Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hayman1995

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Hello,
Next year I will hopefully be going to Brunel university to study product design. I currently have an iPad 1 64gb that I bought on release day, a MacBook pro and soon I will get a second hand 4S.

My iPad 1 has got to the point when it feels like I fight it to get something done, but for university I'm trying to slim down on equipment eg mac for PS, AutoCAD etc, iPhone as iPod, Camera etc. Does anyone use an iPad effectively for design courses? Would you miss the software like sketchbook or pages if it was not available? Ultimately should I get a New iPad for university or am I better off slimming down my consumer tech to the bare minimum?

Thanks

radug

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
UK
keep your iPad

you don't need an iPad for the course you're doing, but you can sure benefit from having one.
All the serious work (PS, AutoCad, Inventor, SolidWorks, etc) you will be doing on your MacbookPro, all the sketching you will do on paper (if you are serious about your work, forget drawing on the iPad) so the best use for the iPad is as a referencing, scheduling & general productivity tool.
Get a case that allows for a paper notebook as well : Booqpad or Moleskine . This way, you can draw freely on paper and have the iPad close by as a reference (websites, bookmarks, product photos, etc). You will also have good access to your schedule, mails & calendar (i recommend the Producteev app for tracking projects), and you will also find the iPad handy to take notes (on apps like Evernote, Pages).
Since you already have an iPad , plus the fact that this workflow would shift towards noting down stuff & browsing and away from producing things with it, i'd keep the current iPad. The money you save could go towards getting an external monitor for your macbook, which will sure come in handy when in any design software.
Hope this helps. This is what i do anyway (architect).

Snowplay

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2010
Good luck

I went to Brunel and studied Industrial Design with education and graduated back in '94. We didn't really use Mac's back then and the Internet was just a bit of weird geeky fun (I used to connect with guys in the US Navy). I now teach PD in Cyprus and we are just getting the staff into using the iPads. Great tool for taking notes, but on a design course, I can't help but think a sketch book/ note pad might still be best. Best of all those ones with lined on one side and blank on the other! Quite often you think of ideas as you go through and want to sketch them out quickly, then catch up with notes. iPhone for carrying in the back pocket and keeping connected, MacBook for doing the actual work. Sorted. Good luck and I hope it is as much fun now as it was back then!

Hayman1995

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
I went to Brunel and studied Industrial Design with education and graduated back in '94. We didn't really use Mac's back then and the Internet was just a bit of weird geeky fun (I used to connect with guys in the US Navy). I now teach PD in Cyprus and we are just getting the staff into using the iPads. Great tool for taking notes, but on a design course, I can't help but think a sketch book/ note pad might still be best. Best of all those ones with lined on one side and blank on the other! Quite often you think of ideas as you go through and want to sketch them out quickly, then catch up with notes. iPhone for carrying in the back pocket and keeping connected, MacBook for doing the actual work. Sorted. Good luck and I hope it is as much fun now as it was back then!

How was your course? I was thinking of doing industrial design but my A levels lean more to product, (I'm doing Maths, Physics and DT). any major pros or cons if you can remember?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.