effect-as-apple-posts-bond/) in the Galaxy Tab 10.1 case, would be used to compensate Samsung should Apple ultimately lose the case when it goes to full trial.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/samsung_galaxy_nexus.jpg

The Galaxy Nexus has been Google's flagship device for showing off its Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" operating system since late last year, and was given away to attendees at this week's Google I/O conference as part of a package showing off the forthcoming Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean" update.

Article Link: Apple Wins Injunction Barring U.S. Sales of Samsung Galaxy Nexus Phone (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/29/apple-wins-injunction-barring-u-s-sales-of-samsung-galaxy-nexus-phone/)

adder7712
Jun 29, 2012, 09:24 PM
Among all Samsung phones, the Galaxy Nexus has the least resemblance to the iPhone. :rolleyes:

andyx3x
Jun 29, 2012, 09:24 PM
Apple really just needs to stop with this. It's make them look really insecure.

P.S. I have an iPhone so I have no agenda.

scotty321
Jun 29, 2012, 09:25 PM
Go Apple!! Finally, some justice is being served in this country!!

chrmjenkins
Among all Samsung phones, the Galaxy Nexus has the least resemblance to the iPhone. :rolleyes:

The four patents in question are software.

adder7712

By cancelling out competition? Nope.

ThunderSkunk
Hah. Lucrative ebay business opportunity!

fruitpunch.ben
Jun 29, 2012, 09:26 PM

In this case the lawsuit is not about hardware but software: there are 4 software patents the Galaxy Nexus is considered by the judge to violate, the most important has to do with Siri

EDIT: beaten by chrm jenkins

kenypowa
Jun 29, 2012, 09:26 PM
One day, what comes around goes around. A modern smartphone involves over 200,000 patents, and you would be naive to believe Apple doesn't infringe any one of them.

fun173
Jun 29, 2012, 09:27 PM
Cue I just want my iPhone 5!!!!! posts :D:p

MacFan23
Jun 29, 2012, 09:27 PM
Well this sucks :/

adder7712
Jun 29, 2012, 09:28 PM
In this case the lawsuit is not about hardware but software: there are 4 software patents the Galaxy Nexus is considered by the judge to violate, the most important has to do with Siri

EDIT: beaten by chrm jenkins

The Galaxy Nexus doesn't have Siri-like functionality.

joelisfar
Jun 29, 2012, 09:29 PM
“I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple’s $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong.”

“I’m going to destroy Android, because it’s a stolen product. I’m willing to go thermonuclear war on this.”

TennisandMusic
Jun 29, 2012, 09:30 PM
I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apples $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong.

Im going to destroy Android, because its a stolen product. Im willing to go thermonuclear war on this.

Problem is Steve Jobs was wrong. These patents, and their enforcement, are completely ridiculous.

Peace
http://www.matthewratzloff.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/take-my-money.jpg

wait....

Caliber26
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m39ejpFhZK1qcxmrho1_250.gif

kiljoy616

No justice here, that phone looks nothing like an iPhone maybe the tablet did but this phone is a joke. I guess Apple is pissed at what happen before and Samsung not playing ball. But with billions to burn I can see Apple playing Microsofts game for years to come. :(

2IS
Jun 29, 2012, 09:31 PM
Apple won't win if this goes to trial and it will cost them the $9m bond, whatever money they paid this judge to grant the injunction and Samsugs legal fees not to mention their own.

kiljoy616
Jun 29, 2012, 09:31 PM
The four patents in question are software.

Then why not sue Google? Case dismissed if we follow your logic. :rolleyes:

Peace
Jun 29, 2012, 09:32 PM
Apple won't win if this goes to trial and it will cost them the $9m bond, whatever money they paid this judge to grant the injunction and Samsugs legal fees not to mention their own.

And you know this how ?

LagFighter
Jun 29, 2012, 09:32 PM
Shame that it came to this. This injunction will hit Google where it really hurts.

Who is in the right? Well, I stand by my belief that Google did directly rip off of a lot of core software technologies in iPhone. That said, Apple is violating the spirit of competition with this lawsuit.

I think poor Samsung is the real loser here though.

Windlasher
Jun 29, 2012, 09:33 PM
...Samsung has filed a few dumb lawsuits itself against apple...

"Cant we all just get along"

coolbreeze
Apple sees Google's OS and $349 unlocked price and sues everything in sight. They see a major threat and go for the jugular legal-wise. Psst: it's called competition.

Sigh. Apple seems to want nobody to push them with competing products. Their basis for this is far-reaching...google is a search company, of course their phone software will perform basic and advanced search functions (including voice). They really need to chill out with all this suing crap. It's tacky.

I'm honestly considering selling my iPad and Macbook out of principle. I'm quickly losing respect for Apple's management. They are behaving like children. It's hard to support a company that quickly moves to stifle competition and innovation.

The Galaxy Nexus is an amazing device and Jelly Bean is a superb OS. Apple knows this and they are scrambling to eliminate competition.

kiljoy616

Even if it did that is a Google made OS not a Samsung one. Apple is pulling a page out of Microsofts playbook, sue as long as possible and stifle competition or until they play ball. :eek:

Kabeyun

It's not fair competition if you've implemented someone else's ideas without permission or compensation. That should probably be "cancelled out."

Peace
Jun 29, 2012, 09:34 PM

Because samsung makes the phone ?

lsvtecjohn3
Jun 29, 2012, 09:35 PM

So Apple should just let Samsung and others rip them off?

If Apple feels that Samsung or who ever else is ripping them off they should sue them, just like if Apple is stealing other companies software they also should get sued.

I'd be pissed if I came up with a great idea and someone else came along and stole my idea and was making money off my hard work

kiljoy616
Jun 29, 2012, 09:35 PM
...Samsung has filed a few dumb lawsuits itself against apple...

"Cant we all just get along"

No considering this is CEO rich dude fun. Competition is not a bad thing, but this is not about consumers but about profit and posturing. I am sure most of us would think the same and act the same if our company was a billion dollar one and we had control and the capital to do it. ;) Who am I kidding that's exactly how I would act.

iansilv
Jun 29, 2012, 09:36 PM
Hey Samsung!

Jb07
Jun 29, 2012, 09:37 PM
These lawsuits are pathetic. If they post a $95 Million bond to block sales of a 9 month old phone soon to be replaced, I'll be so disappointed. Money that could've been spent on bettering their products used to block something that is soon to be outdated.

Saladinos
Jun 29, 2012, 09:39 PM
Google deserve this.

iansilv
Jun 29, 2012, 09:39 PM
It's not fair competition if you've implemented someone else's ideas without permission or compensation. That should probably be "cancelled out."

This! Thank you! Everyone keeps talking about "competition" this and that- taking someone's patents is not fair competition! That's cheating and it destroys innovation by removing the incentive to innovate.

mangotears
Jun 29, 2012, 09:40 PM
Shame that it came to this. This injunction will hit Google where it really hurts.

Who is in the right? Well, I stand by my belief that Google did directly rip off of a lot of core software technologies in iPhone. That said, Apple is violating the spirit of competition with this lawsuit.

I think poor Samsung is the real loser here though.

And what "core software technologies" would you be talking about?

these are the features that were listed
1. A means of detecting and marking up data like a phone number or an e-mail address, and then initiating a phone call or an e-mail when the linked data is clicked
2. A means of searching multiple databases and sources for data.
3. A slide to unlock feature.
4. An autocorrect-type function that completes the word as a user types and allows the user to accept or reject the word.

One of the main patent requirements is called the 'nonobviousness requirement'
That means that these features shouldn't be concepts and techniques that are taught at every introductory computer-science course.

Apple won this injunction because they held these patents, but the problem is that they shouldn't have been able to get these patents in the first place.

coolbreeze
Jun 29, 2012, 09:40 PM
This! Thank you! Everyone keeps talking about "competition" this and that- taking someone's patents is not fair competition! That's cheating and it destroys innovation by removing the incentive to innovate.

Um, Apple stole more than a few ideas along the way...which served as the building blocks for their present-day success.

My pull-down notification shade on my 4S looks awfully similar to the one on my GNEX. Awfully.

kiljoy616
Jun 29, 2012, 09:42 PM

Making hardware that looks nothing like your hardware when your going after the software. Well HTC does the same as every other Android phone.

That said Samsung is probably what scares Apple's executives considering they where partners so I can see as human as they are they hold a grudge.

Will be interesting to see what happens and how long it last.

roxxette
Jun 29, 2012, 09:42 PM

Now these is stupid (not to you andy) why when someone points out something "bad" about apple or iDevice they need to point out that they have one in order for the post to be "approved" :eek:

Macant
Jun 29, 2012, 09:43 PM
I would like to know what four programs Google stole that is causing this suit. And if its four pieces of software built into Android why isnt every single Android device part of this lawsuit? Regardless I will be thinking long and hard before I purchase another product from Apple.

adder7712
Jun 29, 2012, 09:44 PM

How do you innovate on something so fundamental like parsing an e-mail address or phone numbers as links? :confused:

polbit
If anybody thinks this is good for anybody but Apple, Inc. shareholders, they are delusional. What will it take to stop this idiocy...

Peace
Making hardware that looks nothing like your hardware when your going after the software. Well HTC does the same as every other Android phone.

That said Samsung is probably what scares Apple's executives considering they where partners so I can see as human as they are they hold a grudge.

Will be interesting to see what happens and how long it last.

It will last as long as samsung refuses to license under FRAND terms.

griz

They can't just let it go. If they don't continue to protect their IP, they lose all claim to it. You think Samsung phones looks like the iPhone now? If they just let this go, everyone would be copying it and there would be nothing Apple could do about it.

LaDirection
Problem is Steve Jobs was wrong. These patents, and their enforcement, are completely ridiculous.

They stole iOS, how was he wrong? Look at Windows phone, it's not an iOS rip off. Its possible to do something without stealing the ideas of people who worked hard and invested huge amounts of money in it.

Apple will win these lawsuits, Google and Samsung will have to pay damages which, guess what, they shouldn't have because even if it had been THEIR ideas to would have spent it creating and developing the products.

2IS
Jun 29, 2012, 09:46 PM
And you know this how ?

Becasue I don't share the collective thought that apple can do no wrong and know that this phone is about as different from an iPhone that a touch screen smartphone can get.

Peace
Jun 29, 2012, 09:47 PM
Becasue I don't share the collective thought that apple can do no wrong and know that this phone is about as different from an iPhone that a touch screen smartphone can get.

You really should read the article again then. ;)

Icaras
Jun 29, 2012, 09:48 PM

No, by forcing the competition to come out with fresher ideas in design to distinguish themselves separately from other electronic devices, hence increasing consumer product awareness of said devices, and in turn, increasing competition.

nickn
Jun 29, 2012, 09:49 PM
Samsung should "block" sales of the iPhone... Really, if Samsung quit making iPhone components today, what would Apple do? Sales would plummet on the very hard to supply iPhone, and the new iPhone would be delayed for months while a new supplier is found and production is restarted... Considering the Galaxy S3 is already extremely popular, and is a viable iPhone killer, I have to wonder why Samsung keeps supplying the enemy..

colour
Jun 29, 2012, 09:51 PM
Sigh... this is getting old, apple strategy is to block other companies from trying to compete because they know that they are strong competitors ..... it's pathetic.

They are scared of competition, If they released more phones more often they wont have to waste their time with these lows. Android market has a larger market share, if it wasn't samsung it would be the next big company and then the next one after that. What exactly is the injunction for ? what did samsung exactly copy ? Can someone link me with the details of this saga ?

AppleScruff1
Jun 29, 2012, 09:52 PM
Someday this may come back to haunt them. Remember, the higher the top, the longer the drop.

coolbreeze
Jun 29, 2012, 09:53 PM
Now these is stupid (not to you andy) why when someone points out something "bad" about apple or iDevice they need to point out that they have one in order for the post to be "approved" :eek:

Well if people don't quickly state that they own an Apple product, they are set on fire and thrown off a cliff and ridiculed for being a troll/fanboy.

I own several Apple products and am not happy with their angry litigious reactions to all things competition.

ganymedes13

From what I know (which isn't much) it has to do with unified search and not just having something like Siri.

Apple sees Google's OS and $349 unlocked price and sues everything in sight. They see a major threat and go for the jugular legal-wise. Psst: it's called competition.

Sigh. Apple seems to want nobody to push them with competing products.

Essentially, the iPhone really does cost the same but Apple gets a $200 subsidy from the carriers which no in the industry gets.

If what Apple says is true (that they want others to create their own tech) then there's nothing wrong with that. I just don't know if it's true or not. What I get from them is that they feel betrayed by Google and they want blood.

I would like to know what four programs Google stole that is causing this suit.

-slide to unlock
-data linking
-autocorrect
-unified search (a al Siri)

Peace
Sigh... this is getting old, apple strategy is to block other companies from trying to compete because they know that they are strong competitors ..... it's pathetic.

They are scared of competition, If they released more phones more often they wont have to waste their time with these lows. Android market has a larger market share, if it wasn't samsung it would be the next big company and then the next one after that. What exactly is the injunction for ? what did samsung exactly copy ? Can someone link me with the details of this saga ?

Here ya go. Just follow the links and read.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1396398

DVD9
Jun 29, 2012, 09:55 PM
One day, what comes around goes around. A modern smartphone involves over 200,000 patents, and you would be naive that Apple doesn't infringe any one of them.

I know Apple owns the media in this country and now it appears they own the courts as well.

--
Sent from my 7" Galaxy Tab2 before the bought Federal judge could stop me.

andyx3x
Um, Apple stole more than a few ideas along the way...which served as the building blocks for their present-day success.

My pull-down notification shade on my 4S looks awfully similar to the one on my GNEX. Awfully.

This.

Don't forget that Samsung holds like 12 patents on LTE. If I were them, I'd go after Apple and keep them from making an LTE iPhone.

LagFighter

That means that these features shouldn't be concepts and techniques that are taught at every introductory computer-science course.

Apple won this injunction because they held these patents, but the problem is that they shouldn't have been able to get these patents in the first place.

You must be taking some pretty advanced computer science courses. I wish my introductory courses taught me how to invent capacitive multi-touch paradigms.

KanosWRX
Jun 29, 2012, 09:56 PM
It's interesting even on an apple forum the majority of people see the idiocracy of what Apple is doing. If apple really wanted to beat Samsung and google they need to spend those millions on R&D instead of their lawyers. All of these lawsuits on stupid everyday common software uses like these should have been tossed in the patent offices trash can the day they came in. Apple takes two steps backwards and their competition keeps marching forward. Apple lost their way.

GeeEllBee
Jun 29, 2012, 09:58 PM
I am on Apple's side. IP infringement simply has to stop. Apple has flexed a lot of R&D muscle, intellectual and financial, not to mention energy and time, to then have someone else copycat Apple's accomplishments and profit from them. Perhaps even more glaringly obvious than the Galaxy Nexus is the new Nexus 7 tablet which more closely resembles the iPad and iPhone than the Galaxy. Don't know about the Nexus 7 software but the design is piggybacking on Apple. We shall see.

rman726
Jun 29, 2012, 09:59 PM
Samsung should "block" sales of the iPhone... Really, if Samsung quit making iPhone components today, what would Apple do? Sales would plummet on the very hard to supply iPhone, and the new iPhone would be delayed for months while a new supplier is found and production is restarted... Considering the Galaxy S3 is already extremely popular, and is a viable iPhone killer, I have to wonder why Samsung keeps supplying the enemy..

Because Apple likely has a contract with Samsung to provide these parts. They probably extend the contracts well before the current contracts expire, so if Samsung decided to supply them, they would go and make Samsung's competitors like TSMC, LG, Sharp, etc a whole lot of money. Hell, if TSMC were to land a massive contract with Apple, they could potentially surpass Samsung in the semiconductor industry with the massive boost in revenue. That is not something Samsung is likely to gamble on considering the fact that they are making a hell of a lot of money off of selling to Apple. Notice how Samsung built a factory in Texas for the sole purpose of creating Apple processors. That should tell you all you need to know about how much money Samsung is making off the deal if they are spending hundreds of millions in overhead to increase their capability of producing Apple parts.

astr0

Apple would have very carefully constructed their supply contracts with manufacturers like Samsung. Ie. if Samsung fails to deliver the components they need, they would be liable for a huge amount of compensation. You can't just decide to exit a contract like that without consequences.

Dangerous Theory
$92m holy ****! That is an insane amount of money to gamble, for such petty patents that really aren't terribly innovative and shouldn't even be private. "slide to unlock" for instance... There's a line, Apple. You don't always play by the rules, either.

Swift

It's not competition to infringe on patents. It's the reverse. If the second and third into the market feel free to steal what the initiator did, then there's no reason to innovate.

KanosWRX
Jun 29, 2012, 10:00 PM
You must be taking some pretty advanced computer science courses. I wish my introductory courses taught me how to invent capacitive multi-touch paradigms.

Using something to slide an icon to do something else is an intro to CS thing. I did that in Visual Basic in high school. Granted it was with a mouse, same thing though, an input device is an input device, mouse or finger. That's why these patents need to be thrown out.

azure247
Jun 29, 2012, 10:00 PM
Wow Apple is a douche

rman726
Jun 29, 2012, 10:01 PM
This.

Don't forget that Samsung holds like 12 patents on LTE. If I were them, I'd go after Apple and keep them from making an LTE iPhone.

LTE is also part of the 3GPP standard. Meaning most, if not all, of them are probably FRAND.

yeah
Jun 29, 2012, 10:01 PM
I would like to know what four programs Google stole that is causing this suit. And if its four pieces of software built into Android why isnt every single Android device part of this lawsuit? Regardless I will be thinking long and hard before I purchase another product from Apple.

long and hard ;)

Swift
Jun 29, 2012, 10:03 PM
This.

But there's a difference. If a patent is held in what gets adopted as a standard, like LTE or 3G, they get some royalties from each user of the patent, but they have to allow all comers to license it.

blackhand1001
Jun 29, 2012, 10:04 PM
From what I know (which isn't much) it has to do with unified search and not just having something like Siri.

Essentially, the iPhone really does cost the same but Apple gets a $200 subsidy from the carriers which no in the industry gets.

If what Apple says is true (that they want others to create their own tech) then there's nothing wrong with that. I just don't know if it's true or not. What I get from them is that they feel betrayed by Google and they want blood.

-slide to unlock
-data linking
-autocorrect
-unified search (a al Siri)

All four of those things have prior examples to apple filing them. This is absolutely ridiculous, I serious am about to start smashing the piece of crap broken g5 I have sitting in my room that stopped working.

Peace
Does anybody here understand what FRAND is ?

:confused:

ufwa

Most companies are smart they have contracts that require huge penalties should someone try to break it.

Plus Samsung's many groups operate more or less independent of one another. The semiconductor groups job is to bring as much money as possible. They don't care if it happens to be competitor to the mobile group.

Carbonic
Jun 29, 2012, 10:05 PM
Awesome Apple! You scared of the competition? :rolleyes:

The RIDICULOUS fanboys on here always make me laugh.

JS82712
Jun 29, 2012, 10:06 PM
This.

nice try, LTE patents are standard essential patents, if samsung goes after apple with those, then they are simply digging their own grave. :rolleyes:

Taz Mangus
Apple was just cleared of one of the Samsung alleged infringements. Not looking good for Samsung at this point. I think this now gets the attention of all the Android manufacturers and Google. Android is turning into a big bag of hurt for everyone.

http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/06/federal-judge-clears-apple-of.html

sshhoott
Alternative Title: "The Samsung Galaxy Nexus will now be selling under the table" or "Android Market to be followed by Android Black Market"

PM Harold Saxon
Jun 29, 2012, 10:07 PM
Google deserve this.

You do know that Eric Schmidt was elected to Apple's board of directors back in August 28, 2006?

On August 3, 2009, it was announced that Schmidt would resign from the board of directors at Apple due to conflicts of interest amid the growing competition between Google and Apple.

He also worked on Android during the time he was part of Apple's Board of Directors. For him to be sitting in the Board of Directors for Apple and to be making an OS that resembled iOS a fair bit sounds very suspicious.

Whether or not he stole Apple's ideas during that time to make Android... You decide.

coldmack
Jun 29, 2012, 10:08 PM
They stole iOS, how was he wrong? Look at Windows phone, it's not an iOS rip off. Its possible to do something without stealing the ideas of people who worked hard and invested huge amounts of money in it.
Those WM phones don't have a market share that is significant any more, nor is it really a threat to Apple's market shares. So, those phone maybe infringing on something, but their really not on Apple's radar because of their position in the market.

Swift
Jun 29, 2012, 10:10 PM
It's interesting even on an apple forum the majority of people see the idiocracy of what Apple is doing. If apple really wanted to beat Samsung and google they need to spend those millions on R&D instead of their lawyers. All of these lawsuits on stupid everyday common software uses like these should have been tossed in the patent offices trash can the day they came in. Apple takes two steps backwards and their competition keeps marching forward. Apple lost their way.

Well, here's one denizen of this Apple forum who doesn't mind this. I remember the '80s, and what happened to the Mac. Jobs vowed it wouldn't happen again.

Notice, no suits against Windows Phone 7. It's ***different,*** and it doesn't infringe. Android, however, and all the little baby Androids, do. To judges. Real live judges who have the power and know the law.

You can go back for a long way in American law, and most often the original developers get screwed. Major Armstrong invented FM radio, and in fact, patented a system that was much better than the one that NBC's David Sarnoff got his engineers to develop. Guess which system he deployed. Armstrong filed suit, but he was small and the head of NBC was big. Armstrong eventually was near winning, but NBC's lawyers had delayed him so long that his chance was gone. He committed suicide.

The only difference with Apple is that this time, they have the lawyers and the money to spend.

Taz Mangus
Jun 29, 2012, 10:11 PM
Awesome Apple! You scared of the competition? :rolleyes:

The RIDICULOUS fanboys on here always make me laugh.

You do realize that the Nexus phone has an injuction against it as it can't be sold in the US. You don't think that would scare the competition if they are prevented from selling a product.

flyguy206
Jun 29, 2012, 10:12 PM
Apple is a business not your best friend they do what is best for Thier pockets. Only people that really care about this crap are not the ones apple cares about

cotak
Jun 29, 2012, 10:14 PM

Yeah wait till the only smart phone you can buy in America is an iPhone. Then you'll realize what justice feels like when it doubles in price.

rdlink
Jun 29, 2012, 10:14 PM
How do you innovate on something so fundamental like parsing an e-mail address or phone numbers as links? :confused:

Any chance you might accept the fact that maybe you DON'T innovate on it? If Apple invented and patented it, maybe they should be the only ones who get to use it...

Before the iPhone, how many phones (including BB) could do this?

huntercr
Jun 29, 2012, 10:17 PM

Why do you say that? I really want to know. I don't think Apple should stop until ALL of samsung's Galaxy series is banned.

If there was no iPhone there wouldn't even *BE* these devices.

What should Apple have done? Nothing? Samsung has to be compelled to settle/pay/etc in some meaningful way. As it stands they already are getting out of suffering the most damage because the injunction has taken so long, the have moved on to other products.

The good news is that if the cases are won for these 2 products, they'll be able to leverage the judgment very strongly to sue for the newer versions of these same products. ( though more likely, Apple will just prefer licensing payments, future bulk order contract discount or samsung patent licensing )

If you can't protect intellectual property so clearly violated as this, what can you enforce?

JS82712
Jun 29, 2012, 10:17 PM
Due to the rise in popularity of smartphones in recent years, many people begin to take features, big or small, for granted. Yet if you take a step back, and look at the past, many things were never done before the iPhone came out.

blackhand1001
Jun 29, 2012, 10:18 PM

Exactly, Steve jobs was just an extremely good used car salesman. He didn't innovate. The engineers did all the work. The whole being involved with all the decisions was all putting on a show. Thats what he did good. Convince people that he invented all these things.

Taz Mangus
Jun 29, 2012, 10:18 PM
Well, here's one denizen of this Apple forum who doesn't mind this. I remember the '80s, and what happened to the Mac. Jobs vowed it wouldn't happen again.

Notice, no suits against Windows Phone 7. It's ***different,*** and it doesn't infringe. Android, however, and all the little baby Androids, do. To judges. Real live judges who have the power and know the law.

You can go back for a long way in American law, and most often the original developers get screwed. Major Armstrong invented FM radio, and in fact, patented a system that was much better than the one that NBC's David Sarnoff got his engineers to develop. Guess which system he deployed. Armstrong filed suit, but he was small and the head of NBC was big. Armstrong eventually was near winning, but NBC's lawyers had delayed him so long that his chance was gone. He committed suicide.

The only difference with Apple is that this time, they have the lawyers and the money to spend.

What I find most interesting that for instance Sony managed to make a tablet that is completely different looking then the iPad. Microsoft manages to make a OS that is completely different looking then iOS. Yes it is possible to design and build a OS and a tablet/phone that are unique looking with regard to their competition. This seems to be lost on a lot of people.

charlituna
Jun 29, 2012, 10:19 PM

the USPTO and the courts don't agree with you.

flyguy206
Jun 29, 2012, 10:20 PM
Yeah wait till the only smart phone you can buy in America is an iPhone. Then you'll realize what justice feels like when it doubles in price.

So if I steal your car sell it and make a profit you would be ok with it?

charlituna
Jun 29, 2012, 10:20 PM

No justice here, that phone looks nothing like an iPhone

Not every patent is about look and feel.

ufwa
Jun 29, 2012, 10:21 PM
nice try, LTE patents are standard essential patents, if samsung goes after apple with those, then they are simply digging their own grave. :rolleyes:

You're assuming Samsung pledge the patents they have on LTE to be used as part of the standard.

Merely have patents pertaining to a standard does not automatically make it a standard essential patent.

coolbreeze
Jun 29, 2012, 10:21 PM

If there was no Model-T there wouldn't even *BE* Hondas.
If there was no Wright Brothers flight there wouldn't even *BE* Boeing Airplanes.

I get where you are going, but seriously, the iPhone set the stage for modern smartphones. That means others will improve upon it. That's just the way things are.

Apple doesn't own the smartphone, and they certainly don't beat Google at search (which is one of the four complaints).

charlituna
Jun 29, 2012, 10:23 PM

Because Google lets OEMs tinker with the software. If these parts were not things that Samsung included but were part of Android they would have filed to dismiss on that grounds

----------

That said, Apple is violating the spirit of competition with this lawsuit.

The spirit of competition is also that you play fair. Which is why folks are supposed to innovate, not duplicate. Why being a monopoly because you are the best is fine but if you cheat your way there or abuse the power you gain, you will be smacked for it. Etc.

adder7712
Jun 29, 2012, 10:23 PM
Any chance you might accept the fact that maybe you DON'T innovate on it? If Apple invented and patented it, maybe they should be the only ones who get to use it...

My 2007 Sony Ericsson feature phone can.

cgk.emu
Jun 29, 2012, 10:24 PM
Comments for Android = negative ratings

Comments for Apple = negative ratings

WTF MacRumors users? So, what is your opinion?? So very confusing. Fanboys on both sides will be fanboys I guess.

Annnnnd cue the downvotes for pointing out the absolute ridiculousness on both sides!:confused:

I see it has already begun. Okay, try getting a real life.

uknowimright
Jun 29, 2012, 10:26 PM
is this judge a moron? or know anything about technology?

blackhand1001
Jun 29, 2012, 10:26 PM
Because Google lets OEMs tinker with the software. If these parts were not things that Samsung included but were part of Android they would have filed to dismiss on that grounds

----------

The spirit of competition is also that you play fair. Which is why folks are supposed to innovate, not duplicate. Why being a monopoly because you are the best is fine but if you cheat your way there or abuse the power you gain, you will be smacked for it. Etc.

You do realize that this is a nexus device right. Samsung doesn't build the software. Google does.

charlituna
Jun 29, 2012, 10:27 PM
This.

Cant. those are FRAND patents and there are laws to keep holders from refusing to license them

DakotaGuy
Jun 29, 2012, 10:29 PM
Honestly though who wins the most on this one getting pulled from the shelves? I'd say Motorola does. If people want an Android device on Verizon and one that is either running ICS or will be running ICS in a few days they will just pick up a RAZR or RAZR MAXX. Now Apple might pick up a few iPhone sales over the temporary decision, but I bet a lot of default sales will head in Motorola's direction.

davidcmc
Jun 29, 2012, 10:30 PM
So how the **** is Apple still selling iPhones after:
the Notification Menu (by pulling status bar);
wireless sync in iOS 5;
putting a quick camera access from lock screen;
OTA updates;
tabbed browsing?

Those are only some of Android's features that Apple ripped off.

I mean, do people here really believe that Apple is the only company that doesn't steal ideas from competitors?

Apple lost a huge market share, and it'll continue to loose more and more the more it continues with this ****** practice: being on the side of corrupt judges.

charlituna
Jun 29, 2012, 10:32 PM
You do realize that this is a nexus device right. Samsung doesn't build the software. Google does.

I realize that very much. I also realize and stated in my prior comment that the hardware companies are allowed by their license to make changes to the software. This is the reason why apps don't always work between hardware companies due to the changes made so that game you made and tested on your Nexus doesn't work on a Moto phone etc. It's also why when Android releases a new version you can't download it from them right off. Your hardware company needs to 'port' it to your particular version of Android.

this is what folks are talking about when they speak of fragmentation and having to develop as many as 200 versions of their software to cover all variants

andyx3x
Jun 29, 2012, 10:34 PM
Comments for Android = negative ratings

Comments for Apple = negative ratings

WTF MacRumors users? So, what is your opinion?? So very confusing. Fanboys on both sides will be fanboys I guess.

Annnnnd cue the downvotes for pointing out the absolute ridiculousness on both sides!:confused:

Yes, this is ridiculous. Many posters in this thread don't know the facts but just are pro Apple, so Apple must be right.

No, they are not right in this case.

Taz Mangus
Why do you say that? I really want to know. I don't think Apple should stop until ALL of samsung's Galaxy series is banned.

What should Apple have done? Nothing? Samsung has to be compelled to settle/pay/etc in some meaningful way. As it stands they already are getting out of suffering the most damage because the injunction has taken so long, the have moved on to other products.

The good news is that if the cases are won for these 2 products, they'll be able to leverage the judgment very strongly to sue for the newer versions of these same products. ( though more likely, Apple will just prefer licensing payments, future bulk order contract discount or samsung patent licensing )

If you can't protect intellectual property so clearly violated as this, what can you enforce?

I don't think Apple is interested in licensing except in the case of FRAND. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Set precedence and move up the ladder.

mbh
I know Apple owns the media in this country and now it appears they own the courts as well.

You're so right. This is why nobody reported on Antennagate, trouble at Foxconn, the new iPad running hotter than the iPad 2, or any of the other weekly sensationalist topics that reference Apple to garner more web impressions.

Good call.

andyx3x
I mean, do people here really believe that Apple is the only company that doesn't steal ideas from competitors?

This is absolutely correct.

PigSnowballer
Jun 29, 2012, 10:36 PM
"We have to let go of this notion that for Apple to win, Microsoft has to lose. We have to embrace a notion that for Apple to win, Apple has to do a really good job. And if others are going to help us that's great, because we need all the help we can get, and if we screw up and we don't do a good job, it's not somebody else's fault, it's our fault. " - Steve Jobs

I'm not even sure if Jobs actually meant it when he said that. Maybe it was a brief moment of enlightenment that was slowly eroded by his victim character.

cgk.emu
Jun 29, 2012, 10:37 PM
Yes, this is ridiculous. Many posters in this thread don't know the facts but just are pro Apple, so Apple must be right.

No, they are not right in this case.

I was more perplexed by the seemingly hypocritical posters who post one thing, then upvote another view point.

kenliles
Jun 29, 2012, 10:40 PM
No justice here, that phone looks nothing like an iPhone maybe the tablet did but this phone is a joke. I guess Apple is pissed at what happen before and Samsung not playing ball. But with billions to burn I can see Apple playing Microsofts game for years to come. :(

Although not what this injunction is about,
ALL smart phones today look like iPhones

----------

you're so right. This is why nobody reported on antennagate, trouble at foxconn, the new ipad running hotter than the ipad 2, or any of the other weekly sensationalist topics that reference apple to garner more web impressions.

Good call.

+1

DakotaGuy
Jun 29, 2012, 10:42 PM
Keep playing tough against Samsung and eventually Google is going to start pulling their patent arsenal out. They hold tons and tons of patents on mobile devices. Oh yes pop your popcorn because this fight is just getting started. :)

eagandale4114
Jun 29, 2012, 10:45 PM

The 9 million is loose change for apple.

wovel
Jun 29, 2012, 10:47 PM

All of you should at least read the story.

The Galaxy Nexus is an amazing device and Jelly Bean is a superb OS. Apple knows this and they are scrambling to eliminate competition.

Was filed quite a while ago...

Even if it did that is a Google made OS not a Samsung one. Apple is pulling a page out of Microsofts playbook, sue as long as possible and stifle competition or until they play ball. :eek:

Samsung sold the software.

These lawsuits are pathetic. If they post a $95 Million bond to block sales of a 9 month old phone soon to be replaced, I'll be so disappointed. Money that could've been spent on bettering their products used to block something that is soon to be outdated.

They will get it back when Samsung loses at trial.

You are clearly not a patent lawyer. You have not even read any of these patents.

Take down the big dog and the rest will be easy.

Your paragraph says Samsung should shoot themselves in the foot, trash a massive revenue stream, get sued for billions they will surely lose, and tank their stock price.

Sounds like a plan. You should be CEO of RIM.

--
Sent from my 7" Galaxy Tab2 before the bought Federal judge could stop me.

You just libelled a Federal Judge (twice). Is this something you do often?

All four of those things have prior examples to apple filing them. This is absolutely ridiculous, I serious am about to start smashing the piece of crap broken g5 I have sitting in my room that stopped working.

They do? Read the patents and the case transcripts and then come back with these prior examples.

If there was no Wright Brothers flight there wouldn't even *BE* Boeing Airplanes.

I get where you are going, but seriously, the iPhone set the stage for modern smartphones. That means others will improve upon it. That's just the way things are.

Apple doesn't own the smartphone, and they certainly don't beat Google at search (which is one of the four complaints).

Google never did any search on a device prior to the patent filing date of 2004. Read then post. That is the recurring theme.

flyguy206
Jun 29, 2012, 10:47 PM
Keep playing tough against Samsung and eventually Google is going to start pulling their patent arsenal out. They hold tons and tons of patents on mobile devices. Oh yes pop your popcorn because this fight is just getting started. :)

No they won't because they make good money with ios

fruitpunch.ben
Jun 29, 2012, 10:48 PM
is this judge a moron? or know anything about technology?

Right. Because a judge decides something you don't agree with he's a "moron who doesn't know anything about technology".

Must be warm up there with your head in the clouds

SactoGuy18
I think Apple better be VERY careful about this because they may be approaching the point the US government and European Commission antitrust authorities may start taking an interest, mostly because of the US v. United Shoe Machinery Company case precedent, where United Shoe was sued for abusing its patent portfolio on shoemaking machinery to keep out competing firms.

ethana

This patent dispute had nothing to do with the "look" of the phone. Did you even read the article?

TheMarc
Jun 29, 2012, 10:49 PM
Steve Jobs was quoted as saying: "We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas." And shameless for suing others when these steal their ideas afterwards, it seems.

Absolutely.
Of course Google (and companies who use Android, and other companies who use Apple-like ideas -Samsung) stole a lot of Apple "designs" and "functions" and "features". But Apple stole as well.
The question is then why shouldn't they be all allowed to do so, and what should be allowed to be patented?
Of course certain ideas can be patented, but they always (need to) end up being "copied" to stimulate competition (think of TVs). The inventors just need to be compensated adequately (which is what I believe FRAND is).

DakotaGuy
Jun 29, 2012, 10:51 PM
No they won't because they make good money with ios

I honestly don't think Google is going to roll over and play dead on this. Believe me if they were they would have never bought Motorola Mobility. Like I said Apple is just waking up the sleeping giant when it comes to mobile device patents. Expect these lawsuits to continue at full pace with no resolution.

In the end Apple may become known best as a litigator instead of an innovator. Time will tell.

nitemare
Jun 29, 2012, 10:51 PM
wireless sync in iOS 5;
OTA updates;
tabbed browsing?

Apple lost a huge market share, and it'll continue to loose more and more the more it continues with this ****** practice: being on the side of corrupt judges.

the Notification Menu (by pulling status bar)- apple hired Palm notification center designer for iOS notifications

wireless sync- was in dev before jailbreak app and apple hired jailbreak app dev

StealthGhost
Jun 29, 2012, 10:52 PM
You should only be happy about stories like this if you're a shareholder. If you're just a consumer of Apple products you should not like this. You should want Android to be amazing, because then Apple will be too (and vise versa for Android users). Jumping up and down ecstatic that the company you love is trying to beat the competition by ways other than innovating and making better products is just stupid if you're only a consumer. "Yay now Siri can become stale because they can block Android from having their own voice assistant!!" Really?

I'm not really blaming Apple for doing it, the patent/trademark process is stupid as can be and they're smart so they use it. The patent/trademark system is to blame here, but we really should not be applauding Apple unless you are an owner of shares in the company.

Renzatic
Jun 29, 2012, 10:53 PM
You do know that Eric Schmidt was elected to Apple's board of directors back in August 28, 2006?

On August 3, 2009, it was announced that Schmidt would resign from the board of directors at Apple due to conflicts of interest amid the growing competition between Google and Apple.

He also worked on Android during the time he was part of Apple's Board of Directors. For him to be sitting in the Board of Directors for Apple and to be making an OS that resembled iOS a fair bit sounds very suspicious.

Whether or not he stole Apple's ideas during that time to make Android... You decide.

If Schmidt used any of his insider knowledge to produce or benefit Android, Apple would've long since sued him.

ethana
Jun 29, 2012, 10:54 PM
I support Apple 100% in this specific lawsuit. The patent they hold is getting violated on and Samsung loses. Good for Apple for protecting themselves.

And before I hear the old Fandroid tried-and-true "but Apple copied the notification bar" line, I am talking about this specific case. If someone wants to sue Apple over the notification bar (or anything else), then go ahead!

But with this case specifically I support Apple.

lsvtecjohn3
wireless sync in iOS 5;
OTA updates;
tabbed browsing?

You think Andriod was the first to have ALL those features first LoL? Apple took things from every OS or from the jailbreak community.

Apple losing market share yet iOS makes the most money for Apple and it's developerers.

Peace
I think Apple better be VERY careful about this because they may be approaching the point the US government and European Commission antitrust authorities may start taking an interest, mostly because of the US v. United Shoe Machinery Company case precedent, where United Shoe was sued for abusing its patent portfolio on shoemaking machinery to keep out competing firms.

You are SO right !

Google/Motorola reportedly being investigated by the FTC for suspected FRAND abuse

http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/06/googlemotorola-reportedly-being.html

MACdaddy859
Jun 29, 2012, 10:59 PM
I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apples $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong.

Im going to destroy Android, because its a stolen product. Im willing to go thermonuclear war on this.

Puh lease

76ShovelHead
Jun 29, 2012, 11:01 PM

I couldn't agree more.

You know, despite what Apple would like you to believe, they were not the first, they are not the only, and they are definitely not the greatest hardware/software company in the world. This proves just how petty and anti-competitive they are.

After reading this, I am unsure I want to buy a new iPod to replace my aging 2g. The new Nexus 7 looks pretty nice. Provided they don't barr that from American citizens as well.

It's rather unfair that the consumer is the one being hurt the most out of Apple's stupid cries for injustice. I hope they lose all this bail :mad:

Lastly, I'd like rant that (and most of you probably already know this) Android is Linux. Linux is Open Source. Android is not stealing anything. There is nothing about my Android that is remotely similar to my iPod. In fact, hasn't Apple been the one to have taken ideas from Android? Notification center? Backgrounds?

Apple is a spoiled brat, and when they aren't "Hipster" anymore, they're going to pick up where they left off, in the classrooms and digital art fields.

MACdaddy859
Jun 29, 2012, 11:03 PM
It's not competition to infringe on patents. It's the reverse. If the second and third into the market feel free to steal what the initiator did, then there's no reason to innovate.

Uhhhh....I think the innovation is about to come to an end with these puny ios updates

----------

Apple is getting so lame. Smh

Matters30
Jun 29, 2012, 11:03 PM
:confused:What a ****ing joke....

maconservative
Jun 29, 2012, 11:04 PM

It will when Jelly Bean is released.

ethana
Jun 29, 2012, 11:05 PM
I couldn't agree more.

You know, despite what Apple would like you to believe, they were not the first, they are not the only, and they are definitely not the greatest hardware/software company in the world. This proves just how petty and anti-competitive they are.

After reading this, I am unsure I want to buy a new iPod to replace my aging 2g. The new Nexus 7 looks pretty nice. Provided they don't barr that from American citizens as well.

It's rather unfair that the consumer is the one being hurt the most out of Apple's stupid cries for injustice. I hope they lose all this bail :mad:

Lastly, I'd like rant that (and most of you probably already know this) Android is Linux. Linux is Open Source. Android is not stealing anything. There is nothing about my Android that is remotely similar to my iPod. In fact, hasn't Apple been the one to have taken ideas from Android? Notification center? Backgrounds?

Apple is a spoiled brat, and when they aren't "Hipster" anymore, they're going to pick up where they left off, in the classrooms and digital art fields.

What a crybaby. Fine, don't buy an iPod then.

But many judges in many countries have now sided with Apple, specifically over the Tab, but now also the Nexus. This isn't a fluke, or a conspiracy, or a fraud. It's REAL. An American judge agreed.

Get over yourself. Judges don't make these decisions because they love Apple. They make them because they follow the law.

Samsung copied, they lose. Good for Apple for protecting themselves. It's as simple as that.

Renzatic
Jun 29, 2012, 11:05 PM
And before I hear the old Fandroid tried-and-true "but Apple copied the notification bar" line, I am talking about this specific case. If someone wants to sue Apple over the notification bar (or anything else), then go ahead!

Give it time. The pull down notification menu is currently patent pending. If it passes, I'm sure everyone and their grandma will take Apple to task over it.

...and I'll think it's just as stupid as what Apple is currently suing Samsung over.

MACdaddy859
Jun 29, 2012, 11:06 PM

And ios is freaking stale compared to jelly bean

DakotaGuy
Jun 29, 2012, 11:07 PM
It will when Jelly Bean is released.

Maybe they should sue SpeakToIt over "Assistant" because they offer an app for Android (and iOS) that is very similar to Siri.

flyguy206
Jun 29, 2012, 11:07 PM
You should only be happy about stories like this if you're a shareholder. If you're just a consumer of Apple products you should not like this. You should want Android to be amazing, because then Apple will be too (and vise versa for Android users). Jumping up and down ecstatic that the company you love is trying to beat the competition by ways other than innovating and making better products is just stupid if you're only a consumer. "Yay now Siri can become stale because they can block Android from having their own voice assistant!!" Really?

I'm not really blaming Apple for doing it, the patent/trademark process is stupid as can be and they're smart so they use it. The patent/trademark system is to blame here, but we really should not be applauding Apple unless you are an owner of shares in the company.

No it will get them to Make Thier own ideas. Apple makes something google copies it and makes if free and people love it but nothing is really for free

Taz Mangus
Jun 29, 2012, 11:09 PM
You think Andriod was the first to have ALL those features first LoL? Apple took things from every OS or from the jailbreak community.

Apple losing market share yet iOS makes the most money for Apple and it's developerers.

And apparently Google makes more money from iOS then they do from Android. With iOS 6 Apple is going to start changing that though. This notion that market share somehow is the most important thing is amusing.

flyguy206
Jun 29, 2012, 11:09 PM
And ios is freaking stale compared to jelly bean

Typical android fanboy that spends more time on ios sites

jontech
Jun 29, 2012, 11:11 PM
I'm waiting for Jelly Sandwich

I read that is the real iOS killer

MACdaddy859
Jun 29, 2012, 11:13 PM
wireless sync in iOS 5;
OTA updates;
tabbed browsing?

I'm like seriously thinking about not buying a single Apple product again, for myself anyways

----------

Typical android fanboy that spends more time on ios sites

Dum dum. I use a 4S but giving my honest opinion after owning an htc one x and galaxy note. I only switched back to iMessage my daughter on her iPod and use emojis with my gf. Seriously.

menithings
Jun 29, 2012, 11:14 PM
One of my animators is from South Korea and she just told me she's embarrissed to be Korean. Seriously. She said Samsung is a huge and corrupt mega company who even make cars (only for Korea) and are run by a mafia family who's CEOs have been jailed but were quickly released because of their wealth and deep ties to government. She said she had first hand looks at Samsung's tablets when they first came out and was amazed by what Apple ripoffs they were. She said the Galaxy Tab she saw was basically an iPad, right down to the packaging.

She also said Samsung is relentless in their pursuit to be a monopoly and routinely break the law to get what they want.

It's no wonder Samsung has no problem stealing Apple's IP. They're basically crooks to begin with.

76ShovelHead
Jun 29, 2012, 11:14 PM

But many judges in many countries have now sided with Apple, specifically over the Tab, but now also the Nexus. This isn't a fluke, or a conspiracy, or a fraud. It's REAL. An American judge agreed.

Get over yourself. Judges don't make these decisions because they love Apple. They make them because they follow the law.

Samsung copied, they lose. Good for Apple for protecting themselves. It's as simple as that.

Excuse me,

Who's crying? Definitely not your self righteous a**.

This is all besides the point. I don't care what beef Apple has with Samsung. When it interferes with the general public like this is, that's when I get pissed.

Apple is just becoming too high and mighty.

nickn
Jun 29, 2012, 11:17 PM
Your paragraph says Samsung should shoot themselves in the foot, trash a massive revenue stream, get sued for billions they will surely lose, and tank their stock price.
Sounds like a plan. You should be CEO of RIM.

Well, I'm not a CEO, because as you said, I don't know how to run a company, but I don't think it would be too bad for Sammy. Assuming they could get out of any contracts first, eliminating the iPhone would mean Samsung could basically own the entire smartphone market. Even with the iPhone in play, the S3 has gotten around 10 million pre-oders, so there clearly is demand for the product. With no iPhone in play, and thus little real competition, the S3 would sell extremely well, as lets face it, most of the other Android offerings are stupid. If Samsung even took a slight profit loss for a few months on the flagship S3, such as by giving it away for free to consumers though carrier subsidies, literally everyone would be picking one up, and a two year contract to be stuck in... At the same time, Apple would be in a rut, with angry consumers, and no product to sell for months, killing their stock and thus company value. By the time they got back with a new iPhone to sell, many would have already picked and signed a contract for the cheap but excellent S3, meaning their customers would be gone...

blackhand1001
Jun 29, 2012, 11:24 PM

really, because I remember germany and australia eventually telling apple to take a hike and threw their cases out. Apple track record on patent suits is very poor. They've lost the like 99% of them.

Renzatic
Jun 29, 2012, 11:25 PM

Right, but just because a judge granted an injunction doesn't mean the patents in question are strong, unique, or even ultimately valid. It only means that there is enough proof that Samsung may have infringed upon Apple's IP. The next step is court, where they not only prove infringement, but the validity of the patents being disputed.

To use an example, we'll say Ford somehow managed to get a patent on locomotion granted. Chrysler releases a new car which so very obviously infringes upon this patent. Ford appeals for an injunction, and gets the okay.

So does that mean the patent is valid? That Ford owns locomotion? No. The judges only job here is to decide if Chrysler is likely to be infringing upon a registered patent. Which, in this case, they are. The next step from here is actual, honest to God real court, where both companies will argue the validity of the patent. Why it should be upheld, and the infringer forced to pay damages for using their idea, or why it should be considered untenable, null and void.

This last step, by the way, is where 99% of all software patents go to die.

Anti-Lucifer
Jun 29, 2012, 11:26 PM
One of my animators is from South Korea and she just told me she's embarrissed to be Korean. Seriously. She said Samsung is a huge and corrupt mega company who even make cars (only for Korea) and are run by a mafia family who's CEOs have been jailed but were quickly released because of their wealth and deep ties to government. She said she had first hand looks at Samsung's tablets when they first came out and was amazed by what Apple ripoffs they were. She said the Galaxy Tab she saw was basically an iPad, right down to the packaging.

She also said Samsung is relentless in their pursuit to be a monopoly and routinely break the law to get what they want.

It's no wonder Samsung has no problem stealing Apple's IP. They're basically crooks to begin with.

I have a few direct contacts who happen to work in the smartphone tech field and 100% true to what you have said here. Samsung is considered a huge corporation but innovation isn't one of them. THey are considered the microsoft of hardware back home and samsung does not like microsoft at all. This is from their experience working with other OEM partners who happen to be affiliated with Samsung as well. A lot of samsung products are pushed into the film and tv businesses and promoted more than any other products. It's worse than whoring because being a whore is honest business while samsung is just copying everything without any honesty about it.

user418
Good artists copy, great artists steal.

MACdaddy859

Nice story, you should get into fictional writing.

blow45
Jun 29, 2012, 11:28 PM
Apple the big effing bully, how about they start paying PROGRAMMERS instead of lawyers seeing as their desktop os is going to ****, with the most recent debacle that a gfx bug crashes the whole system in the new airs and the retina pro...

DakotaGuy
Jun 29, 2012, 11:30 PM

Oh believe me I don't have any love for Samsung and I would never have any product made by them in my house, but all these lawsuits are getting old and in the end makes Apple look like nothing more then a litigator. With that said, yes from what I have heard Samsung is one of the most corrupt companies in the world.

Rocketman
Jun 29, 2012, 11:31 PM
Doesn't Samsung get by most of the damage of the injunction by simply flooding the market before the injunction takes effect since it is an import restriction not a sale restriction (which never made sense to me).

Rocketman

flyguy206
Jun 29, 2012, 11:32 PM
I'm like seriously thinking about not buying a single Apple product again, for myself anyways

----------

Dum dum. I use a 4S but giving my honest opinion after owning an htc one x and galaxy note. I only switched back to iMessage my daughter on her iPod and use emojis with my gf. Seriously.

Do you not understand that apple is a business? You seem to be upset that apple is Doing what any company would do. It's crazy to me that people feel that just Because apple is doing good they should allow anyone to steal from them.

AlexH
Jun 29, 2012, 11:33 PM
It does in Jelly Bean...

Mr. Gates
Jun 29, 2012, 11:34 PM
Although not what this injunction is about,
ALL smart phones today look like iPhones

----------

+1

That's funny, I thought they all looked like Windows Mobile 6.5 :rolleyes::eek:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadgetmobile.com/media/2009/10/wm6-caps-13-sm.jpg

pacalis
Jun 29, 2012, 11:34 PM
So now Samsung sues on iPhone 5 release in October. So does Google/ Motorola. More people buy the Galaxy SIII and Microsoft comes up through the middle.

Not a good development for Apple or Google. Good for Samsung and Microsoft.

jontech
Jun 29, 2012, 11:35 PM
Korean culture doesn't view copying or ripping off like others in the world (similar to China and some other south Asian countries)

Example

http://www.stripes.com/news/south-korean-police-put-out-warning-over-fake-pro-sports-jerseys-1.93546

This was interesting

Likewise, counterfeit sports jerseys have flooded the market in much the same way as have knockoff designer clothes, watches and sunglasses.

Having lived there every third shop was a knockoff shop of Shoes, clothes, purses or sports gear, all out in the open, legally for sale. European, American and Japanese goods seemed to be the most popular of ripoffs

No Surprise their biggest company is doing the same. It never mattered till it happened outside Korea

jdawgnoonan
Jun 29, 2012, 11:38 PM
As I sit here and write this on my iPad, I find it very sad. Apparently any device with a touch capable screen and icons that launch programs is stealing from Apple.

I have been an Apple customer for years, but this probably is the beginning of the end of it. Competition makes iOS better. The galaxy nexus has very little in common with the iPhone.

This is merely a vendetta and it is stupid.

uknowimright
Jun 29, 2012, 11:39 PM
Right. Because a judge decides something you don't agree with he's a "moron who doesn't know anything about technology".

Must be warm up there with your head in the clouds

well you must be the moron since it's a she

noisycats
Jun 29, 2012, 11:40 PM

Image (http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadgetmobile.com/media/2009/10/wm6-caps-13-sm.jpg)

What the hell is that???

Is that pic serious?

pacalis
Jun 29, 2012, 11:42 PM

Yes there would have been.

And an interesting historical fact is that Ford was sued by Selden for infringing his road engine patent, to which many car manufacturers took license. But Ford wouldn't license and so Selden took out ads saying they would sue anyone who bought a Ford. And then Ford offered a guarantee against the suit. Ford initially lost, but won in appeals. http://www.bpmlegal.com/wselden.html

So your analogy is flawed unless you're trying to say that Apple will be crushed and the Galaxy SIII is a model T.

kenskid
Jun 29, 2012, 11:44 PM
Insecure my ass. Have you ever seen the crap you have to submit in order to register your design? Obviously there is enough "evidence" on file if this has gone this far.

Mr. Gates
Jun 29, 2012, 11:44 PM
What the hell is that???

Is that pic serious?

If you don't know your history may I suggest Wikipedia ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Mobile

Just saying. The layout is very similar. Who copied who ?

realeric
Jun 29, 2012, 11:47 PM
Finally. Judgement day !!! lol.

gorskiegangsta
Jun 29, 2012, 11:49 PM
Can't say I'm thrilled about this. Banning a competing product because of its physical resemblance to an iconic product like the iPhone is understandable because the argument is that customers are being "tricked" into buying an imitation. Using "blurry" software patents to do it is not good for the industry or the customers.

pacalis
Jun 29, 2012, 11:49 PM
Korean culture doesn't view copying or ripping off like others in the world (similar to China and some other south Asian countries)

This is also just racist nonsense. They probably feel less like they're ripping others off because they own the capital, the productive assets, the know how and their labor is manufacturing the damn stuff.

Meanwhile Apple is trying to play legal games so they can protect their markets to make the most amount of money for the least amount of work. And, no, you shouldn't blame them for this.

So this isn't a Chinese or Korean thing. The US did this with Europe through most of the 1750s-1880s until they finally started to come into their own with industrial R&D labs. This is standard far around shakeout and disruption and we should embrace it because, simply look at the technology that has been made available in the last 3 years alone.

colour
Jun 29, 2012, 11:53 PM
Here ya go. Just follow the links and read.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1396398

Hey bro have you clicked on those links.... they all link to the same stuff, and no that doesn't give me a clear outline of why there is an injunction?

All I saw Is design infringements, That's pathetic since apples industrial design has been "heavily influenced" from Braun and other great modernist products (that's been well documented). Again, if it wasn't samsung it will be the next in line and then next in line.... apple is scared :)

If apples products are amazing like the iphone 4 then they don't have to worry about stopping others from selling products, sadly its been a while since they have made a product that stood out that much and they result to this...

DakotaGuy
Jun 29, 2012, 11:54 PM
Using "blurry" software patents to do it is not good for the industry or the customers.

Isn't that about the same as "fuzzy" math? :)

AFDoc
Jun 29, 2012, 11:55 PM
I have been seeing a lot of information related to apple suing people. This seems like a pretty normal thing for them. I own several makers of phone including he Nexus and I really can't see any similarity in the software. I guess they are talking about the nuts and bolts of how it works which is way over my pay grade but I don't see how they can be upset. Oh well, iPhone 5 and SG3 here I come.

tqwcs
Jun 29, 2012, 11:59 PM

Apple has managed to have a bogus patent issued - the patent, as far as I can tell, covers any sort of "search-as-you-type" system. Any sort. The Firefox awesome bar, Android search (every Android device that exists), Google Instant, any webpage with javascript autocomplete... you're all violating Apple's patent. And if Apple can find judges as friendly as Ms. Koh, all of these products can be taken off the market indefinitely.

ethana
Jun 30, 2012, 12:17 AM
Apparently any device with a touch capable screen and icons that launch programs is stealing from Apple.

Another person who didn't read the article, doesn't know anything about the patents in question or the judgement, and yet thinks they know everything.

Come on people, education yourselves!

----------

really, because I remember germany and australia eventually telling apple to take a hike and threw their cases out. Apple track record on patent suits is very poor. They've lost the like 99% of them.

Actually Samsung was forced to make the 10.1N to comply with the ruling, remember?

Oh how easily we forget when it's convenient for us.

From FOSS Patents (http://www.fosspatents.com/):

"Apple is on an incredible winning streak these days against Android. Earlier this week, it won a preliminary injunction against the Galaxy Tab 10.1. Today it was also cleared, by summary judgment, of infringement of one of Samsung's patents-in-suit. And on Friday, it won, by an unusually wide margin, a battle over expert reports."

----------

When it interferes with the general public like this is, that's when I get pissed.

Blame Samsung, not Apple. If it weren't for Samsung infringing, this would have never happened, and you the public would be happy.

modemthug
Jun 30, 2012, 12:19 AM
The patents are overly broad; this would be like car companies suing one another because all cars are unlocked by turning a key, like "slide to unlock." I agree in many ways that Android is a blatant iOS copycat but Apple is going to keep pushing. I'm not sure why Samsung hasn't just said "ALRIGHT APPLE **** YOU THEN, WE'LL QUIT MANUFACTURING YOUR A4, A5 AND A5X." This is serious business and I thought we would see the end of it in the post-Jobs era. Apparently not. Makes you wonder if it was like his dying wish to Tim Cook or something.

John IV
Jun 30, 2012, 12:19 AM
So Android's software are named after sweets and OS X's are named after cats. Well, as we all know when you get a sweet and combine it with hair . . . you get angry cats. ;)

ichrisg30
Jun 30, 2012, 12:22 AM

iansilv
Jun 30, 2012, 12:27 AM
This.

FRAND anybody?

----------

Apple has managed to have a bogus patent issued - the patent, as far as I can tell, covers any sort of "search-as-you-type" system. Any sort. The Firefox awesome bar, Android search (every Android device that exists), Google Instant, any webpage with javascript autocomplete... you're all violating Apple's patent. And if Apple can find judges as friendly as Ms. Koh, all of these products can be taken off the market indefinitely.

What IP law firm do you work at?

1080p
Jun 30, 2012, 12:27 AM
The patents are overly broad; this would be like car companies suing one another because all cars are unlocked by turning a key, like "slide to unlock." I agree in many ways that Android is a blatant iOS copycat but Apple is going to keep pushing. I'm not sure why Samsung hasn't just said "ALRIGHT APPLE **** YOU THEN, WE'LL QUIT MANUFACTURING YOUR A4, A5 AND A5X." This is serious business and I thought we would see the end of it in the post-Jobs era. Apparently not. Makes you wonder if it was like his dying wish to Tim Cook or something.

Samsung makes more money building parts for Apple's devices than building their own devices and selling them.

abnorm
Jun 30, 2012, 12:40 AM
All Samsung has done since the beginning is copy other's ideas. No innovation whatsoever. I hope their factories burn to the ground.

menithings
Jun 30, 2012, 12:40 AM
Nice story, you should get into fictional writing.

Really?

Ok, please email me at meni@menithings.com. I can invite you to my studio where you can meet the animator in question. She is from South Korea and is awesome. Her credit is on my latest short film called "Exoids". The film will premiere at Comic Con but you can see the trailer at Exoids.com. Her credit is on that site.

Next time do your research before you open your trap and call someone a liar.

the8thark
Jun 30, 2012, 12:41 AM
Remember this?

http://i.imgur.com/qK46v.jpg

Sith Vol
Jun 30, 2012, 12:42 AM
So what does this mean? I couldn't order a Nexus online right now? Don't really understand this ordeal.

bloodycape
Jun 30, 2012, 12:47 AM
Google never did any search on a device prior to the patent filing date of 2004. Read then post. That is the recurring theme.
Google may have not at the time, but my old Palm, HP, Samsung windows mobile were able to. I even think my old Samsung also had a form of auto correct.

jdawgnoonan
Jun 30, 2012, 12:50 AM
Another person who didn't read the article, doesn't know anything about the patents in question or the judgement, and yet thinks they know everything.

Come on people, education yourselves!

----------

Actually Samsung was forced to make the 10.1N to comply with the ruling, remember?

Oh how easily we forget when it's convenient for us.

From FOSS Patents (http://www.fosspatents.com/):

"Apple is on an incredible winning streak these days against Android. Earlier this week, it won a preliminary injunction against the Galaxy Tab 10.1. Today it was also cleared, by summary judgment, of infringement of one of Samsung's patents-in-suit. And on Friday, it won, by an unusually wide margin, a battle over expert reports."

----------

Blame Samsung, not Apple. If it weren't for Samsung infringing, this would have never happened, and you the public would be happy.

So you really feel the need to be so agressive and rude on a blog? I did read the article, and I know that it is about the search. Guess what? I am using iOS beta 6 and it is the first version of the operating system that has search which even works correctly throughout the device. I have the right to be disappointed in Apple and I am. Apple has been going after these companies for ridiculous things and they should remember that if they appear to be too frivolous they might chase off developers.

I believe that Apple is scared. Windows Phone 8 and Android keep turning up the heat and all that Apple does is make small incremental changes and then they blow those incremental changes out of proportion at press releases.

dsass600
Jun 30, 2012, 12:53 AM
I don't understand why anyone here is happy about this. Pro Apple or not, this is hurting you lol. Less competition means less of a push to innovate and higher prices. Well, probably not higher prices but you get my point. This just hurts all consumers in the end, so I don't think anyone should be for the notion.

ufwa
Jun 30, 2012, 12:57 AM
FRAND anybody?[COLOR="#808080"]

FRAND only applies if Samsung or any company wanted their patents to be included to the development of a standard and such patents are subsequently consider essential.

If samsung never pledge LTE patents they hold to be used, they are not obligated to license them to anyone under any terms.

Peace
Jun 30, 2012, 12:57 AM

And your expertise in patents comes from where ?

Mackan
Jun 30, 2012, 12:58 AM
Judges don't make these decisions because they love Apple. They make them because they follow the law.

Feels more like they try to interpret the law. One judge may think Apple is right, another judge will not.

Sith Vol
Jun 30, 2012, 12:59 AM
So does this mean from Friday and on you can't buy a Nexus?

iMikeT
Jun 30, 2012, 12:59 AM

I'm going to have to disagree Apple killing competition here. How can someone who blatantly copies a product even be considered a competitor when they come to market with something that looks and acts almost exactly like the original?

If the product in question is an obvious knockoff of the original, then it should be taken off the market.

You said it yourself, Google did in fact rip off a lot from the iPhone and I agree with that.

Personally, when I of competition, I think of someone who can bring an original idea to the table rather than ripping off the original and calling the copy an original.

blackhand1001
Jun 30, 2012, 01:05 AM
All Samsung has done since the beginning is copy other's ideas. No innovation whatsoever. I hope their factories burn to the ground.

Oh so all the r&D they have put into lcd fabrication plants and cpu fabs is not innovation. Those things are 100 times more involved than anything Apple is doing. Not only that but they also make many other things for other industries.

richpjr
Jun 30, 2012, 01:06 AM
I don't understand why anyone here is happy about this. Pro Apple or not, this is hurting you lol. Less competition means less of a push to innovate and higher prices. Well, probably not higher prices but you get my point. This just hurts all consumers in the end, so I don't think anyone should be for the notion.

Bingo. Someone gets it. I am frankly sick to death of all these stupid suits and counter suits. It is a massive waste of everyone's time and money and we the customer, bear the cost (and I say this as a guy who owns many iPods, iPhones, iPads and various Macs).

jdawgnoonan
Jun 30, 2012, 01:07 AM
I'm going to have to disagree Apple killing competition here. How can someone who blatantly copies a product even be considered a competitor when they come to market with something that looks and acts almost exactly like the original?

If the product in question is an obvious knockoff of the original, then it should be taken off the market.

You said it yourself, Google did in fact rip off a lot from the iPhone and I agree with that.

Personally, when I of competition, I think of someone who can bring an original idea to the table rather than ripping off the original and calling the copy an original.

Have you ever touched a Galaxy Nexus?

Has Google copied and pasted Apple's code? I hate to tell you, but search boxes and icons that open programs on computers are nothing new. Just because a judge went along with it doesn't mean that Apple is not ridiculous or that the laws aren't flawed. More sensible countries don't even allow software patents (and stealing would require actually stealing the code...not writing new code that performs a similar action). If you have any programming experience at all you will see that this is bizarre. Every programmer on earth programs functionality that is universally similar to other functionality all of the time. Who has the patent on "A box displayed on a computer screen within which text can be typed?"

Here is a test you can run on iOS 5: Go to the search box and type the last 4 digits of your phone number. Does it find anything? Yeah, their search from first release through iOS 5 sucks.

I am thankful that no one was into patents and things like that when the Major Scale was invented or music would be completely different.

Masputo14
Jun 30, 2012, 01:12 AM

$95.7 Million bond to be exact. It's to cover the lost sales for Samsung if Apple was to lose this case. I think this is getting out of hand. iFan or PhanDroid, this isn't good for competition. :cool:

sziehr
Jun 30, 2012, 01:14 AM
So call me crazy but what apple is doing is needed all these people screaming stifling competition or go back to r&d need to really think about this a little closer. So Samsung who has invest exactly Zero dollars in many of the things that make the iPhone look like iPhone yet they decided to clone it try to skate and make a buck off apple. Apple has spent any where from zero to a billion dollars on this feature they deserve there protection and there profits. Samsung is freely allowed to innovate there was nothing stopping them from thinking out side the box like winmo 7 or Symbian like Nokia Instead they went with the easy way out and cloned apple down to icons. That stifles competion cause it is a clone phone it is not a new thing that will push apple or rim or msft to innovate it is just a leach product. The patents you can argue are not just cause it is a simple action I give you that but take it up with the us patent office not apple. If was apple I would sue the pants off google and Samsung and any one else who ripped me off to my face. This talk of anti competative just does not ring true to me. We are smart people but before the iPhone came out on Verizon I was showed a galaxy and told here it is the same as an iPhone and shown the drag to unlock the icons etc. I wonder where he the sales guy got that idea. I was not fooled but several people were while I was in the store. The guy did not say has similar feature said is just like the iPhone and the phone had many features to back up his claim. The droid did not nor did the lg but the Samsung did and it was selling well for them.

geniusj
Jun 30, 2012, 01:14 AM

I don't think you realize how terrible the tech industry would be if everyone was aggressive with and enforced their software patents. There's a software patent for just about *everything*. Software would become a very expensive and risky industry to enter, which would be an economic disaster and kill innovation. It's already bad enough as it is; we really don't need to be encouraging this behavior.

un10101
Jun 30, 2012, 01:16 AM
I'm not a fan of the Android OS, but I don't feel that this is hurting Apple any. Android is too buggy anyways.

geniusj
Jun 30, 2012, 01:21 AM
What I find most interesting that for instance Sony managed to make a tablet that is completely different looking then the iPad. Microsoft manages to make a OS that is completely different looking then iOS. Yes it is possible to design and build a OS and a tablet/phone that are unique looking with regard to their competition. This seems to be lost on a lot of people.

I'll point you to the iOS notification tray and iOS's dictation feature/UI as two examples of iOS taking from Android. Siri also duplicates a lot of functionality that Android already had. This stuff happens all the time and the industry is *better* for it. In the end, *we* win when this happens.

EDIT: To be clear: I'm OK with design patents. But that's not what we're dealing with in this case.

Renzatic
Remember this?

Yeah, that's something I said back in '64.

akbarali.ch

competition doesn't mean to sit wait and copy off someone: who (Apple) did all the RND work, brought the technology together, wrap in a nice software, invest huge amount of money, develop the hardware software package, goto the public and make them crazy to buy.

And when all is set and everyone knows what to do and how to do it, they start copying. Samsung, Sony, LG, Del,HTC etc etc etc. they are all capable of making better iPhone. They are not ready to take the risk Apple takes.

Study the risk involed in Macbook Air, Who can dare to release something like that, an inferior spec double the cost.

Study Macbook Pro Retina, Huge Risk,pro machine and no serviceable/replaceable parts, no one can attempt it, even after its success no company would dare it till another year or so. Not until they are confident that people will buy that kind of product.

Apples product have components made on earth available to anyone. So dare and make it, why for wait apple to take the risk and make it hit and then jump on the band wagon.

Look at Microsoft, they are struggling with their windows phone, they have worked so hard on it, its original not a copy of iPhone and they are trying their best. Its not easy. Copying is easy. And with all efforts, Windows phone 7 or 7.5 devices wont get windows 8.
iphone 3GS came with 3.0>4.0>5.0>6.0. A lot of work goes in there to make such things. Copying is easy!

I'm not against or for any company, I'm looking at the situation, Samsung is wrong here.

lilo777
Jun 30, 2012, 01:22 AM

Very uninformed opinion. Samsung spends on R&D about ten times more than Apple and they have many times more patents than Apple do.

GoodWatch
Jun 30, 2012, 01:23 AM

Please explain to me then why Apple does absolutely nothing to stop the even more blatant knockoffs (replicas) that can be found in every shop in Indonesia, China, etc. They are churned out and sold by the millions. Or is Samsung just a high profile and therefore easy target? :confused:

Peace
Jun 30, 2012, 01:29 AM
Please explain to me then why Apple does absolutely nothing to stop the even more blatant knockoffs (replicas) that can be found in every shop in Indonesia, China, etc. They are churned out and sold by the millions. Or is Samsung just a high profile and therefore easy target? :confused:

Ever been in a Chinese court ?

;)

Renzatic
Jun 30, 2012, 01:31 AM

;)

There was that one time, but I don't like talking about it.

serialtoon
Jun 30, 2012, 01:34 AM
I like how everyone is hating on Samsung when there is more Samsung in iPhones, iPads and iPods than any other component that is Apple made. Plus i bet a ton of you have Samsung RAM and Samsung HDTV's and love the crap out of them. Silly kids...

coldmack
Jun 30, 2012, 01:34 AM

As a true Mac head and person who thinks MS should be sent to jail for unleashing that heap of junk of an OS, I can mostly agree with this.

GoodWatch
Jun 30, 2012, 01:37 AM

;)

Exactly, too much of a challenge. Samsung is way more easy, with all them US judges. So it isn't about defending the holy grail of patents and IP but obliterating a competitor before he becomes too close. Yes, I know, Apple has all the right in the world to do this.

Bwilky
Jun 30, 2012, 01:43 AM
As much as I like Apple products, **** Apple and go make me a better phone.

ninethirty
Jun 30, 2012, 01:43 AM
By protecting what's theirs so others need to actually compete.

coldmack
Jun 30, 2012, 01:47 AM
I am sure if a WP Samsung device was selling well too, Apple would be going after them also for infringing on patents. It is Microsoftie after all, and Apple wants to be the new Microsoft.

AR999
Jun 30, 2012, 01:50 AM
Oh how I would so dearly love Samsung to be able to nail Apple with something like this and refuse to license the patent getting one of their flagship products pulled.

Urmom.com
Jun 30, 2012, 01:54 AM

Samsung makes more money off Apple than they ever could with their own phones. Think they should just drop that business huh? Guess that might be why you are commenting on macrumors and not running Samsung. And iPhone killer? Really? So it's just going to kill the iPhone is it. Wow.

----------

Feels more like they try to interpret the law. One judge may think Apple is right, another judge will not.

That is what judges do. Not everybody thinks the same. Haven't figured that one out yet have we?

ninethirty
Jun 30, 2012, 01:55 AM
Smashing the 'piece of crap broken g5' you have sitting in your room seems more than 'absolutely ridiculous'.

Not saying they're right, nor am I saying they're wrong, but the decisions to file against Samsung were likely made after much discussion by people far smarter than you or I on the subject of patent/IP infringement. Stop pretending you know better than judges and lawyers - let them sort it out.

About the only intelligent thing you could have done with that comment would have been to cite the prior examples. I'm interested..

Urmom.com
Jun 30, 2012, 02:02 AM

Oh? And how exactly do you go about pursuing knocks off in china and Indonesia? Just tell them to knock it off? Or else you'll say mean things and cry? Hard enough to pursue these things here let alone in countries that don't give a **** about knock offs.

entatlrg
Jun 30, 2012, 02:14 AM

Consumers have zero morals as evidenced numerous times here ... until you're put in that position were someone infringes on your patent you'll never get it.

If anyone of you Apple bashing nay-sayers ever have a patent you'll do EXACTLY the same thing.

It's sad how things aren't thought through and rationalized with fair play in mind, it's Apple's right to protect their brand. Why all the arm chair judgements, let the courts decide.

----------

Back up your judgements with cold hard facts please.

mentaluproar
Jun 30, 2012, 02:15 AM
This is ridiculous. I agree with Jobs' position that Android was stolen, but Jelly Bean and its Siri-like functionality are taking a different direction than iOS and Siri. Google's approach does more locally, making it effecient, whereas apple's is more adaptive, but only because it has serious computing power offsite.

My point is, google has their own unique implementation, and this will not confuse anyone into thinking this is an iPhone.

Let this one go. At this point, even their investors must be thinking "They aren't defending IP anymore, but instead having a pissing match and we are paying for this idiocy."

entatlrg
Jun 30, 2012, 02:19 AM
competition doesn't mean to sit wait and copy off someone: who (Apple) did all the RND work, brought the technology together, wrap in a nice software, invest huge amount of money, develop the hardware software package, goto the public and make them crazy to buy.

And when all is set and everyone knows what to do and how to do it, they start copying. Samsung, Sony, LG, Del,HTC etc etc etc. they are all capable of making better iPhone. They are not ready to take the risk Apple takes.

Study the risk involed in Macbook Air, Who can dare to release something like that, an inferior spec double the cost.

Study Macbook Pro Retina, Huge Risk,pro machine and no serviceable/replaceable parts, no one can attempt it, even after its success no company would dare it till another year or so. Not until they are confident that people will buy that kind of product.

Apples product have components made on earth available to anyone. So dare and make it, why for wait apple to take the risk and make it hit and then jump on the band wagon.

Look at Microsoft, they are struggling with their windows phone, they have worked so hard on it, its original not a copy of iPhone and they are trying their best. Its not easy. Copying is easy. And with all efforts, Windows phone 7 or 7.5 devices wont get windows 8.
iphone 3GS came with 3.0>4.0>5.0>6.0. A lot of work goes in there to make such things. Copying is easy!

I'm not against or for any company, I'm looking at the situation, Samsung is wrong here.

Very well said, at least someone gets it.

pink thing
Jun 30, 2012, 02:20 AM
It'll be interesting when Apple enter the television market. Let's see if they come up with something totally original. I mean, a TV set with a graphic interface that connects to the internet?...

Oletros
Jun 30, 2012, 02:27 AM
It is ironic that Apple has been granted an injunction with a patent that is not even from themselves and for a thing that Android had before the iPhone.

----------

This is ridiculous. I agree with Jobs' position that Android was stolen,

And exactly what was stolen?

MH01
Jun 30, 2012, 02:41 AM

Android is only on Samsung phones???..... Owww wait ...

waltercln
Jun 30, 2012, 02:41 AM
I Dont get how Samsung is wrong here when they Dont even make the software. This isn't about patents and you know it, this is strictly about stopping the competition. There are a slew of android devices that infringe on the same exact thing Apple is suing. But not every device is successful as the nexus, not every device is sold at a premium price off contract through the play store, and not every device is a competitor and as good as Samsung makes android. I've used a lumia 900 for a week and I can tell you that they also infringe, but their market share is like 3% so why bother? They aren't a threat that's why, guarantee you once wp picks up and starts (if ever) becoming a threat you will see apple flex. This is a ****** way to fight back, I figured ios6 would fight back hard but nope jelly bean takes that by more than a mile. Too busy coming up with lame android jokes for siri to repeat that they forgot how to innovate. Its really disappointing cause apple was pretty good, and even though I sold my iPhone I still have my iPad. But honestly I Dont see that lasting long enough, until apple actually goes back to its roots and starts changing things again, pun intended, that's when I'll give a damn. Right now the company has been a huge disappointment on the software and hardware front. Every dog has its day I guess.

MH01
Jun 30, 2012, 02:43 AM
I Dont get how Samsung is wrong here when they Dont even make the software. This isn't about patents and you know it, this is strictly about stopping the competition. There are a slew of android devices that infringe on the same exact thing Apple is suing. But not every device is successful as the nexus, not every device is sold at a premium price off contract through the play store, and not every device is a competitor and as good as Samsung makes android. I've used a lumia 900 for a week and I can tell you that they also infringe, but their market share is like 3% so why bother? They aren't a threat that's why, guarantee you once wp picks up and starts (if ever) becoming a threat you will see apple flex. This is a ****** way to fight back, I figured ios6 would fight back hard but nope jelly bean takes that by more than a mile. Too busy coming up with lame android jokes for siri to repeat that they forgot how to innovate. Its really disappointing cause apple was pretty good, and even though I sold my iPhone I still have my iPad. But honestly I Dont see that lasting long enough, until apple actually goes back to its roots and starts changing things again, pun intended, that's when I'll give a damn. Right now the company has been a huge disappointment on the software and hardware front. Every dog has its day I guess.

Samsung is just the one apple fears the most, in regards to products that compete against theirs .

waltercln
Jun 30, 2012, 02:47 AM
Samsung is just the one apple fears the most, in regards to products that compete against theirs .

Exactly, they make android a better experience enough so to sway people from an iPhone. I loved my iPhone until I tried the nexus, and although its lacking on many things, the phone does way more than I could ever do on my iPhone. I really love iOS but its just not on par, that's why I kept my iPad thus far, I simply need to have iOS and I'm deep into their ecosystem (another reason why iOS is better) their apps are beyond amazing.

ninethirty
Jun 30, 2012, 02:51 AM
I'm not taking anyone's side here, but what you're saying is missing the point. Nobody is seriously confusing a Galaxy Nexus product with an iPhone or iPad. They don't look the same the way the Galaxy Tab looked like an iPad, but when these features that Apple invented or patented (I don't know if they did first or didn't - this is based on their own assumption that they did) are implemented in a competitors product, that's a selling point for them. They can now say 'Hey - we make life easy as well, with X, Y, and Z'. I haven't seen a single Android product so far that's had near as much effort and thought put into it's industrial design as Apple applies to their products, so in effect, it's easier to make these products cheaper.

When cheaper products are introduced with the same features that Apple pioneered, it's possible that some folks will go for the cheaper product since 'it's the same anyway'.

I own mobile devices that run iOS (tablet and phone), Android (tablet and phone) and WP7 (phone). I find iOS easiest to use, and want to use it most. I think the design style of ICS is getting quite nice, and wish iOS would follow suit. I also think that Microsoft has tried to do with WP7 is really smart, but ultimately it was too big a risk, and it won't enjoy as much success, however, it's the only other OS that actually attempted to innovate on it's own. There's no denying the extreme similarities between iOS and Android. Microsoft proved it was possible to do otherwise, which is why suits like this can be valid.

Time will tell whether this was worth it for Apple or not, but if they were your inventions, and someone else just stole them, I'm quite sure you'd want to do the same. Apple has the means, so why not?

This is ridiculous. I agree with Jobs' position that Android was stolen, but Jelly Bean and its Siri-like functionality are taking a different direction than iOS and Siri. Google's approach does more locally, making it effecient, whereas apple's is more adaptive, but only because it has serious computing power offsite.

My point is, google has their own unique implementation, and this will not confuse anyone into thinking this is an iPhone.

Let this one go. At this point, even their investors must be thinking "They aren't defending IP anymore, but instead having a pissing match and we are paying for this idiocy."

BC2009
Jun 30, 2012, 02:56 AM
As a share holder I question the wisdom of risking $96M to block a phone that is 8 months old. If they lose the case then they lose that money. Though this could be a stepping stone to blocking the GS III in the USA which would be far more significant.

I fully believe that companies should come up with their own innovations. For things pertaining to standards, Apple has promised to donate patents in the past (even recently with nano SIMs -- though not sure what patents they really held, but they made the promise to fend off an accusation of Apple's proposed standard being self-serving). However, most of Apple's patents seem to be non-essential ease-of-use patents that they refuse to license (except with Microsoft and Nokia since they have broad cross-licensing agreements with them).

I think the cross-license deal with Microsoft has made a lot of sense. The fact that Google has not brought much to the table cross-licensing-wise seems odd to me. Apple is hardly a patent behemoth like IBM or Microsoft. Yet they don't seem to need any non-FRAND patents from Google, Motorola, Samsung, or HTC in order to operate. The only one that comes to mind is the Moto patent pertaining to iCoud push email in Germany (and nowhere else).

Anyway, I hope that Apple has a strategy for the GS III if they decide to post the bond. But if they are just going after the Galaxy Nexus then I think that ship has sailed.

BB.King
Jun 30, 2012, 03:02 AM
iphone 3GS came with 3.0>4.0>5.0>6.0. A lot of work goes in there to make such things.

You forgot to list all the features are not passing done to older devices. Look at iPhone 4, it will not be getting Siri or turn by turn direction in iOS6 even though it has iOS6 upgrade by name.

Personally I don't think Android will surfer much as the Nexus is a device mainly aimed at geeks. The average smartphone buyer walk in to phone shop cares very little about which version Android runs the phone. If Apple managed to get the Galaxy SIII banned, that will be a major impact on Android growth in the US.

Oletros
Jun 30, 2012, 03:03 AM
Redacted, why people talks about Siri patent when it has to do nothing with Siri?

Moccasin
Jun 30, 2012, 03:04 AM
In the 5 years that the iPhone has been on sale, how many similar lawsuits have there been against Apple? The odd one here and there granted - mostly outside the US.

That suggests to me that maybe, just maybe, Apple has employed its army of lawyers and engineers over the years to check what patents exist and licence those that they need. Yes the occasional one or two got through but in the main they have seemed quite safe. They clearly knew the risks of not doing so.

In other cases, they will have understood the patents and found ways to implement ideas in a different way that doesn't infringe them. In some cases they may fail, in which case the patent holder will still ask them to licence the relevant technology or threaten a court case.

Some may complain that Apple have copied ideas, but there have been few patent battles that I've heard about regarding these so-called infringements. No one can tell me that with all its success, Apple wouldn't have been sued if they had infringed a patent that someone had taken the trouble to file. So either such things haven't been patented or else Apple has worked around them. There's too much money at stake to assume Google et al have just said - particularly in the current climate - "hey you know what, Apple is a cool company. Let them take all our patented ideas for free. We don't need the money".

I don't begin to claim that I know everything about patent law in the US - or anywhere, Liverpool or Rome*, but the picture of patent battles in the US at least shows that, overall, Apple has done a good job of protecting itself from claims by competitors.

Finally, this isn't anything about stifling competition. Apple licence their technology all the time, as well as paying money to licence other companies' tech. As its not about the look and feel of the devices, Samsung could have licenced this tech if they so wished. Either they stole the idea or couldn't be bothered paying to licence, or they decided that it was worthwhile fighting in the courts to have the patent challenged. One thing is very likely though, it would not have got this far if it was just an honest oversight on Samsungs's part- they would have settled long ago if that had been the case.

* warning may contain random song lyrics.

SockRolid
Jun 30, 2012, 03:05 AM
[...]
The Galaxy Nexus has been Google's flagship device for showing off its Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" operating system since late last year, and was given away to attendees at this week's Google I/O conference as part of a package showing off the forthcoming Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean" update.
[...]

Could be worth a small fortune as a collectors' item.
In oh, maybe about 50 years or so.

(The phone, not Ice Cream Sandwich. ICS was worthless from day 1.)

Oletros
Jun 30, 2012, 03:10 AM
Anyway, I hope that Apple has a strategy for the GS III if they decide to post the bond. But if they are just going after the Galaxy Nexus then I think that ship has sailed.

Well, unified search box is in every Android device since 1.0 so it can apply to GSIII

BB.King
Jun 30, 2012, 03:14 AM
Well, unified search box is in every Android device since 1.0 so it can apply to GSIII

Consider Apple need to post bond almost $1 billion against the Nexus, the cost for the SIII have to be at lest 10 times larger, not sure it will be worth the gamble even with Apple's cash reserve.

mark28
Jun 30, 2012, 03:16 AM
Samsung Galaxy Nexus banned because of search box?

Oletros
Jun 30, 2012, 03:19 AM
Consider Apple need to post bond almost $1 billion against the Nexus, the cost for the SIII have to be at lest 10 times larger, not sure it will be worth the gamble even with Apple's cash reserve.

$96 million for Galaxy Nexus, not $1 billion

----------

Samsung Galaxy Nexus banned because of unlocking a Phone with your finger. Please.

It was not banned for slide to unlock

BB.King
Jun 30, 2012, 03:29 AM
$96 million for Galaxy Nexus, not $1 billion

I forgot you Americans consider 1,000 millions in a billion, I'm still thinking in old school UK system where 100 millions in a billion.

ARmfaiz
Jun 30, 2012, 03:31 AM
Oh damn. I need to buy Galaxy Nexus ASAP before they stop production. Cause it is hell a good phone :D

Oletros
I forgot you Americans consider 1,000 millions in a billion, I'm still thinking in old school UK system where 100 millions in a billion.

No, I'm Spanish and for my a billion is 1.000.000 millions :)

Jynto
Dammit Apple, please spend your money on something exciting. You've got so much money, you could really change the world with it. And instead you're spending it on lawyers! Stop this pointless war. No one can win this patent war apart from lawyers.

Moccasin
Jun 30, 2012, 03:32 AM

Even in the UK, I very rarely - if ever - hear 100 million expressed as 1 billion.

carmenodie
Jun 30, 2012, 03:33 AM

Yeah release more phones so they could play out faster. Great strategy man. To play that games means you'll end up with all types of unsold junk on he market and that would devalue your company some what.

Moccasin
Jun 30, 2012, 03:34 AM
Dammit Apple, please spend your money on something exciting. You've got so much money, you could really change the world with it. And instead you're spending it on lawyers! Stop this pointless war. No one can win this patent war apart from lawyers.

If a company doesn't protect it's patents, it might as well give up and go home.

mark28
Jun 30, 2012, 03:43 AM
If a company doesn't protect it's patents, it might as well give up and go home.

Problem is, Apple got patents that are ridiculous. A patent on searching multiple sources of information on a interface.

I'm curious what other search engine makers are going to say about this, especially Google.

Moccasin
Jun 30, 2012, 03:46 AM
Problem is, Apple got patents that are ridiculous. A patent on searching multiple sources of information on a interface.

I'm curious what other search engine makers are going to say about this, especially Google.

Don't other companies get a chance to challenge patents? The devil is presumably in the detail.

mark28
Jun 30, 2012, 03:56 AM

Apple didn't lost sales because of Android it's search engine. No consumer considers the search engine when buying a phone.

And Apple isn't the first with combining multiple sources of information. Most search engines do this, like Google. So this patent is non-sense.

It's hardly justice.

Sensation
Jun 30, 2012, 03:56 AM
Anyone know what the patents are that this supposedly breaks? Apple are a bit late again because the Samsung flagship phone is now the S3

supremedesigner
Jun 30, 2012, 03:58 AM
<snip>
I'm honestly considering selling my iPad and Macbook out of principle. I'm quickly losing respect for Apple's management. They are behaving like children. It's hard to support a company that quickly moves to stifle competition and innovation.
</snip>

Ok sell your iPad and MacBook to me for $30 bucks then you can buy yourself zombie phone all you want to. Samesung is behaving like a children, copying everything Apple has to offer.

Read the article again and stop being a whiner. :)

mark28
Jun 30, 2012, 04:04 AM
Anyone thinks it's too much of a coincidence that only in the USA such strange bans happen? Could it be due to that fact that Samsung is Korean company and Apple an American company?

Moccasin
Jun 30, 2012, 04:04 AM
Apple didn't lost sales because of Android it's search engine. No consumer considers the search engine when buying a phone.

And Apple isn't the first with combining multiple sources of information. Most search engines do this, like Google. So this patent is non-sense.

It's hardly justice.

The patent was approved. Samsung seemingly infringed it. I'm not aware of Google or others having challenged the patent in court.

On the face of it, seems strange that the patent was approved but as I say, the devil is in the detail. Presumably Samsung have infringed the patents where others have found a way to avoid doing so.

Oletros
Jun 30, 2012, 04:09 AM
Anyone know what the patents are that this supposedly breaks? Apple are a bit late again because the Samsung flagship phone is now the S3

This patent: 8,086,604 (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=8,086,604.PN.&OS=PN/8,086,604&RS=PN/8,086,604)

Sith Vol
Jun 30, 2012, 04:10 AM
When do you think the last day to be able to order this phone from Google would be?

colour
Jun 30, 2012, 04:14 AM
Yeah release more phones so they could play out faster. Great strategy man. To play that games means you'll end up with all types of unsold junk on he market and that would devalue your company some what.

Really? Cause Samsung is doing quite well :) Galaxy S2, Galaxy Note, Galaxy SIII and all the inbetween models for particular markets such in india, asia and europe who don't care so much for apple. HTC has a nice range of great phones also, all very good when released multiple times in the space that apple does so. Unsold junk I don't think you understand how their business strategy works.

akbarali.ch
Jun 30, 2012, 04:15 AM
You forgot to list all the features are not passing done to older devices. Look at iPhone 4, it will not be getting Siri or turn by turn direction in iOS6 even though it has iOS6 upgrade by name.

Personally I don't think Android will surfer much as the Nexus is a device mainly aimed at geeks. The average smartphone buyer walk in to phone shop cares very little about which version Android runs the phone. If Apple managed to get the Galaxy SIII banned, that will be a major impact on Android growth in the US.

Not all feature will go to the older devices, that's true, but they still get a lot. the core is updated with added APIs on which new apps will be built and be compatible. Look at 3GS and compare the features it came out with and the current features due to OS updates, i think they got much more than they asked for. I think its pretty much done. Nobody expected 3GS to get iOS6. its good.

Lindsford
Jun 30, 2012, 04:20 AM

----------

I'm like seriously thinking about how you type like a 12 year old. Dum dum!
Or is that vocab you've picked up from your daughter?:eek:

KnightWRX
Jun 30, 2012, 04:33 AM
Does anybody here understand what FRAND is ?

:confused:

Yes, and it has nothing to do with this topic.

Tsuchiya
Jun 30, 2012, 04:33 AM
Dick move Apple, dick move.

billystlyes
Jun 30, 2012, 04:34 AM
This is why I've started to hate Apple over the last two years. But Google should fire right back at them. Because Apple totally stole the drop down notification menu from Android. You can't deny it.

Thex1138
Jun 30, 2012, 04:52 AM
Of course it's not the hardware!
This is a strategic software patent win... It sets a precedent for all other android phones that implement the same features that the patents cover.
If Apple win at trial then they are more likely to gain injunction against other Android devices and force them to be modified... Thus differentiating them from iPhone.

----------

In the metric system 100 million require another 900 million to reach a billion... 8-)

KnightWRX
Jun 30, 2012, 04:52 AM
After reading this whole topic, I'm surprised everyone is talking as if Samsung and the Galaxy Nexus have been found to infringe the patents in question. People, this is a preliminary injunction, there has not been a ruling on whether anyone infringes anything at this point. This is what is frustrating. Go to court, both sides tell their stories, patents are affirmed/invalidated and when the dust settles and the ruling comes down, then issue injunctions for sale on infringing devices.

Placing sales ban on devices that "might or might not infringe" is what is insane here, no matter who is the plaintiff and who is the defendant.

Moccasin
Jun 30, 2012, 04:55 AM
This is why I've started to hate Apple over the last two years. But Google should fire right back at them. Because Apple totally stole the drop down notification menu from Android. You can't deny it.

Did Google patent it? If not, there's not an issue. If they did, I imagine that Apple have worked around the patent or licenced it. Would be too risky for Apple not to do so.

Thex1138
Jun 30, 2012, 04:58 AM
Consider the differences in litigation... Sammy and Moto-Google are litigating against Apple with patents they have committed under FRAND licensing to anyone in the market and are already receiving fees for... Apple are litigating for patents they have solely applied for and won. AKA the scroll bounce, the data highlighting on mobile device amongst the current GUI matters in court... Not to mention trade-dress litigation... No wonder the Gax-III looks so different than the others.

checkeredbob
Jun 30, 2012, 04:58 AM
1. A means of detecting and marking up data like a phone number or an e-mail address, and then initiating a phone call or an e-mail when the linked data is clicked
2. A means of searching multiple databases and sources for data.
3. A slide to unlock feature.
4. An autocorrect-type function that completes the word as a user types and allows the user to accept or reject the word.

I'm genuinely surprised that "A means of displaying a number pad for the purpose of enabling the user to enter, and dial a phone number" isn't in there.

Seriously, these are all common sense features.
1. Just a simplified way of copying/pasting the information into the appropriate app.
2. Google are a SEARCH company. Of course they're going to have advanced searching features. They'd be fools not to.
3. This may be one of the stronger cases but again, it is an obvious and simple way for users to unlock their phone.
4. Auto-correct....really? In this day and age that should be standard on almost any computing device.

I honestly can't see them winning this one. In my opinion they should be losing a few patents along with the court case.