Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
There's nothing new coming out from nVidia, nothing that would mean they would stop making the GF4Ti anyway.

As mentioned, you can get them through the Apple Store.

Does anyone know if you can use a PC GF4Ti in a Mac? I remember having to go through flashing a PC GF2MX... that was no fun...

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by Beej
There's nothing new coming out from nVidia, nothing that would mean they would stop making the GF4Ti anyway.

Not stop making the GF4... but In one week nVidia is officially announcing the NV30 at Comdex, which is supposedly twice as fast as the GF4Ti

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Really? When do you think a mac version would be shipping? Looking to possibly upgrade my GF4MX in my dual gig.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by Kid Red
Really? When do you think a mac version would be shipping? Looking to possibly upgrade my GF4MX in my dual gig.

Probably not until the next PowerMac upgrade, becasue it will use 8x AGP... which PowerMacs dont currently support.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Ahhh, so I won't be able to use it in my QS? If not, we are left in the dust with the ATI 9700 or whatever and the GFTi? Or will ATI release a card at I guess 4x APG?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Its my understanding the Radeon 9700 can be used in 4x AGP mobos with a slight performance decrease. I dont know if nVidia's new card will have the same ability or not

Scab Cake

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2001
I guess I was under the assumption that AGP cards stepped down to lower speeds in the first place. However, I remember reading somewhere that it's pointless to even go to 8x AGP because in most cases, 4x AGP isn't even taken advantage of. HyperTransport, or whatever the new I/O is gonna be called, will have to have something with the graphics bus.

Unfortunately, I don't have a shred of a memory as to where I was reading about this. Prolly Slashdot.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
A quick refresher on modern AGP cards

The only cards currently shipping that can even saturate a 2x AGP bus are the ATI9700 and the Nvidia G4Ti. These cards rarely fill a 4x AGP and if I remember right never actually saturate it. So there is no noticeable performance lose with say a ATI9700 8x AGP (this card being nearly twice as fast as a G4Ti) being used in a 4x AGP bus.

The current ATI9700 is an 8x AGP board but is backwards compatible to 4x AGP. I believe this is the standard for 8x AGP cards. Which means that the soon to be released NV30 will also be useable in a 4x AGP slot.

What the real kicker is, is that before the current 8x AGP bus is even used to it's potential it is most likely going to be replaced by PCI-X. It has already been talked about by both ATI and NVidia and it sounds like the next major revision to there cards will be for PCI-X. PCI-X should be shipping in upper end computers by next summer and by fall there should be new cards from ATI and NVidia both using PCI-X. Between now and then we should see updates to the NV30 and the current ATI9700 chipset.

The soon to be released NV30 will probably be released for PCs and Macs around the same time. This is due to Apples current partnership with NVidia. I expect around late December to mid January for a shipping date. This card is going to be extremely fast but shouldn't show a huge advantage over the currently shipping ATI9700. The big kicker is the ATI9700 is due a revision not long after the NV30 is shipped which will put it back on top as the current king of video cards.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Re: A quick refresher on modern AGP cards

Originally posted by MacBandit
The current ATI9700 is an 8x AGP board but is backwards compatible to 4x AGP. I believe this is the standard for 8x AGP cards. Which means that the soon to be released NV30 will also be useable in a 4x AGP slot.

Exactly, most motherboards still have "only" AGP 2x/4x. Very few (even a lot of "brand new" MBs) have AGP 8x. Most likely the cards will be 4x/8x. Though aren't the GF4 Ti cards 4x only? The high end nVidia cards won't even work in an AGP 2x slot? I doubt they'll go with 8x only, which as MacBandit said, will soon be replaced by something else. But you'll probably have to have at least a 4x AGP slot (which a QS Mac does have).

Look for new GF5s in new Macs in a couple of months.

Just don't hold your breath for G5s.

GetSome681

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2002
Just wait till DOOM3....it'll be saturated. I know this...I've played an extreme unfinished alpha copy, and the top of the line pc barely averaged 20 fps.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by GetSome681
Just wait till DOOM3....it'll be saturated. I know this...I've played an extreme unfinished alpha copy, and the top of the line pc barely averaged 20 fps.

The card will be maxed but the AGP bus will not be saturated. The first previews that John Carmack showed here a couple months ago with an ATI9700 where running very well and was very playable. I don't know the exact fps but I would guess around 100fps.

insidedanshead

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
I can't believe you all are already talking about a next revision of the 9700.. WE DONT EVEN HAVE THE 9700 on the mac yet... ugh it disgusts me.. and 400 for a geforce 4 ti .. apple get real.. i'm starting to get fed up with all this.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by insidedanshead
I can't believe you all are already talking about a next revision of the 9700.. WE DONT EVEN HAVE THE 9700 on the mac yet... ugh it disgusts me.. and 400 for a geforce 4 ti .. apple get real.. i'm starting to get fed up with all this.

Get over it we're just having a friendly discussion here. We realize this is long term and since this upgrade isn't one of necessity why buy now when you can wait until next year.

If you are really upset about the price of gaming graphics cards on the Mac I recommend getting a PC or a $200 game console.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.