PDA

View Full Version : new powerbook hard drive

derajfast
Jul 25, 2005, 02:51 PM
i might buy a new internal hard drive for my powerbook (upgrade from a 60-100)......but i have a few questions for this.....how much would it cost to have apple install it at the genius bar (i dont have apple care), or should i just do it myself (how hard is it..ive built like 2 PCs before so i know how to install one more or less).....how much would you expect a 60gb powerbook hard drive to go for on ebay

eva01
Jul 25, 2005, 02:54 PM
pbfixit.com has walkthrough guides on how to replace the HD in the powerbook, i will be doing this shortly (3 weeks to a month) and it is much cheaper to do ti this way than apple.

killmoms
Jul 25, 2005, 05:29 PM
i might buy a new internal hard drive for my powerbook (upgrade from a 60-100)......but i have a few questions for this.....how much would it cost to have apple install it at the genius bar (i dont have apple care), or should i just do it myself (how hard is it..ive built like 2 PCs before so i know how to install one more or less).....how much would you expect a 60gb powerbook hard drive to go for on ebay
I don't think Apple will do this for you. And if you don't have AppleCare and you're out of the 1-year warranty, there's really no reason not to do it yourself, right? Just find a good guide, sit down with some time to spare, and have a go at it. As for selling the old one, I doubt you'll get too much. Just sell it as a 60GB 2.5" laptop EIDE drive, maybe see what drives like that seem to be going for now.