PDA

View Full Version : Stripped down Lion, how many GB saved?

macneubie
Jun 30, 2012, 07:07 PM
Post-installation, how much is it possible to slim down osx taking out ilife, itunes, non essential fonts, printer drivers, non essential language packs, all voice packs?

chrono1081
Jun 30, 2012, 07:15 PM
Post-installation, how much is it possible to slim down osx taking out ilife, itunes, non essential fonts, printer drivers, non essential language packs, all voice packs?

Besides this being a bad idea (NEVER screw with default system fonts, it can cause all kinds of issues and don't touch iTunes as other programs depend on it), you won't save much room. Lion is only a 4GB install.

AlanShutko
Jun 30, 2012, 07:21 PM
/System/Library/Fonts, do not touch.

/Library/Fonts, have at it. If, for instance, you don't care about reading chinese, Korean, Arabic, and so forth you can save hundreds of megs by removing the right fonts, and you won't break anything.

Of course, that isn't much disk space, so it really isn't worth it. (I futz with it more to trim the fonts that appear that appear in menus than for space.)

OSX will put back fonts if you delete something it really, really requires, so it is pretty safe. Have a bootable backup handy just in case.

macneubie
Jun 30, 2012, 07:50 PM
/System/Library/Fonts, do not touch.

/Library/Fonts, have at it. If, for instance, you don't care about reading chinese, Korean, Arabic, and so forth you can save hundreds of megs by removing the right fonts, and you won't break anything.

Of course, that isn't much disk space, so it really isn't worth it. (I futz with it more to trim the fonts that appear that appear in menus than for space.)

OSX will put back fonts if you delete something it really, really requires, so it is pretty safe. Have a bootable backup handy just in case.

thanks, but hundreds of megs on a 64/128/256 SSD is quite substantial compared to 512mb/1tb HDD, what about those voice packs? can rid of them?

iTunes is another bloatware, despite unchecking the option to copy files into the iTunes library, every time i double clicked on a MP3 and it persistently copies the file into its library. Any workaround to this apart from totally removing iTunes?

AlanShutko
Jun 30, 2012, 08:32 PM
thanks, but hundreds of megs on a 64/128/256 SSD is quite substantial compared to 512mb/1tb HDD, what about those voice packs? can rid of them?

Yes.

iTunes is another bloatware, despite unchecking the option to copy files into the iTunes library, every time i double clicked on a MP3 and it persistently copies the file into its library. Any workaround to this apart from totally removing iTunes?

Right click on an MP3 and choose Get Info. Change Open With to Quicktime Player, and click the button that says Change All.

macneubie
Jun 30, 2012, 08:48 PM
Yes.

Right click on an MP3 and choose Get Info. Change Open With to Quicktime Player, and click the button that says Change All.

Thanks! You've been most helpful. Really appreciate it. :)