PDA

View Full Version : [mobile OSs] Video comparison of Android 4.1's default voice assistant and siri (merged)

gladoscc
Jun 30, 2012, 11:34 PM
Found this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kDsOtdRtG0Q
Android 4.1 beta processes results faster than iOS 6.0 beta, and seems to have more functionality.

QuarterSwede
Jun 30, 2012, 11:50 PM
I'm really liking Jelly Bean but one thought is this Siri has A LOT more users currently which could explain the slower processing. To be honest, sometimes Siri is dog slow and sometimes she is blazing fast, just depends on the current load. Android will have the same issue in time. I do like the voice though. They did a great job on it.

fins831
Jul 1, 2012, 12:03 AM
I just wish it understood my dictation better, but competition breeds better results, and hoping it will force apple to focus on the simple things such as improving voice dictation, accuracy, and expand its uses at the same time.

Phokus
Jul 1, 2012, 11:38 AM
Another test:

Minneapolis Street Test: Google Gets a B+, Siri gets a D

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/06/29/minneapolis-street-test-google-gets-a-b-apples-siri-gets-a-d/

Siri relies on Google quite a bit.

Rodimus Prime
Jul 1, 2012, 11:50 AM
I'm really liking Jelly Bean but one thought is this Siri has A LOT more users currently which could explain the slower processing. To be honest, sometimes Siri is dog slow and sometimes she is blazing fast, just depends on the current load. Android will have the same issue in time. I do like the voice though. They did a great job on it.

I would disagree with that.
I feel the reason Google side is faster is Google just have much more direct access to the data and chances are a hell of a lot more data to pull from at the first level.

Now Apple on the other hand more than likely has to go threw more levels of processing and has to pull from more sources to get all the data and then bring it together. That just increases the amount of time.

On top of that if you noticed Google's system is putting in the text as you say it. That means time less time is loss processing the speak into a string so the different engines can process it.

It comes down to that Apple just has more steps to go threw and it adds up.

QuarterSwede
Jul 1, 2012, 02:16 PM
I would disagree with that.
I feel the reason Google side is faster is Google just have much more direct access to the data and chances are a hell of a lot more data to pull from at the first level.

Now Apple on the other hand more than likely has to go threw more levels of processing and has to pull from more sources to get all the data and then bring it together. That just increases the amount of time.

On top of that if you noticed Google's system is putting in the text as you say it. That means time less time is loss processing the speak into a string so the different engines can process it.

It comes down to that Apple just has more steps to go threw and it adds up.
Good points. I didn't notice Android inputting as it goes along. Surprised that local processing is that quick. Wonder if they're using Nuance tech or not (I don't know much about the innards of Android).

batting1000
Jul 1, 2012, 02:21 PM
Is Google Now all done on the device or does it access as server for it's responses?

Rodimus Prime
Jul 1, 2012, 02:28 PM
Good points. I didn't notice Android inputting as it goes along. Surprised that local processing is that quick. Wonder if they're using Nuance tech or not (I don't know much about the innards of Android).

It is not doing local processing of the voice. What it is doing is sending it up to Google the entire time and Google is translating it in real time. It was stuff shown off for ICS in Dec.
They are not using Nuance tech either. Google hired one of Nuance soft engineers to help work around all Nuance patents. From what I have read on it that it cost a lot of money to get around all of nuance patents which is why most companies chose to just licence the tech.

RossMacca
Jul 1, 2012, 02:43 PM
Is Google Now all done on the device or does it access as server for it's responses?

I know they've made voice typing (dictation) available offline (and it seems very fast), but I'd guess most of the Now stuff relies on an internet connect for weather, travel, news, etc.

Julien
Jul 1, 2012, 02:59 PM
Another test:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/06/29/minneapolis-street-test-google-gets-a-b-apples-siri-gets-a-d/

That's not a voice comparison. That is typing in google compared to talking to Siri.

batting1000
Jul 1, 2012, 05:16 PM
Another test:

That's not a voice comparison. That is typing in google compared to talking to Siri.

Yep, unfair test.

"Google understands 100% of the questions (not surprisingly, since they are keyed in)"

QuarterSwede
Jul 1, 2012, 05:35 PM
It is not doing local processing of the voice. What it is doing is sending it up to Google the entire time and Google is translating it in real time. It was stuff shown off for ICS in Dec.
They are not using Nuance tech either. Google hired one of Nuance soft engineers to help work around all Nuance patents. From what I have read on it that it cost a lot of money to get around all of nuance patents which is why most companies chose to just licence the tech.
Thanks Rodimus, as usual you're a wealth of information. :)

MidMan
Jul 1, 2012, 06:09 PM
To be fair, this would be a real comparison;

http://youtu.be/kw-RzN4xYyE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw-RzN4xYyE)

I think Google just made some online flash cards for the keywords. Siri trys to understand what you are saying.

mbell1975
Jul 1, 2012, 06:18 PM

I think Google just made some online flash cards for the keywards. Siri trys to understand what you are saying.

Siri got owned in every question and was much slower to respond. Yu aren't going to beat a company like Google with anything search related, they made their name off that.

onthecouchagain
Jul 1, 2012, 08:34 PM
Slightly related...

Dictation on my iPad 3 sucks, especially when the sentences start getting long.

Whereas comparatively, dictation on my Galaxy Nexus is amazingly accurate -- seriously, each time I use it, I'm shocked that it gets everything correct. Long sentences aren't a problem because it types out what you're saying as you're saying it, word by word. With iOS, it waits until you hit the Mic key again before you see text written out, and if it happens to be a long sentence, forgetaboutit. Errors a plenty.

With dictation going offline in Jelly Bean, it's going to be great.

aztooh
Jul 4, 2012, 09:28 AM
Ok, this thread is a couple of days old, but the new thread on it led me here and I have a question.

In this video, they ask "Who won the Angels game yesterday" and it brings up a box score. They ask "How tall is Kobe Bryant" and it brings up his player card from espn.com.

I ask these questions, and the only reply I ever get is "Would like like to search the web for...". Every single time. Doesn't matter which team I ask about, which player I ask about...it's always a web search.

My question is; why is this happening? Is there some hidden setting I need to turn on?

Edit: Just tried another approach: "Do the Indians play today?". Siri responded: "here's today", and started playing a song on my phone titled "today". Pretty awesome...

batting1000
Jul 4, 2012, 09:30 AM
I can do everything Google Now can do with Siri just by adding "Google" to the beginning of my question since all Google Now does is search for your answer.

----------

Ok, this thread is a couple of days old, but the new thread on it led me here and I have a question.

In this video, they ask "Who won the Angels game yesterday" and it brings up a box score. They ask "How tall is Kobe Bryant" and it brings up his player card from espn.com.

I ask these questions, and the only reply I ever get is "Would like like to search the web for...". Every single time. Doesn't matter which team I ask about, which player I ask about...it's always a web search.

My question is; why is this happening? Is there some hidden setting I need to turn on?

You have to be on iOS 6. Those features aren't in iOS 5.1.1.

aztooh
Jul 4, 2012, 10:01 AM
I can do everything Google Now can do with Siri just by adding "Google" to the beginning of my question since all Google Now does is search for your answer.

----------

You have to be on iOS 6. Those features aren't in iOS 5.1.1.

I'm dumb, overlooked that it said 6.0.

Yet another reason for me to dislike Apple. Why do we have to wait months on end to get that kind of functionality with Siri? There's no reason that can't be made into an update for us to use immediately instead of waiting for a whole "new" version of iOS. I mean, they still tag Siri as "beta" anyway, right?

Their way of doing business is becoming more and more frustrating.

batting1000
Jul 4, 2012, 10:03 AM
I'm dumb, overlooked that it said 6.0.

Yet another reason for me to dislike Apple. Why do we have to wait months on end to get that kind of functionality with Siri? There's no reason that can't be made into an update for us to use immediately instead of waiting for a whole "new" version of iOS. I mean, they still tag Siri as "beta" anyway, right?

Their way of doing business is becoming more and more frustrating.

Your logic is so flawed. Why can't Google just release Jelly Bean now? Why do Android users have to wait? I mean it's OBVIOUSLY ready, the Nexus 7 is running it. Why do Android users have to wait another few weeks to use Google Now? It works perfectly so far!

Why in the world would Apple want to test their software for bugs before it's release so it's bug free when it's ready? That sounds absurd! What company would do that???

aztooh
Jul 4, 2012, 10:09 AM
Your logic is so flawed. Why can't Google just release Jelly Bean now? Why do Android users have to wait? I mean it's OBVIOUSLY ready, the Nexus 7 is running it. Why do Android users have to wait another few weeks to use Google Now? It works perfectly so far!

JB is an entire OS revision. Updating an app is totally different.

APP vs ENTIRE OS

Talk about flawed logic.

I didn't say HEY WHY DOESN'T APPLE RELEASE IOS6?!?! IT'S OBVIOUSLY ALREADY RUNNING!

I said, why can't they release an update for Siri.

There's no reason we've had to wait an entire year to get some real functionality to Siri instead of being asked if we'd "like to search the web for that". It's a joke.

batting1000
Jul 4, 2012, 10:13 AM
Entire OS revision??? What are you on? All they did was modify how notifications look, revise how widgets act on the home screen, change how the CPU handles tasks to make things seem smoother, and add Google Now. The JB update is all but a .1 upgrade.

iOS 6 adds a multitude of new features and functions and it requires testing it get it working right. They can't add such major features to Siri without testing first.

PacificBeach
Jul 4, 2012, 10:29 AM

I think Google just made some online flash cards for the keywords. Siri trys to understand what you are saying.

WHOA Google NOW IS Awesome!!!!!!
Man I may have to get a White GSM Galaxy Nexus...........................:eek:

batting1000
Jul 4, 2012, 10:32 AM

Im confused. All you have to do is put "Google" at the beginning of your Siri queries and you'll get the EXACT same answers as Google Now. All Google Now does is search Google for you. Nothing new here.

PacificBeach
Jul 4, 2012, 10:34 AM

Wonder if a Google NOW app would be released for iOS ? :confused:

mbell1975
Jul 4, 2012, 10:38 AM
Im confused. All you have to do is put "Google" at the beginning of your Siri queries and you'll get the EXACT same answers as Google Now. All Google Now does is search Google for you. Nothing new here.

Prove it. Oh and all Siri does is say I found this for you and you have to read it. What if you are in a car and cant read your tiny little screen while driving? Google reads your answer to you and is much quicker and more accurate.

batting1000
Wonder if a Google NOW app would be released for iOS ? :confused:

It's possible, but Siri already does Google Searches so what's the point?

kevinof
Which is what Siri does.

batting1000
Jul 4, 2012, 10:40 AM
Prove it. Oh and all Siri does is say I found this for you and you have to read it. What if you are in a car and cant read your tiny little screen while driving? Google reads your answer to you and is much quicker and more accurate.

Already proved it yesterday: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15180275#post15180275

If you can't read that big bold text by taking a quick glance at your screen, you shouldn't be driving.

----------

Which is what Siri does.

Exactly. That's my point. I said it's nothing new. Siri does other stuff Google Now can't like open apps, move around calendar events, etc.

mbell1975
Jul 4, 2012, 10:47 AM
Already proved it yesterday: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15180275#post15180275

If you can't read that big bold text by taking a quick glance at your screen, you shouldn't be driving.

----------

Exactly. That's my point. I said it's nothing new. Siri does other stuff Google Now can't like open apps, move around calendar events, etc.

That doesn't prove anything. You could have just typed that into Google :rolleyes: I want to see video proof of you asking Siri that and her responding.

NZed
Jul 4, 2012, 11:10 AM

Ooooh, I here a mad apple fanboy! But then again, I am on MacRumors, tying away on my MacBook Pro and listening to music from my ipad while i load more music to my ipod and texting on my GALAXY S2. You mad?

jeffe
Jul 4, 2012, 01:01 PM
Google voice search is part of the evolution of google search. Voice in and Voice out. Specific answers to questions without having to sift through a mountain of data. That's the point.

Trust me, It is much a different experience to have a program quickly respond to your questions using a natural voice over just doing a regular web search like you are used to. These next few years are going to be very interesting to watch as it develops.

It's possible, but Siri already does Google Searches so what's the point?

matttye
Jul 4, 2012, 01:19 PM

Are you actually having a laugh? You really think it's appropriate to take your eyes off the road and read your phone while you're driving?

What a stupid thing to say. I hope you don't have a driving licence.

Vegastouch
Jul 4, 2012, 01:49 PM

Where in that article did it say he typed in those questions? And if he typed them in, why would he mention that of the 1600 questions he asked, 800 of them were in a quite room while the other 800 were on the bust streets?

Yeah im sure he "typed" them in because it really matters if he were on a busy street or in a quite room.:rolleyes:

Did you guys even READ the article? You cant be that dense.

batting1000
Jul 4, 2012, 01:50 PM
That doesn't prove anything. You could have just typed that into Google :rolleyes: I want to see video proof of you asking Siri that and her responding.

That's fine but if I tell Siri to search that, I'll get the same results. Why do I need a video to show that Siri can search google when we all know she can?

batting1000
Jul 4, 2012, 01:53 PM
Are you actually having a laugh? You really think it's appropriate to take your eyes off the road and read your phone while you're driving?

What a stupid thing to say. I hope you don't have a driving licence.

I wasn't saying you should be using your phone while driving. You cannot sit here and tell me you've never looked at your phone when you're sitting at a light. I didn't mean while you were driving.

Stop putting words into my mouth.

batting1000
Jul 4, 2012, 01:53 PM
Where in that article did it say he typed in those questions? And if he typed them in, why would he mention that of the 1600 questions he asked, 800 of them were in a quite room while the other 800 were on the bust streets?

Yeah im sure he "typed" them in because it really matters if he were on a busy street or in a quite room.:rolleyes:

No. Did YOU read the article.

Yep, unfair test.

"Google understands 100% of the questions (not surprisingly, since they are keyed in)"

Vegastouch
Jul 4, 2012, 01:57 PM
No. Did YOU read the article.

YES, and i posted what he said how he took the test. I guess you didnt.

matttye
Jul 4, 2012, 01:59 PM
I wasn't saying you should be using your phone while driving. You cannot sit here and tell me you've never looked at your phone when you're sitting at a light. I didn't mean while you were driving.

Stop putting words into my mouth.

Perhaps if you were more specific people wouldn't assume things.

Course I look at things when I'm at a light or in a queue of traffic. :)

batting1000
Jul 4, 2012, 02:01 PM

Well you would have seen the author said all the Google Now tests were typed.

matttye
Jul 4, 2012, 02:03 PM

It is definitely comparing typed Google searches to searches using Siri. There's a few bits of evidence in the article: -

1. "Google understands 100% of the questions (not surprisingly, since they are keyed in)" - keyed in, aka typed in.

2. "Siri comprehends 83% of queries in noisy conditions, 89% in a quiet room" - there is no mention of Google's performance in noisy/quiet conditions (because it's typed).

3. "'In order to become a viable mobile search alternative,' Munster writes, 'Siri must match or surpass Google's accuracy of B+ and move from a grade D to a B or higher.'" - Google voice search can't possibly be a more viable mobile search alternative yet because it's not even officially released. It therefore must be talking about something that's already out; typed Google searches.

I thought the same at first, that it was talking about Google voice search, but it's not. It's comparing the tried and true typed Google search to a Siri search.

batting1000
Jul 4, 2012, 02:06 PM

Here's a video of Siri searching Google;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn04UXkOESE

Of course that's not really an informational question but it just shows that Siri searches Google. Had he said something like "Google How old is Will Smith?" it would have opened Google and showed his age and birthday JUST like Google Now would.

jeffe
Jul 4, 2012, 02:22 PM
Wrong, google voice search would specifically answer your question verbally using a near-human voice.

Siri opens a web browser and then places a web search for you returning a listing of google results that you have to look at.

There is a difference.

Here's a video of Siri searching Google;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn04UXkOESE

Of course that's not really an informational question but it just shows that Siri searches Google. Had he said something like "Google How old is Will Smith?" it would have opened Google and showed his age and birthday JUST like Google Now would.

Vegastouch
Jul 4, 2012, 02:25 PM
It is definitely comparing typed Google searches to searches using Siri. There's a few bits of evidence in the article: -

1. "Google understands 100% of the questions (not surprisingly, since they are keyed in)" - keyed in, aka typed in.

2. "Siri comprehends 83% of queries in noisy conditions, 89% in a quiet room" - there is no mention of Google's performance in noisy/quiet conditions (because it's typed).

3. "'In order to become a viable mobile search alternative,' Munster writes, 'Siri must match or surpass Google's accuracy of B+ and move from a grade D to a B or higher.'" - Google voice search can't possibly be a more viable mobile search alternative yet because it's not even officially released. It therefore must be talking about something that's already out; typed Google searches.

I thought the same at first, that it was talking about Google voice search, but it's not. It's comparing the tried and true typed Google search to a Siri search.

I dont think it is clear he typed them in. Sure he says they were keyed in but then with he responses of how Siri needs to step it up and the fact he would give grades by doing it that way imo are lame.

So i emailed him and asked him. Im waiting for a response.

In the posted youtube videos, Google clearly is much better than Siri.

batting1000
Jul 4, 2012, 02:25 PM
Wrong, google voice search would specifically answer your question verbally using a near-human voice.

Siri opens a web browser and then places a web search for you returning a listing of google results.

There is a difference.

How am I wrong? I told you it would open Google...

Here's what happens in order:

Google now does the same thing and shows the same data. It just gets read to you. I don't expect Siri to read it to me because I'm being brought to the browser. Who cares if it doesn't read it to me? I'm more than capable.

jeffe
Jul 4, 2012, 02:39 PM
Because it is not just like google voice search would, the new google voice search would respond to your question verbally.

How am I wrong? I told you it would open Google...

Google now does the same thing and shows the same data. It just gets read to you. I don't expect Siri to read it to me because I'm being brought to the browser. He cares if it doesn't read it to me? I'm more than capable.

batting1000
Jul 4, 2012, 02:40 PM
Because it is not just like google voice search would, the new google voice search would respond to your question verbally.

You can just read it yourself. What's the big deal?

matttye
Jul 4, 2012, 02:43 PM

Because if you're going to use your voice it's probably because you can't look. If you could look, why not just type it?

batting1000
Jul 4, 2012, 02:45 PM
Because if you're going to use your voice it's probably because you can't look. If you could look, why not just type it?

Again that's not true. Siri or Google Now aren't only for eyes free operation.

matttye
Jul 4, 2012, 02:46 PM
I dont think it is clear he typed them in. Sure he says they were keyed in but then with he responses of how Siri needs to step it up and the fact he would give grades by doing it that way imo are lame.

So i emailed him and asked him. Im waiting for a response.

In the posted youtube videos, Google clearly is much better than Siri.

I agree. Google has the best voice recognition by far. The only thing is that it doesn't seem as intelligent as Siri - yet.

You can't say things like "remind me to get milk when I leave" or "am I working tomorrow?" as far as I know. They're just a couple of examples of many.

jeffe
Jul 4, 2012, 02:46 PM

I can also just open safari and type in my query myself. Whats the big deal with opening siri and saying "google blah blah"?

This is an advancement of Google search and is just Google continuing to evolve. Whether you think it is a big deal or not is subjective.

matttye
Jul 4, 2012, 02:49 PM
Again that's not true. Siri or Google Now aren't only for eyes free operation.

Nope, but at least you have the option with Google.

If you're asking a question by voice, you more than likely want a response by voice too. If you ask a question by typing, you more than likely want a typed response.

If you send someone a letter, you usually expect a response "by return." That's the usual method of communicating.

batting1000
Jul 4, 2012, 02:55 PM
In iOS 6, Wolfram Alpha results are being read aloud to me.

jeffe
Jul 4, 2012, 02:59 PM
oh really...do you think that is an improvement made to siri?

In iOS 6, Wolfram Alpha results are being read aloud to me.

batting1000
Jul 4, 2012, 03:00 PM
oh really...do you think that is an improvement made to siri?

Sure, it's nice to have.

Julien
Jul 4, 2012, 03:07 PM

...Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster has put Siri to the test, asking his iPhone 1,600 questions in total...When testing Google, the search engine understood 100 per cent of the typed in questions and replied accurately 86 per cent of the time, earning a B+ from the analyst....

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=E65BE88A-0DFA-4A90-3488D9EF7BF30A64

Vegastouch
Jul 4, 2012, 03:31 PM
http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=E65BE88A-0DFA-4A90-3488D9EF7BF30A64

Why dont you quote the article that was written by the guy who did the testing? In that, he didnt say he "typed" them in and why i sent him an email. So though it suggests he may have, his posted results that dont make sense to me that he would do that(typing them in) while saying Siri needs to step it up.

In your posted article, Siri was called "poo-poo" by Woz.

You could very well be right , but i just dont see the point of making a test of both while not asking both the same questions.

However, youtube vids posted here make Google Now look much better.

batting1000
Jul 4, 2012, 03:33 PM
Why dont you quote the article that was written by the guy who did the testing? In that, he didnt say he typed them in and why i sent him an email. So though i suggests he may have, his posted results dont make sense to me that he would do that while saying Siri needs to tep it up.

In your posted article, Siri was called "poo-poo".

Quoted.

Google understands 100% of the questions (not surprisingly, since they are keyed in)
Google replies accurately 86% of the time
Siri comprehends 83% of queries in noisy conditions, 89% in a quiet room
Siri answers accurately 62% of the time on the street and 68% in a quiet room.

matttye
Jul 4, 2012, 03:34 PM
Why dont you quote the article that was written by the guy who did the testing? In that, he didnt say he "typed" them in and why i sent him an email. So though it suggests he may have, his posted results that dont make sense to me that he would do that(typing them in) while saying Siri needs to step it up.

In your posted article, Siri was called "poo-poo" by Woz.

I think he's comparing them because they're both used for search. It don't really matter that one is voice activated and the other typed; he's simply comparing their ability to search.

Vegastouch
Jul 4, 2012, 03:39 PM
I think he's comparing them because they're both used for search. It don't really matter that one is voice activated and the other typed; he's simply comparing their ability to search.

Well i think he should ask both systems but still, you cant convince the Apple fans it was a legit test because Siri lost. I mean the videos are better proof that Google is much better but the fanboys want to only point to the article.

Video dont lie.

mbell1975
Jul 4, 2012, 04:00 PM
I can also just open safari and type in my query myself. Whats the big deal with opening siri and saying "google blah blah"?

This is an advancement of Google search and is just Google continuing to evolve. Whether you think it is a big deal or not is subjective.

Exactly. That Siri search is the equivalent of just using the speech to text in the Google search bar, big deal. Google Now is a ton better.

batting1000
Jul 4, 2012, 04:10 PM
Exactly. That Siri search is the equivalent of just using the speech to text in the Google search bar, big deal. Google Now is a ton better.

There you go again, bashing Apple like you did with Android only a few months ago...

jeffe
Jul 4, 2012, 04:33 PM
Shouldn't discount Siri as it is useful as well and its a big deal for lots of people.

Julien
Jul 5, 2012, 05:54 AM
Well i think he should ask both systems but still....

It was not about Siri vs Google or voice recognition vs voice recognition. It was about evaluating how well Siri does at replacing the gold standard of search, Google. So the question he was answering was: How good is Siri voice at replacing your standard (normal) way of searching (Google typed).

gladoscc
Jul 17, 2012, 01:21 AM
Questions that both Siri and Google Now can answer
What's the weather?
What restaurants are nearby?
Set a timer for 10 minutes

etc

Questions that Siri can't answer but Google Now can answer
What is the best selling PS2 game?
How can I fix CLR error 40048008?
What does 404 mean?

How does Google Now answer it? Google search, that's it. There's Knowledge Graph for instant answers, but Knowledge Graph is limited. Google search can handle whatever you throw on it.

There's really only two search engines, Google and Bing. Yahoo = Bing. Duckduckgo = Bing. Aol = Bing. Building a search engine is a tremendous task, and you can't compete with Google, just like how you can't compete with Facebook. Lots have tried, all has failed. Apple won't be the exception.

So, since Google is Apple's enemy, Siri can't integrate Google results. Microsoft (Bing) has Windows Phone. The only thing left for Apple to do is to build their own search engine, and if they did, they're just throwing their money away, as they won't be 10% as successful as google no matter how hard they try. Google would cancel the Safari default search contract, people will buy Android phones just so they can use google.

Siri needs more informational sources. But Google Now has all information sources. Google Now can answer every question that can be answered by a google search, which is practically everything. Siri is just Wolfram alpha with some device functions.

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 02:24 AM
What's the weather?

etc

What does 404 mean?

How does Google Now answer it? Google search, that's it. There's Knowledge Graph for instant answers, but Knowledge Graph is limited. Google search can handle whatever you throw on it.

There's really only two search engines, Google and Bing. Yahoo = Bing. Duckduckgo = Bing. Aol = Bing. Building a search engine is a tremendous task, and you can't compete with Google, just like how you can't compete with Facebook. Lots have tried, all has failed. Apple won't be the exception.

So, since Google is Apple's enemy, Siri can't integrate Google results. Microsoft (Bing) has Windows Phone. The only thing left for Apple to do is to build their own search engine, and if they did, they're just throwing their money away, as they won't be 10% as successful as google no matter how hard they try. Google would cancel the Safari default search contract, people will buy Android phones just so they can use google.

Siri needs more informational sources. But Google Now has all information sources. Google Now can answer every question that can be answered by a google search, which is practically everything. Siri is just Wolfram alpha with some device functions.

I agree with you that Google Now is better, but I disagree on the reasons why. Yes Google answers questions better than Siri, but that's just a part of it. Google Now does other things, like check the traffic to your most likely next destination and shows you the travel time, traffic, and routes to get there. It does that automatically without you having to do anything. If you're waiting at a bus stop, Google Now will automatically tell you what time the next bus should arrive. When your favorite team is playing, Google Now will update you with the score of the game, automatically. If you have an appointment scheduled, Google Now will check the time it will take to get there (with current traffic), and notify you of when you should leave. Again, it does this automatically. It is this kind of stuff that is the reason Google Now is better than Siri in my opinion. Voice searching is just a piece of the puzzle.

Vegasryn
Jul 17, 2012, 02:31 AM
What's the weather?

etc

What does 404 mean?

The 3 things you said SIRI couldnt answer - she actually could be prefacing it with "google" ...brings up a google search result which is the only thing that google is doing anyways...dont see your argument

nuckinfutz
Jul 17, 2012, 02:33 AM
[

Siri does need more resources but it's not a voice enabled Wolfram and Siri isn't designed to leverage the web as its sole resource but rather just an adjunct to it's own built in hierarchy of domains.

The idea isn't to pool the vast amount of web resources which tend to be tainted by SEO and other tricks. The idea is to tap in rich sources of information that reside in databases like Wolfram or Yelp or SBNation.

CallOfDuty
Jul 17, 2012, 02:43 AM
I'm quite an Apple fanatic, but I do agree that Google Now is indeed on par if not in some cases better than Siri. Google Now, as proved by many sources, it much faster than Siri.

With Android 4.1 Jelly, if I'm not mistaken, speech to text is now done right on the phone, offline. Then it sends these package to the server and the server immediately processes the required information and sends it back to you. On the other hand, Siri sends your voice recording to its server and the server converts these packets into text and processes the information before sending it back to you. This is why Google now is way faster than Siri - It edges in speed by doing voice processing right on the phone, skipping a step compared to Siri.

Of course, this is based on my own theory of why Google Now is much faster, I derived at this theory since they said that offline voice to text is available on Jelly bean. I watched many videos of Google Now in action and I noticed that they actually do voice processing simultaneously as you speak- so it seems to me its done on the phone itself. Of course, If i'm wrong I do accept criticism.

Google Now is much more functional than Siri while Siri is more personal deep down. While you can sometimes crack informal conversations with Siri, With Google Now you can't. So i guess Google Now is more of a nerd than Siri. So it actually depends on your preference.
Right now, Google Now edges Siri in terms of Functually and is slightly better overall. But once iOS 6 releases, Siri would tie Google Now again with new functionalities.

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 03:13 AM
The 3 things you said SIRI couldnt answer - she actually could be prefacing it with "google" ...brings up a google search result which is the only thing that google is doing anyways...dont see your argument
But the whole point in Siri is to not have to remember commands. If you have to think about if Siri can answer the question or not, and if you should instead do a Google search, then it has come up short. A person shouldn't have to give that much thought to what they are about to ask. They should be able to just ask it, and let the phone figure it out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm quite an Apple fanatic, but I do agree that Google Now is indeed on par if not in some cases better than Siri. Google Now, as proved by many sources, it much faster than Siri.

With Android 4.1 Jelly, if I'm not mistaken, speech to text is now done right on the phone, offline. Then it sends these package to the server and the server immediately processes the required information and sends it back to you. On the other hand, Siri sends your voice recording to its server and the server converts these packets into text and processes the information before sending it back to you. This is why Google now is way faster than Siri - It edges in speed by doing voice processing right on the phone, skipping a step compared to Siri.

Of course, this is based on my own theory of why Google Now is much faster, I derived at this theory since they said that offline voice to text is available on Jelly bean. I watched many videos of Google Now in action and I noticed that they actually do voice processing simultaneously as you speak- so it seems to me its done on the phone itself. Of course, If i'm wrong I do accept criticism.

Google Now is much more functional than Siri while Siri is more personal deep down. While you can sometimes crack informal conversations with Siri, With Google Now you can't. So i guess Google Now is more of a nerd than Siri. So it actually depends on your preference.
Right now, Google Now edges Siri in terms of Functually and is slightly better overall. But once iOS 6 releases, Siri would tie Google Now again with new functionalities.
I think Google didn't make it conversational because beyond the novelty of it, it really has no use. I've had many different "conversations" with Siri, but it's more of an entertainment thing than a useful thing.

As for you saying Siri is more personal than Google Now, I have to say you are wrong. Google Now combines all of what Google already knows about you from your activity across all Google's products (that's why that privacy policy change was significant), and makes predictions and suggestions based on what Google knows about you. Google Now can predict your most likely next destination based on your past travels. Siri doesn't have anything even remotely as intimate as that. Google Now is definitely MUCH more personal.

As for iOS6 bringing Siri back on par with Google Now, that won't happen. Yes Siri will get new functions in iOS 6, but it still won't be able to do any of the automatic things that take place on their own in Google Now. For example, Google Now can check the traffic to your most likely next destination and shows you the travel time, traffic, and routes to get there. It does that automatically without you having to do anything. If you're waiting at a bus stop, Google Now will automatically tell you what time the next bus should arrive. When your favorite team is playing, Google Now will update you with the score of the game, automatically. If you have an appointment scheduled, Google Now will check the time it will take to get there (with current traffic), and notify you of when you should leave. Again, it does this automatically.

decafjava
Jul 17, 2012, 04:11 AM
Duckduckgo = Bing.

I call BS, where did you get this info??

Here are their sources:

http://help.duckduckgo.com/customer/portal/articles/216399-sources

DuckDuckGo gets its results from over 50 sources, including DuckDuckBot (our own crawler), crowd-sourced sites (in our own index), Yahoo! (through BOSS), embed.ly, WolframAlpha, EntireWeb, Bing, and Blekko.

Bing is one of many sources, and they still don't track you or bubble you so +1 for DDG.

DodgeV83
Jul 17, 2012, 06:06 AM

Exactly. I don't think people realize this. I compared Siri and Google now with a friend, he said "Movies in my city" and I said "Google movies in my city". The results were 100% exactly the same. The interface of the results even looked identical, as Google Now simply brought up the Gogle Search.

From what I've seen, that part of Google now is simply a front-end to a dictation of Goole Search.

The real comparison is the AI of Siri, vs the automation aspects of Google Now. I haven't seen any indication that the Google Now automation (traffic, bus stops...etc) actually works well, and doesn't kill your battery life in the process. The idea of my phone constantly checking it's location so it can download things in the background for me in case happen to check, doesn't seem very battery efficient. People on XDA are already turning it off for "HUGE battery savings" and recommending others turn it off as well.

On the other hand, I've already seen how the AI in Siri sets it apart:

"Remind me when I get to my Dad's to call Mom and let her know I arrived."

"When is my next meeting with Scott?"

"Am I free tomorrow at 11am?"

"Wake me up in 8 hours"

"Move my 3pm meeting to 4:30"

"Reschedule my appointment with Dr. manning to next Monday at 9am"

"Tell my girlfriend I'll be 10 minutes late"

"Remind me when I leave, to pick up milk"

"Did my girlfriend send me an email today?"

"Show me my last email from my Mom"

"Play my work playlist" - and have it play from the cloud if the songs aren't on my device

"Read my messages" - then - "Reply see you then!"

"Find the email about iPad" - then - "Reply sure, let's get it."

"When is my next meeting?" - then - "Cancel it"

"Cancel all my meetings for today"

"Is my son still at school?"

It's Siri's intelligence that sets it apart from just dictating the words into a Google search.

CallOfDuty
Jul 17, 2012, 06:07 AM
But the whole point in Siri is to not have to remember commands. If you have to think about if Siri can answer the question or not, and if you should instead do a Google search, then it has come up short. A person shouldn't have to give that much thought to what they are about to ask. They should be able to just ask it, and let the phone figure it out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Google didn't make it conversational because beyond the novelty of it, it really has no use. I've had many different "conversations" with Siri, but it's more of an entertainment thing than a useful thing.

As for you saying Siri is more personal than Google Now, I have to say you are wrong. Google Now combines all of what Google already knows about you from your activity across all Google's products (that's why that privacy policy change was significant), and makes predictions and suggestions based on what Google knows about you. Google Now can predict your most likely next destination based on your past travels. Siri doesn't have anything even remotely as intimate as that. Google Now is definitely MUCH more personal.

As for iOS6 bringing Siri back on par with Google Now, that won't happen. Yes Siri will get new functions in iOS 6, but it still won't be able to do any of the automatic things that take place on their own in Google Now. For example, Google Now can check the traffic to your most likely next destination and shows you the travel time, traffic, and routes to get there. It does that automatically without you having to do anything. If you're waiting at a bus stop, Google Now will automatically tell you what time the next bus should arrive. When your favorite team is playing, Google Now will update you with the score of the game, automatically. If you have an appointment scheduled, Google Now will check the time it will take to get there (with current traffic), and notify you of when you should leave. Again, it does this automatically.

Quite agreed. I don't have a 4S, I have a 4. But I couldn't see myself talking to Siri like a friend when I get the new iPhone slated to come out. I guess I totally forgot about the whole integration part. But what I meant was siri was personal as in it has more personality, which I personally find useless. Google Now is simply more integrated with your life, which is shown by what you've said.

So, Google Now > Siri? :)

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 07:20 PM
Quite agreed. I don't have a 4S, I have a 4. But I couldn't see myself talking to Siri like a friend when I get the new iPhone slated to come out. I guess I totally forgot about the whole integration part. But what I meant was siri was personal as in it has more personality, which I personally find useless. Google Now is simply more integrated with your life, which is shown by what you've said.

So, Google Now > Siri? :)

I definitely have to agree. Siri is only useful in those times you actually use it (for me that's once or twice a week). Google Now is useful regardless of if you are actively using it or not. It will be interesting to see what other features they add when Key Lime Pie comes out later this year.

----------

Exactly. I don't think people realize this. I compared Siri and Google now with a friend, he said "Movies in my city" and I said "Google movies in my city". The results were 100% exactly the same. The interface of the results even looked identical, as Google Now simply brought up the Gogle Search.

From what I've seen, that part of Google now is simply a front-end to a dictation of Goole Search.

The real comparison is the AI of Siri, vs the automation aspects of Google Now. I haven't seen any indication that the Google Now automation (traffic, bus stops...etc) actually works well, and doesn't kill your battery life in the process. The idea of my phone constantly checking it's location so it can download things in the background for me in case happen to check, doesn't seem very battery efficient. People on XDA are already turning it off for "HUGE battery savings" and recommending others turn it off as well.

No Google Now doesn't add extra drain on the battery. I can attest to that from actual use of it. As for saying you can just say "Google" before a search, the whole point in Siri is to not have to remember commands. If you have to think about if Siri can answer the question or not, and if you should instead do a Google search, then it has come up short. A person shouldn't have to give that much thought to what they are about to ask. They should be able to just ask it, and let the phone figure it out. You shouldn't have to remember to say "Google" in front of certain things, but not in front of others.

oBMTo
Jul 17, 2012, 07:22 PM
It's Siri's intelligence that sets it apart from just dictating the words into a Google search.

I guess Siri asking if I wanted picture of a stallion while I asked for the score of the last Kansas City game was pretty intelligent.

DodgeV83
Jul 17, 2012, 08:16 PM
I definitely have to agree. Siri is only useful in those times you actually use it (for me that's once or twice a week). Google Now is useful regardless of if you are actively using it or not. It will be interesting to see what other features they add when Key Lime Pie comes out later this year.

----------

No Google Now doesn't add extra drain on the battery. I can attest to that from actual use of it. As for saying you can just say "Google" before a search, the whole point in Siri is to not have to remember commands. If you have to think about if Siri can answer the question or not, and if you should instead do a Google search, then it has come up short. A person shouldn't have to give that much thought to what they are about to ask. They should be able to just ask it, and let the phone figure it out. You shouldn't have to remember to say "Google" in front of certain things, but not in front of others.

The Google Now cards feature is a constant drain on the battery, this is an indisputable fact. It is constantly checking your location and constantly downloading in the background. Unless you are asserting that there is a separate source of electricity that powers these features besides the battery, I don't see how you can argue it doesn't add extra battery drain.

The argument being made here, isn't that Google Now is better than Siri because it provides the same information in a more efficient manner, the argument being made is that those Google Now information searches are something that Siri can't do.

That argument is incorrect. All the video shows is that Google now defaults to a Google Search, while Siri defaults to a more local search before resorting to Google. If it can't find the answer locally, it asks if you'd like to do a Google Search.

For example, on Google Now, if you ask "What's my girlfriend's email address?"...it will do a google search for "What's my girlfriend's email address?" which completely fails.

If I ask Siri the same question, and Siri doesn't know who my girlfriend is, it will ask, "Who is your girlfriend?", I will provide the answer, and Siri will give me her address. From then on, Siri will know who my girlfriend is, and will not ask again.

Now for the opposite, if I ask Google Now, "Where is that Egyptian museum in San Jose?"...it does a Google Search and shows me.

If I ask Siri the same question, it will respond, "I don't know that. Would you like to search the web?", and when I confirm it will provide the exact same answer as Google Now. However, I have the option to simply say "Google where is that Egyptian museum in San Jose?"...and it will provide the exact same answer, with exactly the same speed as Google Now.

In this example, both Siri and Google Now give exactly the same result, only Siri will give an additional prompt of you don't say "Google" or "Search the web for" first. In the "What's my girlfriend's email address?" example, however, Google Now falls flat, as it has no intelligence, and simply performs a Google Search.

As I said earlier, it is simply a front-end to a dictation of Google Search.

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 08:39 PM
The Google Now cards feature is a constant drain on the battery, this is an indisputable fact. It is constantly checking your location and constantly downloading in the background. Unless you are asserting that there is a separate source of electricity that powers these features besides the battery, I don't see how you can argue it doesn't add extra battery drain.
The problem here, is you're speculating based on logic. I'm giving you real world use. Real world use > speculation. The problem with your logic is that, you fail to realize the phones where already tracking you anyway. When you first set the phone up and it asks you to give Google permission to track your location. So the phone was already gathering the same information it is now in Google Now. The difference is now it displays the cards, whereas before it didn't. The phone is still performing the same functions as before, hence no extra battery drain.

That argument is incorrect. All the video shows is that Google now defaults to a Google Search, while Siri defaults to a more local search before resorting to Google. If it can't find the answer locally, it asks if you'd like to do a Google Search.

For example, on Google Now, if you ask "What's my girlfriend's email address?"...it will do a google search for "What's my girlfriend's email address?" which completely fails.

If I ask Siri the same question, and Siri doesn't know who my girlfriend is, it will ask, "Who is your girlfriend?", I will provide the answer, and Siri will give me her address. From then on, Siri will know who my girlfriend is, and will not ask again.

So Siri assigns a label to a contact, big deal. I can just as easily ask Google Now to show me the contact information for the person I'm asking about. The difference is, you saying girlfriend or saying their name. From a functionality standpoint, it's exactly the same. Titles really aren't necessary, and don't add anything to the experience. The same way you can say a title, you can say a name. So in that, it is par.

Now for the opposite, if I ask Google Now, "Where is that Egyptian museum in San Jose?"...it does a Google Search and shows me.

If I ask Siri the same question, it will respond, "I don't know that. Would you like to search the web?", and when I confirm it will provide the exact same answer as Google Now. However, I have the option to simply say "Google where is that Egyptian museum in San Jose?"...and it will provide the exact same answer, with exactly the same speed as Google Now.

I'm not interested in having to think about what kinds of questions I need to say "Google" in front of. I just want to ask my phone my question and let it sort it out. I shouldn't have to remember to say "Google" in front of some things, and not in front of others. I should just be able to ask my question and let the phone do the work.

Google Now falls flat, as it has no intelligence, and simply performs a Google Search.

You have a very loose definition of intelligence. Assigning a label to a contact isn't intelligent, that's just cataloging. Intelligence is having an appointment scheduled for 3:00pm, there's traffic that's going to make it take 20 minutes longer to get there, and your phone notifying you that you should leave 20 minutes earlier to arrive on time due to traffic. That's intelligent. Intelligent is your phone knowing where you are about to go, and planning your route without you even inputting anything into it to tell it that. Intelligent is your phone knowing the Braves are playing, and periodically notifying you of the score because it's your favorite team. Intelligent is your phone notifying you of what time the next train is going to get there as you wait on the train platform. Intelligent is your phone suggesting a place for you to go eat, based on past places you've went to (even though you never input it into the phone even in the past). These things are what intelligent is. Intelligent is your phone knowing you and learning you, not recalling a pre-defined label you manually assigned to a contact in your phone.

You're selling it short big time.

batting1000
Jul 17, 2012, 08:57 PM

This was the point I was trying to get across in this thread.

----------

How? It's the truth...

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 09:02 PM
This was the point I was trying to get across in this thread.

----------

How? It's the truth...

Because in order to arrive at that conclusion, you'd have to ignore everything else it does.

DodgeV83
Jul 17, 2012, 09:35 PM
The problem here, is you're speculating based on logic. I'm giving you real world use. Real world use > speculation. The problem with your logic is that, you fail to realize the phones where already tracking you anyway. When you first set the phone up and it asks you to give Google permission to track your location. So the phone was already gathering the same information it is now in Google Now. The difference is now it displays the cards, whereas before it didn't. The phone is still performing the same functions as before, hence no extra battery drain.

So Siri assigns a label to a contact, big deal. I can just as easily ask Google Now to show me the contact information for the person I'm asking about. The difference is, you saying girlfriend or saying their name. From a functionality standpoint, it's exactly the same. Titles really aren't necessary, and don't add anything to the experience. The same way you can say a title, you can say a name. So in that, it is par.

I'm not interested in having to think about what kinds of questions I need to say "Google" in front of. I just want to ask my phone my question and let it sort it out. I shouldn't have to remember to say "Google" in front of some things, and not in front of others. I should just be able to ask my question and let the phone do the work.

You have a very loose definition of intelligence. Assigning a label to a contact isn't intelligent, that's just cataloging. Intelligence is having an appointment scheduled for 3:00pm, there's traffic that's going to make it take 20 minutes longer to get there, and your phone notifying you that you should leave 20 minutes earlier to arrive on time due to traffic. That's intelligent. Intelligent is your phone knowing where you are about to go, and planning your route without you even inputting anything into it to tell it that. Intelligent is your phone knowing the Braves are playing, and periodically notifying you of the score because it's your favorite team. Intelligent is your phone notifying you of what time the next train is going to get there as you wait on the train platform. Intelligent is your phone suggesting a place for you to go eat, based on past places you've went to (even though you never input it into the phone even in the past). These things are what intelligent is. Intelligent is your phone knowing you and learning you, not recalling a pre-defined label you manually assigned to a contact in your phone.

I agree with about half of what you said.

Yes, the functionality you described is very intelligent, which is why I'm not really bashing it. My only comments towards the Cards functionality, is its accuracy, it's usefullness, and it's hit on battery. Read up on how the Google Now Cards work:

http://support.google.com/nexus/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2669989

Do your research, and you will see the phone is not already gathering this location information. It's just like Google Latitude, another useful Google feature that most people turn off because of the hit on battery life. Do a search for Google Latitude Battery and you'll see the complaints.

There really isn't any debating this point, there is no room for differing opinions here, it is a fact. You can debate that the hit on battery life is worth it, you can even argue that the hit is so small that most people wouldn't notice, but you cannot argue there is no hit on battery life when it is constantly checking your location, constantly checking traffic and constantly downloading information based on what it knows about you.

Regarding accuracy, my friend has Cards enabled on his phone, and it recently woke him up on a Saturday telling him he has to leave for work soon :) It's not perfect yet, and I'm sure that part will get better. I'm just not impressed with Google Traffic in general. It still tells me it'll take 24 minutes to commute during rush hour, when I know it takes me an hour minimum. If something's going to be giving me traffic based alerts, I don't want it to be Google Traffic.

While I find it interesting you think it doesn't impact the experience to have to say the persons name instead of "girlfriend", but it does impact the experience if you say "Google" in front of your search term, you're still missing the point. Even if you don't say "Google" with Siri, it will still give you the same information. Google Now will never tell me my girlfriend's email address, no matter how I say it.

In any case, that's just a single example, there are numerous examples where Siri is more intelligent than Google Now.

The main problem with your argument The iGentleman, is you're using Cards as an example of Google Now's intelligence, in a thread that's not about cards. The video does not depict cards, it depicts a series of questions asked by the user, and in this category, Siri's intelligence wins.

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 10:21 PM
Do your research, and you will see the phone is not already gathering this location information. It's just like Google Latitude, another useful Google feature that most people turn off because of the hit on battery life. Do a search for Google Latitude Battery and you'll see the complaints.
What you fail to realize is, Google already is getting this information. Latitude is totally different from what I am talking about. When you first set the phone up, it asks you to give Google permission to track your location for improved searching. Google is already following you anyway. The difference is now they show you things as it relates to your location. There's no extra hit because it really isn't doing much of anything extra. Like I said, my battery life is no different at all with Google Now enabled. You're speaking theory, I'm speaking actual use.

There really isn't any debating this point, there is no room for differing opinions here, it is a fact. You can debate that the hit on battery life is worth it, you can even argue that the hit is so small that most people wouldn't notice, but you cannot argue there is no hit on battery life when it is constantly checking your location, constantly checking traffic and constantly downloading information based on what it knows about you.

You're right, this isn't up for debate. You're speculating and I'm talking first-hand real world use. You have no say until you've actually used it day to day in real life. You can theorize all you want, but your theories have no bearing on actuality.

Regarding accuracy, my friend has Cards enabled on his phone, and it recently woke him up on a Saturday telling him he has to leave for work soon :) It's not perfect yet, and I'm sure that part will get better. I'm just not impressed with Google Traffic in general. It still tells me it'll take 24 minutes to commute during rush hour, when I know it takes me an hour minimum. If something's going to be giving me traffic based alerts, I don't want it to be Google Traffic.
Can't speak for your experience, but I've used Google Navigation for a couple years now, and I've found it to be quite accurate actually. I've no qualms with it. As a matter of fact, it even gets traffic reports on streets that other traffic services don't even have (like smaller less major streets).

While I find it interesting you think it doesn't impact the experience to have to say the persons name instead of "girlfriend", but it does impact the experience if you say "Google" in front of your search term, you're still missing the point. Even if you don't say "Google" with Siri, it will still give you the same information. Google Now will never tell me my girlfriend's email address, no matter how I say it.
Saying "girlfriend" or saying her first name is no difference at all. Having to remember to say "Google" before certain things and not before others (depending on what I'm asking), is having to do too much. BTW, if I ask Google now "email for Daryl", it shows me a card with his email address.

In any case, that's just a single example, there are numerous examples where Siri is more intelligent than Google Now.

That's not much of an example. Intelligent would have been if Siri knew who your girlfriend was without you having to define it. Having to manually define titles/labels for people is not intelligent at all, that's just cataloging. If I have to go in and manually tell my phone who "mom" is, or who "girlfriend" is, that isn't intelligent at all. That's just assigning an alias to a contact. Nothing intelligent about that at all.

The main problem with your argument The iGentleman, is you're using Cards as an example of Google Now's intelligence, in a thread that's not about cards. The video does not depict cards, it depicts a series of questions asked by the user, and in this category, Siri's intelligence wins.
The problem is, people such as yourself who are taking only a small portion of the picture and saying, of Siri can do that too, but ignore the rest of everything else.

nuckinfutz
Jul 17, 2012, 10:22 PM
iG

Give it up. You got owned.

The iGentleman
Jul 17, 2012, 10:36 PM
iG

Give it up. You got owned.

Not even close....come with something better than that. Apparently you've nothing of substance to contribute to the discussion. In light of these facts *points at exit*. ;)

jessicajes
Jul 24, 2012, 01:46 AM
BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha (http://gm.kochar.com/post/bb-10-os-will-have-a-siri-like-voice-assistant.aspx) allows you to use the mute key to unveil a voice assistant app which enable you to control the device by just talking into it.Competition is getting very hard day by day because Most of the handset makers are coming out with their own voice assistant apps, the . However, everybody knows who is still top in the game, and Siri has been implemented in a better way.:(:)

The iGentleman
Jul 24, 2012, 02:22 AM
BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha (http://gm.kochar.com/post/bb-10-os-will-have-a-siri-like-voice-assistant.aspx) allows you to use the mute key to unveil a voice assistant app which enable you to control the device by just talking into it.Competition is getting very hard day by day because Most of the handset makers are coming out with their own voice assistant apps, the . However, everybody knows who is still top in the game, and Siri has been implemented in a better way.:(:)

How is Siri better implemented?

majuha
Jul 24, 2012, 07:16 AM
I got a couple of questions for you people using Google Voice Search.

Can Google Voice Search use other browsers than Google? Yahoo, Wikipedia?

Can it read or compose new messages?

Can you send a new text message to multiple people?

Can you add location specific reminders? (fx. Remind me to prepare dinner when I get home)

Can you search/book/move/delete meetings?

Open apps?

Look for local restaurants? (fx. I want some thai)

Translate?

Thanks!