Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
Mountain Lion seems very Promising, It runs just as smooth or even smoother then Lion which is great since Lion ran perfectly on my MBP. The Airplay mirroring is by far the best improvement to this OS and it seems like every day i find new features that weren't available in Lion. The only issues that i have with this update are the changes that they made to "Preview" since i am a grad student and i use this program to take notes on the PDF notes they provide in class. Also the icons in launchpad seem to be a little bigger then in Lion and thus a little blurry (barely noticeable but its there). Due to the bigger Icons in launchpad the folders hold less apps in each one.

Notification is a great feature that i think should have been in Lion. Safari 6 is a huge improvement as well! this is my first Mac that i have had for about six months so i got used to the single bar in chrome. I am very happy they combined the HTML and Search bar in Safari 6.

Every app that worked in Lion seems to work just as well in ML!

As for Growl, Notification did not make it obsolete since Notification only works with apps that are downloaded through the app store. so anything installed from outside the app store growl will still be need.

Other then the changed to Preview i believe ML is worth the $20! :)

rupam.db

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
Blurry icons ? That's disappointing. And the only App Store installed apps notification thing sucks

Asmod4n

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2011
Push Notifications only work with App Store Apps, local Notifications will work with any App. Growl will have a change to its API which lets you (Developers) easily send Growl notifications to the Notification Center. I hate Gate Kepper tho.

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
I've been using the dev preview on an external drive, and it's gotten to the point that I don't like using Lion anymore--so I'm doing one last backup of Lion and installing ML as my main OS.

I'm surprised by the stability of ML at this point, and am pleased with the feature set (in particular the syncing with iOS 6).

I've never seen the claim that you can still get local notifications from non-MAS apps; anyone have a source for that? For the time being, we can use Hiss to pipe Growl notifications into the Notification Center. It's a little inelegant at the moment, but hopefully that will change in the future.

As for a new version of Growl...I'm still leery of purchasing it off the MAS. There are still too many 1-star reviews for me to have confidence in it. If anyone has experience with v1.4 over the old (free) version I'm still running, I'd be curious to hear your impressions.

EDIT: Encountering an odd bug where the installer starts the installation process, then tells me my system has to reboot. I click reboot, and it just boots back up into Lion. I do have Filevault 2 enabled; do I need to turn it off?

EDIT 2: Apparently that is the problem.

Last edited:

rupam.db

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
Growl v1.4

It doesn't works very well. E.g when I installed it didn't gave Sparrow or Dropbox notification but once in a while it works . Slows my system a lot

Although OmniGrowl 4.4.4 and Growl 1.4 is working fine . . .All I wanted was iTunes track change notification and RSS feeds notification.

IMO I'm gonna keep it out of my new ML install :rolleyes:

cookiesnfooty

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2009
Harrogate
I've been using the dev preview on an external drive, and it's gotten to the point that I don't like using Lion anymore--so I'm doing one last backup of Lion and installing ML as my main OS.

I'm surprised by the stability of ML at this point, and am pleased with the feature set (in particular the syncing with iOS 6).

I've never seen the claim that you can still get local notifications from non-MAS apps; anyone have a source for that? For the time being, we can use Hiss to pipe Growl notifications into the Notification Center. It's a little inelegant at the moment, but hopefully that will change in the future.

As for a new version of Growl...I'm still leery of purchasing it off the MAS. There are still too many 1-star reviews for me to have confidence in it. If anyone has experience with v1.4 over the old (free) version I'm still running, I'd be curious to hear your impressions.

EDIT: Encountering an odd bug where the installer starts the installation process, then tells me my system has to reboot. I click reboot, and it just boots back up into Lion. I do have Filevault 2 enabled; do I need to turn it off?

EDIT 2: Apparently that is the problem.

I'm not quite sure why you are surprised by the stability, the release is later this month?

coughalot

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
It doesn't works very well. E.g when I installed it didn't gave Sparrow or Dropbox notification but once in a while it works . Slows my system a lot

Although OmniGrowl 4.4.4 and Growl 1.4 is working fine . . .All I wanted was iTunes track change notification and RSS feeds notification.

IMO I'm gonna keep it out of my new ML install :rolleyes:

If you want another reason, don't install GrowlTunes and HISS on ML.... you can kiss goodbye to a shade under 1GB of ram.

csfalcon

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
...The only issues that i have with this update are the changes that they made to "Preview" since i am a grad student and i use this program to take notes on the PDF notes they provide in class...

What are the changes to Preview that you don't like?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
What are the changes to Preview that you don't like?

When doing notes you no longer type to the left of the PDF now it opens a box right on top of where you place the note.

it isn't that bad but it will take time to get used too.

On a side note, has any one noticed that if you leave your MBP open and walk away for awhile till the screen turns off its hard to get the screen to turn back on?

csfalcon

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
When doing notes you no longer type to the left of the PDF now it opens a box right on top of where you place the note.

it isn't that bad but it will take time to get used too.

Ah I see, thanks for the info. Haven't used it first-hand yet.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
so here is an update:

I tried to go back to Lion and wait it out till the GM release. I must have used lion for 10 minutes before i realized i hated it compared to ML and went back.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
so here is an update:

I tried to go back to Lion and wait it out till the GM release. I must have used lion for 10 minutes before i realized i hated it compared to ML and went back.

That's the thing about Mountain Lion, you don't realize how good it is until you go back to Lion. People don't notice the subtle changes right away because they came in expecting huge changes but really, it's just a collection of refined changes to Lion as a whole and that makes it difficult to see its value right away.

randolorian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2011
so here is an update:

What issues bothered you when you went back to Lion?

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
That's the thing about Mountain Lion, you don't realize how good it is until you go back to Lion. People don't notice the subtle changes right away because they came in expecting huge changes but really, it's just a collection of refined changes to Lion as a whole and that makes it difficult to see its value right away.

Is it fair to say that Mountain Lion is to Lion what Snow Leopard was to Leopard? An incremental improvement and upgrade as opposed to full on overhaul?

If so I think that's gonna be Apple's pattern for the future: a shiny new OS followed by an improved consolidation. Not sure how I'd feel about that though.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Is it fair to say that Mountain Lion is to Lion what Snow Leopard was to Leopard? An incremental improvement and upgrade as opposed to full on overhaul?

If so I think that's gonna be Apple's pattern for the future: a shiny new OS followed by an improved consolidation. Not sure how I'd feel about that though.

You don't see the pattern already?

Leopard > Snow Leopard
Lion > Mountain Lion

In addition, Apple have already announced a yearly update schedule like iOS. So, don't expect any more Leopard-type releases with 300+ feature-packed updates.

So, it is likely Apple is going the Intel's "Tick-tock" model based on their current track record. They'll release a full major update with a refinement update in a year after that then switch back to full major. In other words:

Leopard (tick) > Snow Leopard (tock), Lion (tick) > Mountain Lion (tock) > 10.9 (tick).

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
i just found something else i dont like about mountain lion. I send a lot of doc attachments in my email, in lion i would right click then go to attach in email and send it that way, It was very convenient. Now in mountain lion that option is gone in the right click menu and is replaced with "toast it" which when i click toast it nothing happens! So why would they take away a great feature like that!

bananafranco

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2008
Frankfurt
i just found something else i dont like about mountain lion. I send a lot of doc attachments in my email, in lion i would right click then go to attach in email and send it that way, It was very convenient. Now in mountain lion that option is gone in the right click menu and is replaced with "toast it" which when i click toast it nothing happens! So why would they take away a great feature like that!

Think I can help there:

Toast it is usually a menu item installed by Roxio Toast the CD Burning Suite and the feature to attatch a document is somewhat hidden under share:

ScreenShot2012-07-03at94437PM.png

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Now in mountain lion that option is gone in the right click menu and is replaced with "toast it" which when i click toast it nothing happens!

Huh? "Toast it"? What are you running? In Finder, right click, Share=>Email and you've got it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.