PDA

View Full Version : Good bye mobile me ..

aPple nErd
Jun 30, 2012, 11:55 PM
Well I'm staying up to see the end of mobile me. Only 7 minutes :( oh well end of an era. Sorry I'm really tired lol

Drew017
Jul 1, 2012, 12:47 AM
Just to let you know... Apple usually runs on Cupertino time... so you will be staying up for a lot longer than 7 minutes ;)

Comeagain?
Jul 1, 2012, 01:07 AM
Just to let you know... Apple usually runs on Cupertino time... so you will be staying up for a lot longer than 7 minutes ;)

Yep. 53 minutes to go.

GGJstudios
Jul 1, 2012, 01:28 AM
I never found it useful, so I won't be missing it.

Puevlo
Jul 1, 2012, 08:17 AM
Easily Apple's finest creation. But like most things it must die.

Winter Charm
Jul 1, 2012, 09:24 AM
I just wish iCloud had some sort of folder for syncing files, much like Google Drive does. :P

Drew017
Jul 1, 2012, 10:40 AM
I never found it useful, so I won't be missing it.

Me neither :p I do like iCloud a lot though!

aPple nErd
Jul 1, 2012, 10:46 AM
without mobleme, iCloud wouldn't be what it is today.

Kurwenal
Jul 1, 2012, 10:49 AM
I just wish iCloud had some sort of folder for syncing files, much like Google Drive does. :P

I agree. It will be interesting to see how long Apple pushes the notion of managing cloud files only through apps. I wonder how many iCloud users also use Skydrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or the like.

Winter Charm
Jul 2, 2012, 10:44 AM
I agree. It will be interesting to see how long Apple pushes the notion of managing cloud files only through apps. I wonder how many iCloud users also use Skydrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or the like.

I installed Google Drive, as it's the easiest way for me to transfer files between all the machines I use. It's like having a flash drive hooked up at every machine I go to, except it's considerably less hassle free.

What got me was the google docs services, and 5GB (as opposed to 2 GB dropbox) storage.

Seriously, it wouldn't kill apple to give us an "iCloud" folder inside our home folder. This is what google drive looks like:

Fishrrman
Jul 3, 2012, 08:56 AM
Here's an example of why computer users should NEVER trust "the cloud".

The "owner" of the cloud can change or dismantle it at any time. Or they could just close down. If that's the case, and you trusted them with your data, where would you be?

Yes, I know that Apple has created "iCloud" to replace MobileMe. But there are other times in their history that they've just "left users hanging".

It's kind of like "owning gold" -- if you don't have the gold in your possession, you don't really own it.

Same goes for data -- if you don't have your data under YOUR control, you don't have control over it.

I've been a Mac user for longer than most of the users of this forum have been alive. I would NEVER "trust" my data to anyone other than myself. Doesn't bother me to see MobileMe go, as I never tried to use it (or any Apple "online service" before it). Same for iCloud -- I won't be signing on.

When it comes to protecting your data, forget the "cloud", and keep things down-to-earth, just as you are.