Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Action

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2008
I'm having 2 issues with the headphone port on my new 2012 MBA:

1) There is a slight popping noise that occurs every 20-30 seconds or so at seemingly irregular intervals. It's incredibly annoying and occurs with either headphones or speakers plugged in.

2) When I plug in my logitech speakers, most of the time I only get sound out of 1 speaker and need to rotate the plug inside the jack until both speakers start working. I double checked these speakers with 2 other computers and neither had a problem, so that pretty much means the problem is with the jack itself.

I'm bringing this in to the Apple Store tomorrow, but I'm wondering: is it even worth getting it repaired at this point? Wouldn't the entire logic board need to be replaced?

I'm worried about exchanging this for a new MBA, because I currently have one with the Samsung display, and I'm worried about the replacement having an LG one and being stuck with a far inferior product. :(

tbl

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Not sure if the headphone jacks will require you to swap out the entire logic board (probably will though), but I’d say it’s definitely better to swap out the Air with “incredibly annoying” popping noises for one that could potentially have an LG display than to try and live with it.

IMO, you might be able to live with the LG display, especially considering all the profiles that are available, but that popping noise is just going to get under your skin and keep bothering you...

Action

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2008
I think I figured out what is causing the popping sound. I believe it is the sound card shutting off a few seconds after a sound is played.

I'm not sure what the deal with the logitech speakers is, but the problem only seems to occur with them and not any of my headphones.

Last edited:

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I'm worried about the replacement having an LG one and being stuck with a far inferior product. :(

Far inferior? This is why the interwebz sucks. The LG display is fine apple is not dumb. They don't put a crap display in a $1000+ laptop. Its like one of those rumors that gets spread so much everyone believes its true. :rolleyes:

Yes you will here a faint tick as the sound card cuts off. Its barely noticeable to me and I am using a pair of Ultimate Ears In-Ear Monitors. This is what apple would call "normal operation".

I have no experience with this, but give it a try; it just may work:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/29024/antipop

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I think I figured out what is causing the popping sound. I believe it is the sound card shutting off a few seconds after a sound is played.
Yes, I have noticed this sound on every MacBook since my first back in 2006. It's annoying. I guess it's a power saving measure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.