PDA

View Full Version : Apple Going Out Of Business?

ooartist
Nov 6, 2002, 07:27 PM
Giga Information Group states that Apple (AAPL ) is in full retreat in almost every market segment, home users being the prominent exception.

Fact or Fiction?

Check It:

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2002/tc2002116_9799.htm

--ooartist

Nipsy
Nov 6, 2002, 07:40 PM
http://www.macobserver.com/article/2002/10/29.5.shtml

Rower_CPU
Nov 6, 2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Nipsy
http://www.macobserver.com/article/2002/10/29.5.shtml

Now that's what I call journalism! :D

14 and counting, eh... ;)

job
Nov 6, 2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by ooartist
Giga Information Group states that Apple (AAPL ) is in full retreat in almost every market segment, home users being the prominent exception.

Apart from the fact that GIGA is the most pro-Microsoft information group out there at the moment....

Don't home sales constitute the majority of *most* PC maker's sales?

bousozoku
Nov 6, 2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by hitman

Apart from the fact that GIGA is the most pro-Microsoft information group out there at the moment....

Don't home sales constitute the majority of *most* PC maker's sales?

Right now home sales do count because businesses aren't buying/leasing much in the way of PCs.

I wouldn't worry about GIGA though. GIGA=Garbage In, Garbage Always. :)

G4scott
Nov 6, 2002, 09:07 PM
The one thing that these news guys forget about is that Apple has something almost no other computer company has: Innovation.

While the rest of the computer world's R&D goes into buying Macs just so they can copy them, Apple actually does real R&D, instead of buying their competitors computers and putting them up to the computer-xerox machine...

The only other computer company that was doing ok was dell... But there's a saying: Apple makes money by innovating through hard times. Dell makes money by being wal-mart...

BenderBot1138
Nov 6, 2002, 10:42 PM
Isn't that article from 1983? :cool:

"Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary of the Information Purification Directives. We have created, for the first time in all history, a garden of pure ideology. Where each worker may bloom secure from the pests of contradictory and confusing truths. Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful a weapon than any fleet or army on earth. We are one people, with one will, one resolve, one cause. Our enemies shall talk themselves to death and we will bury them with their own confusion. We shall prevail!"

(from Apple's 1984 Advertising Campaign)

springscansing
Nov 6, 2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by BenderBot1138
Isn't that article from 1983? :cool:

"Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary of the Information Purification Directives. We have created, for the first time in all history, a garden of pure ideology. Where each worker may bloom secure from the pests of contradictory and confusing truths. Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful a weapon than any fleet or army on earth. We are one people, with one will, one resolve, one cause. Our enemies shall talk themselves to death and we will bury them with their own confusion. We shall prevail!"

(from Apple's 1984 Advertising Campaign)

Man... even reading that gives me the freakin chills. And I was born in '84, haha.

MrMacMan
Nov 7, 2002, 10:46 AM
That is really really sad. ;)
Apple now has over 4 Billion $$$.

Kid Red
Nov 7, 2002, 11:43 AM
Yea, they're going out of business, that's why they just updated their portable line to the best in thier history :rolleyes:

Chad4Mac
Nov 7, 2002, 12:47 PM
Yea, with four million in the bank I'm sure they're going out of business...

Please, GIGA

I can't stand these guys/gals

Chad4Mac

Nipsy
Nov 7, 2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Chad4Mac
Yea, with four million in the bank I'm sure they're going out of business...

Please, GIGA

I can't stand these guys/gals

Chad4Mac

Chad...trying to lower values everywhere!

4 Billion, $4B, $4,000,000,000.

Chad4Mac
Nov 7, 2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Nipsy

Chad...trying to lower values everywhere!

4 Billion, $4B, $4,000,000,000.

Nope, just a typo.

Hope I didn't change their balance sheet!

This better: 4,337.0 million

Chad4ChangingValuation

wdlove
Nov 7, 2002, 02:17 PM
It's just wishful think on the part of GIGI & Microsoft! :confused:

Computer_Phreak
Nov 7, 2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
The one thing that these news guys forget about is that Apple has something almost no other computer company has: Innovation.

While the rest of the computer world's R&D goes into buying Macs just so they can copy them, Apple actually does real R&D, instead of buying their competitors computers and putting them up to the computer-xerox machine...

The only other computer company that was doing ok was dell... But there's a saying: Apple makes money by innovating through hard times. Dell makes money by being wal-mart...

i agree with u.. but keep in mind that:

1.apple stole many ideas from xerox when apple first started making pcs
2.apple did kind of copy freeBSD and put a nice gui on top

i highly doubt that all the pc companies are copying apple. Microsoft, on the other hand.....

Cappy
Nov 7, 2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Computer_Phreak

i agree with u.. but keep in mind that:

1.apple stole many ideas from xerox when apple first started making pcs

i highly doubt that all the pc companies are copying apple. Microsoft, on the other hand.....

This is true. For example many considered Dell and others to copy Apple with entering the wireless market. That simply was not true. Apple just managed to get into this market earlier and with better products than they did. Everyone knew it was going to happen but Apple beat them to it.

As for copying freebsd I'd like to know how you come to this conclusion since NeXT's OS's were always considered to be unix.

Spock
Nov 7, 2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Computer_Phreak

Apple did not copy FreeBSD it is opensource.