PDA

View Full Version : Apple Shuts Down MobileMe, Data Available for 'Limited Time'

MacRumors
Jul 1, 2012, 10:20 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/01/apple-shuts-down-mobileme-data-available-for-limited-time/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/mobileme-500x390.png

As promised, Apple has shut down the MobileMe (http://www.mobileme.com) web service but is still allowing users to migrate their data for a "limited time". Apple had been sending out warnings (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/01/apple-sending-out-30-day-reminders-for-mobileme-discontinuation/) to users of the impending shutdown.

Apple announced the planned discontinuation (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/06/apple-details-mobileme-to-icloud-transition/) of the MobileMe service last year. Apple expects users to migrate to their iCloud service, though not all services (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/24/apple-confirms-icloud-web-apps-for-mail-contacts-calendar-and-find-my-iphone/) have been transitioned to the new service.

Article Link: Apple Shuts Down MobileMe, Data Available for 'Limited Time' (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/01/apple-shuts-down-mobileme-data-available-for-limited-time/)

clukas
Jul 1, 2012, 10:21 AM
good to see apple is still giving people time to backup their data.

stuarty2003
Jul 1, 2012, 10:23 AM
The Apple ID site (appleid.apple.com) has been so slow today - I wonder if it is related.

Ajones330
Jul 1, 2012, 10:24 AM
I ended up getting all my stuff I had on there Friday. I bet it will be slow for users trying to get their data today.

fabian9
Jul 1, 2012, 10:25 AM
still hope there'll be something equivalent to iDisk in the future, but with Apple's push to having no accessible file system, I doubt it'll happen.

JayLenochiniMac
Jul 1, 2012, 10:26 AM
I'm surprised they haven't come out with a substitute for iDisk by now. It's not like they can't do it through Documents in the Cloud regardless of file types.

GBrooks
Jul 1, 2012, 10:28 AM
Wow! giving people lots of opportunities to get anything out for there!

robanga
Jul 1, 2012, 10:29 AM
I ended up getting all my stuff I had on there Friday. I bet it will be slow for users trying to get their data today.

I retrieved my remaining stuff late saturday afternoon Pacific time and it was pretty speedy overall.

Marzzz
Jul 1, 2012, 10:32 AM
I just wish they had made iCloud available to Snow Leopard; there is still some important business software that is not yet compatible with Lion.

PlaceofDis
Jul 1, 2012, 10:35 AM
i switched over a long time ago but i would have thought that a proper iDisk replacement would have happened by now. it had its problems but it worked well enough most of the time.

aziatiklover
Jul 1, 2012, 10:36 AM
Good night sweet prince. You will be missed. Had an awesome ride since 2007!

Astroexe
Jul 1, 2012, 10:37 AM
I think Apple has been really efficient with reminding people and pushing them towards getting their information off and back. I've used services before that have literally closed shop in a week or two after an announcement. It's that or letting it turn slowly back into the rust of the internet.

Pulling out the fancy graphics though. That's always nice to see.

NY Guitarist
Jul 1, 2012, 10:40 AM
I just wish they had made iCloud available to Snow Leopard; there is still some important business software that is not yet compatible with Lion.

Same here.

thefourthpope
Jul 1, 2012, 10:40 AM
I think Apple has been really efficient with reminding people and pushing them towards getting their information off and back. I've used services before that have literally closed shop in a week or two after an announcement. It's that or letting it turn slowly back into the rust of the internet.

Apple has a lot of good experience with tweaking/killing off components of their online services.

I echo the other comments hoping for some substitute for iDisk. Dropbox and the like are ok as stop-gaps, but are limited in their functionality with iDevices. Even if there is no visible file system on the user's end, we at least need a way to share multiple file types.

AustinIllini
Jul 1, 2012, 10:42 AM

They want to shut it down, but they also don't want to screw over customers. I understand where they are coming from. By the time this all is done, Apple hopes to have minimized the number of people that get burned.

atMac
Jul 1, 2012, 10:48 AM
And iCloud is still missing a good bit of its functionality. iCloud has been terrible for me, it doesn't even offer what I signed up for MobileMe for, iDisk and preference syncing.

aajeev
Jul 1, 2012, 10:57 AM
I had totally forgotten about the iDesk until now, and since I was on a couple red eyes flight yesterday there was no way I could have done this. But it turned out to be alright, the speed is good. I was able to download close to 3G all within 20 minutes or so. Either people just don't care, or there are no many iDesk users toward the end.

IJ Reilly
Jul 1, 2012, 11:01 AM
I migrated last week and everything worked fine, until today. No me.com email at all. Anyone else having this problem?

JackieTreehorn
Jul 1, 2012, 11:05 AM
Too bad. For me, web-publishing with mobileme and iWeb was a breeze. Wish Apple offered an alternative for web-publishing...

yoak
Jul 1, 2012, 11:07 AM
I think is pretty certain tatt Jobs had a finger in the closing down of MobileMe. He hater how bad it worked and how bad the launch was

My problem is that I (reluctantly) has tried to upgrade my Mbp to Lion, but I keep getting a warning saying the file has been corrupted during download or something. I downloaded it 3 times now and I'm stuck on SL, which I don't mind if it wasn't for the fact that I can't sync my devices anymore

HasanDaddy
Jul 1, 2012, 11:12 AM
Good night sweet prince. You will be missed. Had an awesome ride since 2007!

Yep!

Been with mobileme since 2002/2003, when it debuted as .mac - kinda upset that I had to transfer all sorts of data, but at least Apple gave a free year of MobileMe and plenty of warning

"good night sweet prince" expresses it perfectly

iFanboy
Jul 1, 2012, 11:15 AM

Why would Apple invest time and money in importing features to past versions of OSX because some devs are extremely slow in updating their software?

sloken
Jul 1, 2012, 11:16 AM
Any photos you uploaded to MobileMe Gallery will be put in your iPhoto library as an event called From MobileMe. But... These ARE NOT COPIES of your photos, they are the original photos from your iPhoto Library. When I deleted the event thinking it was just copies of the original photos, I luckily noticed that the photos were missing from the event that has the birth of my first son along with many others.

NOT COOL APPLE!!!

Chrisg2014
Jul 1, 2012, 11:18 AM
haha I have some crappy photos on my Moblie Me and they keep sending me emails about it. I might be part of the reason why there doing this...

MrCubes
Jul 1, 2012, 11:18 AM
Genuine question.

All those bemoaning the loss of iDisk: what are you missing you can't get from, say, DropBox?
I've not touched iDisk since DropBox arrived - and I never liked touching it before that. That's just me - but I'm failing to see what iDisk gave *anyone* that DropBox doesn't (and much better). Perhaps iWeb integration (which is also going (gone?), of course, so that's not really a reason to miss iDisk?

Have I been missing some killer feature of iDisk all this time?

Agreed that iCloud is far from perfect at this time, and is maybe still even a step back from MobileMe in terms of (current) stability and performance. I really hope that improves as Apple do seem to be betting a lot on it - and when Apple does that the whole eco-system gets dragged along for the ride.

sananda
Jul 1, 2012, 11:25 AM
Genuine question.

All those bemoaning the loss of iDisk: what are you missing you can't get from, say, DropBox?

Easy integration with Pages on iOS.

LastLine
Jul 1, 2012, 11:27 AM
Genuine question.

Agreed that iCloud is far from perfect at this time, and is maybe still even a step back from MobileMe in terms of (current) stability and performance. I really hope that improves as Apple do seem to be betting a lot on it - and when Apple does that the whole eco-system gets dragged along for the ride.
I don't know on iDisk so shan't respond, in fact I tend to agree with you on that.

What I don't understand is how imperfect iCloud is. I never have a stability issue with it, features are expanding which is cool. I accept it may not be as feature heavy as .mac or mobileme, but surely for free it's actually very feature heavy? Perhaps you can explain to me :)

MrNomNoms
Jul 1, 2012, 11:28 AM
i switched over a long time ago but i would have thought that a proper iDisk replacement would have happened by now. it had its problems but it worked well enough most of the time.

The best you can hope for is the document synchronisation they've been showing off but I don't see anything appearing that'll allow the sharing of documents beyond your own account - we can thank the recent behaviour by the MPAA/RIAA that have put the fear of God into many service providers. I'm sure Apple would love to provide the ability to share documents, photos etc. but when you have the threat of legal action hovering over the top I have a feeling they'll wait till the whole Megaupload thing dies off before doing anything more risky.

And iCloud is still missing a good bit of its functionality. iCloud has been terrible for me, it doesn't even offer what I signed up for MobileMe for, iDisk and preference syncing.

IMHO they shouldn't have launched iCloud till it was feature complete - from what I have heard rumoured those features will arrive but apparently the way they will be delivered will be different than it was under MobileMe.

Out of curiosity, what applications aren't available on Lion yet that you require?

Any photos you uploaded to MobileMe Gallery will be put in your iPhoto library as an event called From MobileMe. But... These ARE NOT COPIES of your photos, they are the original photos from your iPhoto Library. When I deleted the event thinking it was just copies of the original photos, I luckily noticed that the photos were missing from the event that has the birth of my first son along with many others.

NOT COOL APPLE!!!

How is it Apple's fault that you don't read what is on the screen - that your files are being migrated across? if they're being migrated across then why the hell would the duplicate your files? it seems that you've done something stupid and now you want to blame Apple for your own mistakes. Be a man and accept you screwed up because you didn't put your brain into gear before clicking your mouse button.

sananda
Jul 1, 2012, 11:29 AM

NOT COOL APPLE!!!

Really?

I opened iPhoto today and it downloaded photos from MobileMe Gallery and, I think put them into an album which I deleted as those Galleries came from iPhoto in the first place.

I think all my photos are there.

treichert
Jul 1, 2012, 11:31 AM

iCloud integration through Documents&Data is far easier.

Bozola
Jul 1, 2012, 11:32 AM
dot mac. I will miss you.

PS. iDisk allowed webhosting for pictures in an easy, trivial way.

http://homepage.mac.com/bozola/myimage.jpg.

sananda
Jul 1, 2012, 11:34 AM

I prefer the file system in iDisk.

boomish
Jul 1, 2012, 11:45 AM

Absolutely, Apple really missed an opportunity, ok so MobileMe didn't really work very well SJ knew that, but the idea was good. So they have reworked some of it into iCloud, but to make sure the two look seperate they haven't bothered to replace everything like iWeb and iDisk, meanwhile Dropbox and now Google Drive are signing up users in record numbers! What's up with Apple nowadays they seem so fixated on the blooming iPhone (as much as I love mine) nothing else gets developed! and not just software - the Mac Pro is classic example, how much would it have cost them to upgrade that machine with an Ivy Bridge Processor ..

Stella
Jul 1, 2012, 11:46 AM

And limited to supported applications, where as drop box, idisk et al work with ALL applications.

Apple have replaced iDisk with a very crippled implementation.

jc1350
Jul 1, 2012, 12:00 PM
Genuine question.

I've not touched iDisk since DropBox arrived - and I never liked touching it before that. That's just me - but I'm failing to see what iDisk gave *anyone* that DropBox doesn't (and much better). Perhaps iWeb integration (which is also going (gone?), of course, so that's not really a reason to miss iDisk?

Dropbox and similar use local disk space. iDisk was its own storage and allowed one to move files off the local disk to free that space, but still have easy access to them from multiple computers.

Battlefield Fan
Jul 1, 2012, 12:05 PM
goodbye iDisk :(

JayLenochiniMac
Jul 1, 2012, 12:06 PM
How is it Apple's fault that you don't read what is on the screen - that your files are being migrated across? if they're being migrated across then why the hell would the duplicate your files? it seems that you've done something stupid and now you want to blame Apple for your own mistakes. Be a man and accept you screwed up because you didn't put your brain into gear before clicking your mouse button.

To be fair, Apple's prompt wasn't entirely clear. Why did they need to "preserve" your photos in a separate album if you already have the original files?

What's the purpose of them telling you to download your MobileMe gallery in order to save them before the deadline if they're going to "preserve" them in a separate album for you anyway?

FloatingBones
Jul 1, 2012, 12:08 PM
I'd had a friend who had his small-business site here. I warned him months ago and again 4 days ago. His site is now down; at least they have left the sites open for people who don't have a backup elsewhere.

I'm glad Apple cut the cord promptly and didn't allow any grace period.

Apple has a lot of good experience with tweaking/killing off components of their online services.

I echo the other comments hoping for some substitute for iDisk. Dropbox and the like are ok as stop-gaps, but are limited in their functionality with iDevices. Even if there is no visible file system on the user's end, we at least need a way to share multiple file types.

The message should be clear: Apple has no intention of providing that functionality for iOS devices.

okwhatev
Jul 1, 2012, 12:14 PM
I wonder how long this 'limited time' will last?

Don't know if anyone's bothered to notice, but you can still copy files into your iDisk from Mac OS X's iDisk icon in the Finder. However you can only download files from me.com's iDisk interface.

The iDisk iPhone app now errors out, and is useless.

iPhoto's handling of everything is surprisingly elegant.

Tons of now-pointless and cluttered Mobile Me references remain throughout OSX. I guess they're not going to 'magically' disappear huh? Really looks sloppy. Can anyone with the Mountain Lion builds report back that there aren't any outdated Mobile Me references?

Also on a completely different note, has anyone gotten Mountain Lion to install on slightly older Macs then recommended? I don't have quite enough saved up for the new Retina Macbook yet...

efrank772
Jul 1, 2012, 12:16 PM
I wish they would have kept something like iDisk in iCloud. I LOVED iDisk, it was so convenient!! I still don't think that Dropbox or Box are anywhere near iDisk, LOVED IT!

wrldwzrd89
Jul 1, 2012, 12:16 PM
iCloud email isn't working for me at the moment. :(

Other than that, MobileMe did its job - it just wasn't implemented very well. It's had problems for its entire lifespan, no?

JayLenochiniMac
Jul 1, 2012, 12:22 PM
I wish they would have kept something like iDisk in iCloud. I LOVED iDisk, it was so convenient!! I still don't think that Dropbox or Box are anywhere near iDisk, LOVED IT!

Actually, Steve Job tried unsuccessfully to acquire Dropbox. If he had his way, Dropbox would replace iDisk.

That means Dropbox is the best substitute for iDisk, at least until Apple comes out with a real replacement if that ever happens.

macgeek727
Jul 1, 2012, 12:22 PM
I guess all of iWeb users are done with too now!! My website is now gone!!! boo :(

nickn
Jul 1, 2012, 12:26 PM
I'll make sure to transition all of my iWeb stuff over to iCloud. Oh, wait......

bedifferent
Jul 1, 2012, 12:31 PM
Actually, Steve Job tried unsuccessfully to acquire Dropbox. If he had his way, Dropbox would replace iDisk.

That means Dropbox is the best substitute for iDisk, at least until Apple comes out with a real replacement if that ever happens.

I know Keychain Syncing is currently under wraps for a relaunch, something more akin to "1Password". I have the strong sense that NFC on the next iPhone with the "Passport" app will bring "1Password" functionality back to OS X between devices.

Also, isn't "Documents in the Cloud" supposedly going to replace iDisk with [eventual] "drag and drop" functionality via Finder and iOS?

Mad-B-One
Jul 1, 2012, 12:31 PM
I'm surprised they haven't come out with a substitute for iDisk by now. It's not like they can't do it through Documents in the Cloud regardless of file types.

I really wonder if that has something to to with the UpThere post on 2nd page...

Surely hope so. Cloud only makes sense if it is as versatile as you need it. I for sure would need a file system on which I can decide what and what kind I have on the cloud.

Keep on hoping... ;)

Trilogy
Jul 1, 2012, 12:35 PM
Too bad. For me, web-publishing with mobileme and iWeb was a breeze. Wish Apple offered an alternative for web-publishing...

I moved my iWeb websites over to DV Host (http://www.dvhost.com), and it works just as easily. After changing my publishing settings, I continue to press the "Publish" button in MobileMe. It literally took 10 minutes to change everything. The difference is that it now publishes to DV Host instead of MobileMe.

I think it's a good solution for us MobileMe "refugees" who want to continue using iWeb.

class77
Jul 1, 2012, 12:35 PM
I just wish they had made iCloud available to Snow Leopard; there is still some important business software that is not yet compatible with Lion.I would take abbreviated access to iCloud(iCal, Address Book and Mail only) for Snow Leopard in a heartbeat.

michaelvoigt
Jul 1, 2012, 12:36 PM
I coughed up $99x2 a year for my wife and myself for this. We had a great time uploading and sharing our photos. We did this for multiple years. Worked fine for us.

Now, my photos are no longer available. The smarter people that used the FREE services, their photos are available and will continue to be. Boy, do I feel stupid.

MobileMe is one of the lower points in Apple's history. They have irritated some customer, and in some cases; they have irritated their most loyal ones.

They are a very large and profitable company. Why? - wouldn't they just leave all of the galleries up?

Plus, now you need the latest OS to upgrade to iCloud. I might smarten up this time.

.mac ( fail ) >>> mobileMe ( fail ) >>> iCloud ( fail ? ) :apple:

MrCubes
Jul 1, 2012, 12:40 PM

This I really don't understand. I'm not trying to invalidate your claim - just understand it.

For me iDisk was always ridiculously slow - even just to see the folder structure. Try to move a 2k text file in or out and you might as well go for a coffee. I never managed to get anything much bigger in there - maybe a handful of small images (actually just remembered I put a few mp3s of some of my own music up once - had to leave it running overnight - for more than one night, IIRC).

Dropbox, by comparison, is much much faster - and, because it syncs from local copies, doesn't interrupt your workflow because it all runs in the background (the only exception being when you're waiting for a file just synced from another location).

Dropbox and similar use local disk space. iDisk was its own storage and allowed one to move files off the local disk to free that space, but still have easy access to them from multiple computers.

Fair enough, I suppose. This is a difference. I've only ever seen that as a reason to prefer Dropbox - but if you really do prefer it the other way then, yes, you've lost that (you could try Transmit with some cheap FTP hosting?).

I can't imagine how you'd get files into or out of iDisk fast enough that it could make any difference to your local storage - even for mobile devices. Perhaps it's faster if you live nearer to Apple's servers - or at least in the US (I'm in the UK)? Was it not slow as a dog for you?

Actually, for mobile devices, Dropbox doesn't cache the whole fileset locally either - so it's only an issue on the desktop. Since you can buy desktop HDDs 500 times bigger than you got by default with iDisk for about the yearly cost of MobileMe I can't see that being much of a reason. What am I missing?

Gosh
Jul 1, 2012, 12:42 PM
It just made me think about a post by John Gruber (Daring Fireball) taking issue with the trust of a post on 'Virtual Pants' about the default apps on iOS in the wake of the popularity of Chrome for iOS.

The fact is that Apple refused to make iCloud compatible with Snow Leopard*, and reduced its scope significantly in relation to the MobileMe one-stop-shop, cloud synced environment; so many user have been dissipated to many other products, including those of rivals like Google.

My Macs' dock and my iPhone home screen look very different now, and to be honest it has taught me that Apple doesn't make the best everything.

Still, when major rivals are trying to establish broad user environments, it looks like a bit of an own goal!

* and yet iCloud works with Vista!

jbh001
Jul 1, 2012, 12:45 PM
I waited until the last minute to migrate to iCloud because I don't plan on upgrading my iPhone 3G until the next version comes out this September or October. These instructions were helpful in getting my iPhone 3G to sync with iCloud. http://macmanusnl.wordpress.com/2012/02/20/icloud-and-the-officially-unsupported-iphone-3g-sync-works/

I can't upgrade to Lion because my Intel MacMini is not a Core 2 machine. I tried to get Snow Leopard's Address Book to sync with iCloud, but kept getting duplicates, and finally decided that it wasn't worth the trouble since I don't really use address book ever. I was able to get iCal on Snow Leopard to successfully sync with iCloud.

I can comfortably coast along for a few months now until I can upgrade my hardware.

iSee
Jul 1, 2012, 12:48 PM
still hope there'll be something equivalent to iDisk in the future, but with Apple's push to having no accessible file system, I doubt it'll happen.

My guess is:

Apple has no interest in providing a place for general storage.
But over time they will improve iCloud's ability to store app-related documents. E.g., right now, documents are stored and accessed by app only. But a major workflow that many of us use and makes the most sense in many, many use cases is to store documents by project. E.g., I might have a set of documents related to a proposal or class or project that I update/view/create together. I think Apple will support this use case at some point. (I think the delay isn't due to the complexities of grouping documents, of course -- the must bigger question is how to put in place a system where the apps, too, can work together to support this use case.)

jonharris200
Jul 1, 2012, 12:49 PM

If you have an iPad, you could try Simpl app - an easy way to build a website.

Jon - Founder, Simpl
www.simpl.com

MrCubes
Jul 1, 2012, 12:50 PM
Also, isn't "Documents in the Cloud" supposedly going to replace iDisk with [eventual] "drag and drop" functionality via Finder and iOS?

I don't think that's the direction they want to take. Remember Jobs saying, "A lot of us have been working for 10 years to get rid of the file system so the user doesnít have to learn about it" (http://jasonmillar.ca/ethicstechnologyandsociety/2011/06/06/apple-wants-to-hide-your-files-in-the-icloud/)

I guess Apple wasn't bluffing afterall and mobileme will be killed off. :( I think I better download all my photos tomorrow morning or I'll lose them all. I really didn't think Apple would kill this product until the gallery was replaced with a new solution.

I think they're doing that with Shared Photo Streams (http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/11/3077810/apple-shared-photo-streams).

smallnshort247
Jul 1, 2012, 12:52 PM
WTH Apple, no warning or heads up? Shessh

/sarcasm

:rolleyes:

Anaemik
Jul 1, 2012, 12:53 PM
I finally and reluctantly ended up migrating from MM to iCloud a couple of days ago. Initial observations? The flexibility with Calendar alerts is so much worse in iCloud. Maximum of 48hrs notice and no option to alert via email. I cant understand for the life of me why this is so restrictive compared to how it was with MM.

iSee
Now, my photos are no longer available.

The problem might be that if you can't read, you will not be happy with Apple services.

theelysium
MobileMe is far superior to iCloud! It's a shame it had to be closed because people are to stupid to comprehend how to use MobileMe's services!

sananda
Jul 1, 2012, 12:56 PM

They are a very large and profitable company. Why? - wouldn't they just leave all of the galleries up?
:

I guess there just weren't enough of us using the galleries; it didn't take off. It's all about sharing iPhone photos now.

theelysium
Jul 1, 2012, 12:57 PM
I finally and reluctantly anded up migrating from MM to iCloud a couple of days ago. Initial observations? The flexibility with Calendar alerts is so much worse in iCloud. Maximum of 48hrs notice and no option to alert via email. I cant understand for the life of me why this is so restrictive compared to how it was with MM.

I know right! What about iDisk?!?! Way better then Dropbox or Google drive!
Your email only works in 10.7 or above which is commie BS! You have to manually add it to 10.5 or 10.6 & still it's doesn't work right! I had to upgrade my 10.6 just for Fing Apple Mail.... :mad: should not have to do that.

This whole iCloud thing is so un-Apple...

PinkyMacGodess
Jul 1, 2012, 12:59 PM
And I had less problems with MobileMe than I've been having with iCloud. But to be fair, I haven't had a lot of problems with iCloud, but they have been maddening...

MacAddict1978
Jul 1, 2012, 01:01 PM
Genuine question.

I agree. iDisk had very small storage amounts for a pay service, and it was incredibly slow most of the time. There have been far better alternatives for a long time. Even Microsoft had a better storage option... please don't throw eggs. Thank you.

PinkyMacGodess
Jul 1, 2012, 01:02 PM
My guess is:

Apple has no interest in providing a place for general storage.

But wasn't Apple going to go to the cloud with iWork? I thought they were going in that direction, but is it as iWork being SAAS or actually the whole thing being a cloud based offering?

theelysium
Jul 1, 2012, 01:03 PM
I guess there just weren't enough of us using the galleries; it didn't take off. It's all about sharing iPhone photos now.

There were millions using it! Just not millions enough or those millions signed up paid and never used it.

In fact I have several clients... Well wait ALL my clients signed up for MM and didn't know why or what to do or that they had an email or iDisk or website or contacts or anything.... I think that's why it failed. :(

Apple should have made a ton of common craft type training videos for MM! It would have helped.

fun173
Jul 1, 2012, 01:09 PM
Bye :(

senseless
Jul 1, 2012, 01:11 PM
Iweb was too slow delivering videos. Vimeo works much better for me.

JayLenochiniMac
Jul 1, 2012, 01:13 PM

It's a viable replacement only if it supports all file types as it did in iDisk.

Gosh
Jul 1, 2012, 01:19 PM
if your hardware means you can't go beyond Snow Leopard and you don't want to switch to Vista or W7; or if you rely on some particular MobileMe features not covered by iCloud:

email: mac.com / me.com isn't effected regardless of whether you can change to iCloud because it's just an IMAP service.

calendar: this may be time to get a gmail account anyway!
contacts: as above.

Safari Bookmarks: this may be time to switch to FireFox, you can sync bookmarks between machines (using Firefox Sync and Firefox Home on your iPhone).

Notes: try Simplenote!

iWeb: you can still use iWeb.app but you must move your site/s to a new web host (watch the ScreenCastsOnline video SCOM0345 - with some discounts for UK2.net / WestHost).

iDisk: plenty of options but for me it's Microsoft's SkyDrive and Live Mesh (the later syncs existing folders between machines - brilliant!).

MobileMe Gallery: just go Flickr (pro). An alternative worth checking out is ZangZing.

Yojimbo: You could try Evernote, but there is a workaround using Dropbox but it has limitations - see the Yojimbo website.

iBank: there is a workaround using CloudSafe.com (free up to 2GB) for the WebDAV sync to your iPhone iBank app.

Hope this helps other .Mac and MobileMe pioneers. It does remind me just how comprehensive MobileMe actually was - and I think, ahead of its time.

akbarali.ch
Jul 1, 2012, 01:22 PM
I never knew they had .mac, but then why they came up with .me. i would've pretty comfortable with .mac too if they would've added those service in it. now me.com is shutting down, things are moving to icloud but the cloud id ends in @me not in @icloud. MESS!

Apple, your web service outlook is almost opposite of hardware/software you make.

look at google, all the service ends in @gmail.com. period. no confusion. you sign in to chrome browser, chrome OS, gmail, docs etc etc. thats cool.

Please, Apple just simplify. i don't like signing into icloud using gmail ID!

Too late i guess.

macpeach55
Jul 1, 2012, 01:23 PM
iDisk still shows on my iPad, and I can see all the folders, but clicking on one gives error 100
a shame they did not launch a minor upgrade to IOS Today to clear this reference out, to emphasise it is History!!

Peace
Jul 1, 2012, 01:25 PM
I never knew they had .mac, but then why they came up with .me. i would've pretty comfortable with .mac too if they would've added those service in it. now me.com is shutting down, things are moving to icloud but the cloud id ends in @me not in @icloud. MESS!

Apple, your web service outlook is almost opposite of hardware/software you make.

look at google, all the service ends in @gmail.com. period. no confusion. you sign in to chrome browser, chrome OS, gmail, docs etc etc. thats cool.

Please, Apple just simplify. i don't like signing into icloud using gmail ID!

Too late i guess.

Can you use/sign in to gmail using a .me ID ?

just curious mind you.

PinkyMacGodess
Jul 1, 2012, 01:39 PM
I agree. iDisk had very small storage amounts for a pay service, and it was incredibly slow most of the time. There have been far better alternatives for a long time. Even Microsoft had a better storage option... please don't throw eggs. Thank you.

I tried iDisk at one point but found it of rather limited use for me. I did have an iWeb page up, but I never updated it. It did get a fair amount of traffic though. It was on the Arecibo observatory that I had the chance to tour while in Puerto Rico.

Kar98
Jul 1, 2012, 01:47 PM
So... software update to remove references to MobileMe from Apple apps and the OS?

Shrink
Jul 1, 2012, 01:47 PM
I'm just waiting for the screaming, gnashing of teeth, and rending of clothing when MobileMe totally and completely shuts down and all of those folks who didn't get all of their stuff off go nuts howling about how they got screwed by Apple.:eek:

(Cynical and assume-the-worst SOB...aren't I!:p;))

Illuminated
Jul 1, 2012, 01:53 PM
so does that mean there is no more @me.com emails? That's my main email. I never got a warning from apple that I won't be able to use it.

Peace
Jul 1, 2012, 01:54 PM
so does that mean there is no more @me.com emails? That's my main email. I never got a warning from apple that I won't be able to use it.

No. It means there are no more .Mac email addys with the exception of a few early adopters.

Like Moi' :D

Illuminated
Jul 1, 2012, 01:58 PM
No. It means there are no more .Mac email addys with the exception of a few early adopters.

Sweet. thanks for saving my heart haha.

weing
Jul 1, 2012, 02:17 PM
The transition to iCloud went well other than the 2 grand I had to drop to buy new compatible devices....

turtlez
Jul 1, 2012, 02:21 PM
I'm just waiting for the screaming, gnashing of teeth, and rending of clothing when MobileMe totally and completely shuts down and all of those folks who didn't get all of their stuff off go nuts howling about how they got screwed by Apple.:eek:

(Cynical and assume-the-worst SOB...aren't I!:p;))

nah you are not cynical, you are realistic lol. I can see it too

lostngone
Jul 1, 2012, 02:32 PM
Well I am finally coping my data off iDisk... :(

I am at Preparing to copy 2,300 items(and counting)...

EDIT: OMG... This is a mess!
Most of the systems I use are formatted with case sensitive HFS+. Because of Adobe I had to format this system with out it. When the copy operation hits a file with same name with different case the whole copy operation stops.
I don't have a lot of these files but what a PITA..

Keithnteri
Jul 1, 2012, 02:37 PM
MobileMe Gallery: just go Flickr (pro). An alternative worth checking out is ZangZing.

Alas, ZangZing is also shutting it's doors at the end of August. I was hoping that it would somehow replace Gallery as that was a truly great thing in Mobile Me.

Now I will be looking at SmugMug or ZenPhoto as possible replacements.

Morod
Jul 1, 2012, 02:41 PM

NOT COOL APPLE!!!

This shouldn't be necessary. From Apple's web site:
"What happened to MobileMe Gallery?

Galleries published to MobileMe are no longer available. However, for a limited time, you can still save copies of all photos and movies published to your gallery. If you have a Mac, it is likely that most of your gallery photos are already in iPhoto. If not, you can sync your gallery photos to your iPhoto library. You can also download your photos and movies directly from the web. Please read this article for details."

k1121j
Jul 1, 2012, 02:49 PM
im not sure if it's related but "www.apple.com/itunes/download" is currently not available for download not sure if this is related. Also not available from software update Mac and PC.

Apple senior advisor is not aware and looking in it. they are currently working with me to figure out how to get the software to me.

NY Guitarist
Jul 1, 2012, 02:52 PM

And me too... I hope! Hated that @me.com name so opted to keep using @mac.com.

I signed on when iTools first came into being... maybe 10 years ago?

10 years @ $99 = $990

artcriticpanda
Jul 1, 2012, 03:07 PM
I'm glad Apple made it possible to continue using Mobileme email addresses after it was closed down. But they didn't tell the whole truth - unless you have migrated to iCloud AND updated all your software and hardware (iOS and OSX) you cannot login at all and get no webmail facility online.

I am using an iMac which I CAN upgrade to Lion but then I lose Rosetta and cannot use the drawing package in Appleworks (I KNOW it is ancient) which Apple never bothered to replace when it went to iWorks/iLife. So I'll have to run Snow Leopard AND Lion to still use it. (Any ideas what software can FULLY read/edit Appleworks drawing files?)

To rub salt in the wound Apple has made iCloud compatible with MS Windows Vista (from 2007) yet incompatible with Snow Leopard (the current OS until 2011). Surely Apple could have simply made iCloud a seamless and painless transition by making it SL compatible?

sloken
Jul 1, 2012, 03:14 PM
This shouldn't be necessary. From Apple's web site:
"What happened to MobileMe Gallery?

Galleries published to MobileMe are no longer available. However, for a limited time, you can still save copies of all photos and movies published to your gallery. If you have a Mac, it is likely that most of your gallery photos are already in iPhoto. If not, you can sync your gallery photos to your iPhoto library. You can also download your photos and movies directly from the web. Please read this article for details."

I read the website, the issue is not that I lost the galleries, it's that when Apple put the galleries back in my iPhoto Library, it linked them to the original files. So, when I dragged the "new" event called From Mobile Me, it took the files from the other Events and put them in the trash. So Apple didn't actually download the pictures to iPhoto for me, it just created an Event and linked the files to the originals.

Oh, and MrNomNoms, thanks for your "input" but there was nothing on the screen when I opened up iPhoto, I just saw a new Event and when I looked in it, I saw that it was just all the photos that I had put in galleries so I thought to myself "I already have these photos in other Events so why do I need copies of these" but these were not copies of the files, they were just links to the other originals.

macpeach55
Jul 1, 2012, 03:23 PM
I read the website, the issue is not that I lost the galleries, it's that when Apple put the galleries back in my iPhoto Library, it linked them to the original files. So, when I dragged the "new" event called From Mobile Me, it took the files from the other Events and put them in the trash. So Apple didn't actually download the pictures to iPhoto for me, it just created an Event and linked the files to the originals.

Oh, and MrNomNoms, thanks for your "input" but there was nothing on the screen when I opened up iPhoto, I just saw a new Event and when I looked in it, I saw that it was just all the photos that I had put in galleries so I thought to myself "I already have these photos in other Events so why do I need copies of these" but these were not copies of the files, they were just links to the other originals.

Well said! Events should just be a link to a bunch of pictures you want grouped together. Removing an Event should not remove the originals.

Small White Car
Jul 1, 2012, 03:23 PM
Dropbox and similar use local disk space.

Only if you want. You're free to turn on selective local syncing and tell Dropbox to ignore certain folders on a particular computer. It works great.

righteye
Jul 1, 2012, 03:25 PM
I'm glad Apple made it possible to continue using Mobileme email addresses after it was closed down. But they didn't tell the whole truth - unless you have migrated to iCloud AND updated all your software and hardware (iOS and OSX) you cannot login at all and get no webmail facility online.

I am using an iMac which I CAN upgrade to Lion but then I lose Rosetta and cannot use the drawing package in Appleworks (I KNOW it is ancient) which Apple never bothered to replace when it went to iWorks/iLife. So I'll have to run Snow Leopard AND Lion to still use it. (Any ideas what software can FULLY read/edit Appleworks drawing files?)

To rub salt in the wound Apple has made iCloud compatible with MS Windows Vista (from 2007) yet incompatible with Snow Leopard (the current OS until 2011). Surely Apple could have simply made iCloud a seamless and painless transition by making it SL compatible?

Not sure if you are correct about not signing in and getting web mail iam on SL and opted to keep just the email facility and i have just gone to icloud on the www. and my emails are all up to date.
! dreaded this day but my email is working, same .mac name lost, all the other stuff though but like you i can update to Lion at this time
EDIT although i can access email via the web i do not think its possible to access any other mobile me stuff as a Compatible device is required for that.

moldy912
Jul 1, 2012, 03:26 PM
Only if you want. You're free to turn on selective local syncing and tell Dropbox to ignore certain folders on a particular computer. It works great.

Porn stash folders can rejoice!

Icaras
Jul 1, 2012, 03:40 PM
Hmm, I can still access my iDisk files (via OS X Finder), so it doesn't seem to be completely shut down yet? The iOS Gallery and iDisk apps are now shot though.

IJ Reilly
Jul 1, 2012, 03:43 PM
First, thanks to the person who downrated my question about whether anyone else was having problems with their migrated MobileMe/Snow Leopard email account this morning. Some people are just too cool for school.

Anyway, if this happens to anyone else, the answer is to delete your MobileMe account and create it new, following these instructions:

http://www.wilmut.webspace.virginmedia.com/notes/icloudmail.html

The basic problem seems to be the addresses of the incoming and outgoing mail servers, which when set automatically are wrong. Puzzling but true. So be careful to follow the first option-key step. Out of caution I backed up the entire mailbox first but I didn't have any problems and everything seems to work properly now. If you have any email aliases set up at me.com, you might need to enter them manually -- so a copy and paste from that line on your old account is a good idea.

iSee
Jul 1, 2012, 03:49 PM
But wasn't Apple going to go to the cloud with iWork? I thought they were going in that direction, but is it as iWork being SAAS or actually the whole thing being a cloud based offering?

By general storage, I meant something like idisk and dropbox, where the user controls the organization of documents of arbitrary type. I don't know what Apple will do with iWork. It will certainly allow you to store documents on iCloud, but I would guess the apps remain apps. But really, the app store model of distributing software and updates moves traditional native apps closer to the SAAS model in many practical respects. You can start to think of a device as an end point for running your software and accessing your documents that happens to include a cache for these resources.

krolingo
Jul 1, 2012, 04:00 PM
Plain and simple.

righteye
Jul 1, 2012, 04:04 PM
Hmm, I can still access my iDisk files (via OS X Finder), so it doesn't seem to be completely shut down yet? The iOS Gallery and iDisk apps are now shot though.

True

cgk.emu
Jul 1, 2012, 04:07 PM
Weird, when I click on the link, it has me log in, then it takes me to find my iPhone :confused:

kiljoy616
Jul 1, 2012, 04:14 PM
No! The inhumanity of it all. :( Oh wait I never used it... never mind. :p

So has anyone really been affected by it? I know iCloud and Dropbox makes my life easier. :D

SeaFox
Jul 1, 2012, 04:15 PM
Tried to log into Mobileme to visit the gallery section and download any albums I might have up there. The site takes me there and gives me a button to press to download the album to save it, but nothing happens, and the album it lists says "0 photos".

Good thing I copied all my data straight out of iDisk to my desktop yesterday, so I'm sure I have those photos already backed up. But thanks Apple for giving me a backup opportunity but then deleting the data I was supposed to be able to back up. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

kiljoy616
Jul 1, 2012, 04:18 PM

There is something funny about mac.com attached to MobileMe and iCloud been me.com no wonder some people are confused so much me, me, me. ;)

----------

The transition to iCloud went well other than the 2 grand I had to drop to buy new compatible devices....

You know you wanted to... you just needed an excuse for the misses. ;) ok maybe that was my reason. :rolleyes:

macpeach55
Jul 1, 2012, 04:29 PM
Tried to log into Mobileme to visit the gallery section and download any albums I might have up there. The site takes me there and gives me a button to press to download the album to save it, but nothing happens, and the album it lists says "0 photos".

Good thing I copied all my data straight out of iDisk to my desktop yesterday, so I'm sure I have those photos already backed up. But thanks Apple for giving me a backup opportunity but then deleting the data I was supposed to be able to back up. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Because you had already copied it of course you did not need to do it again!:rolleyes:
Your data is already backed up!
P.S. How much warning did you actually need to know mobileme closed down today? A year? A Decade? And you wait until today and then complain?

Mr. Retrofire
Jul 1, 2012, 04:29 PM
im not sure if it's related but "www.apple.com/itunes/download" is currently not available for download not sure if this is related. Also not available from software update Mac and PC.
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/5661/apple-itunes

extensor
Jul 1, 2012, 04:34 PM
There were millions using it! Just not millions enough or those millions signed up paid and never used it.

In fact I have several clients... Well wait ALL my clients signed up for MM and didn't know why or what to do or that they had an email or iDisk or website or contacts or anything.... I think that's why it failed. :(

Apple should have made a ton of common craft type training videos for MM! It would have helped.

If you need to make training videos then you're doing it wrong.

tkermit
Jul 1, 2012, 04:36 PM
The best you can hope for is the document synchronisation they've been showing off but I don't see anything appearing that'll allow the sharing of documents beyond your own account

At least some apps like GoodReader on iOS allow one to share documents via iCloud.

http://f.cl.ly/items/0o1d1D1D1A3A2T3a0M0T/sharing.png

iMikeT
Jul 1, 2012, 04:38 PM
R.I.P. MobileMe.

Here's to the future, iCloud.

macpeach55
Jul 1, 2012, 04:40 PM
If you need to make training videos then you're doing it wrong.

Your clients could not figure out Mobile Me?

Wow! You need to get some smarter clients - that was the most basic site you can find!

And if you could not put them right??!!

Lancer
Jul 1, 2012, 04:47 PM
Never used MobileME and haven't signed up to iCloud yet.

macpeach55
Jul 1, 2012, 04:56 PM

Then why post a comment?

charlituna
Jul 1, 2012, 05:08 PM

Yep. Given that folks have had about a year to handle this stuff and multiple warnings I'm a little shocked they didn't just cut it off.
My guess is that within a month most after the release of Mountain Lion they will put a final end to all unmoved accounts and the whole idisk etc side of stuff

Lancer
Jul 1, 2012, 05:09 PM
Then why post a comment?

Didn't see anything in the opening post that said I couldn't :p

charlituna
Jul 1, 2012, 05:13 PM

So some company can't be bothered to update their software and you blame Apple for that. Especially when all they really had to do was make sure the software didn't need Rosetta as they were warned a few years ago that said system wouldn't be around forever.

----------

i switched over a long time ago but i would have thought that a proper iDisk replacement would have happened by now.

Apple said they were removing iDisk, why assume it was going to be replaced at any point

----------

and in about a month you'll have it. Until then there is a way, clumsy as it is, to work between your mac and your iCloud

faroZ06
Jul 1, 2012, 05:17 PM
Genuine question.

Yeah, I just use Dropbox.

sulpfiction
Jul 1, 2012, 05:17 PM
I had totally forgotten about the iDesk until now, and since I was on a couple red eyes flight yesterday there was no way I could have done this. But it turned out to be alright, the speed is good. I was able to download close to 3G all within 20 minutes or so. Either people just don't care, or there are no many iDesk users toward the end.

What is iDesk?

How do u take multiple red eye flights on the same day?

macpeach55
Jul 1, 2012, 05:19 PM
Didn't see anything in the opening post that said I couldn't :p

But why would you? Did it add anything to the conversation people are having here - No it didn't!
Or are you just lonely and desperate for attention?

sulpfiction
Jul 1, 2012, 05:20 PM

So you haven't lost or gained a thing. :confused:

faroZ06
Jul 1, 2012, 05:30 PM
OK how about these additions:

iCloud lets you sync files between Macs that you select for syncing, not just some shared folder like iDisk was. Preferences can, of course, be synced in this way. Some online storage is available for albums and HTML sites or even for user account backup if enough storage is purchased.

Users can add others to share certain items with them. For example, a company can make their employees all in the same circle (like Google+) so that documents created on one computer will be editable or readable from other ones. Close friends can set up photo syncing between them.

There are a lot of things to be refined and added to this, but this is a start.

----------

But why would you? Did it add anything to the conversation people are having here - No it didn't!
Or are you just lonely and desperate for attention?

He's just saying that neither are very useful, which is true for some people like me. The only reason I have iCloud is because it's free, but I barely use it.

macpeach55
Jul 1, 2012, 05:34 PM
OK how about these additions:

iCloud lets you sync files between Macs that you select for syncing, not just some shared folder like iDisk was. Preferences can, of course, be synced in this way. Some online storage is available for albums and HTML sites or even for user account backup if enough storage is purchased.

Users can add others to share certain items with them. For example, a company can make their employees all in the same circle (like Google+) so that documents created on one computer will be editable or readable from other ones. Close friends can set up photo syncing between them.

There are a lot of things to be refined and added to this, but this is a start.

----------

He's just saying that neither are very useful, which is true for some people like me. The only reason I have iCloud is because it's free, but I barely use it.

Then why did he not say that? You just presume that is why he posted, you don't know for sure!

insocal
Jul 1, 2012, 05:51 PM
Does this mean the 8 1/2 months of iCloud PUSH Mail to iPhones not working except maybe 10% of the time will FINALLY be resolved?

Can't believe Macrumors never did a post about this widespread issue...I mean, look at this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3401374?start=0&tstart=0 and STILL no resolution. Ridiculous.

IJ Reilly
Jul 1, 2012, 06:11 PM
So some company can't be bothered to update their software and you blame Apple for that. Especially when all they really had to do was make sure the software didn't need Rosetta as they were warned a few years ago that said system wouldn't be around forever.

As a matter of fact, yes. The Mac is still a minority platform. Apple used to understand what this meant for their customers, but with this migration they seemed to get a case of amnesia. As a result it has been a total pain. I am still not through it and won't be until I can figure out how to replace some mission critical apps in a way that isn't disruptive or expensive.

heisetax
Jul 1, 2012, 06:16 PM
There still seems to be problems here with some that think that they know more than GOD so that means that everyone else must follow their rules. Maybe some of us may not like your comment. We have a choice just to give it a negative rating like I did to most of those that gave the person a bad time about saying that they did not use either MobileMe or iCloud. I would like to hear from those people just as much as I want to hear from you. Maybe even more from the non-user person.

AidenShaw
Jul 1, 2012, 07:01 PM
So some company can't be bothered to update their software and you blame Apple for that.

If it were Windows, you'd blame Microsoft - but wait, Microsoft bends over backwards to ensure that almost all legacy software still works.

Especially when all they really had to do was make sure the software didn't need Rosetta as they were warned a few years ago that said system wouldn't be around forever.

Please give a citation of any warning that Apple gave that Rosetta would be dropped.

And, cite something that doesn't require "reading between the lines". For example, a statement like

Products Released General Availability Mainstream Support Extended Support
Date End Date End Date

Windows XP Professional 31/12/2001 14/04/2009 08/04/2014
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&C2=1173

How about a widget for your desktop to let you know how many days of support remaining?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11662&hash=0QwGlcMFR9SJi4VKtaqOjNn6zcN3w%2fxQYem6mIJ2awWCaZA6xvmvmAQ6JaRaxqfbRtK3Qx4zY1rXM%2fAGkfn6ug%3d%3 d

sazivad
Jul 1, 2012, 07:04 PM
Expect an update to Lion coming soon with bug fixes and the removal of all references to MobileMe. Unless they decide to leave Lion alone and just release Mountain Lion.

LimeiBook86
Jul 1, 2012, 08:11 PM
Did they just add the 'Download All Albums' button? (If they didn't I must be blind...)

Either way - I'm very thankful they did, I have most of my photos on iPhoto, but this way I can download them all just to play it safe. :)

JayLenochiniMac
Jul 1, 2012, 08:12 PM
Did they just add the 'Download All Albums' button? (If they didn't I must be blind...)

It's been there for a while in a slightly different form.

LimeiBook86
Jul 1, 2012, 08:17 PM
It's been there for a while in a slightly different form.

That explains it.

Sadly upon closer inspection it just compresses an album and asks you to download it, seems to be skipping over some, but maybe it's combining them? At least I just have to keep clicking 'Download'...

bedifferent
Jul 1, 2012, 08:20 PM
It's a viable replacement only if it supports all file types as it did in iDisk.

Agree :)

Apple has been a bit vague with us developers. Without breaking any possible NDA (pre-emptive statement for the "You have an NDA!" minorities ;) ), there have been hints that "Documents" would be akin to a file structure in the cloud (contrary to what Jobs may have stated, and Jobs has been known to throw out misinformation from time to time).

Time will tell :)

JayLenochiniMac
Jul 1, 2012, 09:42 PM
Sadly upon closer inspection it just compresses an album and asks you to download it, seems to be skipping over some, but maybe it's combining them? At least I just have to keep clicking 'Download'...

Well, it's redundant anyway if you have a Mac. When you open iPhoto and click on the MobileMe gallery, they get migrated into an album so it's still there for your convenience.

Doctor Q
Jul 1, 2012, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I just use Dropbox.
I occasionally used MobileMe's file-sharing, but can live without it. The other day I tried CloudApp (http://getcloudapp.com/), a convenient way to put a file in the cloud and share a link.

MrNomNoms
Jul 1, 2012, 10:18 PM
So you haven't lost or gained a thing. :confused:

He's probably boasting because he's 'not part of the system dude!'

Over The Hill
Jul 1, 2012, 10:44 PM
If it were Windows, you'd blame Microsoft - but wait, Microsoft bends over backwards to ensure that almost all legacy software still works.

Please give a citation of any warning that Apple gave that Rosetta would be dropped.

And, cite something that doesn't require "reading between the lines". For example, a statement like

Products Released General Availability Mainstream Support Extended Support
Date End Date End Date

Windows XP Professional 31/12/2001 14/04/2009 08/04/2014
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&C2=1173

How about a widget for your desktop to let you know how many days of support remaining?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11662&hash=0QwGlcMFR9SJi4VKtaqOjNn6zcN3w%2fxQYem6mIJ2awWCaZA6xvmvmAQ6JaRaxqfbRtK3Qx4zY1rXM%2fAGkfn6ug%3d%3 d

Windows XP support was extended not out of pure heart as far as i recall. Rosetta was a transitional software. It was a given that at some point it would be dropped.

aajeev
Jul 1, 2012, 11:04 PM
What is iDesk?

How do u take multiple red eye flights on the same day?

iDisk was what Apple used to call this internet drive which you can mount like a cd-rom or USB for you to access anything you have on your MobileMe account (files) over the internet.

As for the multiple red eyes flight, it was one early a.m. flight, followed by another connoting early a.m. flight about an hour later. The point was, even if I had remember about the MobileMe shut down, there was no way for me to access my data.

faroZ06
Jul 1, 2012, 11:46 PM
I occasionally used MobileMe's file-sharing, but can live without it. The other day I tried CloudApp (http://getcloudapp.com/), a convenient way to put a file in the cloud and share a link.

Actually, I mostly use AFP and SSH connections to my Mac Pro from my MacBook.

----------

Then why did he not say that? You just presume that is why he posted, you don't know for sure!

If he doesn't use it, he's either an extreme hater (not likely) or someone who just doesn't find it useful. I don't see any other reasons why he would not use it.

SeaFox
Jul 2, 2012, 01:16 AM
Because you had already copied it of course you did not need to do it again!:rolleyes:
Your data is already backed up!
P.S. How much warning did you actually need to know mobileme closed down today? A year? A Decade? And you wait until today and then complain?

You clearly didn't understand what I said so I don't know why you bothered replying. :rolleyes:

I had my iDisk mapped as a network folder on a Windows 8 PC, and just dragged the folders out of iDisk to a local drive to copy them on June 30th. I hadn't used the "download gallery" command yet. MobileMe isn't going to be aware I had backed up the files, so the "download gallery" button should still work (also, I like how you assume you can only use the command once, yeah Apple would have a real problem with me downloading a picture gallery twice).

Anyway, I saw the news here that MobileMe was truly shut down and that the data was still available to retrieve. So I thought I'd try the download gallery function since I was curious if it was going to give the gallery html files or just the photos, package everything into a ZIP file, etc. Only when I tried to use it and found that despite my data supposedly being still available to download according to Apple, no, they already had deleted it.

That's my point here. The retrieval feature is broken because the data is already gone when it should still be there. I don't have an issue with lost data, because I'm aware of other ways of retrieving my files than doing it with Apple's gallery backup tool and had already done so, but other people might not be so lucky.

MacOSXuser
Jul 2, 2012, 01:36 AM
Good night MobileMe, you will be missed.

immaculate
Jul 2, 2012, 01:49 AM
Genuine question.

Erm, yes you have. It's called the Public Folder. In Dropbox, Box, SugarSync etc you can share individual files (and folders?) by emailing a unique link to the recipient. That's a lot of emailing if you have twenty+ files and 100 participants at a workshop.

And I also work in contexts where I don't even know the names, never mind the email addresses, of people who need to access files - so how is Dropbox going to help me? (If Dropbox has this feature, I stand corrected.)

Enter the Public Folder: all people need to know is my web site URL. From there they can link directly to my Public Folder, and access whatever they want. This was a great feature of iDisk that has been lost with its demise.

As mentioned above, as far as I know, Dropbox etc don't offer this. The only replacement I have found is Wuala (http://www.wuala.com), which I therefore recommend to anyone else in my position.

Iggy
Jul 2, 2012, 03:38 AM
Such a shame. I've used iDisk constantly for years, as far back as .Mac. Such a silly move from Apple, reducing functionality. Been using Dropbox for the past week, it's not the same!

Lancer
Jul 2, 2012, 04:41 AM

Yes!

I will admit trying iCloud when I updated my iPhone to iOS 5 but haven't used it since. Good backup solution and sync with my Mac ever 2nd day is doing me just fine.

newagemac
Jul 2, 2012, 05:25 AM
Well said! Events should just be a link to a bunch of pictures you want grouped together. Removing an Event should not remove the originals.

That would be completely inconsistent with how iPhoto has always worked. Events always contain the actual originals. If you delete an event, it always deletes the photos contained in it. It is albums that are just links back to the originals and you can delete an album without actually deleting any original photos.

Apple seems to have done the correct thing.

----------

Deleting events always deletes photos. You're thinking about albums. If Apple put them into an album then you would have been able to delete them with no problem. But if they are in an event, they aren't just links they are hard copies. You still could have had those pictures in another event though.

HelveticaRoman
Jul 2, 2012, 05:25 AM
Apple's position on iDisk seems to be along the lines of "You're the two thousandth person I've told today: there's no demand for it." Or am I being unfair on them?

WilliamLondon
Jul 2, 2012, 05:43 AM

I used iDisk all the time and will really miss it, sharing files easily with my family/friends in the US (I'm in the UK). DropBox is sort of expensive, but I did find a service that offers 5GB free (and upgradeable) which I'm trialling right now called SugarSync (http://www.sugarsync.com/). Seems okay, and 5GB free is better than DropBox's 2GB free. :-)

AppleMark
Jul 2, 2012, 07:13 AM
R.I.P

You will always me .mac to me...

carboncow
Jul 2, 2012, 07:26 AM

Maybe you are low need user but iDisk was a train wreck of slow speeds and a horrible implementation. If it's the most feature in the buddle for you why didn't you RUN to Drop Box? (fast) or Googles InSync (moderate) for far less then MobileMe ever cost?

----------

Such a shame. I've used iDisk constantly for years, as far back as .Mac. Such a silly move from Apple, reducing functionality. Been using Dropbox for the past week, it's not the same!

Iggy, DropBox is superior in every way to the file storage with iDisk...plus the speed of iDisk was unbearable. Sometimes 100x (no exaggeration) then Drop Box. To me iDisk was the worst feature in the MobileMe package!

What features are you missing?

vampyr
Jul 2, 2012, 08:57 AM
If MobileMe is no longer... why is there still a MobileMe icon in the settings of my Mac OSX Lion?

Also.. iPhoto has an option to link to MobileMe.

Shouldn't Apple remove these from their OS?

sloken
Jul 2, 2012, 09:47 AM
That would be completely inconsistent with how iPhoto has always worked. Events always contain the actual originals. If you delete an event, it always deletes the photos contained in it. It is albums that are just links back to the originals and you can delete an album without actually deleting any original photos.

Apple seems to have done the correct thing.

----------

Deleting events always deletes photos. You're thinking about albums. If Apple put them into an album then you would have been able to delete them with no problem. But if they are in an event, they aren't just links they are hard copies. You still could have had those pictures in another event though.

They moved the pictures and videos from the original event and put them in the new event though.

AidenShaw
Jul 2, 2012, 10:01 AM
Windows XP support was extended not out of pure heart as far as i recall. Rosetta was a transitional software. It was a given that at some point it would be dropped.

I was asking for links to announcements by Apple warning in advance that Rosetta would be discontinued.

Microsoft not only published clear support end dates, but listened to their customers and extended those dates.

sananda
Jul 2, 2012, 10:09 AM
Maybe you are low need user but iDisk was a train wreck of slow speeds and a horrible implementation.

It was slow via Finder but plenty fast via other methods.

Peace
Jul 2, 2012, 10:44 AM
Looks like iWork will be renovated by July 31st.

maconservative
Jul 2, 2012, 12:23 PM

NOT COOL APPLE!!!

When I opened iPhoto, it automatically created a new album from all my photos from the MobileMe gallery. I had already made sure months ago that these photos from MobileMe were on my iMac. All of the these photos were of my daughter from when she was born until three years of age. iPhoto then proceeded to delete all Events associated with these photos and group them all into one "From MobileMe" Event and Album.

I spent a fair amount of time creating all these Events and Albums for a reason. Definitely not cool Apple.

Over The Hill
Jul 2, 2012, 01:39 PM
I was asking for links to announcements by Apple warning in advance that Rosetta would be discontinued.

Microsoft not only published clear support end dates, but listened to their customers and extended those dates.

I didnít know Apple was bound to do so after when Apple supported this transitional software for 3 MAJOR Mac OS X releases.
Fact is some developers just kept sleeping this nice beauty sleep (like Intuit). The train has arrived and departed the station.

I agree though that setting that date from the start would have been more clear.

PinkyMacGodess
Jul 2, 2012, 03:20 PM
By general storage, I meant something like idisk and dropbox, where the user controls the organization of documents of arbitrary type. I don't know what Apple will do with iWork. It will certainly allow you to store documents on iCloud, but I would guess the apps remain apps. But really, the app store model of distributing software and updates moves traditional native apps closer to the SAAS model in many practical respects. You can start to think of a device as an end point for running your software and accessing your documents that happens to include a cache for these resources.

Hey, and then Apple reminds people that iWork.com is going bye bye at the end of July in favor of iCloud.

I am so not feeling the love from iCloud, and I hope someone from Apple trips across this spleen vent:

It's too damn complicated. Why? Well, my spouse has a yahoo.com email address. Had it for years. They are attached to it. They get an iPhone and are setup with a MobileMe account. Then an AppleID, of which they already had one. The AppleID is their name, the MobileMe address is a contraction of their name. They get a new i-something device, and try to set it up. They get an error on the AppleID. Frantically they enter their yahoo.com email address and *POOF* they have changed their AppleID to their yahoo.com address. We fight to get their calendar shared and finally pull it off. Things are working great. Until (ominous music crescendos in the background) iCloud comes around. *BOOM* they convert their (what they think is their) MobileMe address (still *@mac.com) and it appears to work. OK... Well, calendar's won't share. Hmmm... MobileMe announcement comes out: "I'ts gone". No idea what the Apple ID is. No idea what the password for the *@mac.com password is, and no way apparently to change it. Calendar's still don't work. Try to login to iCloud. Nope. Password is bad. Odd that... On and on and on... Finally give up...

Somehow, there apparently are TWO AppleID's, ONE mac.com email address, no way to change password. TWO ID's for iTunes! Nothing works, nothing easy to change. Finally got one AppleID password changed, but the mac.com email is on the other AppleID which we can't get the password changed on because we can't get the damn name of the AppleID it's under...

Cussing, swearing, loud language... Dropped the whole thing... It's too damn complicated...

PLUS not to mention that the frustration level builds, and the yelling starts, and then nothing is accomplished. It's bad when even I am frustrated.

----------

XP support was extended because of Vista, and people's reluctance to go to Windows 7...

X38
Jul 2, 2012, 03:25 PM

I agree. iWeb and iPhoto & iMovie gallery were super useful for me. iDisk was handy too. After all these years of paying good money to rely on dotmac and then MobileMe, this really pisses me off. Stupid move Apple. Fix this quick - so far iCloud is a mockery of what MobileMe was.

AidenShaw
Jul 2, 2012, 05:52 PM
I didnít know Apple was bound to do so after when Apple supported this transitional software...

Exactly why Apple computers fail in the enterprise - Microsoft feels "bound to" give customers roadmaps and dates.

The NTVDM (the 16-bit DOS subsystem for NT) was a transitional environment - to let people run their 16-bit and Windows 3.1 applications on NT (and Win2K and XP and Vista* and Win7*). That's 20 years of supporting a "transitional" environment.

I am not saying that Apple should have supported QuickTransit (AKA "Rosetta") forever, but simply that Apple should have made a clear statement as to when QuickTransit would be removed.

Microsoft makes those statements (644 days left for XP support).

* For x64 versions of Vista and Win7, native NTVDM support is not provided. Customers with 16-bit applications can choose either the x86 versions of Vista/Win7, or to run their 16-bit apps within "XP Mode" on the x64 versions.

ShibaDog
Jul 2, 2012, 11:58 PM
Certainly not Apple's finest hour. From the beginning, the whole thing was a mess. From .mac to .me to iCloud, it was all handled in a very amateurish fashion. I'm still a fan of Apple, but the Apple brand has definitely lost the cachet it once had with me. For me, the Apple brand promise was a set of expectations like "it'll work", "we make it easy" and "we'll take care of you, because you're in the club." Not when it comes to MobileMe. And it's especially disheartening because most of us MobileMe users were the most loyal early adopters you can get. We stuck with Apple, even though they botched the transitions and generally treated us like crap. A lot of us now have messed up Apple IDs because the crack engineering team can't seem to figure out a single-sign-in solution for us. With the boatload of cash Apple has on hand, couldn't they have put together a transition strategy or even suggest a viable process. That's the way I dumped Cindy Evans in high school, but it's not the way a loyal and valuable customer should be treated. Apple says "it was fun while it lasted. Now gather up your stuff, give me your key, and get out by July 1st." And when we ask "what will we do and where will we go?" we get their best Rhett Butler imitation. Okay, I moved on. I know it's a business, after all, and not a fraternity. But I'll remember this. I will. And so will thousands of MobileMe refugees just like me. June 30, 2012 was the day Apple started taking us for granted, and Steve rolled over in his grave.

ixodes
Jul 3, 2012, 12:03 AM
It's great to see the end of MobileMe. Too bad it's DNA is baked into iCloud. It will be interesting to see what Apple does now. They need to be honest with themselves & hire a team that knows how to fix it.

akbarali.ch
Jul 3, 2012, 12:55 PM
Can you use/sign in to gmail using a .me ID ?

just curious mind you.

No, You need google ID to log into gmail but i can login into icloud using @gmail.com :)

thefourthpope
Jul 3, 2012, 11:35 PM
The message should be clear: Apple has no intention of providing that functionality for iOS devices.

I agree. And I'm disappointed. That's why I wish they would add that functionality.

thefourthpope
Jul 3, 2012, 11:50 PM
Genuine question.

I use Dropbox as well, but had iDisk from the start. There were always limitations, the key one being how long syncing of iDisk would take. But on the whole, I preferred iDisk because it worked more seamlessly with the apple devices I own. Some of the apps that I use most frequently don't play with Dropbox (I can't find / don't know how to set up a free WebDAV option) but did work perfectly with iDisk.
These boards are always peppered with people praising the apple ecosystem, and rightfully so. iDisk was, for me, an important part of that ecosystem for easy file sharing across devices. It was purely ease-of-use in that setting, so I didn't have to close out of an app, open dropbox, find the file, tap "open in ______" and wait for the file to load. With iDisk gone, my options for in-app file sharing are more limited.

thefourthpope
Jul 4, 2012, 12:17 AM
What I don't understand is how imperfect iCloud is. I never have a stability issue with it, features are expanding which is cool. I accept it may not be as feature heavy as .mac or mobileme, but surely for free it's actually very feature heavy? Perhaps you can explain to me :)

iCloud has been great for me except for docs in the cloud. At this moment, the system for sharing or working with a shared document on the desktop is
unacceptable: log into iCloud.com and upload/download? With iDisk, it was as easy as working with a local file.

On my idevices, I have problems of documents constantly needing to reload. If I've turned my iPad off in between opening keynote, for example, all of the presentations need to reload, which requires a) Internet and b) time. And I can't tap them to say "stop those other 10 and focus on the one I care about!" Happens in Pages too, with the stupid little white-on-black upload arrow in the thumbnail corner, and the interminable blue progress bar. Hardly seamless. Hardly consistent. Hardly useful for someone on the go.

iDisk kept local storage on idevices, too, so frequently used files were always available, Internet or no.

Mac Eagle
Jul 5, 2012, 09:21 AM
When I opened iPhoto, it automatically created a new album from all my photos from the MobileMe gallery. I had already made sure months ago that these photos from MobileMe were on my iMac. All of the these photos were of my daughter from when she was born until three years of age. iPhoto then proceeded to delete all Events associated with these photos and group them all into one "From MobileMe" Event and Album.

I spent a fair amount of time creating all these Events and Albums for a reason. Definitely not cool Apple.

YES, I agree this is a total crap move by Apple. I to have spent a large amount of time creating specific EVENTS for all my photos. In no way did I think they were going to strip out all the photos that I had uploaded to MobileMe from my individually created events and dump them into a new event. I was expecting them to create ALBUMS, which would just be a new link to the original, which would have been the right thing to do because you could still use that ALBUM to recreate the MobileMe Gallery. There was NO NEED to modify my EVENTS.

I don't know if I should load my TimeMachine backup of my iPhoto album to undo this change, the problem being they almost force you to do this process unless you click Learn More instead of OK (how long will you have to put up with this) or if I should take the time to go through all 400+ pictures and put them back in their correct EVENTS.

In my opinion, this was a total boneheaded move by Apple! :mad:

jonoville
Jul 8, 2012, 03:21 AM
Just found out MobileMe has been scrapped by Apple.
I know you people will say I had a year to learn about this but I don't read mac sites all the time & never received any notification about it in my emails so I was not privy to this info.
I checked the web site only to find it was gone & it seems that I am 1 week too la te do get the stuff from it.
Thankyou Apple for making me loose my travel website which had my blog which was a week by week account of me & my partners 2 year trip around Australia, plus of course over a thousand photos.
I hope my partner & I have a good memory as it seems it is all we have left of it.
Thankyou again Apple...And I always thought Microsoft were the bastards

Doctor Q
Jul 8, 2012, 03:30 PM
Thankyou Apple for making me loose my travel website which had my blog which was a week by week account of me & my partners 2 year trip around Australia, plus of course over a thousand photos.
I hope my partner & I have a good memory as it seems it is all we have left of it.
I suggest that you call Apple and plead your case. Their official support for MobileMe web sites ended last week and they aren't going to reverse that, but perhaps they can do something for you individually. Complaining to us other users may let you express your frustration, but only Apple can do something about it.

You can also submit feedback (http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html) to Apple.

sloken
Jul 12, 2012, 07:10 PM

Given that Apple released an update to iPhoto today with the following description:
What's New in Version 9.3.1
ē Addresses a problem during the migration of albums from MobileMe Gallery that may cause photos to be moved from their original events into a new event called "From MobileMe"
Maybe you should "put your brain into gear before clicking your mouse button" to submit your input...