PDA

View Full Version : [tablets] Why the Nexus 7 isn't going to harm the iPad's sales.

gladoscc
Jun 30, 2012, 07:49 AM
Nexus 7. It has a Tegra 3 quad core processor, and an insane pricetag of $200. But it's not going to pose a threat to the iPad.

The Nexus 7 is really a different market compared to the iPad. Most of people who buy tablets falls into two groups - 'I want an iPad' and 'I want a tablet'. Those who can pay the price premium for the iPad will buy an iPad, regardless fo the competition. Others, those who don't plan on buying an iPad or already has an iPad will probably buy the Nexus 7.

BFizzzle
Jun 30, 2012, 07:50 AM
yeah if anything it will hurt the ipod touch sales ;)

Rodster
Jun 30, 2012, 07:57 AM
Nexus 7. It has a Tegra 3 quad core processor, and an insane pricetag of $200.

And don't forget the $25 coupon towards future purchases on the Android store. :D

MythicFrost
Jun 30, 2012, 08:02 AM
No it won't really harm the iPad sales. And a 10-inch model with more storage options which would be very competitive is going to cost more.

And don't forget the $25 coupon towards future purchases on the Android store. :D
And free movie: Transformers: Dark of the Moon!

FrozenShivers
Jun 30, 2012, 08:56 AM
Nexus 7. It has a Tegra 3 quad core processor, and an insane pricetag of $200. But it's not going to pose a threat to the iPad.

The Nexus 7 is really a different market compared to the iPad. Most of people who buy tablets falls into two groups - 'I want an iPad' and 'I want a tablet'. Those who can pay the price premium for the iPad will buy an iPad, regardless fo the competition. Others, those who don't plan on buying an iPad or already has an iPad will probably buy the Nexus 7.

I can afford an iPad (Plus I have an iPhone 4 and 2011 Mac Mini, so it would keep it in the same ecosystem). I've just placed an order for the 16GB Nexus 7, you're wrong.

Oohara
Jun 30, 2012, 09:12 AM
If Apple doesn't come out with a ~7" iPad this fall, I'll be buying a Nexus 7 rather than an iPad. So far all the 7" tablets have been too crappy/not an option and I was about to cave in and go for the iPad anyway, but the Nexus 7 actually provides a viable alternative.

dukeblue91
Jun 30, 2012, 09:14 AM
I too am thinking about buying one and I do have a iPad 3 and iPhone 4
But i'm thinking to get it for my son so he will leave my iPad alone.
That price is really insane and would do everything my son needs.

nickchallis92
Jun 30, 2012, 09:23 AM
I can't believe how much of a bargain the nexus 7 tablet is.

Google have a winner here for sure. I'm definitely getting one

Rodster
Jun 30, 2012, 12:45 PM
I can't believe how much of a bargain the nexus 7 tablet is.

Google have a winner here for sure. I'm definitely getting one

I personally think Google missed an opportunity by not including a Micro SD slot. The 8GB Tablet leaves 5.92GB remaining for use. The 16GB is the better choice. At least Samsung gives you a Micro SD slot with their newer Tablets so what tablet you buy has no impact on you because you can easily increase the storage.

poloponies
Jun 30, 2012, 12:59 PM
I personally think Google missed an opportunity by not including a Micro SD slot. The 8GB Tablet leaves 5.92GB remaining for use. The 16GB is the better choice. At least Samsung gives you a Micro SD slot with their newer Tablets so what tablet you buy has no impact on you because you can easily increase the storage.

They didn't miss the opportunity, they considered it and decided against it. It's not like they didn't realize inclduing a memory slot was possible. Better to make some profit at the 16GB end than sell only 8GB and get little to no profit. And, as you note, the 8GB lets them boast an attractive entry price while most will opt for the 16GB.

nuckinfutz
Jun 30, 2012, 01:05 PM
This is actually good for the iPad.

What the Nexus 7 does is tells other Android vendors that Google will encroach on the territory that you helped created and suck the profit out of it.

Google's acquisition of Motorola and now this pretty much means that I suspect we're going to see a strong push by current Android vendors into the Windows 8 space.

Microsoft will be able to leverage the desktop to push Android out of some lucrative markets like the Enterprise.

I see little positive about the Nexus 7.

Jb07
Jun 30, 2012, 02:42 PM
This is actually good for the iPad.

What the Nexus 7 does is tells other Android vendors that Google will encroach on the territory that you helped created and suck the profit out of it.

Google's acquisition of Motorola and now this pretty much means that I suspect we're going to see a strong push by current Android vendors into the Windows 8 space.

Microsoft will be able to leverage the desktop to push Android out of some lucrative markets like the Enterprise.

I see little positive about the Nexus 7.

Um... What? Google doesn't make the Nexus 7, Asus does. The difference between the Nexus and other Android tablets is the Nexus will get software updates first. Asus gets the profit from sales, not Google. Google isn't "sucking the profit" out of the Android tablet market.

Ipadfever
Jun 30, 2012, 03:38 PM
Nexus is the new kindle fire, sales will be a bit higher but still won't touch apple in the tablet market.

Jb07
Jun 30, 2012, 03:55 PM
It was never said to be an iPad competitor. It wasn't designed to be an iPad killer. It's a Kindle Fire and Galaxy Tab 7 competitor.

thewitt
Jun 30, 2012, 04:58 PM
If Apple doesn't come out with a ~7" iPad this fall, I'll be buying a Nexus 7 rather than an iPad. So far all the 7" tablets have been too crappy/not an option and I was about to cave in and go for the iPad anyway, but the Nexus 7 actually provides a viable alternative.

But it now. There won't be a 7" iPad

nuckinfutz
Jun 30, 2012, 06:49 PM
Um... What? Google doesn't make the Nexus 7, Asus does. The difference between the Nexus and other Android tablets is the Nexus will get software updates first. Asus gets the profit from sales, not Google. Google isn't "sucking the profit" out of the Android tablet market.

Selling at cost sucks the profit out of the market and makes Android less of a platform that good vendors are going to want to support.

advan031
Jun 30, 2012, 07:04 PM
Bought one so I can finally try an Android OS and the specs on paper looks great. I am really excited about this.

Rodster
Jun 30, 2012, 07:27 PM
Bought one so I can finally try an Android OS and the specs on paper looks great. I am really excited about this.

Congrats, the Nexus 7 should see quick OS updates. I've been debating it but I really don't like 7" Tablets.

colour
Jun 30, 2012, 07:46 PM
The nexus 7 is a competitive product ! Yes you would say that the ipad is better but for the $200 its unbeatable, its perfect as an additional reader, browser and pretty much will do everything for a fraction of apples prices ($500-800).

Also, In addition to this I think that google finesse their products almost equally or on par with apple today, so apple is no longer so far ahead in their software / product design and their prices aren't as justifiable.

QuarterSwede
Jun 30, 2012, 07:55 PM
Congrats, the Nexus 7 should see quick OS updates. I've been debating it but I really don't like 7" Tablets.
I feel the same. My wife has a Kindle Fire and I just don't like the form factor. It's great for books but not much else.

I do like Android 4.1 on the Nexus 7 though. It's fairly compelling and a ton better than the Kindle Fire's custom Android OS (I HATE the home screen).

MacJones
Jun 30, 2012, 08:00 PM
I would never buy a 7" tablet even if it was made by Apple. The 9.7" screen is a decent size but I wish it was a little bit bigger. I also prefer the Apple ecosystem and OS over Android.

KevinRightWing
Jun 30, 2012, 08:02 PM
I am preordering one myself. I tried the iPad 2 and 3 but it is just too big for my needs. I bleed Apple: own an i7 mbp, the Thunderbolt display, IPhone 4.......but I will be buying a Google tablet.

colour
Jun 30, 2012, 08:05 PM
I feel the same. My wife has a Kindle Fire and I just don't like the form factor. It's great for books but not much else.

I do like Android 4.1 on the Nexus 7 though. It's fairly compelling and a ton better than the Kindle Fire's custom Android OS (I HATE the home screen).

Not sure how much this matters to others here but the customization of android is really powerful and more people get involved as a result there are some really nice options in android which aren't as prominent in the ios scene.

examples of custom android OS

http://mycolorscreen.com/2012/06/17/classy-5/
http://mycolorscreen.com/2012/06/19/black-and-white-13/
http://mycolorscreen.com/2012/06/24/uncluttered/

I can't wait to see what the community comes up with with the nexus 7, I'm sure there will be lots of 3rd party gadgets and mods like the ipad.

number84
Jun 30, 2012, 09:12 PM
I really hope they make a cellular capable version though. 7" is too small for around the house use but 10" is too big to carry around everywhere.

I have an iPad 3 LTE, btw.

takeshi74
Jun 30, 2012, 09:24 PM
Those who can pay the price premium for the iPad will buy an iPad, regardless fo the competition.
No, they don't. Not all, that is. You might but what you'd do and what others would do are entirely different things.

cdf3
Jun 30, 2012, 09:29 PM
I too am thinking about buying one and I do have a iPad 3 and iPhone 4
But i'm thinking to get it for my son so he will leave my iPad alone.
That price is really insane and would do everything my son needs.

I was thinking the same thing for my son. My phone is too small for him, and I don't like carrying my iPad around in public. The 7" would be a nice size to carry around to keep him occupied when needed.

TyroneShoes2
Jun 30, 2012, 09:34 PM
Well, anyone who buys a Nexus 7 without at least test-driving an iPad is a fool, but anyone who buys an iPad without at least test-driving other tablets is really just saving time.

But most smart shoppers will test drive both before buying, and what happens when they do that?

Scroll on an iPad, and then scroll on an Android device. The iPad responds immediately, and the ballistics are gorgeous; highly intuitive. On an Android device, the response is slow, and the ballistics are not as elegant, to put it mildly. Apple treats the entire screen as a vector image, while Android seems to keep the info for every item on a screen as a separate entity, so a screen full of icons scrolls immediately on an iPad, while Android has to crunch and think about it. And that is just one of many aspects of the UI.

But that singular elegance of user interface alone should keep 95% of those who test drive both in the iPad camp.

Ddyracer
Jun 30, 2012, 09:37 PM
It looks like the king of 7 inch tablets. Too bad it doesn't have a rear camera.

KevinRightWing
Jun 30, 2012, 09:52 PM
It looks like the king of 7 inch tablets. Too bad it doesn't have a rear camera.

To be honest, I have never really understood the whole rear facing camera on an ipad. I cant imagine that too many people actually use it instead of pulling out their smartphone.

Rodster
Jun 30, 2012, 10:04 PM
To be honest, I have never really understood the whole rear facing camera on an ipad. I cant imagine that too many people actually use it instead of pulling out their smartphone.

Totally agree. I've used my rear facing tablet camera maybe 3 times in over a year and that was because I didn't have my smartphone with me.

Ddyracer
Jun 30, 2012, 10:15 PM

Well, I think the mentality is why pull out my smartphone when i'm using the iPad? It eliminates the need for using two devices simultaneously. I know some people probably feel awkward, perhaps stupid taking pictures with a 1.5 pound tablet, i feel that way too, although you got to remember the tablet is still fairly new as a trend product. So it's not as comfortable as say, an iPhone.

Which is why I feel more at home with 7 inch tablets. I hope apple releases a 7 inch "mini" iPad. That would be terrific.

Rodster
Jun 30, 2012, 10:19 PM
Well, anyone who buys a Nexus 7 without at least test-driving an iPad is a fool, but anyone who buys an iPad without at least test-driving other tablets is really just saving time.

But most smart shoppers will test drive both before buying, and what happens when they do that?

Scroll on an iPad, and then scroll on an Android device. The iPad responds immediately, and the ballistics are gorgeous; highly intuitive. On an Android device, the response is slow, and the ballistics are not as elegant, to put it mildly. Apple treats the entire screen as a vector image, while Android seems to keep the info for every item on a screen as a separate entity, so a screen full of icons scrolls immediately on an iPad, while Android has to crunch and think about it. And that is just one of many aspects of the UI.

But that singular elegance of user interface alone should keep 95% of those who test drive both in the iPad camp.

LOL, gotta love the FUD. I own 2 Android tablets (Kindle Fire and a Galaxy Tab 10.1) The Kindle Fire is under powered but the UI isn't too bad. My Galaxy Tab is loaded with apps and I have not once encountered anything you said. To the contrary the UI on the Galaxy Tab is very smooth even when you factor in the Samsung bloatware that's running.

The Google Nexus 7 runs on a new OS, Jelly Bean and everything i've read has indicated it's a very smooth OS. Working in tandem with Jelly Bean is "Project Butter' which is used to make sure things stay running smooth.

Also the Google Nexus will have very little, if any bloat. If I wanted a 7" Android Tablet i'd definitely get the Google Nexus 7. Sweet deal with solid specs.

QuarterSwede
Jun 30, 2012, 11:14 PM
LOL, gotta love the FUD. I own 2 Android tablets (Kindle Fire and a Galaxy Tab 10.1) The Kindle Fire is under powered but the UI isn't too bad. My Galaxy Tab is loaded with apps and I have not once encountered anything you said. To the contrary the UI on the Galaxy Tab is very smooth even when you factor in the Samsung bloatware that's running.

The Google Nexus 7 runs on a new OS, Jelly Bean and everything i've read has indicated it's a very smooth OS. Working in tandem with Jelly Bean is "Project Butter' which is used to make sure things stay running smooth.

Also the Google Nexus will have very little, if any bloat. If I wanted a 7" Android Tablet i'd definitely get the Google Nexus 7. Sweet deal with solid specs.
Gotta agree with this. I watched The Verge's video review and Topolsky specifically talked on this point for at least a minute. He said it was one of the first Android devices to actually keep up with his finger and he showed it doing so quite often.

Fruit Cake
Jun 30, 2012, 11:21 PM
I'm gettin one, I don't see it competing with iPad, moreso the kindle fire and nook then anything. Its a content consumption device, 7inch meaning e book reader market. It's too gimped to compete with the iPad.

dba415
Jun 30, 2012, 11:52 PM

have you even use the nexus 7, oh I already know the answer to that you have not.

basically, the nexus 7 is easily a better deal than the iPad. The apps that are tailored to tablets will come soon and will come in a hurry. I don't think I can recommend an iPad to anybody now that the Nexus 7 is out there. Even if you are in the market for a tablet and price is no obstacle.

advan031
Jul 1, 2012, 01:12 AM
have you even use the nexus 7, oh I already know the answer to that you have not.

basically, the nexus 7 is easily a better deal than the iPad. The apps that are tailored to tablets will come soon and will come in a hurry. I don't think I can recommend an iPad to anybody now that the Nexus 7 is out there. Even if you are in the market for a tablet and price is no obstacle.

How about if they want a screen that's larger than 7"? Lol

MythicFrost
Jul 1, 2012, 02:43 AM

Whether it's a better deal or not depends on what you're after. The Nexus 7 is a great device at a great price point, but it won't really offer much competition for the iPad due to its larger screen size, better battery life, and massive App Store. Honestly they've got different target markets.

iEvolution
Jul 1, 2012, 03:04 AM
With only 8gb or 16gb capacities, forget it. Really seems like an attempt to get people on their cloud service.

After owning the $200 kindle fire I've come to realize you get what you pay for. It was an ok tablet but you definitely get a half tablet experience with it.

Android market is getting better with tablets (own a Xoom) but it's still miles away from the iPad.

you either have to pick good price or good user experience, so far you really can't have both.

flameproof
Jul 1, 2012, 03:14 AM
>Why the Nexus 7 isn't going to harm the iPad's sales.

Nexus 7 = 7" screen
iPad = ~10" screen

It's totally different market. Or do hamsters effect horse sales?

iEvolution
Jul 1, 2012, 03:17 AM

Just because google releases a tablet doesn't mean the apps are going to start coming, how many years has it been since android tablets have been around and the market still suffers from lack of tablet optimized apps.

If the device is hugely successful then it will be a incentive for developers to optimize their apps for it, even then it's not coming over night. When I look at my Xoom and iPad 3 the iPad market is at least a year (closer to 2) ahead of android for tablet apps and that is what makes a tablet great, the 3rd party apps.

Don't get me wrong, I actually prefer browsing and typing on my Xoom better than the iPod, I like the customizing I can do on android over iOS, for instance I can use 3rd party keyboard apps in android making the on screen keyboard superior to the iPad. The iPad choices are big letters or tiny split keyboard with no customization, with android I can literally change anything about it, look, size, and custom buttons.

Like android better but like iOS' 3rd party market better.

Renzatic
Jul 1, 2012, 03:18 AM
\Scroll on an iPad, and then scroll on an Android device. The iPad responds immediately, and the ballistics are gorgeous; highly intuitive. On an Android device, the response is slow, and the ballistics are not as elegant, to put it mildly.

Thanks to Project Butter, it looks like this one big problem with Android has finally been addressed. Every video I've seen of the Nexus 7 in action looks like it's as quick and smooth as the iPad.

Check it out for yourself (http://www.phonedog.com/videos/google-nexus-7-video-review-part-1/)

To me, it seems the people who flat out bag on this tablet only do so because they don't want to like it. The 7" screen might not be big enough for everybody, and the storage space is a little on the anaemic side. But the performance, the options, the new and improved UI, and the power you're getting at that price? I'm fairly happy with my iPad, but it's still pretty tempting.

It's totally different market. Or do hamsters effect horse sales?

A 7" tablet vs. a 9.7" one isn't a totally different market. Definitely not hamsters to horses different. More like ponies to horses.

Cuz...you know...a pony is a smaller horse.

Faux Carnival
Jul 1, 2012, 03:25 AM
I'll never buy a 7-inch tablet, until of course Apple makes one. With a RETINA display...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0-X1-1lk-Q

ntc3freak
Jul 1, 2012, 03:31 AM
I'm certainly getting one. Will be picking up the new iPad in two weeks as well. The way I see it, both are completely different devices, simply due to their size.

I plan to use the Nexus 7 as my e-reader as well as magazines for toilet sessions. iPad is just too valuable to use in the toilet :p not to mention for those times on bed when holding an iPad in the air would be far more straining and less enjoyable than a light, small tablet. That's where the Nexus 7 comes in.

I'm really excited by the Nexus 7 to be honest. All the reviews have been tremendously positive. It IS a good tablet, not just because it's cheap. It's a good tablet, period. The price of course makes it super attractive.

People complain that it doesn't have enough storage. While that is true, I don't see that being a problem for my usage intentions for the Nexus 7. And I'm fairly certain this tablet will appeal to those who already have an iPad. There are quite a few already on this thread. If anything, it's the perfect tablet for kids.

gladoscc
Jul 1, 2012, 03:50 AM

4.1 is much more responsive, feels like iOS now.

ntc3freak
Jul 1, 2012, 04:12 AM
Have to concur with people saying that Jelly Bean is now closer to iOS in terms of smoothness than Android has ever been.

Try looking at a few videos on Youtube, it simply flies through everything. Not to mention it is running on a relatively ancient Galaxy Nexus with mediocre hardware in today's world. Jelly Bean has absolutely transformed that phone! It's just super super quick with nice animations. But above all, it's smoooooooooth :D

IMO it is a much much tougher task to make Android smooth compared to iOS. Whereas iOS only has to render grids of icons, Android has to render grids of icons AND all the widgets you may have on your homescreen. Finally Android will feel as smooth as it should have always been.

Nevertheless, I prefer iOS on a large tablet. Simply because a tablet is used for doing things. iOS is great in that sense because you unlock the device and head straight into a particular app. That's it. I prefer Android on phones when I need widgets for my weather and calendar and other things. Great to have the choice!

Rodster
Jul 1, 2012, 07:12 AM
With only 8gb or 16gb capacities, forget it. Really seems like an attempt to get people on their cloud service.

After owning the $200 kindle fire I've come to realize you get what you pay for. It was an ok tablet but you definitely get a half tablet experience with it.

Android market is getting better with tablets (own a Xoom) but it's still miles away from the iPad.

you either have to pick good price or good user experience, so far you really can't have both.

From what i've read you can sync the tablet to your PC so maybe you can backup files, apps and such to a PC without using the Cloud service.

ucfgrad93
Jul 1, 2012, 10:36 AM
Gotta agree with this. I watched The Verge's video review and Topolsky specifically talked on this point for at least a minute. He said it was one of the first Android devices to actually keep up with his finger and he showed it doing so quite often.

The Verge review rated the Nexus 7 pretty high. It looks like a great device. I really like the 7" screen and am waiting until later this year to see if Apple introduces one and what sort of update Amazon does to the Fire before buying one.

Zebis
Jul 1, 2012, 04:18 PM
The place where the Nexus 7 may make a dent on the iPad is in education.

Granted that the app selection is still poor compared to the iPad, but the cost benefit is huge.

I plan to purchase ~128 touch devices next year, we already have iPad's on trial and they are good (the apple ID, bulk purchase of apps, sharing the iPad amongst many users is an issue).

But size isn't an issue, not for students. Content is, as well as the ability to "multi-user" the device. Unfortunately we can't stretch to a 1:1 device roll-out.

Ill buy the Nexus 7, and when Surface is available, and trial run all the devices in the classroom.

iDave
Jul 1, 2012, 10:13 PM
I've been considering an iPad since they first came out. Nexus 7 has convinced me that iPad would be a waste of money. I ordered a 16GB Nexus today. So, um, I guess it will hurt iPad sales, a little.

spiderman0616
Jul 2, 2012, 08:56 AM

Well, start imagining it, because it's happening. I'm seeing people all over the place using their iPads to take pictures and video. I too have been doing the same. I love having the larger view finder, and the still camera on the new iPad does a much better job than my iPhone 4. Also, if I'm already holding my iPad, why not use it? If I put it down and get my iPhone out, my kids have already stopped doing whatever cute thing it was that I wanted to capture. Also, the new iPad does much better in low light than my iPhone 4.

Yes, this is just anecdotal, but I think it's very telling that in the last week, I have seen people at the museum, at an amusement park, and at a 5K my sister ran in, taking pictures with their iPads instead of phones or standalone cameras.

phpmaven
Jul 2, 2012, 09:08 AM

Negatory, you're thinking of older devices. The latest android devices are buttery smooth and responsive. That old mantra that android devices are slow and unresponsive is just not true anymore.

BFizzzle
Jul 2, 2012, 09:09 AM
Negatory, you're thinking of older devices. The latest android devices are buttery smooth and responsive. That old mantra that android devices are slow and unresponsive is just not true anymore.

yeah most new ones are pretty smooth, they still dont feel as smooth and "snappy" as my 4s though. i havent tried a sIII or htc one..

auero
Jul 2, 2012, 09:22 AM
Just because google releases a tablet doesn't mean the apps are going to start coming, how many years has it been since android tablets have been around and the market still suffers from lack of tablet optimized apps.

It's the price point. The Nexus 7 will sell because it's affordable. I'd love to buy an iPad but for half the price its really hard to resist. Developers have a new market to dominate and I really think they'll rush to get there before anyone else.

radicalcentrist
Jul 2, 2012, 10:04 AM
My wife has an iPad 2 and loves it, but I eventually sold our iPad 1 because it was just too big for my uses. I already have to take a laptop when I travel, so cutting additional weight is key (and, no, I can't sub out the iPad, for a number of reasons).

I'd love a 7" tablet, and if Apple releases one this fall, it's what I'll buy (we're a completely Apple ecosystem at home and at my office). But I've waited long enough, so if Apple doesn't, I'll be buying one of these.

Certainly, my sample size is one (myself), but I don't think that it's unreasonable to think there might be a sizable population who are in the same boat, although probably not enough to dent Apple's bottom line.

Jagardn
Jul 2, 2012, 09:32 PM
I used to have an iPad, but I sold it and got an 11" Macbook Air. I just needed some functionality that a tablet can't do. I was in the market for a Kindle fire though. I wanted to upgrade my current kindle, with the newer hardware of the Nexus 7, it was a no brainer, and I can still use the kindle app. I don't see it effecting iPad sales too much, but could put a hurting on the Kindle fire sales.

Matthew9559
Jul 2, 2012, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I see this affecting Kindle fire sales but not so much the iPad. At 200, I know which tablet I would choose. Those specs aren't pretty damn good too.

spiderman0616
Jul 3, 2012, 12:15 PM
This is a re-run of last year when the Fire came out. I specifically remember a CNET story by Molly Wood saying that the Kindle Fire was an iPad Killer because of the price. Most reviews said, "Yes, the iPad is better, but is it worth all the extra money?" People predicted huge sales for the holidays and beyond.

Well here we are now. People are still buying iPads in droves and the Kindle Fire is starting to really tank. There was an initial holiday rush and that was about all. And that was for a $200 tablet that had a GREAT media eco system already in place--one that could arguably almost rival iTunes. Meanwhile all other Android tablets have sputtered and died.

I predict the same for the Nexus 7. There will be an initial rush of gadget geeks that buy it followed by a whole lot of nothing. I doubt that Joe Schmoe even knows about this thing, and even if they did, there are already lots of other cheap 7" tablets out there than aren't being bought, why would this one? Price? Yeah, maybe.

I still remain convinced that a majority of Android users don't care that they're using Android. They just got it along with their free/cheap phone, and recent usage numbers suggest the same. Tablets are not the same situation, because you're usually just going out and buying one outright. You're not getting roped into a contract like you are on your phone. And the general public has proved time and again that they really, in general, just want iPads.

Exio
Jul 3, 2012, 08:34 PM

If the device is hugely successful then it will be a incentive for developers to optimize their apps for it, even then it's not coming over night. When I look at my Xoom and iPad 3 the iPad market is at least a year (closer to 2) ahead of android for tablet apps and that is what makes a tablet great, the 3rd party apps.

Don't get me wrong, I actually prefer browsing and typing on my Xoom better than the iPod, I like the customizing I can do on android over iOS, for instance I can use 3rd party keyboard apps in android making the on screen keyboard superior to the iPad. The iPad choices are big letters or tiny split keyboard with no customization, with android I can literally change anything about it, look, size, and custom buttons.

Like android better but like iOS' 3rd party market better.

Android is designed to be used on all platforms, so apps do not have to be developed for specific platforms like with iOS.

Fattytail
Jul 3, 2012, 09:31 PM
This is a re-run of last year when the Fire came out. I specifically remember a CNET story by Molly Wood saying that the Kindle Fire was an iPad Killer because of the price. Most reviews said, "Yes, the iPad is better, but is it worth all the extra money?" People predicted huge sales for the holidays and beyond.

Well here we are now. People are still buying iPads in droves and the Kindle Fire is starting to really tank. There was an initial holiday rush and that was about all. And that was for a $200 tablet that had a GREAT media eco system already in place--one that could arguably almost rival iTunes. Meanwhile all other Android tablets have sputtered and died.

I predict the same for the Nexus 7. There will be an initial rush of gadget geeks that buy it followed by a whole lot of nothing. I doubt that Joe Schmoe even knows about this thing, and even if they did, there are already lots of other cheap 7" tablets out there than aren't being bought, why would this one? Price? Yeah, maybe.

I still remain convinced that a majority of Android users don't care that they're using Android. They just got it along with their free/cheap phone, and recent usage numbers suggest the same. Tablets are not the same situation, because you're usually just going out and buying one outright. You're not getting roped into a contract like you are on your phone. And the general public has proved time and again that they really, in general, just want iPads.

I have to agree with this. Apple's advantage isn't just in building great hardware or having a terrific ecosystem. No one has been able to match their marketing prowess, which creates demand, or their distribution network, which supplies the demand. There's something to be said for having a global network of your own stores that generally can provide excellent after sales support. No other manufacturer can match that at the moment.

Well, start imagining it, because it's happening. I'm seeing people all over the place using their iPads to take pictures and video. I too have been doing the same. I love having the larger view finder, and the still camera on the new iPad does a much better job than my iPhone 4. Also, if I'm already holding my iPad, why not use it? If I put it down and get my iPhone out, my kids have already stopped doing whatever cute thing it was that I wanted to capture. Also, the new iPad does much better in low light than my iPhone 4.

Yes, this is just anecdotal, but I think it's very telling that in the last week, I have seen people at the museum, at an amusement park, and at a 5K my sister ran in, taking pictures with their iPads instead of phones or standalone cameras.

Yep, agreed. I'm actually surprised it's even an issue. If I already have my iPad out, it's infinitely easier using it to take a picture or video instead of whipping out a camera or phone. And the camera on the new iPad is actually pretty decent, so what's the fuss all about? Certain people will always have a hard time accepting new things until the new things become commonplace, I suppose.

NbinHD
Jul 3, 2012, 09:34 PM
You should rename the Thread to 'Why the iPad Mini is going to kill the Nexus 7's sales" Hehe, I hope.

Jackintosh
Jul 3, 2012, 09:42 PM
Why is everyone worrying about the Nexus? It's aimed at the low-end Nook/Fire market, not the iPad market. It's Microsoft's Surface new tablet with similar screen size and pricing that's targeting Apple and iPad.

ReallyBigFeet
Jul 3, 2012, 11:59 PM
It's the price point. The Nexus 7 will sell because it's affordable. I'd love to buy an iPad but for half the price its really hard to resist. Developers have a new market to dominate and I really think they'll rush to get there before anyone else.

Just the opposite. ICS, after 8+ months, still is only running on 10% of all Android devices. JellyBean will have the same, if not worse, adoption rates.

Developers aren't rushing to Android. Away from it is more like it and this is supported by all the industry research on the topic. The only developers making serious coin right now on mobile devices are doing so on iOS and that's where they will continue to invest their time.

Android is designed to be used on all platforms, so apps do not have to be developed for specific platforms like with iOS.

You don't understand anything about how programming works, do you?

If a developer wants to take advantage of "feature X" in hardware for the Nexus 7 or in software for JellyBean, they have to write to the correct API and/or optimize their code to exploit that fancy feature. However, most won't for the Nexus or any other Android device, choosing instead to write code optimized for the LEAST common denominator. So you get all this fancy hardware in a new Android device, but no software to really leverage it other than some demo-ware here and there.

This is what it means to be an Android developer.....QA hell or just say "screw it, don't support the new stuff, ship it." (http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/11/this-is-what-developing-for-android-looks-like/)

nishishei
Jul 4, 2012, 01:54 PM

What a tool.

Rodster
Jul 4, 2012, 02:03 PM
Just the opposite. ICS, after 8+ months, still is only running on 10% of all Android devices. JellyBean will have the same, if not worse, adoption rates.

I read that ICS had about a 14% attach rate and that was a very recent survey, still very poor. Most surprising was Gingerbread which had an attach rate into the 40%+ mark. Unsurprisingly that's what Amazon decided to use on the Kindle Fire, albeit a highly customized version.

I don't want to predict the acceptance of JB. I think that's one reason why Google decided to back one of their Tablets. We'll see if it does better than ICS? But I do agree with you that Android is HIGHLY fragmented much like Linux. If I were a developer looking for maximum return on my investment, i'd also favor iOS until the Android ecosystem stabilizes.

Medic311
Jul 4, 2012, 02:05 PM
i really like my iPad, i really do...but i feel like i am ready for a change since iOS 6 is simply just releasing rationed features. the iOS interface is clean, simple, but dated. i like the new layout of Windows Metro on the Surface tablet but i am extremely skeptical of leaving a well established system (iOS) for something new that has already flopped in the smartphone market.

i was looking at the Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0 tablet because it seemed like it had a nice spin on the user interface until playing around with it some more i realized it wasn't that great. doing some more research i found out that the UI on that tablet is actually just a "skin" so to speak that Samsung slapped on, on top of ICS. that's not what i am looking for...i want the actual OS to be that not some modification.

until i find something better, i guess i'll just stick with my iPad

Rodster
Jul 4, 2012, 02:09 PM
i really like my iPad, i really do...but i feel like i am ready for a change since iOS 6 is simply just releasing rationed features. the iOS interface is clean, simple, but dated. i like the new layout of Windows Metro on the Surface tablet but i am extremely skeptical of leaving a well established system (iOS) for something new that has already flopped in the smartphone market.

The Surface will be different because it's a full fledged OS running on a touch device that was BUILT around a touch device. Plus you'll get MS programs like Microsoft Office and other programs in the Wintel family.

I have NO hesitation buying a Surface Pro. In fact I can't wait till they start taking preorders.

nishishei
Jul 4, 2012, 02:13 PM

Why does one bring an iPad to the amusement park?

I have a 4S and the camera regardless of the hype can't a hold a candle next to a 7 year old Nikon SLR with less megapixels (d70s). But sometimes it's better to get a candid shot than no shot at all, and that's why I like my 4S camera. But iPad? Really? You might as well pull out your laptop and turn on the webcam.

Medic311
Jul 4, 2012, 02:16 PM
The Surface will be different because it's a full fledged OS running on a touch device that was BUILT around a touch device. Plus you'll get MS programs like Microsoft Office and other programs in the Wintel family.

I have NO hesitation buying a Surface Pro. In fact I can't wait till they start taking preorders.

that's true, i was talking about the RT mainly.

i do like the Surface Pro...i see something like that replacing my Acer TimelineX running Windows 7

Night Spring
Jul 4, 2012, 06:28 PM

But we haven't yet seen the tablet-optimized version of Office, have we? I already know that desktop versions of Office and other Wintel programs will be horrible on a multitouch screen. And I'm not convinced that the Metro version of Office will be as full-featured as the desktop version. We could well end up with a feature-limited multitouch environment like the iOS version of iWorks, and in order to use the full desktop environment, we need to use the keyboard. At that point, what you have is essentially a netbook. And netbooks were pretty much killed off by the iPad. As a netbook, I don't see the Surface as having any more features than previous netbooks, and as a multitouch tablet, it's an unproven platform. So I have LOTS of reservations regarding the Surface, and I certainly won't be preordering it.

iEvolution
Jul 4, 2012, 06:54 PM

Yeah but the Amazon Kindle Fire is proof that price point isn't going to necessarily make the item a hot seller.

Even at about 60% cheaper than the lowest capacity iPad the Fire didn't dig into the market share very much. What does the Google Nexus have to offer over the Fire outside of a full featured android operating system (which can be done on the Fire as well) and the Tegra 3 processor?

I don't think the Nexus tablet is much different than the Kindle Fire. It lacks external capacity support, the operating system sits at ~1.5GB meaning the 8GB model would only have ~5.5GB of space useable.

I think the tablet could be so much more but I don't think trying to undercut the iPad is the answer, as said the Fire didn't move the iPad much and as far as I know the sales have slumped considerably since other larger, more full featured tablets get cheaper. I got my Motorola Xoom 32GB for $100 more than the Kindle fire, 3x the capacity, camera and external storage support.

Once I got some 3rd party app customization for the android keyboard (thumb keyboard) and an external keyboard for the iPad the Kindle has collected dust. Though I will say 7" is a great on-the-go size and makes typing with the on-screen keyboard a breeze without having to try to stretch your thumb to reach certain keys.

iEvolution
Jul 4, 2012, 09:14 PM

With hundreds of different hardware that android runs on, developers have to optimize interface based on size <x>. As such, many apps are designed for smart phones and since they are designed for 3" - 5" screens they poorly utilize the extra size the tablets offer. The apps designed for smaller screens are very obviously seen as such because the graphics are very pixelated and stretched.

This is what fragmentation brings, developers have to try to optimize for a certain screen size so obviously the smart phone market is much larger than the android tablet market so it would make more sense for them to tweak the interface to fit the smaller screens rather than just optimize it for tablets.

Obviously this happens with iOS too but Apple handles it by shrinking the interface to match the phone size on the tablet so it doesn't look like crap while also giving you the option to stretch it to fit full screen.

Bwa
Jul 4, 2012, 10:20 PM
I have 5 iPads in my house (2 people).

I ordered a Nexus 7 16 gb. Android is getting interesting on tablets, though I am skeptical about battery life based on my experience with a Samsung Android phone that I bought for areas where AT&T doesn't work. I ended up canning the phone because it was always dead when I needed it (I travel a lot).

Rodster
Jul 4, 2012, 10:45 PM
I have 5 iPads in my house (2 people).

I ordered a Nexus 7 16 gb. Android is getting interesting on tablets, though I am skeptical about battery life based on my experience with a Samsung Android phone that I bought for areas where AT&T doesn't work. I ended up canning the phone because it was always dead when I needed it (I travel a lot).

There's a review posted on Engadget and they claim the Nexus 7 pushes close to 10 hours. :)

Apple...
Jul 4, 2012, 10:46 PM
Was this thread really necessary? :confused:

YsoSerious
Jul 4, 2012, 11:21 PM
Was this thread really necessary? :confused:

I agree. Oh and I ordered a Nexus 7 16GB. For $200 it's worth checking it out.

spiderman0616
Jul 5, 2012, 08:51 AM
Why does one bring an iPad to the amusement park?

I have a 4S and the camera regardless of the hype can't a hold a candle next to a 7 year old Nikon SLR with less megapixels (d70s). But sometimes it's better to get a candid shot than no shot at all, and that's why I like my 4S camera. But iPad? Really? You might as well pull out your laptop and turn on the webcam.

I have no idea why people bring them to amusement parks, but I saw two people with them walking around Six Flags the other day. Does it really make sense? No. Just saying, that's what's starting to happen.

Rodster
Jul 5, 2012, 09:07 AM
I have no idea why people bring them to amusement parks, but I saw two people with them walking around Six Flags the other day. Does it really make sense? No. Just saying, that's what's starting to happen.

First off because we have become an interconnected society thru technology. You'd be surprised on how many need to check for email or surf the web if they feel the need to. Carrying an iPad looks more socially acceptable than carrying around a PS Vita. :p