PDA

View Full Version : [phones] Help Me Decide, Galaxy Nexus now or wait for iPhone 5

Pages : [1] 2

carbonmotion
Jun 30, 2012, 03:01 PM
Help me decide whether I should get a Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean or wait for Apple iPhone 5. My contract expires in 2 mo.

I've owned the first two generations of the iPhone, but I switched to the droid series devices because I went to Verizon.

On the one hand, I'd like to get an iPhone 5 because it has a great camera and beautiful industrial design. It finally has navigation. It is also a global phone, which comes in handy once or twice a year when I travel abroad.

On the other hand, I really like Android's ability to play Flash video because i have to constant watch flash videos for work, I use Google Voice and Gmail religiously, and having played with Jelly Bean this week, I think Google's new voice assistant beat Siri hands down. I also like android's ability to play any kind of video format from memory. Lastly, Google's Navigation is undeniably really great. It's also a lot cheaper compared to an iPhone ($50 on Wirefly).

The downside for getting a Galaxy Nexus is that the camera is awful and the build quality is extremely lacking. It is also not a global phone, so presumably, I will have to buy a GSM Nexus to compensate.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me your opinion and help me think about this purchase. I believe time may be of the essence due to the recent in junction against the Nexus.

Vegastouch
Jun 30, 2012, 03:05 PM
Depends if you want a small screen with an inferior OS or not.

Another thing to think about. The new iPhone comes out in September, or October. The Nexus line will have 5 new devices. One for each carrier in celebration of 5 years of Android phones which is said to be coming in November.

MrKennedy
Jun 30, 2012, 03:06 PM
Wirelessly posted

I, too, am interested in trying out Android with a Nexus device. I'd wait for the next iPhone AND Nexus before deciding. iPhone 4S and Galaxy Nexus are both approaching the 1yr mark and are both set to be replaced by new hardware. If you can wait 2 months to finish your contract, you can wait few more months for the next devices :)

blackhand1001
Jun 30, 2012, 03:10 PM
Get the nexus. The jellybean update is excellent (no lag) and the camera is still decent. Outdoors the pictures are excellent. The video recording and the microphone are top notch too. The build quality is still quite good. It feels solid and there's no creaking. Nothing like the nexus s which I thought felt cheap. It also can take a much worse fall before breaking. Apple products might feel solid but they are not durable at all. I would call that a strike against its build quality. The front camera on the nexus is also much much better than the iphones and iPads. Overall I am extremely happy with my Verizon nexus and would still buy it today even with the newer phones like the s3 out.

ReallyBigFeet
Jun 30, 2012, 03:16 PM
Buy the Nexus. Then sell it when the iPhone 5 hits. You know you'll switch again anyways.

blackhand1001
Jun 30, 2012, 03:20 PM
Buy the Nexus. Then sell it when the iPhone 5 hits. You know you'll switch again anyways.

I think he might end up keeping it. I have this phone for like 8 months now and still don't have the desire to upgrade even with phones like the s3 coming out. I have an iPad 2 but I still ordered the nexus 7. I like and rod 4.1 way more than iOS.

carbonmotion
Jun 30, 2012, 03:20 PM

ROFL, but I suffered through all the crummy versions of Android 1 - 2.3, I feel like I should stay just to enjoy the fruits of my labour that is JB.

PacificBeach
Jun 30, 2012, 03:23 PM
I sold my Galaxy Nexus. Camera is not good at all. The device is very underpowered. IPhone 4S have much better GPU. Also I did not like how the galaxy nexus has google talkfl, google plus messenger and google hangout fragmented over 3 different apps, I don't need 3 different services for free text messages and video chat. I wish google merged these together on the galaxy nexus kinda like apple did with message and facetime.

Ice Cream Sandwich is nice tho! And Jelly bean looks awesome! I would wait for iphone5 or then new tegra powered nexus LTE

carbonmotion
Jun 30, 2012, 03:25 PM
I sold my Galaxy Nexus. Camera is not good at all. The device is very underpowered. IPhone 4S have much better GPU. Ice Cream Sandwich is nice tho! And Jelly bean looks awesome! I would wait for iphone5 or then new tegra powered nexus LTE

I wonder if they're going to come out with that soon, my contract expires in August.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 30, 2012, 03:26 PM
I would wait atleast until Apple shows the actual hardware. Then make a choice.

blackhand1001
Jun 30, 2012, 03:26 PM
I sold my Galaxy Nexus. Camera is not good at all. The device is very underpowered. IPhone 4S have much better GPU. Ice Cream Sandwich is nice tho! And Jelly bean looks awesome! I would wait for iphone5 or then new tegra powered nexus LTE
The 4s also has a much slower CPU. With jellybean its butter smooth. Everything is fast a lag free. The browser is also miles ahead of iOS's.

carbonmotion
Jun 30, 2012, 03:28 PM
I would wait atleast until Apple shows the actual hardware. Then make a choice.

That sounds like a sensible hedge, however, I'm worried that the injunction will reduce the supply of GN.

----------

The 4s also has a much slower CPU. With jellybean its butter smooth. Everything is fast a lag free. The browser is also miles ahead of iOS's.

Having used both devices on trips and such, I can say that the 4s more stable and the industrial design is supreme. GN does crash from time to time randomly but its rare.

Kyrra
Jun 30, 2012, 03:28 PM
FYI, Flash is no longer supported on Android (starting with Jelly Bean): http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3125219/flash-mobile-android-4-1-not-supported

carbonmotion
Jun 30, 2012, 03:31 PM
FYI, Flash is no longer supported on Android (starting with Jelly Bean): http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3125219/flash-mobile-android-4-1-not-supported

The deadline is 8/15, so that's another reason for me to get it now...

Adobe says that it will be disabling fresh installs from Google Play on August 15th, meaning you'll only be able to update after that point if you already have it installed

ixodes
Jun 30, 2012, 03:35 PM
Help me decide whether I should get a Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean or wait for Apple iPhone 5.
Thanks to Steve Jobs unbridled hatred towards Google, and any other company he felt like targeting, Apple remains on course (even after his death) to wipe out the competition by any means.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15155805&postcount=1

Then in the spirit of a great dictatorship, we will no longer have a choice. The only phone on the market will be the iPhone.

Following along with the naming convention established with the MacBook Pro, and now the iPad, the new iPhone will not have a number, it will simply be called "iPhone". The best choice, is no choice.

Just think how easy it will be. No stressing over what to buy, no worry about choosing a brand, model or color. Just lineup at the Apple store, lay down your money and walk out with the same thing everyone else has. Oh and by the way? They will all be silver.

mbell1975
Jun 30, 2012, 03:36 PM
Get the Nexus and install JB

onthecouchagain
Jun 30, 2012, 03:51 PM
If you're a heavy gmail user as I am, the decision is very simple. Mail on ios is incredibly cumbersome especially if you have multiple accounts. Having to navigate into and out of accounts is slow and quite obnoxious. Whereas gmail allows switching to a different account from a simple pull down menu. Gmail also gives full threaded messages. In ios the inbox and sent messages are separated.

Other factors play into it too like the ability to attach and send anything you like. Also, the keyboard is a major factor when it comes to mail (and other keyboard use in general). The keyboard on ics is infinitely better than iOS and it looks like its going to get even better with jelly bean. The fact that there's no indication of any improvements to the iOS keyboard from apple is really testing my tolerance of apples intentionally small incremental update philosophies.

These factors alone would make the decision for me. Then you take into account all the other benefits of ics/jb and the price if the device ($350 unlocked at the moment), it should seal the deal. sure you lose out on the camera but it isn't like the camera is bad on the nexus.

Vegastouch
Jun 30, 2012, 04:00 PM

True, After Aug 15th you cant get flash in the market any longer. Adobe said their future is going to be HTML 5. So that will be next.

Frankied22
Jun 30, 2012, 04:09 PM
I ordered the unlocked Galaxy Nexus and plan on installing JB. $349 for an awesome unlocked phone with stock android and Google updates is a steal. From all the reviews I have seen of JB, it makes the Nexus an awesome device. Project Butter has made it incredibly smooth. Also, Google Now looks much quicker and more useful than Siri.

Go with the Nexus. We all know the next iPhone won't be bigger than 4'; and it will more than likely be stretched taller, not wider and taller. As for iOS 6, what we have seen so far will probably be it. We may get NFC on the next iPhone which could make some feature exclusive on it. But I wouldn't expect anything amazing.

blairh
Jun 30, 2012, 04:32 PM
I ordered the unlocked Galaxy Nexus and plan on installing JB. $349 for an awesome unlocked phone with stock android and Google updates is a steal. From all the reviews I have seen of JB, it makes the Nexus an awesome device. Project Butter has made it incredibly smooth. Also, Google Now looks much quicker and more useful than Siri.

Go with the Nexus. We all know the next iPhone won't be bigger than 4'; and it will more than likely be stretched taller, not wider and taller. As for iOS 6, what we have seen so far will probably be it. We may get NFC on the next iPhone which could make some feature exclusive on it. But I wouldn't expect anything amazing.

Aren't you coming from the One X? Have you seen the GNex screen in person? The difference in quality between the One X and GNex screen is night and day.

Mac.World
Jun 30, 2012, 04:54 PM
The deadline is 8/15, so that's another reason for me to get it now...

Even if you buy the GNex now and you plan to upgrade to 4.1, it makes no difference. 4.1 does not support Flash and has not been tested with Flash. Even Adobe has said results of using Flash on a Nexus phone with 4.1 may produce 'unpredictable' results.

Add to this the upcoming injunction of the GNex, the possibility of a GNex2 in a couple of months, plus you still have 2 months left on contract - I would wait to see how everything plays out with the new iphone, ios6, Android 4.1, gnex2, the injunction and lawsuits.
You have a 2 year committment to think about and a lot of issues will be resolved or be on a clear path over the next 2 months to allow you to make a more well informed decision. Of course, this is just my opinion and what I would do in your shoes. Personally, I think the GNEx is a good device, but will probably make you regret getting it once the iPhone 5 and GNex 2 come out, not to mention the S3 that just came out and a really nice phone too.

Broph
Jun 30, 2012, 04:59 PM
Go with the GNex, the build quality isn't as bad as you make it seem - it's actually handy having plastic if you were to drop it; it will just dent / scratch.

Also, if flash video is important for your job - well, that says it all right there.

blackhand1001
Jun 30, 2012, 05:02 PM
Even if you buy the GNex now and you plan to upgrade to 4.1, it makes no difference. 4.1 does not support Flash and has not been tested with Flash. Even Adobe has said results of using Flash on a Nexus phone with 4.1 may produce 'unpredictable' results.

Add to this the upcoming injunction of the GNex, the possibility of a GNex2 in a couple of months, plus you still have 2 months left on contract - I would wait to see how everything plays out with the new iphone, ios6, Android 4.1, gnex2, the injunction and lawsuits.
You have a 2 year committment to think about and a lot of issues will be resolved or be on a clear path over the next 2 months to allow you to make a more well informed decision. Of course, this is just my opinion and what I would do in your shoes. Personally, I think the GNEx is a good device, but will probably make you regret getting it once the iPhone 5 and GNex 2 come out, not to mention the S3 that just came out and a really nice phone too.

Flash still works on 4.1. Adobe just doesn't wanna spend the resources to certify it.

ReallyBigFeet
Jun 30, 2012, 05:17 PM
ROFL, but I suffered through all the crummy versions of Android 1 - 2.3, I feel like I should stay just to enjoy the fruits of my labour that is JB.

You may have misunderstood my comment.

Buy the Nexus now. If the injunction sticks, I'm sure it will be lifted sometime soon. When two elephants are dancing in the room, everything gets wrecked but they both still leave as elephants. In the meantime, you'll have an impossible-to-get phone that is likely worth more than you paid for it. Then you can sell it and get the iPhone 5 should you so choose. Or not. But I'm betting you will not because I'm saying you are an Apple fan, but more because you strike me as someone who is going to be attracted to the latest and greatest. By the time the iPhone 5 hits, the Nexus is going to be "old and busted" and the iPhone 5 will be the "new sexy." Just how the lifecycle of tech ownership goes, has nothing to do with Apple vs. Android.

Demographically speaking....if you don't care about having the latest and greatest, you likely wouldn't be posting here. :)

Sith Vol
Jun 30, 2012, 05:52 PM
I just ordered a Nexus from Google Play...$349 unlocked is a heck of a deal. Still gonna keep my 4S. Probably switch back and forth. My first Android device.

I'm guessing the order will still go through if it processed?

carbonmotion
Jun 30, 2012, 06:05 PM
if you don't care about having the latest and greatest, you likely wouldn't be posting here. :)

That's probably the truth.

Frankied22
Jun 30, 2012, 06:43 PM
Aren't you coming from the One X? Have you seen the GNex screen in person? The difference in quality between the One X and GNex screen is night and day.

I did try out the HTC One X for a couple weeks. Unfortunately, I did nit like Sense nor the crap way HTC did multitasking on the phone. It had aggressive app killing in the background which meant every time I was jumping back into an app it was reloading. Or every time I reopened the browser the tabs would reload. It was a worse multitasking experience than the iPhone. I know I could have probably rooted it and installed a custom ROM but whatever. The screen was really nice though. It definitely beats the Nexus and SGIII.

But for $349 ill take the unlocked nexus with a pure Google experience.

blairh
Jun 30, 2012, 07:12 PM
I did try out the HTC One X for a couple weeks. Unfortunately, I did nit like Sense nor the crap way HTC did multitasking on the phone. It had aggressive app killing in the background which meant every time I was jumping back into an app it was reloading. Or every time I reopened the browser the tabs would reload. It was a worse multitasking experience than the iPhone. I know I could have probably rooted it and installed a custom ROM but whatever. The screen was really nice though. It definitely beats the Nexus and SGIII.

But for $349 ill take the unlocked nexus with a pure Google experience.

Yes, multitasking is a joke on the One X. HTC should be ashamed of themselves.

Have you used a GNex before? The difference between the GNex screen and One X is huge. Even as an iPhone 4 user, which doesn't have as nice a screen as the One X, I could never use the GNex screen.

ghost115
Jun 30, 2012, 07:21 PM
Wait for the iPhone you don't want an android that will become outdated in a couple of months

nfl46
Jun 30, 2012, 07:40 PM

This...is what I'm doing.

BrandonZ
Jun 30, 2012, 09:01 PM
I was in this same situation. I ended up buying the galaxy nexus and I got it a few days ago. At first I was thrilled but things like battery life being pretty average not anywhere near my current iPhone 4. Today I unplugged at 10 am and it was dead by 8:30 pm. That is with no push or fetching email or any other apps. Just twitter a few photos and web surfing. Then the screen. I know it HD but I really just can't get used to it. The oversaturated colors just bug my eyes and its very grainy. It's a nice phone but I think I'm gonna return it. I guess the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Technarchy
Jun 30, 2012, 09:11 PM
This...is what I'm doing.

The hit you'll take on depreciation won't make it worth it.

Mac.World
Jun 30, 2012, 09:20 PM
I was in this same situation. I ended up buying the galaxy nexus and I got it a few days ago. At first I was thrilled but things like battery life being pretty average not anywhere near my current iPhone 4. Today I unplugged at 10 am and it was dead by 8:30 pm. That is with no push or fetching email or any other apps. Just twitter a few photos and web surfing. Then the screen. I know it HD but I really just can't get used to it. The oversaturated colors just bug my eyes and its very grainy. It's a nice phone but I think I'm gonna return it. I guess the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

This is the problem when many iPhone users switch to an Android phone that isn't anywhere near the pixel density of the iphone. It can be super duper HD AMOLED, but if it is a 800x480 on a 4.x" screen, it will look granulated and crappy compared to the iPhones retina display. With the HTC One X and Samsung S3 screen resolution won't be a problem, but preference for color and saturation will come in to play. In my opinion, these are the only 2 Android phones on the market that could be considered 4S replacements.

ReallyBigFeet
Jun 30, 2012, 09:37 PM

Sure it will. Say, worse case, you end up buying for $400 and selling for $200 in 6 months. That amounts to a "rental" payment of around $35 per month to have the bragging rights to the latest and greatest of X (whatever X tends to be). This is nothing to a true gadget freak. I piss away that much in gas taxes every month.

PeopleTheseDays
Jun 30, 2012, 09:40 PM
This is the problem when many iPhone users switch to an Android phone that isn't anywhere near the pixel density of the iphone. It can be super duper HD AMOLED, but if it is a 800x480 on a 4.x" screen, it will look granulated and crappy compared to the iPhones retina display. With the HTC One X and Samsung S3 screen resolution won't be a problem, but preference for color and saturation will come in to play. In my opinion, these are the only 2 Android phones on the market that could be considered 4S replacements.

Actually, HD AMOLED means 1280 x 720 resolution on a 4.65 inch screen on the Nexus. It's 316 pip vs 329 ppi on the iphone. I guess you can argue there is a discernible difference, but that may just be d*** measuring contest.

It's really the pentile arrangement on flat white/lighter colors that has a weird "mura" effect (which can get annoying from personal experience), but other than that, for most things, such as text, it's not granulated/crappy.

nfl46
Jun 30, 2012, 10:13 PM

How so? As long as I get $200 or more on my Nexus by October, I'm good. I have a 2-year full upgrade to use on the new iPhone. Heck, I may even keep my Nexus when the new iPhone comes out and just pay $200 out my pocket for it. I may do that and swap sim cards back and forth. I like the whole Jelly Bean experience.

Mac.World
Jun 30, 2012, 10:36 PM
Actually, HD AMOLED means 1280 x 720 resolution on a 4.65 inch screen on the Nexus. It's 316 pip vs 329 ppi on the iphone. I guess you can argue there is a discernible difference, but that may just be d*** measuring contest.

It's really the pentile arrangement on flat white/lighter colors that has a weird "mura" effect (which can get annoying from personal experience), but other than that, for most things, such as text, it's not granulated/crappy.

Doh. I must have used the S2 specs. That screen looks granulated. My mistake and apologies for the bad info.

luked14
Jun 30, 2012, 11:35 PM
Doh. I must have used the S2 specs. That screen looks granulated. My mistake and apologies for the bad info.

I had the GNex for about a week and it definitely had a grainy look to the screen. It was especially noticeable with white and gray backgrounds.

gladoscc
Jun 30, 2012, 11:45 PM
Nexus is INCREDIBLE. Apple needs to step up their game.

Vegastouch
Jul 1, 2012, 12:48 AM
Yes, multitasking is a joke on the One X. HTC should be ashamed of themselves.

Have you used a GNex before? The difference between the GNex screen and One X is huge. Even as an iPhone 4 user, which doesn't have as nice a screen as the One X, I could never use the GNex screen.

Dude the PPI on a Gnex is 316 and the iPhone is 326. Not everyone has the screen as their number one priority. Sure it isnt quite as nice as the GS3 even because the GS3 is a HD screen with a higher resolution but im sure it looks just fine. I think my Galaxy S screen looks fine but the new ones will look even better.
I love the look of sense and the One X but the multitasking problem and no micro card slot is more important to me than their screen being the best. That Nexus deal for $349 is good since it already has JB. I have thought about it myself but since the GS3 is getting JB in Q4, ill stick with that. The GS3 with JB is going to be a awesome device.

mbell1975
Jul 1, 2012, 01:24 AM

You can't compare battery life of a Nexus with a large, HD display running on 4G to an iPhone with a tiny display on 3G.

BrandonZ
Jul 1, 2012, 05:34 AM
You can't compare battery life of a Nexus with a large, HD display running on 4G to an iPhone with a tiny display on 3G.

It's just personal preference. Nothing more. I thought I would like all the options and messing about with androind but I've learned that I prefer the uniformity I'd iOS a little more. I don't want to have to worry about plugging my phone in twice a day or carry a extra battery with me. The phone is great but I just prefer the iPhone which even surprised me.

Calidude
Jul 1, 2012, 08:22 AM
If you can stomach waiting for the iPhone 5, just wait for the next Nexus phone from Google.

ugahairydawgs
Jul 1, 2012, 08:35 AM

The unlocked Nexus runs on the same "4G" networks as the iPhone.

blairh
Jul 1, 2012, 09:13 AM
Dude the PPI on a Gnex is 316 and the iPhone is 326. Not everyone has the screen as their number one priority. Sure it isnt quite as nice as the GS3 even because the GS3 is a HD screen with a higher resolution but im sure it looks just fine. I think my Galaxy S screen looks fine but the new ones will look even better.
I love the look of sense and the One X but the multitasking problem and no micro card slot is more important to me than their screen being the best. That Nexus deal for $349 is good since it already has JB. I have thought about it myself but since the GS3 is getting JB in Q4, ill stick with that. The GS3 with JB is going to be a awesome device.

You and I need to stop our panel discussions. It's the same thing over and over again. In fact I'm probably going to stop bringing up how bad the GNex and other Android screens are because I get inevitable defenses of them. I'll just keep my mouth shut regarding Amoled moving forward on here.

PPI on the GNex does little to combat the poor whites and overall dimness it produces. I'm no fan of the SIII screen for those reasons but the GNex is even worse.

Amoled screens are just inferior to IPS for how most people use them to do on their smartphones. Yes, that is just my opinion. But it's echoed by many.

I think most consumers deem their smartphone screen as a top if not the top priority.

utahman130
Jul 1, 2012, 09:18 AM
If you want the Nexus, buy it now because it's banned.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/258637/no_sales_of_galaxy_nexus_in_us_for_now.html

cynics
Jul 1, 2012, 09:51 AM

But the CDMA version is LTE which the iphone is yet capable of. And with verizon this is a big deal because their 3g network is so lousy.

----------

Personally I'd probably wait until Oct and compare the new iPhone to the new nexus device. By then Android will be on version 5.x using all the goodies from ICS and JB. But the current nexus should still get Android 5.x assuming it is released less then 18 month from when the Samsung Galaxy Nexus was released.

Satnam1989
Jul 1, 2012, 09:59 AM
With Android people are all about "how many cores you got?" lol honestly the Galaxy Nexus is a Amazing phone....life is not all about bench marks because truth be told there is no android device that actually takes full advantage of the multi-core processors (can't speak for Jelly bean yet as I haven't tried, or read much about it). The Games on Android if they truly made use of Multi-Core processors would have been AMAZING but they are just OK....

I just recently traded my old iPhone 4 for a Galaxy Nexus to have it along with my iPhone 4S (bc i can't give it up due to the app quantity and quality being my main factor) It is truly a solid phone and having the Stock Android ICS UI is a bonus because I hate all the bloatware and launchers manufacturers like Samsung, HTC and Motorolla slap on which sure does make the phone more appealing but also slows boggs down the phone to some degree. Sure the SGSIII is a "Quad-Core" but I bet the full power isn't even going to get used 1) not any real apps that would take full advantage of the Multi-Core processor 2) Your battery will die before you even use the full power of it 3) Spec's aren't everything.

Those that say "Upgrade coming soon and wait for the Quad-Core Nexus"....cores are just numbers....Learn something apple....its not about the number of Core you have...its about what you can do with the ones you have....which apple clearly shows over and over by sticking to Chips that have been far surpassed by android offerings yet they lack sales because their "Cores" can't deliver what users want but I also understand lots of things factor in such as the App real-estate, Google limiting/not providing enough support to make apps be better etc.

Based on the iPad 3 I HIGHLY doubt the iPhone 5/6 is going to get Quad-Core because its not a necessity as they already have the formula to achieve what Android Hardware makers show off with Quad-Core with a Dual-Core enhanced such as A5X processor that being said the Galaxy Nexus with its Dual-Core Processor and 1GB Ram is PRETTY SOLID for the next couple of years at minimum considering the Nexus S is still living on with ICS...maybe even getting Jelly bean but I am not sure about that, Oh and you can always OverClock the Galaxy NEXUS to higher CPU down the road should you feel its not fast enough.

So OP go for it, you will enjoy it for the short time that you will keep it before jumping back to the iOS on the new iPhone.

ugahairydawgs
Jul 1, 2012, 10:07 AM
But the CDMA version is LTE which the iphone is yet capable of. And with verizon this is a big deal because their 3g network is so lousy.

----------

Personally I'd probably wait until Oct and compare the new iPhone to the new nexus device. By then Android will be on version 5.x using all the goodies from ICS and JB. But the current nexus should still get Android 5.x assuming it is released less then 18 month from when the Samsung Galaxy Nexus was released.

Understand..but OP was asking about the GSM Nexus.

cynics
Jul 1, 2012, 10:11 AM
With Android people are all about "how many cores you got?" lol honestly the Galaxy Nexus is a Amazing phone....life is not all about bench marks because truth be told there is no android device that actually takes full advantage of the multi-core processors (can't speak for Jelly bean yet as I haven't tried, or read much about it). The Games on Android if they truly made use of Multi-Core processors would have been AMAZING but they are just OK....

I just recently traded my old iPhone 4 for a Galaxy Nexus to have it along with my iPhone 4S (bc i can't give it up due to the app quantity and quality being my main factor) It is truly a solid phone and having the Stock Android ICS UI is a bonus because I hate all the bloatware and launchers manufacturers like Samsung, HTC and Motorolla slap on which sure does make the phone more appealing but also slows boggs down the phone to some degree. Sure the SGSIII is a "Quad-Core" but I bet the full power isn't even going to get used 1) not any real apps that would take full advantage of the Multi-Core processor 2) Your battery will die before you even use the full power of it 3) Spec's aren't everything.

Those that say "Upgrade coming soon and wait for the Quad-Core Nexus"....cores are just numbers....Learn something apple....its not about the number of Core you have...its about what you can do with the ones you have....which apple clearly shows over and over by sticking to Chips that have been far surpassed by android offerings yet they lack sales because their "Cores" can't deliver what users want but I also understand lots of things factor in such as the App real-estate, Google limiting/not providing enough support to make apps be better etc.

Based on the iPad 3 I HIGHLY doubt the iPhone 5/6 is going to get Quad-Core because its not a necessity as they already have the formula to achieve what Android Hardware makers show off with Quad-Core with a Dual-Core enhanced such as A5X processor that being said the Galaxy Nexus with its Dual-Core Processor and 1GB Ram is PRETTY SOLID for the next couple of years at minimum considering the Nexus S is still living on with ICS...maybe even getting Jelly bean but I am not sure about that, Oh and you can always OverClock the Galaxy NEXUS to higher CPU down the road should you feel its not fast enough.

So OP go for it, you will enjoy it for the short time that you will keep it before jumping back to the iOS on the new iPhone.

For the most part I agree with you but there are a couple of points I could debate. Cores with android, yes software optimization is more important but keep in mind some of the things that are done with android, like running video game emulators, video encoding etc. A lot of apps are designed to run off multi core processors like MX player off the top of my head.....

I also think Apple will try to keep on the higher end of hardware when so maybe nit with the iPhone 5/6 but with the 5s/6s. They can future proof their products that way and keep older devices updated....

Off our subject but just thinking about it. I like the way Google does its updates. The Nexus S has the same software the Galaxy Nexus has (unlike the 4 compared to the 4S iPhone). If OTA updates are that important too you get a Nexus device. Even the Xoom is getting Jelly Bean with everything that is included with it....

nickchallis92
Jul 1, 2012, 10:26 AM

I've said it before and i'll say it again

Why is it relevant if iOS is more efficient with the cores it has?

At the end of the day, you base your user experience on what the screen displays. If android is super smooth on a quad-core proccessor then great. From a consumer's point of view, they don't need to know what is running underneath, if it works, it works!

Also, recent smartphones have a better battery life than the dual-core 4s anyway, so please tell me the problem?

Satnam1989
Jul 1, 2012, 11:14 AM

At the end of the day, you base your user experience on what the screen displays. If android is super smooth on a quad-core proccessor then great. From a consumer's point of view, they don't need to know what is running underneath, if it works, it works!

Also, recent smartphones have a better battery life than the dual-core 4s anyway, so please tell me the problem?

Why is iOS more efficient? well ask apple, bc they have yet to find a reason to slap on a Quad-Core processor even in a Tablet (iPad 3) in 2012 but yet a Good portion of Android hardware manufactures thought it was mandatory when there are no dedicated apps available that actually make a use of the Multi-Core processor especially as high as Quad-Core....maybe you can go ask both sides, but I'm not a technical guru when it comes to software and hardware at coding level or anything like that, my experience is based on UI, apps that work and how efficiently they work (without crashing) and how well the device works when switching between apps(AKA Multitasking). iOS I have found to work very well, Android now is too getting better but I don't think there is need for number of processors to increase just yet. We all know Android has LOTS of work to do and thats the problem, the OS doesn't improve as drastically but yet spec's keep going out the roof. Its not all about the hardware because Software is what drives it so it has to be right....

Simple example:
GTA III on Galaxy S II T989 required me to install/modify settings to just get the street lights/Car lights to display yet it's Running a Dual-Core 1.5GHz processor that too with lag...I don't OC my devices...stock is what does the trick for me.

My iPhone 4 at the time...800MHz Single-Core....same graphics chip (if I'm correct) as iPhone 3GS....all settings worked out of the box? Why is that? can you explain? I'm sure that goes to say iOS is more efficient and optimized than Android has been/Is.

Also Why is it that in 2012 numerous Android Hardware manufacturers are still announcing phones that are only running Gingerbread....2.3.x....? even those DUAL-CORE phones that saw light of day well before iPhone 4S and even now are still stuck on it...a lot of which have no hope/word of receiving official update.....(Custom ROM's don't count)

Unlike android at least Microsoft finally announced that they are going to add support for Multi-Core processors....I don't ever recall Google making that announcement (unless I missed it then my mistake)

As for better battery life....really? they have better battery life? you call it better battery life when the battery is anywhere from 200-600mAh larger than the iPhone 4S.....thats not better, its just adding a bigger fuel tank to a gas guzzling car and saying HEY THIS CAR GIVES 1000+ miles than any other.

Show me a Dual-Core Phone with 1430mAh battery that gets same battery life, same features as iPhone 4S (not exactly but close as possible) please do so.

Despite all this I love my Android phones just has much as my iPhone and only hope for improvements. because they let me get play around with things like Root, installed wacked out apps like "WiFi Kill" and thats about it really.

----------

For the most part I agree with you but there are a couple of points I could debate. Cores with android, yes software optimization is more important but keep in mind some of the things that are done with android, like running video game emulators, video encoding etc. A lot of apps are designed to run off multi core processors like MX player off the top of my head.....

I also think Apple will try to keep on the higher end of hardware when so maybe nit with the iPhone 5/6 but with the 5s/6s. They can future proof their products that way and keep older devices updated....

Off our subject but just thinking about it. I like the way Google does its updates. The Nexus S has the same software the Galaxy Nexus has (unlike the 4 compared to the 4S iPhone). If OTA updates are that important too you get a Nexus device. Even the Xoom is getting Jelly Bean with everything that is included with it....

Ya when it comes to Android if you want truly the best, you can bet on the Nexus Series because Updates actually are quiet important to be honest, its what keeps the phone going. If its going to take you a year to get a single update...then its not your moneys worth unless one happens to have tons of time on their hands to be slapping on custom ROM's all the time.

Also Android isn't fully optimized yet and as for emulators...I personally never ran a emulator on any of my Android devices...and I feel we can agree that at least 60%(if not more) of the people probably won't run emulators either....I do however do lots of emailing, calls, texts, IM's (Whatsapp, KiK Messenger, Vonage Mobile, Skype, Live Profile), Watching Video's(movies in all formats), Doing School work related things (Doc's, PDF reading/Annotating), and occasionally playing games...in this sense I am a heavy user of all the features that it can offer.

I'm actually pretty disappointed with the Google Play Store as well, the apps need to be more organized, better in quality, better optimized and they should put the leg down on what type/kind of apps can be submitted to the Play Store so that useless and virus/infected apps don't end up in the app store. As well as "Fremimum apps"...Most apps on Android contain Ad's...that too a lot of them don't have the "Remove Ad's" option available.....Sure if people still want to download apps then developers that make custom things can make a store like Cydia where people can download and install everything customized/junk related that they wish (would/could be like a loophole) to do so. It would provide a great improvement to Android overall experience.

I didn't notice a File manger app in ICS....can anyone point to me on the Galaxy Nexus running ICS where it can be found?

onthecouchagain
Jul 1, 2012, 11:28 AM
As for better battery life....really? they have better battery life? you call it better battery life when the battery is anywhere from 200-600mAh larger than the iPhone 4S.....thats not better, its just adding a bigger fuel tank to a gas guzzling car and saying HEY THIS CAR GIVES 1000+ miles than any other.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/545/OpoQQ.jpg

Vegastouch
Jul 1, 2012, 11:56 AM
You and I need to stop our panel discussions. It's the same thing over and over again. In fact I'm probably going to stop bringing up how bad the GNex and other Android screens are because I get inevitable defenses of them. I'll just keep my mouth shut regarding Amoled moving forward on here.

The problem isnt "you and i". You keep saying how awful to the screens are to others. I am not the only one who disagrees with you on that and im just saying not everyone puts a priority on how the screen looks with how you like it. You dont like the black contrast and prefer the whites turned all the way up which washes out the other colors imo.

You asked a guy how he could go with a GNex after he tried the One X because the screen is better. Well, he let you know. Its not everyones priority.

PPI on the GNex does little to combat the poor whites and overall dimness it produces. I'm no fan of the SIII screen for those reasons but the GNex is even worse.

Yes we know, and the GNex doesnt have the resolution the GS3 has so it isnt quite as good but the vast majority of people like it(the GS3 screen) very much.

Amoled screens are just inferior to IPS for how most people use them to do on their smartphones. Yes, that is just my opinion. But it's echoed by many.

Your opinion, that you are again repeating and its not echoed my "many". Really its just a few.
I think most consumers deem their smartphone screen as a top if not the top priority.

Im seeing the size of the screen more a priority than anything else. Most would agree that the HTC X screen is the best but most agree the GS3 screen looks great too and are buying it because of other reasons.

Ive stated my reasons. HTC messed up imo with what would be a awesome device. For T-Mobile they made the One S and it has a 4.3", which i think is a good size screen and it doesnt have the better resolution that the One X has but it still looks good. But no microslot, and no removable battery for either which is too bad. And the multitasking issue is too bad as well.

mbell1975
Jul 1, 2012, 12:00 PM

http://static.stickam.com/media/image/converted/player/1757/0130/4/735471cf-5ee1-11de-a61d-852fda158ece.jpg

aPple nErd
Jul 1, 2012, 12:02 PM
go for the iPhone 5. i think you will be a lot happier in iOS. some android phones are good to but i think iOS is still way better. but get the phone you like/want :)

frank.deale
Jul 1, 2012, 12:02 PM
I have the Galaxy Nexus and my daughter has 4S. I think he 4S is still a smoother OS which may no longer be the case when I get JB. But the ability to customize the Nexus trumps all, in my view. Its amazing what one can do with this phone.

Technarchy
Jul 1, 2012, 12:29 PM
Get the GNEX because your regret posts later will be funnier.

onthecouchagain
Jul 1, 2012, 12:29 PM
I have the Galaxy Nexus and my daughter has 4S. I think he 4S is still a smoother OS which may no longer be the case when I get JB. But the ability to customize the Nexus trumps all, in my view. Its amazing what one can do with this phone.

And what's great about customizing the phone is that afterwards, it truly feels like your phone, catered and organized specifically to your liking. And it isn't only about aesthetics. Customizing your phone does improve usability.

Flexibility is a great feeling.

blairh
Jul 1, 2012, 12:41 PM
The problem isnt "you and i". You keep saying how awful to the screens are to others. I am not the only one who disagrees with you on that and im just saying not everyone puts a priority on how the screen looks with how you like it. You dont like the black contrast and prefer the whites turned all the way up which washes out the other colors imo.

You asked a guy how he could go with a GNex after he tried the One X because the screen is better. Well, he let you know. Its not everyones priority.

Yes we know, and the GNex doesnt have the resolution the GS3 has so it isnt quite as good but the vast majority of people like it(the GS3 screen) very much.

Your opinion, that you are again repeating and its not echoed my "many". Really its just a few.

Im seeing the size of the screen more a priority than anything else. Most would agree that the HTC X screen is the best but most agree the GS3 screen looks great too and are buying it because of other reasons.

Ive stated my reasons. HTC messed up imo with what would be a awesome device. For T-Mobile they made the One S and it has a 4.3", which i think is a good size screen and it doesnt have the better resolution that the One X has but it still looks good. But no microslot, and no removable battery for either which is too bad. And the multitasking issue is too bad as well.

I can't stress how wrong you are with what I've put in bold. Seriously, it's amazing that you are willing to proclaim that my assertion that most people would prefer an IPS panel (and specifically the One X screen) as being 'a few'. You cannot be more wrong. Not only are most professional positive reviews of the SIII conceding that the One X screen is superior, I see it CONSTANTLY in the comments sections of YouTube and in forums like The Verge and the like. I can't possibly tell you how many times I've read someone proclaiming that the One X screen is superior to SIII's or that LCD on the whole is superior to Amoled. In contrast I've seen the opposite stated rarely. I honestly have no desire to continue this back and forth. You keep saying the same thing. If you like your Amoled screens, so be it. Goes for everybody else on this forum too. But spare me this garbage that my opinion is a minority one.

I'm not going to comment anymore on the GNex or SIII screen. It appears you feel the need to reply that I'm wrong or that not everybody finds screen quality to be an important factor (which again I disagree with). It's an exhausting back and forth that leads us absolutely nowhere. I will never purchase a smartphone with an Amoled screen. I think said screens are that terrible in contrast to what IPS has to offer. End of story. You disagree, feel differently, so be it. But I'm done with this debate and will not be making any more comments on MRF about how poorly I feel Amoled's perform. Goodbye.

SteveU30
Jul 1, 2012, 12:50 PM
No one is going to be getting a Nexus in the states for a while: http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/29/apple-lands-preliminary-ban-against-samsung-galaxy-nexus/

Phokus
Jul 1, 2012, 12:58 PM
According to rumor, Google is going to expand the play store for 4 or 5 nexus devices, i think around november. I'd wait till then.

Technarchy
Jul 1, 2012, 01:02 PM
The GNEX screen is horrendous. No way to spin it. It sucks really bad even by AMOLED standards.

Satnam1989
Jul 1, 2012, 01:21 PM
Some things I can't find in ICS currently on Gnex:

1) File Manger....
2) Rotation lock...is there one? if so how do I get to it?

Thanks guys

onthecouchagain
Jul 1, 2012, 01:47 PM
Some things I can't find in ICS currently on Gnex:

1) File Manger....
2) Rotation lock...is there one? if so how do I get to it?

Thanks guys

1) Try Astro from the Play store. It's free. It's great.
2) Settings, Display, "Auto Rotate Screen"

Calidude
Jul 1, 2012, 02:01 PM
Get the GNEX because your regret posts later will be funnier.
Sitting here at home with my Gnex with zero regrets at all. $400 bucks well spent.

I might sell it and get the next-gen Nexus phone but for now, this little guy is chugging along just fine.

----------

I've looked into this a lot and I've come to the conclusion that File Expert and Solid Explorer are the best file managers.

nfl46
Jul 1, 2012, 02:50 PM
The GNEX screen is horrendous. No way to spin it. It sucks really bad even by AMOLED standards.

DEFINITELY not true! Its actually pretty nice for a 4.65" screen! Unless I'm blind or something, it looks pretty good to me, especially for such a large screen.

moldy912
Jul 1, 2012, 03:06 PM
If you still have two months, definitely wait the extra half month or so to get the new iPhone. Hopefully it will have things like NFC, a larger screen, and a gorgeous new look that will be hard to pass up on.

Technarchy
Jul 1, 2012, 04:10 PM
DEFINITELY not true! Its actually pretty nice for a 4.65" screen! Unless I'm blind or something, it looks pretty good to me, especially for such a large screen.

Then you must be blind. I wrote a review on another forum when I first laid hands on the GNEX and compared it to the Sprint GS2, and the GS2 screen was flat out better.

It's a ****** screen, period. The one thing it had going for it was that it was slightly brighter than all previous AMOLED screens I'd seen, but still dim by iPhone 4/4S standards. Still, it was a bad screen then and it's an even worse screen now that the Htc One X is available.

That doesn't include the laggy UI, rotten camera, cheap build, 3 year old GPU, and bulky feel in the hand.

nfl46
Jul 1, 2012, 05:11 PM
Then you must be blind. I wrote a review on another forum when I first laid hands on the GNEX and compared it to the Sprint GS2, and the GS2 screen was flat out better.

It's a ****** screen, period. The one thing it had going for it was that it was slightly brighter than all previous AMOLED screens I'd seen, but still dim by iPhone 4/4S standards. Still, it was a bad screen then and it's an even worse screen now that the Htc One X is available.

That doesn't include the laggy UI, rotten camera, cheap build, 3 year old GPU, and bulky feel in the hand.

Can't be the same phone I have.

And laggy UI? Have you seen the Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean on it? Its quite obvious you haven't. Because my Gnex with 4.1 is FAST!

Speak for yourself, but the GNex I own is awesome, and I am a hardcare Apple fan.

By the way, I had the One X the last two weeks and the screen is nice, but no way the Gnex screen is horrible as you make it sound.

404 tech junkie
Jul 1, 2012, 06:28 PM
Why is iOS more efficient? well ask apple, bc they have yet to find a reason to slap on a Quad-Core processor even in a Tablet (iPad 3) in 2012 but yet a Good portion of Android hardware manufactures thought it was mandatory when there are no dedicated apps available that actually make a use of the Multi-Core processor especially as high as Quad-Core....maybe you can go ask both sides, but I'm not a technical guru when it comes to software and hardware at coding level or anything like that, my experience is based on UI, apps that work and how efficiently they work (without crashing) and how well the device works when switching between apps(AKA Multitasking). iOS I have found to work very well, Android now is too getting better but I don't think there is need for number of processors to increase just yet. We all know Android has LOTS of work to do and thats the problem, the OS doesn't improve as drastically but yet spec's keep going out the roof. Its not all about the hardware because Software is what drives it so it has to be right....

iOS doesn't need higher core counts because the OS isn't designed in a way where that would be advantageous. What I mean is it simply doesn't do as much, and therefore does not require as much. For example, on my GS3, I have an expandable news ticker on my lock screen, that gives me information just by turning my screen on. I also have a weather app that provides me with severe weather alerts for the area that I am currently in. I have a home screen news ticker for the forex market that keeps me abreast of any financial developments that might require me to make a quick move in the market. While all this is running at the same time, I can also have other apps that are able to run in the background doing their various tasks, all without slowing down my device. So for what I am doing on my phone, it makes sense to have a high horsepowered multi-core processor. In iOS this wouldn't happen, therefore there's no need for that type of horsepower. However, if you jailbreak your phone and attempt to do half of the things I do on my phone, you will notice an ostensible slowdown. In summary, as long as iOS remains the way it is, you're right, there won't be any real need for multicore processors. After all, it doesn't require a multi-core processor to run an app drawer. However, if they ever do add an additional level of sophistication, and allow it to become more capable, you too will need additional horsepower to push it.

jdlindsey7
Jul 1, 2012, 07:04 PM

And laggy UI? Have you seen the Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean on it? Its quite obvious you haven't. Because my Gnex with 4.1 is FAST!

Speak for yourself, but the GNex I own is awesome, and I am a hardcare Apple fan.

By the way, I had the One X the last two weeks and the screen is nice, but no way the Gnex screen is horrible as you make it sound.

First, I have to agree that the Galaxy Nexus is no where near laggy. It is as smooth and fast as iOS in my opinin second, the screen is nhave a GNex and it's a great

batting1000
Jul 1, 2012, 07:06 PM
Another example of insecurity. The OP is clearly reluctant to switch, but want's people to tell him to switch so he doesn't feel as bad. The theme we've been seeing around here lately...

jdlindsey7
Jul 1, 2012, 07:07 PM

First, I have to agree that the Galaxy Nexus is no where near laggy. It is as smooth and fast as iOS in my opinin second, the screen is not as clear as the iPhone or ONE X, but it overall large and a joy to use. I own the ONE X, GNEX, and 4s and the 4s is my daily driver but to say the Galaxy Nexus is laggy and the screen is terrible I completely false.

Satnam1989
Jul 1, 2012, 07:22 PM
iOS doesn't need higher core counts because the OS isn't designed in a way where that would be advantageous. What I mean is it simply doesn't do as much, and therefore does not require as much. For example, on my GS3, I have an expandable news ticker on my lock screen, that gives me information just by turning my screen on. I also have a weather app that provides me with severe weather alerts for the area that I am currently in. I have a home screen news ticker for the forex market that keeps me abreast of any financial developments that might require me to make a quick move in the market. While all this is running at the same time, I can also have other apps that are able to run in the background doing their various tasks, all without slowing down my device. So for what I am doing on my phone, it makes sense to have a high horsepowered multi-core processor. In iOS this wouldn't happen, therefore there's no need for that type of horsepower. However, if you jailbreak your phone and attempt to do half of the things I do on my phone, you will notice an ostensible slowdown. In summary, as long as iOS remains the way it is, you're right, there won't be any real need for multicore processors. After all, it doesn't require a multi-core processor to run an app drawer. However, if they ever do add an additional level of sophistication, and allow it to become more capable, you too will need additional horsepower to push it.

I completely understand what you mean, the app never really re-load data until you actually launch it on iPhone despite getting push notifications as thats the only thing that does get through on IM apps, definitely Apple needs to put an end to that part and offer real time Multi-Tasking, thats something I do like about android, when things are active...they are fully active not just idling around but it also does lead to a significant decrease in battery life. However I do think that if the new iPhone gets 1GB RAM(I'm quiet certain it will) should raise the bar for multi-tasking as the apps will stay running/active longer as compared to now.

I support android 100% but it just has lots of cleaning up to do as its main concern with the quality of apps, the Play store needs to be better, number of apps also needs to increase significantly. Google needs to make it so that its appealing to developers and they aim at making Cross-Platform apps from the beginning, not launching on iOS then considering Android afterwards and I think if we can have that, android can do really well...it has a lot of potential.

How much battery life do you get with those 3 things "Active"? My Galaxy Nexus has 1750mAh(just got it few days ago and haven't used it much) but considering the Galaxy S III has 2100....it should last over 24hr?

404 tech junkie
Jul 1, 2012, 07:49 PM
I completely understand what you mean, the app never really re-load data until you actually launch it on iPhone despite getting push notifications as thats the only thing that does get through on IM apps, definitely Apple needs to put an end to that part and offer real time Multi-Tasking, thats something I do like about android, when things are active...they are fully active not just idling around but it also does lead to a significant decrease in battery life. However I do think that if the new iPhone gets 1GB RAM(I'm quiet certain it will) should raise the bar for multi-tasking as the apps will stay running/active longer as compared to now.

I support android 100% but it just has lots of cleaning up to do as its main concern with the quality of apps, the Play store needs to be better, number of apps also needs to increase significantly. Google needs to make it so that its appealing to developers and they aim at making Cross-Platform apps from the beginning, not launching on iOS then considering Android afterwards and I think if we can have that, android can do really well...it has a lot of potential.

How much battery life do you get with those 3 things "Active"? My Galaxy Nexus has 1750mAh(just got it few days ago and haven't used it much) but considering the Galaxy S III has 2100....it should last over 24hr?

You're right, when it comes to multitasking, there is somewhat a trade off. The good thing is, the high-end Android phones have been accouting for that. I have had the Galaxy Nexus (GSM) since it's launch, and I get pretty good battery life. On light usage (and I mean light lol) I have broken the 24 hour mark. With heavy use (3+ hours of calling and 2+ hours of screen time), I get from 12-15 hours on a charge. I now have the Galaxy S3, which seems to have better battery life, but it's too new for me to really say how long my battery is lasting, as I'm still putting it through its paces and testing it. Thus far though, it doesn't seem bad at all. Bear in mind, I use a good bit of multitasking, as I have several different things running (like tickers, exchange, facebook, severe weather alerts, news alerts, etc). A person who doesn't utilize multitasking as much as I do, will get even more battery life.

Satnam1989
Jul 1, 2012, 07:59 PM
You're right, when it comes to multitasking, there is somewhat a trade off. The good thing is, the high-end Android phones have been accouting for that. I have had the Galaxy Nexus (GSM) since it's launch, and I get pretty good battery life. On light usage (and I mean light lol) I have broken the 24 hour mark. With heavy use (3+ hours of calling and 2+ hours of screen time), I get from 12-15 hours on a charge. I now have the Galaxy S3, which seems to have better battery life, but it's too new for me to really say how long my battery is lasting, as I'm still putting it through its paces and testing it. Thus far though, it doesn't seem bad at all. Bear in mind, I use a good bit of multitasking, as I have several different things running (like tickers, exchange, facebook, severe weather alerts, news alerts, etc). A person who doesn't utilize multitasking as much as I do, will get even more battery life.

Thats good, I honestly don't like the look of the S3 they should hav gotten rid of that home button...I love the Nexus's touch buttons, I think they are amazing. Will be using it more once jelly bean comes in officially. For now its just a toy:)

404 tech junkie
Jul 1, 2012, 08:21 PM
Thats good, I honestly don't like the look of the S3 they should hav gotten rid of that home button...I love the Nexus's touch buttons, I think they are amazing. Will be using it more once jelly bean comes in officially. For now its just a toy:)

I agree. The one thing I don't like about the GS3 is the home button. I just am not a fan of physical buttons on the front of the phone. Not to mention, on-screen buttons are much more responsive than a physical button, and more visible in sunlight than capacitive buttons.

Satnam1989
Jul 1, 2012, 09:45 PM
I agree. The one thing I don't like about the GS3 is the home button. I just am not a fan of physical buttons on the front of the phone. Not to mention, on-screen buttons are much more responsive than a physical button, and more visible in sunlight than capacitive buttons.

I'm also not pleased with the graphics chip used in the GS3....Samsung always does good but then cheap out on something, they never deliver THE BEST smartphone really that is truly a blessing to the buyers.

They either cheap out on the:
- Processor (like the other variants of the SGS3-Dual-Core 1.5Ghz)<- Essentially a Galaxy S II with a bigger screen....I doubt there is much difference in the processor and the GPU that is truly noticeable.....
- Mali 400?....Its good but not good enough to be bundled with a 2012 Quad-Core CPU....We expect and Want/need Better Graphics Chip (Also using Adreno in all other variations....really?)
- Screen (Pentile....Not that I'm complaining and almost 99% of the people won't even notice the difference between a true HD screen and a Pentile....

Some features that I mentioned above may not be as important to a good portion of the users but really...quality does matter....and thats one of many reasons why iOS hardware succeeds because when they put in hardware....its the same Quality in the Verizon, AT&T and International versions....(since they do have SLIGHT(Hardly noticeable) variations in hardware)

Vegastouch
Jul 1, 2012, 10:06 PM
I can't stress how wrong you are with what I've put in bold. Seriously, it's amazing that you are willing to proclaim that my assertion that most people would prefer an IPS panel (and specifically the One X screen) as being 'a few'. You cannot be more wrong. Not only are most professional positive reviews of the SIII conceding that the One X screen is superior, I see it CONSTANTLY in the comments sections of YouTube and in forums like The Verge and the like.

I am not talking about reviews, im talking about the people in here who are actually buying these things and/or have tried both. I dont see many at all that say they do not like the GS3 screen and wouldnt buy it because of it. Ive only seen you say that.

I can't possibly tell you how many times I've read someone proclaiming that the One X screen is superior to SIII's or that LCD on the whole is superior to Amoled. In contrast I've seen the opposite stated rarely. I honestly have no desire to continue this back and forth. You keep saying the same thing. If you like your Amoled screens, so be it. Goes for everybody else on this forum too. But spare me this garbage that my opinion is a minority one.

I never once said that the HTC One X screen isnt better. IMO it is a little better, so? What does that have to do with people that still buy it even though a review said the One X screen was better? The GS3 phone overall is better and thats more important to most people.
I dont see why that is so hard to understand. In HERE, yes, your opinion on this is in the minority and if you dont believe it, please show me otherwise....from posters in here who are buying them, not from a reviewer who dont own the phone, they just review it.

I'm not going to comment anymore on the GNex or SIII screen. It appears you feel the need to reply that I'm wrong or that not everybody finds screen quality to be an important factor (which again I disagree with).

Again, what i said is it isnt the most important to everyone. Like the poster who boought a GNex aftr taking back the One X and you couldnt believe it.
So show me otherwise if you dont agree. Whats wrong with me saying you are wrong? You are telling me the same thing!

Other than you, who else here is saying the GS3 screen sucks and they wont buy it over a One X? Hec one poster here yesterday said he didnt agree with you that the IPS screen was even better.

mbell1975
Jul 1, 2012, 10:13 PM
I'm also not pleased with the graphics chip used in the GS3....Samsung always does good but then cheap out on something, they never deliver THE BEST smartphone really that is truly a blessing to the buyers.

- Processor (like the other variants of the SGS3-Dual-Core 1.5Ghz)<- Essentially a Galaxy S II with a bigger screen....I doubt there is much difference in the processor and the GPU that is truly noticeable.....
- Mali 400?....Its good but not good enough to be bundled with a 2012 Quad-Core CPU....We expect and Want/need Better Graphics Chip (Also using Adreno in all other variations....really?)
- Screen (Pentile....Not that I'm complaining and almost 99% of the people won't even notice the difference between a true HD screen and a Pentile....

Some features that I mentioned above may not be as important to a good portion of the users but really...quality does matter....and thats one of many reasons why iOS hardware succeeds because when they put in hardware....its the same Quality in the Verizon, AT&T and International versions....(since they do have SLIGHT(Hardly noticeable) variations in hardware)

Ummm, thats because the LTE radio takes up a good deal of room and it doesn't play nice with quadcore chips. I will take LTE speeds and a dual core processor ANY day over a quadcore chip running some HSPA crap.

TennisandMusic
Jul 1, 2012, 10:13 PM
Just got a galaxy nexus, have had the iPhone since the 3G, including the 4S at launch.

iPhone simply does not compare anymore. In fact iOS 6 is soundly beaten by ICS, so when Jelly Bean launches in two weeks I'm sure it will be ugly. The things you can do with these phones (with NO hacking) is amazing. They are perfectly set up IMO. iPhone users are blown away by what I can do with my Nexus phone (and I was one of them when I saw it myself!)

Go with the Nexus, or even an S3 if you like. iPhone looks ancient by comparison. And I mean absolutely ancient.

Vegastouch
Jul 1, 2012, 10:24 PM

You know, i didnt think id like it either because really i think it is something to wear out but i got my GS3 today and i have to say, i do like the home button. Hope it lasts. Im still setting this thing up. Its taking a while but i do love the phone. The size isnt too big, i can use it one handed and i dont have big hands.

One question....do you know how to get rid of the voicemail icon on top? It wont swipe away and i dont have any messages and after i check then, it stays there.

ixodes
Jul 1, 2012, 10:43 PM

I too vote for Astro, I've been using it on my GNexus & it's really fast & stable.

A great improvement.

blairh
Jul 1, 2012, 10:43 PM
I am not talking about reviews, im talking about the people in here who are actually buying these things and/or have tried both. I dont see many at all that say they do not like the GS3 screen and wouldnt buy it because of it. Ive only seen you say that.

In case you haven't noticed, the people talking positively about the SIII in this forum tend to be the same dozen members or so. They just keep saying positive things about the device. Which is fine, but not exactly a fair representation. Furthermore, what I'm getting at is the sentiment OUTSIDE of this forum. There are plenty of people who are happy with the SII screen and will be happy with the SIII screen. But overall, from what I'm gathering in series of forums (not Android ones) and from professional reviews and from YouTube comments is that there is a much strong sentiment that IPS/LCD is superior overall to Amoled. That's all I'm saying.

I never once said that the HTC One X screen isnt better. IMO it is a little better, so? What does that have to do with people that still buy it even though a review said the One X screen was better? The GS3 phone overall is better and thats more important to most people. I dont see why that is so hard to understand. In HERE, yes, your opinion on this is in the minority and if you dont believe it, please show me otherwise....from posters in here who are buying them, not from a reviewer who dont own the phone, they just review it.

My point was that you felt my viewpoint, that IPS was superior overall to Amoled, was a minority one. And I am telling you that that cannot be further from the truth. My opinion in here IS NOT the minority in general, which is the only thing that matters. It's the minority in these specific threads about the SIII which of course attract MR members who are pro SIII. Stop coming to such stupid and dense conclusions.

Again, what i said is it isnt the most important to everyone. Like the poster who boought a GNex aftr taking back the One X and you couldnt believe it.
So show me otherwise if you dont agree. Whats wrong with me saying you are wrong? You are telling me the same thing!

Show you what otherwise? What the hell are you getting at? Of course not everybody cares that much about the screen on their smartphone and how it performs, but my belief is that most do. I find that's impossible to deny.

This is what is wrong with you tell me I'm wrong.

"Your opinion, that you are again repeating and its not echoed my "many". Really its just a few."

This is the statement that you made, that I already quoted from you, that is utter BS. My 'opinion' is that IPS is a superior screen technology compared to Amoled. That's all I'm stating. And you keep insisting that such a viewpoint is not shared by many, but rather only a few. And that Vegastouch is where you are so ***** wrong. It drives me crazy that you keep coming back to this. Stop point to the sky and insisting it's green. You want to love your Amoled screens, go for it. But this is utterly ridiculous and like I already said, I want to drop this entirely as I will no longer be stating to anyone on this forum what I feel about Amoled screens, because you will most likely chime in and tell me I'm wrong.

Other than you, who else here is saying the GS3 screen sucks and they wont buy it over a One X? Hec one poster here yesterday said he didnt agree with you that the IPS screen was even better.

My God, I am not the only person who has spoken negatively about Amoled's on this forum. I don't need MR members to back me up on what is an opinion. Wow, someone came on here yesterday and proclaimed they don't agree that IPS screens are better? Amazing! I can't believe that happened. My viewpoint is totally irrelevant.

I am done responding to you. I said that last time and yet you felt the need to respond with utter nonsense. But now I'm seriously done, because it's entirely clear to me that you are a complete waste of time. I can't believe the things you are saying at this point. IPS is better than Amoled. True whites, natural colors, significantly brighter. Amoled's take more power to produce whites, display artificial colors, are subject to burn in, and produce greyish whites. And the SIII's white is bluish to boot. The Amoled argument that it produces stronger blacks is only relevant for movie viewing, which I do none of on a smartphone. For reading text it's still a superior experience on an IPS.

And with what, I'm done. For the whole summer. I'm not posting again until September as we approach the iPhone release. This exchange with you has been a complete waste of my time. Enjoy your SIII and talking highly about it all summer on this forum. And enjoy writing me the inevitable ridiculous response which I won't be responding to so you'll feel like you won at something. Cheers.

[/QUOTE]

blackhand1001
Jul 1, 2012, 11:02 PM

The snapdragon s4 is way faster than the previous galaxy s2's cpu. They also didn't cheap out as you said. The mali 400 quad core doesn't support lte. And if you knew anything you'd realize the snapdragon s4 is a very fast cpu and is built on the 28nm process and has an integrated lte chip which reduced power consumption.

404 tech junkie
Jul 1, 2012, 11:20 PM

As for calling the US GS3 a GS2 with a larger screen, that couldn't be further from the truth. The Snapdragon S4 is heads and shoulders better than the S3. It isn't even close. For your reference, you might want to look up the benches on it. As for pentile, that has been beaten to death. Pentile is only a bad word to people who frequent forums and obsess over details. You can't even see any screen dooring effect or any pentile related issues. The average person would not find any fault with the screen at all.

You know, i didnt think id like it either because really i think it is something to wear out but i got my GS3 today and i have to say, i do like the home button. Hope it lasts. Im still setting this thing up. Its taking a while but i do love the phone. The size isnt too big, i can use it one handed and i dont have big hands.

One question....do you know how to get rid of the voicemail icon on top? It wont swipe away and i dont have any messages and after i check then, it stays there.
For me, it's been quite an adjustment getting used to PUSHING a button instead of TOUCHING it. I had the Nexus One when it first came out, and every phone I've had since then (which has been quite a number of) have all had capacitive buttons, up until the GNex which had the on-screen buttons. I feel on-screen buttons is the best way to go. They can be customized, they're more visible in the light than capacitives, and they are more responsive than physical buttons.

As for the voicemail question. I'm guessing you're using Google Voice. Change your voicemail settings back to the carrier. Call your phone and leave yourself a voicemail, then delete from your phone. That's what I had to do to get rid of it on mine. It seems to be some sort of glitch in the cell carrier's system.

Satnam1989
Jul 1, 2012, 11:21 PM
The snapdragon s4 is way faster than the previous galaxy s2's cpu. They also didn't cheap out as you said. The mali 400 quad core doesn't support lte. And if you knew anything you'd realize the snapdragon s4 is a very fast cpu and is built on the 28nm process and has an integrated lte chip which reduced power consumption.

Ya but that Adreno graphics chip = I can't play GTA III with car lights.....unless I dig deep into it and change things up my self.

Btw I never used LTE yet...I'm sure its amazing but Im not a heavy relier on Cellular Data because when I'm in canada (mostly) the Cellular Data here is very expensive, being a student I spend the least on it and stick to using WiFi.

404 tech junkie
Jul 1, 2012, 11:23 PM
the snapdragon s4 is way faster than the previous galaxy s2's cpu. They also didn't cheap out as you said. The mali 400 quad core doesn't support lte. And if you knew anything you'd realize the snapdragon s4 is a very fast cpu and is built on the 28nm process and has an integrated lte chip which reduced power consumption.

exactly!

404 tech junkie
Jul 2, 2012, 12:12 AM
Ya but that Adreno graphics chip = I can't play GTA III with car lights.....unless I dig deep into it and change things up my self.

Btw I never used LTE yet...I'm sure its amazing but Im not a heavy relier on Cellular Data because when I'm in canada (mostly) the Cellular Data here is very expensive, being a student I spend the least on it and stick to using WiFi.

http://maddenblacklist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/picsay-1341205427.jpg

BTW, I didn't make a single change at all. ;-)

blackhand1001
Jul 2, 2012, 01:12 AM

It is slightly faster than the 4s. It has the 21mbps hspa+ standard vs the 14mbps hspa+ on the 4s. There is no difference in battery drain between those standards though.

Allegrotechie
Jul 2, 2012, 01:47 AM
Help me decide whether I should get a Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean or wait for Apple iPhone 5. My contract expires in 2 mo.

I've owned the first two generations of the iPhone, but I switched to the droid series devices because I went to Verizon.

On the one hand, I'd like to get an iPhone 5 because it has a great camera and beautiful industrial design. It finally has navigation. It is also a global phone, which comes in handy once or twice a year when I travel abroad.

On the other hand, I really like Android's ability to play Flash video because i have to constant watch flash videos for work, I use Google Voice and Gmail religiously, and having played with Jelly Bean this week, I think Google's new voice assistant beat Siri hands down. I also like android's ability to play any kind of video format from memory. Lastly, Google's Navigation is undeniably really great. It's also a lot cheaper compared to an iPhone ($50 on Wirefly).

The downside for getting a Galaxy Nexus is that the camera is awful and the build quality is extremely lacking. It is also not a global phone, so presumably, I will have to buy a GSM Nexus to compensate.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me your opinion and help me think about this purchase. I believe time may be of the essence due to the recent in junction against the Nexus.
I have the same problem. But I think I"m going to buy the Galaxy Nexus now. iOS 6 was too disappointing and I use it on my iPhone 4S so it's not like I haven't given it a try.

mbell1975
Jul 2, 2012, 02:27 AM
It is slightly faster than the 4s. It has the 21mbps hspa+ standard vs the 14mbps hspa+ on the 4s.

In the US? Fastest speeds I have ever heard of for HSPA+ out here is like 8Mbps. Fastest I have had personally on AT&T out here is 5Mbps. I get like 16-20Mbps on Verizon's LTE. Thats the only reason I wouldn't get the Nexus.

404 tech junkie
Jul 2, 2012, 04:22 AM
In the US? Fastest speeds I have ever heard of for HSPA+ out here is like 8Mbps. Fastest I have had personally on AT&T out here is 5Mbps. I get like 16-20Mbps on Verizon's LTE. Thats the only reason I wouldn't get the Nexus.

On T-Mobile's HSPA+ I've gotten 13 megs on before, and consistently got 10+. On AT&T, the best I've gotten on HSPA+ is around 10 megs.

mbell1975
Jul 2, 2012, 04:24 AM
On T-Mobile's HSPA+ I've gotten 13 megs on before, and consistently got 10+. On AT&T, the best I've gotten on HSPA+ is around 10 megs.

Yea, depends on your area.

SR45
Jul 2, 2012, 07:34 AM
And with what, I'm done. For the whole summer. I'm not posting again until September as we approach the iPhone release. This exchange with you has been a complete waste of my time. Enjoy your SIII and talking highly about it all summer on this forum. And enjoy writing me the inevitable ridiculous response which I won't be responding to so you'll feel like you won at something. Cheers.

[/QUOTE]

Very good post Blairh. Agree with you on these same few posters that stay around instead of just going to their own android forum to post on. I just laugh at these immature fan boys now and give them little or no time from me. ;)

Satnam1989
Jul 2, 2012, 10:44 AM
Image (http://maddenblacklist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/picsay-1341205427.jpg)

BTW, I didn't make a single change at all. ;-)

is that the SGSII or SGSIII? on my SGSII I had to modify a file to get them to work I know that for sure...maybe the 225 has gotten better?

onthecouchagain
Jul 2, 2012, 10:51 AM
It is slightly faster than the 4s. It has the 21mbps hspa+ standard vs the 14mbps hspa+ on the 4s. There is no difference in battery drain between those standards though.

My GSM Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile's HSPA+ gives superb battery life. It's really the best of both worlds: fast speeds but far less draining than LTE. I'm talking about 15-17 hours depending on usage.

It's fantastic.

blackhand1001
Jul 2, 2012, 11:10 AM
My GSM Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile's HSPA+ gives superb battery life. It's really the best of both worlds: fast speeds but far less draining than LTE. I'm talking about 15-17 hours depending on usage.

It's fantastic.

Yeah. My lte one has been pretty good as well, but I usually am on wifi and have lte off. I have a toggle in my notification drawer to turn it on when I need it. I can get like 5 hours of web browsing and screen on time with it. Very little drain at idle too.

mac.cali
Jul 2, 2012, 11:17 AM
I would switch from my 4s to a Galaxy Nexus IF Google sold the Verizon LTE version from the Google Play Store. I'm not interested in Verizon installing their software on it. Give me the pure Google experience just like Apple did.

blackhand1001
Jul 2, 2012, 11:44 AM
I would switch from my 4s to a Galaxy Nexus IF Google sold the Verizon LTE version from the Google Play Store. I'm not interested in Verizon installing their software on it. Give me the pure Google experience just like Apple did.

All verizon installed was backup assistant (to transfer contacts) and my verizon both of which you can uninstall. The verizon iphone has the same thing. Theres no bloatware on it. No free trial games or any of that.

mac.cali
Jul 2, 2012, 12:51 PM
All verizon installed was backup assistant (to transfer contacts) and my verizon both of which you can uninstall. The verizon iphone has the same thing. Theres no bloatware on it. No free trial games or any of that.

Did you need to install some special software to remove them?

chakraj
Jul 2, 2012, 12:58 PM
I am running Jelly Bean on my galaxy Nexus now, its available in a few different ROMS. It has it way over IOS, Jelly Bean is much improved voice search is better than Siri in my opinion, yes no smart retorts but it works better.

blackhand1001
Jul 2, 2012, 01:07 PM
Did you need to install some special software to remove them?

Nope, in the built in applications list if you click them, theres a disable button in there that will uninstall them. It just keeps the apk file in a backup folder just in case you want them back. They aren't installed though when they are disabled.

404 tech junkie
Jul 2, 2012, 02:40 PM
is that the SGSII or SGSIII? on my SGSII I had to modify a file to get them to work I know that for sure...maybe the 225 has gotten better?

S3. That's the whole point, the points you are bringing up aren't applicable to the GS3. The GS3 and GS2 are two completely different devices.

Darthdingo
Jul 2, 2012, 03:47 PM
[ROM] Jelly Belly [4.1] - It's all about speed!
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/28677-rom-jelly-belly-v17-07012012-jellybean-41-its-all-about-speed/

Holy cow, this ROM is blazing fast, and truly smooth as "butter" Is rock solid stable, and amazing. He updates it almost once per day, each version better than the last.

Also this kernel is golden on top of this ROM;
http://www.derkernel.com/jbtuna.php#
tap the "Experimental" tab

My Verizon Nexus has never been so smooth and warp speed fast. My Brother a long time iPhone addict, even admitted he was very impressed on how fast and responsive it is. And he always criticized my previous Android phones, for feeling laggy. With this new Jellybean ROM, it is amazingly better.

nfl46
Jul 2, 2012, 03:53 PM
[ROM] Jelly Belly [4.1] - It's all about speed!
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/28677-rom-jelly-belly-v17-07012012-jellybean-41-its-all-about-speed/

Holy cow, this ROM is blazing fast, and truly smooth as "butter" Is rock solid stable, and amazing. He updates it almost once per day, each version better than the last.

Also this kernel is golden on top of this ROM;
http://www.derkernel.com/jbtuna.php#
tap the "Experimental" tab

My Verizon Nexus has never been so smooth and warp speed fast. My Brother a long time iPhone addict, even admitted he was very impressed on how fast and responsive it is. And he always criticized my previous Android phones, for feeling laggy. With this new Jellybean ROM, it is amazingly better.

Thanks for the link. I am using Beats v2.1 rom and its been great thus far, but it looks like that rom is even better.

Edit: Nevermind, that looks like its for a Verizon Nexus and not GSM. I'm not sure if it will work with my phone. I guess I'll stick with Beats.

Darthdingo
Jul 2, 2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the link. I am using Beats v2.1 rom and its been great thus far, but it looks like that rom is even better.

Edit: Nevermind, that looks like its for a Verizon Nexus and not GSM. I'm not sure if it will work with my phone. I guess I'll stick with Beats.

Yeah with these new Jellybean ROM's, only install the ones for your carrier. I have to admit, that Jellybean is finally exactly where Android needs to be, all grown up and mature. ICS was a big step up, but felt little unfinished, where JB completes it. I think a lot of iPhone user who play with a Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.1 Jellybean, will be pleasantly surprised.

It would take a major update from Apple to get me back to an iPhone again, I am open minded to going back, but want several features not sure Apple will ever include

- Larger screen at least 4", preferably 4.3"
- LED Notification light on the front like Blackberry and newer Android phones
- Widgets allowed on the home screen

DodgeV83
Jul 2, 2012, 07:08 PM

It has been proven that the iPhone 4S has better CPU performance, giving more horsepower (measured in millions of operations per second) to the OS and applications. The Android Dalvik Java VM really handicaps CPU performance.

----------

The US S3 has a slower GPU than last years internationally sold S2.

----------

In case you haven't noticed, the people talking positively about the SIII in this forum tend to be the same dozen members or so. They just keep saying positive things about the device.

I really was wondering if I was the only one who noticed this :p

Jb07
Jul 2, 2012, 07:27 PM
If I were you I would just buy the Nexus now at $299 off contract and see what the new iPhone brings in October. If you want the iPhone, sell the Gnex and get the iPhone. If you don't, keep the Nexus or get a different phone.

blackhand1001
Jul 2, 2012, 08:19 PM
It has been proven that the iPhone 4S has better CPU performance, giving more horsepower (measured in millions of operations per second) to the OS and applications. The Android Dalvik Java VM really handicaps CPU performance.

----------

The US S3 has a slower GPU than last years internationally sold S2.

----------

I really was wondering if I was the only one who noticed this :p

Not all applications ar ran through dalvik. You can compile native code as well. A lot of games are set up that way as is the browser and most of the built in apps.

Peace
Jul 2, 2012, 08:21 PM
Man I wish you would decide. I've been watching this thread pop up in the spy since 6/30

:eek:

:p

mbell1975
Jul 2, 2012, 08:24 PM
Not all applications ar ran through dalvik. You can compile native code as well. A lot of games are set up that way as is the browser and most of the built in apps.

Don't talk logic with him, its useless. He hasn't a clue how Android works and he spews the same garbage in every thread.

blackhand1001
Jul 2, 2012, 08:29 PM
Don't talk logic with him, its useless. He hasn't a clue how Android works and he spews the same garbage in every thread.

Yeah its pointless.

DodgeV83
Jul 3, 2012, 12:13 AM

http://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ndk/index.html

Notably, using native code on Android generally does not result in a noticable performance improvement, but it always increases your app complexity.

Based on Google's Dev documentation, running the code natively will only be beneficial in very specific situations. They recommend against it, as the performance improvement isn't there, and it introduces compatabilty issues.

blackhand1001
Jul 3, 2012, 01:28 AM
http://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ndk/index.html

Based on Google's Dev documentation, running the code natively will only be beneficial in very specific situations. They recommend against it, as the performance improvement isn't there, and it introduces compatabilty issues.

So that proves my point about the dalvik VM not sapping as much performance as you say it does. The cpu of the galaxy nexus is faster than the iphone 4's cpu. Thats a fact.

Vanilla Ice
Jul 3, 2012, 02:00 AM
Its sucks that you would leave Verizon's 4G LTE and go else where. The Galaxy Nexus is an awesome phone. Jelly Bean with Project Butter is a HUGE plus for Android. I say buy the Nexus now and sell it if you like what the next iPhone delivers. OR keep them both and have best of both worlds!

duction
Jul 3, 2012, 06:49 AM
Just buy an iPhone 5

Technarchy
Jul 3, 2012, 07:01 AM
Just buy an iPhone 5

This is the right answer. People take note of the amount of nonsense you need to deal with to get android to not not suck.

Dubious ROM's, scouring the Internet for bootleg Kernals from who knows where...sad that google is incapable of just shipping a quality product.

Satnam1989
Jul 3, 2012, 09:41 AM
This is the right answer. People take note of the amount of nonsense you need to deal with to get android to not not suck.

Dubious ROM's, scouring the Internet for bootleg Kernals from who knows where...sad that google is incapable of just shipping a quality product.

Not always necessary, I think the craze about slapping on Dubious ROM's is overrated. I have owned about 5 Android phones in total to date and not once flashed a custom ROM. I always kept it stock because thats exactly what I like, Only thing I ever flashed was a Kernel to OC my SGS4G T959V and that too because I wanted to play around with it. (its much better than installing "FakeClockUp"....bc its pretty lame for those that actually do install it....I personally hate the UI put on my manufacturers on Android along with all that bloatware, the Galaxy Nexus is a truly solid device that will satisfy majority of a users needs with its Pure Android experience. Also note that Android offers a great deal of customization especially once rooted....but I feel users just don't know where to stop...

I am a iPhone user and have been since the 3GS, and one thing for sure to date is that I won't give up on my iPhone because it works the best for me and has every single app in amazing quality that I could possibly want/need. But If/When I wait for the next iPhone I switch to android for that short period and Having owned Samsung, HTC and Motorola, I can say the Nexus Series offers by far hands down the best experience and is far better than settling with a Windows Phone.

mbell1975
Jul 3, 2012, 10:00 AM

You mean the same way iPhone users have to jailbreak to get anything useful and be able to somewhat customize that awful, locked down and boring iOS? Sad Apple is incapable of shipping a quality product.

aohus
Jul 3, 2012, 12:38 PM
I'm an android fanboy and I'd wait for the iP5 over the galaxy nexus.

That being said, I'll take Galaxy Note 2 / Galaxy Nexus 2 coming this fall anyday over iPhone 5. Just sayin...

blackhand1001
Jul 3, 2012, 12:43 PM

Its because jelly bean isn't final yet. Its the same thing as installing the developer preview on an ios device. This isn't a custom compiled build. Its google's build with a few added things like wifi tether, and superuser. If you wait two weeks the final build will roll out to anyone on the stock rom when official Jellybean is released.

Technarchy
Jul 3, 2012, 12:52 PM
Its because jelly bean isn't final yet. Its the same thing as installing the developer preview on an ios device. This isn't a custom compiled build. Its google's build with a few added things like wifi tether, and superuser. If you wait two weeks the final build will roll out to anyone on the stock rom when official Jellybean is released.

This wasn't commentary just on the GNEX. This was about android in its totality.

Dmunjal
Jul 3, 2012, 01:03 PM
This wasn't commentary just on the GNEX. This was about android in its totality.

But you have the choice. If you want the full Google Android experience like Apple gives you with the latest OS releases with no carrier input, you have the Nexus devices. If you want a specific feature from a specific vendor (like a big screen, LTE, SD card, removable battery, etc.) you can get that too. You are then limited by how quickly they update or you can root and get your own ROMs. I like choice. :)

Technarchy
Jul 3, 2012, 01:24 PM
But you have the choice. If you want the full Google Android experience like Apple gives you with the latest OS releases with no carrier input, you have the Nexus devices. If you want a specific feature from a specific vendor (like a big screen, LTE, SD card, removable battery, etc.) you can get that too. You are then limited by how quickly they update or you can root and get your own ROMs. I like choice. :)

It's the illusion of choice. You brought a sucky product with bad hardware and software integration and support and now you're left to fix it on your own by downloading dubious ROMs and voiding your warranty.

In theory it's choice...a Hobson's Choice.

Dmunjal
Jul 3, 2012, 01:40 PM
I don't see how that is accurate at all. The Nexus is great hardware with integrated OS from Google. The S3 is even better hardware with integrated OS from Samsung. Both are great choices. The iPhone is also a great product but I don't really have a choice if I want a larger screen or LTE..

aohus
Jul 3, 2012, 01:41 PM
It's the illusion of choice. You brought a sucky product with bad hardware and software integration and support and now you're left to fix it on your own by downloading dubious ROMs and voiding your warranty.

damn, you're dumb.

LSUtigers03
Jul 3, 2012, 02:34 PM

My Gnex works great without any modifications. But I chose to add a rom with more functionality. Just like my 4s worked fine without jailbreaking but I choose to jailbreak it so I could use apps and utilities that Apple doesn't allow. You're incredibly close minded. I've owned every iPhone that has been released but after using both beta builds of Jelly Bean and iOS6 I think Android has pulled ahead of iOS.

Frankied22
Jul 3, 2012, 02:47 PM
I just got my Galaxy Nexus and put JB on it. I'm really digging it and its super smooth. Google Now is really cool as well. There are so many things you can use it for. The only thing that disappointed me was the screen. I mean I knew going in that it was a worse screen than my iPhone. But there is s horrendous blue tint when I barely tilt the screen.

redred
Jul 3, 2012, 04:16 PM
Next iPhone. Absolutely. Or at least by October you'll also see the next Nexus too.

Darthdingo
Jul 5, 2012, 09:39 AM
If you plan to wait until October for the iPhone5 spec's, at least then wait until the Nexus-Four spec's are out too, we should know by end of October, or early November.

I think both the iPhone5 and Nexus-Four will be the best two smartphones for 2012, and well into 2013. Only the Samsung Galaxy S4 beating them, but that is not due out until late Spring 2013.

So only two smartphones worth buying soon will be the next iPhone and next Nexus, nothing else in my opinion.

mbell1975
Jul 5, 2012, 11:13 AM
So only two smartphones worth buying soon will be the next iPhone and next Nexus, nothing else in my opinion.

Not if you are on Verizon. The Razr HD is coming in the fall. Same hardware as the S3 and a 4.6 720p display but also a 13mp camera and that amazing 3300MAH battery from the Razr Maxx. That will be the phone to beat.

Technarchy
Jul 5, 2012, 11:35 AM
Not if you are on Verizon. The Razr HD is coming in the fall. Same hardware as the S3 and a 4.6 720p display but also a 13mp camera and that amazing 3300MAH battery from the Razr Maxx. That will be the phone to beat.

There is no such thing as a good Droid phone. They all suck ass. Especially if it's made by Motorola.

TL24
Jul 5, 2012, 11:35 AM
Man... I'm on the same boat as the OP, I currently have the 4S but I'm getting bored of iOS and the iOS 6 update is just garbage! Those of your saying otherwise are just brainwashed by Apple.

With that said, I still love my 4S and the simplicity of iOS but at this point after seeing what iOS6 brings to the table I'm ready to switch back to Android. Apple needs to step their game up, they've got the best phone (hardware wise) but the OS needs a major overhaul to even compete with Jelly Bean.

Once I'm able to pick up a GSM GNexus I don't think I'll be touching my 4S as much, that's until the 5 comes out lol:rolleyes:

Wrathwitch
Jul 5, 2012, 11:41 AM

This so far has been the most unbiased and logical answer I have seen on this thread.

Mac.World
Jul 5, 2012, 12:26 PM

Unless you can tell us what sensor thecamera will be using and the software to process it, the amount of pixels is worthless. The width and weight of the phone is likely to be a factor as well. 3300mA is good, but I would have preferred to see over 4000mA. We all know LTE is a battery hog and I am hoping that more manufacturers start using batteries with more juice, even if it means an extra mm in width or depth. The S3 comes with a 2100mA battery and using it full time, pretty much maxing it out on HSPA+ speeds, you can get about 6.5 hours. LTE would likely be half that. But most people won't be using lte, pandora, gps nav, email, and tethering all at the same time.

* times of the S3 are estimates from people that have posted in several forums. I'm researching this phone due to my own interest.

mbell1975
Jul 5, 2012, 12:34 PM
There is no such thing as a good Droid phone. They all suck ass. Especially if it's made by Motorola.

LOL what? Tell that to all the people who keep voting for the Razr Maxx as best smartphone available. You NEVER see a phone get more popular the older it gets. However, now that it has ICS and combined with its processor and huge battery, many people consider it the best phone out right now. Love mine.

http://www.phonedog.com/rankings/smartphones/

----------

Unless you can tell us what sensor thecamera will be using and the software to process it, the amount of pixels is worthless. The width and weight of the phone is likely to be a factor as well. 3300mA is good, but I would have preferred to see over 4000mA. We all know LTE is a battery hog and I am hoping that more manufacturers start using batteries with more juice, even if it means an extra mm in width or depth. The S3 comes with a 2100mA battery and using it full time, pretty much maxing it out on HSPA+ speeds, you can get about 6.5 hours. LTE would likely be half that. But most people won't be using lte, pandora, gps nav, email, and tethering all at the same time.

* times of the S3 are estimates from people that have posted in several forums. I'm researching this phone due to my own interest.

Huh? The Razr Maxx runs on LTE and the battery life kicks the crap out of the S3 on HSPA+ I can go 2 days without charging my phone under moderate use and 18-20 hours with heavy use, and thats running LTE.

outz
Jul 5, 2012, 05:26 PM
Huh? The Razr Maxx runs on LTE and the battery life kicks the crap out of the S3 on HSPA+ I can go 2 days without charging my phone under moderate use and 18-20 hours with heavy use, and thats running LTE.

yeah, the maxx has a larger battery for sure. personally i'd rather have the 2GB of ram / better proc / better screen of the S3 and have my battery last a day, since charging it while i sleep isnt a problem.

the maxx is still a really good phone of course.

Mac.World
Jul 5, 2012, 05:46 PM

the definition of moderate use is different for you than for me. Moderate for you would equate to a lot of downtime for me. I look at realistic numbers.

How about this? If you can show us more than 7 hours of heavy use via a snapshot i'll believe you. This is what heavy use to me means. Running google nav (and actually having directions on and running or turn the traffic layer on) and simultaneously running pandora, email open and on push, screen at 100% (because you are running gps nav during a bright, sunny day), and sms open in the background. Screen must remain on for 3 full hours while doing this. I have seen the proof of this from an S3 and that only has a 2100mA battery.

No smartphone battery in the world will last 18 hours under 'realistic' heavy use. Oh yeah, LTE is not required for this experiment, but if it were used, you'd be lucky to hit 7 hours of heavy use.

mbell1975
Jul 5, 2012, 06:53 PM
the definition of moderate use is different for you than for me. Moderate for you would equate to a lot of downtime for me. I look at realistic numbers.

How about this? If you can show us more than 7 hours of heavy use via a snapshot i'll believe you. This is what heavy use to me means. Running google nav (and actually having directions on and running or turn the traffic layer on) and simultaneously running pandora, email open and on push, screen at 100% (because you are running gps nav during a bright, sunny day), and sms open in the background. Screen must remain on for 3 full hours while doing this. I have seen the proof of this from an S3 and that only has a 2100mA battery.

No smartphone battery in the world will last 18 hours under 'realistic' heavy use. Oh yeah, LTE is not required for this experiment, but if it were used, you'd be lucky to hit 7 hours of heavy use.

I would need to do a road trip to use navigation for 3 hours. Wouldn't be a problem though. The Maxx lasted nearly 38 hours on LTE with pretty decent usage in this test. Plenty of others to see online too :)

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/01/30/droid-razr-maxx-battery-test-tops-36-hours/

One Gmail account connected, averaging near 100 emails a day (not including spam)
One Twitter account connected and updating every hour (default for Twitter app)
Brightness set at Automatic (default setting)
Google Talk used heavily
1 – 1.5 hours of phone calls
A couple hours of web browsing.
45 texts sent
Light music listening
No gaming

Throw in some gaming, movie watching and navigation and it would still last well over 7 hours. I would guess a good 18-20...like I said :)

Mac.World
Jul 5, 2012, 07:16 PM
I would need to do a road trip to use navigation for 3 hours. Wouldn't be a problem though. The Maxx lasted nearly 38 hours on LTE with pretty decent usage in this test. Plenty of others to see online too :)

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/01/30/droid-razr-maxx-battery-test-tops-36-hours/

One Gmail account connected, averaging near 100 emails a day (not including spam)
One Twitter account connected and updating every hour (default for Twitter app)
Brightness set at Automatic (default setting)
Google Talk used heavily
1 1.5 hours of phone calls
A couple hours of web browsing.
45 texts sent
Light music listening
No gaming

Throw in some gaming, movie watching and navigation and it would still last well over 7 hours. I would guess a good 18-20...like I said :)

While that is not the best pic to show the processes active, you can see a lot of down time for the phone. Over a quarter of the time the phone was in standby and not in use. What they did in that test I would consider a little better than 'light use'. But again, it's easy to get over a days use when the settings like brightness are set low.

If you do what I said, watch your battery use drop like a rock.

Vegastouch
Jul 5, 2012, 08:23 PM
While that is not the best pic to show the processes active, you can see a lot of down time for the phone. Over a quarter of the time the phone was in standby and not in use. What they did in that test I would consider a little better than 'light use'. But again, it's easy to get over a days use when the settings like brightness are set low.

Nobody uses their phone every minute of the day. I think thats pretty good usuage what he showed myself. I use mine less during the day but my GS3 has much better battery life than my Galaxy Vibrant did and im very happy about that.

Androids arent known for getting good battery life and im sure you know that but they are getting much better at that and with the much bigger screens are starting to have phones that have better battery life than the iPhone. You have to be impressed with that since the iPhone has been doing well in that department.

Mac.World
Jul 5, 2012, 08:35 PM
Dude, nobody uses their phone every minute of the day. I think thats pretty good usuage what he showed myself. I use mine less during the day but my GS3 has much better battery life than my Galaxy Vibrant did.

Androids arent known for getting good battery life and im sure you know that but they are getting much better at that and with the much bigger screens are starting to have phones that have better battery life than the iPhone. You have to be impressed with that since the iPhone has been doing well in that department.

I never said it had bad battery life. The Maxx does have great battery life. But when I see people exclaim 18 hours of 'heavy' I know they are exhaggerating just a tad. Especially on a battery that's less than 3500mA. With the new process for manufacturing cpu chips, plus software optimizatiom, utilizing cores effectively, better screen technology, I have no doubt battery life will get there. But right now, it's not. Leaving your phone in standby and having the cpu idle for much of the day is the only 'real' way to achieve those kind of hours.

Take my challenge on any smartphone that can utilize hspa+ and/or LTE. Next time you do a road trip that is longer than 3 hours, turn your nav app on and set the destination. Flip on Pandora or equivalent. Set brightness to 100% and make sure your email is set to push and texting is open in the background. Then see what your battery is after 3 hours. Will bet ya it is right around 50%. This is heavy use.

And I agree not many people will do this. An average user that has their phone in sstandby for much of the day will get well over a days use. That's easy.

And just for sh#ts and giggles, i went to Androidcentral just to see the Maxx part of the forum and find a realistic battery post. Here is what i found and this isbelievable for light to moderate usage:

I can't seem to get over 30 hours, how on earth is everyone getting over 60 hours??!!! I can get over 24 hours though, so I'm not totally complaining. Anyway, here are today's stats for battery - - do they sound good? Anything I can do to prolong battery?

1d 3h 49 m 36s (I am currently at 30%) - - and this is on 3g NOT 4g. I'm afraid what the 4g will do to the battery if I last 24 hours on 3g.

Display - 29% - 3h 46m 7s
Android OS – 20 % - 46m 57s
Phone Idle – 11% - 1d 0h 3m 28s
Cell Standby - 10 % - 1d 3h 49m 36s - - Time w/o signal 2%
Facebook 10% - CPU Total 20 m 59s; CPU foreground 10m 48s; Keep awake 1m 25s
Browser – 8% - CPU Total 16m31s; CPU foreground 16m 29s; Keep awake 19s
Mediaserver - 4% - 7m34s
Voice Calls – 4% - 4m 10s
Android Central Forums – 2% - CPU Total 3m 55s; Keep Awake 5s
Gmail – 2% - CPU Total 3m 31s; Keep Awake 11m 34s
Pandora – 2% - CPU Total 2m 6s; Keep Awake 38m 4s

mbell1975
Jul 6, 2012, 12:46 AM

Well I have been trying to kill the battery or at least get it down to like 20%, no luck. Trying to keep the screen on, made a few hours worth of phone calls, all kinds of internet browsing and watching videos from websites, texts, emails....I am probably using it more than most average people would in a day unless they were doing a ton of HD movie streaming or heavy gameplay. I think its safe to say (and tests have shown that) an average user is going to get at least a full days and nights worth of use out of the battery, maybe even two. A heavy user is still going to see a full day. Remember this is with LTE! on 3G, you could go days before needing a charge and get a really long time over 4G.

Vanilla Ice
Jul 6, 2012, 12:47 AM
Well I have been trying to kill the battery or at least get it down to like 20%, no luck. Trying to keep the screen on, made a few hours worth of phone calls, all kinds of internet browsing and watching videos from websites, texts, emails....I am probably using it more than most average people would in a day unless they were doing a ton of HD movie streaming or heavy gameplay. I think its safe to say (and tests have shown that) an average user is going to get at least a full days and nights worth of use out of the battery. A heavy user is still going to see a full day.

Impressive!

Mac.World
Jul 6, 2012, 01:16 AM
Well I have been trying to kill the battery or at least get it down to like 20%, no luck. Trying to keep the screen on, made a few hours worth of phone calls, all kinds of internet browsing and watching videos from websites, texts, emails....I am probably using it more than most average people would in a day unless they were doing a ton of HD movie streaming or heavy gameplay. I think its safe to say (and tests have shown that) an average user is going to get at least a full days and nights worth of use out of the battery, maybe even two. A heavy user is still going to see a full day. Remember this is with LTE! on 3G, you could go days before needing a charge and get a really long time over 4G.

Click on the battery graph, then we will see the truth. Your display will show blanks with a few spots of on time.

I don't know why people post that picture. It tells almost next to nothing. Once you click n the battery graph, you seenwhat is really going on... And people are afraid to do this cause it ruins their illusion.

Anyway, this is the image people should be looking at.. This is an S3 and you can clearly see screen has been used a lot, phone is awake the whole time with lots of wifi tethering and intermitent 3g and 4G signals, with a lot of gps time.
This is real havy use.

http://img.tapatalk.com/18179939-6c1b-8f73.jpg

404 tech junkie
Jul 6, 2012, 01:26 AM
Click on the battery graph, then we will see the truth. Your display will show blanks with a few spots of on time.

I don't know why people post that picture. It tells almost next to nothing. Once you click n the battery graph, you seenwhat is really going on... And people are afraid to do this cause it ruins their illusion.

Anyway, this is the image people should be looking at.. This is an S3 and you can clearly see screen has been used a lot, phone is awake the whole time with lots of wifi tethering and intermitent 3g and 4G signals, with a lot of gps time.
This is real havy use.

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/18179939-6c1b-8f73.jpg)

Everyone has their own definition of heavy use. I don't consider what you posted to be heavy use. I consider that to be a going out of your way to use the phone as much as possible. Over 6 hours straight of wake time isn't normal, even for heavy usage. In a day where I use my phone frequently, I would not have 6 hours straight wake time. That may be heavy use for you, but to me that would never happen even on a day where I constantly use my phone.
BTW, people use that other screen because it shows the amount of time. One screen isn't more important than the other. They compliment each other, hence why they're both there.

mbell1975
Jul 6, 2012, 01:32 AM

This is real havy use.

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/18179939-6c1b-8f73.jpg)

ummm, thats just stupid to be honest. This is nothing close to a real world situation. This is just someone trying to burn thru a battery as fast as they can :rolleyes: Besides, there is no way a 2100MAH battery is going to get anywhere close to a 3300MAH battery. That extra 1200 is huge.

----------

Everyone has their own definition of heavy use. I don't consider what you posted to be heavy use. I consider that to be a going out of your way to use the phone as much as possible. Over 6 hours straight of wake time isn't normal, even for heavy usage. In a day where I use my phone frequently, I would not have 6 hours straight wake time. That may be heavy use for you, but to me that would never happen even on a day where I constantly use my phone.
BTW, people use that other screen because it shows the amount of time. One screen isn't more important than the other. They compliment each other, hence why they're both there.

Exactly

Mac.World
Jul 6, 2012, 07:57 AM
ummm, thats just stupid to be honest. This is nothing close to a real world situation. This is just someone trying to burn thru a battery as fast as they can :rolleyes: Besides, there is no way a 2100MAH battery is going to get anywhere close to a 3300MAH battery. That extra 1200 is huge.

----------

Exactly

Nothing close to your real world situation maybe, but for others it is. As for battery size, there are so many factors between phones that some with a 3300mA battery may only get the same amount of Up time as a 2100mA battery. Just because you have a larger battery does not always equate to longer up time.

But since we are going to use your def of usage, my iPad gets over 600 hours of use between charges and my phone gets over 200. I don't need to prove it, all I have to do is say it. Do you believe those numbers?
People put out b.s. battery numbers all the time in an attempt to make their phone look better than it is. I only post numbers closer to what you can expect if you really need to use your phone continuosly for a few hours... Say in the event you are stuck waiting for a flight, a major disaster, terror attack, or zombies take over the world.

BrandonZ
Jul 6, 2012, 10:38 AM
I just got my Galaxy Nexus and put JB on it. I'm really digging it and its super smooth. Google Now is really cool as well. There are so many things you can use it for. The only thing that disappointed me was the screen. I mean I knew going in that it was a worse screen than my iPhone. But there is s horrendous blue tint when I barely tilt the screen.

I sent mine back yesterday because my screen had stains(what Im calling it) whenever I was on a white or gray screen. Also my had ghosting which was driving me nuts. I really loved the phone but after researching about the screens its really hit or miss. Some are purple. Some are like mine was. It stinks because I enjoyed it much more than my iphone. :(

tech4all
Jul 8, 2012, 03:41 AM

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/52593/52593,1139713608,2/stock-photo-blind-woman-traveling-with-white-cane-975686.jpg

http://www.chinatraderonline.com/Files/home-appliance/electrical-fan/Table-Fan-23385566920.jpg

http://www.how-to-draw-funny-cartoons.com/image-files/cartoon-boy-005.jpg

jeffe
Jul 8, 2012, 03:52 AM
Everyone has their own definition of heavy use. I don't consider what you posted to be heavy use. I consider that to be a going out of your way to use the phone as much as possible.

Well I have a Galaxy Nexus which is not known to be the best battery. I usually start using it for streaming radio on 3G at around 7:30 - 8:00 or so, and it will always die sometime before 12:30.

I have a spare battery and stand-alone charger so I just pop out the battery, swap and start over. On days I don't stream, I can easily last more than 24 hours with occasional use such as browsing, reading forums, playing some games, etc...

404 tech junkie
Jul 8, 2012, 04:48 AM
Well I have a Galaxy Nexus which is not known to be the best battery. I usually start using it for streaming radio on 3G at around 7:30 - 8:00 or so, and it will always die sometime before 12:30.

I have a spare battery and stand-alone charger so I just pop out the battery, swap and start over. On days I don't stream, I can easily last more than 24 hours with occasional use such as browsing, reading forums, playing some games, etc...

I believe you. I've gotten over 24 hours with light use on my Galaxy Nexus before. I stress that this was LIGHT use. This was stock set up without turning anything off. With heavy use I can still get around 14 hours of battery.

yegon
Jul 8, 2012, 04:57 AM
Wirelessly posted

I'd wait for the next iPhone AND Nexus before deciding. iPhone 4S and Galaxy Nexus are both approaching the 1yr mark and are both set to be replaced by new hardware.

This was the third reply and it nailed it. Budgetry constraints aside, I can't believe the kind of people who discuss phones on forums are even contemplating buying old phones.

I'm still rocking my old iPhone 4, wasn't too impressed with the 4S personally. I was actually tempted by the Galaxy Nexus, if I was ever going to switch Id want vanilla android, but 16gb max capacity and no sd card slot killed that idea. Dunno which will be out first, but I won't be making any final decisions until both the next iPhone and Nexus are out.

404 tech junkie
Jul 8, 2012, 05:13 AM
This was the third reply and it nailed it. Budgetry constraints aside, I can't believe the kind of people who discuss phones on forums are even contemplating buying old phones.

I'm still rocking my old iPhone 4, wasn't too impressed with the 4S personally. I was actually tempted by the Galaxy Nexus, if I was ever going to switch Id want vanilla android, but 16gb max capacity and no sd card slot killed that idea. Dunno which will be out first, but I won't be making any final decisions until both the next iPhone and Nexus are out.

The reason is, both phones can be had now for a reasonable cost without the need for a contract. He can get a Galaxy Nexus for $350 brand new and around $300 used. He can get a used 4S for $350-$400 on Craigslist. So with what equates to a reasonably low investment, he can get either phone and still recoup most of his money in selling it when the new models come out. In the end, he could get the new models and would have only lost $50-$100, well worth being able to have one of those phones from now and the time the new models come out. So if you're only going to lose around $100 in the end, why not go ahead and get a phone now?

yegon
Jul 8, 2012, 05:17 AM
The reason is, both phones can be had now for a reasonable cost without the need for a contract. He can get a Galaxy Nexus for $350 brand new and around $300 used. He can get a used 4S for $350-$400 on Craigslist. So with what equates to a reasonably low investment, he can get either phone and still recoup most of his money in selling it when the new models come out. In the end, he could get the new models and would have only lost $50-$100, well worth being able to have one of those phones from now and the time the new models come out. So if you're only going to lose around $100 in the end, why not go ahead and get a phone now?

Fair enough, that's a decent argument. Depends on what you're current phone is I suppose, if it's okay I'd stick with it for the sake of a couple of months.

404 tech junkie
Jul 8, 2012, 05:28 AM
Fair enough, that's a decent argument. Depends on what you're current phone is I suppose, if it's okay I'd stick with it for the sake of a couple of months.

That's similar to what I did in purchasing the Galaxy S3. 9 times out of 10, I will be buying the next Nexus that comes out. I already have the Galaxy Nexus, but the Galaxy S3 was too tempting for me to pass up (unlike the One X that didn't even pique my interest). I figured I'd sell my GNex, but I may just keep it (still deciding on that lol). When the next Nexus comes out, I'll sell the GS3 probably for between $400-$450, and will only come out the pocket $100-$200, which would be like paying for a phone with upgrade pricing. I used to constantly flip phones, but have slowed down in the last 12 months. With the way they used to release phones so quickly, I could flip a phone for close to the same price I paid for it, and in some cases more (if I got it on contract). lol You'll never catch me with a phone more than 9-12 months old. :D

DroidNoMore
Jul 8, 2012, 07:22 AM
I posted this is another "versus" thread but felt that it would contribute to this one as well.

I recently changed to an iPhone after several years with various Android phones. After jailbreaking I doubt I'll ever go back to Android. iOS is so much smoother and I have yet to have a crash. My Android phones crashed all of the time.

Both OS have their advantages and disadvantages but for me battery life was a big factor. I have some friends with a Galaxy Nexus who can't make it through the day without charging their battery. My Razr was atrocious as well.

IF I were to ever go back to Android it would only be to a Nexus phone and only if that Nexus was NOT a Samsung phone.

I really dislike the way that Android phones keep getting pushed out and that phones lose support and updates after about 18 months (unless you want to rely on hacker-created ROMS).

This worries me as well...

http://developer.android.com/about/d...rds/index.html

ICS has been out since December yet only 10% of Android phones have it. Google has already announced Jelly Bean when 90% of Android users don't even have ICS. That's problematic IMO.

Technarchy
Jul 8, 2012, 03:15 PM
ICS has been out since December yet only 10% of Android phones have it. Google has already announced Jelly Bean when 90% of Android users don't even have ICS. That's problematic IMO.

It's actually the android status quo.

The new OS sees hardly any adoption until the new devices start rolling out.

The android model: Hate your poorly supported phone so you get a new one.

Apple model: Love your iPhone so you want the new one.

Vegastouch
Jul 8, 2012, 03:28 PM
It's actually the android status quo.

The new OS sees hardly any adoption until the new devices start rolling out.

The android model: Hate your poorly supported phone so you get a new one.

Apple model: Love your iPhone so you want the new one.

LOL, right. Ask iP4 owners how they feel about being left out of the full update.

Yep, poorly supported is right. Only one iPhone model is getting the whole shabang and you will be a part of that this time next year. To which, im sure you will be buying a new iPhone, ...if you dont buy the new one this year.

ugahairydawgs
Jul 8, 2012, 03:53 PM
LOL, right. Ask iP4 owners how they feel about being left out of the full update.

Yep, poorly supported is right. Only one iPhone model is getting the whole shabang and you will be a part of that this time next year. To which, im sure you will be buying a new iPhone, ...if you dont buy the new one this year.

All they will be missing on a 2 year old device is turn by turn. If that is a deal breaker for them their contracts should be up by now so that they can get subsidized pricing on a new model.

Apple is a hardware company, so they can't rely on the Google model of harvesting user data for targeted ad sales in order to survive. They have to sell new hardware, which means they have to take steps to push users towards new devices. Android OEMs are no different. There's a reason your Samsung Vibrant's stock OS is still 2.2.

Technarchy
Jul 8, 2012, 04:43 PM

Really?

How many android users will be completely stranded and get no ICS or JB. Like 90%. They get zero new features. All they get is fisted.

Samsung...didn't they just release ICS on the GS2? How many features are they not getting that are featured on GS3? A hell of a lot.

How many Samsung phones are getting Touchwiz 5.0 besides the GS3? A whooping ZERO. What about the GS2 and GS1? Where's the support for those phones?

The 3GS was released on June 19, 2009 and it will get the bunk of iOS6. The Samsung GS1 was released in the USA in July of 2010 and get nothing. Why is samsung abandoning their customers and giving zero support after a year or less?

You want to go there and expose how much android owners get bent over and dumped?

404 tech junkie
Jul 8, 2012, 04:50 PM
All they will be missing on a 2 year old device is turn by turn. If that is a deal breaker for them their contracts should be up by now so that they can get subsidized pricing on a new model.

Apple is a hardware company, so they can't rely on the Google model of harvesting user data for targeted ad sales in order to survive. They have to sell new hardware, which means they have to take steps to push users towards new devices. Android OEMs are no different. There's a reason your Samsung Vibrant's stock OS is still 2.2.

The Vibrant is a Samsung phone. If you want to do an apples to apples comparison (no pun intended), you should be comparing a nexus phone. The iPhone 4 and the Nexus S were released within months of each other, and the Nexus S receives better Google support than the iPhone 4. The Nexus S has received a full update to ICS sans face unlock due to the front cam being VGA. The Nexus S will also be receiving a full Jellybean update, complete with Google Now, unlike the iPhone that has a handicapped version of iOS 5 (no Siri), and now will not be getting turn-by-turn or 3d maps.

----------

Really?

How many android users will be completely stranded and get no ICS or JB. Like 90%. They get zero new features. All they get is fisted.

Samsung...didn't they just release ICS on the GS2? How many features are they not getting that are featured on GS3? A hell of a lot.

How many Samsung phones are getting Touchwiz 5.0 besides the GS3? A whooping ZERO. What about the GS2 and GS1? Where's the support for those phones?

The 3GS was released on June 19, 2009 and it will get the bunk of iOS6. The Samsung GS1 was released in the USA in July of 2010 and get nothing. Why is samsung abandoning their customers and giving zero support after a year or less?

You want to go there and expose how much android owners get bent over and dumped?
What you're talking about is manufacturer specific, not Android specific. You're mixing up Android with Samsung, HTC, LG, etc. If you want to be technical, Google makes the updates available, but manufacturers have to make it available after that. Google can't control what a manufacturer does or does not do with their phone and their software they put on the phone. A more direct comparison would be iOS/iPhone and the Android/Nexus line.

Vegastouch
Jul 8, 2012, 05:29 PM
Really?

There are about 300 different Android devices so that 90% is skewed. Most top end phone are getting it. iPhone pretty much has one model...some are older versions of that one model and only one is getting the complete update.

I dont know, maybe you can share that!

Who cares,....... There are many different launchers to choose from and id be surprised if most use Touchwiz over them. I have Touchwiz 5 and I dont use it.

The GS1...as you call it is two years old. Ive had ICS on my GS as a custom ROM and the battery wasnt that good on it so i dont care. It was time for a new one anyways. ...just like the 3GS wont have on iOS6.Two years is too long for one phone these days.
The iPhone has 5 phones and the 3GS is not getting the full shabang and neither is the P4 so those pecentages arent good.
The only REALLY better thing iPhone users get is great customer support....which is tops over all of them.

The Vibrant is a Samsung phone. If you want to do an apples to apples comparison (no pun intended), you should be comparing a nexus phone. The iPhone 4 and the Nexus S were released within months of each other, and the Nexus S receives better Google support than the iPhone 4. The Nexus S has received a full update to ICS sans face unlock due to the front cam being VGA. The Nexus S will also be receiving a full Jellybean update, complete with Google Now, unlike the iPhone that has a handicapped version of iOS 5 (no Siri), and now will not be getting turn-by-turn or 3d maps.

Even better comparison. Comparing their own flagship phone like Apples iPhone. Seems to get better support than iPhone does with full updates instead fo a partial.

Sensamic
Jul 8, 2012, 05:31 PM
That's similar to what I did in purchasing the Galaxy S3. 9 times out of 10, I will be buying the next Nexus that comes out. I already have the Galaxy Nexus, but the Galaxy S3 was too tempting for me to pass up (unlike the One X that didn't even pique my interest). I figured I'd sell my GNex, but I may just keep it (still deciding on that lol). When the next Nexus comes out, I'll sell the GS3 probably for between $400-$450, and will only come out the pocket $100-$200, which would be like paying for a phone with upgrade pricing. I used to constantly flip phones, but have slowed down in the last 12 months. With the way they used to release phones so quickly, I could flip a phone for close to the same price I paid for it, and in some cases more (if I got it on contract). lol You'll never catch me with a phone more than 9-12 months old. :D

Considering the SGS3 wil get JB Im gonna wait to next years Nexus to buy it (but only if it has micro SD support). The new Nexus this year wont be better than the SGS3. The only new thing will be stock JB. I can wait a year since JB will be available in the SGS3.

Talking about updates. iPhone 4 did not get Siri just ONE year later after being released. And now not even FaceTime 3G and turn by turn Maps and 3D and flyover.

So Apple is no better in updates. They leave you without the biggest new features to force you to update the same way Samsung and others doo.

Technarchy
Jul 8, 2012, 05:34 PM
What you're talking about is manufacturer specific, not Android specific. You're mixing up Android with Samsung, HTC, LG, etc. If you want to be technical, Google makes the updates available, but manufacturers have to make it available after that. Google can't control what a manufacturer does or does not do with their phone and their software they put on the phone. A more direct comparison would be iOS/iPhone and the Android/Nexus line.

It doesn't matter. The end result is the same. The customer gets screwed and often times has no recourse which is why there was barely any ICS market penetration until new devices featuring ICS were sold.

Rather, they can be stupid and get screwed again by buying another android device, or they can wise up and get an iPhone.

Mind you, a person is not getting screwed if they get an android device knowing it will be abandoned in a 9 or so months, so they get another phone with every android release or whenever the latest and greatest hardware drops.

For those that think they will get two years of support...wise up...

404 tech junkie
Jul 8, 2012, 05:41 PM
It doesn't matter. The end result is the same. The customer gets screwed and often times has no recourse which is why there was barely any ICS market penetration until new devices featuring ICS were sold.

Rather, they can be stupid and get screwed again by buying another android device, or they can wise up and get an iPhone.

But yet you're totally ignoring the fact that the Nexus S has gotten better support than the iPhone 4. You're getting into something that is outside of Android itself and choosing to ignore actual Android and Google themselves.

Vegastouch
Jul 8, 2012, 05:46 PM
But yet you're totally ignoring the fact that the Nexus S has gotten better support than the iPhone 4. You're getting into something that is outside of Android itself and choosing to ignore actual Android and Google themselves.

That is actually why Apple releases iOS6 so early before the new phone. So those can see what it will be missing on their older devices and want them to buy another. Not to mention the iP4S is still $650 to buy.

Yea, Apple is different :rolleyes:

ugahairydawgs
Jul 8, 2012, 05:52 PM

Again....different companies have different business models. Google doesn't care if you buy new hardware...Apple does. They don't sell their users info to make their money. They have to sell new hardware.

While the 4 may not get all of the new iOS features like the Nexus S will in JB, that is not the full picture of support. Try taking a Nexus S into a Google Store for assistance when something goes wrong with it.

Nand
Jul 8, 2012, 06:03 PM
That is actually why Apple releases iOS6 so early before the new phone. So those can see what it will be missing on their older devices and want them to buy another. Not to mention the iP4S is still $650 to buy.

Yea, Apple is different :rolleyes:

The IOS 6 its not release. Only for Developers.

404 tech junkie
Jul 8, 2012, 06:15 PM
Again....different companies have different business models. Google doesn't care if you buy new hardware...Apple does. They don't sell their users info to make their money. They have to sell new hardware.

While the 4 may not get all of the new iOS features like the Nexus S will in JB, that is not the full picture of support. Try taking a Nexus S into a Google Store for assistance when something goes wrong with it.

What was that? I couldn't hear you over the excuse making... :rolleyes:

ugahairydawgs
Jul 8, 2012, 06:27 PM
What was that? I couldn't hear you over the excuse making... :rolleyes:

Eye rolls? What are you, 12?

My point is that of course Apple has to pull back some features from future updates. If they kept giving people the full feature sets on old hardware there would be nothing to push them to a new device. It's a problem that Google doesn't have.

x&y
Jul 8, 2012, 08:23 PM
Wait for the iPhone 5.

The Galaxy Nexus is just the current flavour of the week.

404 tech junkie
Jul 8, 2012, 08:25 PM
Eye rolls? What are you, 12?

My point is that of course Apple has to pull back some features from future updates. If they kept giving people the full feature sets on old hardware there would be nothing to push them to a new device. It's a problem that Google doesn't have.

Or, how about their new devices stand on their own merits. The Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S both have ICS, but the Galaxy Nexus still was a good purchase because it bumped you up to an HD screen, faster processor, better cameras, etc. So you're saying Apple's business model is to purposely handicap updates, instead of just making a device that is flat out better than the previous?

Technarchy
Jul 8, 2012, 08:36 PM
Wait for the iPhone 5.

The Galaxy Nexus is just the current flavour of the week.

Actually the flavor of the week 29 weeks ago...

Days are dog years for android.

x&y
Jul 8, 2012, 08:52 PM
Actually the flavor of the week 29 weeks ago...

Days are dog years for android.

That's true.

They release 5 or 6 phones every year compared to Apple's single one.

And the iPhone is still the best phone available simply because iOS is better than anything Google/Android have to offer.

Phokus
Jul 8, 2012, 08:56 PM
That's true.

They release 5 or 6 phones every year compared to Apple's single one.

And the iPhone is still the best phone available simply because iOS is better than anything Google/Android have to offer.

iOS is pure crap. It's such a dated OS and Apple should be ashamed of itself for not updating it.

x&y
Jul 8, 2012, 08:58 PM
iOS is pure crap. It's such a dated OS and Apple should be ashamed of itself for not updating it.

What exactly is wrong with it in your opinion?

My iPhone has never crashed. Ever.

My friends Samsung Galaxy S3 crashed the day after he bought it...

Technarchy
Jul 8, 2012, 09:09 PM

It has been updated. You're just not paying attention.

If you want silly animations and Tron 1980's style looks, Google ICS and JB are for you

I'll take iOS.

x&y
Jul 8, 2012, 09:12 PM
It has been updated. You're just not paying attention.

If you want silly animations and Tron 1980's style looks, Google ICS and JB are for you

I'll take iOS.

I'll join you on that.

Vanilla Ice
Jul 8, 2012, 09:16 PM
What exactly is wrong with it in your opinion?

My iPhone has never crashed. Ever.

My friends Samsung Galaxy S3 crashed the day after he bought it...

And by reading all the complaints in this forum about all the problems people are having with they're iPhones makes iOS no better then Android. And just like the iPhone, there is only 1 Nexus release a year. Not 6.

If you buy a low quality android device than yes, it will have its problems. Ever since Google released the Galaxy Nexus, Android stepped up BIG time. What's even better is Project Butter in Android 4.1... Jelly bean is a huge improvement from ICS. iOS 6 seems nice but I wouldn't go as far as saying its an impressive update because I don't think so just like many others... I like both Android and iOS but Jelly Bean seems to have won this years update compared to iOS 6.

Technarchy
Jul 8, 2012, 09:21 PM
And just like the iPhone, there is only 1 Nexus release a year. Not 6.

You sure?

Nexus S December 16, 2010
Nexus One January 5, 2010

That's 2 devices in one year.

Vanilla Ice
Jul 8, 2012, 09:23 PM
You sure?

Nexus S December 16, 2010
Nexus One January 5, 2010

That's 2 devices in one year.

So I'm off a month and change. You get the point.

Technarchy
Jul 8, 2012, 09:26 PM
So I'm off a month and change. You get the point.

I was being a smart ass with silly phone trivia. No offense intended.

Vanilla Ice
Jul 8, 2012, 09:30 PM
I was being a smart ass with silly phone trivia. No offense intended.

Ha. I know. It's hard to compare the two. Apple and Android are both great. You really can't go wrong with either.

Satnam1989
Jul 8, 2012, 10:14 PM
I personally would really like to manage my notes, contacts and other info much like iCloud on Android, I think the way iCloud does it is neat and clean as compared to Google....That whole Gmail linking all is quiet difficult at times for example it syncs contacts to each and every gmail account without even asking me, and since the beginning days now all my gmail accounts have unsorted, half unorganized contacts that I have to play around with in order for it to show the ones I want in the contacts settings. Also at times it shows contacts that I never even saved such as email addresses.....ever since i sent out a email to a certain address...it gets saved which is really frustrating and second of all when i view my contacts on the gmail website, it only shows half of them....the others are only visible when I sync my account with my phone....quiet frustrating. I understand they wanted to make one account for everything but...I prefer iOS way of handling contacts, notes, saved data for apps rather than Android's current messy way, I hope they in the very near future do make it much easier and more organized otherwise I say Android is pretty awesome to stick around for some if you can handle its "Simple" complicated ways for some of the things.

The Multi-tasking on Galaxy nexus is quiet good, I just don't like the whole button press idea, I prefer to access it via a gesture...since everything already touch based on the phone you would think gestures are there for such functionality......like on my iPhone I have Zephyr installed and with a swipe up I can enter multi-tasking, with a swipe I can close an app or switch between apps without ever having to touch the home button.....these options as far as I saw so far just aren't available for android even after rooting if you want to keep the phone on stock ROM (if anyone knows how to add it without flashing custom ROM do let me know please)

IMO iOS>Android in customization that is really functional and smooth, flashing ROM's is like beta testing, people never really settle with one for >6months. With iOS we wait until the next jailbreak before we jump the ship to upgrade because some features/tweaks/add-ons we add are so important that we cannot afford to give them up.

Android has great potential but I don't think it something many people will continue to enjoy >6months at a time due to lack of many apps, stock ROM customization(without having to flash things), and Integration with your desktop, tablet etc.

404 tech junkie
Jul 8, 2012, 11:54 PM
The Multi-tasking on Galaxy nexus is quiet good, I just don't like the whole button press idea, I prefer to access it via a gesture...since everything already touch based on the phone you would think gestures are there for such functionality......like on my iPhone I have Zephyr installed and with a swipe up I can enter multi-tasking, with a swipe I can close an app or switch between apps without ever having to touch the home button.....these options as far as I saw so far just aren't available for android even after rooting if you want to keep the phone on stock ROM (if anyone knows how to add it without flashing custom ROM do let me know please)
There are options out there if you take the time to look. Here are a couple.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJM0EqrZ7-w&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1MrFb016U&feature=plcp&context=C30b4f29UDOEgsToPDskKFxZ2qcfQCTQbICzixuz8N

IMO iOS>Android in customization that is really functional and smooth, flashing ROM's is like beta testing, people never really settle with one for >6months. With iOS we wait until the next jailbreak before we jump the ship to upgrade because some features/tweaks/add-ons we add are so important that we cannot afford to give them up.
You've got to be kidding me. A large amount of those jailbreak "customizations" are only adding features that Android phones already have out of the box. The iOS dev community pales in comparison to the Android community. You lose all credibility even attempting to make that comparison.

FYI, custom roms are not the only way to add features to an Android phone.

Bobby Corwen
Jul 9, 2012, 12:07 AM
There are options out there if you take the time to look. Here are a couple.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJM0EqrZ7-w&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1MrFb016U&feature=plcp&context=C30b4f29UDOEgsToPDskKFxZ2qcfQCTQbICzixuz8N

You've got to be kidding me. A large amount of those jailbreak "customizations" are only adding features that Android phones already have out of the box. The iOS dev community pales in comparison to the Android community. You lose all credibility even attempting to make that comparison.

FYI, custom roms are not the only way to add features to an Android phone.

The dev community is what????????

Lol wow.

This guy just lost all credibility...

depths
Jul 9, 2012, 01:09 AM
You can easily set multitasking to open with a gesture. I have swipe up for multitasking, swipe down for settings and double tap for search.

I really don't get the hate for the Nexus on Macrumors.

It's a great looking device that runs pure Android, has a nice big screen that looks really nice with a bit of tweaking, it's dev friendly, gets quick updates and is $350 unlocked.

I've had mine since launch and I love it.

It's hard to take people seriously they talk about how **** it is.

I have Apple products, measuring the Nexus against them it doesn't fall short in any way besides lacking Jony Ive's incredible design talents.

Satnam1989
Jul 9, 2012, 09:13 AM
You can easily set multitasking to open with a gesture. I have swipe up for multitasking, swipe down for settings and double tap for search.

Can you please tell me how I can set it up to swipe up for Multitasking and maybe set something else for swipe down?

like guy above you posted links to the videos, I noticed in the videos w.e swipe you make shows up on screen which kinda looks ugly(I'm sure there is someway to turn that part off). Is it smooth and as fluent as it is on iOS? either way would still like to give it a try. Thanks

aohus
Jul 9, 2012, 04:59 PM
Galaxy Note 2 (if you like phablet form factor. Will be 5.5 inch screen)

Galaxy Nexus 2

I'm assuming both phones will be utilizing ARM's new A15 chips.

and JellyBean 4.1 has 0 stuttering issues. This thing just does not lag, and I'm using it on a 8 month old Galaxy Nexus.

TennisandMusic
Jul 9, 2012, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't go as far as saying iOS is pure crap. True enough, it is behind Android in many aspects, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it is pure crap.

Those links show something that's geared more toward devices with on-screen buttons. It would work for other Android phones, but it's more so designed to be an on-screen button alternative.

iOS is pretty bad though, compared to Android 4.0. And that includes iOS 6. I think once you use a good ICS phone, and you really get into using it, you see just how amazing and easy to use Android is, as well as how functional it is. That to me is the best thing about it. I was an iPhone user since the 3G version, all the way up to the 4S.

Now when I look at the iPhone I can't help but think it is a complete and utter joke, in almost every way. Everything from the design of the phone, to the design of the OS, the functionality (and lack thereof) of the OS, to how completely limiting it all is...it's really really bad, and I would venture a guess that the vast majority of iPhone users don't even realize it (naturally, otherwise why would they be using it?).

I sold my 4S today, after being an iPhone user for 4 years. It will take a miracle for them to win me back. iOS is just that awful now, compared to Android.

depths
Jul 9, 2012, 07:28 PM
Can you please tell me how I can set it up to swipe up for Multitasking and maybe set something else for swipe down?

like guy above you posted links to the videos, I noticed in the videos w.e swipe you make shows up on screen which kinda looks ugly(I'm sure there is someway to turn that part off). Is it smooth and as fluent as it is on iOS? either way would still like to give it a try. Thanks

Grab Apex Launcher from the Play Store and in settings/behaviour settings you can assign gestures.

Great launcher that you can leave as stock as you like and it plays nice with Jellybean.

cynics
Jul 9, 2012, 08:04 PM
I'm surprised for the hatred of iOS here. Its really not that bad and a lot of people prefer it, I usually use my 4S as a phone and my Xoom for a tablet. I also own a Razr and iPad 2 but my 4S and Xoom are my go to. Both have the latest updates so I get the best of both worlds, just need to get a windows device now..

Satnam1989
Jul 9, 2012, 09:05 PM
Grab Apex Launcher from the Play Store and in settings/behaviour settings you can assign gestures.

Great launcher that you can leave as stock as you like and it plays nice with Jellybean.

No way to add the gestures without having to slap on a launcher? I like my GNexus Stock as possible with the addition of root access and adding gestures....like on iOS we don't have to add a launcher to add gestures/functionality...again personally I like my phone to look as stock/basic as possible without having anything overlaying the stock/basic UI.

Let me know if any way of adding it as a settings add-on...otherwise i think ill pass and continue to not like the multitasking button....and hope in the near future there is such add-on

depths
Jul 9, 2012, 09:34 PM
I don't think it's possible with the stock launcher.

You should consider giving Apex a go some day. It's a 5mb download and as easy to uninstall as any app.

You could keep the same setup as stock along with gestures. When you first install it things are setup a little different (multiple docks and a few icons on the desktop ect) but they're easy fixes.

Sensamic
Jul 9, 2012, 11:12 PM
The dev community is what????????

Lol wow.

This guy just lost all credibility...

Have you seen how many negative votes each of your posts have? And how many people on other threads think you are a fanboy? Why would that be?

Its pretty obvious no one here takes you seriously after reading your comments. You are the one who has lost ALL credibility (a while ago)...

walie
Jul 9, 2012, 11:36 PM
No way to add the gestures without having to slap on a launcher? I like my GNexus Stock as possible with the addition of root access and adding gestures....like on iOS we don't have to add a launcher to add gestures/functionality...again personally I like my phone to look as stock/basic as possible without having anything overlaying the stock/basic UI.

Let me know if any way of adding it as a settings add-on...otherwise i think ill pass and continue to not like the multitasking button....and hope in the near future there is such add-on

^very ignorant. have you SEEN apex launcher? :rolleyes:

Satnam1989
Jul 10, 2012, 08:54 AM

No, I haven't but ill check it out in a few days once I'm back home.

ugahairydawgs
Jul 10, 2012, 09:12 AM

FYI....your point is a lot less likely to be completely overlooked if you leave out the :rolleyes:

jkim3691
Jul 11, 2012, 04:51 PM
I'm thinking of selling my 4s and grabbing a GNex off the Google Play store. $350 for an unlocked phone is great. I've always been more of a tinkerer with my phones making them the way I want. I kept buying the iPhone (3GS, 4s) because I've had the original one ever since it came out and the familiarity was nice. But seeing as the direction as iOS6 is headed towards without any major changes and the leaked images of the new iPhone, I think I'm ready to switch over. I've been trying to come to a decision for days.

outz
Jul 11, 2012, 08:15 PM
I would probably wait since the gnex refresh will probably happen around the same time as the iPhone... at least then you can compare the 2

asr10 user
Jul 11, 2012, 08:50 PM
I'm also an iOS lover who will more than likely convert to the next Nexus. I'll wait until both the iPhone 5 and the next Nexus phones are both out. I wouldnt get an Android that was not a Nexus.

Supa_Fly
Jul 11, 2012, 09:19 PM
I'm thinking of selling my 4s and grabbing a GNex off the Google Play store. $350 for an unlocked phone is great. I've always been more of a tinkerer with my phones making them the way I want. I kept buying the iPhone (3GS, 4s) because I've had the original one ever since it came out and the familiarity was nice. But seeing as the direction as iOS6 is headed towards without any major changes and the leaked images of the new iPhone, I think I'm ready to switch over. I've been trying to come to a decision for days.

Does anyone have Duarte's direct - real - gmail email address?! I have a particular request I'm hoping others will also agree on.

* If the next Galaxy Nexus device has all the bells and whistles, along with Build Quality & Quality Materials (I don't know metal: magnesium/aluminum bezel, carbon fibre, etc) and competes in a class like the iPhone 4S/5 or BETTER ... then I think with iOS6, Apple is in serious trouble!

I'm also an iOS lover who will more than likely convert to the next Nexus. I'll wait until both the iPhone 5 and the next Nexus phones are both out. I wouldnt get an Android that was not a Nexus.

I'm in the same self debate. I'd have already traded my iPhone 4S ... IF it was 32GB for a Galaxy Nexus ... but I'm on a 64GB and its just more valuable (at least to me or trade value vs GNexus). I might just cave in.

The key part for me is:
Ability to use 80% equal apps (I still have to get used to THINGS!).
My TV shows/movies/music (paid/rental) from iTunes MUST be playable on Android 4.1 (currently and future updates) - I'm NOT leaving OSX not for Win7, Win8, or for ChromeOS junk!
Lack of confusion: I'd like to slightly tweak Droid for my needs but NOT at the expense of wasting work time.

jkim3691
Jul 11, 2012, 09:46 PM
Does anyone have Duarte's direct - real - gmail email address?! I have a particular request I'm hoping others will also agree on.

* If the next Galaxy Nexus device has all the bells and whistles, along with Build Quality & Quality Materials (I don't know metal: magnesium/aluminum bezel, carbon fibre, etc) and competes in a class like the iPhone 4S/5 or BETTER ... then I think with iOS6, Apple is in serious trouble!

I didn't say the build quality was better than what Apple puts out. That's actually one thing I would truly miss. The design is so classy and sleek that a plastic phone would definitely be somewhat disappointing. But I'm talking about the OS itself, screen estate, endless customization. I also like how there's no physical home button.

If the next iPhone is just a taller phone with iOS6 which is what the leaked pictures are telling me, I have no interest in continuing to buy iPhones.

Supa_Fly
Jul 11, 2012, 11:18 PM
I didn't say the build quality was better than what Apple puts out. That's actually one thing I would truly miss. The design is so classy and sleek that a plastic phone would definitely be somewhat disappointing. But I'm talking about the OS itself, screen estate, endless customization. I also like how there's no physical home button.

If the next iPhone is just a taller phone with iOS6 which is what the leaked pictures are telling me, I have no interest in continuing to buy iPhones.

I'm in complete agreement.

Its going to be tough because the previous 3 times I've tried Android, well each device prior to ICS didn't last more than a week. However, with JB I think I can give it a serious week try. I'm just going to miss the "polish" of iOS. I just don't know if I can do it: EVEN with how underwhelming iOS6 is.

What I mean earlier was I'd LOVE to see the next Galaxy Nexus ... be well a Galaxy Nexus Supreme! Quality materials.

thadoggfather
Jul 13, 2012, 03:16 PM
I like playing around with my GNex I got from Google a week and a half ago.

(sold my 4S 32GB last week because I figured even if I want the next iPhone, I can keep my GNex and get it for like almost nothing with the 2 year upgrade with the money I got-- haven't used an upgrade since i4, I traded my i4 and cash for a 4S back in January to a dude who couldn't wait any longer for jailbreak)

Plus I have my trusty iPad3 still for iOS servings.

iOS6 just doesn't seem terribly exciting.

Razeus
Jul 13, 2012, 03:35 PM
I'm hoping Apple is saving their best iOS 6 goodies for the iPhone event.

I would LOVE to be able to pick my own default apps for things like Mail (Sparrow), Camera (Camera+), etc. I'd love to delete stock apps I'm not sure why Apple continues to have NOT be able to delete them.

But, I know Apple. I have a feeling I'll be moving to a Android phone soon.

----------

And there lies my problem. With the iPhone, I love the design of it all the way around.

If I move to Android, I'd like the Nexus because of its true Android OS experience without the manufacturers UI, like TouchWiz or whatever. But the camera on the Nexus sucks.

So if I go the SG3 route, I'd get the better camera, but I have to deal with the lame colors of steel blue :confused:. I would have to the white version because they didn't think to have a black version of the phone. Furthermore, I wouldn't want to use TouchWiz so I'll probably have to load a ROM to get the original Google OS experience.

Vegastouch
Jul 13, 2012, 04:11 PM
I'm hoping Apple is saving their best iOS 6 goodies for the iPhone event.

I would LOVE to be able to pick my own default apps for things like Mail (Sparrow), Camera (Camera+), etc. I'd love to delete stock apps I'm not sure why Apple continues to have NOT be able to delete them.

But, I know Apple. I have a feeling I'll be moving to a Android phone soon.

----------

And there lies my problem. With the iPhone, I love the design of it all the way around.
If
If I move to Android, I'd like the Nexus because of its true Android OS experience without the manufacturers UI, like TouchWiz or whatever. But the camera on the Nexus sucks.

So if I go the SG3 route, I'd get the better camera, but I have to deal with the lame colors of steel blue :confused:. I would have to the white version because they didn't think to have a black version of the phone. Furthermore, I wouldn't want to use TouchWiz so I'll probably have to load a ROM to get the original Google OS experience.

You don't need to get a ROM if you don't like touchwiz, just download another launcher and use that one. As for using white, you can get many different colored battery covers ob ebay if you want. I didn't like the blue phone myself but ive had black phones for the past 8-9 years so white is fine with me.

DarwinOSX
Jul 13, 2012, 08:52 PM
Get the nexus. The jellybean update is excellent (no lag) and the camera is still decent. Outdoors the pictures are excellent. The video recording and the microphone are top notch too. The build quality is still quite good. It feels solid and there's no creaking. Nothing like the nexus s which I thought felt cheap. It also can take a much worse fall before breaking. Apple products might feel solid but they are not durable at all. I would call that a strike against its build quality. The front camera on the nexus is also much much better than the iphones and iPads. Overall I am extremely happy with my Verizon nexus and would still buy it today even with the newer phones like the s3 out.

Huh? Even Android weenies agree that the nexus camera is terrible. Also the antenna's.
OP, There will be a new nexus and iPhone 5 soon. Wait a few months and then decide.
Personally I would get an S III and a new rom on it before the current Nexus.

----------

You don't need to get a ROM if you don't like touchwiz, just download another launcher and use that one. As for using white, you can get many different colored battery covers ob ebay if you want. I didn't like the blue phone myself but ive had black phones for the past 8-9 years so white is fine with me.

True but you still have unnecessary services for Touchwiz' bloatware etc running under that launcher. That's the reason to get a new rom.

----------

I'm in complete agreement.

Its going to be tough because the previous 3 times I've tried Android, well each device prior to ICS didn't last more than a week. However, with JB I think I can give it a serious week try. I'm just going to miss the "polish" of iOS. I just don't know if I can do it: EVEN with how underwhelming iOS6 is.

What I mean earlier was I'd LOVE to see the next Galaxy Nexus ... be well a Galaxy Nexus Supreme! Quality materials.

I would wait until the final build of iOS 6 and the showing of the iPhone 5 before assuming anything. I'm guessing there will be a new Nexus phone soon as well. The current one has had all sort of issues with radios etc.

----------

If you read Android forums on the nexus they are full of threads about issues with the radios,camera, etc. Many people are on their fourth or fifth. Don't assume because tis is an Apple forum some of us don't know just as much about Android.

I really don't get the hate for the Nexus on Macrumors.

It's a great looking device that runs pure Android, has a nice big screen that looks really nice with a bit of tweaking, it's dev friendly, gets quick updates and is $350 unlocked.

I've had mine since launch and I love it.

It's hard to take people seriously they talk about how **** it is.

I have Apple products, measuring the Nexus against them it doesn't fall short in any way besides lacking Jony Ive's incredible design talents.

----------

Talking about updates. iPhone 4 did not get Siri just ONE year later after being released.
So Apple is no better in updates. They leave you without the biggest new features to force you to update the same way Samsung and others doo.

Siri requires hardware that is not in the iPhone 4. this has been common knowledge for some time.
It is laughable to compare Apple with samsung or any Android manufacture. Are you really that unaware of the difference between how many iPhone users of all models are on the latest iOS compared to Android? There have been a zillion articles on this so Google it. The difference is in multiple orders of magnitude.

----------

Android makes poor use of dual and quad core because it is not optimized for them. Look it up. This has been shown many times. It's also why dual and quad core phones show the same performance.
According to a recent Anandtech article the iPhone 4s has better battery life when web browsing than any other phone and is close in everything else. This is despite having a much smaller battery than the gigantic Android phones. This is because iOS is more highly optimized in many ways than Android.
Like so many things Android fans say, because they want to believe it, the actual facts from data disprove your point.

cynics
Jul 13, 2012, 09:00 PM
Siri requires hardware that is not in the iPhone 4. this has been common knowledge for some time.
It is laughable to compare Apple with samsung or any Android manufacture. Are you really that unaware of the difference between how many iPhone users of all models are on the latest iOS compared to Android? There have been a zillion articles on this so Google it. The difference is in multiple orders of magnitude.

IPhone 4 had Siri when it was available in the app store. Apple removed the app and killed the connection to 4 users when the 4S came out. That is the common knowledge, unless I'm forgetting something....

Btw the cdma gnex was the nexus that had radio issues....And usually its that app that's not optimized for dual/quad core. I can use nenamark and get 23.4 frames per second with my Xoom but The much more complex game dead trigger runs at 40-50. As long as I have the FPS where I need it is all that matters too me...

jkim3691
Jul 13, 2012, 09:04 PM
Siri sucks anyways. I only use it to ask it to play my music. Anything else it botches and/or takes too long.

irDigital0l
Jul 13, 2012, 09:04 PM
How about you do the obvious thing and wait for the new iPhone to be announced. If you don't like it then go for the Galaxy Nexus.

If you can't wait, then get the Galaxy Nexus.

Its not hard.

jkim3691
Jul 13, 2012, 09:19 PM
How about you do the obvious thing and wait for the new iPhone to be announced. If you don't like it then go for the Galaxy Nexus.

If you can't wait, then get the Galaxy Nexus.

Its not hard.

Or buy the Nexus and sell whatever you have now. Thus, your contract is not renewed, you keep your upgrade, and offset the cost of buying the Nexus.

The iGentleman
Jul 13, 2012, 10:20 PM
[/COLOR]Android makes poor use of dual and quad core because it is not optimized for them. Look it up. This has been shown many times. It's also why dual and quad core phones show the same performance.
According to a recent Anandtech article the iPhone 4s has better battery life when web browsing than any other phone and is close in everything else. This is despite having a much smaller battery than the gigantic Android phones. This is because iOS is more highly optimized in many ways than Android.
Like so many things Android fans say, because they want to believe it, the actual facts from data disprove your point.

And you don't think that has anything to do with the fact that the screen is 22% smaller than a 4.5" screen? A 22% difference is a big difference in size. That's a lot of screen to not have to power. The battery should be better.

iosuser
Jul 13, 2012, 10:21 PM
With much hesitation I bought the unlocked gnex last week because it's only $350 unlocked contract free. I fully expected to quickly go back to my 64GB 4S. Nope, I call up AT&T to request the unlock and as soon as I get the confirmation I'll restore and sell it. With jelly bean it is every bit as smooth as the 4s, actually seems faster as the android browser allows fast and long scroll unlike safari on iOS.

I played with two different galaxy s3, they were both running hot and horribly laggy, I don't know if it's because of the Samsung bloat but it didn't matter after the second try. I was considering it for the expandable storage. Better off I guess I'll save my upgrade and see what iPhone 5 is like, but it looks like no sale at this point if the odd tall and narrow screen is to be believed.

Absolutely no lag on the gnex with jelly bean! I even got to keep Flash because I had it installed while it was on ICS.

cynics
Jul 13, 2012, 10:32 PM
If you guys are in a store and the phone is running hot its more then likely its plugged in and being charged by a higher amp charger. My iPhone does this with my 2.5amp car charger. I've been meaning to get an Apple car charger...

TL24
Jul 13, 2012, 11:56 PM
Well I jumped the gun and bought a new GNexus off of Craigslist for $300 which was a steal! Anyways, after using the GNexus running 4.1 and rooting and installing custom roms I can honestly say Jelly Bean has iOS beat in the software department. Now this isn't to say iOS is horrible or boring, if there's one thing iOS does right its this: IT JUST WORKS.

In the end though I think I'll end up selling the GNexus and keep my 4S. The retina display is still one of the best display in the game (behind the HTC One X) and it still has the best camera as well. Those two factors play a big role in MY world so until the next iPhone comes out or the next Nexus comes out I'll just stick to my beautiful 4S.

depths
Jul 14, 2012, 12:33 AM
Before you send it back try Francos kernel/app and play around with the color/gamma/contrast. Makes a big difference.

The iGentleman
Jul 14, 2012, 12:40 AM
Before you send it back try Francos kernel/app and play around with the color/gamma/contrast. Makes a big difference.

I never like these types of recommendations. If a person has to start messing with kernels and such, something is wrong. Kernels and such should be a bonus, not a necessity.

TL24
Jul 14, 2012, 08:56 AM

Actually I have that installed right now. I just can't stand this pentile screen now that I've used a retina display and seen the super lcd2 display that the HTC One X has.

I also take a lot of pictures and videos so the 4S is the right choice for me.

Don't get me wrong, the GNexus is the best Android phone in my opinion. Pure Android on Jelly Bean is the best OS I've used so far but it's hardware is where it falls short. Hopefully the next GNexus will have top of the line specs to match the iPhone 5 and who knows what the specs of these two phones will be. I think competition will only benefit us, the consumers.

Supa_Fly
Jul 14, 2012, 06:22 PM
Actually I have that installed right now. I just can't stand this pentile screen now that I've used a retina display and seen the super lcd2 display that the HTC One X has.

I also take a lot of pictures and videos so the 4S is the right choice for me.

Don't get me wrong, the GNexus is the best Android phone in my opinion. Pure Android on Jelly Bean is the best OS I've used so far but it's hardware is where it falls short. Hopefully the next GNexus will have top of the line specs to match the iPhone 5 and who knows what the specs of these two phones will be. I think completion will only benefit us, the consumers.

Discovered this is NOT the experience I hoped for. Thank GOD I kept my iP4S!!

Issues with official JellyBean installation:
* Bloomberg app continuously crashes.
* cannot setup Exchange 2010 email (ActiveSync). This seems to be a widespread problem on Galaxy Nexus even on ICS.
^ yes I do have access to Exchange Management console 2010 & verified my account has ActiveSync enabled and no policy's restricting access as I'm in the loop on our MDM/ActiveDirectory/Exchange implementation solution. My iPhone is NOT on an MDM so i can verify that ActiveSync is enabled.

Beyond applications, beyond themes & tweaking on a modern OS ... maybe because I'm not converted to iOS fully for months and used to the OSX/iOS solution ... maybe cause even JellyBean is rough around the edges > its not cut out for me. Maybe if I chose Sony's Xperia S/Ion with their light theme I'd be pleased. I don't know. But if I cannot get Exchange ActiveSync 2010 working on the unit (I've tried all methods documented with various settings) then this cannot be my primary device.

The screen quality is not that good - belongs back in 2009; even if its incredibly huge. I'll agree on retina.

To put things bluntly ... Apple SW Engineers KNOW what their doing EVEN if features are not implemented or done slowly - we all know that mantra when it is implemented "It simply just ... works"! I don't WANT to waste time tweaking and fiddling with the OS (I'll reserve that to the pimple kids that take the time to write step by steps and proven to work).

What I need out of a primary smartphone:
Calls - this by FAR is important for me (it is my mobile work phone)
Corporate & Personal Emails with Folder redirection.
(^ and iPhone does this reliably with aplomb, better than any BB I've used for 10years! I'm talking MONTHS of uptime without ANY slow down in performance. The ONLY thing - even in iOS6Beta2 - is that Drafts on device does NOT sync on Exchange 2007/2010).
Tasks
Notes
Quality Pictures/Screenshots
Music PlayBack/Sync (playlists and individual tracks)
Record Voice Notes/Meeting Minutes while on standby or working with 3rd Party Applications.
Rapid Language switching
(^ These last two where due to a recent need in the last 4wks due to revising notes from Spanish classes).

BONUS I'd like to see on iOS6 official rollout:
Live Rapid translation will be a future bonus.
SIRI Updates: ALL specifically enabled WITHOUT Internet Connectivity!
Local Device Search
Local Device Voice Dictation
Local Device Application Launch/Control
Local Device Commands

jeffe
Jul 14, 2012, 08:28 PM

Actually, if it is anything like it used to be, some parts of touchwiz remain even when using another launcher..like the notification toggles and what-not.

illyb2000
Jul 14, 2012, 08:37 PM
Would anyone agree that the new iPhone (whatever the name is) should blow the galaxy s3 out the water ? If it doesn't then a lot of users will leave? What can the new iPhone do that Samsung s3 cannot?

ericrwalker
Jul 14, 2012, 08:41 PM
Would anyone agree that the new iPhone (whatever the name is) should blow the galaxy s3 out the water ? If it doesn't then a lot of users will leave? What can the new iPhone do that Samsung s3 cannot?

The iPhone 4 and 4S do already, so I would imagine the next iPhone does too.

King Shady
Jul 14, 2012, 08:49 PM

I lol'd

jkim3691
Jul 14, 2012, 09:38 PM
I lol'd

I did too. I don't know why I bought the 4s and wasted my upgrade...I really wanted that Retina display. (Coming from 3GS).

King Shady
Jul 14, 2012, 09:55 PM
I did too. I don't know why I bought the 4s and wasted my upgrade...I really wanted that Retina display. (Coming from 3GS).

Yea bit of bad timing, though the 4S is still a great device. I just think the guy who posted above me is a complete troll. The S3 still smokes the 4 and 4S

The iGentleman
Jul 14, 2012, 10:32 PM

I like the iPhone as much as the next guy, but that's a bit of a claim to make. But hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

illyb2000
Jul 15, 2012, 10:29 AM
Ericwalker - Can you back that up? I have the iPhone 4 and s3 looks so much better

cynics
Jul 15, 2012, 10:46 AM

I wouldn't worry about this too much. The iPhone gets compared to everything, I think the iPhone's best competition is Nexus devices. And when the new iPhone comes out in the fall it should be compared to the new nexus device that will come out about the same time.

ericrwalker
Jul 15, 2012, 10:56 AM
Ericwalker - Can you back that up? I have the iPhone 4 and s3 looks so much better

Of course, the iPhone runs iOS!

TL24
Jul 15, 2012, 10:56 AM
I wouldn't worry about this too much. The iPhone gets compared to everything, I think the iPhone's best competition is Nexus devices. And when the new iPhone comes out in the fall it should be compared to the new nexus device that will come out about the same time.

I can't wait for the new Nexus to be released just like I can't wait for the new iPhone to be released. I just hope the next Nexus has a killer Camera and Screen because that's all that's holding me back from going back to Android! Pure Google Android FTW!..... Till then I'll stick to my 4S

sentinelsx
Jul 15, 2012, 11:46 AM
Take out the galaxy nexus from the decision.

The so so camera and battery life aren't worth it.

Look for the new nexus in the fall. With the improved chipset and hopefully multiple OEMs on board, it will be better.

I will never buy an android with touchcrap, non sense etc. Sure you can do custom ROMs for stock android but I am not going to lose half the functionality of my smartphone for the first two months while the ROM is in beta etc. The nexus comes with working stock android out of the box. Game over. It is like the iPhone of android world but more open of course.

I hope HTC makes the new nexus. Will definitely buy one then.

Also i hope the new lumias come out same time.

So your decision should really be New nexus or iPhone 5 or may be a WP8 lumia.

Vegastouch
Jul 15, 2012, 12:01 PM
Take out the galaxy nexus from the decision.

The so so camera and battery life aren't worth it.

Look for the new nexus in the fall. With the improved chipset and hopefully multiple OEMs on board, it will be better.

I will never buy an android with touchcrap, non sense etc. Sure you can do custom ROMs for stock android but I am not going to lose half the functionality of my smartphone for the first two months while the ROM is in beta etc. The nexus comes with working stock android out of the box. Game over. It is like the iPhone of android world but more open of course.

I hope HTC makes the new nexus. Will definitely buy one then.

Also i hope the new lumias come out same time.

So your decision should really be New nexus or iPhone 5 or may be a WP8 lumia.

Rumor is there is going to be 5 Nexus phone to celebrate 5 years of Android being made by 5 different manufacturers such as Samsung, HTC, etc. This was back in late May so who knows if it has legs but it was reported on several different Tech sites. We shall see.

Phandroid link (http://phandroid.com/2012/05/23/google-to-release-5-nexus-devices-on-november-5th-to-celebrate-5-years-of-android-rumor/)

King Shady
Jul 15, 2012, 12:23 PM
Rumor is there is going to be 5 Nexus phone to celebrate 5 years of Android being made by 5 different manufacturers such as Samsung, HTC, etc. This was back in late May so who knows if it has legs but it was reported on several different Tech sites. We shall see.

Phandroid link (http://phandroid.com/2012/05/23/google-to-release-5-nexus-devices-on-november-5th-to-celebrate-5-years-of-android-rumor/)

I have a hard time believing that rumor. I can't wait for the next Nexus though, because I have a feeling the iPhone 5 won't blow me away.

sentinelsx
Jul 15, 2012, 01:17 PM

I really hope this is true.

I want a HTC nexus. HTC build quality and stock jelly bean. No other android phone is relevant for me.

Faux Carnival
Jul 15, 2012, 01:58 PM

What did you drink?

Sensamic
Jul 15, 2012, 02:52 PM

I think the 5 nexus devices are:

- Nexus 7 8GB

- Nexus 7 16GB

- Nexus phone 16GB

- Nexus phone 32GB

- Nexus phone 64GB (or a 8GB model for even lower price)

I dont think there are going to be 5 nexus phones.

Vegastouch
Jul 15, 2012, 03:15 PM
I think the 5 nexus devices are:

- Nexus 7 8GB

- Nexus 7 16GB

- Nexus phone 16GB

- Nexus phone 32GB

- Nexus phone 64GB (or a 8GB model for even lower price)

I dont think there are going to be 5 nexus phones.

The 5 devices are supposed to roll out Nov 5th, which is the anniversary date. The two Nexus 7 tablets are out now. So, i dont really know. Just going by the rumor.

Razeus
Jul 15, 2012, 03:55 PM
If Google's Instant Upload feature works better than Photostream's "I'll upload all your photos except 5-7 that you'll need to manually do yourself" then that might be the way I have to go.

onthecouchagain
Jul 15, 2012, 06:45 PM
I can't wait for the new Nexus to be released just like I can't wait for the new iPhone to be released. I just hope the next Nexus has a killer Camera

I have the same hope too. The camera on the GN plain sucks. Any moderately low light setting, or when using the zoom in feature will give you horrible horrible pictures.

----------

You know, I'm not fully convinced having five different Nexus phones from five different manufacturers is a good thing for the Nexus branding.

I feel the Nexus branding is still quite delicate, and may still require a bit more establishing. I think they did a great job with the Nexus 7. I'm really hoping they can pull off the same sort of hype, launch and delivery for the next Nexus phone, and I fear having five different ones will be confusing and possibly muddle the Nexus branding.

Also, what would that mean for updates? Google already has to roll out waves of updates for the GN, Nexus S, etc. Would it make the process even harder and longer if they have to do it for the GN, and then 5 separate new-Nexus?

It's an exciting idea, but I'm not all convinced it's a good idea. Debatable.

jeffe
Jul 15, 2012, 06:56 PM
You know, I'm not fully convinced having five different Nexus phones from five different manufacturers is a good thing for the Nexus branding.

I always thought it was devices and so far we have 3 current nexus devices, 2 released since that rumor came out. So my guess if any could be that maybe 3 more devices may be on the way.

Nexus 7 - Tablet
Nexus Q - Media Streamer
Galaxy Nexus - Phone (to be replaced by something new?)
??
??

Darthdingo
Jul 15, 2012, 07:02 PM

Wow, typical brainwashed iSheep, not being logical. That is a funny statement you made, hope you're a comedian.

onthecouchagain
Jul 15, 2012, 07:07 PM
I always thought it was devices and so far we have 3 current nexus devices, 2 released since that rumor came out. So my guess if any could be that maybe 3 more devices may be on the way.

Nexus 7 - Tablet
Nexus Q - Media Streamer
Galaxy Nexus - Phone (to be replaced by something new?)
??
??

Yeah, you and Sensamic may have it right. The rumor could very well mean that.

The iGentleman
Jul 15, 2012, 07:15 PM
If Google's Instant Upload feature works better than Photostream's "I'll upload all your photos except 5-7 that you'll need to manually do yourself" then that might be the way I have to go.

Yes it's definitely better. It not only uploads each picture you take, it also uploads video to the cloud too.

ericrwalker
Jul 15, 2012, 10:30 PM
Wow, typical brainwashed iSheep, not being logical. That is a funny statement you made, hope you're a comedian.

Not a professional comedian, but I have dabbled a little.

SR71
Jul 15, 2012, 10:49 PM
If you can live with your current phone, I'd suggest waiting till October when the iPhone 5 is rumored to be announced and by then, weigh your options and go with what you feel works for you.

oBMTo
Jul 17, 2012, 05:10 PM
$350 for unlocked Jelly Bean device? No brainer.