Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gladoscc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Nexus 7. It has a Tegra 3 quad core processor, and an insane pricetag of $200. But it's not going to pose a threat to the iPad.

The Nexus 7 is really a different market compared to the iPad. Most of people who buy tablets falls into two groups - 'I want an iPad' and 'I want a tablet'. Those who can pay the price premium for the iPad will buy an iPad, regardless fo the competition. Others, those who don't plan on buying an iPad or already has an iPad will probably buy the Nexus 7.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
No it won't really harm the iPad sales. And a 10-inch model with more storage options which would be very competitive is going to cost more.

And don't forget the $25 coupon towards future purchases on the Android store. :D
And free movie: Transformers: Dark of the Moon!

FrozenShivers

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2011
Nexus 7. It has a Tegra 3 quad core processor, and an insane pricetag of $200. But it's not going to pose a threat to the iPad.

The Nexus 7 is really a different market compared to the iPad. Most of people who buy tablets falls into two groups - 'I want an iPad' and 'I want a tablet'. Those who can pay the price premium for the iPad will buy an iPad, regardless fo the competition. Others, those who don't plan on buying an iPad or already has an iPad will probably buy the Nexus 7.

I can afford an iPad (Plus I have an iPhone 4 and 2011 Mac Mini, so it would keep it in the same ecosystem). I've just placed an order for the 16GB Nexus 7, you're wrong.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
If Apple doesn't come out with a ~7" iPad this fall, I'll be buying a Nexus 7 rather than an iPad. So far all the 7" tablets have been too crappy/not an option and I was about to cave in and go for the iPad anyway, but the Nexus 7 actually provides a viable alternative.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I too am thinking about buying one and I do have a iPad 3 and iPhone 4
But i'm thinking to get it for my son so he will leave my iPad alone.
That price is really insane and would do everything my son needs.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
I can't believe how much of a bargain the nexus 7 tablet is.

Google have a winner here for sure. I'm definitely getting one

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I can't believe how much of a bargain the nexus 7 tablet is.

Google have a winner here for sure. I'm definitely getting one

I personally think Google missed an opportunity by not including a Micro SD slot. The 8GB Tablet leaves 5.92GB remaining for use. The 16GB is the better choice. At least Samsung gives you a Micro SD slot with their newer Tablets so what tablet you buy has no impact on you because you can easily increase the storage.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I personally think Google missed an opportunity by not including a Micro SD slot. The 8GB Tablet leaves 5.92GB remaining for use. The 16GB is the better choice. At least Samsung gives you a Micro SD slot with their newer Tablets so what tablet you buy has no impact on you because you can easily increase the storage.

They didn't miss the opportunity, they considered it and decided against it. It's not like they didn't realize inclduing a memory slot was possible. Better to make some profit at the 16GB end than sell only 8GB and get little to no profit. And, as you note, the 8GB lets them boast an attractive entry price while most will opt for the 16GB.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
This is actually good for the iPad.

What the Nexus 7 does is tells other Android vendors that Google will encroach on the territory that you helped created and suck the profit out of it.

Google's acquisition of Motorola and now this pretty much means that I suspect we're going to see a strong push by current Android vendors into the Windows 8 space.

Microsoft will be able to leverage the desktop to push Android out of some lucrative markets like the Enterprise.

I see little positive about the Nexus 7.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
This is actually good for the iPad.

What the Nexus 7 does is tells other Android vendors that Google will encroach on the territory that you helped created and suck the profit out of it.

Google's acquisition of Motorola and now this pretty much means that I suspect we're going to see a strong push by current Android vendors into the Windows 8 space.

Microsoft will be able to leverage the desktop to push Android out of some lucrative markets like the Enterprise.

I see little positive about the Nexus 7.

Um... What? Google doesn't make the Nexus 7, Asus does. The difference between the Nexus and other Android tablets is the Nexus will get software updates first. Asus gets the profit from sales, not Google. Google isn't "sucking the profit" out of the Android tablet market.

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Nexus is the new kindle fire, sales will be a bit higher but still won't touch apple in the tablet market.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
It was never said to be an iPad competitor. It wasn't designed to be an iPad killer. It's a Kindle Fire and Galaxy Tab 7 competitor.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
If Apple doesn't come out with a ~7" iPad this fall, I'll be buying a Nexus 7 rather than an iPad. So far all the 7" tablets have been too crappy/not an option and I was about to cave in and go for the iPad anyway, but the Nexus 7 actually provides a viable alternative.

But it now. There won't be a 7" iPad

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Um... What? Google doesn't make the Nexus 7, Asus does. The difference between the Nexus and other Android tablets is the Nexus will get software updates first. Asus gets the profit from sales, not Google. Google isn't "sucking the profit" out of the Android tablet market.

Selling at cost sucks the profit out of the market and makes Android less of a platform that good vendors are going to want to support.

advan031

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
Bought one so I can finally try an Android OS and the specs on paper looks great. I am really excited about this.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Bought one so I can finally try an Android OS and the specs on paper looks great. I am really excited about this.

Congrats, the Nexus 7 should see quick OS updates. I've been debating it but I really don't like 7" Tablets.

colour

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
The nexus 7 is a competitive product ! Yes you would say that the ipad is better but for the $200 its unbeatable, its perfect as an additional reader, browser and pretty much will do everything for a fraction of apples prices ($500-800).

Also, In addition to this I think that google finesse their products almost equally or on par with apple today, so apple is no longer so far ahead in their software / product design and their prices aren't as justifiable.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Congrats, the Nexus 7 should see quick OS updates. I've been debating it but I really don't like 7" Tablets.
I feel the same. My wife has a Kindle Fire and I just don't like the form factor. It's great for books but not much else.

I do like Android 4.1 on the Nexus 7 though. It's fairly compelling and a ton better than the Kindle Fire's custom Android OS (I HATE the home screen).

MacJones

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Arizona
I would never buy a 7" tablet even if it was made by Apple. The 9.7" screen is a decent size but I wish it was a little bit bigger. I also prefer the Apple ecosystem and OS over Android.

KevinRightWing

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX
I am preordering one myself. I tried the iPad 2 and 3 but it is just too big for my needs. I bleed Apple: own an i7 mbp, the Thunderbolt display, IPhone 4.......but I will be buying a Google tablet.

colour

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
I feel the same. My wife has a Kindle Fire and I just don't like the form factor. It's great for books but not much else.

I do like Android 4.1 on the Nexus 7 though. It's fairly compelling and a ton better than the Kindle Fire's custom Android OS (I HATE the home screen).

Not sure how much this matters to others here but the customization of android is really powerful and more people get involved as a result there are some really nice options in android which aren't as prominent in the ios scene.

examples of custom android OS

http://mycolorscreen.com/2012/06/17/classy-5/
http://mycolorscreen.com/2012/06/19/black-and-white-13/
http://mycolorscreen.com/2012/06/24/uncluttered/

I can't wait to see what the community comes up with with the nexus 7, I'm sure there will be lots of 3rd party gadgets and mods like the ipad.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
I really hope they make a cellular capable version though. 7" is too small for around the house use but 10" is too big to carry around everywhere.

I have an iPad 3 LTE, btw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.