PDA

View Full Version : Best RAM for 12in G4 Powerbook??

jaeshellz
Jul 25, 2005, 04:56 PM
Hey guys, i have a 12 inch G4 Powerbook, not the one newer version that came out months ago, the one before that, 1.33 Ghz and 256 built in ram.

Question is, I wanna upgrade my ram. I just installed Tiger and noticed that my comp has been runnin a lil slower. So I know ram = memory, which means u could run more things at once and ur comp won't slow right? So I make beats and i defintely need more ram on this system, so i was wondering is there a special name brand of Ram i should get or can i get any kind?? And also, I wanna buy a 1GB RAM chip, do u think its worth it or should i just get a 512mb??

all ur info is much appreciated. thanx fam.

grapes911
Jul 25, 2005, 05:00 PM
1. The rule with Macs is buy as much RAM as you can afford. I personally would get the 1GB if it's in your price range.

2. Any RAM with that comes with a life-time warranty and has a guarantee it will work with Macs is good RAM. I prefer crucial and datamem.

ITASOR
Jul 25, 2005, 05:16 PM
datamem.com is very cheap, but sells good quality RAM that is guaranteed to work in Macs.

jaeshellz
Jul 25, 2005, 05:17 PM
thanx grapes, i appreciate the info. When it comes to ram n stuff, i didn't know if certain name brands were better or even if it mattered. Do you think its worth buying one over the net? I saw a 1GB chip for around $150 on Amazon and other sites, in the apple store, they tryin to sell it for 500!!!

Ps - is it easy to install? or should i get it installed??

grapes911
Jul 25, 2005, 05:25 PM
It's very easy to install. Apple RAM is a rip-off. I'd stay away from Amazon because they generally don't give Mac guarantees.

jaeshellz
Jul 25, 2005, 05:32 PM
yea i figured that Apple **** was a rip off, even when I went to the store, one of the apple sales people was like "hey don't buy ram from here, go online or this other store (TekServe) to get it."

So i came ot the conclusion that i am going to order 512mb from Crucial... I'm going to do this within the hour, just wanna make sure i have my funds. Do you think this is a good choice? And the 512 that i'm buying will be added to the 256 thats built in right?

thanx alot for ur input guys! ya'll the best.

CanadaRAM
Jul 25, 2005, 05:35 PM
yea i figured that Apple **** was a rip off, even when I went to the store, one of the apple sales people was like "hey don't buy ram from here, go online or this other store (TekServe) to get it."

So i came ot the conclusion that i am going to order 512mb from Crucial... I'm going to do this within the hour, just wanna make sure i have my funds. Do you think this is a good choice? And the 512 that i'm buying will be added to the 256 thats built in right?

thanx alot for ur input guys! ya'll the best.
You're safe with Crucial, just make sure you use their model configurator. Alternatively you'll get just as good (or better) RAM from Data Memory Systems (http://www.datamem.com/AMM12.asp) and usually less expensive.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Edit:-- Heh - typed faster than you this time Grapes ;)

grapes911
Jul 25, 2005, 05:37 PM
So i came ot the conclusion that i am going to order 512mb from Crucial... I'm going to do this within the hour, just wanna make sure i have my funds. Do you think this is a good choice?
I'd compare the price to what they have at datamem. The quality is about equal.

Edit: It's a RAM thread, so of course Canada was the one who beat me to it. ;)

jaeshellz
Jul 25, 2005, 05:47 PM
wow, thanx for the quick feedback guys... damn... i'm just a dude from the bronx tryin to get his comp knowledge together and ya'll really helped me out. It's been hard to make my beats with stuttering and system kinda slowing down. Thanx again..

yea I see that data memory is a lil less than crucial... Hmm, I guess it doesn't matter which one i choose right. Might as well go for the less expensive one.

zach
Jul 25, 2005, 05:47 PM
Otherworld Computing.

www.macsales.com

very inexpensive ram, and it's guarenteed to work perfectly with your system.

bodeh6
Jul 26, 2005, 12:08 AM
I personally am just going to BTO my Powerbook with 768MB of ram. With the edu discount it is only $68. I figure that for my uses (Safari, iTunes, MS Office, lite Photoshop Elements) that I could survive on 512MB, but want to get the extra 256MB just so that if running 2 or more of these apps, it will be smoother operations. Might get 1GB stick in a few years.

jaeshellz
Jul 31, 2005, 04:53 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to say thanx to all, especially Grapes and Canadaram, for their input.

I went ahead and purchased 512mb RAM from Crucial. I recieved it last thursday, installed and its perfect. Everything runs sooo much more smoother. So in total i have 768mb of Ram.

once again thanx to everybody for their input and advice, i greatly appreciate it. be safe...

ITASOR
Jul 31, 2005, 07:56 PM
I personally am just going to BTO my Powerbook with 768MB of ram. With the edu discount it is only $68. I figure that for my uses (Safari, iTunes, MS Office, lite Photoshop Elements) that I could survive on 512MB, but want to get the extra 256MB just so that if running 2 or more of these apps, it will be smoother operations. Might get 1GB stick in a few years.

If you BTO it for 768MB, they're taking out a 256MB and putting in a 512MB right? If so, that's not bad!

Chef Medeski
Aug 1, 2005, 08:01 AM
DOes 768 really run alot better than 512? I don't want to pay $60 for a 256 upgrade to only find out it doesn't hcange much.

PaRaGoNViCtiM
Aug 1, 2005, 06:24 PM
Wow, 1GB of memory from DataMemorySystems is only $144!! Thats impressive. Thanks for looking out guys!

Chef Medeski
Aug 1, 2005, 06:26 PM
Wow, 1GB of memory from DataMemorySystems is only $144!! Thats impressive. Thanks for looking out guys!
Its $109 at Newegg. Its also $120 at newegg for Kingston, which isn't a no name brand.

CanadaRAM
Aug 1, 2005, 08:50 PM
Its $109 at Newegg. Its also $120 at newegg for Kingston, which isn't a no name brand.
Super sleuthing Chef :rolleyes:
Now, what Mac compatibility guarantee does NewEgg give?
Which Kingston is it -- their KVR ValueRAM series that Kingston doesn't guarantee compatibility with Macs themselves?

Ye cannae just say "Kingston is good for wha' ails ye" because it makes a wee difference just which of the Kingston clan ye be talking aboot. :)

Chip NoVaMac
Aug 1, 2005, 09:44 PM
Otherworld Computing.

www.macsales.com

very inexpensive ram, and it's guarenteed to work perfectly with your system.

Amen to that, and they don't play the browser pricing games that Crucial has in the past, and maybe now.....

bm7at81
Aug 2, 2005, 06:19 AM
DOes 768 really run alot better than 512? I don't want to pay $60 for a 256 upgrade to only find out it doesn't hcange much.

I cant comment for 512mb as i upgraded my PB to 768mb when i bought it at the store but i can tell you that ive just had

- Firefox
- Safari
- Natural Instruments Guitar Rig 1.1
- iDVD
- iTunes
- iMovieHD
- Azureus
- Word 2004
- Excel 2004
- Quicktime

All open at the same time and i was playing my guitar through Guitar Rig WHILE checking out the trailer for Wedding Crashers in iTunes and nothing slowed up at all... didnt even see a beachball when opening the proggies or when swithcing between them and using..

I have the Sys Stat widget in my dashboard and that still said i had 7mb RAM free... but it always does really.. only my Inactive RAM really changes (expect when im doing only 1 or 2 progs then i have about 200mb free)

Anyway, my PB has taken everything ive thrown at it so far and given me the finger, so im well impressed... maybe ill go up to 1.25Gb someday, but for now 768Mb runs like a dream :)

I figured that id get the extra bit of RAM basically to give Tiger 256Mb to play with on its own so it doesnt have to share with the other proggies.. although thats a vague theory at best!

P.s My swap file went up to about 6Gb at max usage... im just glad i still have about 16Gb free space left!